PDA

View Full Version : Share your first job experience.

Graduation
04-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Hi guys i know most people who use this forum are students.
I too am a student and is curious about the working situation after school.
So hope that you guys could help out and share your working experience for your first job. ty

HermanS
06-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Hi guys i know most people who use this forum are students.
I too am a student and is curious about the working situation after school.
So hope that you guys could help out and share your working experience for your first job. ty

By first job, do you mean a permanent full time job in a company? If so, I'd be able to share with you a brief account of my personal experience - note that this will vary among different people - there are many factors that affects your job and how much you enjoy it.

I work for an online media company - it wasn't my first choice, but I received a job offer from them earlier and decided that I would take it up because I wasn't entirely confident of getting into the other company I had my eye on. In the beginning, I regretted my decision and I was finding every excuse to leave - this is because I had a stubborn set of ideas of how I wanted things to be and I was closed to every other option. I didn't get the call from the latter company, and more than half a year into my job here, I can tell you that my experience here was not at all how I imagined it to be. The takeaway from this is that sometimes when you don't get what you want, don't be so quick to write off all the other alternatives that are available - I learnt that besides the type of company you work for, the people you work with also play a very important factor (if not more) in your job experience and satisfaction - I'm lucky in that I work with a team of supportive people, we communicate well and we get things done, when it gets rough, knowing that someone has your back helps alot too.

You've probably heard your friends and family members complain about their co-workers - about how they're at each others throats and how everyone is backstabbing each other - and overall how unpleasant it is to work with some people. This may be a contentious point, but I always think that it takes 2 hands to clap - save for a minority of people who are really hellspawns from the netherworld, I feel most people are just trying to get by, and most of the time, their behaviour and mannerisms towards you is a direct reaction to how you are and how you handle a situation - take for example a boss that likes to micromanage everything that his employees do, then he wonders to himself why all his employees need to be spoonfed with instructions all the time and doesn't take initiative with anything - my point being, if you feel that someone is effed up because he or she is like this or that, ask yourself if you might be the cause of it, and what you can do differently to make that person in turn behave or treat you differently. Of course, it's not your fault all the time, and the thing is, some people are the way they are, and when you're able to come to terms with that, and go with the flow, while still maintaining and staying true to your own set of believes and goals, your life in the working world becomes much easier and less stressful.

Before graduation, I asked my sister how's working life like, she says that it's a tough environment and sometimes it sucks alot, there's truth in that - but I enjoy the autonomy and self reliance that I get with a regular income, that I'm able to contribute to the household, and the fact that I control how I want to live and what kind of life I want to make for myself - I don't really miss school all that much to be honest.

Hope my sharing gave you a little insight :)