PDA

View Full Version : Overseas or local?

almuzzi
04-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Hey guys, I've just ORDed (yay) and am now facing the dilemma of where to go for college. I've been admitted to the University of Michigan College of Enigineering and NUS Industrial and Systems Engineering (Reapplying for DDP ISE and Biz this year).

From what I've gathered, its much much harder to get into U-M or any other top college in the US, simply because the people who apply to these colleges (from Spore) present very competitive stats.

So I'm in a bit of a spot. Which university should I choose? Assuming I'll be able to attend both without any financial problems. I do not plan to work in Spore in the future, so I'd like to know if sg graduates from U-M find it easy to land a good job in the international market.

I know U-M isnt very well known locally, but it is ranked internationally much higher than NUS. However, NUS is much cheaper, and ISE is pretty hard to get into so I'm really not sure where to go. Some opinions would be much appreciated!

hlyeo
04-22-2012, 08:58 PM
I was in the same exact spot last year, and didn't decide till the last minute to come to U of M. From experience, here's what I can share with you:
1. Take the path that you will not regret. Ten years down the road, would you regret not coming to Michigan or not going to NUS?
2. I'm doing Industrial and Operations Engineering here, and the program is top-ranked.
3. As for school fees, it's possible to graduate within 3 years if you did A levels, because you'd have at least one year's worth of credits. so when taking the tuition fees into account, you can assume that you will graduate in three years if you really want to save money.
4. Another reason why I chose to come here was because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I came into college thinking I was going to be an Electrical Engineer, but a lot of things changed in the past year. Michigan is strong in many programs, and it's easy to change majors here when you find something you really like. Not everyone knows what they like at the age of 18, so it's good to give yourself more space to explore different fields.
5. NUS has exchange programs with Michigan, so you might want to talk to some of them to learn more about the difference between the two schools. If you decide to go to NUS at the end of the day, you can still come to Michigan for an exchange!

That's about it. If you really need more info, feel free to drop me a PM.

mengshuen
04-29-2012, 06:14 PM
I was in the same exact spot last year, and didn't decide till the last minute to come to U of M. From experience, here's what I can share with you:
1. Take the path that you will not regret. Ten years down the road, would you regret not coming to Michigan or not going to NUS?
2. I'm doing Industrial and Operations Engineering here, and the program is top-ranked.
3. As for school fees, it's possible to graduate within 3 years if you did A levels, because you'd have at least one year's worth of credits. so when taking the tuition fees into account, you can assume that you will graduate in three years if you really want to save money.
4. Another reason why I chose to come here was because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I came into college thinking I was going to be an Electrical Engineer, but a lot of things changed in the past year. Michigan is strong in many programs, and it's easy to change majors here when you find something you really like. Not everyone knows what they like at the age of 18, so it's good to give yourself more space to explore different fields.
5. NUS has exchange programs with Michigan, so you might want to talk to some of them to learn more about the difference between the two schools. If you decide to go to NUS at the end of the day, you can still come to Michigan for an exchange!

That's about it. If you really need more info, feel free to drop me a PM.
Michigan is very strong in its engineering; the same can be said for NUS.

If you do not plan to work in Singapore, Michigan might provide that edge over NUS. There are opportunities unique to each country, but I think it is well-known that many significant engineering firms hire in Michigan.

Don't regret your college decision, like what Yeo said.