PDA

View Full Version : engineering degree in 3 years??

chromni
06-26-2012, 03:48 PM
As the title says, can an engineering degree in the US be completed in 3 years? Considering that I ll receive credit for A level and H3 subjects. Also, will it be overly stressful?

yeosu
06-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Also, will it be overly stressful?

well, for what its worth, I know people who have studied in local uni first before transferring over to the US, and they have all said that it is much more stressful in singapore.

how many credits will you be receiving for your a-level subjects?

chromni
06-27-2012, 01:27 AM
well, for what its worth, I know people who have studied in local uni first before transferring over to the US, and they have all said that it is much more stressful in singapore.

how many credits will you be receiving for your a-level subjects?

hmm not sure about the credits but its exemption from 2 modules of math, 1 for physics and 1 for chem.

patryn33
06-27-2012, 07:54 AM
sure! I have seen American finishing a UMICH EE degree in 2.5yrs.
overly stressful really depends, which Engineering school are U going to?
MIT class or Cali State Class? then again are U aiming for 2.0 to grad or a 4.0? take makes a difference too

chromni
06-27-2012, 09:01 PM
sure! I have seen American finishing a UMICH EE degree in 2.5yrs.
overly stressful really depends, which Engineering school are U going to?
MIT class or Cali State Class? then again are U aiming for 2.0 to grad or a 4.0? take makes a difference too

I am going to CMU, for comp engineering, which would be umich standard i guess? I am aiming for a first, so at least 3.75.

patryn33
06-28-2012, 08:10 AM
I am going to CMU, for comp engineering, which would be umich standard i guess? I am aiming for a first, so at least 3.75.

> 3.75 dean's list with high honors
3.5 - 3.75 deals list with honors

CMU don't have latin honors system. UMICH does not do latin but much like UCB
http://www.lsa.umich.edu/students/academicsrequirements/honorsawards/graduationhonors
top 3% of their class are recommended for a degree "with Highest Distinction." Those students who rank in the top 10% of their class but not in the top 3% are recommended for a degree "with High Distinction." Those students who rank in the top 25% of their class but not in the top 10% are recommended for a degree "with Distinction."

some historical stats in UMICH's LSA, usually GPA ~3.5 or better is the Uni top 20-25%.
http://www.lsa.umich.edu/students/academicsrequirements/honorsawards/graduationhonors/historicaldistinctionlevels_ci

mengshuen
07-03-2012, 09:23 PM
For CMU, it should be do-able.

With your H2 Math, Physics (and Chem), and mother tongue, you should get quite a bit of exemption. From there, if you take about 50-ish units per semester, 3 years isn't a problem- in fact, that's the norm.

chromni
07-04-2012, 12:20 PM
For CMU, it should be do-able.

With your H2 Math, Physics (and Chem), and mother tongue, you should get quite a bit of exemption. From there, if you take about 50-ish units per semester, 3 years isn't a problem- in fact, that's the norm.

Looks like you are right, I got my credits a couple of days ago. 76 units of credit, I need 379 units for graduation. So it seems very much possible now.

Thanks for the replies everyone! :)

patryn33
07-14-2012, 09:26 AM
many times not all transfer credit applies towards the 379 credits to graduate.
U have to sit with your adviser to accurately determine who many left to grad.

singapura
07-26-2012, 05:28 AM
The modular system makes the programme very flexible. That is the hallmark of US degree programmes. You can apply to increase your workload to work through your degree faster, and even before you graduate you can enrol on and have classes overlap with an advanced grad school programme. There was one such Singaporean many yrs my junior who completed an engineering programme in 2 yrs and a graduate programme in another 2 yrs because he was doing modules broadly that counted towards both his programmes. This is not uncommon and he was a news feature on the Straits Times as a pres scholar. The news was a bit exaggerrated. Many other Singaporeans have also ever done this.

patryn33
07-27-2012, 06:17 AM
finishing grad degree (masters) in 2yrs is normal.

what many scholars has done is finish bach in ~2.5yrs and Msc in ~1.5yrs.
Grad classes do have pre-req so that is not always possible depending on Uni.

having said so, one need to maintain good GPA and GRE to smooth transition to the Grad school.

With regards to overlapping of classes btw 2 programs, some Uni don't allow that. one is expected to take a different class to make up the credits cannot use the same class taken in undergrad to account for grad course work.