PDA

View Full Version : Urgent! Visas and General Limitations


praetorian
06-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a very unique (at least so far in what I've seen or heard) situation to share with you guys, and any constructive suggestion and feedback would be greatly appreciated. What would NOT be appreciated, however, are comments on how silly/wrong/indecisive/stupid/etc. I had been in the past two years, as I have been put on trial and found guilty as charged already.

Alright, straight to the story. I believe I ought to start right at the beginning. It was in 2010 that I received official confirmation that I was to be offered a place in Cornell University, under the School of Hotel Administration (personal interest). It was the only school I applied to as when I was applying, I was still a cadet in OCS and had to steal scraps of time to even churn out this single decent application.

Of course, I requested a deferment on the basis of NS, intending to go in in 2011. In the meantime, while I was serving out the remainder of my post-OCS NS, I had joined a singing competition which had begun in December of 2010 and ended around May 2011. Yes, I was that free, since I was not stay-in. Long story short, I won that competition and was offered a chance to release an album, but it required me to be around for the period of October 11 to Feb 12. After much discussion and deliberation with friends and family, we decided to take a gap year for this, considering it a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

In the same period as the competition (end '10 to early '11), I was also busy trying to get myself a scholarship to send me overseas, as there were concerns about the ability for my family to provide the funds necessary. Unfortunately, I did not receive any offers, for whatever reason I do not know. At this point, I had a serious discussion with my mother as to whether she could send me there. She explained that yes she would be able to pay the yearly amount, if she were to tighten her purse strings drastically. Somewhat irresponsibly, I thanked her for that and accepted her offer. She was also agreeable to my gap year decision. So at this point, I had requested another deferment, and now was slated to enroll in Aug 2012. I also had an offer from SMU (LKCSP) and NUS, but declined both of them.

Again, long story short, the recording contract ended quite abruptly and without any album being released. This was due to the amount of commitment that I could not give, due to having gotten myself a job to sustain myself (the preparations for the album did not pay me anything). This was in the financial planning industry, which I currently am in.

Since I was supposed to to Cornell in Aug this year, I began my preparations while I was working. Unfortunately, I found out that instead of simply paying yearly, Cornell required me to prove to them that I had the FULL amount (approx. 320,000 SGD) in a bank letter so that they could give me the I-20 and so on, you guys should be familiar with the process.

Now, I had to rush to find some form of way to get that kind of money. I stumbled upon the solution to do a mortgage loan to put the money into my bank account, just to get the bank's letter. Once I have gotten the letter, I intended to return the money in full, incurring a small penalty of 1% of the loan amount.

A short aside: my family is very cash-illiquid, as most of the liquid cash are locked up in assets. This is why I could not get the bank statement as easily as I should have.

Now, to do the mortgage loan, I need to have the title deed -- which, unfortunately again, was misplaced and could not be found. No issue, we'll just get a new one, right? But to my horror, I found that it takes a minimum of 6 weeks for me to get a new title deed. By this time, it was already coming to the end of May. Without this option, I started frantically to scour for sources of funds: my boss, my friends, etc. but to no avail. I was at my wits' end, but I never gave up.

Now, in a cruel twist of fate, just a couple weeks ago two things happened at the same time. First, the broker I was speaking to went on her maternity leave and was replaced by another lady, who told me that, in fact, I did not need my title deed (the property evaluation could be done with information from the URA portal). Second, my mother found the title deed.

Fast forward to today, and to the reason why I am posting this here: I would like to humbly ask, what can I do now? From what I hear, it is far too late to get my visa up and ready by matriculation this August. I would resign myself to studying locally, but university application deadlines for 2012 have also closed. I would really hate to have to take another gap year, since if I do, I would be enrolling as a pretty old tard. I mean, I have no worries about career starting late as I have already embarked on mine and can continue while studying.

Thanks for reading this really long story. I would really appreciate generous help from all of you.

Jackson

iamstrong
06-27-2012, 01:55 PM
good luck !

HappyNS
06-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a very unique (at least so far in what I've seen or heard) situation to share with you guys, and any constructive suggestion and feedback would be greatly appreciated. What would NOT be appreciated, however, are comments on how silly/wrong/indecisive/stupid/etc. I had been in the past two years, as I have been put on trial and found guilty as charged already.

Alright, straight to the story. I believe I ought to start right at the beginning. It was in 2010 that I received official confirmation that I was to be offered a place in Cornell University, under the School of Hotel Administration (personal interest). It was the only school I applied to as when I was applying, I was still a cadet in OCS and had to steal scraps of time to even churn out this single decent application.

Of course, I requested a deferment on the basis of NS, intending to go in in 2011. In the meantime, while I was serving out the remainder of my post-OCS NS, I had joined a singing competition which had begun in December of 2010 and ended around May 2011. Yes, I was that free, since I was not stay-in. Long story short, I won that competition and was offered a chance to release an album, but it required me to be around for the period of October 11 to Feb 12. After much discussion and deliberation with friends and family, we decided to take a gap year for this, considering it a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

In the same period as the competition (end '10 to early '11), I was also busy trying to get myself a scholarship to send me overseas, as there were concerns about the ability for my family to provide the funds necessary. Unfortunately, I did not receive any offers, for whatever reason I do not know. At this point, I had a serious discussion with my mother as to whether she could send me there. She explained that yes she would be able to pay the yearly amount, if she were to tighten her purse strings drastically. Somewhat irresponsibly, I thanked her for that and accepted her offer. She was also agreeable to my gap year decision. So at this point, I had requested another deferment, and now was slated to enroll in Aug 2012. I also had an offer from SMU (LKCSP) and NUS, but declined both of them.

Again, long story short, the recording contract ended quite abruptly and without any album being released. This was due to the amount of commitment that I could not give, due to having gotten myself a job to sustain myself (the preparations for the album did not pay me anything). This was in the financial planning industry, which I currently am in.

Since I was supposed to to Cornell in Aug this year, I began my preparations while I was working. Unfortunately, I found out that instead of simply paying yearly, Cornell required me to prove to them that I had the FULL amount (approx. 320,000 SGD) in a bank letter so that they could give me the I-20 and so on, you guys should be familiar with the process.

Now, I had to rush to find some form of way to get that kind of money. I stumbled upon the solution to do a mortgage loan to put the money into my bank account, just to get the bank's letter. Once I have gotten the letter, I intended to return the money in full, incurring a small penalty of 1% of the loan amount.

A short aside: my family is very cash-illiquid, as most of the liquid cash are locked up in assets. This is why I could not get the bank statement as easily as I should have.

Now, to do the mortgage loan, I need to have the title deed -- which, unfortunately again, was misplaced and could not be found. No issue, we'll just get a new one, right? But to my horror, I found that it takes a minimum of 6 weeks for me to get a new title deed. By this time, it was already coming to the end of May. Without this option, I started frantically to scour for sources of funds: my boss, my friends, etc. but to no avail. I was at my wits' end, but I never gave up.

Now, in a cruel twist of fate, just a couple weeks ago two things happened at the same time. First, the broker I was speaking to went on her maternity leave and was replaced by another lady, who told me that, in fact, I did not need my title deed (the property evaluation could be done with information from the URA portal). Second, my mother found the title deed.

Fast forward to today, and to the reason why I am posting this here: I would like to humbly ask, what can I do now? From what I hear, it is far too late to get my visa up and ready by matriculation this August. I would resign myself to studying locally, but university application deadlines for 2012 have also closed. I would really hate to have to take another gap year, since if I do, I would be enrolling as a pretty old tard. I mean, I have no worries about career starting late as I have already embarked on mine and can continue while studying.

Thanks for reading this really long story. I would really appreciate generous help from all of you.

Jackson

Hi,

{It was in 2010 that I received official confirmation that I was to be offered a place in Cornell University}

when you graduate from your JC?
When did you start your NS? When is your ORD?
You should enrol in Cornell in 2011 , because of a chance to release an album
You request one year gap and enrol in 2012, right?
Sorry for asking so many question.

praetorian
06-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I graduated in 2008.
I started my NS in April 2009, ended in February 2011.
That is correct, I was supposed to enroll in 2011 but I asked for a gap year.

No problem. Thanks a lot.

chromni
06-27-2012, 04:56 PM
I think you can get your visa by august. I-20 processing usually takes 3 weeks so, you can receive it in a month. Just make sure your uni sends it UPS. After that visas can be obtained in a week, especially if you are Singaporean. Worst case scenario, you will start out at Cornell a couple of weeks later than everyone else. Don't worry too much. :)

HappyNS
06-27-2012, 05:21 PM
I think should enough time for you to settle all problems. Don't worry.

May I know your A level grade to get Cornell offer?

Thanks

praetorian
06-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the reassurance. May I ask what are you basing your information on (i.e. are you already studying overseas, or have already graduated) ? Do you also happen to know what procedures I have to take to start a few weeks later?

I got all As except 1 B.

chromni
06-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the reassurance. May I ask what are you basing your information on (i.e. are you already studying overseas, or have already graduated) ? Do you also happen to know what procedures I have to take to start a few weeks later?

I got all As except 1 B.

I am starting this year too. I was relying on a certain scholarship and I only found out that I was unsuccessful in mid-june. So, i contacted my uni if they can still complete the finances verification so late and they said that they process I-20s through July. However, imo, you should still confirm with cornell first.

And some unis don't make much of a fuss if you miss orientation week. I think you will just have to inform your international office/student affairs that you will come late.

patryn33
06-28-2012, 08:17 AM
U don't want to start uni a few weeks late. One can missed out quite a bit, on top of that popular classes are already taken. U also missed the deadline to drop and choose a different class.

U maybe better missing that semester. Missing the Orientation week is no big deal. Just don't miss school for more than 2 weeks.

Uni usually don't do much with verification of finance, its the US Embassy and VISA application.

mengshuen
07-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Jackson,

Don't worry. Getting your visa in time should not be a problem. Do you have your I-20 at the moment?

praetorian
07-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Nope. As I have mentioned I am in the midst of trying to find the funds.

mengshuen
07-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Nope. As I have mentioned I am in the midst of trying to find the funds.
Woah that's kinda tricky. I know most schools require that you show proof of funds for the first year. In that case, I suggest you email your International Students Office and ask for help. You may be able to enter the US on a tourist visa and convert to an F1 status after that, I'm not sure.

chromni
07-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Nope. As I have mentioned I am in the midst of trying to find the funds.

you didn't apply for finaid? my friend is going to Cornell this year and they awarded her about 85% aid.

praetorian
08-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Hi everyone! I'm sitting in my friend's apartment in Ithaca. everything worked out fine (albeit in a rush) so I shall be enrolling in Cornell University this Friday :)

HappyNS
08-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Hi everyone! I'm sitting in my friend's apartment in Ithaca. everything worked out fine (albeit in a rush) so I shall be enrolling in Cornell University this Friday :)

congrats!!!

May I know what's your SAT1 and 2 result. I like to apply this year.

Do you think possible for me to get in as my A level result only 4H2-A, PW-A, GP-B, H3-pass only?

praetorian
08-22-2012, 07:13 AM
hey happyNS (really?),

I don't remember the specifics but roughly around 2190 -- I know, it's not that high.

I probably am not the best person to advise you on this, but my A's were 4 A's, PW A, GP A, and I had to drop H3 in J1 because I was too chui. I am in the Hotel School, and I think they are looking for something completely different from all the other schools, so it depends on where you want to go.