PDA

View Full Version : business or economics? urgent

fire
08-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Hi all,

currently, i am an economics year 1 student. however, i am keen to change to business but i am not sure if it is the right choice.

that is because i am not really sure will i like business if i switch over.when i browsed the internet, most advice is that economics is a better degree than business as business is very general and you learn nothing much . however, i am sure i want to work as a banker in the future and so far, economics seem very theory based and i want something more practical. nonetheless, i do enjoy some parts of economics. please advise, as if i switch over, i will waste around 20 k ...

Malefucius
08-01-2012, 04:30 PM
if you want something more 'practical', major in science related courses or go to a trade school. the 'practical' part of business isn't conducted in business school (unless they force you to create your own start-ups as part of the course).

if you mean 'practical' as in 'higher chances of finding employment', then sorry but i can't help you there without knowing which country you're in or plan to work in.

if you want to be a banker (what sort of banker?) then the most important thing is internship and work experience, not so the major you graduated with. either way, most people majoring in business/econs/finance/accounting more or less qualify for jobs in the banking & finance sector.

given your situation, if you still want the best of both worlds, I'd suggest you stick with economics but minor in business (or take up one or two business modules if you can) at your university. that way you can sample business courses and get a real feel or it. you can always drop them if it doesn't suit you. still a way better option than switching completely and regretting it (much less wasting 20k if that's a concern to you).

kitchentable
08-01-2012, 04:57 PM
TBH, banks don't really care what you major in. Choose the major that you have more interest in and/or which you are confident in scoring well. Essentially, econs involves a lot more math than business. Do you like math? If yes, then econs might be a better choice.

Have you taken a look at econs textbooks vs business textbooks? If you have friends in those courses, borrow their notes and see which interest you more.

Alternatively, you can have a look at the UOL subject guides. I think you'll be able to get a rough feel of whether you like business or econs more:
http://londoninternational.ac.uk/community-support-resources/current-students/emfss-programme-resources/subject-guides

Econs -
EC1002 Introduction to economics
EC2020 Elements of econometrics
EC3115 Monetary economics

Business -
MN1107 Introduction to business and management
MN3032 Management science methods
MN3127 Organisation theory: an interdisciplinary approach
FN1024 Principles of banking and finance
FN2029 Financial intermediation
FN3092 Corporate finance

fire
08-02-2012, 05:01 PM
hi, i mean practical as in i can apply to my daily life. for e.g. in business, i will get to learn financial management and the likes which allow me to apply daily. however for economics, i learn government policies and effects of it which i can't really apply directly in my life..
and i plan to work in singapore so i guess biz will allow me to get a job easier than economics ( which my career advisor actually told me that I cannot find job easily even if i am a first class honors.T.T0)

well, i guess the main problem is tat i don't know which one i will like more..:(

and i was thinking of getting mba later on in life, so would that be a repeat if i major in biz?

if you want something more 'practical', major in science related courses or go to a trade school. the 'practical' part of business isn't conducted in business school (unless they force you to create your own start-ups as part of the course).

if you mean 'practical' as in 'higher chances of finding employment', then sorry but i can't help you there without knowing which country you're in or plan to work in.

if you want to be a banker (what sort of banker?) then the most important thing is internship and work experience, not so the major you graduated with. either way, most people majoring in business/econs/finance/accounting more or less qualify for jobs in the banking & finance sector.

given your situation, if you still want the best of both worlds, I'd suggest you stick with economics but minor in business (or take up one or two business modules if you can) at your university. that way you can sample business courses and get a real feel or it. you can always drop them if it doesn't suit you. still a way better option than switching completely and regretting it (much less wasting 20k if that's a concern to you).

fire
08-02-2012, 05:06 PM
good idea. thanks!

TBH, banks don't really care what you major in. Choose the major that you have more interest in and/or which you are confident in scoring well. Essentially, econs involves a lot more math than business. Do you like math? If yes, then econs might be a better choice.

Have you taken a look at econs textbooks vs business textbooks? If you have friends in those courses, borrow their notes and see which interest you more.

Alternatively, you can have a look at the UOL subject guides. I think you'll be able to get a rough feel of whether you like business or econs more:
http://londoninternational.ac.uk/community-support-resources/current-students/emfss-programme-resources/subject-guides

Econs -
EC1002 Introduction to economics
EC2020 Elements of econometrics
EC3115 Monetary economics

Business -
MN1107 Introduction to business and management
MN3032 Management science methods
MN3127 Organisation theory: an interdisciplinary approach
FN1024 Principles of banking and finance
FN2029 Financial intermediation
FN3092 Corporate finance