PDA

View Full Version : Really spirited, but at a loss - Politics

mchw
08-19-2012, 01:07 AM
Hi (:

I'll make this direct because of my sheer desire to know the answers:

I am really interested in politics in Singapore in the future, in Parliament debating and in public service, serving people as a minister.

However, while my interest is really intense, I know very little about this area.
My family members and friends also know zilch about the path and preparation to becoming one of the people who fervently do a public service to their nation.

Some questions on my mind now are just..

1. Is being a Member of Parliament etc. actually a primary career? Do they hold other posts?

2. Do I start anywhere? i.e. Grassroots volunteer, signing on in the Army etc.

3. Must I make myself 'known' and how do I do that? i.e. applying for anything, to show my interest in politics

4. Would I have to pursue a certain degree in University (like Public Policy in the LKY school of public policy)?

I'm really at a loss, but really eager to know. Most of all, I'm really thankful for any advice, comments, and suggestions! Thank you (:

(Hope there won't be any political debate here too!)

kitchentable
08-21-2012, 04:49 PM
2. Do I start anywhere? i.e. Grassroots volunteer, signing on in the Army etc.

3. Must I make myself 'known' and how do I do that? i.e. applying for anything, to show my interest in politics

Yes, being a grassroots volunteer does help, esp if you help out with those meet-the-mp sessions and you get to know current MPs (who probably can tell you more). You might also want to join the youth wing of the political party that you are interested in. Getting a government scholarship helps. Going the army route helps too if you can rise to a high rank (but this route isn't everyone's cup of tea so think carefully before committing to it).

1. Is being a Member of Parliament etc. actually a primary career? Do they hold other posts?

4. Would I have to pursue a certain degree in University (like Public Policy in the LKY school of public policy)?

The parliament website includes a list of MPs and their CVs, which contains their education background, past jobs and (if applicable) other current jobs. http://www.parliament.gov.sg/list-of-current-mps There are some MPs (like Ms Tin Pei Ling) who do not hold any other jobs.

mchw
08-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Yes, being a grassroots volunteer does help, esp if you help out with those meet-the-mp sessions and you get to know current MPs (who probably can tell you more). You might also want to join the youth wing of the political party that you are interested in. Getting a government scholarship helps. Going the army route helps too if you can rise to a high rank (but this route isn't everyone's cup of tea so think carefully before committing to it).

The parliament website includes a list of MPs and their CVs, which contains their education background, past jobs and (if applicable) other current jobs. http://www.parliament.gov.sg/list-of-current-mps There are some MPs (like Ms Tin Pei Ling) who do not hold any other jobs.

Thanks so much for the reply, it cleared up some murky areas in my train of thought! However, I doubt I could apply for a government scholarship because I only take 10 Academic Units in A levels. I was also wondering, since I am going to enlist in NS soon, what do you mean by 'going the army route..' would not be 'everyone's cup of tea'? Is there something undesirable or intimidating about it?

I also went to check out the parliament website, however besides listing out the various educational institutes and career posts (which wasn't really very insightful because most of the jobs were already government jobs or ministerial to start with) I don't seem to be able to have any inkling of what I should pursue in University as an undergraduate, or even at postgrad if I were to look further ahead. ><

Saurabh Tyagi
03-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Hi
Candidate would also wish to connect the youth wing of the political party that you are interested in.