PDA

View Full Version : importance of A levels?

08-20-2012, 03:31 PM
hey guys, i am willing to take a gap year for US universities, but i wonder, how important is A levels at the end of the day? because it seems that they put alot more emphasis on SAT 1 and 2 and the essays...someone pls enlighten me

Undercover
08-20-2012, 06:19 PM
hey guys, i am willing to take a gap year for US universities, but i wonder, how important is A levels at the end of the day? because it seems that they put alot more emphasis on SAT 1 and 2 and the essays...someone pls enlighten me

Hi there,

The MOST important factor that determines your admission, as stated by most schools, will be your school transcript. This includes: Your secondary 3 EOY, secondary 4 EOY (or O Level), JC1 promotional exams, JC2 preliminary exams, and A level results. Therefore, while A level results alone do not mean too much, it is part of an entire transcript that is extremely important.

After the school transcript, these are the equally important ones: Extracurriculars, Academic Honours, Essays, and SAT scores.

08-21-2012, 01:46 AM
Erm..but most singapore schools are very strict when it comes to internal markings right...so isnt it quite unfair ??

Undercover
08-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Hmm.. Yes I understand that schools tend to be strict. But I was from a top school, and I noticed that the top 10-20% of students will be able to achieve an A grade even in promos/prelims. So if you are in the top 20% of ur school for all subjects, getting excellent grades shouldn't be a problem (I got H2 AAAB for prelims). This top 10-20% are likely to be those that stand a high chance at the top US universities!

Collegify
09-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Hi, you are right in saying that US universities give more importance to essays and SAT scores. But A levels do play a part to show where you stand among your peers. Generally it can be said US universities follow the principal "Bloom where you are planted".

Honestly, at the end of the day, Essays play a critical role in deciding your acceptance to universities.

Collegify is holding a study abroad seminar where they would be answering all of such questions and more about the overseas college application process. Get your answers from grads from MIT, Yale, Brown, Imperial and more

Check out the fb link to know more: https://www.facebook.com/events/377088889027845/
Click here to Register to book a place: http://collegifyugseminar.eventbrite.com/