PDA

View Full Version : scholarships in the finance sector

questions
10-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Besides MAS, SGX, GIC, which other organisations provide scholarships in the finance sector?

Ashearo
10-05-2008, 09:57 PM
I believe OCBC and UOB have scholarships also.

LockT31W
10-05-2008, 11:10 PM
hi questions, do find out more about the finance sector (like what's finance and what's economics) before jumping into it. :) you'll need to make an informed decision that you're going to stick with for at least 10 years. anyway, i believe the ones you and Ashearo have mentioned are pretty much it.

questions
12-08-2008, 05:41 PM
any recommendations for good references (books/websites/magazines/etc) to read up more about the finance sector?

LockT31W
12-13-2008, 02:50 PM
you could always start by reading the more mainstream publications, such as Financial Times, Business Times and The Economist. Alot of the stuff and terms will throw you off at first. Do learn the terms through wikipedia or something - or even better, ask a friend who's good at this stuff. Did you take econs back in JC?

questions
12-17-2008, 09:06 PM
nope, but how relevant is economics relevant to finance? to be honest, i still cant really tell the similarities and differences between these two terms.

LockT31W
12-17-2008, 11:18 PM
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GZAZ_en-GBSG238SG238&q=difference+between+finance+and+economics

have fun, and as Americans would say, knock yourself out :)

spencer
02-13-2009, 07:19 AM
nope, but how relevant is economics relevant to finance? to be honest, i still cant really tell the similarities and differences between these two terms.

They are two completely different things.

In finance you have corporate finance and global markets.

CF is like discounted cash flow, net present value, etc
Global markets is like futures, forwards, swaps, spreads, etc.

In economics it's all about the theories, micro and macro.

vitalism
03-08-2009, 04:50 PM
any recommendations for good references (books/websites/magazines/etc) to read up more about the finance sector?

you can try Microtrends: The Small Forces Behind Tomorrow's Big Changes by Mark Penn. Mark Penn is highly regarded in the financial field and has received glowing reviews from people like Bill Gates. Donald Trump also recommended this book in his own book! haha

spencer
03-23-2009, 09:53 AM

I can recommend you loads of books to read, from beginner to very advanced.

An example on MBS.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handbook-Mortgage-Backed-Securities-Frank-Fabozzi/dp/0071460748/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237773108&sr=8-1