PDA

View Full Version : Big Four - NTU or SMU?

wngssptr
03-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Hi, all

I'm very interested in a career in audit, and I hope to get a job with the Big Four after I graduate.

Which accountancy school would offer me a better chance of achieving my goal?

I heard that NTU has a better relationship with the Big Four. Apparently, the reason why their graduates command such a low starting salary ($2,700 median) is because many of them go the Big Four route. Is that true?

However, is SMU the safer option? If I don't end up going into Big Four, will an SMU Accountancy degree be more beneficial?

Also, does anyone know whether either school has a close relationship with the mid-tier audit firms (RSM, GT, BDO, etc)?

I'm really confused right now, and I'll be happy to receive any advice! :)

pokkaGT
03-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Actually, it is mostly your own efforts rather than the opportunities given by the universities. Most who work in the four companies already have valuable work experience in the company (internships).

In the academic circles, buying kopi to a prof that worked at a research center before will sometimes give you more than a good recommendation but also a guaranteed place. I am absolutely sure that there must be some profs in all business schools who worked at the four companies before. I am also pretty sure the corporate world is even more particular about 'guan xi' :)

bestop
03-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Hi wngssptr,
Are you still looking for a permanent job offer in a Big 4 or an international company in Singapore?

We can help you with that! We know what are the most challenging tasks and interview procedures you will have to face during different stages of interview with international companies and big 4.

Trust us as we have been helping job seekers to prepare for interview and assessment for years.

You are most welcome to contact us at careerconsulting.sg{at}gmail.com or +65 8226 8045. For more information, kindly visit our blog at http://bestopcareer.blogspot.sg or Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bestop-Career-Consulting/439117109500996

meow
03-18-2013, 01:09 AM
Hi, all

I'm very interested in a career in audit, and I hope to get a job with the Big Four after I graduate.

Which accountancy school would offer me a better chance of achieving my goal?

I heard that NTU has a better relationship with the Big Four. Apparently, the reason why their graduates command such a low starting salary ($2,700 median) is because many of them go the Big Four route. Is that true?

However, is SMU the safer option? If I don't end up going into Big Four, will an SMU Accountancy degree be more beneficial?

Also, does anyone know whether either school has a close relationship with the mid-tier audit firms (RSM, GT, BDO, etc)?

I'm really confused right now, and I'll be happy to receive any advice! :)

Actually, it depends more on yourself rather than the U;e.g the honours you achieved at the end of the day. I feel that you should look at the curriculum structure the U have to offer and if they are of the areas you would like to focus on. On top of this, I believe that SMU and NBS offers different type of teaching approaches. While SMU is highly based on seminar interaction, NBS uses others and details on it I am afraid you might need to further explore. Thus perhaps, you might want to ponder which style or learning environment better suit yourself. On top of this, NBS is 3 years while SMU is 4. The pace is pretty fast in here such as they have their internship in year 2 during the 3 months break when everyone are having their holidays.

Nevertheless, before going into your dream career. You will need to think which of the above allows you to excel in your course of study. I believe that the Big Four does consider individual results in addition to school's relations and brands. Besides this, it is also depends on how you sell yourself during the interview then :)

All the best!

Hope it helps. :)

Shaynikins
07-11-2013, 12:19 AM
Exactly what the others have mentioned. It really depends on indivduals.

At the end of the day, it's really up to you to shape up your portfolio/resume. During school holidays, you could apply for internships in the big 4 to add these experiences to your qualifications.

There is the "Tri-Uni Recruitment" drive that is jointly organized by the big 4 as well as NTU/NUS/SMU in which you are able to apply for all the big 4 and secure employment at the end of your penultimate year. (: