PDA

View Full Version : UC Berkeley/ UCLA chances?

Lorenzo
03-31-2013, 08:12 PM
Hello, I'm thinking of applying to UCB and UCLA at the end if this year for Fall 2014. I applied only to UCB this year but got rejected.

Now I'm worried that if I don't get into either UCB or UCLA this year that I won't even have a University placing and that I should probably apply to more Unis now....

So my question, for anyone who applied to UCB or UCLA and got either accepted or rejected,could you tell me your SAT scores/ A levels? My goal is to avoid using Common App which seems rather troublesome.

I got 2180 on SAT1, 2400 SAT2, 5As,1B for A levels.

patryn33
03-31-2013, 09:09 PM
U forget to state your major and CCA achievements
The stats required for EE is different from music.

Are u only looking at California uni?

pepsicap
03-31-2013, 10:16 PM
patryn, just to clarify, subjects in SAT2 are scored upon 800, and the maximum number of subjects you can take in a single sitting = 3. So with 2400 for SAT2, he probably scored 800/800 for 3 content subjects, for example, PCM yup.

patryn33
03-31-2013, 10:31 PM
patryn, just to clarify, subjects in SAT2 are scored upon 800, and the maximum number of subjects you can take in a single sitting = 3. So with 2400 for SAT2, he probably scored 800/800 for 3 content subjects, for example, PCM yup.

Yes I totally forget about, thank u for the kind reminder.

Lorenzo
04-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Yup my SAT2 subjects were P, C, M. I'm not including my portfolio achievements because I wanted to get a gage of the rough A levels/ SATs scores needed to get in to UCLA and UCB, and from there I'll work on my essays and etc.

HamtaroSan
04-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Hello, I'm thinking of applying to UCB and UCLA at the end if this year for Fall 2014. I applied only to UCB this year but got rejected.

Now I'm worried that if I don't get into either UCB or UCLA this year that I won't even have a University placing and that I should probably apply to more Unis now....

So my question, for anyone who applied to UCB or UCLA and got either accepted or rejected,could you tell me your SAT scores/ A levels? My goal is to avoid using Common App which seems rather troublesome.

I got 2180 on SAT1, 2400 SAT2, 5As,1B for A levels.

Hey Lorenzo! I applied to both UCB and UCLA for Fall 2013 and got accepted for both! For me though, my SAT1 score was nowhere close to yours ): I only got 2090 for my SAT1! For the SAT2 and A levels results my grades are similar to yours though!

I think what matters more for both UCLA and UCB would be the extra-curricular activities (e.g. CCAs, CIPs that you were involved in) as well as whether your essay shows that you possess that something special they're looking out for! I believe that if it wasn't for the fact that I took part in many diverse extra-curricular activities I wouldn't have gotten in. I actually applied for College of Letter and Sciences, so perhaps for your College it might be tougher! No worries though, with your calibre you should have no problem! :)

Lorenzo
04-03-2013, 10:09 PM
I'm applied this year for Electrical Engineering/Computer Science, is it that much harder to get in?

HamtaroSan
04-04-2013, 08:22 AM
I'm applied this year for Electrical Engineering/Computer Science, is it that much harder to get in?

Yes! Berkeley's College of Engineering is one of the top 5 engineering colleges in the U.S. so admission is definitely not easy! I do have a friend who managed to gain admission though, if i'm not wrong his A levels were straight As, SAT 1 of ~ 2200 + and SAT 2 of 2400 as well! Similar subjects for SAT 2 to you I think!

For him though, I think the decisive factor was that he's actually a founder and CEO of a start-up company that's doing well. So once again, extra-curricular activities!

Collegify
04-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Besides what others have already said (which I completely agree - ECAs in US colleges are very very important), there are a couple of things:

1. Essays - How you write your essays make a huge impact. This is a medium to market yourself and the stuff that you have done.

2. You CANNOT just apply to 2-3 universities. On average US citizens apply to 18.4, and thats just the average. I would recommend you to apply to atleast 8-10.

You can get more help from Collegify - www.collegify.com.sg! :)