PDA

View Full Version : Studying Overseas Dilemma

highwind
05-13-2013, 07:55 AM
Hey all!

I am having a dilemma over studying locally or overseas.

A little bit about myself.. I have gotten a place at both NUS Economics USP and Washington University in St. Louis. I have gotten a scholarship so money won't be an issue. However, as the date gets closer, I'm starting to have second thoughts about studying overseas for 4 years.. I'm beginning to think if I might as well study locally and do a 1 year MA overseas.

Any advice, pls?

edmundw
05-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Hello highwind,

You have a chance many would die for. Studying overseas with a scholarship is not a chance that is easy to come by.

Being nervous is extremely natural, but he experience of an overseas education will be priceless.

I will be studying in a local university come August, and 2 years back (I served NS) I completely wiped out the idea of studying overseas when I was at scholarship interviews, due in part to perhaps family, friends, and relationships. But looking back now, I did hope that I was more open to the idea of an adventure overseas.

Trust me, you'll grow so much as a person :)

pokkaGT
05-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Agree with edmundw. Except the part about dying. Once in a lifetime experience comes closer.

For some reason, my friends and some other people I know of who study a Master's overseas tend to... stay the same. Those who study overseas as a undergraduate change. "Change" is mostly maturity but sometimes disattachment to Singapore (and they migrate). NUS overseas exchanges can also trigger change but less likely and less impactful than 4 years of staying overseas.

Whichever you choose, don't regret. :)

savethewow
05-13-2013, 11:47 PM
both NUS Economics USP and Washington University in St. Louis.

WUSTL is a great school. go for it!! I'm sure you won't regret.

highwind
05-14-2013, 01:50 AM
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the encouragement.

As you guys have said, it's a wonderful opportunity and I need to decide for myself if I'm up for it.. Any other advice? :)

Has anybody out there experienced or is experiencing the same? Mind sharing your thoughts? :)

Ergodicity
05-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Hey there..

I think i can sort of empathize with what you are going through now. Because i am in the exact same situation..

Right now, i am tending towards studying locally. The idea of doing a 6 years bond doesn't appeal to me too much esp after talking with my seniors. You might want to look at your senior scholars as a reference. After all, by taking a scholarship, it's not just an academic choice but a career choice as well.

At the end of the day, i think it really boils down as well to what you want to prioritize in life. We can't have everything.

If you are taking up a scholarship do consider that

1) After 4 years of studying, will you still want to come back and serve your bond?

2) Are you ok with making lesser money than your peers? Let's face it, the private sector is usually more financially lucrative.

As for studying locally,

Do consider that NUS does offer the no bond scholarships. I think you can give that a crack.

USP should be fun ( i hope) :P

And that at the end of your studies, you will have choices. Options.

savethewow
05-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Doing a 1 years masters overseas just isn't the same as doing your entire undergrad there. In the same train of thought, doing an exchange just isn't the same either.

highwind- you're really worrying too much. everything will turn out OK!! it isn't that scary.

ang.sh
05-22-2013, 06:42 PM
I think that spending 4 years in an overseas college can be one of the more rewarding experiences in life. It can be scary initially, being alone in another country, but you grow as a person so so quickly. You'll have to manage your finances by yourself, do your own laundry, make all the right decisions that only you can make. Like I said, it can be daunting initially, but it will be for everyone, and to some extent it still is even for me (as a second-year undergraduate). It is worth it though, I promise. The diversity that you get in a US university is something that you just don't get here in the local universities. The people that you meet will come from all walks of life. You'll have white friends, asian friends, black friends, hispanic friends, etc. These people are the ones you'll be having classes with, eating with in dining halls, living next to in your residence hall. They color your education so much, not just by being in your classes and seminars, but also in your day-to-day encounters with them. Experience, you'll come to realise, is heterogeneous; and that's a beautiful thing. You'll also find that you're very much responsible for your own education in an overseas university. The professors give the lectures, but it's up to you to attend office hours, seek research opportunities, or pursue an internship over the school year or during the summer. Not to mention, the classes themselves feel organic; you'll find yourself feeling engaged with material you never thought you'd ever be interested in, ever (since you're often encouraged to explore areas of study that you've not been exposed to). Looking back at this mid-way point in my overseas education, though, I can say it's been a wild ride. I feel like I've grown a lot as a person, and to some extent, I feel that this has been a point of disconnect with my Singapore-educated friends whom I sometimes meet over the summer holidays. It's a different experience that I've had, but I won't ever apologize for it.