PDA

View Full Version : gic scholarship

koo86
02-07-2008, 04:16 AM
Hey, would like to know more about the GIC scholarship, selection criteria etc.

Thanks

kukubird
03-29-2008, 02:19 AM
GIC is one of the best and more prestigious non-PSC scholarships if one is not suited for PSC.

LockT31W
03-29-2008, 10:27 PM
yep, but do keep in mind that GIC and PSC scholars end up with vastly different career paths.

vitalism
03-31-2008, 01:16 AM
GIC is one of the best and more prestigious non-PSC scholarships if one is not suited for PSC.

Actually do you mind explaining more on why is GIC considered so good and prestigious? I'm really curious to know :)

Thanks!

questions
04-05-2008, 10:57 PM
i'm also interested in the GIC scholarship, but it seems that this scholarship is very competitive. any idea how many GIC scholarships are offered each year?

chipmunks3
03-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Actually, my grades are Chem a, bio a, physics a, maths a, gp b4, math s, merit, pw 2, higher chinese A1. What are my chances for GIC?

Btw, the essay topic requires us to talk about yourself in 10 years times. It seems quite vague, is it what you think you can achieve or what you hope you can achieve.

rotide
03-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Hey, would like to know more about the GIC scholarship, selection criteria etc.

Thanks

Here is some info about the scholarship from BrightSparks. For more, simply click on Government of Singapore Investment Corp. Pte Ltd under List of Scholarship Providers.

Requirements
We welcome applications from all nationalities. You must have consistently outstanding academic records. Good grades are, however, not the only criteria. You must have an outstanding extra-curricular record, and qualities such as leadership, a desire to excel and team spirit.

Value of Award
We offer scholarships for a wide range of courses, ranging from Business Administration, Economics, Finance/Banking, Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering and Accountancy, to Psychology and English Literature. You can choose to study at premier universities in the US, UK, Germany and Japan.

The value of the award depends on the country of study. It includes tuition fees and allowances for lodging, maintenance, clothing and books. We will also provide medical insurance coverage, excess baggage allowance, return air ticket and other expenses incurred in the course of study. The scholarships are tenable for 4 years.

Conditions of Award
There is a 5- or 6-year repayment period after you successfully complete your studies (5 years for those studying in Japan or Germany and 6 years for those studying in US or UK).

rotide
03-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Actually, my grades are Chem a, bio a, physics a, maths a, gp b4, math s, merit, pw 2, higher chinese A1. What are my chances for GIC?

Btw, the essay topic requires us to talk about yourself in 10 years times. It seems quite vague, is it what you think you can achieve or what you hope you can achieve.

Hmm. I think writing about what you hope to achieve would be less limiting. The most important thing is to keep it relevant. For instance, considering the nature of GIC's operations, one topic of focus could be your goals with regards to your financial portfolio, which can illustrate how you have a good grasp of investment fundamentals.

chipmunks3
03-08-2009, 08:30 PM
how would I have a financial portfolio? Do you mean investment? At my age, how can I be financially able to make investments to build up my portfolio to talk about?
Btw, what are my chances?

chipmunks3
03-09-2009, 11:49 PM
what do you mean by financial portfolio?

profzhu
03-11-2009, 09:50 PM

actually unless u have extremely outstanding cca records, the results are a bit hard. my frens at gic are either perfect scores with 3 s papers, or student leaders presidents for clubs and extremely long achievement records. imo gic is one of the hardest scholarships to get. even harder than psc. if you have investment experience it'll be even better. if you are a self made millionare by 18 it will definietly be something to brag about (its true, i know a coule). ur portfolio is also about your internships, wad extra experience you have in this particular area. for example, if u interned with gic on a project during jc. that'll be something good to add in.