PDA

View Full Version : Should I even consider retaking SATs and applying?

SK1994
03-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Hello

I'm in my 2nd year of National Service. Currently I have a placing in SMU for Information Systems Management, but I have been considering applying to Universities in the US. However, I am not sure whether my portfolio is competitive enough to merit an application as the universities which I am interested in are really good ones. My details are below

SAT Scores
Math: 710
CR: 640
Writing: 750
Composite: 2100

A Level Grades (very very mediocre)
H3 Physics (NTU Semiconductor Physics and Devices): Pass
H2 Physics: B
H2 Chemistry: B
H2 Math: D
H1 Economics: B
H1 GP: E
H1 PW: E
H1 MT (Tamil): D

My CCA Records and Work Experience
JC External CCA: NCC, Cadet Lieutenant
JC Orientation Group Leader for 2012 Orientation
Did a small Internship on Engineering-Marketing with an SME run by my Dad's Friend, No certificate or anything, just referral letter if required.
Combat Engineer in the Army

Interested Universities
Stanford
Berkeley
Carnegie Mellon
UCLA

Interested Majors
Finance, Mechanical Engineering, CS, IS

I am also considering taking the GREs during my term in SMU and considering applying for a postgraduate degree in the US. THis will help give me some time to beef up my portfolio.

Any and all constructive comments are welcome

havok_ex
03-23-2014, 05:07 PM
Hello

I'm in my 2nd year of National Service. Currently I have a placing in SMU for Information Systems Management, but I have been considering applying to Universities in the US. However, I am not sure whether my portfolio is competitive enough to merit an application as the universities which I am interested in are really good ones. My details are below

SAT Scores

Did a small Internship on Engineering-Marketing with an SME run by my Dad's Friend, No certificate or anything, just referral letter if required.

Interested Universities
Stanford
Berkeley
Carnegie Mellon
UCLA

Interested Majors

I am also considering taking the GREs during my term in SMU and considering applying for a postgraduate degree in the US. THis will help give me some time to beef up my portfolio.

Im not entirely sure how competitive US universities are but I think 2100 is not too bad. Have you tried tried applying? I have a friend who got into Yale with a 2100.

On a side note, what happened to your A-levels man? You shouldn't have even attempted a H3 subject if your H1 and H2s were so bad to begin with.

Liao
03-23-2014, 05:22 PM
Hello

SAT Scores

Interested Universities
Stanford
Berkeley
Carnegie Mellon
UCLA

Interested Majors

I don't think you should be applying to those highly competitive US universities with your average A' Level results and SAT. I have many friends with straight As in A' Level and SAT score of 2300+ and excellent CCA records failed to secure a place in the universities you mentioned above (Stanford, Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon). You may still stand a chance for UCLA, but not a very high chance.

I would say your CCA records are not that stellar too. Would be good if you have participated and won in some national or international competitions.

Not here to demoralize you but need to tell you that applying to US universities as a Singaporean, you need to compete with all the other Singaporeans whom have better grades and results than you.

If you really want to try applying to US, I would recommend you to apply to the not-so-competitive universities instead. Going to a local university and go US for post-grad studies is another option.

New York University is a good option for your current results.

Anyway, all the best.

patryn33
03-26-2014, 09:11 PM
I don't think U stand a chance with the Uni there.
UCLA doesn't have finance major.
UCLA is stretch Uni.

with ivy, we cannot just look at SAT and ignore other factors at play here.lets not forget connections and donations which are outside the normal application process. family is somebody one can make it to Yale.
just look at Bush.

NYU Stern I really doubt its a viable option. Mech Engineering or Comp Sci perhaps. With UMN-Carlson is looking at B+ avg.
Indiana Kelly wouldn't take such grades, one will have to go general edu and apply for transfer. GPA 3.5 is needed to be successful.

postgrad edu.. Mech Engineering with top Uni, U have to get GPA of like 3.9 to stand a chance. my friend 3.99 got into stanford but got rejected by MIT, Carnegie etc. UiUC wouldn't want to consider ppl with GPA under 3.7.

Introverted.
03-27-2014, 02:45 PM
i would just like to plug University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign(UIUC), it's pretty well ranked in all the majors you are looking to go into (CS especially). the weather is pretty shit but its pretty easy to get accepted, especially if you're applying undecided i think. some singaporeans here have worse a-levels

purdue is pretty well ranked in mechE as well too.

i would say just try your luck you never know what will happen. apply to singapore uni as well too just in case

patryn33
03-27-2014, 09:54 PM
the chances of going into Purdue maybe alot better than UiUC.
getting in as undecided definitely is alot easier then those well ranked major.

Purdue and Indiana iirc will even take ppl with Os.