PDA

View Full Version : Serious Advice

chocobell
03-25-2014, 10:34 AM
Hi, I am 23 with a Diploma from TP.
I am stuck in my current company for 3yrs.
Recently I have been doing some soul searching and intend to change my career.

I have 2 option for myself..

1. Sign on SAF, apply for scholarship degree after serving 2nd years, and continue work at SAF until i feel I need to change my career.

2. Stay at my current company, pay my own degree in accounts, and change job after i graduate.

Anyone can advice me which option is better and why?

Liao
03-25-2014, 10:48 AM
Hi, I am 23 with a Diploma from TP.
I am stuck in my current company for 3yrs.
Recently I have been doing some soul searching and intend to change my career.

I have 2 option for myself..

1. Sign on SAF, apply for scholarship degree after serving 2nd years, and continue work at SAF until i feel I need to change my career.

2. Stay at my current company, pay my own degree in accounts, and change job after i graduate.

Anyone can advice me which option is better and why?

If you plan to sign on SAF, it is better to continue till you retire. It is not worth it to forgo the lump sum that is given to you when you retire from SAF at 50/55 depending on your scheme. If you quit halfway, you only get a small portion of the lump sum. Some more, in SAF, the longer you stay, the better your life becomes.

Some people signed on SAF and started a business using spouse's name so that they can both get salary from their SAF career and their own business.

If you like your job in your current company, then just stay and pay for your own private degree. Army life is much more regimental.

havok_ex
03-25-2014, 12:28 PM
If you want to sign on. Be prepared to stay on for life. There's not much skills that you can transfer out of saf into the real working world.

And try to sign on for officer and not wospec. More pay and less saikang.

chocobell
03-25-2014, 02:34 PM
I don't mind staying on in army.
Just worried as a diploma holder, i cannot sign on as officer..

Liao
03-25-2014, 03:30 PM
I don't mind staying on in army.
Just worried as a diploma holder, i cannot sign on as officer..

What is your vocation and how is your performance during your 2-year NS? Diploma is enough for officer, but still depends on your NS performance.

I would say the best is to sign on as an officer so that at least no one will play rank with you. But actually, sign on as WOSPEC is okay too. Just that if you sign on as WOSPEC, you may still get ordered around by the junior officers unless you can show them that you are better than them.

chocobell
03-26-2014, 08:15 AM
Opps.. i am a female :x

Liao
03-26-2014, 08:26 AM
Opps.. i am a female :x

Ops, haha... In that case, you have to go through an interview by SAF, SAF will decide which scheme (OFFR/WOSE/MDE/DXO) is the most suitable for you. Most females will sign on SAF with the DXO scheme.

chocobell
03-26-2014, 09:09 AM
But is it advisable for female to sign on?
vocation can be chosen or will only decide after BMT?

Liao
03-26-2014, 09:23 AM

If you signed on as a DXO, you don't need to go BMT as you will only be doing 8-5 admin work in SAF. If you sign on other schemes, you have to go for BMT but your vocation has already been finalized after your interview and sign of contracts with SAF.

I worked in CMPB/Mindef during my NS time, so I knew all these.

chocobell
03-26-2014, 09:28 AM
luckily you saw my posting.

so i just go to SAF recruitment center or i need to go DXO? ._.
but DXO is the same as army sign on?

Liao
03-26-2014, 09:37 AM
luckily you saw my posting.

so i just go to SAF recruitment center or i need to go DXO? ._.

If you want further details regarding signing on, it is best that you go down CMPB personally. The address is 3 Depot Road Singapore 109680. You can take MRT to Tiong Baruh then take Bus 195 opposite. Go down specifically to SAF career center in CMPB.

There are quite a lot of female DXOs and Officers there in CMPB, you can take a chance to ask them how is the life in SAF. Hope these helps. :D

havok_ex
03-26-2014, 11:55 AM

DXO is like a 'civilian' sign-on. So you will still be under mindef and working with the army/navy/air force but you are a civilian.

But thing is, DXO positions are not easy to get. Diploma holder is much harder to get as well. Usually for DXO, they take in those with some working experience or degree holder.

For DXO, they expect that you already know what to do. Not much teaching going on. So like, if your diploma is in nursing, you can sign on as a DXO Nursing Officer or Paramedic. But if your diploma is in an unrelated field that Mindef does not require, they will not hire you and train you.

This is unlike Uniformed Personnel. For uniformed personnel, it doesn't matter what diploma you have. You sign-on, go through BMT, come out and they will teach you from scratch how to become a Tank Operator or a Naval Diver or even a Combat Medic. They will invest in you.

DXO and Uniformed Regulars have different schemes. DXO of course earns less than their uniformed peers. But DXO don't have to go through physical training etc. But DXO can be fired easily. Not saying that uniformed regulars cannot be fired but as long as you don't do anything wrong, you can stay in service until you retire without any hassle. For DXO, you still must perform well for them to want to keep you.

If you are a female, signing on as a uniformed regular would actually be 'better' in a sense. Mindef will really take care of you since they are in need of more female regulars. Yes, you CAN still become an officer with a diploma. You just have to prove yourself in BMT. They will send you for a part-time or full-time degree course once you commission from OCS.

Just that with only a diploma, your pay will be much less than your degree peers. So once you commission, don't delay, faster get your degree to up your pay, the difference is about 1k plus.

On top of that, I believe regulars also get to choose what vocations they want to join after BMT/OCS/SCS. So don't worry too much about not getting what vocation you want. Of course, the more competitive vocations like Pilots will require you to prove your capabilities. But the basic vocations like Artillery or Armour, you can easily join.

DXO is not the same as army sign on. DXO is usually just admin work as well. Not much diff from regular admin people in the outside world. Unless you join as a paramedic or an engineer, your life can get pretty boring.