PDA

View Full Version : Is it unwise to directly indicate preference for local scholarships only?

sprocker
09-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Hi all,

I am intending on taking a MHA scholarship to join the Police Force and I'm beginning to fill up the PSC application form.

On the 'career preferences' portion of the form, it asks if I want to be considered for local or overseas scholarships, or both.

Despite the prestige of overseas scholarships over the local ones, I do and have always intended to study locally for various reasons, and to a certain extent have disagreed with the need to label top-tiered scholarships as 'Overseas' ones.

However, for the sake of practicality, will it be a risk to indicate that I am only interested in the local scholarship? Will they think I lack confidence or something and thus affect my chances?

Thanks for the help!

havok_ex
09-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Hi all,

I am intending on taking a MHA scholarship to join the Police Force and I'm beginning to fill up the PSC application form.

On the 'career preferences' portion of the form, it asks if I want to be considered for local or overseas scholarships, or both.

Despite the prestige of overseas scholarships over the local ones, I do and have always intended to study locally for various reasons, and to a certain extent have disagreed with the need to label top-tiered scholarships as 'Overseas' ones.

However, for the sake of practicality, will it be a risk to indicate that I am only interested in the local scholarship? Will they think I lack confidence or something and thus affect my chances?

Thanks for the help!

Nah, I doubt it would make a difference, but if they do ask why you only are interested in local scholarships, you can just make smth up on the spot, say that your parents are old and you want to spend more time with them or smth. But I doubt they would even ask. In any case, I don't think many overseas universities are that better than NUS, unless you're talking about oxbridge.