PDA

View Full Version : Chemistry dilemma

sparky
03-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Hi

I'm interested in Chemistry but am torn between taking up NUS Chemistry, NUS Applied Chemistry and NTU Biological Chemistry? How would these threes courses lead to different careers in Chemistry?

Also, do companies employing chemists prefer local graduates over overseas graduates e.g. from Imperial?

ky:)
03-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Im also interested in Chemistry. But i heard that ntu's chemistry has just started and does not has its first batch of graduate yet.
Hope somebody can provide some sound advice:)

kemise89
04-09-2008, 01:18 AM
Hi, I'm also interested in chemistry.
Personally I feel that NTU's Chemistry and Biological Chemistry course is still new but after reading through the modules, it sounds more interesting than the one in NUS.
However, NTU is tooo far off=(
I think I shall stick with NUS one though I've applied for both=)

kemise89
04-14-2008, 11:48 PM
Hey according to a NTU prof, he said that more people choose NTU chem over NUS chem. Though this statement may be biased though.
Anyway, there are more hons grads from ntu compared to nus. Plus i've heard that people regretted taking up chem in NUS. hmmm..
anyone has anything to share?

ky:)
04-15-2008, 12:33 PM
ntu is direct hons. and cos the course is relatively new. some of the modules are not yet graded. thats what i heard. not too sure about it still
but i gues nus is stll more recognised

kemise89
04-15-2008, 10:47 PM
ntu is direct hons. and cos the course is relatively new. some of the modules are not yet graded. thats what i heard. not too sure about it still
but i gues nus is stll more recognised

eh graded? means wat arh?
NUS one is more recognised but then it appears more boring and that more people seem to dislike it more though. Not sure about statistic=x

minmin
06-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Hello,
anyone taking NUS chemistry? Any idea what can a chem degree do?

elee
06-05-2008, 11:39 AM
hey minmin :)

teaching is one very obvious route to take. research as well, but it'll require further studies.

check out this page! the biomedical industry seems to welcome chemistry grads as well. (by the way it's also a good site to visit for those interested in a degree in food science, biology, pharmacy, mathematics and engineering)

http://www.biomedsingapore.com/bms/sg/en_uk/index/career_centre/inspirations/year_2007/have_you_got_chemistry.html

alternatively you can take a look at this too. chem grads should have good employment opportunities at the HSA as well.

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/publish/hsaportal/en/careers/job_families.html

erm, hope the above helps! :)

kemise89
06-07-2008, 10:55 AM
hey minmin :)

teaching is one very obvious route to take. research as well, but it'll require further studies.

check out this page! the biomedical industry seems to welcome chemistry grads as well. (by the way it's also a good site to visit for those interested in a degree in food science, biology, pharmacy, mathematics and engineering)

http://www.biomedsingapore.com/bms/sg/en_uk/index/career_centre/inspirations/year_2007/have_you_got_chemistry.html

alternatively you can take a look at this too. chem grads should have good employment opportunities at the HSA as well.

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/publish/hsaportal/en/careers/job_families.html

erm, hope the above helps! :)

Wow thanks! However to get a job in HSA is really really tough:eek:

minmin
06-10-2008, 03:52 PM
really? how you come to know that?

kemise89
06-11-2008, 12:16 AM

for forensic scientist, they accept 2nd upper hons and above and they only employ 1 to 2 a year. pretty shocking already:eek:

LockT31W
12-13-2008, 03:42 PM
sparky, what did you choose in the end?

no0b1
03-07-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm interested in Chemistry but am torn between taking up NUS Chemistry, NUS Applied Chemistry and NTU Biological Chemistry? How would these threes courses lead to different careers in Chemistry?

May I know the difference between applied chem and just chem alone? What does the "applied" mean? Will there be any difference between the job scopes of the 2?

ssx
03-08-2009, 12:57 PM
May I know the difference between applied chem and just chem alone?

Applied Chemistry is a course offered by the Chemistry Department. It trains chemists. A chemist has skills in re-arranging atoms to form new molecules (chemical synthesis). In Applied Chemistry, we will never lose perspective that these new molecules have to be useful, and have to be prepared in larger volumes if they are to be an industrial product. Thus, students will be exposed to certain engineering problems related to the scale-up of a synthesis from the lab bench to the production plant. Analytical procedures (chemical analysis) will be discussed with a perspective to use them for process control and quality assurance.
-http://www.chemistry.nus.edu.sg/appliedchem/applchemfaq.htm

Think of it as chemistry dabbed with a little engineering. Correct me if I am wrong because this is what I've gathered from online resources.

Will there be any difference between the job scopes of the 2?

Again, from the same link as above:
There is no difference in the jobs you may take up after graduation. The exposure to the work in chemical industry during the Professional Placement does however give you a better idea about the scope of jobs available in the industry, and this extra experience will be of advantage in landing your first job.
It hints that applied chemistry gives you advantage if you intend to go into these industries instead of doing R&D.

LockT31W
03-08-2009, 01:23 PM
thanks ssx for providing the FAQ. It seems that applied chemistry does give you an advantage in practical applications. noob1 what career are you looking at?

no0b1
03-09-2009, 09:45 AM
I went to the website to check out the FAQ. It doesn't really state the difference between applied chem and chem. Rather, it was answering the difference between applied chem and chem engineering.. But thanks for the info! At least now I know the difference between applied chem and chem engineering:)

It seems that applied chemistry does give you an advantage in practical applications. noob1 what career are you looking at?

Actually, the career that I intend to pursue accepts most fields of study (maybe). As I'm not really sure what I course I would like to study, I'm trying to gather information of the possible courses which may interest me so that I can see which ones suit me best:D

chemistryboi
03-17-2009, 04:20 PM
i think ntu cbc's concentration in medicinal chemistry is the same as applied chem in nus right? cuz applied chem in nus also has a medicinal concentration or something like that.

virgogal
03-19-2009, 02:05 PM
I'm facing the same problem here.

If im interested in Chemistry, Should i go for Science- Chemistry OR Chemical Engineering?

Which has better career prospective?

kemise89
03-20-2009, 08:15 AM
i think ntu cbc's concentration in medicinal chemistry is the same as applied chem in nus right? cuz applied chem in nus also has a medicinal concentration or something like that.

there are 3 concentrations to chose from, medicinal, food and green chemistry. you can choose not to have any concentrations as well:cool:

kemise89
03-20-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm facing the same problem here.

If im interested in Chemistry, Should i go for Science- Chemistry OR Chemical Engineering?

Which has better career prospective?

Well, it alll depends on what you want to do in the future. If you want to work in the industry, such as shell and all the other oil industry, perhaps going to chemical engineering will be better. Personally I don't really like physics and all, that's why I chose CBC:D

virgogal
03-20-2009, 05:12 PM
ok thanks for the advice :)

smash
02-21-2010, 06:01 PM
eh, there might seem a large time gap here since the last post in this thread, but I think the relevance is still present.

So, actually I wanna gather more info abt Chemistry as well. I opted for faculty of science in nus as 1st choice, though I hv not chosen the specific course as I think that will be the later part of the story. Anyway, is it gd to study Chemistry?

Haecceity
03-01-2010, 10:03 AM
eh, there might seem a large time gap here since the last post in this thread, but I think the relevance is still present.

So, actually I wanna gather more info abt Chemistry as well. I opted for faculty of science in nus as 1st choice, though I hv not chosen the specific course as I think that will be the later part of the story. Anyway, is it gd to study Chemistry?
Depends on your definition of "good".

Ashearo
03-01-2010, 10:54 AM

Smash, I have been following your posts and you seem to be jumping around several courses of studies. It is not wrong to ask about the courses, but it seems you are asking the wrong questions. Its more important to ask...what are your interests? Why do you keep asking about what is good and what is not? It is subjective. If one goes by a general view, most people will see medicine, and law as good courses, albeit tough - but if you have no interest, that won't do you any good.

If by good, you mean easy to study, then it definitely isn't. I can put you through to people studying Chemistry now at NUS and they can tell you it is not easy. If by good, you are referring to job prospects, then it depends what you want to do.

How about start thinking what you want and what you can do to get there. You seem to like Chemistry a lot. Do you have a bunch of other choices? If you do, then think through which of those suits yourself the best. If you don't have many other choices, how about make the best of what you have.

smash
03-08-2010, 05:40 PM
You definitely shed some light onto my worries and problems! :) Eh, I guess its better to ask more now than to regret later abt the course im taking in the future. In any case, thx a lot for answering so many of my qns!

Its true that i have a deep interest in Chem, but im just slightly afraid that taking up the subject will only lead me to a one way street: teaching. So :confused:

Haecceity
03-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Don't worry, it definitely won't. You can become a chemist if you want. :)

smash
03-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Maybe I will! Haha!

hello panda
05-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Hi...

I am also interested in Chemistry... But am also interested in Environmental Engineering.... I am offered both Chemistry (NUS) and Environmental Engineering (NTU) But for job prospects which one is better?

Anyway... I am a polytechnic student in Chemical Engineering...

Haecceity
05-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Hi...

I am also interested in Chemistry... But am also interested in Environmental Engineering.... I am offered both Chemistry (NUS) and Environmental Engineering (NTU) But for job prospects which one is better?

Anyway... I am a polytechnic student in Chemical Engineering...
It depends on which job you want to work in eventually. Where would you like to work in eventually? Do you prefer the chermistry side of things or the environmental engineering side of things? Furthermore, you can always move into a job unrelated to your degree!

evonne29
05-19-2010, 12:40 PM

hi, i've already accepted nus fos, intending to major chemistry/applied chemistry.realllyyy have the passion for it. but i kept going across forums which has undergrads in NUS Chemistry saying that without good honours, and just graduating with BSc, job seeking will be hard and starting pay is also low :(

im kinda worried. is it that difficult to graduate with good honours? if i dont get honours am i doomed? hope to hear from some ppl who have accepted FoS and going into Chemistry major, as well as the opinions of current undergrads in NUS chemistry.

and if ive already accepted the offer online but havent sent my Form P, can i still change me choices?

hope to get fast replies. Thanks!

hello panda
05-23-2010, 08:23 PM
hi.... I am going to accept NUS chem too :) cos i think that working in the engineering field is not for me...

Regarding the honours... I was thinking whether getting into NTU CBC.. Will it be easier to get an honours... As NTU provide direct honours...

evonne29
05-25-2010, 11:08 AM
im going nus chem too!! =)

hi, you've any idea where you wna work next time after you graduate? cos i also wna go nus chem but scared come out the pay not good and might end up as teacher :(

ailin
05-26-2010, 09:21 AM
hi.... I am going to accept NUS chem too :) cos i think that working in the engineering field is not for me...

Regarding the honours... I was thinking whether getting into NTU CBC.. Will it be easier to get an honours... As NTU provide direct honours...

in ntu, u will still nd to maintain a certain gpa to qualify for direct honours... So, it won't be easy either.. ;)

hello panda
05-27-2010, 09:06 AM
erm..im under the teaching scholarship..so im gna be a tcher..i tink if u dun wan u can go into de private sector =)

I am going for MOE Teaching award interview next tues... Any guidelines? And do i have to take any test?

icanmakeit
05-02-2011, 10:59 PM
I am also interested in chemistry course and was offered to study cbc in NTU. Yet, I think I did better in Maths rather than Chemistry in my high-school. So is it a wise choice for me to pursue in this field or shall I choose something related to Maths and it'll be an advantage for me? Any advice?
Thanks.

evonne29
05-03-2011, 01:11 AM
I am also interested in chemistry course and was offered to study cbc in NTU. Yet, I think I did better in Maths rather than Chemistry in my high-school. So is it a wise choice for me to pursue in this field or shall I choose something related to Maths and it'll be an advantage for me? Any advice?
Thanks.

hey icanmakeit,

i was facing the exact dilemma last year! but i have just completed my year 1 as a statistics major. I took up chemistry and maths modules during my first year and i must say, if you are not the type who can understand chemistry fast and excel in it (like the way maths just seems to be more catchy to me), i advise you not to pursue chemistry.

personally, i require more time to apply chemistry concepts but will eventually be able to master them. so things did not work out well for me and i screwed up most of my chemistry modules.

however, it decision still depends on you because you might not be having the same problems as me in handling chemistry. :)