PDA

View Full Version : Nyu stern business or NUS medicine or SMU law

Shhhs
03-21-2016, 04:58 PM
Hi guys, sorry to bother you but I am in a dilemma now.

So I had gotten my a level results 3 years ago. I went to NS for 2 years and worked for another. I got all a's for my a levels including GP , PW and h3 econs. So from last year I started applying to universities and scholarships.

Now, I am really interested in studying business in nyu. Although my parents respect my decision, they want me to go to NUS med. They say that I am free to study what I want but say that doctors make the most.

Nyu stern: I have gotten a full scholarship from Singapore airline but must serve a 6 year bond.really interested :D.the only cost isplane ticket everyyear. I estimated it to be 10k in total for 4 years. My parents said that they will sponsor 20% of cost.I also plan to work while studying there.

NUS med: my parents say that this is the best way to make money and the most prestige. No scholarship and the fees itself is 150k for total of 5 years. Alright, I do have interest in medicine but definitely not as much as business. I don't know if I can survive the journey. My parents are willing to sponsor 35% of the total cost.

SMU law: I have gotten a full scholarship but must serve a 4 year bond . I like it equal to medicine. My parents are not willing to sponsor anything l.

Please give me some advice on what I should I study and still make my parents happy. I am really interested in studying business but my parents tell me it's not considered a real degree but there still respect my choice. Thanks

Curio
03-21-2016, 05:15 PM
Hi guys, sorry to bother you but I am in a dilemma now.

So I had gotten my a level results 3 years ago. I went to NS for 2 years and worked for another. I got all a's for my a levels including GP , PW and h3 econs. So from last year I started applying to universities and scholarships.

Now, I am really interested in studying business in nyu. Although my parents respect my decision, they want me to go to NUS med. They say that I am free to study what I want but say that doctors make the most.

Nyu stern: I have gotten a full scholarship from Singapore airline but must serve a 6 year bond.really interested :D.the only cost isplane ticket everyyear. I estimated it to be 10k in total for 4 years. My parents said that they will sponsor 20% of cost.I also plan to work while studying there.

NUS med: my parents say that this is the best way to make money and the most prestige. No scholarship and the fees itself is 150k for total of 5 years. Alright, I do have interest in medicine but definitely not as much as business. I don't know if I can survive the journey. My parents are willing to sponsor 35% of the total cost.

SMU law: I have gotten a full scholarship but must serve a 4 year bond . I like it equal to medicine. My parents are not willing to sponsor anything l.

Please give me some advice on what I should I study and still make my parents happy. I am really interested in studying business but my parents tell me it's not considered a real degree but there still respect my choice. Thanks

Applicants should understand that they don't simply "choose" medicine. Medicine chooses them. Without a real passion for medicine, interviewers will see right through. Do yourself a favour and do what you like, that is business. Don't go into medicine to make money, please. For your sake, and everyone elses'.

Btw, 90 points for A levels =/= accepted by med.

Shhhs
03-21-2016, 07:20 PM
Applicants should understand that they don't simply "choose" medicine. Medicine chooses them. Without a real passion for medicine, interviewers will see right through. Do yourself a favour and do what you like, that is business. Don't go into medicine to make money, please. For your sake, and everyone elses'.

Btw, 90 points for A levels =/= accepted by med.

Just to add, it's not that I am not interested in medicine or doing it for the money. In fact, I do not share the same opinion as my parents about doctors earning the most bucks. I always wanted to study medicine but second to business. I believe that we will make the most money if we do what we love

Shhhs
03-21-2016, 07:41 PM
Do you think nyu stern has a good reputation in Singapore. I am leaning towards enrolling in that. I don't know how to tell my parents about my decision. That won't take it that well.