PDA

View Full Version : Career Switch to Accounting

swirl
03-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Hi im currently 30 and would like to do a career switch into the Accounting field. I'm planning to take up ACCA which would take at least 2 - 3 years to complete while starting on an accounting job to start gaining experience in this field. As much as I wish to expedite the learning process as a late starter in this field, I believe in getting my foundations right and would appreciate if someone can give me some advise on the following:

a) What kind of job options can I consider in order to accumulate good accounting experience within a short time?
b) Are there certain types of companies/industries which would be good to consider?
c) Would it be better for me to join a small company where I can learn (but may not be in depth) different types of accounting functions or to join a big company where I will probably learn specific functions in detail and hopefully get the opportunity of rotation to other accounting functions?

I look forward to receiving good advise and thank you in advance.

ting
04-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Regarding ACCA, I feel that its a over rated program. Despite its recognition, I personally feel that it does not allow students to think in depth about the "why's". What it gives is the practical approach to daily accounting. This might seem to be good and useful at first however due to the lack of understanding of accounting concepts will hinder the progression of accounting profession.