PDA

View Full Version : University Scholars Programme

Pages : [1] 2

redcurrant
01-02-2009, 07:15 PM
I received a letter from NUS in nov to apply into USP...can anyone share what this programme is about? Should i apply for it?

melsonchun
01-02-2009, 10:21 PM
I received a letter from NUS in nov to apply into USP...can anyone share what this programme is about? Should i apply for it?

I received it too; together with NTU nanyang scholarship thingy.

If you're applying to local universities, then it may be good to apply as, according to the brochure, the USP will provide you with more opportunities to broaden your undergraduate experience.

redcurrant
01-02-2009, 10:24 PM
hmm :D are u applying?

the programme seems quite interesting to me so i'm thinking of applying but i haven't got any idea what to write for the essay though.

melsonchun
01-02-2009, 10:27 PM
hmm :D are u applying?

the programme seems quite interesting to me so i'm thinking of applying but i haven't got any idea what to write for the essay though.

Hmmm, if I were to apply, I'd write about how science and philosophy overlap in many areas.
:D

No harm waiting for results and applying then too! Application will still be open.

redcurrant
01-02-2009, 10:43 PM
really? the letter stated to apply by 20 something jan though (can't rmb).

i'm afraid if thats the case i wouldnt have time to write it cos of work...hmm. :confused:

kingkungfu
01-09-2009, 06:19 PM

may i know your a lvl grade?

xm105
01-09-2009, 08:25 PM
they dont send these letters because you got so many A for a lvl. this yr's results aint even out yet. i got the usp letter last yr because i did my h3 phy at nus.

redcurrant
01-09-2009, 11:14 PM
may i know your a lvl grade?

yeah, a-lvl grades not out yet. think they may have sent it because they once did a talk at my sch and maybe i gave them my address or sth? (can't rmb)

Ashearo
01-10-2009, 02:30 AM
Take note that if you wanna study Law, Medicine or Dentistry, you cannot apply for USP because these faculties do not offer USP. Anyway you wont have that kind of time.

LockT31W
01-10-2009, 02:45 AM
You guys can know everything about the USP here: http://www.usp.nus.edu.sg/aboutusp/index.html

redcurrant
01-23-2009, 06:48 PM
i just got called up for an interview!

can anyone share how the process is like because i really suck at interviews...so need some preparation in advance lol :o

yanshuo
01-24-2009, 09:18 AM
May I direct you to some articles:

http://community.jobscentral.com.sg/node/647
http://community.jobscentral.com.sg/node/794

These are actually about job interviews, but will equally apply to interviews for other purposes. I also suspect that since USP is an academic program, you will be judged on your "intellectual vitality" so be prepared for some highly creative questions.

Never been interviewed for USP before so that's all I can say. Hope this helps and all the best!

redcurrant
01-25-2009, 02:47 PM
those articles were quite helpful...thanks :)

KAizen
01-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Well as seriously speaking, how good is USP? I mean its like... I read thru the stuff.. its like.. besides studying different modules as the rest and having the chance to go overseas to study a sem or two, there isn't much difference.

For e.g. NOC (NUS Overseas College), a USP student still has to fight with a non-USP student for places to get into NOC. Might as well dun go for it... :D

no0b1
03-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Hi, may i know what's the cut-off grades to be able to get into USP? If one gets 'A's for the content subjects but gets 'C's for GP and contrasting subject, does the person stand a chance?

Ashearo
03-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Hi, may i know what's the cut-off grades to be able to get into USP? If one gets 'A's for the content subjects but gets 'C's for GP and contrasting subject, does the person stand a chance?

Yes you stand a chance. Just apply. Theres nothing to lose. You do not need to have a scholarship to be part of USP. As long as your faculty is covered by USP, then go ahead.

nanabanana
03-07-2009, 08:52 AM
do they look at your a level grades and are there specific grade requirements for USP?

ssx
03-12-2009, 09:20 PM
As far as I know, A level grades are important in getting you shortlisted for USP interview along with the essay you write. I haven't come across any grade requirements for USP so far so I suppose anybody with decent grades stand a chance?

In any case, there's like only 180 places available if I am not wrong so it's not an easy programme to get into.

Alex
03-13-2009, 12:06 PM
I believe USP is a "liberal arts" concept. Which means, other than grades, which is just a part of the requirement, you must be able to talk, participate, contirbute and develop ideas.

I suspect that grades may not even be highly important.

Seniors already in can explain or verify?
________
ECIG FORUM (http://www.ecigarettes123.com/)

hannyboi
03-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Nothing fanciful about talking to professors , one from philipines i think, another from india.

depends on your luck; you might get 2 professors or another group consisting of USP students. The latter will be more enjoyable in a conversation. The former is more serious interview if you meet them

Basically they ask why did you apply USP, where do you know about USP, what do you know and think of the USP curriculum, how do you think you will fit into the USP modules

Shaynikins
03-27-2009, 09:25 PM
USP is one of the reasons why I'm veering to NUS at this point of time. Liken to Ngee Ann Poly's Talent Development Programme (TDP), it would allow me to meet like minded individuals to discuss about current issues.

I say that if you get the chance to, jump for it.

As for the interviews, I dare say while academics probably helped in their selection to interview you but ultimately, someone who is more verbal and engaging is what they need. I guess stellar grades doesn't necessarily make you an opinionated person.

hummingbird
03-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Anyone knows if its okay to apply for NUS this year, and then USP next year?

Regards!

USP is one of the reasons why I'm veering to NUS at this point of time. Liken to Ngee Ann Poly's Talent Development Programme (TDP), it would allow me to meet like minded individuals to discuss about current issues.

I say that if you get the chance to, jump for it.

As for the interviews, I dare say while academics probably helped in their selection to interview you but ultimately, someone who is more verbal and engaging is what they need. I guess stellar grades doesn't necessarily make you an opinionated person.

hannyboi
03-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Yes you can apply to NUS this year, and reapply to USP and you are still eligible for a USP interview. However, if you have been to USP interviews before, subsequent reapplication will never grant you another interview.

For USP interviews, you have to show you are unique in a talent that can allow you to contribute to their programme. Basically they want people who are not just smart, but who can contribute in highest intellectual capacity to the programme.

SacramentoConnoly
04-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Has anyone been for the USP interview? I'm sure they'll ask you to elaborate on your essay etc and maybe some questions on current affairs...so what else do you think one needs to prepare?

redcurrant
04-01-2009, 07:05 PM
i went for the interview. in fact they didn't ask me about my essay. they asked quite abit about current affairs though...the questions are quite diverse. i told them i was interested in chemistry and they asked me about whether i thought singapore was a capitalist society. left me stumped...

born2bfree1984
04-03-2009, 08:18 PM
how about usp essays ??? anyone any ideas on where to start???

nefta
04-04-2009, 10:01 PM
For the essay, I think its best to write on something that you are very familiar/ interested in. I wrote about stem cells.
Anw, to the ppl interviewed by USP... the interview panel don't really read your essay beforehand?
From what I heard from the panel who interviewed me, seems like quite a handul of Medicine hopefuls have been called for USP interviews!

class10808
04-05-2009, 09:43 AM
I am supposed to go for their interview this coming thur. Got called on 2nd april... by the way, they asked me to bring my results slip, that means they don't know my results yet? Btw I wrote an essay on philosophy, about colour qualia. I blogged about it very long ago already so I just copied and paste... lol

Btw, do we really need to know a lot about current affairs? Or is it because some of the interviewers are students hence they ask weird questions for the fun of it?

newtothis
04-05-2009, 10:06 AM
hey i applied in the last week of march but i haven't been called yet :( may i know when you applied?

class10808
04-06-2009, 11:43 AM
I think I applied on around the 31st of March, 1 day before the previous dateline. But don't worry though, maybe theres just too many applications to handle?

nefta
04-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Not sure about this, but my interview panel comprised of 2 professors (presumably). They asked me mainly on my choices and interests (talked about stems cells, they don't read your essay I guess). I guess they are also interested in your other fields of interests (contrasting or just different. So I had to talk about "The World is Flat" by Friedman. One of the Prof kept asking about the notion of globalisation and its impacts, so I guess he is very familiar about it.
I guess it is also important to know about current affairs? Largely depends on the panel too. There 2 rooms where interviews were held and interviewees had to enter EITHER rooms. One of the room had really long interviews for each student while the other one (the one I went into) had rather short (15-20 min?) interviews.

I applied for USP in the 2nd last week of March. So I guess waiting time is around 2 weeks? They also stated replies would be out in about 2 weeks time as well. But who knows?

kequankedian
04-15-2009, 04:41 PM
i m going for USP admission interview this Saturday..

newtothis
04-16-2009, 07:17 PM
i got called too...finally...my interview's nxt wk on a weekday afternoon...

blackflame
04-18-2009, 02:32 PM
I was accepted into the USP 2 years ago and I am a RNS waiting for semester one to begin this coming August. Reading this thread sure brings back some memories when I went through the whole process.

I guess it is no longer relevant to talk about the essay portion of the application, since the application should have closed. But I remembered my interviewers mentioned nothing about my essay on Mitch Albom’s “The five people you meet in heaven”.

For those going for the interview, I hope my experience will help! My interviewers were two associate professors, of which one is the deputy director of USP. They were friendly and asked lots of GK (general knowledge) questions. Which means, please read up on you current affairs.

I remembered one of them tried to “corner” me with this question, “Since you are a Science student, would you have trouble with humanities subjects?” Fortunately, I studied Chinese Literature at A levels and told him I would not have troubles at all. And I added on that I often debate with my friends on current affairs; citing how gun laws (one of my fav topics) promote violence in US and other countries instead of curbing it.

I think what the interviewers are looking for is your passion and thirst for knowledge beyond the traditional academic subjects; at least that what is what I think it got me through the interview.

And, btw, my academic result was less than lustre: ABC/ B3 (I was the last batch of students under the old curriculum). So, USP admission is not about your results! :)

kequankedian
04-18-2009, 07:17 PM
i went for an interview this morning.when i entered the room, it's like omg..so many ppl. there were 4 interview rooms. my recent bad luck brought mi into a room with two cold interviewers. they never smile.
they asked mi to intro, which course to be take in NUS, and then my interests, and Y USP,etc. nothing to do with the essay. i don whether they like my answer, coz they had no expression on their faces.

at the end, they didnot ask mi for my results transcript. does it means i already failed, then no need to submit? coz in the email, they did mention we shld bring result slip.

so any one else didnot submit the result... can share with mi here..thx..

nefta
04-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Hi, you're not alone. Fellow interviewees I saw in the afternoon on 2nd April did not hand up their results, even when they asked the lady in-charge about it. I guess they don't need the slip anymore.
Wow yours had 4 rooms filled? When I went, there were only 2.

kequankedian
04-18-2009, 08:51 PM
hey..nefta..really thx a lot for your so fast reply..
ya..today got 4 rooms. seems this program r still quite sought after.

class10808
04-19-2009, 12:28 PM
When i went last last week there were only 2 rooms... Its a weekday though and they didn't ask me for my results as well.

candyluminous
04-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Hmm, does that mean that successful applicants will be notified within two weeks, or? (:

newtothis
04-27-2009, 07:48 PM
anyone has been accepted into usp yet? how do they inform u? in writing thru snail mail?

nefta
04-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Probably you can call them about it, but I'm thinking they'll inform you once you have an offer from NUS and accepted it.
Similar to NTU's ABP, which requires acceptance of course before they are gonna send the ABP letter.

benjaminong
04-28-2009, 10:12 PM
I got an offer letter in the mail a few weeks ago. It said that the offer was conditional upon my getting into one of their member faculties. Try calling/emailing them?

KAizen
04-29-2009, 11:47 AM
anyone who have graduated from USP, or currently in USP to share their experiences?? I was wondering how does a USP student stand out from a non-USP student?

Pls advice. Thanks! =D

tingzi
05-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Hi! I'm a current USP student, and I really hope that I can be of some help here (since I was very blur as a freshie before I went into uni too). =D.

The first thing about USP is that the modules are interesting and thought-provoking. You'd find that the class is really passionate about learning, and somehow this whole passion would spur you on as well. In fact I always think that USP modules contain much more than what's described in the website. There's a writing module that is compulsory, and I would say that though rigorous, the module is a very good start to your university essays. Trains you to think critically and at the same time, develop great essay-writing skills that would secure the rest of your essays throughout uni life (if you're going to Arts, this is of utmost importance).

Ok, here's the exciting part. USP students get to go to a whole lot of overseas trips! =) There're modules that have field trips that bring you to Beijing, Japan and Cambodia! Also, being in USP, it opens you to a wide range of overseas opportunities. Stuff like HCAP brings you to Harvard, the Yale Summer Programme brings you to Yale (duh!), and well, there are also a whole lot of overseas conferences that give priority to USP students. =)

As for myself, I'm a year 2 currently, and for last year, I've already been to Beijing with USP. This year, I'm going to go Japan in the coming semester. Like what my senior says, in USP, it's quite hard to see your batchmates around on campus after their first year in NUS. XD.

I hope I've contributed some knowledge! Feel free to post any queries about USP here. =) I'm not a "pro" per se, but I'll try to help as much as I can.

clarenceux
05-01-2009, 10:41 PM
hi everyone!

i will be going for USP interview next week, and i almost gave up hope on it until the surprise call the other day.

i have read through earlier posts and gathered that the interviewers did not read the essay / will not mention anything about your essay. am i right?

how was the interview atmosphere like? grilling and tough? i am quite worried about the questions they will ask. i pray it will not be something too hard!

tingzi
05-01-2009, 11:10 PM
yups. in fact, interviewers do not know anything about your essay. my prof was one of the two who interviewed me, and he said that he had absolutely no idea what my essay was. the atmosphere isn't really like "grilling" per se. I'd suggest that you go in with a mindset that it's a chit-chat session rather than a formal interview.

the most important thing about the questions that they ask, isn't what your answer IS. they don't want to hear the "correct" answers. they just want your views, in the most natural form, because that's what they're looking for, in fact. classes would be boring if all USP students are PR-ish, proper and "correct".

I was asked the questions "Why USP" (this is like, the default), and "Who do you respect most". My friend's one was really weird. He got a "What do you do on a typical Sunday". His answer was far from being "correct". He just said that he lazed around at home, played some football with his neighbours, and go to him grandma's house for dinner. =.=" And he's in USP now! HAHA.

good luck for your interview! Just be yourself will do. =)

clarenceux
05-02-2009, 12:32 PM
hey thank you so much for your precious advice, tingzi!

how long will i have to wait to know if i am accepted? because i think this is a tie-breaker between FASS and NTU's WKWSCI. sounds silly but yeah that's what I have in mind....for now at least :D

tingzi
05-02-2009, 12:48 PM
it depends, really. i was torn between NTU and NUS too, and i got my USP acceptance letter before the application closed for both sides. but there were some who only got theirs just 2 weeks or so before the school term started. o.O

i'd advise you to choose between FASS and NTU WKWSCI first, before thinking about the USP part. =) I was already quite ready to accept NUS when the letter came, so USP just made me confirm. Haha. :D

clarenceux
05-02-2009, 03:35 PM
haha i totally get what you mean, honeyrider. but i do agree with tingzi, that I have to sort out my priority between NUS and NTU.

as for you, do not be too worried about not getting an interview at this point in time. the USP website did mention that it conducts interview between April and June, so hope is still there!

but, just curious, why would you choose NUS USP over SMU Law?

tingzi
05-03-2009, 03:33 PM
yups. clarenceux has a point. the interviews last all the way till June. in fact there are really a lot of USP applications to be processed, so it may take some time for them to get to you. =) Still, it'd be better to decide on the course that you prefer.

well, in university, passion is the only thing that'll keep you surviving. =D. do make a wise choice! (and good luck for your USP application too!)

tingzi
05-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Normally (at least in my year), interviews would only last till the end of June. But acceptance letters can come during July or so. The rationale behind this is that USP hopes that you go for a course that you have genuine interest in, before considering USP at all. After the online acceptance, USP will just omit those who have chosen other universities, and concentrate on the confirmed-NUS students. I hope it doesn't give you the impression that USP is "playing hard to get" (as it does with my peers too).. since they just want students to follow their heart, instead of influencing students' choices, letting them join NUS because of USP and regret later on. =)

So.. in fact USP is just an ad-hoc thing -- Priority still lies in your preferred course. Hope that helps~ =D.

clarenceux
05-03-2009, 06:06 PM
so does that mean that it will take more than 2 weeks before USP will revert back with an offer?

in any case, how different is USP from GEMs offered to non-USP students? it seems USP is more of a liberal arts education in USA, with a small class and allow its students a free rein in their thoughts. Am I right on this?

jellybean
05-03-2009, 06:43 PM
hi, actually I went for the USP interview in early feb, for the provisional admission one, but I received their letter of rejection mid april =\ does this mean I have zero chance of entering into the USP again? can I try again in my second year? .... gah i really screwed up mine in feb, way out of my expectations...:( but i really wanted to join the USP

tingzi
05-03-2009, 07:41 PM
WRT clarenceux:
Yups, unfortunately. For a a basic knowledge, NUS modules have different levels of difficulty (a la levels in computer games), and 1000 is the lowest. GEMS are usually level-1000 modules, whereas USP modules start from level-2000 (although USP students always joke that the modules are comparable to 3000 and 4000 ones from our home faculties). GEM classes are huge, whereas USP classes don't exceed 30 students per class. Like what you've said, yes, USP is a USA liberal arts education -wannabe. From what I've observed from my non-USP peers, you'll certainly learn more in USP modules than in the GEM modules. Besides, USP modules usually give you the liberty to choose your essay topics, unlike those from home faculties. (On a personal note, I feel happier writing USP papers. XD)

WRT honeyrider:
Yups, I agree. I was one of those choosing between the different universities with the same course in mind (Chinese Studies) too. In the end I chose NUS because I was pretty sure FASS would provide me with more time to experiment my choice before I make my final decision. Besides, the course outline was more attractive than that in NTU. Yups, do think about those factors (pedagogy, course aims and outlines being one of the most important, I think) when you're deciding on the university. =) Good luck! I wish you all the best for your USP application! =)

WRT jellybean:
Honestly, I'm not sure about re-admission into USP. If I'm not wrong, applying to USP after semester 1 or year 1 (either or - I'm really not sure!) requires nomination from a current USP student. But I'm not sure if it applies to re-application as well. =) You could try emailing [email protected] The staff there is really nice. =D. (We students often spam the inbox too!)
Don't worry about the USP part! What matters more is your preferred choice of course and university. You can apply for other NUS special programmes (such as NOC and SEP) during your stay in NUS! =)

clarenceux
05-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Tingzi
Aye thanks so much for your detailed reply! Hopefully the interview this coming thursday would turn out just fine. I pray, haha.

Honeyrider
I am not sure how they do their shortlisting for their interviews but judging your grades, I think you should be able to make it for an interview at least! Perhaps, in the meantime, you wish to take the time to decide which field of study and university suits you best?

jellybean:
I am not sure whether you can reapply but I heard from my friend in NUS that it is possible for current NUS students (no later than year 2) to be admitted into USP. That said, do not take my word for it. Like Tingzi said, you should check out with the relevant authority - in this case, it's the USP admin office.

But just curious, why did you say you screw up your interview and that it was out of expectation?

KAizen
05-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Hi there, I will like to enquire about the USP Advanced Modules (Entrepreneurial Option).

Basically from what I gather, under the Entrepreneurial Option, Iwill
have the opportunity to undergo one year of studies at NOC overseas.
However, from what I read in the NOC webpage, students applying forNOC
will have to undergo an interview (providing they meet the required
academic requirements)

As such, does USP students under the option have to undergo the
interview with the rest of the students, and also if he or she does not
get in, wouldn't it be a little too late to switch to other options,
especially if the student has managed to prepare for theEntrepreneurial
Option (Correct me if I'm wrong as we are required to decide on our
advanced module options by semester 3)

And also is it possible, or rather, are there any instances ofstudents
whereby they have participated in both SEP and NOC provided that
academic requirements are met, and the timetable is plannedproperly?

Lastly, I noted that USP students would get to meet up with their
respective advisers on academic matters on USP. May I know what arethe
meetings like, i.e. what would we be expecting during the meetings?

jellybean
05-04-2009, 01:40 PM
tingzi:
thanks so much for the information! it helped a lot, at least now im not so upset and devoid of hope heehee. =))

clarenceux:
uhm, because my USP interview was my 1st interview i had in my life. i had no prior experience in interviews or whatsoever, and as a 1st-timer then, i guess i couldnt handle the whole interview calmly...apart from the normal "why did you apply for USP, why do you want to study ___ course" the rest of the questions they asked me were unrelated to USP/university studies per se, basically random and weird qns. they could ask anything under the sun literally. yup, i was pretty stressed out cos it was like they were attacking me =S but after picking up some interview skills from uni/job/scholarship interviews i had AFTER the USP one, i think i would have probably done better if USP hadnt been my 1st. now i kind of regret applying so early in the provisional admissions. gah ._.

lobster
05-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Hey I’ve just accepted a provisional offer from USP. The USP website is rather comprehensive but I’m still quite blur what to expect. I’ve emailed the University’s Scholars Club09 gmail (which was stated in the provisional offer letter) to get more info but I haven’t gotten a reply >.<

What I have in mind now is a very ‘rosy’ picture of USP. Rigorous writing modules, overseas exposure and more. But what are some of the 'downsides' of joining USP which we need be mentally prepared for?

Then another thing, we earn only 70% of our academic credits in our home faculty and 30% in USP, do we lose out in terms of depth and breath for our main degree?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Btw for those who are going for the interviews, like what tingzi said, just be yourself :D I thought I bombed mine because my interview was really short compared to others and they didn’t ask me any cheem questions like ‘what is your definition of happiness?’ which I thought they would ask. It wasn’t really ‘grilling’ too. And yep I was asked the standard qns like ‘why USP?’. Good Luck!

clarenceux
05-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Jollybean
No worries dude! You might never know, perhaps you thought you might have bombed the interview but who knows you might get a letter in July? They do not send rejection letter, right?

Lobster
Congratulations! I am not so sure about the down side about USP, but thanks for adding in some info as well! :D

tingzi
05-04-2009, 09:53 PM
KAizen:
Haha, I'm really clueless about NOCs, because I haven not harboured any thought about going for NOCs since I... stepped into NUS? =P If I'm not wrong, the "standard" way that most non-NOC students take, is to do the 2 ISMs and 2 CBMs for advanced curriculum. Again, I have to direct you to [email protected], as this is really a serious issue and I do not wish to mislead you. =)
From my peers, some of them have done the PKU Yuanpei Programme AND SEP, but I've not known anyone who does NOC and SEP together. (Actually I'm not even sure if this is allowed, since NUS tries to give as many students to go overseas as possible, you MAY have to choose one.) Again, I'm really not sure about NOC stuffs. Just saying this based on what I see from my peers. =D.

With regards to your question about the advisors... Haha *dry laugh*. It depends on who your advisor is. As for me, I've heard that my advisor is quite "slack", since he didn't turn up for the first advisor-student meeting and basically I still don't know who he is (other than his name). =P Then again, they're there to help you in your USP-related academic matter, as well as personal problems (if they're not too serious, of course)! So in a way, they function like your "guardian" in USP. Students usually only look for them when they really have issues. =) But I have to stress this: it still depends on who your advisor is. Hee.

lobster:
1) You asked about downsides of USP.
Okay, haha, the downsides are actually quite pragmatist. Firstly, competition is tough. This should be expected since you're competing with the cream of the crop. Secondly, due to the competition and the people that you're studying with, you may need to work EXTRA hard to get your A. As you may know by now, NUS, like many other local unis, works their grading system based on a bell-curve. The average in USP is usually a B+. Sounds OK, but if you're a high-scorer, B+ can be quite... scary. o.O Thirdly, the modules are interesting and thought-provoking -- but it also means quite a lot of brain-effort required.
Well, you have to be mentally-prepared that USP requires much more brain-work than, maybe, your home faculty modules. And ultimately the results that you get from USP may not even be comparable to the ones you get in your home faculty. There may not be a lot of readings nor work to do -- but you'll slowly come to a realisation that you're spending more time thinking about your USP modules than your home faculty ones. =D.
But... I've got to say this: People in USP do try to work for our As, but at least for me, towards the end of whatever USP module that I'm taking, I'll always feel that I've gained more than what an A can do. =) Yups!

2) about the 30%-70% thing.
Rest assured -- you won't miss out on anything in your home faculty! The 30% that USP takes over, consists of the GEM and Breadth modules that your non-USP peers have to take. So in a sense, it's on par. But USP takes over 2 of your level-3000 modules in your home faculty as well, in the Advanced Curriculum. However, not to worry -- these two level-3000 modules are based on your major, and are also counted towards your major's requirements. In fact, these two 3000s are what made me join USP -- the modules are planned entirely by us! So to say, USP doesn't make you disadvantaged in any way as compared to your peers. On the contrary, it helps you a lot, firstly with the writing modules, and secondly with the level of critical thinking demanded in USP that will let you outshine other course-mates. It's a win-win! =D.

To everyone out there:

The actual academic requirements of USP can be found in the USP website as well as your home faculty's websites... I'm speaking from my personal viewpoint, which more or less speaks for the FASS-USP students. =) Nevertheless, do feel free to post any questions! I'll try to answer them with as much knowledge as I have. =D.

tingzi
05-04-2009, 09:54 PM
OK wow, I didn't realise it took such a long post. XD.

jellybean
05-05-2009, 12:15 PM
clarenceux:
is Jollybean referring to me? i shall assume it is xD uhm, i already got their letter of rejection in mid april (yes, they do send a letter to reject), cos I applied way before A level results were out. i guess there's no hope for me for first year in USP already, so im aiming for re-application/admission in 2nd year (if its possible). yup. P.S im not a DUDE. LOL do i sound like one 0_0

clarenceux
05-05-2009, 01:42 PM
jellybean
OOPS! Sorry for getting your username and identity wrong on both counts :o

tm04
05-05-2009, 01:55 PM
How do students who take engineering courses cope with USP? Is it manageable?

KAizen
05-05-2009, 05:27 PM
KAizen:
Haha, I'm really clueless about NOCs, because I haven not harboured any thought about going for NOCs since I... stepped into NUS? =P If I'm not wrong, the "standard" way that most non-NOC students take, is to do the 2 ISMs and 2 CBMs for advanced curriculum. Again, I have to direct you to [email protected], as this is really a serious issue and I do not wish to mislead you. =)
From my peers, some of them have done the PKU Yuanpei Programme AND SEP, but I've not known anyone who does NOC and SEP together. (Actually I'm not even sure if this is allowed, since NUS tries to give as many students to go overseas as possible, you MAY have to choose one.) Again, I'm really not sure about NOC stuffs. Just saying this based on what I see from my peers. =D.

With regards to your question about the advisors... Haha *dry laugh*. It depends on who your advisor is. As for me, I've heard that my advisor is quite "slack", since he didn't turn up for the first advisor-student meeting and basically I still don't know who he is (other than his name). =P Then again, they're there to help you in your USP-related academic matter, as well as personal problems (if they're not too serious, of course)! So in a way, they function like your "guardian" in USP. Students usually only look for them when they really have issues. =) But I have to stress this: it still depends on who your advisor is. Hee.

lobster:
1) You asked about downsides of USP.
Okay, haha, the downsides are actually quite pragmatist. Firstly, competition is tough. This should be expected since you're competing with the cream of the crop. Secondly, due to the competition and the people that you're studying with, you may need to work EXTRA hard to get your A. As you may know by now, NUS, like many other local unis, works their grading system based on a bell-curve. The average in USP is usually a B+. Sounds OK, but if you're a high-scorer, B+ can be quite... scary. o.O Thirdly, the modules are interesting and thought-provoking -- but it also means quite a lot of brain-effort required.
Well, you have to be mentally-prepared that USP requires much more brain-work than, maybe, your home faculty modules. And ultimately the results that you get from USP may not even be comparable to the ones you get in your home faculty. There may not be a lot of readings nor work to do -- but you'll slowly come to a realisation that you're spending more time thinking about your USP modules than your home faculty ones. =D.
But... I've got to say this: People in USP do try to work for our As, but at least for me, towards the end of whatever USP module that I'm taking, I'll always feel that I've gained more than what an A can do. =) Yups!

2) about the 30%-70% thing.
Rest assured -- you won't miss out on anything in your home faculty! The 30% that USP takes over, consists of the GEM and Breadth modules that your non-USP peers have to take. So in a sense, it's on par. But USP takes over 2 of your level-3000 modules in your home faculty as well, in the Advanced Curriculum. However, not to worry -- these two level-3000 modules are based on your major, and are also counted towards your major's requirements. In fact, these two 3000s are what made me join USP -- the modules are planned entirely by us! So to say, USP doesn't make you disadvantaged in any way as compared to your peers. On the contrary, it helps you a lot, firstly with the writing modules, and secondly with the level of critical thinking demanded in USP that will let you outshine other course-mates. It's a win-win! =D.

To everyone out there:

The actual academic requirements of USP can be found in the USP website as well as your home faculty's websites... I'm speaking from my personal viewpoint, which more or less speaks for the FASS-USP students. =) Nevertheless, do feel free to post any questions! I'll try to answer them with as much knowledge as I have. =D.

HAHHA!! yeah... looongg post. Thanks! =)

By the way which course are u in? i'm going in this year as chem eng student + USP.... kind of wondering what's the workload like....

Kind of skeptical abt USP intially.. but having 'enlightened' by u guys.. well, hopefully it doesn't disappoint me during my 4-year stint in NUS =P. lol...

By the way i noticed that there's this student opportunities in the usp. May I know what exactly is it about? Thanks! =D

tingzi
05-05-2009, 08:16 PM
tm04:
Yups, there are A LOT of engineers in USP actually. And furthermore there's the writing module to help you with future essays! =) In any case, if you're worried more about the essay-writing part (which most engine-students express worries about), USP has a student-run Writing Centre, where seniors who've taken the same module can help you out. =D.

KAizen:
Haha, I'm double-majoring in Chinese Language and English Language. =) Ooh, workload... For my Chem Engin (non-USP) friend she got a bit more stressed in the second year as there were a lot of projects. But she still coped with them. And I've seen quite a few other Chem Engin people in USP but they all seem absolutely fine, no dark circles or the like. HAHA. Then again, you'll meet some seniors who're from your course and doing USP, so they'll help you! =D.

Student opportunities? Oh, like what the USP webpage says, there's really a myriad of them. Once you're in USP your NUS mailbox will be flooded with USP mails, and they can range from some special seminar held in NUS to overseas discussion forums opportunities to internships at prestigious companies. I think previously there was an internship to HOLLYWOOD, and another to Istana. Cool stuff awaits you in USP! hahaha. =) And there is simply so much that you don't really know what to choose. So... yep, do take advantage of your USP stint to experience all these! You won't regret. I've never regretted joining USP, so to say. =D!

KAizen
05-06-2009, 09:01 AM
tm04:
Yups, there are A LOT of engineers in USP actually. And furthermore there's the writing module to help you with future essays! =) In any case, if you're worried more about the essay-writing part (which most engine-students express worries about), USP has a student-run Writing Centre, where seniors who've taken the same module can help you out. =D.

KAizen:
Haha, I'm double-majoring in Chinese Language and English Language. =) Ooh, workload... For my Chem Engin (non-USP) friend she got a bit more stressed in the second year as there were a lot of projects. But she still coped with them. And I've seen quite a few other Chem Engin people in USP but they all seem absolutely fine, no dark circles or the like. HAHA. Then again, you'll meet some seniors who're from your course and doing USP, so they'll help you! =D.

Student opportunities? Oh, like what the USP webpage says, there's really a myriad of them. Once you're in USP your NUS mailbox will be flooded with USP mails, and they can range from some special seminar held in NUS to overseas discussion forums opportunities to internships at prestigious companies. I think previously there was an internship to HOLLYWOOD, and another to Istana. Cool stuff awaits you in USP! hahaha. =) And there is simply so much that you don't really know what to choose. So... yep, do take advantage of your USP stint to experience all these! You won't regret. I've never regretted joining USP, so to say. =D!

tingzi, thanks a lot for your enlightenment =D

Hahaha... well I do love to take up internships if I have the chance to do so... manx. too bad most of the internships out there are for final year students, or year 3 students... =S

Oh btw did u participate in any activities in USC before? how is it like?? Haha... would like to know more about it from more sources...

KAizen
05-06-2009, 09:03 AM
oh btw... just to add on...

would there be any financial assistance available for USP students who are really keen to go for overseas opportunities but may hav some financial difficulties?

Seeing what you hav typed in the prev entry makes me hyped up :D but one thing that worries me is the financial portion though...................:(

lobster
05-06-2009, 01:12 PM
hey thanks alot tingzi for the reply! So USP is like very advanced General Paper?! :D

ok so now i have a dilemma. Should I choose NTU double Deg for biz and acct or NUS acct with USP? Rejecting USP sounds like a very unwise choice! But NTU double deg will open more doors for me in the future in terms of career options (as opposed to NUS acct which I may just end up at an accountant only i think...) haha >.<

exist90
05-06-2009, 03:59 PM
im so sorry if this has been asked earlier, but what's the dress code like? formal wear or can wear jeans or something? oh, n do i have to bring anything? thnx.
________
Transit (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Transit)

clarenceux
05-06-2009, 04:19 PM
im so sorry if this has been asked earlier, but what's the dress code like? formal wear or can wear jeans or something? oh, n do i have to bring anything? thnx.

Well I am not sure about the dress code but I think it is safe to be formal.

I asked the USP admin the other day whether do I need to bring anything, and she said no. But, if you really want to, I don't think it will hurt in any way!

hannyboi
05-06-2009, 04:23 PM
common sense shld tell u its formal wear.. its a uni interview

tingzi
05-06-2009, 08:10 PM
KAizen:
Hmm, I regret to say that I'm not a very active participant of USC stuff, the only thing that I've joined is the Orientation Camp when I was still a freshie. Hee. The camp was fun! I've made quite a lot of friends there, and some of us still keep in contact =)) Besides, you'll get to know your seniors, and they provide really valuable advice about... everything. HAHA. And anyway, it's better to know more people before you go into USP -- Helps to relieve the nervousness you have for your first USP class (if you have any, though). =D.
As for other activities, from what I observe, the people involved are always very gung-ho about the projects that they undertake. I admit I'm never an "enthu" person in these aspects, so I don't really participate. Heehee. But if you are an enthu person and you'd like to have some fun with the USP people, you could try a few of their projects! =) No harm trying, since USC has sooooo many projects (Orientation stuff, Rag and Flag, productions... you name it), you could join those that you prefer. =D.

As for the financial assistance part, yups, there are. But if I'm not wrong, it's more or less a case-by-case. Trips are already heavily subsidised by USP (they're really rich), so expenses won't be too high in the first place. My upcoming Japan stint has been subsidised till 1000bucks, for a 1.5week stay and in hotels too. =D. But if you'd like to have further subsidies, USP would be willing to help. In the words of the admin, USP is student-centred! =) I doubt they'll deprive any student of the opportunity just because of financial matters la. =D.

lobster:
Haha, kind of, but not so. My professor for the writing module said "the way you people write GP essays is TOTALLY WRONG". So... ya. Just throw away all the writing techniques from GP and start anew. =D. But, on the critical thinking side, yups, it's kind of like GP. But in a deeper sense. You'll get to know it if you come to USP. =D.

Hmm, choice of courses eh? That's entirely up to you. Do look at the modules offered for both sides too. =) Perhaps you could double major in Acct and Business in NUS? Haha, I'm not sure about the Biz school stuff, but just a suggestion that you could think of. =). Don't let the USP acceptance letter sway the choice your heart makes! =D.

exist90:
yups, like what clarenceux said, wear formal. =) It's not stated explicitly, but since everyone else will naturally wear formal to the interviews, it'd be safer for you to do so too. =D.

KAizen
05-06-2009, 09:43 PM
KAizen:
Hmm, I regret to say that I'm not a very active participant of USC stuff, the only thing that I've joined is the Orientation Camp when I was still a freshie. Hee. The camp was fun! I've made quite a lot of friends there, and some of us still keep in contact =)) Besides, you'll get to know your seniors, and they provide really valuable advice about... everything. HAHA. And anyway, it's better to know more people before you go into USP -- Helps to relieve the nervousness you have for your first USP class (if you have any, though). =D.
As for other activities, from what I observe, the people involved are always very gung-ho about the projects that they undertake. I admit I'm never an "enthu" person in these aspects, so I don't really participate. Heehee. But if you are an enthu person and you'd like to have some fun with the USP people, you could try a few of their projects! =) No harm trying, since USC has sooooo many projects (Orientation stuff, Rag and Flag, productions... you name it), you could join those that you prefer. =D.

As for the financial assistance part, yups, there are. But if I'm not wrong, it's more or less a case-by-case. Trips are already heavily subsidised by USP (they're really rich), so expenses won't be too high in the first place. My upcoming Japan stint has been subsidised till 1000bucks, for a 1.5week stay and in hotels too. =D. But if you'd like to have further subsidies, USP would be willing to help. In the words of the admin, USP is student-centred! =) I doubt they'll deprive any student of the opportunity just because of financial matters la. =D.

lobster:
Haha, kind of, but not so. My professor for the writing module said "the way you people write GP essays is TOTALLY WRONG". So... ya. Just throw away all the writing techniques from GP and start anew. =D. But, on the critical thinking side, yups, it's kind of like GP. But in a deeper sense. You'll get to know it if you come to USP. =D.

Hmm, choice of courses eh? That's entirely up to you. Do look at the modules offered for both sides too. =) Perhaps you could double major in Acct and Business in NUS? Haha, I'm not sure about the Biz school stuff, but just a suggestion that you could think of. =). Don't let the USP acceptance letter sway the choice your heart makes! =D.

exist90:
yups, like what clarenceux said, wear formal. =) It's not stated explicitly, but since everyone else will naturally wear formal to the interviews, it'd be safer for you to do so too. =D.

Hmm icic... thanks! tingzi... =D I've got no questions for now at least. =P but if there is i will still try to pester you so pls forgive me hahah...

Really thanks a lot!:)

SMUgger
05-06-2009, 11:12 PM
But NTU double deg will open more doors for me in the future in terms of career options (as opposed to NUS acct which I may just end up at an accountant only i think...)

there are very few jobs out there which would give preference to a NTU double deg over a NUS acct deg. many employers view an accounting degree as a business degree with a professional focus. i have seen acct grads going into banks, finance, consulting... having a double deg just give you a slight shine on your resume...

read this:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/archive/index.php/t-2302637.html

tingzi
05-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Haha, yupyup! feel free to post any doubts or questions over here! HAHA.

clarenceux
05-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Just came back from USP interview. I think it's really 50/50 for my interview, because I did not really answer that well for my reason to join USP and what do I think of taking science modules in USP.

But I think the professor and his fellow interviewer are nice people. It's the quality of the applicants that stress me out today morning. Lol.

KAizen
05-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Just came back from USP interview. I think it's really 50/50 for my interview, because I did not really answer that well for my reason to join USP and what do I think of taking science modules in USP.

But I think the professor and his fellow interviewer are nice people. It's the quality of the applicants that stress me out today morning. Lol.

Don't think too much now.... since its over. =)

Well the most impt thing is... find out when will they give u a reply.. be it acceptance or rejection.

Hope for the best, and prepare for the worst. (Based on my experience)

Hope that helps, and good luck! =)

KAizen
05-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Hi tingzi... just to ask u.... what did u choose among the 3 paths, for your advanced curriculum? (i.e. NOC, cultural, or academic -- if im not wrong haha)

newtothis
05-07-2009, 03:47 PM

When i went for my interview about 2 weeks ago the prof didn't even ask me why i wanted to do usp...which i found very surprising...he just asked me to intro myself so i told him about my interests...then he asked me what i was doing to pursue them and finally he asked a very random qns: if you could only visit one city in the world which city would that be and why...so it was a very short interview and i honestly have no idea how impressed he was with my answers...so yeah...all we can do rite now is wait for them to get back to us (: no news is still better than a rejection letter rite? :P all the best!

clarenceux
05-07-2009, 06:10 PM
haha thanks alot kaizen and newtothis. I think right now we can only just wait. At the beginning of the interview, it was already said that the acceptance/rejection is not solely based on today's performance.

So we will just keep our finger cross until end June. If no news come from them, we have to call them.

KAizen
05-09-2009, 12:58 AM
Hi tingzi... just to ask u.... what did u choose among the 3 paths, for your advanced curriculum? (i.e. NOC, cultural, or academic -- if im not wrong haha)

Hi Tingzi... in case u are lost in the previous updated threads... just asking u this question. Thanks! =)

tingzi
05-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Haha! Sorry for the late reply. Was having exams for the past few days. (Now they're over!! XD) Anyway, I took academic inquiry. =) It's the conventional path that most USP people take la. =) And I love it a lot as it is very research-based, plus the fact that I can choose to research on whatever I'm interested in. Smooths the path for honours thesis and all the upcoming research-intensive stuffs, I'd say. =DD.

KAizen
05-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Haha! Sorry for the late reply. Was having exams for the past few days. (Now they're over!! XD) Anyway, I took academic inquiry. =) It's the conventional path that most USP people take la. =) And I love it a lot as it is very research-based, plus the fact that I can choose to research on whatever I'm interested in. Smooths the path for honours thesis and all the upcoming research-intensive stuffs, I'd say. =DD.

Hmm... icic... haha..

so let's say u would wan to try out double degree or concurrent degree out under the conventional path, do you still need to undergo some interview etc., same as that of non-usp students?

SMUgger
05-10-2009, 10:47 AM
For anyone who is interested, you can read about two modules offered by USP here: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?p=16746

Democratic Possibilities in Singapore
Civil Society: Theory and Practice

tingzi
05-10-2009, 12:01 PM
yeps, you have to. =) anything that affects your own degree (other than the Yuanpei and the NUS-ANU or NUS-Waseda double degrees, basically those under USP), USP provides little privilege for you la. In other words, for stuff outside USP, you have no privilege over the non-USPs -- at least the privileges not documented in any way. =))

will1990
05-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Hello! Has anyone who went for the recent interview received an offer? =)

clarenceux
05-16-2009, 08:08 PM
aye I have not hear from them yet. from what i heard from the admin office, it should be out by june latest.

zoeychrix
05-17-2009, 01:38 AM
Mmm the student helper there on the day of my interview said should be end-May. Hopefully it comes like, soon! Need it badly to decide my ultimate choice of uni...

clarenceux
05-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Mmm the student helper there on the day of my interview said should be end-May. Hopefully it comes like, soon! Need it badly to decide my ultimate choice of uni...

Oh? When did you go for your interview? I went on 7 May 2009 and that's what the student helper replied when one of my fellow applicants asked her about it.

But that said, all the best for your USP application, pal :D

Razgriz
05-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Hi guys!

Wow! There is so much information about USP here! Greatly appreciated it. :)

Hmmm, I had my USP interview yesterday; does anyone know when I would receive an offer (If they decide to offer me, of course)? Similar as the rest? End May to June? :D

zoeychrix
05-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Oh? When did you go for your interview? I went on 7 May 2009 and that's what the student helper replied when one of my fellow applicants asked her about it.

But that said, all the best for your USP application, pal :D

Thanks, dude, you too. Mine was on the 12th...

@Razgriz Not too sure how fast they can process the interviews and apps... they probably send out in batches since their interview period stretches so long?

iceshiel
05-17-2009, 04:44 PM
had my interview a few days ago.

hopefully they will inform us before the deadline for course acceptance.

JMJW
05-19-2009, 10:55 PM
hey everyone, just got a call for an interview on next tuesday. really surprising though cos my grades were horrible...(BBC/D, GP D, PW B, MT A) hahah glad to see so much info here (:

i have a qn though, in the email they sent, it is stated that i will considered only if im offered a place in one of the faculties (my 1st choice is FASS), so even if i passed the USP interview, but FASS did not offer me a place, it is as good as nothing right? as in, FASS will not consider me even if i passed the USP interview? as of now, my application status still states as processing :( is it safe to say that im not rejected from FASS yet? since USP called me. if im rejected, USP will not bother to call me at all right?

someone from the USP programme told me that it's impt to show that i know stuff outside my field, which is the humanities side (i took econs, lit and history for h2s) so i have to display knowledge from the arts as well as sciences/religion etc?

Thanks in advance (:

clarenceux
05-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi JMJW,

Congratulations on getting the interview. And before I start off, do not say that about your grades. If USP shortlists you for an interview, there must be some merit they see in you.

May I clarify that I am another USP applicant like you, so I am not exactly sure of my answers. But I will do whatever I can in the best of my knowledge. If there is any mistake I made, I apologise in advance! Folks, please correct me if I am wrong.

i have a qn though, in the email they sent, it is stated that i will considered only if im offered a place in one of the faculties (my 1st choice is FASS), so even if i passed the USP interview, but FASS did not offer me a place, it is as good as nothing right? as in, FASS will not consider me even if i passed the USP interview?

At present there is no guarantee that you will be admitted to FASS (or any other faculties in NUS) until you receive your letter of acceptance, because USP admission is separate from OAM. Don't get me wrong. What I am trying to say is that it is not really safe to gauge whether you will be admitted into a particular faculty because of an USP interview.

I understand where you are coming from. But do not forget that USP admission is based on your academic potential, CCA involvement, essay and interview. Admission into NUS, on other hand, is based solely on academic merit (and achievements in the case of discretionary admission). Simply put, while both are ball games, they are essentially different - one is basketball while another is netball.

If you really wish to know if OAM will admit you into FASS because you passed the USP interview, do give NUS a ring. My guess is that USP should not be a factor for your admission into FASS because USP is available to other 5 faculties. If you are admitted into a partner faculty other than FASS, you have to appeal if you really wish to get into FASS.

If the above scenario does happen (that is, you are not admitted into FASS), please weigh your options carefully. Do not go to NUS because of an offer from USP when you might be offered something you do not enjoy reading (e.g. Science or Computing). If NTU/SMU offers you alternate options, then you might wish to think carefully. As Tingzi advised, you have to choose your universities and courses carefully.

as of now, my application status still states as processing :( is it safe to say that im not rejected from FASS yet? since USP called me. if im rejected, USP will not bother to call me at all right?

The safest thing I can say is that at this point in time, you are not rejected by FASS yet. However, that does not translate into you will be accepted. There are many possible scenarios, which range from offered a place in other faculties to admission denied (touch wood!).

someone from the USP programme told me that it's impt to show that i know stuff outside my field, which is the humanities side (i took econs, lit and history for h2s) so i have to display knowledge from the arts as well as sciences/religion etc?

On the interview, if you have read through the previous pages, you will learn that all you really need to do is to be yourself. You might wish to read up more on current affairs, but ultimately the flow of the interview is dependent on the questions asked and your answers. And it will be helpful if you know beyond your field, as you will present yourself as a holistic candidate - which is what USP is about, isn't it? In any case, I wish you all the best!

So long you are admitted to one of the six partner faculties, you will be considered for USP. It might not be FASS - which is another reason why I said that it is not safe to gauge on whether you are admitted to FASS because of the interview. For all you know, you will be offered a place in any one of the six instead (assuming if that is one of your choices).

Below is the list of partner faculties with USP.

Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Engineering
NUS Business School
School of Computing
School of Design and Environment

Ending off, I wish you all the best in both your admission into NUS and USP!

iceshiel
05-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Yo. I went for mine recently but i have yet to receive any results. I am really afraid they will only inform me after the deadline for course acceptance as USP is a major deciding factor for me!

tingzi
05-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Wow, clarenceux has said everything that I've wanted to say! Haha.

Anyway, yups, that's right. I understand that it's a very awkward situation, awaiting results from both the university itself and the USP. I do hope that you'll get the letters of acceptance from both sides soon! Good luck!

As for iceshiel, if you read the previous posts, many have the same problem as you. What I've always strongly advised my juniors is: Think through your core course thoroughly. USP is just a "bonus" factor, so by right, it shouldn't affect your choice of course. =) In fact, I'm not sure I've mentioned this before, I've got a friend who got her letter of acceptance only 2 weeks before the start of semester. So... yups. =)) Do make a wise decision!!

Good luck to those who haven't gotten the letter of acceptance, and to those who have, congratulations!! =)) Hope to see you in NUS in the coming semester!

JMJW
05-21-2009, 12:52 AM
Hi JMJW,

Congratulations on getting the interview. And before I start off, do not say that about your grades. If USP shortlists you for an interview, there must be some merit they see in you.

May I clarify that I am another USP applicant like you, so I am not exactly sure of my answers. But I will do whatever I can in the best of my knowledge. If there is any mistake I made, I apologise in advance! Folks, please correct me if I am wrong.

At present there is no guarantee that you will be admitted to FASS (or any other faculties in NUS) until you receive your letter of acceptance, because USP admission is separate from OAM. Don't get me wrong. What I am trying to say is that it is not really safe to gauge whether you will be admitted into a particular faculty because of an USP interview.

I understand where you are coming from. But do not forget that USP admission is based on your academic potential, CCA involvement, essay and interview. Admission into NUS, on other hand, is based solely on academic merit (and achievements in the case of discretionary admission). Simply put, while both are ball games, they are essentially different - one is basketball while another is netball.

If you really wish to know if OAM will admit you into FASS because you passed the USP interview, do give NUS a ring. My guess is that USP should not be a factor for your admission into FASS because USP is available to other 5 faculties. If you are admitted into a partner faculty other than FASS, you have to appeal if you really wish to get into FASS.

If the above scenario does happen (that is, you are not admitted into FASS), please weigh your options carefully. Do not go to NUS because of an offer from USP when you might be offered something you do not enjoy reading (e.g. Science or Computing). If NTU/SMU offers you alternate options, then you might wish to think carefully. As Tingzi advised, you have to choose your universities and courses carefully.

The safest thing I can say is that at this point in time, you are not rejected by FASS yet. However, that does not translate into you will be accepted. There are many possible scenarios, which range from offered a place in other faculties to admission denied (touch wood!).

On the interview, if you have read through the previous pages, you will learn that all you really need to do is to be yourself. You might wish to read up more on current affairs, but ultimately the flow of the interview is dependent on the questions asked and your answers. And it will be helpful if you know beyond your field, as you will present yourself as a holistic candidate - which is what USP is about, isn't it? In any case, I wish you all the best!

So long you are admitted to one of the six partner faculties, you will be considered for USP. It might not be FASS - which is another reason why I said that it is not safe to gauge on whether you are admitted to FASS because of the interview. For all you know, you will be offered a place in any one of the six instead (assuming if that is one of your choices).

Below is the list of partner faculties with USP.

Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Engineering
NUS Business School
School of Computing
School of Design and Environment

Ending off, I wish you all the best in both your admission into NUS and USP!

hey thanks so much for the info, really appreciate it. the anxiety is killing me, they are taking quite long. hahha i think i am rejected, only left with less than 2 weeks and still no offer, i think they send all the rejection letters in the last 2 weeks. so most prob, that will be it for me. :(

clarenceux
05-21-2009, 09:15 AM
@Tingzi
Haha, because whatever I said is everything that I have learnt from you. :p

@JMJW
Well, do not worry too much as I know how it feels. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst! There's always an appeal channel (or other universities) if it fails, so do realise that you still have a choice/chance! I hope everything will go smoothly for your USP and FASS admission!

iceshiel
05-24-2009, 07:07 PM
had anyone gotten any good news from the USP people? :)

clarenceux
05-24-2009, 07:27 PM
For me personally, no news from them yet.

will1990
05-24-2009, 10:40 PM
Hey guys.. there's one more usp interview this Tuesday 26/5, so I'm guessing we may get our earliest offers sometime after that? :)

Owners.Inc
05-25-2009, 11:59 AM
My interview is tomorrow actually. Any tips?

iceshiel
05-25-2009, 05:21 PM
My interview is tomorrow actually. Any tips?

there isnt a whole lot you can prepare for in my opinion. maybe just brush up a little on current affairs. and i think it's important to know and understand the course you are applying for because half my interview was on that. the other half was on my NS life lol.

clarenceux
05-25-2009, 09:36 PM
icechiel is right. it depends on the questions asked by the interviewer, and your reply to their questions. so in a sense, you are pretty much in control of the flow. just be yourself, and relax.

don't scare yourself, and all the best tmr!

lobster
05-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Hey could someone help me with some administrative problem?

I received a provisional offer from USP in April which was conditional upon acceptance into NUS. Then in May i was accepted into NUS biz sch. Does anyone know if I should be receiving any formal letter of acceptance from USP to confirm my place in the programme?

I've emailed USP but didnt get any reply. I've called them too but the reply was vague and I was thinking if anyone is in the same situation as me.

Many thanks in advance!

JMJW
05-26-2009, 10:06 PM
omg i totally screwed up the interview. surprisingly, they did not ask me anything on current affairs.

clarenceux
05-26-2009, 11:29 PM
how come you said so? relax dude. you will never know what it holds for you.

nefta
05-28-2009, 03:12 PM
@JMJW... I thought I screwed up my interview too! My interview was very short, perhaps less than 20/15mins? They didn't ask me about current affairs either, just probed more into what I read recently / my interests.

I just got a email from USP offering the programme. Anyone else who got it as well? Btw, my interview was on 2nd April (very early, I know).

Lanrete
05-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Hey guys, I just had my interview on 26th May & I'm waiting for a reply. I hope this helps the rest of you guys going for it. C & I just refer to the two different professors who interviewed me. They expect answers to be quick, mostly brief and to the point I think. (that was my experience anyway.)

1) (I) What course are you doing?
I applied for FASS and I intend to do a major in political science. Hopefully I am able to do a double major in european studies as well.

2) (I) Why political science?
I think it is interesting how political systems make a difference to the society and economy. Say take Singapore for example, a stable politcal climate seems to have created a successful economy, as compared to Thailand or Myanmar.

Europe is a continent which used to be divided between two different political systems, The East used to be the Soviet Union and the West a democracy.

3) (C) You do know that Soviet Union does not exist in European Union?
I was referring to Europe's history when I said that.

4) (C) Which language do you intend to you pick up for European Studies?
I intend to learn French because I want to do a Student Exchange Programme (SEP) to Science Po, Paris. Pardon me, I do not know how to pronounce the French name and I don't have any prior knowledge of the French Language.

5) (C, looks stunned for a moment.) Why Science Po? It's a prestigious school no doubt.
I just think that it's fascinating that there's a school specifically for subjects related to Political Science and that 90% of French politicians come from that school. I believe it will be an interesting place to study.

6) (I) What have you been doing in your free time?
I give free lance tuition and I am trying to pick up Japanese again. I used to study Japanese as a third language in secondary school.

7) (I) Tuition as in, in schools?
I give tuition as a private tutor and also at tuition centres.

8) (I) What would you like to do in the future?
I would like to work in the MFA (he interupts: Ministry of Foreign Affairs? I nod.) as a Foreign Service Officer in the fields related to politics and economy. While I am there I hope to learn more about the real life situations of certain countries while advancing Singapore's interests. Say for example Singapore's emerging biomedical hub, I could arrange for tie-ups with other interested nations.

9) (C) So how do you think Singapore can learn from other countries?
Let me think about that for a bit. I think one thing Singapore has definitely learnt is not to repeat the mistakes of other countries, take the British Welfare state for example. Without patients paying any bills the whole situation gets very unproductive.

10) (C) Not mistakes, but how has Singapore learnt from the examples of others?
I would say Switzerland as that country shares many similarities with Singapore. Switzerland has a mix of French and German citizens and of other races and is surrounded by bigger nations like Singapore. I know that Singapore tried to emulate their non-alignment stance, to keep neutrality between races and groups.

(C: but how about their political systems?)
If I am not wrong, because I have not really read up about the Swiss, they elect their leaders in proportion or with relation to racial lines. In Singapore we have GRCs where we elect MPs by areas and not by races.

11) (I) Which is your favourite subject in school?
I liked Geography. It is broad based, covering both physical and human aspects. Ranging from how natural disasters happened to socio-politcal issues.

12) (I) Are you a science student?
No, I'm an Arts Student. (at this point I grin rather brightly) I am not very good with numbers and although I am interested in scientific fields, the need to calculate deters me.

13) (I) Which science modules would you like to take in USP then?
I would like to take up Nature's Laws and Biomedical science.

14) (C) Why these modules?
I think Nature is wildly unpredictable although we try to see it as orderly. Take weather forecasts for example, they are never 100% accurate. I think it is fascinating to try and achknowledge its randomness and try to seek order from there. For example the Chaos theory suggests that there is sequence and pattern to even the most unpredictable.

I took up Biology in secondary school and I enjoyed studying about the human body. In a way we are studying ourselves, as humans and I think it is fascinating. To see how diseases affect us or how we react to other things in our environment-

15) (I) Then as you seem to portray yourself as a social scientist, how do you think you can make use of both fields, say social science and biomedical science?
(I pause) I think it would be useful in the investigation of the placebo effect. Say for example if I gave fake pills to an athelete and real pills to another, the fact that the fake pills do give some sort of improvement is an interesting issue.

16) (C: he corrected my pronounciation of 'placebo' ><) Do you think it is ever possible to accurately measure the placebo effect?
No I do not think it is possible. Say you use two people with similar diets for example, then what about their lifestyles? It is not easy to end up with a fair experiment. (according to KI theory haha you end up with a subset of one! I didn't have a chance to say this though.)

17) (I) You know some of the USP modules require you to be good with numbers, especially Nature's Law, so can you handle it?
I dropped math from H2 to H1 in junior college because I couldn't handle it. While I gave myself this concession, I strived to do my best. I scored 82 for my prelims, a result I haven't seen since primary school.

18) (I: looks amused) So how did you do for A's?
I got an A! (I: You won't die I guess. & The indian professor laughs at me.)

I: Alright, that'll be all.

& I forgot when they asked these questions:

1) Which CCA were you in?
I was in the college's soccer team-

2) Both of them looked surprised and go, which position did you play?
Right fullback.

3) Did you score any goals?
Em, no, but I did help to save some.

05-28-2009, 06:06 PM
for anyone wondering about acceptance letters, i called the usp office yest and they said they're rushing the applications and will hopefully be done by end of this week - i think sat? - so fingers crossed.

according 2 them, worst-case scenario is by nxt wk. so betta make ur decisions first.
________
PussyAss4U live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/PussyAss4U)

iceshiel
05-28-2009, 09:41 PM
I was afraid they would quiz me about current affairs and i had a stupid idea which was to keep mentioning that i was in the army and doing ns. And it worked because they eventually asked me about my NS life! HAHAHA.

Owners.Inc
05-29-2009, 08:02 AM
On a scale of 1 to 10, and 1 being the worst possible scenario, my interview hit -1. They didn't let me finish a sentence...so basically I got nailed on the 'Why do you want to become a part of the USP?' question. I started by trying to mention the modules I would be interested in, but then they said I can do similar modules without USP. So I said there are other stuff like new opportunities and stuff, but they said I can do those outside as well. At this point, I was a bit disoriented so I just said that USP allows me to bundle the two things up instead of participating to several different programmes.

I got the feeling that the interview only lasted 10 mins.

clarenceux
05-29-2009, 09:09 AM
My USP interview was rather short, and all the questions were within my expectations.

Q1) Which faculty will you be entering?
Q2) What subjects do you wish to major in FASS?
Q3) Why history and politics?
Q4) Why USP?
Q5) What modules do you like to take in USP?
Q6) Are you an Arts or Science student?
Q7) Being an Arts student in your academic life, do you foresee any problem in reading USP which requires you to read 4 science modules?
Q8) (Pardon me I could not really remember the question, but it was an integrated question on the relation between history and politics)
Q9) Any other questions?

As you can see, it is pretty much the typical questions they would ask during interviews. I think it more of an interaction, as the questions they asked are in flow with the answers you gave them. Nothing was asked about my student life - CCAs, results etc.

For myself, I think I did not really do well for Qs 4, 7 and probably 8 if they expected me to ask a question. I probably foresee myself not in USP, even though I wish to. :p

innoxist
05-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Hi, are there any seniors here who are both in SDE and USP, seeing as SDE is one of USP's faculties. I would like to know what the workload is like, because SDE is known to be very time consuming and tough. Thanks!

05-29-2009, 04:12 PM
honeyrider, when did you get the letter?
________
Live sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

nefta
05-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Like the 2 before me, here are the questions raised by the 2 interviewers. It wasn't the usual...It was a fast interview btw.

My USP Interview
1."What courses did you apply for."

2. "What are you interested in?"
(I elaborated on stem cells, and a whole lot of what I learned from the topic)

3. "Tell me more about what you have learned, like problems facing stem cell research."

4. "Do you have any other hobbies/interests that you like apart from Medicine/Life Sciences?
(Then I said I read "The World is Flat" by Friedman)

5. "Why did you think he said that the "World is Flat"?
(I said due to globalization)

6. Then he asked something about globalization.
(I said it was inevitable...and some other stuff)

7. "Do you think it is really inevitable?
(Then I said some can close their doors while some can open up)

8. "Do you really think they can afford to close up? (Something like that)
(Then I said, yeah, it depends on what the people/govt want/aim for, like economic prosperity)

9. "Do you think economic prosperity is the only goal? What do you think about the fear of the loss of culture? The homogenisation of cultures?"
(I said that technological progress is important as well, countries can share more easily.)
(I raised up the example of Japan, globalized and still maintains their culture. Really depends on whether the people/govt is ready or prepared to preserve culture amidst globalization.)

pokadotz
05-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi :) , Im wondering is it better for usp students to live in the PGPR or in other halls? will hall life be too hectic for usp students to cope? any opinions on this? Thanks in advance!

teck
06-02-2009, 11:11 AM
My interview is this Sat 6June.. Kinda late huh?

Architect007
06-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Haha late indeed. Has anyone else received the acceptance or rejection letter?

tingzi
06-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Hi :) , Im wondering is it better for usp students to live in the PGPR or in other halls? will hall life be too hectic for usp students to cope? any opinions on this? Thanks in advance!

If you live in PGPR, basically there aren't any hall activities there. It's a residence, not a hall. =) There are a few designated USP blocks in PGPR, so basically it's relatively easier for USP students to get a room in PGPR, as compared to other students. For other halls, you'll be competing with your other non-USP peers for the rooms, and you have to participate actively in CCAs to gain CCA points, in order to secure and prolong your stay in the halls. =) Whether the hall activities are too hectic or not... I guess it's really up to the choice of activities that you participate in, as well as your own time-management too. =))

Hope that helps!

06-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Haha late indeed. Has anyone else received the acceptance or rejection letter?

i got the acceptance call yest, they said sendin out letter after
________
Seductive88 (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/seductive88)

clarenceux
06-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Congratulations, 815!

Now this is weird. So are we supposed to wait via e-mail, call or snail mail to know the results?

@honeyrider
Well, getting into the non-partner faculty (Law, no?) is a good accomplishment itself!

@teck
Good luck! I think I have a friend who is in the same interview slot as you.

06-02-2009, 11:54 PM
clarenceux, i think they calld up one batch yest? becos the guy said he spent the day makin calls. n think it's by call, email and snailmail. cuz i'm supposed 2b gettin email confirmation n mailed usp package.
________
DISCUSS VAPORIZERS (http://vaporizer.org/forum/vapor-lounge/)

tm04
06-03-2009, 10:32 AM
i recieved a provisional admission into USp some time back in april and i accepted the offer. but till now i have not recieved any mail or package or so(though i've been acepted into engineering which is also a participating faculty for USP).. it's kind of weird. has anyone recieved any package from USP??

nefta
06-03-2009, 11:28 PM
@clarenceux
I got the email first, stating the log-in ID and password which is needed to login to accept / reject the USP offer on the USP admissions website.
The offer letter came 2 days later, which more or less contains a welcome letter from USP and some other stuff, like USP camp and the USP tie-up with Prince George Park Residences (hostel application kind of thing?).

@tm04
Try calling USP? Maybe your letter got stuck somewhere.

Anyway,...
Anyone applying for the PGP residences under USP? I'm considering, but I prefer a room with a washbasin at least! Haha

iceshiel
06-04-2009, 09:56 PM
i got the email offer as well. anyone knows if there is a deadline for acceptance?

pokadotz
06-04-2009, 11:52 PM
If you live in PGPR, basically there aren't any hall activities there. It's a residence, not a hall. =) There are a few designated USP blocks in PGPR, so basically it's relatively easier for USP students to get a room in PGPR, as compared to other students. For other halls, you'll be competing with your other non-USP peers for the rooms, and you have to participate actively in CCAs to gain CCA points, in order to secure and prolong your stay in the halls. =) Whether the hall activities are too hectic or not... I guess it's really up to the choice of activities that you participate in, as well as your own time-management too. =))

Hope that helps!

thnks lotz for the information.:) i will need to think through it properly then.

pokadotz
06-04-2009, 11:54 PM
i got the email offer as well. anyone knows if there is a deadline for acceptance?

for me its 12 june they will state it in the snail mail letter

iceshiel
06-05-2009, 11:14 PM
eeks i got my email 4 days ago and i still havent received the letter.

does the letter contain any important or extra information? i am somewhat reluctant to accept the offer until i have the letter.

pokadotz
06-06-2009, 12:00 AM
prob its on the way. cos i got the email first and the letter only came a few days later. hmm in the package there's not much extra info actly, just a letter, form to apply for PGPR, an info sheet about their orientation prgms

domarse
06-06-2009, 04:51 AM
Hi,is there any one with double degree in USP? Particularly chem engin with econs? I will like to know if it is possible to juggle both without being insanely stressed out lol.

Currently, I am thinking of choosing between double degree and usp. The merit of ddp for me is that it provides me with wider career choice and added advantage in application for jobs. On top of that, I am genuinely interested in Econs. However, I am also attracted to USP for its writing module and diverse modules that allows me to explore different fields, which is fun and interesting to me. Is there any advice?

By the way, under the module of society, economy and politics, is the part on economy similar to the modules taken by econs student?

loststudent
06-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi, I had the same question about USP vs double degree. I posed it to the interviewers during the USP interview and I thought I would just share with you the answer that I got. They said that a double degree is very demanding and there are very few students doing it. Furthermore, there are even less students in USP doing double degree because the USP modules are also demanding. Hence, they advised me to seriously reconsider taking USP if I want to take up a double degree. Hope this helps.

Owners.Inc
06-06-2009, 09:55 AM
I got a rejection letter from the USP yesterday. Does anyone know if I can re-apply into the programme during my time at NUS?

Lanrete
06-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Hey guys, I got my acceptance letter on 5th june, two days after receiving their email offer on 3rd June & phone call on 1st June. My interview was on 26th May.

As far as I know, you may get a shot at USP in the second year, but I'm not sure.

Do check out this thread at hardware zone:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=1600035&page=59

& I remember the user tingzi mentioned something about students entering in the second year to user jellybean.

Hope it helps!

domarse
06-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks loststudent! =) So have you decided on which one to take up?
I heard the drop out rate for ddp is quite high. Do you know if it is the same for usp?

loststudent
06-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks loststudent! =) So have you decided on which one to take up?
I heard the drop out rate for ddp is quite high. Do you know if it is the same for usp?

I decided on the ddp in the end although I got into usp. Not sure about the drop out rate for usp though.

domarse
06-07-2009, 10:47 PM
I decided on the ddp in the end although I got into usp. Not sure about the drop out rate for usp though.

May I know why you decide on ddp? Do you feel that ddp is more useful then usp?

loststudent
06-08-2009, 09:51 AM
May I know why you decide on ddp? Do you feel that ddp is more useful then usp?

In a way, I was more interested in ddp but thought that usp would fit in well. Hence, when given a choice between the two, I chose ddp.

pokadotz
06-08-2009, 11:11 AM
hi, does anyone knows whether it will still be possible to apply for PGPR's USP block in the second year if i were to stay in other halls in the first? is it possible to appeal for PGPR's usp block if osa does not allocate any accomodation?:) thnks!

58hours
06-08-2009, 02:04 PM
How long does it usually take for USP to get back to people with results? I just had my interview on the morning of 6th June.

06-09-2009, 04:26 PM
58hours: iirc, dey process by mth. cos i calld them late lst mth n they said they were processing the entire may batch, but apr was already informd in may. 4 june, probably end of the mth liddat?
________
Roll A Joint (http://howtorollajoint.net/)

bipolarjuvie
06-11-2009, 06:44 PM
When exactly is the camp for USP? Cos my friend told me that eveything shld be submitted by 12June. I just had my interview on 6 June too... Perhaps I was rejected? :D Haha. Wondering abt the reply whether if it's really like what 815 said...

06-11-2009, 08:20 PM
bipolarjuvie, the '12 june' thing depends on when u r offerd. my letter said 17jun. camp's 14-17jul. n whether u r accepted or not, try callin dem up to ask? dey r v nice people! #: 65164425
________
ZOLOFT PROBLEMS (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/zoloft/)

bipolarjuvie
06-11-2009, 08:53 PM
bipolarjuvie, the '12 june' thing depends on when u r offerd. my letter said 17jun. camp's 14-17jul. n whether u r accepted or not, try callin dem up to ask? dey r v nice people! #: 65164425

ah, I see! Thanks so much for the info! =)

If anyone from the 6June interview has gotten their reply, do say! =)

58hours
06-11-2009, 10:47 PM
I hope they reply soon so I can get to the stage where I accept their decision and move past it. In order to grow as a person. Or something.

joannah(:
06-11-2009, 11:26 PM
i went for the interview on the 6th june too!
i hope that they would give us a reply soon too 'cos the waiting's driving me nuts :eek:
all the best people! =)

goldleaf
06-19-2009, 01:07 AM
hi, does anyone knows whether it will still be possible to apply for PGPR's USP block in the second year if i were to stay in other halls in the first?

Yup i think it's possible. At least, for now it is.. Someone I know is doing just that. :)

sciophobik
06-20-2009, 12:53 AM
This may be a bit off topic, but I'm currently deciding between SMU Law and NUS Architecture + USP. Opinions? :/

Res
06-20-2009, 12:58 PM
This may be a bit off topic, but I'm currently deciding between SMU Law and NUS Architecture + USP. Opinions? :/

Hehe... I'm probably going to do NUS Archi + USP. If you pick the latter, we'd be sharing the same course.

Up to you, I guess - both options sound good, though I am inclined to think that you will have better prospects as a SMU law grad. Architecture is a pretty tough course (not too sure about SMU law), so I think you need to really consider if you're willing to 'become one' with the studio... By the sounds of it, you should probably go for law - it's the safer option between the two for someone who is undecided.

Don't plan to become an architect myself, actually. But the course sounds like the most interesting of all.

chicpeas90
06-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Hehe... I'm probably going to do NUS Archi + USP. If you pick the latter, we'd be sharing the same course.

Up to you, I guess - both options sound good, though I am inclined to think that you will have better prospects as a SMU law grad. Architecture is a pretty tough course (not too sure about SMU law), so I think you need to really consider if you're willing to 'become one' with the studio... By the sounds of it, you should probably go for law - it's the safer option between the two for someone who is undecided.

Don't plan to become an architect myself, actually. But the course sounds like the most interesting of all.

my two cents worth:

pick architecture only if u are very sure that it is what you want to do, because picking such a course will limit your career more than picking law. the skills you learn in architecture is very specialised..

in terms of prospects within singapore, law probably offers better prospects. my dad is an nus archi grad (30 years ago.. haha) and what he tells me is that archi life is not that breezy.. you study longer than most courses, and then dont draw a very high salary. also, the archi industry in singapore (as compared to law) is rather stagnant.. you must really have the passion! if u do, then im sure you will do well and succeed (:

ripepumpkin
06-23-2009, 12:08 PM
(: hi, does anyone know of people who applied for USP in their 2nd year and got through? (: is that common?

I'm also referring to people who didn't apply in the 1st year (: thanks much!

Razgriz
06-26-2009, 12:39 AM
Hi guys!

I was wondering if they had sent out the letters for students who had gone for the interviews in May? My interview was in 16 May but I have yet to received any news. Worse, I am enlisting soon so I hope to get it done before I enter the army!

Thanks!

06-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Razgriz, my interview was in may n i was informd jun1. so was my fren.
________
condos for sale in Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

iceshiel
06-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi guys!

I was wondering if they had sent out the letters for students who had gone for the interviews in May? My interview was in 16 May but I have yet to received any news. Worse, I am enlisting soon so I hope to get it done before I enter the army!

Thanks!

mine was in may as well and i received my acceptance early this month. perhaps you can call them?

Razgriz
06-29-2009, 04:03 AM
Gosh!

Were you guys accepted? This wait is killing me. Laughs. I have the feeling that my application to USP has been rejected. Sigh.

thisismyusername
03-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Hi I have a question here. Assuming (hopefully not!) I get rejected for my first USP application, am I allowed to reapply during my 2 years in NS?

iceshiel
03-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Hi I have a question here. Assuming (hopefully not!) I get rejected for my first USP application, am I allowed to reapply during my 2 years in NS?

I remember that you can only apply for USP once. If you are rejected that's it for you. Do check the FAQ on their webby!

blackflame
03-11-2010, 01:08 AM

I will check it out for you, I'm from USP.

thisismyusername
03-11-2010, 10:08 AM
I will check it out for you, I'm from USP.

Thanks for your help! :)

Butterbeer
03-14-2010, 02:23 PM
any peeps on here already got offered usp (through the conditional admission exercise earlier this year)?

are you guys going to take up the offer?

blackflame
03-14-2010, 09:40 PM
hi..I was invited to apply for USP earlier this year and decide to wait for a level results...
can anyone share with me is it possible and worth it to apply for usp next year during my national service after securing a place at nus this year...i was thinking that if i do that;..i could possibly be more prepared for the interview...
thanks

Yes, you can. You will compete with the people who are applying the same time as you.

Napoléon26111991
03-15-2010, 10:23 AM
any peeps on here already got offered usp (through the conditional admission exercise earlier this year)?

are you guys going to take up the offer?

I have been offered the usp in the conditional admission exercise. Most likely I will be taking the offer if I am rejected by faculty of law.

summer
03-16-2010, 02:30 PM
hey guys!

i've been offered conditional acceptance as well :) and im taking up the offer! i think usp is such a great opportunity and im sooo excited :) good luck to all those applying!!

in the email offer the sender mentioned that they encourage us to stay in prince george park's residences, i am wondering if most usp students really stay there and would it be not nice if we choose to stay in one of the halls instead? o.o

flump
03-16-2010, 02:35 PM
wow! lucky u! USP does sound really exciting!
I decided to wait for my A results to be out before applying as well as I wasn't sure what topic to write for the essay then.

Do you think the essay is a huge component?

thisismyusername
03-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Hey flump, just curious did you attach any supporting documents? Cause I understand that SGC is not ready till May

summer
03-16-2010, 02:45 PM
apparently, the essay and the interview are two entirely separate components contributing towards your admission. if you get yes + yes, = you get into usp! if its a yes + no, then you wont be shortlisted. therefore, the profs/seniors who interview you will have no idea at all what your essay was about, hence dont waste time preparing questions that they might ask you rgd your essay >.>

nevertheless your essay is still impt, and you shld take the time to really think through what subject you're writing on - preferably something that you can relate to, then ur ideas flow better and have a higher chance of getting a yes :)

flump
03-17-2010, 12:55 PM
oh my it seems like quite a number of my friends have gotten their conditional offer. I hope that I can survive the competition! D=

Anyway, I haven't submitted any docs yet. I guess I will just submit what I have now to meet the deadline!

blackflame
03-19-2010, 08:57 PM

Hi, sorry for this late respond to your queries.

There are generally two type of rejections, and each will affect whether you can reapply or not.

1) You are not called for interview.
This mean you are reject during the first cut. If this is so, you can reapply again. However, you need to indicate to the admission officer that you have applied before and have not been called down for interview. Then the admission officer can void your previous application and treat your reapplication afresh.

2) Went for interview but gets rejection email/letter
In this case, your reapplication will not be considered. Once you are rejected at this final stage of admission, it is a done deal.

Hopes this answer your question.

summer
03-23-2010, 11:17 PM
hey guys im wondering if usp students can still take part in the language programme for the student exchange programme (SEP)? i mean the one year language prep course before we go for exchange. would really like to take up korean :) thanks!

blackflame
03-24-2010, 08:59 AM
hey guys im wondering if usp students can still take part in the language programme for the student exchange programme (SEP)? i mean the one year language prep course before we go for exchange. would really like to take up korean :) thanks!

Not a problem. Just that you need to plan your modules really really well. And you may overload every now and then.

mystique91
03-24-2010, 04:17 PM
hello everyone!

well, just asking. do students taking double degree programs still enrol in USP? and is USP better or the ddp better? i cant choose between NUS BIZ + USP and ddp in biz and engineering.

advice please!

Ashearo
03-24-2010, 07:47 PM
hello everyone!

well, just asking. do students taking double degree programs still enrol in USP? and is USP better or the ddp better? i cant choose between NUS BIZ + USP and ddp in biz and engineering.

advice please!

I don't think you can take DDP with USP because it will be way too hectic. It depends on what you want actually. USP will surely offer you many skills and experience, and if you pick the other option, you get another degree. A lot of people say a double degree isn't all that great because if you were to work in any industry, get a master's degree and that will become more important. USP however, may go a longer way to help you because you can't just get it like a degree (degrees can also take from private universities in future)

And just to let you know, if you get into Dentistry, you can forget about everything else. There won't be time. :)

mystique91
03-25-2010, 10:14 PM
haha yup i know! ultimately i still want dentistry! :D im like willing to give up everything for it hahaha. however, if the faculty doesnt accepts me, i would need a good back up plan as well hahaha. yup eventually i decided on a single degree with USP! i think it will be more helpful to me! thanks ashearo! :D

I don't think you can take DDP with USP because it will be way too hectic. It depends on what you want actually. USP will surely offer you many skills and experience, and if you pick the other option, you get another degree. A lot of people say a double degree isn't all that great because if you were to work in any industry, get a master's degree and that will become more important. USP however, may go a longer way to help you because you can't just get it like a degree (degrees can also take from private universities in future)

And just to let you know, if you get into Dentistry, you can forget about everything else. There won't be time. :)

luge23
03-29-2010, 03:37 AM
Hey, I am really quite confused about the essay portion...im wondering wat r they looking out for in the essay? is it like gp where you analyse it? can someone pls help me? thx alot....

Haecceity
03-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Well, since they say:
In planning your essay, bear the following in mind: we are looking for evidence of your specific, first‐hand response to an idea or theory. Your essay should identify the idea and explain if you have a personal, unique, or notable relation to it. Then, analyze the concept with as much detail and depth as possible, explaining how your engagement with this idea changed or broadened your thinking.

From: http://www.usp.nus.edu.sg/aboutusp/applying/src/APPLICATION%20FORM%20revised%20with%20CCAs.pdf

You do have to analyze it, among other things. :)

luge23
03-29-2010, 02:57 PM
They stated "Your essay should identify the idea and explain if you have a personal, unique, or notable relation to it." so wat does personal, unique or notable relation to it means?

Haecceity
03-29-2010, 03:11 PM
I read it as you having to explain what that idea means to you, and you only. The "unique" bit is just emphasis that it has to be very personal (what do you think about it?) and I get the feeling that it would be good for you to have a creative perspective. "Notable" - not too sure, but you could interpret it as "why it is important to you". Basically, it should be all about you and how the idea has influenced you.

That's just my two cents. :)

luge23
03-29-2010, 05:05 PM
i dunno if i shld apply this yr for usp, cos im nt really confident for the essay as i onli get to know hw to write the essay like 2 days ago...and i think that perhaps after ns i will be more mature enough to go thru the interview and essay...cos wat worried me is the fact tt i can onli apply 1 time, so can any1 pls give mi some advice? thx alot

Freshjunior
03-29-2010, 05:44 PM
i dunno if i shld apply this yr for usp, cos im nt really confident for the essay as i onli get to know hw to write the essay like 2 days ago...and i think that perhaps after ns i will be more mature enough to go thru the interview and essay...cos wat worried me is the fact tt i can onli apply 1 time, so can any1 pls give mi some advice? thx alot

If you aren't shortlisted for the interview, you still can apply again. I'm also doing the same thing (i.e. applying USP in the year I'm matriculating.) There's no hurry in applying; maybe you can use this time to brush up on your current affairs.

luge23
03-29-2010, 06:03 PM
If you aren't shortlisted for the interview, you still can apply again. I'm also doing the same thing (i.e. applying USP in the year I'm matriculating.) There's no hurry in applying; maybe you can use this time to brush up on your current affairs.

no, is that cos they will grade the essay, so i scared that my essay grade wont be high enough bt qualified mi to go for the interview, at the interview they will grade you again, so im quite scared that the essay part will drag down my overall grade...kindda worry, cos im still really unsure of wat im going to write sia...

cupofpens
03-29-2010, 06:12 PM
I read it as you having to explain what that idea means to you, and you only. The "unique" bit is just emphasis that it has to be very personal (what do you think about it?) and I get the feeling that it would be good for you to have a creative perspective. "Notable" - not too sure, but you could interpret it as "why it is important to you". Basically, it should be all about you and how the idea has influenced you.

That's just my two cents. :)

I interpret this to mean "please incorporate your achievement here". Like if you are talking about an engineering concept, use this to lead you in "in 2007, I took part in an international robotics competition, won gold, did my school proud, received 2 CCA points.... and oh ya, my analysis of the concept is this:"

haha!

cupofpens
04-01-2010, 10:36 PM
I wrote about Pythagoras theorem cos I'm not exposed to theories outside of our school syllabus. How it inspired me to understand a triangle scientifically for the first time!

Anyone wrote about Keynesian theory? :)

mohit.kanwal
04-04-2010, 02:12 PM
I wrote about Pythagoras theorem cos I'm not exposed to theories outside of our school syllabus. How it inspired me to understand a triangle scientifically for the first time!

Anyone wrote about Keynesian theory? :)

no, is that cos they will grade the essay, so i scared that my essay grade wont be high enough bt qualified mi to go for the interview, at the interview they will grade you again, so im quite scared that the essay part will drag down my overall grade...kindda worry, cos im still really unsure of wat im going to write sia...

Hey u don't need to worry about the essay or the interview. Just write about something that interests you. It does not matter whether you were able to solve the problem or not, they just need to see what interests you. At the interview also the questions they will ask you are about your chosen course of study and why did you wanna apply for USP. A big giveaway is the fact that they look out for the people who are interested in inter disciplinary subjects.

mohit.kanwal
04-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Hi everyone,

Since the admission process for USP is underway, I thought I share my views and experience on how the program is like and how I got through the admission process and why you should apply for USP.

For a first USP is different from CN Yang program, offered by NTU, USP is more of a liberal arts program. The modules offered by USP are interdisciplinary in nature, and not the rigorous scientific modules offered by CN Yang program. Also USP offers immense opportunities for overseas attachments etc. which are really really useful. Also the workload that comes with USP is not that much coz of the fact that USP modules substitute the modules you need to study in the form of Singapore History etc. which probably you already know. So it's better off studying something that interests you.

Now for myself, I am an year 1 computer science student enrolled in USP. I applied for USP around this time of the year, coz I was encouraged by my grades. And also the fact that USP offered more than just studies. It offered an entire plethora of activities. However later I found out the probability of getting accepted is very high coz many people dont even apply. SO I WOULD ENCOURAGE YOU TO JUST AT LEAST APPLY AND DECIDE LATER.

blackflame
04-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Just to put the facts out right here before it becomes misleading.

USP receives many applications every year. For this batch that was enrolled in AY09/10, the applications rate is one of the highest so far. For this batch, USP has accepted almost close to 200. USP does not fix acceptance number at 180 every year. Trust me, I have my source.

The point here is that the fight can be rather tough, BUT as long as you display what USP is looking out for, you will be ok.

auroral
04-04-2010, 04:06 PM
I guess now is to just wait for my interview/rejection notice. Just applied on Tuesday. Hope to hear from you guys if theres any notification about anything.

cupofpens
04-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Yup, applications just closed 2 days ago. I also believe USP is verry competitive to enter. My confirmation email was sent from uspbox16!!! It means they have at least 16 virtual boxes to collect all the applications. I think it is overtly popular because of the prestige associated with it, even though not all may understand the actual courseload. Who doesn't want to be a university SCHOLAR? It's all reputation. And PGP residences, heh.

blackflame
04-04-2010, 09:42 PM
uspbox16 does not mean there at least 16 virtual boxes to collect all applications. other numbers are used for other usp related stuff or events, not just for application.

USP is not just about prestige. in fact it is far from it. the heart of USP is about students driven look for knowledge well beyond their major. USP just provides the platforms for students to do just that. The meaning of scholar is not about prestige, it's about the pursuit of knowledge. Just that in Singapore context, it has turn into something prestigious. Often we call people scholar because they have scholarship, that's a deviation from the meaning of scholar. So if anyone comes into USP because of prestige will either be turned away during the interview (the profs are very exp, they can tell) or they will have a shock when they step into USP proper.

Good luck for all the people who have applied this year! =)

thisismyusername
04-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Hi everyone,

Since the admission process for USP is underway, I thought I share my views and experience on how the program is like and how I got through the admission process and why you should apply for USP.

For a first USP is different from CN Yang program, offered by NTU, USP is more of a liberal arts program. The modules offered by USP are interdisciplinary in nature, and not the rigorous scientific modules offered by CN Yang program. Also USP offers immense opportunities for overseas attachments etc. which are really really useful. Also the workload that comes with USP is not that much coz of the fact that USP modules substitute the modules you need to study in the form of Singapore History etc. which probably you already know. So it's better off studying something that interests you.

Now for myself, I am an year 1 computer science student enrolled in USP. I applied for USP around this time of the year, coz I was encouraged by my grades. And also the fact that USP offered more than just studies. It offered an entire plethora of activities. However later I found out the probability of getting accepted is very high coz many people dont even apply. SO I WOULD ENCOURAGE YOU TO JUST AT LEAST APPLY AND DECIDE LATER.
Really? I heard around 2000 people applied. not sure how true is it though.

Muffin
04-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Really? I heard around 2000 people applied. not sure how true is it though.

Which is odd, because they called me up to tell me I've been shortlisted even though I didn't apply for the scholarship. Weird, like it's as if they've got too many to give out... :/

midori
04-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Hi all, I just went for the USP interview last thursday, so I thought that I could share some of the questions asked during the interview for people going to future interviews.

My questions were generally okay I thought, just 2 professors interviewing me. It is about 15-20mins. The questions are as follow:

1. So which school are you from?

2. You did not take you O'levels exam, so which do you think is better? ( O'level curriculum or Integrated programme) * FYI, i was in the IP programme that's why he asked me about it.

3. You mentioned immersion trips during your school IP time, so could you describe your experiences?

4. You went to both USA and China, can you compare and contrast both countries?

5. Ultimately in terms of competition, which country do you think will win?Why?

6. You talked about a lot of issues on the global platform, can you talk about one country issue which you are interested in?

7. Any questions?

Overall, I thought the questions are quite manageable, not as tough as I have visualized it to be. I realised that the questions posed to me were somehow related to the answers I have given previously, so you may want to take note and be careful of what you say. HOWEVER, i must say that the questions are very random, I prepared standard questions like why usp, what usp modules, etc. but all of them did not came out. so ultimately, just to be safe, for future people gng for the interview, you may want to prep yourself up on current affairs, you school experiences and some basic questions.

Here's another set of questions posed to another friend of mine.

1. Talk about one difficulty in your cca?

2. Do you think that your cca has made you a disagreeable person? ( because this friend of mine is in debate club)

3. If you are on a deserted island, what will you bring? no internet allowed

4. Why usp?

5. What modules are you planning to take up?

6. Did you know that law is not under usp? ( she applied for law and talked about it i think)

okay, tt's about it, hope it's helpful!(:
( my friends realised that people in our batch seldom post questions and experiences as frequently as our seniors before us, so we thought that we can contribute a bit)

all the best to the rest!

starry
04-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Hi can I just ask if usp consists of ALOTTTTTTTTTT of writing? Is it true that it's just about writing and writing?

Istvan
05-01-2010, 12:19 AM
Hi can I just ask if usp consists of ALOTTTTTTTTTT of writing? Is it true that it's just about writing and writing?

got fun stuff also. they gain credits with field trips, overseas trips, etc.

but the compulsory writing modules seem to be a killer...

[not from USP, but with friends in it]

blackflame
05-07-2010, 10:48 AM
got fun stuff also. they gain credits with field trips, overseas trips, etc.

but the compulsory writing modules seem to be a killer...

[not from USP, but with friends in it]

I can testify to that.

mystique91
05-10-2010, 12:57 AM
hi guys! i got accepted into NUS USP program last month!

actually i would like to pose a question.

i've been offered the college scholarship in NTU as well. so right now, im really torn between NUS and NTU.

any advice on where i should go to?

please help!

Floun.Der
05-13-2010, 09:55 PM
hi guys! i got accepted into NUS USP program last month!

actually i would like to pose a question.

i've been offered the college scholarship in NTU as well. so right now, im really torn between NUS and NTU.

any advice on where i should go to?

please help!

i tot the USP in various schs are supposed to b v prestigous. i tink u shld go for nus if u r choosing the scholarship. but if u lyk ntu better den u shld go to ntu if not u will b dreading sch if u go nus (provided that u lyk ntu more den nus for example)
jux my own opinion! =)

Freshjunior
05-13-2010, 10:22 PM
I think that would depend on your financial situation. If you are able to pay your own school fees without any problem, then taking up USP would be a better idea as it will enhance your university experience.

If you are not well-off, you have to decide if you can cope without a scholarship while juggling the demands of part-time work, studies and USP.

mystique91
05-14-2010, 12:55 AM
taking up USP would be a better idea as it will enhance your university experience.

in what way does it enhance my university experience?

i've read the thread and looked up the website already, and i'm still quite unsure as to what USP has to offer ._.

besides the student exchange programmes and the more interesting modules, is there anything else that i can look out for in USP?

User168
05-14-2010, 09:13 AM
in what way does it enhance my university experience?

i've read the thread and looked up the website already, and i'm still quite unsure as to what USP has to offer ._.

besides the student exchange programmes and the more interesting modules, is there anything else that i can look out for in USP?

in short... USP is an interdisciplinary academic programme for a small cohort of (about 180) of NUS undergraduates. it is NOT a scholarship. read here (http://www.usp.nus.edu.sg/aboutusp/index.html) for more :)

Haecceity
05-14-2010, 09:47 AM
The whole point of USP, if I'm not wrong, is to allow students to explore more modules and areas of interest that they have. For those who do take USP, that's usually enough.

Istvan
05-14-2010, 10:32 AM
The whole point of USP, if I'm not wrong, is to allow students to explore more modules and areas of interest that they have. For those who do take USP, that's usually enough.

Haecceity is right...USP students do get many opportunities to go overseas, and take interesting modules. It is enough for USP students because their primary major is still the priority.

randomchum
05-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Hey folks, I've just completed my first year at NUS (Business + USP) and I've got to say that USP is really awesome. As Haecceity has pointed out, it is not a scholarship! Cant stress this enough cos I guess the name is pretty misleading eh lol. That said, USP offers a wide variety of modules and lots of opportunities to go overseas (global programmes)

Overseas programmes wise:

USP students get to go for academic immersion in really cool universities such as Yale, Tufts,Havard and so on. We also participate in of competitions (Princeton) and such. Not keen in States stuff? Again, lots of programmes in India, China, EU and such. I cant list all of these programmes, but let's just say that USP really opens up a myraid of opportunities that you may not be able to get in your home faculty. (haha I do realize that I'm sounding a tad like a USP evangelist) But seriously man, you have nothing to lose here.

But i do suppose a couple people who are following this thread are more concerned with the selection process/ academic stuff. (though you probably can tell, I am more hyped about the overseas programmes since I dont believe in hole-up-in-NUS-for-4-damned-years-and-get-a-degree mentality)

Writing wise:

Yes they do tell you that you need to like writing. I guess it's nice in moderate doses, but hell, how many of us do really enjoy it that much? I think USP probably realizes this so we do all sorts interesting modules that makes life more bearable like cyberarts (when you make videos) and stuff. And I can tell you this- most of the writing is probably different from your usual GP-ish stuff. To me, there is more meaning in writing this stuff than cranking on about "How are dreams important?" (my GP essay question lol)

Entry:

Now, you dont have to worry about your grades that much! (I think there is a minimum cutoff the last time i spoke to the admissions people but it's nary of concern) I think i can sum what they are looking for in two words: intelluctual curiosity. So if they ask you something like Do you think fire is alive? (which acutally happened IRL, poor girl) Just give it a thought and chug out a few intelligent sounding statements and you shall be fine. My interview was boring though. They asked about my CIP involvement and stuff. So yeah, dont freak, sound like your mind is there. And you will be fine =)

Student life:

AWESOME ALOHA! This is something that I dont really need to elaborate on because you guys probably will comprehend these two words in full when freshman orientation camp, O week and all those crazy activities hit yall in the face soon. =)

So to mystique91, I think besides the awesome exchange programmes and the variety interesting modules (though I think both "awesome" and "variety" here is pretty much an understatement), there's also the USP community you can look forward to. I think your learning experience will be enhanced in a sense that you get to talk to people from all majors. Case in point - a couple of weeks ago I, an accountancy major, was having a lively conversation about poems (haikus) with a statistic major, literature major, philosophy major and a couple of engineers were laughing at our jokes. Now, where can you get an experience like that?

starry
05-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Hey folks, I've just completed my first year at NUS (Business + USP) and I've got to say that USP is really awesome. As Haecceity has pointed out, it is not a scholarship! Cant stress this enough cos I guess the name is pretty misleading eh lol. That said, USP offers a wide variety of modules and lots of opportunities to go overseas (global programmes)

Overseas programmes wise:

USP students get to go for academic immersion in really cool universities such as Yale, Tufts,Havard and so on. We also participate in of competitions (Princeton) and such. Not keen in States stuff? Again, lots of programmes in India, China, EU and such. I cant list all of these programmes, but let's just say that USP really opens up a myraid of opportunities that you may not be able to get in your home faculty. (haha I do realize that I'm sounding a tad like a USP evangelist) But seriously man, you have nothing to lose here.

But i do suppose a couple people who are following this thread are more concerned with the selection process/ academic stuff. (though you probably can tell, I am more hyped about the overseas programmes since I dont believe in hole-up-in-NUS-for-4-damned-years-and-get-a-degree mentality)

Writing wise:

Yes they do tell you that you need to like writing. I guess it's nice in moderate doses, but hell, how many of us do really enjoy it that much? I think USP probably realizes this so we do all sorts interesting modules that makes life more bearable like cyberarts (when you make videos) and stuff. And I can tell you this- most of the writing is probably different from your usual GP-ish stuff. To me, there is more meaning in writing this stuff than cranking on about "How are dreams important?" (my GP essay question lol)

Entry:

Now, you dont have to worry about your grades that much! (I think there is a minimum cutoff the last time i spoke to the admissions people but it's nary of concern) I think i can sum what they are looking for in two words: intelluctual curiosity. So if they ask you something like Do you think fire is alive? (which acutally happened IRL, poor girl) Just give it a thought and chug out a few intelligent sounding statements and you shall be fine. My interview was boring though. They asked about my CIP involvement and stuff. So yeah, dont freak, sound like your mind is there. And you will be fine =)

Student life:

AWESOME ALOHA! This is something that I dont really need to elaborate on because you guys probably will comprehend these two words in full when freshman orientation camp, O week and all those crazy activities hit yall in the face soon. =)

So to mystique91, I think besides the awesome exchange programmes and the variety interesting modules (though I think both "awesome" and "variety" here is pretty much an understatement), there's also the USP community you can look forward to. I think your learning experience will be enhanced in a sense that you get to talk to people from all majors. Case in point - a couple of weeks ago I, an accountancy major, was having a lively conversation about poems (haikus) with a statistic major, literature major, philosophy major and a couple of engineers were laughing at our jokes. Now, where can you get an experience like that?

Hi, I would like to ask if in your case, do you have enough credits to graduate with bba(accountancy) hons + 2 business specialisations + usp? :)

mystique91
05-14-2010, 10:41 PM
hey randomchum, i have been offered a place at NUS business school as well! (:

okay, so from what i have seen, it's more of getting to interact people who come from many different disciplines is it? like from people studying in the faculty of engineering to ppl studying in the faculty of science and many more?

can you fill me in with more information on the writing module? i'm pretty worried about that ._. is it very literature-like? haha.

oh oh, and do you think it is worth giving up the college scholarship offer for USP?

and anw, thanks all for your prompt replies :D

randomchum
05-16-2010, 12:17 AM
Hey, it's me again. =)

starry: accountancy is a specialization so are you talking about doing 3 specializations? I've head of two.. but not three. (accountancy + finance could be possible i guess) Hmm, might want to check with the bba admin on that one.But in any case, no reason why you cant take usp together with dual/(triple) specializations though you might need to stay back in case there are extra modules you've to take for finance. accountancy course can be pretty rigid...

mystique91: writing module eh? first, no it is not literature! basically by the end of writing module, you would have learnt how to write academic papers. which is way cool- final year students probably do it for their honors thesis or something like that. Probably dead helpful if you're in FASS since those people have to write papers all the time but since you're in business, i can assure after writing module, you'll bulldoze those marketing assignments no problemo. ok so what are academic papers? it's like research. you find a topic of interest and you keep researching and thinking and analyzing about it until you get to know that little thing (doesnt have to be something huge) super well till you're good enough to write a paper on it. I did my paper on The Sims (the game) lol. What writing modules does is to enable you to think in a critical way. For example, in a piece of newspaper article. Journalist uses tons of eh.. emotional language to sway reader's opinion in a certain way. Guess most people would be swayed but writing module helps you to "challenge assumptions" and see what's not immediately obvious. so in this case, you go like, oh journalist dude, i am so seeing your gimmicks.:cool: Still, you must bear in mind that it's just one module. USP is way more than writing module!

As to whether you should give up your scholarship for USP. Well, I really think it's up to you. Personally I gave up NTU for NUS (though not with a scholarship) because i think it's insane to cram a 4 year honors course into 3 years. BUT there's still the scholarship. I think you should consider your personal circumstance and what you really aspire to do. for myself, I wanted to go on to graduate studies so i thought NUS was a better brand name overall and USP would prep my mind for further studies later. But if i wanted to head straight for work and if prestige of being a scholar is important then I would go for NTU. But one thing puzzles me though - why dont you go for the NUS scholarships? heard the BBA people are pretty laxing with scholarships so far..?

ladidums
05-16-2010, 07:32 PM
I've not gotten anything from USP yet although they send me an email a couple of days ago to say that they are still processing the applications. I haven't even gotten an interview.

Does that means no hope?

artanis
05-16-2010, 08:16 PM
I've not gotten anything from USP yet although they send me an email a couple of days ago to say that they are still processing the applications. I haven't even gotten an interview.

Does that means no hope?

Do not worry, I have a friend whose interview is scheduled on 22 May:) The interview process will stretch into July, i think.

randomchum
05-17-2010, 11:07 AM
ladidums: dont worry! Even if you dont get in this round, once you get into NUS, there will still be a round of application in Sem 2. :)

boredgenius
05-17-2010, 01:07 PM
ladidums: dont worry! Even if you dont get in this round, once you get into NUS, there will still be a round of application in Sem 2. :)

thank you! i will try to apply in sem 2! :D

mystique91
05-17-2010, 03:33 PM
As to whether you should give up your scholarship for USP. Well, I really think it's up to you. Personally I gave up NTU for NUS (though not with a scholarship) because i think it's insane to cram a 4 year honors course into 3 years. BUT there's still the scholarship. I think you should consider your personal circumstance and what you really aspire to do. for myself, I wanted to go on to graduate studies so i thought NUS was a better brand name overall and USP would prep my mind for further studies later. But if i wanted to head straight for work and if prestige of being a scholar is important then I would go for NTU. But one thing puzzles me though - why dont you go for the NUS scholarships? heard the BBA people are pretty laxing with scholarships so far..?

haha NUS did call me up to go for an interview some time around this week. shall go and see what the outcome is before i'll make a decision bah (:

anw thanks for your advice! it really helped :D

artanis
05-21-2010, 12:15 PM
I checked my email this morning and found an email from NUS saying that I am offered a place in the USP.
However, NUS still has not given me a place yet:confused:

lym
05-21-2010, 01:27 PM
i've got my USP acceptance today too! however, im headed to law so i have to forfeit the place.

what did you apply for artanis? you'll probably hear from nus soon!

artanis
05-21-2010, 01:42 PM
i've got my USP acceptance today too! however, im headed to law so i have to forfeit the place.

what did you apply for artanis? you'll probably hear from nus soon!

I applied BBA with Msc Management Concurrent Degree, went to interview a week or so back.
And I received the course offer on 21st May:)

peaches
05-26-2010, 12:11 PM
I went for an interview on April 22 and I've yet to hear any news. My friend who was also called down during that period has already received his rejection(and an email a week prior to that assuring him that they are processing his application). I however, have gotten no response ):
Getting a little anxious as 1 June draws nearer. I've tried calling USP up several times but no one picks up D:
Anyone has an idea of when they will let us know if we are offered a place by?

artanis
05-27-2010, 12:11 PM
I went for an interview on April 22 and I've yet to hear any news. My friend who was also called down during that period has already received his rejection(and an email a week prior to that assuring him that they are processing his application). I however, have gotten no response ):
Getting a little anxious as 1 June draws nearer. I've tried calling USP up several times but no one picks up D:
Anyone has an idea of when they will let us know if we are offered a place by?

They give offers all the way into July IIRC. Choose the university first, consider USP an added bonus:)

loststudent
05-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Don't worry, I received a reply one day before the 1st June via a phone call last year. Stay calm and don't panic!

Haecceity
05-29-2010, 11:45 PM
If I'm not wrong, one of the USP people said that they were still calling people for interview in June. Good luck!

peaches
05-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!
I actually emailed them after I posted here and unfortunately it appears that I do not make the cut. Oh well ):
It would have been nice. Thanks anyways!

flump
05-31-2010, 09:56 AM
hi peaches, was wondering, what did they say when u emailed them?

do u know if they will send out rejection emails..?

artanis
05-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Just for the information, I am declining the USP offer since I have decided to go NTU;) I guess this will free up one more place in USP (and PGP as well):D

leafy
06-12-2010, 12:25 PM
hi people, i ve got offer of DDP(engineering & econs)+ USP. is it too much to handle? i intend to drop either DDP or USP, but dont know which one to drop. both seems interesting. can anyone give advice? like how useful and heavy is USP? which one will give me more credit as in looking for jobs? thanks:)

peaches
06-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Hey flump, sorry for the late reply.

They just said my application was unsuccessful. However, this morning I have received an offer from them. I guess they had spare places? Haha.
I'm extremely conflicted now, I accepted an offer into SMU law yesterday, but the offer from USP is extremely tempting.

Haecceity
06-23-2010, 03:02 PM
@leafy: USP is useful for gaining experience - but I don't think it'll give you as much credit when looking for jobs in the DDP. This is because the DDP allows you to work in either engineering or econs if you choose to in the future, but not USP (ie, opens you to more career options). At the same time, I feel that the USP helps you to discover who you are (preventing a quarter life crisis), which the DDP might not do. I also hear a number of people actually drop their DDP after a while, but that really depends on the individual.

If you think you can manage it, I suggest try both for one sem and make up your mind then.

@peaches: is it still possible to change your mind and enter NUS? I thought the acceptance window is closed?

Thundaraga
01-05-2011, 11:35 AM
eh i got called up for the interview a few days ago. can anyone tell me what attire should i wear (formal or partially formal) and share with me some questions that the interviewers asked? :D And I heard that u have to shake hands with all the interviewers or else they would be offended. is this really true?

randomchum
01-06-2011, 09:47 AM
eh i got called up for the interview a few days ago. can anyone tell me what attire should i wear (formal or partially formal) and share with me some questions that the interviewers asked? :D And I heard that u have to shake hands with all the interviewers or else they would be offended. is this really true?

Congrats! You should wear formal-better to err on the side of overdressing than underdressing :) Questions that interviewers might ask depends on who is interviewing you. While there's this indian prof who may not make it easy for you, there are other nice profs who ask the standard questions like CIP, CCA and stuff. You can check previous posts for a better idea of what kind of questions they may ask. Some of the more unexpected questions I've heard of includes "Is fire alive?". There are no correct answers so dont worry about it!

Also, dont need to shake hands la (unless if the interviewer initiates of course)

Thundaraga
01-08-2011, 10:30 AM
wow thanks but what do i need to bring for the interview? as in what supporting documents? :p

Haecceity
01-08-2011, 10:18 PM
The supporting documents depend on what documents you submitted in your application. Or you could just bring anything that you think might help your application. Your CCA record, definitely. And certificates of achievement? Competitions?

Just to add: I remember getting asked what I hoped to gain from USP, and what I thought USP was about.

Good luck! :)

iceshiel
01-09-2011, 11:12 PM

Wear formal. By formal I mean office-style shirt and pants (if you're a guy). I feel that the tie is optional.

There is no need to shake hands. I didnt. Dont worry too much as the interviewers are friendly.

The questions i got were pretty standard. "Why USP?" "Why did you pick your course?" "How was your NS?" "Is NS important to singapore?"

blaaze
01-13-2011, 04:06 PM
hi all :)

i got a call from nus saying that i've got an appointment for the usp interview...its this sat..the 15th..

Can someone pls tell me what kinda questions i shld expect and is there like another selection thing aft the inreview or is the interview the last one?

mohit.kanwal
01-14-2011, 12:11 AM
you can sieve through a lot of information present in the forum about what questions can be asked. Usually the questions are very general and as ppl have pointed out, do not have a right or wrong answer. Just be passionate about what you speak and claim and yes do not get nervous if the interviewers keep grilling you down on your own claims, defend your claims in the best possible and polite manner. Speak from your heart.

Good Luck

blaaze
01-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Alrite thanks mohit.kanwal :)

oh and is the interview round the last round of selection before they announce if ur accepted or rejected?

Haecceity
01-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Yes. USP only has one round of interview before they tell you if you have been accepted or rejected. Good luck for tomorrow!

Inthelongrun
01-15-2011, 12:12 AM
I went for my interview today, it was quite interesting.

The profs are really quite friendly and they have a sense of humor.

The topic can be really random, for me i talked about finance, economics before delving into politics. While i have another friend who was asked solely on what he wanted to take.

So i guess it may differ from people to people.

mationsbuds
01-15-2011, 08:33 PM
I also went for the interview today, and indeed the interviewers were really friendly and the seniors who were present really played a big role in calming my frayed nerves :/

Anyways the interview went smoothly and I touched on areas such as Law, Politics and Sociology. Surprisingly they didnt ask about interest in any modules and when I asked if I should tie my response (to one of their qns) to modules of interest in USP, they said it wasnt necessary. So oh wells :)

Anyways does anyone know when the results would be out?

iceshiel
01-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Anyone here as dropped USP before?

Freshjunior
02-01-2011, 07:53 PM
After much thought, I have finally come up with a USP essay topic. What I'm not sure is how to show evidence of my specific, first-hand response to an idea or theory. I mean, there is bound to be lots of arguments already published by others for most topics, so how can the examiner tell whether our views are first-hand? Also, it's really hard to explain if I have a personal, unique, or notable relation to it. Some of the others wrote topics such as pythagoras theorm and stem cells, so I'm really wondering how they linked that to their personal relation.

Can someone who passed their USP Essay enlighten us please? :(

Butterbeer
02-01-2011, 10:29 PM
i think the point is not to come up with something ground-breaking, but rather, be able to respond authentically to a certain concept or idea that you find interesting. This means fleshing out your response in detail, showing how you think, how you analyse, how you manage to make certain conclusions based on certain knowledge that you possess, how you are able to be critical and scrutinise the topic with some ability.

The assessors will not be looking for something gimmicky or flashy: its more that they want to see evidence of you thinking for yourself and knowing how to approach new ideas and problems.

artanis
02-21-2011, 12:26 AM
i think the point is not to come up with something ground-breaking, but rather, be able to respond authentically to a certain concept or idea that you find interesting. This means fleshing out your response in detail, showing how you think, how you analyse, how you manage to make certain conclusions based on certain knowledge that you possess, how you are able to be critical and scrutinise the topic with some ability.

The assessors will not be looking for something gimmicky or flashy: its more that they want to see evidence of you thinking for yourself and knowing how to approach new ideas and problems.

I agree with Butterbeer. From my experience in the interview, USP is not trying to collect unique talents, but rather bright minds that can speak for themselves.

Thundaraga
03-03-2011, 09:20 AM
has any one gotten their letter of acceptance yet?

Freshjunior
03-12-2011, 09:28 PM
I've submitted my USP application about a month ago, but there's still no news to date. Do they send out rejection emails for those rejected at the application round? I know that interviews strech all the way to June but I made my application quite early for the second window :D

strawhat-luffy
03-13-2011, 04:21 PM
I have a conditional offer for USP. Received it a week or so before A level results were out. I applied for the round where the application closed like on 31 December 2010 or something, so maybe that's why mine came so early.

Joyls
03-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Hey guys! (: Need a little advice on this matter.
What if I am keen on the concept of the USP but I am currently applying to NUS Med as well? Would that mean that I might not be shortlisted for the interview? Because I do gather that USP students are required to hail from partner faculties that do not include Med&Law.

However, I am interested in the concept of USP and would like to apply because as it is known, admission to NUS Med is highly competitive therefore I might not be able to enter the school (touchwood! ><) . Therefore, I might still be eligible for the USP application should the above scenario occur. I hope someone could give me a little advice on this, thank you so much! :D

Joyls
03-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Hey guys! (: Need a little advice on this matter.
What if I am keen on the concept of the USP but I am currently applying to NUS Med as well? Would that mean that I might not be shortlisted for the interview? Because I do gather that USP students are required to hail from partner faculties that do not include Med&Law.

However, I am interested in the concept of USP and would like to apply because as it is known, admission to NUS Med is highly competitive therefore I might not be able to enter the school (touchwood! ><) . Therefore, I might still be eligible for the USP application should the above scenario occur. I hope someone could give me a little advice on this, thank you so much! :D
Oh hahah, i found the answer to my query! LOLL.. the FAQs for the USP has the answer. Here's the link just in case anyone else has any other inquiries. (USP FAQ Link) (http://www.usp.nus.edu.sg/aboutusp/FAQ/index.html#aq1) :D

Based on the website,
Q2: Can any NUS applicant apply to USP?
Yes, anyone applying to NUS may at the same time apply online for USP separately, 2 April.

Our students are from any one of USP partner NUS faculties or schools (Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Engineering, NUS Business School, School of Computing, School of Design and Environment). You may apply to USP even if your first or second choice is not one of the USP partner faculties and schools (e.g. 1st choice Medicine, 2nd choice Dentistry, 3rd choice Science), however, your place in USP (if selected) is contingent upon your accepting an offer to study in one of these partner faculties and schools.

gggeh
04-08-2011, 03:58 PM
hey guys now my turn to share e usp interview. was 2 pp.

1) Why USP?
2) As you are in e science stream, would it affect e humanities part?
3) What modules you interested in?
4) Qns on my leadership in JC?
5) Share a time wherre u learnt something n there was a learning process?
6) Share a book you read that influenced you.
7) Values and what you think is important in life

Some other qns were continued from e ans I gave...overall ok I guess.

starlight
04-11-2011, 08:04 PM
I went for my interview today :/ 2 profs to 1. The profs were really friendly and nice. Unfortunately, I doubt I did well for my interview. I mentioned that I'm interested in being a diplomat in the future and this prof started asking me about Sg-China relationships, China as a superpower and the possibility of world war 3 or economic war against china and why and who will be the parties against china etc etc.

Then there were general questions such as leadership experience, the courses I applied to (I forgot to mention NUS Law until the female prof clarified!! :X) and how I could help USP?

Anyway, I wanted to ask if anyone knows how the scoring system for the interview is like? I glanced at the score sheet (unintentionally!) and there are scores of 1 to 4 and for each section, the prof has to circle a number. I'm just curious if anyone knows if 1 or 4 is the best??

Thx & good luck! :)

qweasdzxc
04-11-2011, 09:17 PM
hi! my usp interview is on thursday. what should i wear? (i'm a girl) and are heels too formal for the interview? i don't have solid-coloured flats. thanks!

pinepine
04-11-2011, 09:30 PM
hi! my usp interview is on thursday. what should i wear? (i'm a girl) and are heels too formal for the interview? i don't have solid-coloured flats. thanks!

I learnt that there's no such thing as too formal! Haha:D It shows your respect for the interviewers and makes you look like you actually want to be there! As long as your heels are dark-coloured, covers your toes and heels, not flashy, or too high, I believe it's alright. :)

lipstickdelight
04-12-2011, 09:57 PM

Hi! Have you been accepted in NUS already? May I ask for your grades? Thanks & all the best! (:

Haecceity
04-12-2011, 10:04 PM
@lipstick: You can get the USP interview without being accepted into NUS.

@qweasdzxc: Good luck! Yup, heels are ok - pinepine is right - you can't be too formal. :)