PDA

View Full Version : Post if you have received an offer!

contrast_
01-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Just like the title says. ;)

What offers have you received?

I've received conditional offers from Manchester and Glasgow to do Accounting and Finance. ... Haven't receive LSE's letter of acknowledgment yet. :(

yingzhen
01-27-2009, 12:11 AM
In a nutshell for me...

Cambridge Nat Sciences conditional, Imperial chem, UCL chem, UCL nat sci unconditional.

melsonchun
01-27-2009, 07:48 PM
In a nutshell for me...

Cambridge Nat Sciences conditional, Imperial chem, UCL chem, UCL nat sci unconditional.

Hey, how were your O level grades like?

yingzhen
01-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Hmm I was in IP, so I didnt do O levels except for Chinese (in sec 3) and Higher Chinese, both of which I got an A1 and A2 respectively.

cogito
01-28-2009, 11:15 PM
Oxford, Warwick and York, PPE, Conditional for me...

cookielove
03-02-2009, 10:09 AM
hahah hey! i know who are you contrast_. dont be too worried! (: i have only received two offers. maybe email lse? im so nervous:(
ucl, bristol mathematics conditional AAA
Grace

user888
03-04-2009, 09:03 PM
nottingham, york & city- planning on doing economics.

teo_jh
03-10-2009, 08:51 PM
When you will receive the offer depends on how effecient the course is (not the sch) for example i received my offer for imperial materials in march last yr, but the chem eng only in may or june. So dun be too worried. do understand that the schools might be taking their time to offer as the UK students have not applied (if I'm not wrong) as their exams are not yet due.

If you are worried, just send a polite reminder to the course admissions tutor and ask about the progress. if you are applying for scholarship, they would know that generally UK unis are slow in responding and so just that them know u that you ahve applied, yet to receive an offer. Absolutely no problem with that. (:

Hope that helps.

rzw1988
03-30-2009, 12:17 PM
hey i'm heading to UCL, mech eng!

anymore ucl-bound people!?

yanshuo
03-30-2009, 12:17 PM
I have a number of UCL-bound friends. Which JC were you from?

rzw1988
03-30-2009, 12:19 PM
I have a number of UCL-bound friends. Which JC were you from?

haha i was from hwa chong. oh really? i know quite a few too, doing a variety of degrees ranging from law to econs to engine and science stuff.

Skinzzz
03-30-2009, 07:21 PM
hey people, i just received an email from track and i've been accepted into imperial chem eng!!! unconditional offer! woohoo!

user888
03-31-2009, 09:10 AM
anyone heading to nottingham? (:

teo_jh
03-31-2009, 02:13 PM
anyway, my next advice for uk bound ppl is to sit back and wait for the various singapore societies to contact you for orientation (ucl and imperial). for unis with lesser sgporeans, there might not be an orientation but nonetheless they will still contact u. and PLEASE TURN UP FOR THE PRE-DEPARTURE EVENT HOSTED BY THE BRITISH COUNCIL!.

there u will get the information u will need abt uk and get in touch with ur jc alumni (hc, rj, vj) if they are active. it is highly recommended that u participate in ur jc alumni activites to get to know more ppl which will be useful: for e.g. touring other parts of uk, getting to know more ppl in uk, free or subsidised events where there is food (sg food).

so do heed my advice, FOOD IS EX in LONDON. hahhaa. get in touch and all the best to everyone.

yanshuo
03-31-2009, 03:07 PM
so do heed my advice, FOOD IS EX in LONDON. hahhaa. get in touch and all the best to everyone.

I so agree with you! :mad:

Yes, do get in touch with other Singaporeans. From what I know Singaporeans love to tour Europe which is in your backyard if you study in UK. Good time to do it too since things will be cheaper now.

ripepumpkin
03-31-2009, 03:37 PM
I so agree with you! :mad:

Yes, do get in touch with other Singaporeans. From what I know Singaporeans love to tour Europe which is in your backyard if you study in UK. Good time to do it too since things will be cheaper now.

cool, never knew there was a pre-departure gathering :rolleyes:
does warwick have a local organisation? :o

sapphiiregal
04-01-2009, 11:53 AM
unconditional from warwick and conditional from manchester for law (:

shadowdancer
04-14-2009, 06:52 PM
cogito! which college you in?

littleporcupine
04-15-2009, 01:50 PM
I got an offer from Edinburgh (biological sciences)and Newcastle(medicine)! Anyone heading to newcastle?!

alex89
04-17-2009, 11:28 AM
hey! me too. unconditional for newcastle and edin med!

littleporcupine
04-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Did you apply for NUS med as well? Anyway which is your firm?? Edin or newcastle? I got rejected by Edinburgh medicine :( boo haha but when I applied last year , I wasn't sure I wanted to do Medicine so my personal statement sucked. Now I'm really sure though :D

isabelle_jia
04-17-2009, 09:51 PM
unconditional from warwick and conditional from manchester for law (:

i got an unconditional offer from warwick and conditional AAB offer from bristol for law. dont know which uni to choose actually. :(

there are other unis that offered me but these two are the ones that im interested in. :)

but i chose to defer so im only entering next year. i wanted to spend at least 6 months doing internship at a law firm :)

still waiting for nus and smu law actually. i guess nus i dont stand any chances at all. :(

yanshuo
04-17-2009, 10:00 PM
but i chose to defer so im only entering next year. i wanted to spend at least 6 months doing internship at a law firm :)

Are you sure you want to defer just for the sake of a law internship? Are you aware that as an intern in a law firm, you will most likely be doing merely clerical work? (unless of course you have good connections or are good at getting your way with people)

isabelle_jia
04-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Are you sure you want to defer just for the sake of a law internship? Are you aware that as an intern in a law firm, you will most likely be doing merely clerical work? (unless of course you have good connections or are good at getting your way with people)

haha hmm i do have some connections. haha and the thing is i've already applied for a deferred entry. dont think can change though. :( haha

i went for a law internship for a week during the june hols last year then the lawyer brought me to different courts to listen to hearings, to the bar room to chat with diff lawyers and read through his prev cases. very little admin work to do. actually near to zero. he even taught me how to draft affidavit and to liaise with clients. :)

shadowdancer
04-18-2009, 08:16 AM
i went for a law internship for a week during the june hols last year then the lawyer brought me to different courts to listen to hearings, to the bar room to chat with diff lawyers and read through his prev cases. very little admin work to do. actually near to zero. he even taught me how to draft affidavit and to liaise with clients. :)

actually that's probably because it was only a week long. i don't really get rave reviews about longer internships that my friends have gone for. one ended up having to spend 6 weeks sorting through the law firm's old receipts and organising them.

Run
04-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Conditional from Warwick and Unconditional from UCL.

:)

isabelle_jia
04-18-2009, 09:19 PM
actually that's probably because it was only a week long. i don't really get rave reviews about longer internships that my friends have gone for. one ended up having to spend 6 weeks sorting through the law firm's old receipts and organising them.

ahh. hmm ok i see. but is it possible to change my decision now? i mean, if i tell the unis that i want to enter this year, will they change their offer?

littleporcupine
04-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Theres no harm e-mailing the unis directly? The worse that could happen is that they say no and make you wait a year

cwr90
05-08-2009, 11:15 AM
I'm a little confused with the UK system. I received conditional from UCL and unconditional from edinburgh. But only the offer from edinburgh shows that it was updated.

I've chosen UCL as my firm choice. My question is, so what exactly is the difference between conditional and unconditional in this case? Does it mean that I may lose the place if others do better?

To add on, the offer package from UCL got lost in the mail! And I think that the package they resent is lost too! How long does mail take to reach Singapore from London?!:(

Rcc
05-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Did you apply for NUS med as well? Anyway which is your firm?? Edin or newcastle? I got rejected by Edinburgh medicine :( boo haha but when I applied last year , I wasn't sure I wanted to do Medicine so my personal statement sucked. Now I'm really sure though :D

Good lah U ! So which are you going to accept ? 'cos the earlier you accept the sooner you offer your unwanted place to some poor soul waiting on the sidelines !!! Someone who dont have $$$ to go overseas !!!
Hmmm. he he he

contrast_
05-08-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm a little confused with the UK system. I received conditional from UCL and unconditional from edinburgh. But only the offer from edinburgh shows that it was updated.

I've chosen UCL as my firm choice. My question is, so what exactly is the difference between conditional and unconditional in this case? Does it mean that I may lose the place if others do better?

To add on, the offer package from UCL got lost in the mail! And I think that the package they resent is lost too! How long does mail take to reach Singapore from London?!:(

Nope, once u have received an offer and fulfilled the conditions for the offer, u will be guaranteed a place there.

The difference between conditional and unconditional for us singaporeans (I believe uk students only receive their results in july/august so it's a huge difference for them) is that u will not be able to accept a uni as insurance if ur firm choice is an unconditional offer.

In other words, if ur firm choice is an unconditional offer, it is confirmed that u will be going to that particular university.

However, if ur firm choice is a conditional offer, u will be able to make an insurance choice (another university).

I received my LSE package around 2 weeks after the status changed in UCAS. :)

littleporcupine
05-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Good lah U ! So which are you going to accept ? 'cos the earlier you accept the sooner you offer your unwanted place to some poor soul waiting on the sidelines !!! Someone who dont have $$$ to go overseas !!!
Hmmm. he he he

haha I already declined my offers on UCAS so that someone else can have my place =) I'm accepting nus med!

alex89
05-09-2009, 08:02 PM

yep. i got nus med too. edin rejected me at 1st. then i asked why. they said din get my UKCAT (which I DID send), so they checked again and gave me the offer =]

iceman
05-10-2009, 12:02 AM
hi all, im currently a JC1 student at hwachong.

i'm just curious

1) How do u guys get offers from UK universities? Do you guys apply with your prelim results? or?
2) What do u mean by conditional offer???

sorry if the questions may sound newbie-ish, but I really got no idea about this system and I need to know it sooner or later =/

thanks for help

teo_jh
05-10-2009, 03:57 AM

hello,
it is common for ucas status to not be updated. mine was too last year. just call up UCL then they will update the status for u on ucas (they probably forgot to inform ucas).

conditional means if u dun make the grade they listed u lose ur place, unconditional means ur place is guaranteed.

call ucl for the package should not take more than 2 weeks. if i didnt rmb wrongly ucl send their packages in april/may. no harm asking for another one.

littleporcupine
05-10-2009, 02:04 PM

i'm just curious

1) How do u guys get offers from UK universities? Do you guys apply with your prelim results? or?

sorry if the questions may sound newbie-ish, but I really got no idea about this system and I need to know it sooner or later =/

thanks for help

You apply with predicted grades, so time to start sucking up to your teachers xD
and since we apply using predicted grades, the unis will give you a conditional offer first. So you have to meet the conditions of the offer first before you get the place =D

iceman
05-10-2009, 03:17 PM
hmm..

i was wondering, if anyone got conditional offer, met the criteria, but failed to get a scholarship and can't go overseas? won't that be sad? =/

loststudent
05-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Well, that's the case for me here. Got both conditional and unconditional offers, met all criteria but I haven't even secured a scholarship to go overseas. Sigh, guess I will have to reject them soon. Pretty sad but I don't have a choice...

Run
05-10-2009, 08:29 PM

i'm just curious

thanks for help

If you're serving NS, you can apply with your 'A' Level results. In fact, you should only apply with your 'A' Level results, since UK only allows for 1 year of deferment, so the earliest you can apply is the year that you're entering NS.

Conditional offer means that there is a condition you must satisfy before they will offer you a place. For those who apply before their 'A' levels (usually for girls or overseas students who don't have to serve NS), usually the conditions will be to attain certain grades, e.g. AAA or AAB etc. The conditions might also be that you have to pass a "recognised English exam", usually for those who didn't take 'O' level English. Other (less common) conditions I've heard of is that the applicant must send proof of their results, or prove that you have the financial means to study at the university. Conditions depends on each university and the course you apply to read.

Rcc
05-10-2009, 09:53 PM
haha I already declined my offers on UCAS so that someone else can have my place =) I'm accepting nus med!

Good Girl ! Though I wished you had taken up the overseas & left the NUS ones for us . he he NVM it's nice to know we are going to have a committed Doctor in our local hospitals . Keep the fire burning. Best wishes :)

shadowdancer
05-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Well, that's the case for me here. Got both conditional and unconditional offers, met all criteria but I haven't even secured a scholarship to go overseas. Sigh, guess I will have to reject them soon. Pretty sad but I don't have a choice...

that makes two of us then =(

cwr90
05-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Nope, once u have received an offer and fulfilled the conditions for the offer, u will be guaranteed a place there.

The difference between conditional and unconditional for us singaporeans (I believe uk students only receive their results in july/august so it's a huge difference for them) is that u will not be able to accept a uni as insurance if ur firm choice is an unconditional offer.

In other words, if ur firm choice is an unconditional offer, it is confirmed that u will be going to that particular university.

However, if ur firm choice is a conditional offer, u will be able to make an insurance choice (another university).

I received my LSE package around 2 weeks after the status changed in UCAS. :)

hm.. but I thought that if I meet their condition with my actual 'A' level results, they'd change the status to unconditional? That's what happened for Uni. of Edinburgh. UCL has offered me a place but the status on UCAS still remains as conditional? Is it because they can't be bothered to change it?

cwr90
05-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Aw man! Why don't you try approaching companies instead? It doesn't have to be a school based scholarship. As long as someone is paying, you'll be able to go! Try emailing a testimonial or a personal statement to companies.

contrast_
05-12-2009, 07:11 PM
that makes two of us then =(

Make that three.

My mum told me not to reject them first in case she won the 4D or something :D LOL! I've already resigned to fate though :/

hm.. but I thought that if I meet their condition with my actual 'A' level results, they'd change the status to unconditional? That's what happened for Uni. of Edinburgh. UCL has offered me a place but the status on UCAS still remains as conditional? Is it because they can't be bothered to change it?

Hmm, did you mail your results to them? I know some universities might not change the status on UCAS. Yeah maybe they can't be bothered, haha.

alex89
05-12-2009, 10:36 PM
me three!!! one last scholarship to go....i have to make it count! otherwise bye bye edinburgh

alex89
05-13-2009, 12:53 PM
hmm, may i know how did u get the unconditional for edin?

i asked the officer there, and they said even tho i've submitted my A level and O level results via UCAS, they still need the non-academic requirements to be fulfilled before my offer becomes unconditional. meaning i have to settle the fee deposit and financial guarantee =.=

anyone else with the same prob for uni edin?

shadowdancer
05-13-2009, 06:51 PM
hmm what companies would you suggest. i'm rather. noobed. and overly dependent on brightsparks. lol.

i know that many scholarships don't offer for law students. seems like a lot more people dislike lawyers than i thought. haha

nala
05-18-2009, 10:00 PM
vet sci unconditional glasgow n edinburgh.

qwerty
05-18-2009, 10:31 PM
University of Manchester: Economics and Finance
University of Edinburgh: Economics and Business Studies

roflwaffle
05-19-2009, 02:17 PM
UCL, uni of st andrews, uni of edinburgh: economics & geography

currently torn btwn UCL and nus law though :/

ultrasc
05-19-2009, 02:38 PM
UCL, uni of st andrews, uni of edinburgh: economics & geography

currently torn btwn UCL and nus law though :/

its abt what u want to do.. law and econs&geo are 2 very different thing.
i'll advise u put ur interest ahead of the school reputation per se.

jl11
06-05-2009, 12:40 AM
University of Manchester Unconditional, University of Leeds conditional, University of Leicester conditional.
Queen Mary London, University of Sheffield unsuccessful
All Law.

wrikler
06-08-2009, 06:13 PM
University of Edinburgh - Unconditional
University of Durham - Unconditional
University of Newcastle - Unconditional
University of Cardiff - Unconditional
All for accountancy

Markeur
06-29-2009, 12:52 AM
Aw man! Why don't you try approaching companies instead? It doesn't have to be a school based scholarship. As long as someone is paying, you'll be able to go! Try emailing a testimonial or a personal statement to companies.
How'd you approach those companies?How'd you convince them to pay for your expenses?

Icesmash1
12-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Congratulations; The University of Birmingham has asked us to tell you that it is offering you a place for Economics, L100; starting in October 2011 at point of entry 1.
The conditions of the offer are:

This offer is subject to you obtaining
Verification of

A Levels
Please send evidence of your qualification(s) to the Admissions Office.
Please note, evidence must be in the form of either an original certificate/transcript or a
photocopy certified by your School/College/Institution.

So, how do i go about sending a certified copy to them?

SCSC
12-05-2009, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=Icesmash1;24965]Congratulations; The University of Birmingham has asked us to tell you that it is offering you a place for Economics, L100; starting in October 2011 at point of entry 1.
The conditions of the offer are:

Verification of

A Levels
Please send evidence of your qualification(s) to the Admissions Office.
Please note, evidence must be in the form of either an original certificate/transcript or a
photocopy certified by your School/College/Institution.

So, how do i go about sending a certified copy to them?

You could get your JC to certified true copy and then send it to Birmingham. You need to do that after you have decided on Birmingham as your firm choice. You could enquire with Edulink its Singapore agent.

chasingpavements
12-16-2009, 10:05 AM
hey, does this mean that you got an unconditional offer? because the offers I've gotten are all subjected to me getting ABB or AAB.

by the way, did LSE or Warwick reply any of you?

Icesmash1
12-17-2009, 10:54 PM
My UCAS account states conditional for birmingham. But the condition is simply sending in a certified copy of my results certificate to them. So in a way, i have secured a place in birmingham (meaning unconditional).

I applied to warwick, lse, ucl, st andrews and birmingham.

So far, birmingham unconditional and st andrews unsuccessful. I'll update you if I get any more offers.

chasingpavements
12-18-2009, 08:46 PM
My UCAS account states conditional for birmingham. But the condition is simply sending in a certified copy of my results certificate to them. So in a way, i have secured a place in birmingham (meaning unconditional).

I applied to warwick, lse, ucl, st andrews and birmingham.

So far, birmingham unconditional and st andrews unsuccessful. I'll update you if I get any more offers.

Wow congrats! I applied to Warwick LSE St Andrews Edinburgh and Manchester, so far I've gotten a conditional from St Andrews Edinburgh and Manchester. I really want Warwick though /: can't wait for their reply ! oh and I'm doing Econs and Pol Science so we're same in a way [:

Run
12-18-2009, 09:50 PM
hey, does this mean that you got an unconditional offer? because the offers I've gotten are all subjected to me getting ABB or AAB.

by the way, did LSE or Warwick reply any of you?

It means he must produce proof of his results before he is accepted.

From what I have observed, and assuming nothing has changed over the past few years, LSE usually gives offers in batches, on Fridays (one wonders why) separated by several weeks. So unless they decide to change their decision policy, you only need to check UCAS on Fridays. :D

For me, LSE, UCL and Warwick replied near April, even though I submitted my application in November. For LSE, I've heard of people getting their decisions really, really late, like in May. So if you're not applying for deferred entry, you might want to start looking at accommodation before that, since accommodation applications are usually due around that time.

Of course, it might be different this year... If not...

Icesmash1
12-19-2009, 11:37 AM
It means he must produce proof of his results before he is accepted.

From what I have observed, and assuming nothing has changed over the past few years, LSE usually gives offers in batches, on Fridays (one wonders why) separated by several weeks. So unless they decide to change their decision policy, you only need to check UCAS on Fridays. :D

For me, LSE, UCL and Warwick replied near April, even though I submitted my application in November. For LSE, I've heard of people getting their decisions really, really late, like in May. So if you're not applying for deferred entry, you might want to start looking at accommodation before that, since accommodation applications are usually due around that time.

Of course, it might be different this year... If not...

Why do LSE, UCL and Warwick send their replies at such a later date compared to Birmingham and st andrews? Is it because of the huge number of qualified candidates applying?

Run
12-20-2009, 01:50 PM
To get an answer to that question you got to ask the admissions office.

But the reasons you suggested do sound like possible reasons. Or they could be slacking off till the end of the week before rushing through giving decisions to applicants.

Of course, everyone hopes it's the first reason. :p

All the other non-London universities seem to reply really early. I had my decision from York about one to two weeks after my application, and replies from St. Andrews a few weeks after that.

yodatan
12-20-2009, 05:15 PM
not necessarily true... warwick and LSE replied me really quickly within 2 mths... to reject me :D

songwei
12-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Hey guys. I'm a poly graduate now in ns. I've got accepted into Coventry uni for my degree studies. Will be starting school on 27sept if there are no problems with my application procedures.

Gonna ord on 10 sept. Do you think if the dates are a bit rushed?
I'm actually quite nervous of yransfering the deposit to the school by bank transfer, is there other ways of doing it?

SCSC
12-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Hey guys. I'm a poly graduate now in ns. I've got accepted into Coventry uni for my degree studies. Will be starting school on 27sept if there are no problems with my application procedures.

I'm actually quite nervous of yransfering the deposit to the school by bank transfer, is there other ways of doing it?

Hope I can help. The date between ORD & Orientation is fine provided everything is done in good time. Importantly, firmed up your offer thru UCAS, the university will send you the necessary documents once it's firmed, nearer September, it will send you the `Welcome Pack' with the instructions and guide including the tuition and accomodation fees (if u are staying in). You could choose to pay by instalments or lump sum, either by direct debit, credit card or cash. The uni will also send you a Visa Letter for you to apply your student visa. All these must be done before your ORD in time for your studies.

Opening a student account in the UK is not that easy. But, HSBC Bank allows opening this in Singapore. This is very helpful especially when you reach UK. I advise opening of account earlier so that you could advise your uni to deduct your fees accordingly if you choose the direct debit.

Hope that helps for the time being.

ukstudy
01-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Hi Everyone

i gathered that there will be an Education UK Fair held on the 13 March 2010, so for those who are keen to find out more about studying in the UK take this opportunity to find out more.

http://eastasia.britishcouncil.org/public/event.aspx?country=singapore&eventname=Education UK Exhibition 2010&Event_ID=0a10926d-7f99-4ddf-8fe7-77efbe768b5f

rui
01-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Hi Everyone

i gathered that there will be an Education UK Fair held on the 13 March 2010, so for those who are keen to find out more about studying in the UK take this opportunity to find out more.

http://eastasia.britishcouncil.org/public/event.aspx?country=singapore&eventname=Education UK Exhibition 2010&Event_ID=0a10926d-7f99-4ddf-8fe7-77efbe768b5f

Very much appreciated! :)

ukstudy
01-07-2010, 12:16 PM

Please take note that you need to ample time for a UK student Visa. The process takes about 15 working days, read more about it here (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/studyingintheuk/). Even so you will need time to make travel arrangements piror your trip (e.g. air tickets).

So my advice is to ask if you are able to get an earlier deferment from Mindef.

SCSC
01-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Please take note that you need to ample time for a UK student Visa. The process takes about 15 working days, read more about it here (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/studyingintheuk/). Even so you will need time to make travel arrangements piror your trip (e.g. air tickets).

So my advice is to ask if you are able to get an earlier deferment from Mindef.

Agree that you need to prepare early especially the visa application. It takes 3-15 days for the approval. But if you provide them with all the required documents and not during peak period, the approval will be faster. My friend took 3 days to have his visa approved. I would advise that one applies once you receive the Visa Letter from your sponsor (the university). The despatch varies from university to university. My friend received his in June 2009, 3 months before term starts.

As to early deferment, do not pin too much hope on it. I know the chances of getting a deferment for `A' level graduates is zero. But, it's advisable to check with MINDEF if one is a poly graduate.

songwei
01-08-2010, 03:07 PM
thanks for the information. I do not really understand how I can obtain a visa yet, do I need to show my pink IC (meaning ORD by then) to apply for a visa? How many days do you think I should defer? And what other administration matters I have to settle in SG before flying to UK?

SCSC
01-08-2010, 07:14 PM
thanks for the information. I do not really understand how I can obtain a visa yet, do I need to show my pink IC (meaning ORD by then) to apply for a visa? How many days do you think I should defer? And what other administration matters I have to settle in SG before flying to UK?

Take it that you have a valid Singapore passport. Your sponsor (Uni of Conventry) will issue you a Visa letter months in advance after acceptance. The letter will include details like the course, place of studies, duration, fees, etc. With the letter, your valid Singapore passport, passport-size photo, 3 months bank statement with you as a joint account, original GCE O & A certs and the necessary fees, you submit your application at the Visa Office at Robinson Road, Singapore. Prior to that, you must go the website and apply online, print out the form and submit it with the documents as mentioned above.

Importantly, you must show evidence that you or your parents have the financial means to support your studies. The bank statements must have you as a joint account and at least 3 months before the time of submission (please refer to the website for details again).

Once you have submitted your application, it will be couriered to the Bristish High Commission in KL for approval. It will normall takes 3-15 days for it to be approved.

As to other administrative matters, you must book your air-ticket in advance cos that period is considered peak period. You could book one-way or round-about trip. SIA allows the utilisation of the return flight within a year but of course it's more expensive. FYI, all airlines catered extra weight for students (but you must produce evidence as a student). Your choice of airport could be Heathrow or others depending on airline). If you land al Heathrow, there are trains or coaches to Conventry. Again, book early, especially for National Coach special offers like funfare where it cost only GBP5 per trip. But of course check with your university as they will have the
`meet-and-greet' service.

On the day of arrival at Heathrow Airport, there are special lanes for 1st time students to the UK. New international students will have to go thru these lanes. Medical examination and x-ray is not complusory but depending on your luck. If you are unlucky, you could be pulled up and ask for the x-ray. They could ask you to have one on the spot. As such, cater for at least two hours to clear immigration and custom.

As to the deferment for poly graduates, I cannot help. But you could approach your S1 or Chief Clerk.

ukstudy
01-13-2010, 03:47 PM

If you are planning ahead, do refer to the online guides below on how you can plan prior your study trip and the things you should expect in the UK

Education UK guides (http://www.educationuk.org/pls/hot_bc/page_pls_user_article?x=194417910507&y=0&a=0&d=4421)

UKCISA - advice for international students (http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/index.php)

songwei
01-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the much needed info. I think I will be planning to make a trip to the University and have a walkabout around the campus. Hope I make the right choice!

eho
04-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Unconditional for UCL and warwick economics.

Lexlemd
04-07-2010, 11:58 PM
Joint architectural degree between University of Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan University - Unconditional Offer
Architectural and landscape double degree, Sheffield University - Conditional offer
Architectural study , Newcastle University - Unconditional offer
Architecture, Oxford Brookes University - Conditional offer

midori
04-12-2010, 11:09 AM
hi,

i got an offer from LSE for international relations

I really like this course and would want to study it, but my parents arent very keen in letting me to study International relations.

LSE is really a reputable and established university, but i cant seem to find viable career prospect options to convince my parents, esp when scholarship organisations have yet to contact me,

anyone can help?

thanx alot!!!

Haecceity
04-12-2010, 11:47 AM
hi,

I really like this course and would want to study it, but my parents arent very keen in letting me to study International relations.

LSE is really a reputable and established university, but i cant seem to find viable career prospect options to convince my parents, esp when scholarship organisations have yet to contact me,

anyone can help?

thanx alot!!!
Off the top of my head, you could consider working for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs? You can start working in an MNC, with the bonus of starting to network in London? Non-profit international organisations? Academics? Specifically related to foreign affairs; you can always work in an job unrelated to your degree. :)

If not, you can always take a Graduate Degree in something else to complement your first degree. :D

midori
04-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Off the top of my head, you could consider working for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs? You can start working in an MNC, with the bonus of starting to network in London? Non-profit international organisations? Academics? Specifically related to foreign affairs; you can always work in an job unrelated to your degree. :)

If not, you can always take a Graduate Degree in something else to complement your first degree. :D

i thought of MFA, but wasnt really keen to work there after hearing from interns who had prior experience there. MNC sounds plausible, but i am not if MNCs would accept graduates with IR degrees.

yodatan
04-13-2010, 10:05 AM
hi,

anyone can help?

thanx alot!!!

imo... what u study isn't so important, the branding of the university is there... its enough to make local employers fall all over u (seriously)

most people dont end up doing what they study...

besides, u can always pick up any technical skills on the job...

its impt that u are studying something that u are interested in, its easier to work towards good grades (which also count towards employability, no?)

Run
04-13-2010, 10:25 AM
imo... what u study isn't so important, the branding of the university is there... its enough to make local employers fall all over u (seriously)

most people dont end up doing what they study...

besides, u can always pick up any technical skills on the job...

its impt that u are studying something that u are interested in, its easier to work towards good grades (which also count towards employability, no?)

Branding is important, and it's good to study what you like. But make sure that what you study teaches you important skills. I think a major reasons why people are able to do something seemingly different from what they studied is because their course did equip them with skills which were transferable to other areas?

For example, a graduate with a Statistics degree does not necessarily have to be a Statistician; he/she can work in data management (okay, so it's kind of related), and in banking because of the analytical skills he/she picked up during the course of his degree.

This is just my opinion. :)

If possible, you could look up the Singapore alumni club and link up with IR graduates and talk to them. You might learn a lot about future job prospects that way, and perhaps change your parents' mindset.

jakechia
04-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Warwick economics :)

hosannapraisegod
04-17-2010, 06:19 PM
King's College London - Business Management
University of Manchester - Business Studies & Economics

Offers conditional on IELTS scores - 7.0 for KCL and 6.5 for Manchester.

Cleared the IELTS with band score of 8.0.
So they are unconditional now. :)

Poly kia here.

muggermaniac
04-18-2010, 12:09 AM
King's College London - Business Management
University of Manchester - Business Studies & Economics

Offers conditional on IELTS scores - 7.0 for KCL and 6.5 for Manchester.

Cleared the IELTS with band score of 8.0.
So they are unconditional now. :)

Poly kia here.

congrats hossanapraisegod :)

mind sharing your poly results/your experience in applying for these unis?

hosannapraisegod
04-18-2010, 12:34 AM
congrats hossanapraisegod :)

mind sharing your poly results/your experience in applying for these unis?

Many thanks! :)

Poly gpa 3.75++. :)

chipmunk
04-19-2010, 07:06 PM
hey there!

im interested in studying chemistry overseas (preferably UK). does anyone have any recommendations? im actually stuck in between NUS chem & UK chem.

btw, would it be too late to apply now? i know that the deadline's 30june, but that really depends on the vacancies and waiting list.

hope someone replies to this! thanks!!

Run
04-19-2010, 10:07 PM
hey there!

im interested in studying chemistry overseas (preferably UK). does anyone have any recommendations? im actually stuck in between NUS chem & UK chem.

btw, would it be too late to apply now? i know that the deadline's 30june, but that really depends on the vacancies and waiting list.

hope someone replies to this! thanks!!

Hmm, I think it's a little late to apply now. Most, if not all, of the spots at the top universities would already have been filled. When do you intend to enter university? If it's this year, then I'd recommend you try anyway. If not, don't bother and apply during the next cycle.

Between NUS Chem and UK Chem (if that's what you're asking), I think that both will offer similar teaching styles. Lecture-based, with some lab work. I could be wrong on this, but that's what I've heard from my friends. In terms of job prospects, it really depends on which university you go to, and where you intend to work in the future. A degree in Chemistry from, say, Imperial, would have greater global recognition as compared to one from NUS. But if you intend to work in Singapore right after graduation, and have good honors, I think it won't put you at a disadvantage.

Studying locally is definitely much cheaper, and in the sciences I don't think Singapore is lagging far behind its western peers. (It's a different story in the arts and humanities though :p )

What I've just typed is all from my own knowledge and my own opinions, so it might not be a hundred percent accurate, but I hope it helps. :)

blueberryz
04-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Hi, anyone who knows how to appeal if one fails to meet the conditional offer given? [I missed the H3 grade condition, but I met the H2 grades ._.]

ekyhdeveloper
04-28-2010, 10:11 PM
I think it depends on which school it is; might want to go on http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/ forums to look for more advice too.

Anyway since everyone is posting this too:

http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=33423&postcount=9

EDIT: don't want to double post

eho
04-29-2010, 10:06 AM
I think it depends on which school it is; might want to go on http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/ forums to look for more advice too.

Anyway since everyone is posting this too:

London School of Economics: Economics - Unconditional Offer --> Declined
University of Oxford: Economics and Management - Unconditional Offer --> Firm

congrats! do you mind telling your grades?

Run
04-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Hi, anyone who knows how to appeal if one fails to meet the conditional offer given? [I missed the H3 grade condition, but I met the H2 grades ._.]

How much did you miss it by? I'd say email admissions to ask, since you'd probably have to show them your grades sooner or later anyway. If it's one subject, and by one grade, they MIGHT overlook it.

ekyhdeveloper
04-29-2010, 04:45 PM
congrats! do you mind telling your grades?

Thanks. Sure, let me try and recall -- I'm rather old-school now.

GCE 'A' Levels 2007:

H1 Mother Tongue (Brought forward) (A1); H1 Project Work (A); H1 General Paper (A); H2 Biology (A); H2 Chemistry (A); H2 Maths (A); H2 Economics (A); H3 SMU Game Theory and Competition (Merit)

Yup that's about it I believe. Honestly, though, I thought the grades were but half the battle (or less) - luck and sprained, irreversibly crossed fingers played a huge part..

isaac
04-29-2010, 05:25 PM
leeds medicine! still deciding btw leeds and australia...

blueberryz
04-30-2010, 08:41 AM
How much did you miss it by? I'd say email admissions to ask, since you'd probably have to show them your grades sooner or later anyway. If it's one subject, and by one grade, they MIGHT overlook it.

They asked for a H3 distinction in addition to the H2 requirements, and i only managed to obtain a merit (and furthermore my H3 subject was not relevant to the course i applied for). I emailed the admissions my grades and they said they will review it again when everyone's results come in during August -_-

Anyway I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I got a scholarship offer but they asked me to study another course. So they told me to take a gap year to apply for the course they want me to take up. Should I do so because I kind of like the organisation but the course they would like me to take up is quite specialised and if I were to leave the organisation one day I won't know what to work as. Is that a risk I should take?:confused: I have to reply to them soon and I really don't want to think about it ):

blueberryz
04-30-2010, 08:44 AM
anyway here are my applications:

imperial chem (conditional)
UCL chem (conditional)
manchester chem (unconditional)
warwick chem (unconditional)

Run
04-30-2010, 09:04 AM
They asked for a H3 distinction in addition to the H2 requirements, and i only managed to obtain a merit (and furthermore my H3 subject was not relevant to the course i applied for). I emailed the admissions my grades and they said they will review it again when everyone's results come in during August -_-

Anyway I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I got a scholarship offer but they asked me to study another course. So they told me to take a gap year to apply for the course they want me to take up. Should I do so because I kind of like the organisation but the course they would like me to take up is quite specialised and if I were to leave the organisation one day I won't know what to work as. Is that a risk I should take?:confused: I have to reply to them soon and I really don't want to think about it ):

Are you able to fund your own studies? If you are, and the organization wants you to take up another course that's different from what you'd like to study, then I'd say fund yourself and study the course you like. Especially since you raised the possibility of yourself working elsewhere besides the firm. Unless you really intend to have a career with the organization and are truly passionate about working with them, I wouldn't recommend taking up a scholarship with a bond. Just my two cents' worth.

ekyhdeveloper
04-30-2010, 09:26 AM
Opting for a gap year is a huge decision to make; as much as you're perplexed, you should really give the matter some careful thought. As Run has mentioned, if self-funding is an option, it might be the wiser choice. Consider a few things with regard to the gap year: Do you have anything meaningful to do over the gap year (which, in turn, can be an important selling point in college applications)? Are you very certain you will get into the university + course specified by your scholarship organization after the gap year; will the scholarship still be open to you, otherwise? Is the scholarship deal (bond period included) worth the 1 year delay?

At the end of the day, these are some of the things you need to work out by yourself, or with your family. I'd just hate to see you cliff-hanging in a year. All the best! :)

eho
04-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks. Sure, let me try and recall -- I'm rather old-school now.

GCE 'A' Levels 2007:

H1 Mother Tongue (Brought forward) (A1); H1 Project Work (A); H1 General Paper (A); H2 Biology (A); H2 Chemistry (A); H2 Maths (A); H2 Economics (A); H3 SMU Game Theory and Competition (Merit)

Yup that's about it I believe. Honestly, though, I thought the grades were but half the battle (or less) - luck and sprained, irreversibly crossed fingers played a huge part..

Thanks for sharing! Are you going on a scholarship? If so, which one?

ekyhdeveloper
04-30-2010, 09:45 AM
I applied to one scholarship this year because I was very interested in what they did, but I'm still the process of that.

Otherwise I'll still be going, privately.

EDIT: How about you, may I have the pleasure to know where you'll be headed to? :)

riz_samass
04-30-2010, 09:46 AM
I applied with my friends (jz for fun cos I do not have money to go overseas)

Nottingham Econs - Conditional
York Econs - Unconditional
Southampton Econs - Conditional
Warwick Econs - Conditional
Queen Mary Econs - Unconditional

SCSC
04-30-2010, 09:52 AM
leeds medicine! still deciding btw leeds and australia...

Isaac, the decision is a very much easier one in view of the weak sterling pound. Leeds is more reputable medical school as compared to any of those in Australia unless for other reasons. I am of the opinion that UK medical schools are above those of Australia, especially for standard of teaching, recognition and duration. Most of UK medical courses are 5 years as compared to 6 to those in Australia, less Monash and Tasmania.

isaac
04-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Isaac, the decision is a very much easier one in view of the weak sterling pound. Leeds is more reputable medical school as compared to any of those in Australia unless for other reasons. I am of the opinion that UK medical schools are above those of Australia, especially for standard of teaching, recognition and duration. Most of UK medical courses are 5 years as compared to 6 to those in Australia, less Monash and Tasmania.

haha, the monetary issue is not the only thing. as of now, uk only allows us to remain in uk for the 2 yr housemanship(unless you marry a British national and gain PR ;) ), whereas for australia you can stay on indefinitely after u receive a HO post. (plus a likely PR).
i'm not too keen on returning to Singapore. not only is the pay lower, workload is also higher.

SCSC
04-30-2010, 10:08 AM
haha, the monetary issue is not the only thing. as of now, uk only allows us to remain in uk for the 2 yr housemanship(unless you marry a British national and gain PR ;) ), whereas for australia you can stay on indefinitely after u receive a HO post. (plus a likely PR).
i'm not too keen on returning to Singapore. not only is the pay lower, workload is also higher.

Like what I mentioned that you may wish to decide on Australia for other reasons beside monetary. If you prefer Australia for the reasons mentioned above, go for it. Sorry that Singapore is going to lose another of our talented youngster in place of the half-baked foreign talent. However, British medical degrees are widely accepted in Australia. So, settling down there is not a problem at all. But, it will be better to have studied there instead. Go for where you heart takes you. Good luck.

blueberryz
04-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Opting for a gap year is a huge decision to make; as much as you're perplexed, you should really give the matter some careful thought. As Run has mentioned, if self-funding is an option, it might be the wiser choice. Consider a few things with regard to the gap year: Do you have anything meaningful to do over the gap year (which, in turn, can be an important selling point in college applications)? Are you very certain you will get into the university + course specified by your scholarship organization after the gap year; will the scholarship still be open to you, otherwise? Is the scholarship deal (bond period included) worth the 1 year delay?

At the end of the day, these are some of the things you need to work out by yourself, or with your family. I'd just hate to see you cliff-hanging in a year. All the best! :)

Self funding is pretty much not possible for me because my family is not really well off and secondly i can get into chemistry locally so it's quite a waste of money to do it overseas... and i doubt i will ever earn enough as a chemist to cover the expenses incurred during the studies. and unfortunately my answer is no to all your questions T.T

the scholarship deal will be worth the 1 yr wait... but there's a huge chance that everything else will fall through and the organisation will end up dropping me or sth like that.

what i kind of intend to do now is to ask them if anyone gives up the chemistry offer would they consider me for that instead. [the reason why they offered me another course was because they had other candidates to consider for chem]

otherwise i will just take up a place in a local U (:

thanks for all your replies! :D

eho
04-30-2010, 10:50 AM

Hmm.... august is far too late to confirm where you'll be heading to! You'll probably need to give your scholarship organisation some assurance of your university before that.

Well, if I were you I would take up a course which allows me some leeway or flexibility in moving to another career. Unless you are very certain that you would love to work in your scholarship organisation for life. I wouldn't be that certain at this stage because of the lack of work experience, and your tastes and preferences may change over time. If you can afford, do consider going without a scholarship to pursue the course you are interested in. Do well in that course and I'm sure you'll find a very suitable job for yourself later on. Remember, you should be determining your life (scholarship being part of what you want), not let the scholarship organisation determine you.

eho
04-30-2010, 10:54 AM
I applied to one scholarship this year because I was very interested in what they did, but I'm still the process of that.

Otherwise I'll still be going, privately.

EDIT: How about you, may I have the pleasure to know where you'll be headed to? :)

I see. All the best! (: I'm heading to UCL for econs and most likely under the Sime Darby Scholarship.

ekyhdeveloper
04-30-2010, 11:30 AM
That's nice. See you in england, come fall. :)

eho
04-30-2010, 03:28 PM
That's nice. See you in england, come fall. :)

oh I'm still serving NS. I'll be going in 2011. haha.

ekyhdeveloper
05-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Oh well. 2011 is fine too. Good luck with your remaining year.

blueberryz
05-05-2010, 11:18 AM
--deleted--

mao1990
05-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Hi ppl

Have anyone applied to King's? I am intending to study pharmacy at King's. :)

Pan89
06-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Hi ppl

Have anyone applied to King's? I am intending to study pharmacy at King's. :)

i did, for MPharm. But unsuccessful beacuse of 'late application.'

kthxbye
07-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Unconditional - LSE BSc Econ, Cambridge BA Econ, UCL BSc Econ, Manchester BSc Econ

Unsuccessful - Warwick BSc Econ.

Firmed LSE BSc Econ.

eho
07-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Unconditional - LSE BSc Econ, Cambridge BA Econ, UCL BSc Econ, Manchester BSc Econ

Unsuccessful - Warwick BSc Econ.

Firmed LSE BSc Econ.

Congrats on your successful applications! (: strange thing that warwick rejected you. any reason given? Btw, did you by any chance take H3 economics?

sun_Catcher
07-19-2010, 09:07 PM
BMus (Hons), Royal Northern College of Music, Conditional

Just a short walk away from Uni of Manchester..

So anyone accepting their offers and heading to M'cR?

dagr816292
07-31-2010, 08:47 PM
HI! I am interested in taking the Law programme at Durham, Warwick or Southampton. (I'm J2 this year. :))

Does anyone know when the departure dates for these colleges are? Perhaps an estimate? Like, mid-August or the like? Or is it the same for all UK Universities?

I would really love to know because there's a World Youth Day happening next year and I really want to go. =/

THANKS!! :D

Pan89
08-01-2010, 07:35 AM
HI! I am interested in taking the Law programme at Durham, Warwick or Southampton. (I'm J2 this year. :))

Does anyone know when the departure dates for these colleges are? Perhaps an estimate? Like, mid-August or the like? Or is it the same for all UK Universities?

I would really love to know because there's a World Youth Day happening next year and I really want to go. =/

THANKS!! :D

I have a friend going to study Law at Southampton this year. He's leaving departing on 21 Sept.

joofei
11-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Conditional Offer from Imperial College London. Still waiting for other offers. :)

platinum3667
11-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Unconditional offer from UCL to study civil engin.. still waiting for offers though.. just curious, is it hard to attain at least a 2:1 at UCL? i read that some unis are more stringent in giving out good honours eg imperial..

chris_mc726
12-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Hmmm. I got an unconditional offer from University of Liverpool. I'm still in my final semester in poly. I tot they should be giving out conditional offer instead?

justifiedcause
12-03-2010, 12:12 AM
I've got unconditionals from both durham and bristol for economics, still waiting for other offers.

innovator
12-05-2010, 01:07 AM
hi guys... im currently in my 5th sem of poly n would like to know what would be the total cost like to study in london... such as ICL, KCL, UCL...

porcupine03
12-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Hey,
I got unconditional for Civil Eng and Electrical Eng courses from UCL :)
Waiting for others

chris_mc726
01-12-2011, 11:53 PM
Subject: LL.B(3 Years)

The University of Sheffield: Unconditional
University of Leeds: Unconditional
University of Southampton: Conditional
University of Liverpool: Unconditional
University of Exeter: Unconditional

jayax
03-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Law at Oriel College, Oxford: Conditional
Law at KCL: Conditional

Brooke79
03-22-2011, 03:17 PM
LSE Econs & Social Policy - Condtional

I was hoping to ask if anyone took a loan / knew anyone who took a loan to fund their studies in the UK? And how was like repaying it?

Basically, my parents are pretty against me taking a loan to fund my education overseas because I can still go to a local uni and well they don't want me to be in debt so early in my life.
So I've applied for a few scholarships- MAS,EDB,SIA-SINDA,IE.
And I got distinctions in GP,PW,MT and my H2's (BCME)

They're the more prestigious ones but in my opinion these were the few companies I think I could work with. So do any seniors have experience applying for these. Overseas scholarships are hard to get I hear and well, I'm from TJ. Hardly anyone gets one of these scholarships; thus I'm wondering about a study loan.

So, I'm hoping someone could help me out on this!

feather
03-24-2011, 06:00 PM
physics

Imperial college london
ucl
durham
manchester
warwick

miyavvii
03-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Hi,

I am a poly student who has just received a conditional from imperial college.
They required me to submit an equivalent English qualification to them, before changing my offer to unconditional.

I was wondering if my o level's English is counted ? thanks

SCSC
03-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Hi,

I am a poly student who has just received a conditional from imperial college.
They required me to submit an equivalent English qualification to them, before changing my offer to unconditional.

I was wondering if my o level's English is counted ? thanks

Yes, your GCE `O' English Language is counted. UK Border Authority requires the minimum requirement of a pass in English at `O'level for all prospective international students. No worries, you meet the requirement.

catjedi
03-25-2011, 08:38 PM
University of Leeds: Law
University of Leicester: Law
University of Southampton: Accounting & Finance

pastelclouds
03-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Law

University of Southampton: Conditional
University of Warwick: Conditional + English Test
University of Birmingham: Conditional

miyavvii
03-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi there,

A quick question.

I have received an conditional offer from imperial college.

Am I required to submit my results to them for verification?
By hard or soft copy ? Is it true that once they have verify, they will change my offer to unconditional ?

I am unsure of this. Hope you could help.
Thanks

propatriamori
03-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Hi there,

A quick question.

I have received an conditional offer from imperial college.

Am I required to submit my results to them for verification?
By hard or soft copy ? Is it true that once they have verify, they will change my offer to unconditional ?

I am unsure of this. Hope you could help.
Thanks

If I am not mistaken, they should have been notified upon the release of your results (I am assuming you mean your A's) and will change the offer accordingly. You are not normally required to send anything in as they should have access to your results online. You just have to bring all your certs during enrolment. However this varies from school to school, so just shoot them a mail to check.

itwk
03-29-2011, 04:06 PM
physics

Imperial college london
ucl
durham
manchester
warwick

Economics:

LSE
UCL
Durham
Edinburgh
Warwick

Note the similarities :D

miyavvii
03-29-2011, 05:08 PM
If I am not mistaken, they should have been notified upon the release of your results (I am assuming you mean your A's) and will change the offer accordingly. You are not normally required to send anything in as they should have access to your results online. You just have to bring all your certs during enrolment. However this varies from school to school, so just shoot them a mail to check.

Hi there,

I am actually from poly haha. Thus, I am unsure of the necessary procedure. Nonetheless, thanks for your help.

propatriamori
03-29-2011, 11:48 PM
Hi there,

I am actually from poly haha. Thus, I am unsure of the necessary procedure. Nonetheless, thanks for your help.

In that case, I do believe you have to send in your results before they will change the terms of the offer! My friend who was studying in poly had to send in all the necessary certificates.

adamlaw
03-30-2011, 05:52 AM
Just firmed an unconditional offer to read Law at King's College London. :D

eho
03-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Just firmed an unconditional offer to read Law at King's College London. :D

Congrats! :D

adamlaw
03-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Congrats! :D

Hey thanks! Now I just need to decide between King's Law or SMU Law. :confused:

Where are you headed? :)

eho
03-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Hey thanks! Now I just need to decide between King's Law or SMU Law. :confused:

Where are you headed? :)

heading to UCL :)

adamlaw
03-31-2011, 08:46 AM
heading to UCL :)

Niicceee :cool:

jan
04-01-2011, 08:58 PM
SMU law is not very good as their first batch hasnt graduated yet... i think KCL has more brand name and UK is ideal for law... and practically, employers do place weight on the brand name

Irenicis
04-10-2011, 12:48 PM
everyone,

i've got a question here. Let's say i get offers from both LSE and UCL for economics. Which one would be a better choice overall (not just considering the prestige of the course etc)? Thanks.

eho
04-10-2011, 05:30 PM
everyone,

i've got a question here. Let's say i get offers from both LSE and UCL for economics. Which one would be a better choice overall (not just considering the prestige of the course etc)? Thanks.

Honestly speaking, there's not much of a big difference between both! Both are very well received internationally and known for their strength in economics programmes.

Overall, LSE has a slight edge because of its traditional reputation but of recent UCL has caught up pretty quickly in terms of rankings, even overtaking LSE by some measures. You might also want to note that LSE has been sliding down rankings in recent years. LSE has better employment prospects from what I understand but lacks in teaching quality due to their stronger emphasis on postgrad students. If you're not a very independent and strong learner, UCL might be better for you. UCL has better teaching quality and support. LSE students are thus known to have a poorer social/campus life than UCL students because LSE campus is small because it's a specialised school rather than a full-fledged multi-disciplinary university.

Hope this helps! :)

joofei
04-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Hi people ! I received offers from York, Bristol, Warwick and St Andrews to study Master in Chemistry. Appreciate if anyone knows of any scholarship that send students to these institutions. Thanks in advance :D

Irenicis
04-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Honestly speaking, there's not much of a big difference between both! Both are very well received internationally and known for their strength in economics programmes.

Overall, LSE has a slight edge because of its traditional reputation but of recent UCL has caught up pretty quickly in terms of rankings, even overtaking LSE by some measures. You might also want to note that LSE has been sliding down rankings in recent years. LSE has better employment prospects from what I understand but lacks in teaching quality due to their stronger emphasis on postgrad students. If you're not a very independent and strong learner, UCL might be better for you. UCL has better teaching quality and support. LSE students are thus known to have a poorer social/campus life than UCL students because LSE campus is small because it's a specialised school rather than a full-fledged multi-disciplinary university.

Hope this helps! :)

yup that helps alot!

and you're in which school may i know? (can be others)

eho
04-10-2011, 11:07 PM
yup that helps alot!

and you're in which school may i know? (can be others)

haha I'm entering UCL this sep :)

shadowboxing
04-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Here are mine.

UCL Neuroscience - Conditional (Conditions Met)
Edinburgh Neuroscience - Unconditional to Year 2
Manchester Neuroscience - Conditional (Conditions Met)
Nottingham Neuroscience - Conditional (Conditions Met)

Haven't heard from KCL for Neuroscience. Should I still hear from them though, I'd be insuring, after firming UCL.

xxx789632145
04-22-2011, 10:17 PM
In a nutshell for me...

going to cambridge this year?

xxx789632145
04-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Law at Oriel College, Oxford: Conditional
Law at KCL: Conditional
law at oxford. thats cool

Bosty
04-22-2011, 11:36 PM
Medicine:

Edinburgh - Unsuccessful
Leeds - unsuccessful
Manchester - Conditional
Aberdeen - Conditional (firm)

I guess the interviews for the last 2 helped, cause the first 2 don't have interviews haha.

xxx789632145
04-23-2011, 12:13 PM
but i heard that med at uk is quite expensive, right?

Bosty
04-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Yeap, studying overseas in any case is expensive. Medicine being the most expensive. But different medical schools have varying cost too

I'm not from an awfully well-to-do family. But im glad my parents are willing to support my passion.

xxx789632145
04-24-2011, 10:01 AM
yup,parents' support is most important thing!

gamer
05-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Imperial College London, aeronautical engineering, point of entry 2
Manchester, aerospace engineering, point of entry 2

cardio
05-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Barts and The London SMD, Queen Mary University, Sept 2011
Manchester Medical School, Sept 2011

Bosty
05-25-2011, 03:31 AM
Barts and The London SMD, Queen Mary University, Sept 2011
Manchester Medical School, Sept 2011

So which u accepted?

xxx789632145
05-27-2011, 11:24 PM
any more offers?

shlee
10-28-2011, 09:15 PM
any more offers?

Just got an offer from warwick to study eocns!! :)

teddynuts
10-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Just got an offer from warwick to study eocns!! :)

What sch u from? :)

shlee
10-30-2011, 12:32 AM
What sch u from? :)

AJC. took my A lvls last yr In NS now.. u?

teddynuts
10-30-2011, 11:20 AM
AJC. took my A lvls last yr In NS now.. u?

HC :) I see...am in JC 2 now...got Comp Sci offer

teddy890
12-09-2011, 01:44 AM
LSE Econs Unconditional!

Irenicis
12-09-2011, 07:33 PM
LSE Econs Unconditional!

wow when did you get it?

i'm waiting for mine too...:(

iceman
12-09-2011, 08:31 PM
LSE Econs Unconditional!

WOW Congrats! When did you send in your application?

teddy890
12-09-2011, 11:46 PM
I got it on 6 december. Sent it somewhere 20 sept. if im not wrong

Irenicis
12-10-2011, 12:00 AM

oh dear...i sent it in earlier and have yet to get anything from LSE.

Me being passed over already? hopefully it's because more people are applying econs haha

teddy890
12-10-2011, 12:03 AM
haha dont worry. its still pretty early in the admission process..and yes there are tons of people applying for lse econs.

iceman
12-10-2011, 01:01 AM

ah ok thanks for the reply. Are you enrolling in 2012 or defering?

teddy890
12-10-2011, 01:16 AM
ah ok thanks for the reply. Are you enrolling in 2012 or defering?
defering to 2013..long way to go in the army. =(

iceman
12-10-2011, 09:13 AM
defering to 2013..long way to go in the army. =(

Haha... I'm enrolling in 2012... Sent my application in mid oct so i guess its gonna be a while before i hear anything :s

Irenicis
12-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Haha... I'm enrolling in 2012... Sent my application in mid oct so i guess its gonna be a while before i hear anything :s

hmm so nervous ha =/

iceman
12-10-2011, 09:37 AM
hmm so nervous ha =/

Haha fellow lse applicant i see... when did u send in ur apps? And are u enrolling in 2012?

Irenicis
12-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Haha fellow lse applicant i see... when did u send in ur apps? And are u enrolling in 2012?

yes, i sent my application around 14 sept. enrolling 2012

Ernie
01-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Anyone going to Cardiff, Wales?

Poly grad here doing med there in 2012 =)

trapped
01-01-2012, 11:33 PM
waiting for warwick and manchester law. has anyone gotten a law offer from them yet?

divya
01-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Hi, I recently applied for UK universities ( LSE, UCL, ICL) and I haven't gotten any reply about my application yet. It has been almost 3 weeks since I applied. Should I be concerned?

Also, my predicted grades are quite bad and I miss few the cut offs of few courses. If my A level grades turn out to be good, how can I make changes to my UCAS application??

trapped
01-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Finally received an unconditional offer for law from Manchester :)

Introverted.
01-26-2012, 04:53 PM
i received a conditional from edinburgh for electronic and software engineering, in the offer letter on UCAS it states

For tuition fee purposes we regard you as

Overseas/International (Non EU-EEA). GCE A-Levels at AAB in

one examination diet, including Maths. Please provide a

copy of your O-level English certificate. This offer is

based on information provided in your application. All

subjects must be University approved subjects and taken in

2011/12 examination diet.
this is confusing, perhaps they just want to see my transcripts but what does that last line mean? ._.

Bosty
01-30-2012, 04:53 AM
i received a conditional from edinburgh for electronic and software engineering, in the offer letter on UCAS it states

this is confusing, perhaps they just want to see my transcripts but what does that last line mean? ._.

You would probably receive an email soon request for a scanned copy of ur grades.

PureFitness
01-30-2012, 08:12 PM
university approved = core subjects like geography, physics, biology etc. and not fluffy ones like music, management, history of art etc.

one examination diet = pass all your subjects at one sitting

Not really relevant to Introverted but I'll just clarify this point in case any one else might be affected by this. Some schools do consider music and history of art as approved subjects, eg LSE and UCL.

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howtoapply/lseentryrequirements.aspx
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-study/application-and-entry/alevel-qualifications/

Also, for some schools, whether a subject is approved is also dependent on which course you are applying to.

Introverted.
02-01-2012, 11:32 PM
university approved = core subjects like geography, physics, biology etc. and not fluffy ones like music, management, history of art etc.

one examination diet = pass all your subjects at one sitting

but it says 2011/12 examination diet. i took my A's in 2009!

chromni
02-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Oxford, imperial and birmingham (conditional)
Materials engineering
ucl no reply though..

polar
02-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Hi Everyone, would like to share my joy:D

Conditional Offers from:

University of Edinburgh, point of entry level 3
University of Exeter, point of entry level 2
University of Essex, point of entry level 2

Still awaiting offers from University of Birmingham and Durham

zenron
02-29-2012, 07:25 PM
got offer for LSE this Sept. anyone else heading there too.

Spearmintz
03-05-2012, 05:15 PM
heading to imperial this sept, anyone else heading there?

detrf
03-06-2012, 11:11 AM
got offer for LSE this Sept. anyone else heading there too.

yup me! what subject are you doing?

chromni
03-06-2012, 11:45 AM
heading to imperial this sept, anyone else heading there?

I might be. For which major?

zenron
03-06-2012, 07:33 PM

MSc Media and communications! U??

Spearmintz
03-07-2012, 09:12 AM
I might be. For which major?

For physics =)

detrf
03-07-2012, 04:00 PM
MSc Media and communications! U??

economics. bsc, that is. have you decided on your accomadation?

zenron
03-08-2012, 01:14 AM
economics. bsc, that is. have you decided on your accomadation?

PMed you :D

pandapowerdx
03-13-2012, 07:15 PM

hey I have an LSE econs offer too...may I know if you are on scholarship?
the costs are quite hefty..

detrf
03-14-2012, 12:39 AM
hey I have an LSE econs offer too...may I know if you are on scholarship?
the costs are quite hefty..

i am applying for some, but will prob go there funded by my parents. i aim to work in the financial industry maybe in london so it isnt a good idea to go on a bonded scholarship. what about you?

wuxinlele
03-14-2012, 03:19 AM
I recieved 3 offers, Imperial, manchester,sheffield

I am poly graduate from temasek, aerospace electronics.

Currenly I have offers of Beng of Aerospace engineering from sheffield and manchester, a offer of Meng of Aeronautical engineering from imperial college. all are conditional offer.

I am willing to study in imperial but the condition of the offer is GPA 3.8 and above well my GPA is only 3.71

Do i still have a change to be enrolled?
I have heard the Imperial admin department is the one setting the entry requirement, but the interview(i complete a written interview, it is a theory question about a helicopter) is from the department of aeronautics.

I believe I had successfully pass the interview as i got this Imperial college conditional offer just two days after i return back my answer.

I just feel like the department of aeronautics accepted me, but the admin department is setting a very genarel requirement of GPA 3.8 where i am not met. May i know any of you or your friends encourter this issue before? How you deal with it, writting an appeal letter or something?

thanks for reading

Wurbly
03-15-2012, 01:12 AM
Received 3 offers for Law - Durham, Nottingham, Warwick

Torn between Dur/Notts for Law, advice anyone?

pandapowerdx
03-15-2012, 10:13 PM
i am applying for some, but will prob go there funded by my parents. i aim to work in the financial industry maybe in london so it isnt a good idea to go on a bonded scholarship. what about you?

hey my parents are sponsoring too...but I will be coming back to Singapore to work after my studies...don't intend to apply for scholarships...

haha btw it's hard to get scholarships without bond, good luck..cya in Sept!
If you are a guy, finished army?

Irenicis
03-15-2012, 10:29 PM
hey my parents are sponsoring too...but I will be coming back to Singapore to work after my studies...don't intend to apply for scholarships...

you going for LSE? I thought you have a UCL offer too?

pandapowerdx
03-16-2012, 09:01 PM
you going for LSE? I thought you have a UCL offer too?

Hi there, I am still deciding btw LSE and UCL...leaning towards LSE though..

detrf
03-17-2012, 03:22 PM

yup ive finished army which means i will definitely see you in sept. have i seen you around on tsr?

Irenicis
03-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Hi there, I am still deciding btw LSE and UCL...leaning towards LSE though..

Hahaha,

are you like everyone else camping at the 2012 applicant thread?

pandapowerdx
03-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Hahaha,

are you like everyone else camping at the 2012 applicant thread?

Haha I am on the TSR too, well not really camping...i got replies from all the unis i applied alr :)

nayrhaes
03-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Conditional offers for UCL medicine and ICL biomedical science! was wondering if there's anyone here who attended the interview for UCL this year!

Tarantulasarus
03-26-2012, 05:43 PM
i got into warwick a&f!

ahkaiz
05-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Hello all! I have recently been given offer to study in uni of manchester n uni college london for their master in chemical engineering. I'm confused which uni I should choose as ucl is a very prestigious uni, but its not popular for its chemical engineering, while manchester is a just a gd uni, but its specialised in its chemical engineering course. Still waiting for imperial college london reply!

acl
01-12-2013, 09:30 PM
anyone receives economics offers from lse/ucl?

lalabanana
01-16-2013, 11:34 AM
i applied to both ucl and lse, no news so far! but i've gotten conditional offers from edinburgh and warwick, all to do econs

pepsicap
01-17-2013, 09:54 PM
Unconditional offer for UCL chem engineering - 9 Jan 2013
Conditional offer for Imperial geophysics - 7 Nov 2012
(condition: send in certified true copies of certificates)
Unconditional offer for Oxford Engineering Science - 11 Jan 2013

waiting for 2 more offers from imperial i guess

SAMSUNGmobile
02-22-2013, 10:29 PM
conditional offer from imperial college aeronautical engineering (ATAS Requirement)

gaiaxle
02-24-2013, 09:47 AM
conditional offer from imperial college aeronautical engineering (ATAS Requirement)

Did you do the second round selection, which is the overseas "interview" application form?

SAMSUNGmobile
02-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Did you do the second round selection, which is the overseas "interview" application form?

yup i did .

gaiaxle
02-26-2013, 12:36 AM
yup i did .

when did u submitted?

SAMSUNGmobile
02-27-2013, 11:58 AM
when did u submitted?

quite long ago..around dec last year

gaiaxle
03-12-2013, 12:57 AM
quite long ago..around dec last year

what are the conditions?

Sorry for asking so many questions :/

SAMSUNGmobile
03-15-2013, 12:09 PM
what are the conditions?

Sorry for asking so many questions :/

mine was i have to mail them a hard copy of my poly results transcript. and other one is ATAS certification..its a pre-visa requisite

joprincesin
03-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Just received a conditional offer for Aeronautical Engineering at Imperial this morning! :D

redvelvetcupcakes
04-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Unconditional for Economics and International Economics in Uni of Nottingham.
Notts has a lower ranking than NUS/NTU in global rankings, but since they admit really few students (20) for this course, it feels quite prestigious.
Should i go or stay in Singapore given that i can get into pretty decent courses in Singapore as well....

crystalgerl
04-05-2013, 09:56 AM
I'm amused at how 90% of this thread is bombarded by either Law or Economics applicants to UCL and LSE. Have fun competing with each other guys. haha

ellie
04-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Anyone going to the University of Nottingham this September? :)

redvelvetcupcakes
04-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Anyone going to the University of Nottingham this September? :)

I MIGHT BE! what course are you going for!

ellie
04-23-2013, 11:49 PM
I MIGHT BE! what course are you going for!

Law. How about you? :) any of your friends intending to go notts? Mine are 99% staying local :/

redvelvetcupcakes
04-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Law. How about you? :) any of your friends intending to go notts? Mine are 99% staying local :/

NAHHH, none of them are applying to UK, or overseas for that matter.
I'm offered Economics and International Economics!
Sigh, its such a big decision to make! :(

ellie
04-24-2013, 11:11 AM
NAHHH, none of them are applying to UK, or overseas for that matter.
I'm offered Economics and International Economics!
Sigh, its such a big decision to make! :(

Haha i see, I know right :S I am also a bit afraid of going! But tell me what you decide in the end :)

Ergodicity
04-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Anybody econs at UCL?

amritsg
08-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Hey guys,

I am currently in my first year of NS. So I will be applying for entry in year 2015. So I wanted to ask the others who may have had a similar predicament. Did you click on the option to defer in your UCAS application or did you defer after receiving an offer ( thereby not selecting on the defer option in the UCAS application) ? Does this affect your chances?

Another thing, those who were offered place in Oxford, lse, ucl and kings, what were your h2 grades and your LNAT score (where applicable) like?

Thanks! :)

mishieru07
08-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Hey guys,

I am currently in my first year of NS. So I will be applying for entry in year 2015. So I wanted to ask the others who may have had a similar predicament. Did you click on the option to defer in your UCAS application or did you defer after receiving an offer ( thereby not selecting on the defer option in the UCAS application) ? Does this affect your chances?

Another thing, those who were offered place in Oxford, lse, ucl and kings, what were your h2 grades and your LNAT score (where applicable) like?

Thanks! :)

Choose the defer option. If you get an offer for entry that year and then request to defer, the universities may choose not to grant you deferment since you didn't specify you need a deferred offer from the start. Generally, deferred offers tend to be harder to get because unis need to be assured that you'll still be deserving of an offer in the next cycle, but they're not unheard of either.

I got into some of the schools you listed back in the 2010/ 2011 UCAS cycle. I had 4 H2 As but my offers only required 3 (I think Kings asks for 4 though?) My LNAT score was 26 I think (bearing in mind that the average has gone up over the years - in my year, it was something like 17/18 out of 42 but it's 20+ now I think)