PDA

View Full Version : NUS Faculty of Engineering

algoh
03-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Hi all

I would like to find out the ranking of the different fields of engineering in the NUS Engineering Faculty. Is Chemical Eng the best? And is Electrical and Computer Eng the place where students go when they couldnt qualify for the better ones?

Also, are the students in Engineering mostly PRCs and Indians?

Thanks!

LockT31W
03-22-2008, 01:01 PM
i can't tell what you really wanna do in life. let's answer that question first before we discuss what field of engineering you should go to :)

algoh
03-23-2008, 01:56 PM
currently i am deciding among mechanical, material science and electrical eng.

i like mechanical because it is about building things from scratch and enabling things to work. but some may say that girls are disadvantaged as it involves heavy work physically.

for materials, i feel that it's more towards chemistry (i prefer physics more), more theoretical and somewhat less exciting. and career prospects wise, it's basically R&D, isn't it?

as for electrical, i do not think i am proficient in it. however, i have applied for the DSTA scholarships and Electrical eng seems to be the one that offers the widest flexibility in job selections.

When asked about what i really wanna do in life, I would say as flexible and as different as possible, and definitely not just stuck in the R&D field. I'm interested in teaching as well, sadly, MOE does not offer scholarships for eng. I think the study of eng offers somewhat the same skills. it is just the knowledge that matters. but i don't really -exactly- know the career prospects that each field offers, even after reading up on them. i do hope to work in DSTA after graduation though.

thanks for the reply by the way :)

AvlynCriss
04-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Hmm....I'm in a bit of a dilemma here.

I already got an offer for double degree biz and econs in smu, but I'm also going to nus's double degree interview for biz and eng. Out of all the types of engineering I want to do chemical engineering.

Anyone out there can tell me more about chemical engineering? Like is it really as tough as people make it out to be?

ivxrzexc
05-09-2008, 12:00 AM
i've applied for NUS double degree: Engineering & Business Administration (Accountancy) and havent got any news (not even single degree offer) from NUS.

are interviews compulsory for admission to the double degree programmes? since i didnt receive any calls from nus so i'm nt sure if i still have a chance of entering the double degree programme. anyone here can enlighten me? thanks in advance. :D

AvlynCriss
05-09-2008, 12:04 PM
i've applied for NUS double degree: Engineering & Business Administration (Accountancy) and havent got any news (not even single degree offer) from NUS.

are interviews compulsory for admission to the double degree programmes? since i didnt receive any calls from nus so i'm nt sure if i still have a chance of entering the double degree programme. anyone here can enlighten me? thanks in advance. :D

You're in the same boat I am.

I applied for Business and Engineering, got the interview, but haven't got a word from them or a letter for even a single degree offer.

However, I heard that interviews are ongoing or just being concluded, and the letters should be out in this month - maybe around mid-may to end of may.

Skinzzz
05-09-2008, 09:34 PM
i applied to double degree (biz/chem eng) as well. juz got the admission letter today. but no news abt the biz scholarship which they interviewed me for... anyone hav any news on tt??

anyway i was too busy to apply for the uni lvl scholarship during the application period. anyone noe if its still possible for me to apply it maybe like nxt yr or nxt nxt yr???

AvlynCriss
05-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Just received offer from NUS for eng and biz through the joint acceptance website. Finally, I was getting worried they lost my application.:)

calcium_rot
05-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Just received offer from NUS for eng and biz through the joint acceptance website. Finally, I was getting worried they lost my application.:)

U mean u receive the online offer from NUS first before u got ur letter? I still haven received any letter nor any online offer. I am so worried.

AvlynCriss
05-21-2008, 12:52 PM
U mean u receive the online offer from NUS first before u got ur letter? I still haven received any letter nor any online offer. I am so worried.

I checked the online joint acceptance website because it's faster than checking the mail everyday, and nus sends their package rather late.

As long as you have not received a rejection letter, you're fine. It takes time to process all the applications, and sometimes, they are waiting for people to reject their offers and etc. Just hang in there. Quite a few people haven't got their offers.

ScK
05-22-2008, 12:29 AM
to skinzz..hmm u may try to do well in cca and academically n apply for the mid-term scholarship.. =)

calcium_rot
05-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Hi all,

who got into civil or common engrg? what grades did u all gt?

ultrapeanut!
07-02-2008, 12:13 PM
i got into industrial&systems engineering. anyone else?

nanachan
07-14-2008, 02:57 PM

im going industrial engin too haha.

melopolis
08-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Hmm...I'm interested in doing Environmental Engineering next year and would like to know more about it. Anyone has anything to share? (like...what you study, internship experience, etc)

angeline3772
03-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Actually, i am quite torn betw chem end and environ. eng. I dunno really understand both eng very well and cannot make a choice on what i wan to take in uni. Seeing my my friends all quite confirmed on what they wan to take, i really felt very troubled. can someone advise me on what this two courses is about??

Ashearo
03-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Actually, i am quite torn betw chem end and environ. eng. I dunno really understand both eng very well and cannot make a choice on what i wan to take in uni. Seeing my my friends all quite confirmed on what they wan to take, i really felt very troubled. can someone advise me on what this two courses is about??

I am not exactly very knowledgeable about these two, but I believe chemical engineering is geared towards the utilization of raw materials, converting them into products (old or new). Environmental engineering is about improving the environment, alternative energy and etc. Chemical engineering does the opposite of what Environmental engineering does. To a certain extent.

gambette
03-12-2009, 12:51 PM
do you need to get A for GP if you want to enter Chem or Environ engin

I got C for GP and B for pw fortunately my H1 and H2 are As

should i apply

when should i appeal

KeNNet[H]
03-16-2009, 10:21 AM
in my opinion electrical engineering has more flexibility.. but for engineering students, it should be quite flexible for alot of jobs. regardless of what type of engineer you are.

longstriving
04-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Hi,
I applied for ise this year and i not very sure whether i can get in. What results minimum do you think i shud get in order to get into the course? Thank you!

nanachan
04-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi,
I applied for ise this year and i not very sure whether i can get in. What results minimum do you think i shud get in order to get into the course? Thank you!

what are your grades? you need at least 3 As to get in.

longstriving
04-21-2009, 05:05 PM
what are your grades? you need at least 3 As to get in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 h2 A for PCME. B for PW and E for GP. I'm afraid that my GP wun make it.

val_17
04-23-2009, 11:24 AM
hi

would like to ask if anyone has gotten a letter of acceptance for nus chem eng?

mg90
04-23-2009, 05:12 PM
hey, anyone got an offer for Computer Science/Engg yet ???

xchroma
04-23-2009, 10:22 PM
hi

would like to ask if anyone has gotten a letter of acceptance for nus chem eng?

hey! ... i've been waiting for a letter from nus chem engineering too! have you checked the joint acceptance portal?? i've checked mine but it denied me entry so i guess i've not been accepted yet?? good luck to you anyway!

zeifel
04-24-2009, 12:41 PM
[update]

Yo, I just received the offer from the NUS mech eng this evening. Perhaps inspiring mech engineers here might want to check out the offer through JA, because when I login into the NUS application check, it still shows 'Application processing' :p so I guess the JA website is more updated, haha. Cheers! ;)

val_17
04-24-2009, 04:17 PM
hey! ... i've been waiting for a letter from nus chem engineering too! have you checked the joint acceptance portal?? i've checked mine but it denied me entry so i guess i've not been accepted yet?? good luck to you anyway!

the same happened when i tried to sign in. perhaps they're still processing the applications..i've also filled in the discrestionary admission part..unknowingly thou..will that penalise my chances or anything?

melopolis
04-24-2009, 06:46 PM
the same happened when i tried to sign in. perhaps they're still processing the applications..i've also filled in the discrestionary admission part..unknowingly thou..will that penalise my chances or anything?

Same here. The discretionary admission is supposed to increase your chance, not penalize it >_<. Has anyone got any call for double degree interview?

xchroma
04-25-2009, 11:06 PM

hahas... i filed the discretionary admission part too! i just received my offer when i checked the JA today! so maybe you want to check your JA too?? its faster than Mr. mailman! hahas good luck!

val_17
04-27-2009, 11:55 AM
hahas... i filed the discretionary admission part too! i just received my offer when i checked the JA today! so maybe you want to check your JA too?? its faster than Mr. mailman! hahas good luck!

heyy. congrats for that! i've also received the offer when i checked the JA just now. cool.:)

class10808
04-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Just received offer from chem engineering too.. sadly no double deg.. however I got only 2 h2 As

kurashi
04-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Just received offer from chem engineering too.. sadly no double deg.. however I got only 2 h2 As

haha.. same here.. me from poly. ;)

kura
04-29-2009, 09:00 PM
hey, anyone got an offer for Computer Science/Engg yet ???

I have the same question as you.

zeifel
04-29-2009, 10:14 PM
@ mg90 & kura

2 of my friends receive their Comp Sci (one even got the Comp Sci + Biz DDP) offer this morning through JA. I guess your offers should be just around the corner :)

spotty161
05-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Hi all,
i got accepted into industrial and systems eng. but im not too sure about what its like and the career prospects. it also seems very broad based. anyone help me with this?

mg90
05-01-2009, 03:03 PM
hey,
i also got in for the Engineering & Business Adm DDP, just got the offer yesterday :D
gd luck to all those still waiting for their offers :)

twentythree
05-01-2009, 03:08 PM
hey spotty161, got a friend in the same program, biz + ise ddp. drop me a msg and i will pass along his email, he be happy to share.

ec_09
05-02-2009, 12:50 AM
Hi all,
i got accepted into industrial and systems eng. but im not too sure about what its like and the career prospects. it also seems very broad based. anyone help me with this?

I've got accepted to ise too. I looked at the modules which i find it differing a lot from other engineering courses. Its very unspecific in the course of study, is that an advantage or disadvantage or both? Till this point, the people around me seems to be discouraging me to go into this course. Im in a dilemma :( anyone kindly give some advice?

ec_09
05-02-2009, 01:15 AM
For a person who likes physics and mathematics. And a little bit of chemistry. Is it better for one to choose industrial and system engineering or chemical engineering?

lucastan
05-05-2009, 02:54 AM
hi ppl,

i just completed ise year 1... just to share with u ppl a few things about ise... yes its true ise is broad based... this can be a good thing cos it is versatile... grads get employed in finance areas, supply chain (UPS, keppel, even hospitals delivery and management), logistic areas...

i took my first ie module in yr 1 and its very econs related.wad i learn there is useful.... it teaches you about taxes depreciation, and project decision making.... later on in the course you will learn a lot of stats, maths, and computing for modeling of problems.... i would say its quite related to "decision science" in business..

physic and chemistry is only needed in yr 1 foundation engineering modules...

but i need to warn u that the ppl in ise are very smart... we have a lot of scholars and foreigners in the course... they are usually very hard workin + intelligent... tt might not be a good things cos the bell curve becomes very steep... a few marks before average and u face a possibility of screwing up.... u all will noe when u enter NUS....

but nonetheless competition is everyting.. esp in NUS.... so its boils down to what u really want in choosing your course... ya good luck...

jimjoker1
05-05-2009, 09:32 AM
anyone got offer of acceptance from NUS Bioengineering ? kindly also state your grades... cheers

kura
05-06-2009, 09:40 PM
@ mg90 & kura

2 of my friends receive their Comp Sci (one even got the Comp Sci + Biz DDP) offer this morning through JA. I guess your offers should be just around the corner :)

Wow. What are their grades like?

zeifel
05-07-2009, 12:14 AM
one got AAA/A, PW A and HMT A2. The DDP guy.
the other AAB/B, PW B and HMT B3.

you haven't gotten your offer yet? :confused:

kura
05-07-2009, 10:53 PM
one got AAA/A, PW A and HMT A2. The DDP guy.
the other AAB/B, PW B and HMT B3.

you haven't gotten your offer yet? :confused:
Wow. Their grades are good. No, I haven't got my offer yet.

kbarre
05-08-2009, 07:06 PM
hmm.

just checked the joint portal...and i got into chem engrg.

but i just wanna ask....can i still apply for an Engrg + Biz ddp now?

ttdtcs
05-08-2009, 07:41 PM
anyone got offer of acceptance from NUS Bioengineering ? kindly also state your grades... cheers

i got an offer from nus

my grades are AAAD
B for GP
A for PW
C for MT

in actual fact i am starting to doubt if bioengin is the right choice for me. i have heard people say that the degree is neither here nor there. It is not a pure engineering course nor a science course. could anyone help me with more details regarding the prospects of the course?

melopolis
05-09-2009, 10:36 AM
in actual fact i am starting to doubt if bioengin is the right choice for me. i have heard people say that the degree is neither here nor there. It is not a pure engineering course nor a science course. could anyone help me with more details regarding the prospects of the course?

OK, contrary to somewhat popular belief, bioengin is NOT about:
- stem cell research
- DNA/molecular bio
(there might be some related components but not very major I guess)
Bioengin is an engineering that helps facilitate improvements in the medical/healthcare field, which deals with:
- machines such as MRI, CT Scan, radiation treatments, etc
- prosthetic limbs
- robot surgeon
- lab equipments
and things like that, so basically it's just applying principles of biology in engineering the equipments and applying principles of engineering (by providing supporting equipments that will actually help) in the biomedical fields

Hope you get that clear, and please do ask your bioengin seniors (preferrably those in year 3 or so who have been through most of the stuff)

redcurrant
05-09-2009, 02:04 PM
i just received an offer from chem eng. are there any seniors from nus here from chem eng? can share ur opinions about the course? because i'm torn between nus chem eng and ntu sports science and management.

mg90
05-09-2009, 04:32 PM
hmm.

just checked the joint portal...and i got into chem engrg.

but i just wanna ask....can i still apply for an Engrg + Biz ddp now?

hi, i think u can
i got in Eng + Biz DDP, and here's what the Biz Dept wrote to me in one of their emails..
"PS If you have friends with excellent results (e.g. already accepted to other superior programs), who wish to be considered even though they haven’t applied to us, we would be glad to help appeal for NUS Admissions on their behalves. Please just ask them to contact Helen at [email protected] "
hope it helps :)

kbarre
05-09-2009, 06:37 PM
wahahaaa!

are you serious??? it's like an offer on a silver platter.

thanks alot, i'll try emailing her.

but their offer sounds a little desperate for ppl to apply to ddp. is it because it's unpopular or what?

nanabanana
05-11-2009, 02:38 PM
hi, ive got a friend who got admitted into MSE.
Is that a good course? cuz she told me that she might not accept it cuz job prospects aren't that good.

any ideas anyone?

mg90
05-12-2009, 01:01 PM
wahahaaa!

are you serious??? it's like an offer on a silver platter.

thanks alot, i'll try emailing her.

but their offer sounds a little desperate for ppl to apply to ddp. is it because it's unpopular or what?

i know it sounds a little desperate but i think its just that the Biz dept wants to leave no good student out, so they r trying to reach as many ppl as possible..In any case i dun think DDP is unpopular, its just that it takes 5 years to complete and is more rigorous than a single degree. Personally i like the DDP program and its contents and it will also improve my job prospects in future.

kbarre
05-12-2009, 08:03 PM
hey, how strange. i sent an email as recommended by you, but apparently, she can't do anything at all!

she cc-ed my email request to the OAM, which clarified that i've to follow everybody else in appealing at the end of may. ddp-wannabes can't just quote her name and appeal through the backdoor channel.

so yea.... :(. though her offer is well-intentioned, she can't help as much as she has promised.

loststudent
05-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Hi, I'm thinking of appealing to industrial and systems engineering. What are the chances of succeeding? Does anyone know or care to share more about it? Does it have a huge emphasis on maths and econs?

illusions
05-13-2009, 01:17 AM
hey. I got into econs and engineering ddp. Was wondering if any1 can tell me more abt electrical eng cause that was my first eng choice. Also, am i allowed to change that now?

nanabanana
05-13-2009, 09:32 AM
hi guys,
Who has any ideas if Material Science engineering would give good job prospects?

i need to know this please :(

thank you!

lucastan
05-13-2009, 11:28 AM
hi ppl,

i just completed ise year 1... just to share with u ppl a few things about ise... yes its true ise is broad based... this can be a good thing cos it is versatile... grads get employed in finance areas, supply chain (UPS, keppel, even hospitals delivery and management), logistic areas...

i took my first ie module in yr 1 and its very econs related.wad i learn there is useful.... it teaches you about taxes depreciation, and project decision making.... later on in the course you will learn a lot of stats, maths, and computing for modeling of problems.... i would say its quite related to "decision science" in business..

physic and chemistry is only needed in yr 1 foundation engineering modules...

but i need to warn u that the ppl in ise are very smart... we have a lot of scholars and foreigners in the course... they are usually very hard workin + intelligent... tt might not be a good things cos the bell curve becomes very steep... a few marks before average and u face a possibility of screwing up.... u all will noe when u enter NUS....

but nonetheless competition is everyting.. esp in NUS.... so its boils down to what u really want in choosing your course... ya good luck...

hi... refer to the above

skizzer
05-13-2009, 01:55 PM
hey anyone with eng + biz/biz acc (it doesnt matter, they are quite similar) ddp? any seniors mind sharing how does it feel like to take this ddp?

also one more thing, if we take up ddp with engineering as one of the degree, does tat mean tat we can only major in the specific field of engineering like mse, ise, ce in the second year?

thx for your help =)

mg90
05-13-2009, 03:26 PM
@ kbarre
i thought sumthing like that wud happen, but it was worth a try...anyways dont giv up hope...email the dean of Biz wen u r appealing, maybe it wud help..Good Luck :)

@Skizzer
yes, i guess so, u ll be assigned to a particular eng dept which shud probably be ur top Eng choice that u filled in the single degree section of ur application. Example, i filled in Comp Eng as my top choice for single degree and so in my DDP i ll study Comp Eng n Biz. And Comp Eng will also be called my home course(main course) in DDP Terminology, look at these links for more info -
-http://www.nus.edu.sg/prog/engbiz/programU08(Hons).html
-http://www.nus.edu.sg/registrar/faqs/ddp_cdp_dm.html#ddp07

skizzer
05-13-2009, 07:05 PM
thx dude, eh but mine is a special case, lol my first choice is the general engineering science =) haha, didnt noe wat to choose at tat time, izit possible to appeal for my engineering science to become sthl ike chem engineering? at this point of time?

Jozegal
05-14-2009, 01:33 AM
Hi, I'm also offered econs n engineering double with fass as my home course. I believe it's because I ranked my choices as follows, fass, biz, ise, environ eng. I want to specialize in ise from the first year, yet ise is nowhere to be mentioned in the admission package and all of the forms. Any idea when I'll get to explicitly state my preference to take econs and ise?

loststudent
05-14-2009, 09:01 AM
How about the labwork in ise? Is it mainly about computers and simulation or otherwise? Do the assessments have a greater emphasis of exams or labwork? Or otherwise?

Also, I heard that the drop out rate for double degree is very high? Is this true? Is the workload very heavy that another degree cannot be achieved under most circumstances?

skizzer
05-14-2009, 09:39 AM
i just called nus, they say to chng for common engiieering to wat ever eng tat u wan, follow the appeal process. screwed =)

and to sustain ddp ur gpa muz be at least 4.0, not easy at all.. omg la howhowhow

kbarre
05-14-2009, 06:59 PM
dun worry too much....if you're forced out of ddp, then at least you know that you've tried it out in the first place!

anyway, i was wondering: what're the total fees like for ddp? do i just add up Biz($6540) + Engrg ($6360)?

skizzer
05-14-2009, 09:00 PM
dun worry too much....if you're forced out of ddp, then at least you know that you've tried it out in the first place!

anyway, i was wondering: what're the total fees like for ddp? do i just add up Biz($6540) + Engrg ($6360)?

no u pay for the more expensive degree course fees, in ur case will be biz.. tats wat i heard, not very sure though

jimjoker1
05-20-2009, 12:00 AM
Are all BEng degrees in NUS 4-yr direct honours degree just like NTU 4-yr direct honours degree?
i understand that the NUS Arts & Sciences degrees are 3yr pass degrees, with the 4th honours year subject to performance & recommendation before you can move up.

roxysquare88
05-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Hello people! :) I am quite excited about returning back to school, after 2 years of NS. I have accepted the offer to read Industrial and Systems Engineering at NUS, matriculating this year AY2009/2010.

I am just wondering, is there anyone who is also going to read ISE this year? Maybe we can get to know one another more before school starts? Haha!

I was told that there are many foreign students in ISE. Is this true?

Actually, this is not an issue. ISE seniors, do locals tend to stick together? I hope there is a lot of interaction, even with the foreign students. Like that then more fun, can learn more ma..., like our Singlish.

Do ISE students club? LoL. Hope to find some party-chiongers there.

Jozegal
05-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Hey ppl, I'm considering to appeal for econs and ise ddp from my original econs and common eng ddp. I've pretty ideal results, wad do you think are my chances? And wad other aspects do the admissions committee take into consideration for appeals?

Or can anyone provide advice about the pros and cons of taking common eng in the first year as compared to a specialized eng like ise?

nanachan
05-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Hello people! :) I am quite excited about returning back to school, after 2 years of NS. I have accepted the offer to read Industrial and Systems Engineering at NUS, matriculating this year AY2009/2010.

I am just wondering, is there anyone who is also going to read ISE this year? Maybe we can get to know one another more before school starts? Haha!

I was told that there are many foreign students in ISE. Is this true?

Actually, this is not an issue. ISE seniors, do locals tend to stick together? I hope there is a lot of interaction, even with the foreign students. Like that then more fun, can learn more ma..., like our Singlish.

Do ISE students club? LoL. Hope to find some party-chiongers there.

those who are entering engin this yr, it would be a good idea to join engin camp and get to know some people before school starts! speaking from experience haha..

nanachan
05-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Hey ppl, I'm considering to appeal for econs and ise ddp from my original econs and common eng ddp. I've pretty ideal results, wad do you think are my chances? And wad other aspects do the admissions committee take into consideration for appeals?

Or can anyone provide advice about the pros and cons of taking common eng in the first year as compared to a specialized eng like ise?

hmm, lets just say that it would be easier to transfer from ise to any other engin than to transfer from any other engin to ise..

i think ur chances of a successful appeal is low. usually the quota is already filled in the first intake, with only a few remaining spaces left for those streaming in from common engin. BUT, no harm trying. =)

seng
05-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Is engineering science good? Can someone kindly tell me about it's job prospects? Will really appreciate thx!!!

roxysquare88
05-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Hello people!! I apologise for being so random here :o Haha! I have applied to stay on-campus for my freshman year. I stay in the east (Siglap). In case I do not have enough CCA points to stay on-campus, I am just wondering:

What is the fastest way to get to Engin fac, in particular the ISE block?

I only know 1 way, i.e. take MRT and alight at Buona Vista, then take SBS bus 95. But is this the fastest way? :confused:

Edit:**By public transport**

nanachan
05-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Hello people!! I apologise for being so random here :o Haha! I have applied to stay on-campus for my freshman year. I stay in the east (Siglap). In case I do not have enough CCA points to stay on-campus, I am just wondering:

What is the fastest way to get to Engin fac, in particular the ISE block?

I only know 1 way, i.e. take MRT and alight at Buona Vista, then take SBS bus 95. But is this the fastest way? :confused:

Edit:**By public transport**

take to clementi mrt and take 96..96 has a high frequency.

somebodyy
08-30-2009, 01:09 AM
hello! would like to know? whats the proportion of china scholars/international students in nus engine? loll. are there many?

Freshjunior
10-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Does anyone have problems accessing NUS' mechanical engineering site? http://me.nus.edu.sg/ I always have errors saying that there is a problem loading page. Only happens with mech eng's site but not others :( Haiz cannot check out some info up there..

jimjoker1
10-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Is Bioengineering a very good course to take? Is the training very good? What are the propects like, in terms of career or further studies?

rongsquare
12-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Hi everyone, im a final year student in SP doing Aeronautical Engineering... i have several questions in mind, any kind souls willing to help me?

1) I referred to the webpage on NUS for the acceptable Diploma in specific courses and i saw this 'All Diplomas accredited for Engineering courses -- Engineering (Common) °'. i would like to comfirm my interpretation which is i can choose to enroll in first year common engineering program and then choose a specific area after that? like doing Material Science despite that my diploma only allows me to do Mech Eng?

2) Im interested in the DDP for BEng Material Science and Engineering,and BSc Physics. are poly students eligible for this program? is there any interview for it?

3) Assuming im a student under the engineering faculty, can i take up a minor that is offered by other faculties? like say Faculty of Science?is there a prerequisite to read a minor?

4) Are NTU bachelor degrees recognized by NUS? Im interested in the Masters in Applied Physics offered in NUS. because my dip does not allow me to do physics in NUS, but i can read BSc in Applied Physics in NTU. i understand that it is possible to do a Masters at differnet university but because the BSc in applied phyiscs in NTU is new, any idea is that accredited in NUS?

Pardon for any stupid questions asked, your reply is deeply appreciated. thanks :D

goldleaf
12-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Hi everyone, im a final year student in SP doing Aeronautical Engineering... i have several questions in mind, any kind souls willing to help me?

1) I referred to the webpage on NUS for the acceptable Diploma in specific courses and i saw this 'All Diplomas accredited for Engineering courses -- Engineering (Common) °'. i would like to comfirm my interpretation which is i can choose to enroll in first year common engineering program and then choose a specific area after that? like doing Material Science despite that my diploma only allows me to do Mech Eng?

2) Im interested in the DDP for BEng Material Science and Engineering,and BSc Physics. are poly students eligible for this program? is there any interview for it?

3) Assuming im a student under the engineering faculty, can i take up a minor that is offered by other faculties? like say Faculty of Science?is there a prerequisite to read a minor?

4) Are NTU bachelor degrees recognized by NUS? Im interested in the Masters in Applied Physics offered in NUS. because my dip does not allow me to do physics in NUS, but i can read BSc in Applied Physics in NTU. i understand that it is possible to do a Masters at differnet university but because the BSc in applied phyiscs in NTU is new, any idea is that accredited in NUS?

Pardon for any stupid questions asked, your reply is deeply appreciated. thanks :D

Hi. Yup students in common engineering choose specific areas after the first year. I heard that some of the engineering courses are harder to get into than others. Sorry I'm not sure about how these apply to students from poly, whether you'd get exemptions for example.

Hmm have you come across this: http://www.physics.nus.edu.sg/corporate/student/document/Phy-MSE-DDP.pdf

rongsquare
12-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Hi. Yup students in common engineering choose specific areas after the first year. I heard that some of the engineering courses are harder to get into than others. Sorry I'm not sure about how these apply to students from poly, whether you'd get exemptions for example.

Hmm have you come across this: http://www.physics.nus.edu.sg/corporate/student/document/Phy-MSE-DDP.pdf

hi thanks alot ... i haven't come across that page b4.. it does ans some of my doubts thanks alot

roxysquare88
01-01-2010, 01:29 PM
I know this is random.

Most of my Singaporean friends who read Engineering have expressed to me before that they find their course "boring" and they don't like it. It sometimes makes me wonder why they chose that in the first place.

Singapore, like many other countries, needs a huge number of engineers in the society for technological creations and developments. This is why the intake volume is high. However to be more precise, it is also because the turnover rate in the Engineering field is high. How many Singaporeans really appreciate Maths and Applied Physics, let alone applying them at work in the long run?

A word of advice to prospective students: Acknowledge your area of interest when choosing your course. Unless you really have an appreciation for Maths and Applied Physics, don't put yourself in Engineering faculty just because "my parents want me to become an Engineer" or because "Bachelor of Engineering is a professional degree."

It most likely won't get you anywhere far.

roxysquare88

The writer was an Engineering student at NUS, but had appealed to transfer out of Engineering after the first semester.

goldleaf
01-01-2010, 03:00 PM
@rongsquare: you're welcome, all the best!

@roxysquare88: hmm, this appreciation for maths and applied physics, could it possibly become an acquired taste? What I'm thinking is that not a lot of people are sure of their area of interest when choosing their course.. How should one tell if one sufficiently appreciates maths and applied physics before actually starting to learn at that level? Please advise.

smash
02-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Hi guys, just interested to know, comparing mechanical eng. and chemical eng. in NUS, which one is better? I mean in terms of the scope of job prospects in Singapore and entry standards.

What are the future job prospects of mechanical eng. grads?:D

Freshjunior
02-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Mechanical engineers have a wide-range of job prospects, as the skills they acquire are relevant in many areas.

The emerging technologies in biotechs, materials science and nanotechnology also creates many job opportunities for mechanical engineers.

Here is some helpful info you might need ;)

NUS specializations:
-aeronautical
-mechantronics
-automotive
- microsystems
-biomechanical
- offshore oil and gas
-energy and thermal process
- precision engineering
-materials engineering in design
- product design

NTU ME specializations:

-aeronautical
-manufacturing
-biomed
-energy and environment
-innovative design
-systems
- mechatronics and control
-marine and offshore

pandapowerdx
03-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi,
with a uni entrance score of 87.5, is it almost assured a place in NUS chem eng?

Freshjunior
03-08-2010, 06:25 PM
I think you will most probably get in. Some of my friends who got lower than 87.5 also got into chem eng.

pyrosphere
03-09-2010, 08:38 PM
hey, i plan to either put chem engineering or DDP eng + biz as my second choice, first choice being medicine haha... Hm, I didn't take physics at A level but i took it at O level, so if I get into chem engineering, what's the physics bridging course i have to take like? is it just 1 module for 1 semester or what? and any seniors taking DDP in eng+biz care to share how heavy the workload is and stress level or something? I can't seem to find much information abt the DDP in terms of personal opinion/experiences...

And lastly, how does the ranking system work? If I get into both medicine and chem eng but medicine is my first choice, does that mean i can't choose to go chem eng anymore?

Oh, and is there any interview for the DDP or is it purely through grades?

Thanks!!!

pyrosphere
03-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Oh, and for chemical engineering, must we take physics at A levels? becuz the website states that if u don't take physics at the A level we have to take physics bridging courses, but then some engineering courses says that either chemistry OR physics is acceptable, but chemical engineering says chemistry AND physics...

So i was thinking is it to get chemical engineering u must take chemistry and physics, just that if u fail physics at A level u have to take bridging courses?

roxysquare88
03-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Oh, and for chemical engineering, must we take physics at A levels? becuz the website states that if u don't take physics at the A level we have to take physics bridging courses, but then some engineering courses says that either chemistry OR physics is acceptable, but chemical engineering says chemistry AND physics...

So i was thinking is it to get chemical engineering u must take chemistry and physics, just that if u fail physics at A level u have to take bridging courses?

Hi pyrosphere, around the same time last year I was just like you now, asking around for information. I took double degree in industrial systems engineering and business in semester 1 of the Academic Year 2009/2010.

Just like you, I don't have A level physics background, so I did the physics bridging modules. There was limited information about these physics bridging modules online so I was clueless all the way till I started school.

For my convenience in explaining, let us call the students (admitted into Engineering) without A level Physics the Physics "bridgers".

*Each academic year consists of 4 semesters - Semester 1 (18 weeks)
Semester 2 (17 weeks)
Semester 3 (about 4-5 weeks)
Semester 4 (about 4-5 weeks)

Semester 1 and 2 are standard school terms. Students who are enthusiastic can opt to study in Semester 3 and/or 4 too > additional school fee!

The recommended workload in each standard semester is 5 modules ("subjects"). Most students read only 5 modules per semester. One can choose to read more than 5 modules, subject to approval. Bridgers would have to take 2 compulsory physics bridging modules in Semester 1. A quick view of the workload in Sem 1:

1) Fundamentals of Physics I - PC1221
2) Fundamentals of Physics I - PC1222
3) Mathematics - MA1505
4) Programming Methodology - CS1101C
5) <Free slot to insert any module>

You mentioned that you intend to apply for Double Degree in Business as your second choice? If you enroll in that programme, the 5th module would then be a Business module. I took Principles of Marketing MKT1003 as the 5th subject. There is a recommended schedule as to what you should read. Just go with the recommended schedule and you will be on the right track.

Now for your awareness let us move on to talk about the mainstream Engineering students (who have A level Physics background). They would usually do a University-level Physics. In other words, instead of doing PC1221 and PC1222, they would be doing one higher-level Physics module and one engineering module.

1) PC1431 OR PC1432 OR MLE(XXXX) < I forgot the module code.
2) One engineering module
3) Mathematics - MA1505
4) Programming Methodology - CS1101C
5) <Free slot to insert any module>

Modules in red are engineering core modules.

Frequently-asked question: Would bridgers lag behind the mainstream engineering students, since they will read 2 Physics bridging modules in Sem 1 while others will read a higher-level modules?

Answer: Strictly speaking, yes, bridgers would lag behind the mainstream. However, it is possible to catch up eventually. (You may not understand what I am saying now, but eventually you will.)

Frequently-asked question: Where will the bridging modules be mapped to? Are they considered core modules?

Answer: Bridging modules of course, are not core modules since they are equivalent of A-level. They can be mapped to breadth modules. You can read anything using your breadth modules. You are required to read 8 breadth modules in your whole candidature. So, in a way, the 2 physics bridging modules would deprive you of 2 breadth modules since they are pre-allocated to you, not that you have a choice.

If you don't do well in both of them, you can exercise the option to S/U them. But bear in mind, you can only exercise your S/U options 3 times in your entire candidature. The purpose of S/U is to "hide" poorly-performed modules from the computation of CAP. They would still appear on your transcript, as either S (Satisfactory - if you pass the module) or U (Unsatisfactory - if you fail the module).

What I have explained above is mainly applicable to single-degree curriculum. Double degree curriculum is slightly more complicated. Let the rest contribute.

-----------------------
Wow. I have typed so much. That's all for now. It takes some time to be familiar with the NUS system. Speaking from experience, most information is actually available online at www.nus.edu.sg or this Brightspark forum itself. Both sources are highly useful, if you are patient enough. It is more likely that you will be flooded by the huge amount of information than not being able to find the answer to your question.

*Haha, will Brightspark present me with some token for complimenting?*

noname
03-14-2010, 02:51 PM
hi, i'm interested in taking NUS environmental engineering but i need some help..is it true that env eng in spore focuses on water treatment?and i heard some ppl saying that if u want to specialise in other areas such as waste management u need to take master's degree to be work-ready, cos the undergraduate programme equip u mostly for water treatment..i dunno whether it's true:S and how's the job demand for env engineer in spore?thx thx thx for replying me:))

hohoheha
03-16-2010, 09:03 PM
hey roxy

following up from ur post, can i just ask a few questions?

1. so those who dont offer physics at A levels only need to take 2 compulsory physics modules in their entire candidature?
2. are the physics bridging modules very tough compared to A levels physics? since i only have O level physics.
3. for the <free slot to insert any module> under those who didnt take A level physics, will filling that slot with another engineering core module conflict with the recommended schedule you mentioned?
4. in your opinion, how long roughly will it take for one to catch up with those who took A level physics?
5. is it possible to/have you heard of anyone who took a double major where one major is from Fac of Sci while the other major comes from Eng Fac?

Thanks a mil! :)

roxysquare88
03-17-2010, 03:12 PM
hey roxy

following up from ur post, can i just ask a few questions?

1. so those who dont offer physics at A levels only need to take 2 compulsory physics modules in their entire candidature?
2. are the physics bridging modules very tough compared to A levels physics? since i only have O level physics.
3. for the <free slot to insert any module> under those who didnt take A level physics, will filling that slot with another engineering core module conflict with the recommended schedule you mentioned?
4. in your opinion, how long roughly will it take for one to catch up with those who took A level physics?
5. is it possible to/have you heard of anyone who took a double major where one major is from Fac of Sci while the other major comes from Eng Fac?

Thanks a mil! :)

Yes, students who didn't read A level Physics only need to take 2 compulsory physics bridging modules - PC1221 and PC1222. Both modules must be taken in the very 1st semester of the candidature.

In terms of difficulty level, physics bridging modules are almost on par with A level physics.

In terms of the amount of content, the content of physics bridging modules (combined) is lesser than that of A level physics. There are certain topics that are covered in A level Physics but not in physics bridging.

(After all, A level physics is taught over a period of 2 years, while the physics bridging modules have to be completed within a period of 18 weeks - 1st semester.)

Each physics bridging module requires the following:

Lecture - 4 hours per week (2 lectures, each lecture is 2 hour long)
The second physics bridging module will mean 8 hours of lecture per week.

Practical - 3 hours
It depends on how you plan your timetable. Each physics bridging module has 5-6 practical sessions in total. If you fail to plan your timetable well, there will be certain weeks when you have 2 practical sessions (of the 2 bridging modules) in the same week, and on alternate week, nothing on. The same applies to the rostering of tutorials.

Most students will try to roster their schedule such that each week will have 1 practical and 1 tutorial.

Practical report writing - 2-3 hours

Tutorial - 1 hour

If I infer correctly, you are thinking of doing another engineering core module so that somehow you would be able to catch up with the mainstream engineering students by having 1 more engineering module completed in the first sem as compared to the mainstream students. Theoretically, this is possible. However, realistically speaking, the (additional) engineering core module will likely clash with your schedule. The 2 physics bridging modules will take up quite a lot of your time, such that you won't be able to insert any other module.

In addition, there are other things that you should consider:

- the 2 physics bridging modules can be quite heavy, for someone without A level physics. Are you sure that you want to do 1 more engineering module?

- most engineering CORE (in other words, foundation) modules require A level physics or physics bridging as pre-requisite. I think it is not a matter of whether you want or not, but a matter of whether you can or cannot in the first place, beside the timetable constraint.

It depends. You can choose to overload (meaning take an additional 6th module) from the 2nd semester onwards in an attempt to catch up with the rest. The maximum is 6 modules per semester.

Some bridgers might think of doing 1 or 2 engineering core modules during special semesters. However, whether or not the modules that they desire to take are offered during special semesters is another restriction.

A level physics / physics bridging modules are pre-requisites to most CORE (foundation) modules. And most CORE (foundation) modules are pre-requisites to modules of higher-level. It brings me back to the same point, that there is a limit as to how much you can do in the attempt to catch up, no matter how eager you are.

It depends on how you play the catching game. In my opinion, I think it is possible to catch up with the rest by the end of 3rd semester (meaning, by the end of 1st sem year 2). Some people might need a longer time, if they also have bridging course in English (for people who didn't do well for GP/KI and the poly grads) or in Mathematics (the poly grads in particular).

Yes, it is possible and I know of people who do 2 majors in Science and Engin. In general, it is possible to do any second major of your wish, no matter what home (primary) faculty which you are in (except that if you are in medicine, dentistry etc).

Milktea
03-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Hi,
I'm wondering what do environmental engineering students study? Eg: is the course very technical or math oriented? Coz I'm considering it now, but worried that my interest may fizzle out if it isn't what i expected it to be. Sorry if i sound very ill informed =p.
Need help urgently, Please advise!

OrangeMoon
03-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Some questions to ask.

1) If I choose Engineering (aka common engineering) in NUS, I know that for the 1st year, students will learn the common engineering modules. Then from 2nd year onwards, they will be required to choose their own specific engineering specialisation. Is it possible to go to Environmental Engineering from Y2 onwards? Because Env Eng requires AAA/A but I don't have, so by opting for Engineering and from Y2 onwards to go to Env Eng, do I need very good grades to enter or what?

2) Any Engineering Science students? Can anyone advise on the specialisation of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology which Eng Sci students will take from Y3 onwards?

Thanks.

luge23
03-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Some questions to ask.

1) If I choose Engineering (aka common engineering) in NUS, I know that for the 1st year, students will learn the common engineering modules. Then from 2nd year onwards, they will be required to choose their own specific engineering specialisation. Is it possible to go to Environmental Engineering from Y2 onwards? Because Env Eng requires AAA/A but I don't have, so by opting for Engineering and from Y2 onwards to go to Env Eng, do I need very good grades to enter or what?

2) Any Engineering Science students? Can anyone advise on the specialisation of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology which Eng Sci students will take from Y3 onwards?

Thanks.

for the 1st qns, you can choose Environ Eng, but the places are super limited so you have to do very very gd for ur 1st yr(i.e. getting a gd cap perhaps at least 4 and abv), after tt u have to make up for Environ Eng modules which you have missed out in your 1st yr....

v3ng3anc3z
04-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Anyone who are in this course / knows someone taking this course can tell me what actually is this course about? I only have a vague idea that it's about improving the systems in companies and stuff. (Sounds like business?)

And the career options if you take this course?

Thanks a lot! :D

Istvan
04-26-2010, 02:36 AM
In short, optimizing the performance and output of any system by applying a scientific and engineering approach. Generally, systems can be mechanical, electrical, social or financial etc.

Problem formulation, quantifying the problem, decision analysis under uncertainty, understanding the interdependencies between subsystems in a complex system, forecasting, simulation and abstract modeling are some of the things that we do. Visit www.ise.nus.edu.sg or google.

Note that Industrial Engineering and Systems Engineering are actually two distinct fields of engineering that have great common synergy. The undergraduate course in NUS puts them together and aims to train engineer-leaders able to work in very diverse fields.

Competitive course to get in, coursework is extremely tough. 2nd in average salary within FoE for last graduate employment survey, 1st for the two surveys before that.

Anyone who are in this course / knows someone taking this course can tell me what actually is this course about? I only have a vague idea that it's about improving the systems in companies and stuff. (Sounds like business?)

And the career options if you take this course?

Thanks a lot! :D

enruiwe
04-29-2010, 11:26 PM
In short, optimizing the performance and output of any system by applying a scientific and engineering approach. Generally, systems can be mechanical, electrical, social or financial etc.

Problem formulation, quantifying the problem, decision analysis under uncertainty, understanding the interdependencies between subsystems in a complex system, forecasting, simulation and abstract modeling are some of the things that we do. Visit www.ise.nus.edu.sg or google.

Note that Industrial Engineering and Systems Engineering are actually two distinct fields of engineering that have great common synergy. The undergraduate course in NUS puts them together and aims to train engineer-leaders able to work in very diverse fields.

Competitive course to get in, coursework is extremely tough. 2nd in average salary within FoE for last graduate employment survey, 1st for the two surveys before that.

So i concur that it is something like resource management?
Is there high market demand for such profession?

And also another point i am curious: the top in engineering salary last year... is it chemical engineering?

Istvan
04-29-2010, 11:50 PM
So i concur that it is something like resource management?
Is there high market demand for such profession?

And also another point i am curious: the top in engineering salary last year... is it chemical engineering?

My honest opinion is that you try to google all the NUS employment surveys, and terms like: Industrial engineering, systems engineering, operations research or even try to find out the basics about Engineering. After all it might be your future so you don't want to just hear from me. :cool:

Try to see for yourself and decide if it's the course for ya. I'll be around for further questions.

June
05-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Hi seniors, your answers have been very useful =) I have some questions which I need your help or advice.

I went for my other choice test and interview already and i got an email a few days ago to go for an interview for common engineering under discretionary section. I dont have any marvelous achievements and i'm not sure what i have to prepare.. it seems like i am incompetitive compared to others who have unique qualities.. is there anything else they look out for? Or rather what do they usually look out for?

Also, does it mean that i am already out of the option for my previous interview? and what about those choices without interviews? How does the school select n give u an offer eventually?

Really grateful if anyone could help me with my questions. Thank you. =)

Istvan
05-03-2010, 01:58 AM
Hi seniors, your answers have been very useful =) I have some questions which I need your help or advice.

I went for my other choice test and interview already and i got an email a few days ago to go for an interview for common engineering under discretionary section. I dont have any marvelous achievements and i'm not sure what i have to prepare.. it seems like i am incompetitive compared to others who have unique qualities.. is there anything else they look out for? Or rather what do they usually look out for?

Also, does it mean that i am already out of the option for my previous interview? and what about those choices without interviews? How does the school select n give u an offer eventually?

Really grateful if anyone could help me with my questions. Thank you. =)

I cannot give you specifics or pretend to be familiar with the discretionary admission procedure.

However, as with interviews in general, there are
a) Things that cannot be changed in the short-run (how well you are in conversing- it's a true art, how knowledgeable you are in current affairs, your opinions about things etc.)
b) Things you can prepare for (What is engineering? What makes you different from other applicants? Why do you deserve a place? Do you think engineering is a boring discipline? What are your career goals?)

You can focus on the latter, the specific preparation for this interview. No one can help you with conversing and handling interview questions better, in the short-run. It is better to be sincere than to be busted when lying.

All the best!

June
05-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Hi, thanks for the well wishes and advice =) i have another question.. does it mean that i'm going for this current interview because i was already eliminated from my previous choice which i have already attended the interview?

roxysquare88
05-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Would just like to share a little personal anecdote. I just completed my 1st year in NUS (in fact, my exam just ended today!)

I initally applied to do Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISE), thinking that it would be a practical degree of economic value. Having spent 4 months in Engineering, I then realized that I have absolutely no interest in Engineering per se. The foundation modules can be dreadful if you don't have an intrinsic interest in related areas - Physics, Maths, Computing. ISE may sound like it is business-related. Essentially, it is still different from business.

Firstly, ISE students would still have to do those Engineering foundation modules. Secondly, ISE focuses more on statistics and computer programming (Correct me if I am wrong, Istvan)

Anyway, I dreaded engineering so I then opted for a change to another course in the 2nd semester.

There are 2 points that I want to drive across here. 1stly, year 1 students should like what they are studying, and not do a tertiary education just for the sake of a degree. At the end of the day, it is going to be a 3 or 4 year course. I have many friends who are in Engineering and they are grumbing about how "boring" or "tough" it can be. In general, university courses are not easy, since it demands a higher level of thinking and application. What you can do, as a living person with freedom of choice, is to choose something that you genuinely like. It may take some time to discover that interest. Don't go with the flow blindly. Acknowledge who you are and what you like. It is important to have a sustained and intrinsic interest in what you are learning.

Secondly, be aware that you can exercise a change of course, should you realise towards the end of 1st semester that you don't actually like what you had applied for. In fact, you can give yourself 2 semesters to "test" if you really like the course. An email* would usually be sent out BEFORE the final exams in 1st and then in 2nd semester, informing of the application for a change of course.

*Protocols may change, so please be pro-active in checking with the Office of Admission.

My advice is, if you realise early, do switch early. Otherwise you would waste your time playing catching with the mainstream students (in the new course).

tavia
05-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Secondly, be aware that you can exercise a change of course, should you realise towards the end of 1st semester that you don't actually like what you had applied for. In fact, you can give yourself 2 semesters to "test" if you really like the course. An email* would usually be sent out BEFORE the final exams in 1st and then in 2nd semester, informing of the application for a change of course.

*Protocols may change, so please be pro-active in checking with the Office of Admission.

My advice is, if you realise early, do switch early. Otherwise you would waste your time playing catching with the mainstream students (in the new course).

Hi there, may I ask.. How easy is it to do a switch in courses after completing one semester? Are there any pre-requisites before NUS approves your change in course? (:

icecream
05-05-2010, 08:38 PM
roxysquare88, so which degree are you doing now? :)

I am still thinking if i want to do chem engineering. but the thing about engineering is that its apparently very different from what we've done in jc, so how will i know if i can cope with it :( but i am interested in what a chem engineer does... or would i be better of with accoutancy instead, which seems a 'safer' choice. :/

as for the change of courses, is it based on a level results? i don't think it's based on how well you're doing in the current course which you want to switch out of right? :confused:

roxysquare88
05-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Transfer of course is based on 3 criteria: 1) A level grades 2) 1st or 2nd semester CAP (Cumulative). 3) Interview ***IMPORTANT: All applicants would have to go through a selection interview by a Professor. So it is not 100% transfer success.***

Even though transfer is an option, students should as far as possible choose a course that best fits in the first place, lah.

I am in Life Science now. Not the best course in terms of prospect, but that's where my interest lies. The mode of teaching in Science is generally more interactive and discussive. There are group discussions, laboratory pair-work and sometimes field trips (depending on which Science major).

Engineering is good too. There are many foreign students in Faculty of Engineering, and I must say that most are smart and/or hardworking. They really deserve the good grades. Many friends agree that engineering is not an easy course. I have been there, done that. I share the same sentiment.

University courses are very different from JC. For me, it has been a humbling experience! <clear throat>...means I am not doing that well as I had hoped, lah!

Somebody asked me earlier in this Engineering thread along the line, "what defines interest or passion...because most people won't know where their interest lies...is it possible to 'acquire' an interest".

That person is right. It can be quite difficult to define interest/passion in words. All I know was, I had a rough idea that I am interested in biology, so I took the risk and exercised my option to transfer. My decision proved to be right. Studying for the recent exams was not a burdensome chore because I actually found more joy than sorrow in reading/revising those lecture notes, and would even read up further from textbooks. I guess this would vaguely define "interest"?

Interest can indeed be acquired. However, why acquire an interest from scatch when one could build upon existing?

Below are my personal sharing; nothing scientific. Read it with a pinch of salt, please.

Symptoms of wrong choice:
Feeling of invulnerability ("Aiya, how hard would the course be. I think I can do it as long as I put in enough effort.")

Feeling of self-doubt at times ("Actually I am not exactly sure if I would enjoy that course.")

Feeling of stress ("What is the lecturer talking about!!!")

Finding it difficult to convince yourself / explain why you have chosen a particular course ("Hmm, well... ...I have always been interested in <insert>. Even though there is an emphasis on programming skills in this course and is challenging, I think it is good because I would graduate with a set of technical skills...")

Symptoms of good choice
Feeling of motivation ("Even though some of the concepts taught during the lecture this morning are difficult to grasp, I still look forward to attending the next lecture.")

Thirst for knowledge that is beyond the scope of examinable syllabus ("Eh, I know that this won't be tested in exam. But I am still reading up on this to satisfy my curiosity.")

enruiwe
05-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Oh dear, looks like i am in the same situation as Roxysquare in another year's time.

I am interested in life sciences and chose science in my first year of NS.
After some researching, i found out that science graduates do not do better then engineering graduates (in term of employment and salary). Hence i switched to Industrial and System Engineering in my second year of NS.

But how will we know what to expect in the course we are going to unless we have someone to share with in detail what is the module/course like?

Most people end up switching course after they found out they do not really enjoy the direction the course is bringing only after they are Inside the course.

Chrono
05-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Hey all! Would like to know what Material Science and engineering is about and it's prospect in jobs. Heard that its quite limited in jobs and the prospect of doing it isnt doing well. It is like more of R&D to me, which means do one has to continue on to master's before being able to enter R&D field? There is very few discussion about this type of engineering. Does this course focus more of chemistry than physics?

sianz
05-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Hey I got into NUS common engineering.

After the first year, I know I have to be streamed into the other engineering disciplines

Who knows what is the COP for the GPA for each course? I want to know my chances of getting into chemical engineering and bioengineering

Please assist! I need some good advice

Thanks!

LifeJourney
05-12-2010, 04:53 PM
will there be an orientation for the whole engineering batch or we are separated into our specific courses?

do anyone know how chem engine and econ work? we take it on the first year or second year?

Istvan
05-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Hey I got into NUS common engineering.

After the first year, I know I have to be streamed into the other engineering disciplines

Who knows what is the COP for the GPA for each course? I want to know my chances of getting into chemical engineering and bioengineering

Please assist! I need some good advice

Thanks!

At least 4.7 for Chem Eng. At the very least.

sianz
05-12-2010, 10:20 PM
At least 4.7 for Chem Eng. At the very least.

Woah, the CPA is so high?

So does anyone else know the exact CPA for each individual course?

Thanks for your help!

Istvan
05-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Woah, the CPA is so high?

So does anyone else know the exact CPA for each individual course?

Thanks for your help!

No one has the exact figures...and those are prone to changes anyway. Anyway it's called CAP(cumulative average point) in NUS, not CPA/GPA.

In general need 4.5 and above for anything non-electrical and non-mechanical I believe. Most in common engineering will be streamed into electrical and mechanical.

In addition I believe that ISE, Chem Eng and ESE require about 4.7-4.8. Not sure about the rest, probably just below this range.

It could be hard to reach such a high CAP in year 1...

fatworm
05-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Hi,
I have been accepted into NUS Biz degree. This is my second choice though. I actually want to do Chemical Engineering, so I was thinking that I might apply for the DDP in Biz/Chem Eng after my first year.

Does anyone know the process of applying for DDP after the first year? Do they have a cut-off point (e.g. everyone with CAP above 4.8 will get in) or do they also consider you CCA, interviews etc?

I'm just wondering whether I only need to work hard academically to get a high CAP, in order to do Chem Eng after my first year. Or do I also need to have an impressive CCA as well? It can be a challenge to have both good CAP and CCA.

roxysquare88
05-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Hi,
I have been accepted into NUS Biz degree. This is my second choice though. I actually want to do Chemical Engineering, so I was thinking that I might apply for the DDP in Biz/Chem Eng after my first year.

Does anyone know the process of applying for DDP after the first year? Do they have a cut-off point (e.g. everyone with CAP above 4.8 will get in) or do they also consider you CCA, interviews etc?

I'm just wondering whether I only need to work hard academically to get a high CAP, in order to do Chem Eng after my first year. Or do I also need to have an impressive CCA as well? It can be a challenge to have both good CAP and CCA.

I urge that you think twice on this question: Why do you want to do a double degree?

In my opinion, it is harder to enter the DDP at the end of 1st year. So my suggestion to wanna-bes out there is to apply for and do it right from the start.

Psychologically speaking, it is easier to scale down than to scale up. The entry barrier to DDP is raised as time goes by, in an attempt to select candidates who are really suitable and competent, and to deter candidates whose mentality is just to "give it a try".

I don't know why do you want to a double degree. Only you will have the answer. However, assuming that your reasons are valid, you have to work hard in both your studies and CCA in your freshman year to show that you are really good and can scale-up.

On the other hand, DDP students work very hard in their freshman year, and eventually those who cannot handle the workload or fail to attain CAP requirement of 4.0 will leave the DDP (scale down).

For your case in particular, chances of your application to DDP at the end of year 1 will be slim because Biz degree is a general degree. It is a lot more effort-intensive to do an Engineering degree (a specialized degree).

fatworm
05-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks for your reply, roxysquare88. I do know that DDP requires a lot of effort. It's just that I would prefer to do Chemical Engineering instead of the BBA degree.

NUS is offering me my 2nd choice, which is Biz, so the only way for me to do Chem Eng in Singapore seems to be taking up a DDP after my first year...unless, of course, if the university allows me to switch my degree from Biz to Eng, which, you might agree, is the best option - a single degree in my favourite course.

Istvan
05-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Thanks for your reply, roxysquare88. I do know that DDP requires a lot of effort. It's just that I would prefer to do Chemical Engineering instead of the BBA degree.

NUS is offering me my 2nd choice, which is Biz, so the only way for me to do Chem Eng in Singapore seems to be taking up a DDP after my first year...unless, of course, if the university allows me to switch my degree from Biz to Eng, which, you might agree, is the best option - a single degree in my favourite course.

Taking up a second degree in Chem Engineering is impossible I think.

roxysquare88
05-23-2010, 07:18 PM

Dear fatworm,

Thank you for clarifying your situation. You may wish to appeal to the Office of Admission. In your appeal letter, emphasize your interest in chemical engineering and if possible illustrate some related events that you have participated before in JC.

I am not sure how likely your appeal will be successful. But 1 thing for sure is, it is more likely you can enter DDP now, than if you try to apply at the end of year 1.

Best wishes.

dream
08-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm a freshie here, majoring in life science. I've chosen to do MA1505 (Mathematics I) for sem 1. May I know if there are physics concepts embedded in this module? Cos I don't have any Physics background and I'm afraid to lose out to the other engineers/physicists out there. Could people who have taken/are taking this module kindly share your views to a lost sheep like me? Thanks, greatly appreciated!

kurashi
08-21-2010, 12:13 AM
I heard horrible stories abt MA1505. Compulsory cse for chem eng.

dream
08-28-2010, 11:46 PM
I heard horrible stories abt MA1505. Compulsory cse for chem eng.

Serious? Why did they say so?

Anyway, does anyone know what is the shortest route to get from E3A to E1? I've been going around in circles for the longest time ever! :( :mad:

Pulp
09-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Sigh.. I was initially quite enthusiastic about studying Chemical Engineering, but I've recently heard some (horroific) stories about many Chemical Engineering students (around 8 in 10) having to work in non-related fields like the finance sector, or in other countries, because the pay is not that good.

If I know that I would eventually lean more towards the business field, perhaps I should just study Business instead of Chemical Engineering in the first place?

Ashearo
09-26-2010, 09:56 AM
Sigh.. I was initially quite enthusiastic about studying Chemical Engineering, but I've recently heard some (horroific) stories about many Chemical Engineering students (around 8 in 10) having to work in non-related fields like the finance sector, or in other countries, because the pay is not that good.

If I know that I would eventually lean more towards the business field, perhaps I should just study Business instead of Chemical Engineering in the first place?

You can do business with a Chemical engineering degree, but you can't do chemical engineering with a business degree. You can always take a part time business degree in future if you want. Doing a private chemical engineering degree in future is much more difficult.

In any case, the incidences of graduates working in an industry different from their degrees are quite high. Not just limited to chemical engineers. :)

Pulp
10-03-2010, 06:22 PM
You can do business with a Chemical engineering degree, but you can't do chemical engineering with a business degree. You can always take a part time business degree in future if you want. Doing a private chemical engineering degree in future is much more difficult.

In any case, the incidences of graduates working in an industry different from their degrees are quite high. Not just limited to chemical engineers. :)

Ill take your advice into consideration. Thanks :)

gin
12-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Hi, any MSE seniors here? I have not heard any posts regarding MSE here. Why is it so? Is it an unpopular course? Or does it not have any good career prospects? Hahas thanks.

DarKniGhT
03-06-2011, 09:48 PM

can u tell me what u do? :D i'm considering ise too.

snar123
03-17-2011, 11:05 PM
I dont have O level Physics and I dont take H2 Physics in my JC life. I heard from the admission board that I can go for bridging. But I was wondering if this will lower my chance of getting an offer from this course even if i were to place as my 2nd choice in NUS?

blue177
04-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Hello. anyone heard from NUS common engineering? Come and share when did you receive acceptance and your UAS please!

CodLiverOil
04-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Hello. anyone heard from NUS common engineering? Come and share when did you receive acceptance and your UAS please!

applied for Mech engineering and the engineering + biz add DDP as forst choice.

and... i just got my offer yesterday. Was offered Mech engine + econs DDP, which was my 2nd choice DDP.

s1126c
04-29-2011, 10:34 PM
Hey CodLiverOil, was the DDP offer stated online, on the joint acceptance page? Or was it only on your offer package?

CodLiverOil
04-30-2011, 12:35 AM
Hey CodLiverOil, was the DDP offer stated online, on the joint acceptance page? Or was it only on your offer package?

okAY i just checked, and i found it stated in all 3 modes u mentioned. nus portal, joint acceptance, and brown envelope

s1126c
04-30-2011, 06:33 PM
okAY i just checked, and i found it stated in all 3 Darn so that means I didn't get the DDP. Ah well, ISE it is then. Just curious, what was your UAS?

screenedkiss
04-30-2011, 11:08 PM

Offered Chem Eng + Econs DDP on 25th Apr, received brown package on 26th :)

CodLiverOil
05-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Darn so that means I didn't get the DDP. Ah well, ISE it is then. Just curious, what was your UAS?

UAS/IGP AAA/A 88.75. B for GP :(

kurogane
05-02-2011, 02:31 PM

hi there, saw your post. i got this offer on the 30th. but i also have another offer from NTU MSE, still deciding though..will you be taking up the offer?

enruiwe
05-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Darn so that means I didn't get the DDP. Ah well, ISE it is then. Just curious, what was your UAS?

Hi hi may i know why did you chose ISE? Just wish to hear the reasons for people choosing ISE. Thanks.

blue177
05-03-2011, 12:19 AM
hi there, saw your post. i got this offer on the 30th. but i also have another offer from NTU MSE, still deciding though..will you be taking up the offer?

hey! i got the an offer from ntu mse too haha..but i'm still waiting for nus's offer. I placed nus common engineering as my 2nd choice. may i know your uas?

kurogane
05-03-2011, 12:42 PM
hey! i got the an offer from ntu mse too haha..but i'm still waiting for nus's offer. I placed nus common engineering as my 2nd choice. may i know your uas?

my offer from ntu mse was from 2 yrs back..im a RNSman. i placed nus common engine as 1st choice though...so im not really sure. uas kinda bad, 73.75 or thereabouts i think :(

kneif
05-04-2011, 02:10 AM

I got an offer from nus engineering... but i dont know whether to accept it or not..
I had another offer from ntu biological sciences

blue177
05-04-2011, 10:36 AM
I got an offer from nus engineering... but i dont know whether to accept it or not..
I had another offer from ntu biological sciences

congrats (: first choice? do u like research lab work? do consider about the location convenience to you too..

blue177
05-04-2011, 10:39 AM
my offer from ntu mse was from 2 yrs back..im a RNSman. i placed nus common engine as 1st choice though...so im not really sure. uas kinda bad, 73.75 or thereabouts i think :(

you applied this year for nus? the fees are higher right? which one are u choosing? :o

kneif
05-04-2011, 11:03 AM
congrats (: first choice? do u like research lab work? do consider about the location convenience to you too..

Location wise NTU is the definite choice cos i live at Taman Jurong... so it is convenient...
I have no lab experience for biology though... I took double science ( Chem and Phy) in sec sch and i took H2:math,econs,chem H1:bio in JC....
I really dont know if i would like lab work or find it extremely hard..
But I do have a Passion for biology, I always have.. just that since i didnt do well enough in sec sch i couldnt go to triple science hence i couldnt take up H2 bio in JC...

But i am not a fan of physics and math.. haha... although i tend to do better in those than chem..
should i choose what i can probably do better in or follow my interests???

blue177
05-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Location wise NTU is the definite choice cos i live at Taman Jurong... so it is convenient...
I have no lab experience for biology though... I took double science ( Chem and Phy) in sec sch and i took H2:math,econs,chem H1:bio in JC....
I really dont know if i would like lab work or find it extremely hard..
But I do have a Passion for biology, I always have.. just that since i didnt do well enough in sec sch i couldnt go to triple science hence i couldnt take up H2 bio in JC...

But i am not a fan of physics and math.. haha... although i tend to do better in those than chem..
should i choose what i can probably do better in or follow my interests???

I feel that you should go for ntu biological sciences! go read their thread in the forum, there are ppl with no bio background, not even sec sch bio, and they can still cope with the course, so don't worry (:

kurogane
05-05-2011, 12:33 AM
you applied this year for nus? the fees are higher right? which one are u choosing? :o

yea applied for it; wanted to give it a shot. fees wise im not really sure yet?

friends are encouraging me to take up the nus offer, but now i'm still leaning towards ntu mse...

of course i can always try for nus mse, but that is dependent on my 1st year results. if i do go for nus common engine..i'll most likely end up in mechanical or triple E..:o

how about you?

blue177
05-05-2011, 11:30 AM
yea applied for it; wanted to give it a shot. fees wise im not really sure yet?

friends are encouraging me to take up the nus offer, but now i'm still leaning towards ntu mse...

of course i can always try for nus mse, but that is dependent on my 1st year results. if i do go for nus common engine..i'll most likely end up in mechanical or triple E..:o

how about you?

i think i'll accept ntu mse soon too, you going for the tea session this sat?

kneif
05-05-2011, 11:59 PM
I feel that you should go for ntu biological sciences! go read their thread in the forum, there are ppl with no bio background, not even sec sch bio, and they can still cope with the course, so don't worry (:

Thanks...
Good luck to you :)
;)

kurogane
05-06-2011, 07:31 AM
i think i'll accept ntu mse soon too, you going for the tea session this sat?

yea should be going..then i will cast my vote. lol.

blue177
05-06-2011, 10:25 AM
lol your 1st vote.:cool:

joeridge
05-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Hello...guys....
are there any people going to study Electrical engineering in NUS this year???

meaculpaa
05-20-2011, 01:30 AM
Hi all, who have been offered NUS Common Engineering? Care to share your grades/UAS points? Am getting worried as it's gonna be 1st June soon... Thanks!

blahblah
05-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Hi all, who have been offered NUS Common Engineering? Care to share your grades/UAS points? Am getting worried as it's gonna be 1st June soon... Thanks!

My friend got offered with grades BCC/C AB with Chinese A. She rejected NUS though. She's going to NTU. :) Another friend of her also got offered but I'm not sure what's her grade. Hope this helps. Cheers! :D

knyt
05-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Hello...guys....

hello! i'll be appealing to elec eng when the appeal window is open, so see you around soon! (:

asdfghjkl
05-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Hi. I got offer from NUS electrical engineering. I went to NUS ECE website to check on its curriculum and i have an issue with the electives part. Is it correct that electives only start in the 3rd or 4th year of EE programme? And the electives(especially bioelectronic system and electrical energy) stated in the website is still applicable for 2011 intake? I went to the NUS ECE orientation that take place on 21st May. They actually focus more on automation, media & signal processing and microelectronics that i don't really have much interest in as compared to electrical energy and bioelectronic. Could someone tell me more about electrical energy and bioelectronic? And how many electives does the student have to choose? Hope someone can answer all my questions. THANKS!!

max185
06-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Hi,

What is the maximum total number of MCs the faculty would allow freshmen in their first semester to read?

I was told that there is a cap imposed but forgot the actual figure.

Istvan
06-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Hi,

What is the maximum total number of MCs the faculty would allow freshmen in their first semester to read?

I was told that there is a cap imposed but forgot the actual figure.

23 10 char knn 10 char

sidjames92
06-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Hello...guys....

Good luck to you, the course is still a bit sot sot at the moment as they revamped the whole course and module requirements

hello! i'll be appealing to elec eng when the appeal window is open, so see you around soon! (:

same as above

Hi. I got offer from NUS electrical engineering. I went to NUS ECE website to check on its curriculum and i have an issue with the electives part. Is it correct that electives only start in the 3rd or 4th year of EE programme? And the electives(especially bioelectronic system and electrical energy) stated in the website is still applicable for 2011 intake? I went to the NUS ECE orientation that take place on 21st May. They actually focus more on automation, media & signal processing and microelectronics that i don't really have much interest in as compared to electrical energy and bioelectronic. Could someone tell me more about electrical energy and bioelectronic? And how many electives does the student have to choose? Hope someone can answer all my questions. THANKS!!

You wont get much answers probably at the moment because the NUS EE course was 101% revamped last year and the current year ones entering year 2 are all guinea pigs and victims of the new system

But yeah, from what I see electives are chosen mainly in the 3rd and 4th year, year 1 and year 2 are mainly all the core... Bioelectronic is part of the electives and electrical energy system is a core module... how many electives? check the recomended schedule..

I think you can find all your answers here:
http://www.ece.nus.edu.sg/academic/undergraduate/ee/Electives.html
http://www.ece.nus.edu.sg/academic/undergraduate/ee/Structure.html

But really good luck to you if you are a local and competing with those Vietnamese, Chinamen and Malaysians... some say it's the same across all engineering courses, but in EE, you definitely feel it worst like a minority if you are a singaporean...

Good luck!

yh19
06-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Hello...guys....

i'm going nus electrical eng too! :)

06-13-2011, 11:25 AM

Yes, the electives only start in the 3rd or 4th year for most of the course in NUS, as you need to finish the prerequisite modules beforehand. However, trust me, you will want to do all this modules first before jumping to the in depth electives.
I am not sure about electrical energy, but I am quite sure that bioelectronic should still be available. Else, you can consider going to bioengineering and take a specialization in bioimaging, which is somewhat have similarities with bioelectronic I think

Inneart
06-22-2011, 01:46 AM
Any CEG students matriculating this year?! Let's make friends!

collegehopeful
06-27-2011, 04:00 PM
hello everyone, does anyone know whether freshmen have to be physically present during registration on the 22nd of July? Because I am an IB student and visas and stuff will take some time right? Because results are released on 6th July. I'm not saying I'll get in, but just would like to know what I'll have to do in case I get in. Thanks!

06-27-2011, 05:20 PM
hello everyone, does anyone know whether freshmen have to be physically present during registration on the 22nd of July? Because I am an IB student and visas and stuff will take some time right? Because results are released on 6th July. I'm not saying I'll get in, but just would like to know what I'll have to do in case I get in. Thanks!

During the registration you will get your Matriculation Card and if I am not wrong you have to sign certain papers (University agreement, etc.). So, if you really can't attend it, I would suggest you to inform / ask the University Administration Office.

plus
07-24-2011, 12:26 AM
May I know, is it worth to study the concurrent program from NUS? 5 years i get Bachelor in engineering and master in science ( management ) ???

Needadvices
05-06-2012, 09:49 PM
i just received an offer from chem eng. are there any seniors from nus here from chem eng? can share ur opinions about the course? because i'm torn between nus chem eng and ntu sports science and management.

Hi!
i assume you are already in either nus chem eng or ntu sports sci management right?
can you advice me about which school i should go to for chemical engineering? i got accepted by both schools! one thing that is bothering me is the competition in nus... i only took pure physics for O levels but not in JC. would it be even tougher for me?

mesmeriz3
05-07-2012, 02:18 AM
Hi!
i assume you are already in either nus chem eng or ntu sports sci management right?
can you advice me about which school i should go to for chemical engineering? i got accepted by both schools! one thing that is bothering me is the competition in nus... i only took pure physics for O levels but not in JC. would it be even tougher for me?

hey there! i was also given the option to choose either ntu or nus chem engine. I went ahead with nus instead. Afterall, be it nus or ntu, you'll still face tough competition. You have to get accustomed to meeting people from all walks of life. It is not as though you'll have an easy life if you were to choose ntu. Content wise are all very similar. If you have the will to perform well, you will.

Needadvices
05-08-2012, 09:49 AM
hey there! i was also given the option to choose either ntu or nus chem engine. I went ahead with nus instead. Afterall, be it nus or ntu, you'll still face tough competition. You have to get accustomed to meeting people from all walks of life. It is not as though you'll have an easy life if you were to choose ntu. Content wise are all very similar. If you have the will to perform well, you will.

Hi! haha. i didn't realise it's you in the other thread as well. thanks alot! i actually stay nearer to ntu but i don't mind gg to nus. haha. which year are you in now? there's no compulsory Industrial attachment right? is it hard to get one with those famous companies like shell? & hmm. do you know the average cap in chem eng? haha. and how are the facilities in nus? :)

mesmeriz3
05-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Hi! haha. i didn't realise it's you in the other thread as well. thanks alot! i actually stay nearer to ntu but i don't mind gg to nus. haha. which year are you in now? there's no compulsory Industrial attachment right? is it hard to get one with those famous companies like shell? & hmm. do you know the average cap in chem eng? haha. and how are the facilities in nus? :)

haha I'm matriculating this year. No compulsory attachment but from what I heard from my seniors, they mentioned that a majority of nus chbe students go on IA and SEP too. Whether it is hard or not I am not too sure, but definitely you'll need to meet a certain cap(not written in black and white though) to be shortlisted/clinch an interview with the big companies.

I am more familiar with the facilities in the Faculty of Science than Engine actually. But quite typical, there's a food court, cafe, bookshop(co-op), flea market outside Lt27(only during certain weeks of the year)

chromni
05-08-2012, 08:09 PM
for the engineering and biz ddp, do we get to choose whichever engineering we want from year 1? or is it like the common engineering programme?? (ie choose in year 2)

mesmeriz3
05-08-2012, 08:49 PM
for the engineering and biz ddp, do we get to choose whichever engineering we want from year 1? or is it like the common engineering programme?? (ie choose in year 2)

but since the course is engineering (and not mentioned specifically as chemical / civil/ mechanical and etc), it should be common and you'll specialise after year 1. You can use this as a reference(outdated one though)
http://www.nus.edu.sg/prog/engbiz/grading.html
Otherwise you can call oam to confirm with them

chromni
05-09-2012, 03:46 PM
I just got my offer letter; it says chemical engineering! :D looks like they just leave out the specs on the UAS.

mesmeriz3
05-09-2012, 08:28 PM
congrats! we'll be coursemates :D (thats if you choose to go nus ^^)

Needadvices
05-10-2012, 12:11 AM
I just got my offer letter; it says chemical engineering! :D looks like they just leave out the specs on the UAS.

Hey! so i assume you're going to nus since you're so happy? haha. congratulations! Hmmm. why did you choose ntu over nus? im just wondering because i havent decided on ntu or nus. haha

Needadvices
05-10-2012, 12:12 AM
haha I'm matriculating this year. No compulsory attachment but from what I heard from my seniors, they mentioned that a majority of nus chbe students go on IA and SEP too. Whether it is hard or not I am not too sure, but definitely you'll need to meet a certain cap(not written in black and white though) to be shortlisted/clinch an interview with the big companies.

I am more familiar with the facilities in the Faculty of Science than Engine actually. But quite typical, there's a food court, cafe, bookshop(co-op), flea market outside Lt27(only during certain weeks of the year)

Cool. Might be course mates. haha. from the other thread, you were offered ntu's chem eng too right? why did you choose nus over ntu? haha

mesmeriz3
05-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Cool. Might be course mates. haha. from the other thread, you were offered ntu's chem eng too right? why did you choose nus over ntu? haha

yup i was offered both. As much as I find that both NUS and NTU chem engine are pretty much on par in terms of producing quality students who are ready to take on future petrochemical/pharmaceutical challenges, the decision for my choice honestly boils down to the types of activities that both NUS and NTU can offer. I wouldn't want to be in a university where the environment has so much emphasis placed on academics(i've had enough of that) and little on other activities. My perception of NTU is that it has an environment that will more or less not suit my needs of having equal emphasis on a holistic education.

chromni
05-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Hey! so i assume you're going to nus since you're so happy? haha. congratulations! Hmmm. why did you choose ntu over nus? im just wondering because i havent decided on ntu or nus. haha

I didn't apply for ntu because I don't like their campus. so, if I don't go overseas, it's definitely nus.

mesmeriz3
05-10-2012, 09:44 AM
I didn't apply for ntu because I don't like their campus. so, if I don't go overseas, it's definitely nus.

chromni, are you going for any camps? Like the Engin Faculty camp in early June

chromni
05-10-2012, 10:07 AM
I think i will. I didn't know there's a faculty camp, I had only heard of the chem eng camp in july. wow but the faculty camp sounds pretty insane! 1000+ ppl camping at the same time!

mesmeriz3
05-10-2012, 10:53 AM
I think i will. I didn't know there's a faculty camp, I had only heard of the chem eng camp in july. wow but the faculty camp sounds pretty insane! 1000+ ppl camping at the same time!

Yup check the package! There is a list of camps (Engine Fact camp in JUNE, not the orientation one)
I signed up for that but till now no info! I signed up for Sheares Expo camp too and it'll clash. :(

JBeast
05-10-2012, 12:08 PM

huh why don't you like their campus? personally I think NTU's campus looks nicer because the buildings were constructed not too long ago and look very modern.. especially the one with grass as its roof lol. NTU is definitely bigger too so there might be some problems getting around haha

chromni
05-10-2012, 11:11 PM
huh why don't you like their campus? personally I think NTU's campus looks nicer because the buildings were constructed not too long ago and look very modern.. especially the one with grass as its roof lol. NTU is definitely bigger too so there might be some problems getting around haha

lol i think its very enclosed and the location isn't great either. I think the engineering faculty in nus is much nicer than the coe at ntu. i went inside the ntu engineering buildings several times for some of my h3 sessions and i didn't really like them. just how i feel.

iamstrong
05-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Anyone received their reply dy? or their other choices ? Mind sharing ? :)

Jetcalibur
05-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Anyone received their reply dy? or their other choices ? Mind sharing ? :)

I actually got into chemical engineering 2 years ago and then i went into NS.

I assume you just finished A levels and already applied? Check your status and see what it writes?

hey mesmeriz and chrommi! we might be course mates!:)

bakaWOOFY
05-15-2012, 01:22 PM
hi guys..just wondering what's the cut off for this year's common engineering for nus? until now i do not have any news from NUS yet and my application is still processing..i guess my chances are pretty slim?

chivalry
05-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Hi may I ask what is the cut off point for electrical eng this year? Still now my application status is still progressing... Does it mean that I will receive a rejection letter soon :(

uohzxela
05-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Guys, the COP for NUS EE last year is 73.75, my friend with a UAS of 70 applied this year and got in. So not all hope is lost. Be patient!

chivalry
05-15-2012, 10:28 PM
My UAS is 71.25 but my GP is U so will my chances be lesser?

uohzxela
05-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Your UAS is their main consideration, don't worry about your GP grade. My friend got E for GP btw.

chromni
05-17-2012, 11:25 AM
I actually got into chemical engineering 2 years ago and then i went into NS.

I assume you just finished A levels and already applied? Check your status and see what it writes?

hey mesmeriz and chrommi! we might be course mates!:)

haha yeah, I am starting this year too!

Yup check the package! There is a list of camps (Engine Fact camp in JUNE, not the orientation one)
I signed up for that but till now no info! I signed up for Sheares Expo camp too and it'll clash.

I think I am only going for ChESS camp and the orientation one. Any idea what's happening at the welcome tea next sat?

mesmeriz3
05-17-2012, 10:22 PM
haha yeah, I am starting this year too!

I think I am only going for ChESS camp and the orientation one. Any idea what's happening at the welcome tea next sat?

it's friday!

Jetcalibur
05-18-2012, 12:30 AM
it's friday!

i think i was invited for the tea party last time but i totally forgotten about it. i dint get invited already LOL.

you 2 going for it?

mesmeriz3
05-18-2012, 12:33 AM
i think i was invited for the tea party last time but i totally forgotten about it. i dint get invited already LOL.

you 2 going for it?

last time? :o you don't have it this year? call the oam! :D yup i'm going!!

Jetcalibur
05-18-2012, 11:48 AM
last time? :o you don't have it this year? call the oam! :D yup i'm going!!

nono i meant this year. i think it was like march or something. and i totally forgot about it haha!

uhh pardon my blurness, whats OAM?

mesmeriz3
05-18-2012, 06:46 PM
nono i meant this year. i think it was like march or something. and i totally forgot about it haha!

uhh pardon my blurness, whats OAM?

office of admin!!!!

Kittenpie
05-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Hi =)

Anyone know the cut off point to EE and CE this year for IB? roughly?

relis
05-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Could any EE students recommend me some EE textbooks?

Jetcalibur
05-20-2012, 12:08 PM
office of admin!!!!

oh oops? hahaa! okay will ask them. they'll be like thinking. how in the world did i know theres such thing when im not invited!

wiratama
05-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Hey guys, anyone going for the chem eng tea session alone later? None of my friends applied this course, I will be alone...

chromni
05-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Hey guys, anyone going for the chem eng tea session alone later? None of my friends applied this course, I will be alone...

Hey I will be going for it! Same, noone i know is going for the session.

wiratama
05-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Hey I will be going for it! Same, noone i know is going for the session.

So sorry my email was down just now. If not we could have sit tgt. :)

Jetcalibur
05-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Hey guys, how did your tea session go?

chromni
05-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Hey guys, how did your tea session go?

oh it was loads of stuff about how tough it is and everything. then was lab tour. nth much really

Jetcalibur
05-28-2012, 01:12 AM
oh it was loads of stuff about how tough it is and everything. then was lab tour. nth much really

Wow thats really encouraging. So what did they say that made it sound tough? Oo lab tour ! Which block is it ah? Cause they dint label and I couldn't really tour myself around. How did the building look like?

mesmeriz3
05-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Wow thats really encouraging. So what did they say that made it sound tough? Oo lab tour ! Which block is it ah? Cause they dint label and I couldn't really tour myself around. How did the building look like?

talk about how we have to chiong from the start roh :( make close flens and all suffer together..

wiratama
05-28-2012, 03:50 PM
talk about how we have to chiong from the start roh :( make close flens and all suffer together..

YEA, the senior said we should start preparing earlier (like now?!?)... :(

lee326
08-10-2012, 11:54 PM
hi does anyone know if we have ES1531 lessons on the first week of school? because supposedly we only have lectures and no tutorials on the first week

heaven.on.earth
02-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Hey pyrosphere,
I was wondering whether you had taken up chem eng at NUS? I am considering chem eng but as I have not taken physics at a levels, I would like to know how you coped with the bridging modules?
Thx :)

Jenny123
03-26-2013, 01:21 AM
anyone here in civil engineering?

z0mbiesp0ut
04-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Hi there, i would like to ask which option would be the better one?
1) GEP in which u you graduate with a MEng in 4 years with overseas exposure.
2) Eng and BizAd Accountacy double degree in 5+ years.

randomtty
04-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Hi there, i would like to ask which option would be the better one?
1) GEP in which u you graduate with a MEng in 4 years with overseas exposure.
2) Eng and BizAd Accountacy double degree in 5+ years.

Personally, I think GEP's better.

pokkaGT
04-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Depends what you want to do.

Maybe you are comparing Master's V.S. double (Bachelor's) degree? Anyone can dispute this but if I am not wrong, a Master's degree eases the transition and (with some leadership experience) increase the chances to leadership positions. A double degree opens more doors. In my opinion, a double degree in engineering and accountancy opens somewhat contrasting doors. I don't think they match very well.

z0mbiesp0ut
04-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Im also leaning towards GEP but i got offered the ddp and you can't take GEP and ddp at the same time. Anyone know how i can get around this or drop off one degree(accountancy)? Appeal? Anyway, the second degree isnt really purely accountancy, its BBA(Acct) so it does have elements of business in it. Would that be synergistic in any way?

randomtty
04-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Im also leaning towards GEP but i got offered the ddp and you can't take GEP and ddp at the same time. Anyone know how i can get around this or drop off one degree(accountancy)? Appeal? Anyway, the second degree isnt really purely accountancy, its BBA(Acct) so it does have elements of business in it. Would that be synergistic in any way?

The website states (from what I remember) that you'll be invited to go for the GEP interview if you're eligible and if you impress the faculty members, they will persuade you to drop your second degree to take up GEP. What I mean is, your application for GEP will not be affected by your choice of DDP. If you're planning to take up GEP after your freshman year, I think you do have to drop a degree because they don't feel that students are able to keep up with the workload and a second degree and finish them both in 3 years. However, it is not guaranteed that you'll get in as you'll need to have a "near-perfect" CAP and there's an interview round as well. Just choose wisely. Good luck!

z0mbiesp0ut
04-19-2013, 10:46 PM
That's good to hear. Thanks for the help.

randomtty
04-19-2013, 10:55 PM
That's good to hear. Thanks for the help.

That being said, interviews are ongoing already. All the best :D

wimblix
05-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Hello, I would like to ask those who went for the Global Engineering Programme interview if any has received news of results already?

Thanks!

randomtty
05-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Hello, I would like to ask those who went for the Global Engineering Programme interview if any has received news of results already?

Thanks!

Got my offer today :D

srini
05-04-2013, 12:16 AM
any1 got interview for electrical engineering?

garfieldpal
05-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Got my offer today :D
Congrats!!! Comes with the scholarship as well?

randomtty
05-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Congrats!!! Comes with the scholarship as well?

Yup, full tuition fees paid for plus $3600 allowance per year and $2000 one-time laptop allowance :D

meenos
05-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Guys, i need some help right here from current students if any.

I received my acceptance for common engineering yesterday, however i'm lost. Entering this year and I've yet to decide on course over two years in NS.

I applied for the programme because i am undecided between civil eng/mech eng/comp eng. How does common engine work? I read the NUS official website and i see stars. Does it mean that I will only do mods that I'm keen in to get into course i want? Also i heard that common eng is nicer name for EEE since most slots is allocated there?

http://www.eng.nus.edu.sg/ugrad/MS_common_eng.html

And also, is there a difference between Bachelor of Engineering (CE) vs Bachelor of computing (CE)?

Thanks in advance, and also I'd love to hear anyone's view on the following engineering. I'm really undecided, and it really seems i have interest in all three. I wish to work overseas after graduation.
Currently, I hold a place in NTU Mech Eng.

pokkaGT
05-04-2013, 04:51 PM
It says on the web that you just have to read the respective modules to gain entry to your desired course. The * means you don't need to read that particular module to gain entry to those degree programmes. The web also did not mention anything about 'slots'.

NUS only offers B.Eng (CEG).

How much do you know about civil/mech/comp engineering? In any case, common engineering is flexible and allows you to think about it while in your first year. If you have any questions about any engineering course, I will try to answer. :)

meenos
05-04-2013, 05:37 PM
It says on the web that you just have to read the respective modules to gain entry to your desired course. The * means you don't need to read that particular module to gain entry to those degree programmes. The web also did not mention anything about 'slots'.

NUS only offers B.Eng (CEG).

How much do you know about civil/mech/comp engineering? In any case, common engineering is flexible and allows you to think about it while in your first year. If you have any questions about any engineering course, I will try to answer. :)

Alright, thanks for the clarifications! I was a bit confused with the website. A friend of mine says that many common eng will get into EEE (which i don't like at all), but i can't verify his claim.

Well, if you look in GES, there is 2 separate degrees for comp eng. One is bach eng, the other bach comp.
http://moe.gov.sg/education/post-secondary/files/ges-nus.pdf

Here are my concerns, which i can't decide even after two years of thinking in NS.

I think the idea of being part of the construction of a building is interesting. but i read the jobscopes are rather bleak for civil eng.
Mechanical on the other hand can go into aerospace industry, but it's competitive.
Comp eng, perhaps i'd rank third with least interest, is purely because i believe it's the future.

But, ultimately, I'd want to work overseas after graduation. Singapore is a great place, but i really do yearn to work in somewhere else other than SG in singapore. Which industry have the highest potential for overseas position?

pokkaGT
05-04-2013, 06:10 PM
If "job scope" refers to specializations, yes, civil engineering has the least number of specializations and cannot merge with other disciplines. Perhaps you can look from a different perspective, because they have few specializations, they must be a all-in-1 engineer.

Computer engineering was the future. Back in the 1980s haha. I think all engineering fields needs a little change from approach.

***Sorry, my bus just arrived (NUS weekend shuttle bus is very long), will finish the post when I get home :)

meenos
05-04-2013, 06:31 PM
If "job scope" refers to specializations, yes, civil engineering has the least number of specializations and cannot merge with other disciplines. Perhaps you can look from a different perspective, because they have few specializations, they must be a all-in-1 engineer.

Computer engineering was the future. Back in the 1980s haha. I think all engineering fields needs a little change from approach.

***Sorry, my bus just arrived (NUS weekend shuttle bus is very long), will finish the post when I get home :)

oh well, my bad. I was trying to say, civil eng seems to have bleaker career prospects compared to mech/ee. It cannot merge with other disciplines, hence cross industry switch is difficult.

Thanks for taking time to answer my queries!

pokkaGT
05-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Nah, I still believe you should go for the one you like. To hell about career prospects. I say this because I have seen countless engineering graduates who lack passion and patience. They switch jobs before their efforts start to bear fruit.

Career switch between engineering specializations is possible but hard. The few people I heard of switching specializations took time (couple of years at least) and luck. They were open minded too see opportunities.

meenos
05-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Nah, I still believe you should go for the one you like. To hell about career prospects. I say this because I have seen countless engineering graduates who lack passion and patience. They switch jobs before their efforts start to bear fruit.

Career switch between engineering specializations is possible but hard. The few people I heard of switching specializations took time (couple of years at least) and luck. They were open minded too see opportunities.

Okay thanks!

I will consider.

undesirableno1
11-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Hi seniors! I have just finished my a levels and is considering between four choices maily
-chemical engineering in NUS
-chemical and bimolecular engineering in NTU
-science in NTU \ NUS

After reading the brochures given to us as well as looking at some of the courses they take I am still unsure of what I should aim for. I would like about 50% chemistry 25% math and 25% physics and for the subjects not to require too much biology as I am quite weak in it based on pass records. Do advice seniors :)

tjh93
03-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Would like seek some advice here. Currently considering NUS civil eng, mech eng and materials science & eng. Was very bent on civil eng initially but my tutor who was an ex civil engineer advised against civil and recommended mech instead. Can anyone tell me what Mech Eng is all about in the most simplistic form? Have read brochures & talked to professors at the open day but im still rather confused. I find civil very interesting but I'm worried about having to work as a contractor in future. Have heard that there are consultant jobs in the office avail too but i doubt i'll be a successful civil engineer without practical experience under the sun as a contractor. As for mse, it's my third choice after these 2. I personally don't mind doing mse but i don't find it very interesting.. Advice please:confused::confused::confused::(

turbin95
04-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Anyone got into chem eng? My results are AAB/B but i have received no news so far

Liao
04-17-2014, 06:36 PM
Anyone got into chem eng? My results are AAB/B but i have received no news so far

Don't worry. NUS processing is usually slower than the other universities. You should be able to get your offer by the end of April.

zacxy
04-23-2014, 10:47 PM
Hi everyone, I'm having some trouble deciding between Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering. I'm super interested in mobile devices, cloud computing and other technology-related stuff!

If you were given a choice between EE and CE, which would you pick and why?

tiredv
04-23-2014, 11:29 PM
Hi everyone, I'm having some trouble deciding between Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering. I'm super interested in mobile devices, cloud computing and other technology-related stuff!

If you were given a choice between EE and CE, which would you pick and why?

I would pick CE. You learn both hardware and software. Best of both worlds.

zacxy
04-24-2014, 01:41 PM
I would pick CE. You learn both hardware and software. Best of both worlds.

Yep! Thanks, I feel the same way too. CE strongly appeals to me and I'm heavily inclined towards it because it brings together Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, however does that mean that CE graduates are less specialised compared to EE graduates? I have this weird view that EE students can do everything that involves electricity and circuits while CE students are restricted to computers only.

Also, NUS EE is ranked 6th in the QS World University Rankings by subject while there isn't a rank for CE, though CS is 9th. Hence it's difficult to give a comparison between CE and EE based on rankings.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer studying CE over EE but I'm just unsure if CE is indeed more restrictive than EE.

rcmaster
03-30-2015, 06:33 PM
Hi guys can anyone tell me the difference between EE and EEE in NUS and NTU?

I'm very concern to know if a degree in Electrical Engg can work in an Electronics industry? Becus EEE sounds more employable in both electrical and electronic industry IMO.. Not sure if EE is as employable as EEE?

I have been offered NUS EE and NTU EEE, so I'm not sure which one to accept. Any advise pleaseeeee? :confused:
Thanks in advance! :):D

JY9
04-01-2015, 01:37 PM
Hi anyone has their application process for NUS. Chemical engineering especially. My RP 0.5 short from their COP and I forget to fill in DA. Is that why my application has been only in received status since 8 march

lapcheung
04-01-2015, 02:37 PM
which one should I choose- systems or mechanical engineering? what if I don't have any robotics background? I am a female btw.

rcmaster
04-02-2015, 07:36 AM
which one should I choose- systems or mechanical engineering? what if I don't have any robotics background? I am a female btw.

Between systems n mechanical engineering, I would suggest systems engg.
mechanical engg very sian one leh, especially for female. you gotta wear those ugly overalls, work in hot and dirty places, and it's also physically demanding.

Im stuck in this god forsaken industry now that's y I know. It sucks.

I not sure about the job prospects of systems engg though.
I would stay away from engineering if I had the choice.

rcmaster
04-02-2015, 07:41 AM
Hi anyone has their application process for NUS. Chemical engineering especially. My RP 0.5 short from their COP and I forget to fill in DA. Is that why my application has been only in received status since 8 march
0.5 below the COP abit hard to get in leh..DA also quite hard unless u r very very distinguished eg Olympiad winner, captain, chairman etc.
what's ur 2nd choice?

JY9
04-02-2015, 01:05 PM
0.5 below the COP abit hard to get in leh..DA also quite hard unless u r very very distinguished eg Olympiad winner, captain, chairman etc.
what's ur 2nd choice?

Lol Actually i place an impossible choice as first choice. But so my second choice is chemical engineering which I am really targeting at. Actually my H2 is AAAB is only GP that is not very well done that pull me down to 0.5. My next choice is Business management.

rcmaster
04-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Lol Actually i place an impossible choice as first choice. But so my second choice is chemical engineering which I am really targeting at. Actually my H2 is AAAB is only GP that is not very well done that pull me down to 0.5. My next choice is Business management.
although they say that your order of choices won't affect your chances of competing with other applicants, but a lot of seniors say that if u put 2nd choice u will be disadvantaged cus they will admit all the ppl eligible who put that course as 1st choice..

so it's wise to not waste ur 1st choice..

JY9
04-06-2015, 10:50 AM
although they say that your order of choices won't affect your chances of competing with other applicants, but a lot of seniors say that if u put 2nd choice u will be disadvantaged cus they will admit all the ppl eligible who put that course as 1st choice..

so it's wise to not waste ur 1st choice..

Ok so next year I put it as first choice then. I learnt my lesson.

ananth16
04-04-2017, 11:34 PM
I put Chemical Engineering as my second choice, and I wasn't shortlisted for my first. When can I expect to get an offer for chem eng? Thanks!