CCC/C NIE Science (Education) 170
CCC/D NTU Engineering 137
CDD/C NUS Nursing 75
DDD/D NTU Art, Design & Media 152

callingmedog
01-31-2009, 01:32 AM
NUS http://nus.edu/oam/IGP/igp.htm
NTU http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/oad2/pdfs/COP.pdf
SMU http://www.smu.edu.sg/admissions/downloads/pdf/Samp%20Notif%20(SMU)%20COP%20FINAL%20with%20FAQs.p df
NIE http://www.nie.edu.sg/nieweb/programmes/loading.do?id=Foundation&cid=13467650&ppid=27164675

kAi
01-31-2009, 10:35 AM
+1.

very informative, esp for those who are getting their A's results this year.

Ashearo
01-31-2009, 11:58 PM
This is the first time cut-off points are released. The links should also show GPA cut-off for poly students.

longstriving
02-04-2009, 02:49 PM
has anyone clicked onto the nus link on the admission matters, what is exactly the 10thand 90th percentile thing? is it the lowest and highest grade for admission?

jokeemonkee
02-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Just imagine the university is accepting only 100 for this particular course. 90th percentile would mean the grade of the tenth highest scoring student out of 100 who got into that course. 10th percentile would be the score of the 90th highest scoring student who got in out of 100.

Hope this helps (:

longstriving
02-04-2009, 05:09 PM
thanks......

jack
02-04-2009, 10:56 PM
based on that, the most competitive courses are nus law, med, dentistry, nus chem eng, nus env eng, nus ISE, and nus MSE.

all have 10th percentile grades of AAA/A.

longstriving
02-04-2009, 11:06 PM
okay, i'm not planning to try all those competetive courses that you had mentioned, and i'm quite interested in nus mechanical engineering, is it as easy to get in as mentioned as BBB/A?

Alex
02-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Wow thanks! Very helpful!

I looking at simple comparison:

AAA/A NUS Law
AAA/B SMU Laws

AAB/B NUS Business Admin
AAB/B NTU Business
ABB/B SMU Business Management

AAA/B NUS Business Admin (Accountancy)
AAB/B NTU Accountancy
ABB/A SMU Accountancy

I guess it is easiest to get into SMU for all the (wrong) hype. They have lowest cutoff points for all categories!

Thank you for posting this!
________
AEROSPACE GRINDER REVIEW (http://www.vaporshop.com)

LockT31W
02-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Sticky for a very useful thread.

spencer
02-15-2009, 05:12 AM
AAA/A NUS Dentistry 44
AAA/A NUS Materials Science & Engineering 50
AAA/A NUS Environment Engineering 58
AAA/A NUS Industry & Systems Engineering 67
AAA/A NUS Law 231
AAA/A NUS Medicine 260
AAA/A NUS Chemical Engineering 295
AAA/B NUS Pharmacy 132
AAA/B NUS Business Admin (Accountancy) 133
AAA/B SMU Laws 125
AAA/B NTU Aerospace Engineering 87

AAB/A NTU Maritime Studies with Business Major 16
AAB/B NUS Business Admin 457
AAB/B NTU Accountancy 574
AAB/B NTU Business 503
ABB/A NUS Bioengineering 64
ABB/A SMU Accountancy 270
ABB/A NTU Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering 162
ABB/B SMU Business Management 677
ABB/B NTU Environmental Engineering 78
ABB/B NTU Maritime Studies 49
ABB/B NTU Mathematics & Economics 117
ABB/B NTU Economics 78

BBB/A NUS Engineering Science 46
BBB/A NUS Engineering 131
BBB/A NUS Mechanical Engineering 315
BBB/B NUS Science 1,100
BBB/B SMU Science (Economics) 205
BBB/B NTU Mathematical Sciences 141
BBB/B NTU Psychology 77
BBB/C NUS Computer Engineering (FoE) 73
BBB/C NUS Electrical Engineering 293
BBB/C NTU Information Engineering & Media 61
BBB/C NTU Chemistry & Biological Chemistry 285
BBB/C NTU Communication Studies 169

BBC/B NUS Real Estate 144
BBC/B SMU Social Sciences 130
BBC/B NTU Bioengineering 68
BBC/C NUS Civil Engineering 81
BBC/C NUS Project & Facilities Management 137
BBC/C NUS Arts & Social Sciences 1,613
BBC/C NTU Biological Sciences 340
BCC/B NUS Computing 301
BCC/B SMU Science (Information Systems Management) 255
BCC/B NTU Materials Engineering 231
BCC/B NTU Sociology 63
BCC/C NUS Computer Engineering (SoC) 77
BCC/C NUS Architecture 171
BCC/C NTU Computer Engineering 170
BCC/C NTU Computer Science 198
BCC/C NTU Electrical & Electronic Engineering 689
BCC/C NTU Mechanical Engineering 488
BCC/C NTU Linguistics & Multilingual Studies 52

CCC/B NUS Industrial Design 34
CCC/B NTU Physics & Applied Physics 65
CCC/C NTU Civil Engineering 106
CCC/C NTU Chinese 106
CCC/C NTU English 100
CCC/C NIE Arts (Education) 205
CCC/C NIE Science (Education) 170
CCC/D NTU Engineering 137
CDD/C NUS Nursing 75
DDD/D NTU Art, Design & Media 152

Wow even BBB people can get into NUS. What a "top university " :rolleyes:

yanshuo
02-15-2009, 08:15 AM
What is your definition of "top university?"

seeweiren
02-15-2009, 01:57 PM

I guess most courses grades varies for each course. I think that NUS and NTU has made a mark by being one of the best distinctive universities in Asia or around the world, based on their detailed research.

Generally University Admission varies from school to school, and also countries. And admission to Asia's University are equally as tough as those in US or even UK.For example, Seoul National University admission is considered one of the hardest to be admitted by their local students.

On a contrary, I have friends who have been rejected a place to study Law or Medicine in Singapore Universities like NUS or SMU, but they have been admitted by top colleges like UCL, Warwick, or King's College.So I don' think admission really determine whether a universities is top or not.

I will suggest to look for a school not only just for the brand name, but also the prospective and learning style that provide. That's the main reason why I decided to study in SMU, instead of going overseas to get an undergraduate degree.

Ultimately, if you are able to have a place in a world-recognised universities, I think that's fine enough for you to find a decent job in the market out there.I am sure there are many successful stories out there about NUS,NTU or SMU.

spencer
02-16-2009, 05:04 AM
I guess most courses grades varies for each course. I think that NUS and NTU has made a mark by being one of the best distinctive universities in Asia or around the world, based on their detailed research.

Generally University Admission varies from school to school, and also countries. And admission to Asia's University are equally as tough as those in US or even UK.For example, Seoul National University admission is considered one of the hardest to be admitted by their local students.

On a contrary, I have friends who have been rejected a place to study Law or Medicine in Singapore Universities like NUS or SMU, but they have been admitted by top colleges like UCL, Warwick, or King's College.So I don' think admission really determine whether a universities is top or not.

I will suggest to look for a school not only just for the brand name, but also the prospective and learning style that provide. That's the main reason why I decided to study in SMU, instead of going overseas to get an undergraduate degree.

Ultimately, if you are able to have a place in a world-recognised universities, I think that's fine enough for you to find a decent job in the market out there.I am sure there are many successful stories out there about NUS,NTU or SMU.

I heard that Seoul Nat'l is quite hard to get in, but Korea is an emerging market. I'd say most unis in Asia are miles away from Tokyo, Kyoto. Agree?

Go to those traditional target schools. They are indeed better. More rearch opportunities, more brilliant students.

Alex
02-16-2009, 11:26 AM

Haha you probably not understand what this list means? :rolleyes:

It is for our A levels, which forms 80% (seniors please help me check correct) of their intake since we are citizens. So citizens get easier and lower criteria. So if you are Singapore A levels going to overseas Uni, you are the 20% (or less because I think local Uns got the world's highest foreign quota. Again please help me check correct) foreigners quota, which means you must have higher grades to get in compared to their locals.

So you must use this list to compare what is their cutoff grades for their locals. Of you can get a better sense by comparing what overseas Unis cutoff grades for foreigners (and also non-Singaporean) and compare for same group for NTU, NUS and SMU.

If I remember correctly, the Straits Times interview with the NUS President last year had him mentioning that foreigners need 4 A grades to get into NUS. I cannot find any references for NTU and SMU foreigner requirements though. Senior who have information please let us know. Thank you!
________
Lovely Wendie (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

yanshuo
02-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Alex, do u mean that:

1. 80% of each A level cohort goes to NUS, NTU, SMU
2. The other 20% goes overseas
3. NUS, NTU, SMU have a different cutoff grade for foreigners as compared with locals

Ashearo
02-16-2009, 11:46 AM
No, i dont think he meant that. He meant that 80% of the places in local universities are given to A level students. 20% for foreigners and polytechnic students. Which I think is likely to be the case.

Alex
02-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Alex, do u mean that:

1. 80% of each A level cohort goes to NUS, NTU, SMU
2. The other 20% goes overseas
3. NUS, NTU, SMU have a different cutoff grade for foreigners as compared with locals

I mean 3. NUS, NTU, SMU have a different cutoff grade for foreigners as compared with locals

:p
________
Alexxa (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Alexxa/)

Ashearo
02-16-2009, 01:34 PM
I mean 3. NUS, NTU, SMU have a different cutoff grade for foreigners as compared with locals

Yeah it is the same case in every university out there. Smaller quotas, higher competition, better grades to get in. Simple.

spencer
02-17-2009, 04:13 AM

How about foreigners studying at local Singapore schools for A-levels?

appledeer
02-18-2009, 05:39 PM
harder i guess.

just want to ask,
can sgpr applay for medicine?
is it very very hard or is it not allowed at all?

plus, why gp grades are not shown? they dont care?(impossible)

yanshuo
02-19-2009, 09:27 AM

Yes its allowed. Should be no difference in criteria.

The grades listed are taken from the '08 intake indicative grade profile provided by each university.

Text taken from NTU pdf: (http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/oad2/pdfs/COP.pdf)

Representative grade profiles1 of the 10th and 90th percentiles of applicants offered places in AY2008/09 for applicants holding Singapore-Cambridge GCE 'A'-Level qualifications. The grade profiles refer to the grades scored by 'A'-level applicants in their 3 H2 and 1 H1 subjects. For the purpose of this exercise, Grade "C" is assumed for both General Paper (GP) and Project Work (PW) in determining the grade profiles. Please note that certain programmes may require grades higher than "C" for GP.

Ashearo
02-19-2009, 11:13 AM
harder i guess.

just want to ask,

Yes you can apply. No, there shouldnt be any exceptions because the minimal grades for medicine is usually AAA (3H2s), A(1 H1) and B for GP. I don't see how they can make it any harder for PRs to get in besides demanding the GP to be A as well. As it is, most of the medicine students have A for GP anyway.

Once you get shortlisted, grades will no longer be much of a concern anymore though.

flamerblast
03-07-2009, 03:04 PM
just receive my a level grade
BBS/C any idea what course can i take in NUS
or NTU?

spencer
03-07-2009, 07:04 PM
just receive my a level grade
BBS/C any idea what course can i take in NUS
or NTU?

What is S grade?

GSC1989
03-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Sub-pass, a level below E.

spencer
03-08-2009, 01:25 AM
Sub-pass, a level below E.

OMG. That dude can't survive university.

yanshuo
03-08-2009, 01:34 AM
OMG. That dude can't survive university.

Please do not post if you are going to make personal insults, or have nothing constructive to say.

I view this very seriously. This is your second warning. One more time will warrant a T-ban.

GSC1989
03-08-2009, 09:47 AM
How is getting a S grade any indicator of whether you can survive university? For instance, if a engineering-oriented student failed chemistry and took say, computer engineering in university, would it even matter? University offers courses designed to teach skills specific to an industry, A level subjects ARE too generic to gauge anything!

spencer
03-08-2009, 03:17 PM
How is getting a S grade any indicator of whether you can survive university? For instance, if a engineering-oriented student failed chemistry and took say, computer engineering in university, would it even matter? University offers courses designed to teach skills specific to an industry, A level subjects ARE too generic to gauge anything!

I want to reply, but probably can't because I will get banned.

GSC1989
03-08-2009, 06:47 PM
-_-. Just to add, let's throw in the entire cohort of law students to do Architecture as a hypothetical scenario. I am quite sure that most of them will drop out/fail by the second year (due to incompatible aptitudes). According to your logic, their IQ is low since they couldn't survive university then? :D

EDIT: Just PM me your reply to this.

spencer
03-08-2009, 07:48 PM
-_-. Just to add, let's throw in the entire cohort of law students to do Architecture as a hypothetical scenario. I am quite sure that most of them will drop out/fail by the second year (due to incompatible aptitudes). According to your logic, their IQ is low since they couldn't survive university then? :D

EDIT: Just PM me your reply to this.

It's not true... They probably still survive. Getting into law = very good A-levels = perseverance + hardwork + others (like IQ)

GSC1989
03-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Aptitude for design courses like Architecture, as you probably know, is more of a talent born ability(or the person is raised in a proper environment) more than anything else though.

What I was trying to bring up a point was, while perseverance, hard work and IQ (-_- fine) is a major contributor to good grades in university, aptitude at doing certain things has to be considered in as well.

EDIT: While you might say they probably still survive, it is inferred that you are saying they probably would get mediocre grades. Judging from the nature of your previous posts, you don't seem to be the type of person who is very forgiving with people of lower grades though. Why the sudden change of heart? :D

pjcstudent
03-08-2009, 08:42 PM
may i know if the grades for GP is important? i got the grades as followed
H2 MATHS A
H2 CHEM A
H2 PHYSICS A
H1 ECONS B
H1 GP D
H1 CHINESE A
H1 PROJECT WORK A

as u all can see, im screwed up by GP, do u all think i stand a chance for Business accountancy course at NUS or NTU?

GSC1989
03-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Yes, high chance. They will probably grant you an interview for it. Not sure if you are required to take the QET (Qualifying English Test) though.

shirobia
03-08-2009, 11:59 PM
just a noob qn, if i got AAC/A , then do i fall under AAB/A or ABB/A?
thanks in advance! :)

GSC1989
03-09-2009, 12:01 AM
just a noob qn, if i got AAC/A , then do i fall under AAB/A or ABB/A?
thanks in advance!

ABB/A. It was mentioned in the IGP pdf that you can subtract a grade point from a H2 content subject and add the grade point to another H2 subject for comparison purposes.

shirobia
03-09-2009, 12:39 AM
ABB/A. It was mentioned in the IGP pdf that you can subtract a grade point from a H2 content subject and add the grade point to another H2 subject for comparison purposes.

thanks for the quick reply! then do i stand a chance to get in NTU accountancy course? interview required?

GSC1989
03-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Hmm you kind of missed the 10th percentile mark by a H2 content grade.. However that's not an absolute cutoff since its 10th percentile and hopefully for you the demand will not be as hot as last year.

Plus, your H1 did do better than the expected IGP score. Perhaps a GP score of B or higher will push it on the same levels as AAB/B.

Like what other people have said for borderline situations like this, just apply.:)

AFMT
03-09-2009, 01:01 AM
Hi, just wanna know...
Do I stand a chance to get into SMU Business Mgmt or NUS business if my results are AAC/B, with As for Gp, pw and chinese?
Also, if I took both hmt at O levels as well as chinese at A levels and scored As for both, do I consider both as academic units?
Please reply, thanks in advance! :)

spencer
03-09-2009, 01:15 AM
Aptitude for design courses like Architecture, as you probably know, is more of a talent born ability(or the person is raised in a proper environment) more than anything else though.

What I was trying to bring up a point was, while perseverance, hard work and IQ (-_- fine) is a major contributor to good grades in university, aptitude at doing certain things has to be considered in as well.

EDIT: While you might say they probably still survive, it is inferred that you are saying they probably would get mediocre grades. Judging from the nature of your previous posts, you don't seem to be the type of person who is very forgiving with people of lower grades though. Why the sudden change of heart? :D

You're making me happy! Cheers! :D

GSC1989
03-09-2009, 01:25 AM
You're making me happy! Cheers!

Glad to see you are opening up your mind a little. :D

I think it can be agreed that you can't really use A level grades as the sole indicator of performance in university course when it is so specific in terms of skillsets required.

shirobia
03-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Hmm you kind of missed the 10th percentile mark by a H2 content grade.. However that's not an absolute cutoff since its 10th percentile and hopefully for you the demand will not be as hot as last year.

Plus, your H1 did do better than the expected IGP score. Perhaps a GP score of B or higher will push it on the same levels as AAB/B.

Like what other people have said for borderline situations like this, just apply.:)

Thanks so much for the advice! OKay! then i shall try to apply :p

geraldong
03-10-2009, 09:58 AM
is it fair to judge the standard of the course solely on its minimum requirements? For eg, since NTU's econs is ABB/B is it better than NUS's BBC/B?

LockT31W
03-10-2009, 01:26 PM
What are you referring to? I thinbk the standard of the course and curriculum can be judged by the standard of the faculty, incl professors and lecturers and tutors. The IGP on the other hand is an indicator of student quality, how good your peers are. And if employers refer to the IGPs they'll probably respect the more selective courses more than the rest.

geraldong
03-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Better in general? As in, I'm thinking of doing economics but i don't know which one to choose. Any opinions?

GSC1989
03-10-2009, 03:07 PM
There is no hidden minimum requirement except for the specific subject requirements each faculty requires.. I believe that it is all based on demand and supply. Higher grade cut-offs just means that the course is very popular. Courses with smaller intakes and are popular also tend to have higher cut-offs.

geraldong
03-10-2009, 11:42 PM
There is no hidden minimum requirement except for the specific subject requirements each faculty requires.. I believe that it is all based on demand and supply. Higher grade cut-offs just means that the course is very popular. Courses with smaller intakes and are popular also tend to have higher cut-offs.

thanks very much! :D

spencer
03-11-2009, 06:23 PM
is it fair to judge the standard of the course solely on its minimum requirements? For eg, since NTU's econs is ABB/B is it better than NUS's BBC/B?

:eek:BBC for Economics?!??!?!!?!?!?!? at NUS??!?!?!!? :eek:

GSC1989
03-11-2009, 09:43 PM
That's not 100 % guaranteed. Economics students at NUS don't start doing economics right away in year 1. They undergo some sort of streaming system to file their major which they only begin doing in year 2.

If I am right, performance in the first year will affect the major streaming process.

will1990
03-11-2009, 09:50 PM
BBC/B is the indicate cut off for the Faculty of Arts ad Social Sciences.. and Economics is one of the majors in FASS.

Of course, even someone who intends to major in a less popular course like.... Japanese Studies, will also have to compete for a spot in FASS.

Since declaration of majors for FASS comes only later in the year for undergraduates, it is not fair to say that BBC/B is the cut off for Economics, but rather.. the cut off for the entire FASS school.

undeadkid
03-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Can anyone give me some suggestions for course application?

My grades are:

Econ(H2)--A
Maths(H2)--C
Physics(H2)--D
Chem(H2)--D
GP(H1)--C

Can I choose NTU EEE or common engin? Wad abt the other two unis?
Thx for anyone's help

GSC1989
03-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Hi, perhaps you could help by stating which subjects were your H1s and which subjects were your H2s.

undeadkid
03-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Edited already...Can give me some suggestions?

GSC1989
03-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Your grade profile is BCC/D, which is a little off the 10th percentile for the mentioned courses. However, I think it should be safe since its pretty much the 10th percentile(not the absolute cut-off and is based on last year's demand).

The demand for engineering courses also seems to scale inversely with accountancy and business courses if you get what i mean :p. Just apply anyway.

undeadkid
03-11-2009, 10:47 PM
grade profile for NTU common engin is CCC/D so will it be easier for me to apply? But I still want to put EEE as first choice, will it affect my chance of getting into uni? (a bit scare to see all courses' rejection)

GSC1989
03-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Nope not at all. In your case, even if you get rejected from EEE, the selection process will still put you on equal footing against those who had selected common engineering as their first choice. For non-law/medicine/dentistry courses, the intake is based on meritocracy(results) rather than choice supposedly.

undeadkid
03-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Then wad is my chance of getting into NTU engin? Will it be very tough? worrying...

Alex
03-12-2009, 11:25 AM
grade profile for NTU common engin is CCC/D so will it be easier for me to apply? But I still want to put EEE as first choice, will it affect my chance of getting into uni? (a bit scare to see all courses' rejection)

I think NTU has quite a good EEE and Engineering right? Far as I know many of NTU grads from Engineering are working in banks, and are very successful people.
________
Bmw M41 History (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_M41)

wsf
03-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Please do not post if you are going to make personal insults, or have nothing constructive to say.

I view this very seriously. This is your second warning. One more time will warrant a T-ban.

yes, i agree.
do spare a thought for others' feelings. =)
it takes great courage to come forth and reveal ur grades.

pjcstudent
03-12-2009, 12:13 PM
hi, i have a question.. does it affect my chances of getting into the course i want when i did not put them as my first choice?
for eg, if i put buisness as my 2nd choice, while someone else with the exact same grades put business as the 1st choice, will he stand a higher chance than me?

Ashearo
03-12-2009, 12:16 PM
PJCstudent, according to what the universities claim, it will not affect your chances. Only Medicine/Law/Dentistry will be affected.

pjcstudent
03-12-2009, 12:42 PM
thanks alot. i do have one more question =/

what is the difference between buisness admistration course and buisness course??which course will be more beneficial to me in the future when i enter the financial sector?

callingmedog
03-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Better in general? As in, I'm thinking of doing economics but i don't know which one to choose. Any opinions?

Choose NUS lar...

Read this: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=1551089

GSC1989
03-12-2009, 03:50 PM
what is the difference between buisness admistration course and buisness course??which course will be more beneficial to me in the future when i enter the financial sector?

The BBA NUS offers is a three year non honours course which culminates into a four year honours programme if you wish to do your honours and you are invited into it.

The BBA is also not associated to any major unlike the NTU Business which you can declare the Banking and Finance as your major. This will be will be reflected in your NTU graduation certificate.

You can however, specialize into finance tracks in your honours year as a BBA undergraduate in NUS, so I don't think either of them loses out in content and rigour while preparing students for the finance sector.

However, do keep in mind NTU offers a three year direct honours business programme. You can also opt to do a second major if you do well.

NUS does have more freedom for you to choose your modules though, NTU's curriculum is pretty much fixed.

alexenderv11
03-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the summary of the cut-off grades found it very useful :)

Want2beDoctor
03-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Hi i need help! haha..
my grades are below

Chem H2 A
Maths H2 A
Bio H2 B
Geog H1 B
PW H1 B
GP H1 C
Chinese H1 C

i m really interested in being a doctor so surely i'll have to enter medicine in NUS otherwise i will have to go overseas for Medicine. But judging from the cut-off grades, do i still stand a chance to enter medicine with my grades? Is there any other route i can take and ultimately enter medicine afterwards?

I've heard tt i can take a biomedical honours in NUS then enter Duke university's Medicine after that. Is this true?Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks a million (:

Ashearo
03-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Its a little hard to get into Medicine with those grades, you can apply and see but it will be tough. The other route is to take another bachelors degree and do well in it, then apply for Duke-NUS Medicine.

Want2beDoctor
03-12-2009, 11:08 PM
But that will take a much longer route right? is there no other way? or do i really have to take it overseas?

LockT31W
03-12-2009, 11:10 PM
much better to take it overseas, if you can afford it. Duke-NUS is more research-oriented, and it's really really tough to get in and to graduate from.

lawyinzhi
03-12-2009, 11:38 PM
my grades are as follows

H2 Chem A
H2 Maths A
H2 Econs A
H1 Physics A
H1 PW B
General paper C

Do i still stand a chance for the top courses?
or am i affected by my gp grade?

Alex
03-13-2009, 12:02 PM
my grades are as follows

H2 Chem A
H2 Maths A
H2 Econs A
H1 Physics A
H1 PW B
General paper C

Do i still stand a chance for the top courses?
or am i affected by my gp grade?

Which "top" courses you intend to apply? I think the admins and Seniors can help only if you indicate the courses. Because everyone has a different definition of "top" courses outside Medicine.
________
Yamaha yzf1000r thunderace (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_YZF1000R_Thunderace)

Ashearo
03-13-2009, 12:10 PM
If top courses refer to Law Medicine Dentistry, then yeah you might have problems getting shortlisted because of your GP grade.

If it refers to the other courses that do not need interviews usually, then you have a good chance at getting in.

sciophobik
03-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Hey, I just got my grades for my A levels as follows:

H2 History - A
H2 Economics - A
H2 Maths - B
H1 Physics - E
GP - A
PW - A

With these results, is it even worth applying for NUS law?

LockT31W
03-14-2009, 03:10 AM
You have a slim chance at it, since there are people with 2As who got shortlisted for Law interviews before, but they are of course in the minority. Just apply.

yl09
03-15-2009, 06:44 PM
In the NTU application form, there is an optional Non-Academic Section. Is it very important? If i do not complete it, will i be at a disadvantage?

Also, can we complete just Section A and not Section B?

Thanks in advance!

zincat
03-15-2009, 11:33 PM
My grades are as follows:
H2
Physics A
Chemistry A
Maths B
H1
Economics B
GP A
Project Work A

Which gives me a AAB/B. I was thinking of applying for Chemical Eng. in NUS, which is an AAA/A. Do I stand a good chance, or should I try to apply another course? Also, is taking a double degree with Business Administration possible with these results? Thanks for any reply :)

jack
03-16-2009, 09:27 AM
My grades are as follows:

Which gives me a AAB/B. I was thinking of applying for Chemical Eng. in NUS, which is an AAA/A. Do I stand a good chance, or should I try to apply another course? Also, is taking a double degree with Business Administration possible with these results? Thanks for any reply :)

You can still try. NUS chem eng shld stand a good chance, given ur excellent GP n PW grades but double degree of chem eng + biz may be rather competitive.

Anyway, ur grades are kind of unique. you got distinctions in subjects that are relatively harder. like physics, chem, gp which have a much lower distinction rate than easier subject like maths.

zincat
03-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I guess I'll drop the double deg. course and just try for Chem Eng. Maths was a flop though, a very unexpected B :(

pjcstudent
03-16-2009, 02:38 PM
In the NTU application form, there is an optional Non-Academic Section. Is it very important? If i do not complete it, will i be at a disadvantage?

Also, can we complete just Section A and not Section B?

Thanks in advance!
after completeing the section (i did), i am required to submit an appraisal form. may i know if its compulsory to do so? cause i have lost in touch with my teachers already..

dreamer
03-16-2009, 04:12 PM
after completeing the section (i did), i am required to submit an appraisal form. may i know if its compulsory to do so? cause i have lost in touch with my teachers already..

if i'm not wrong, yes it is compulsory. in fact if there's no apprasial form submitted i think they will cancel that section. i think u can find the information the uni's website

sciophobik
03-16-2009, 04:27 PM
You have a slim chance at it, since there are people with 2As who got shortlisted for Law interviews before, but they are of course in the minority. Just apply.

I was wondering though, if it's better to apply under discretionary admission for law with those grades? Or would that actually put me under a disadvantage?

statusquo
03-17-2009, 05:26 PM
hi grade profile BBB/B deliberating between FASS (econs, psyc or communication studies) and Real Estate. deciding factor being job prospects and how content based(a lot to memorise?). any opinion? pls help, thanks :)

hanz
03-18-2009, 02:57 AM
Hi all, i urgently require some answers to a query.
Can the GP grade be used as a default h1 grade?
Or does it always have to be just the h1 content subject??

I'm actually really flustered now because i totally messed up my h1 subject and got an E, while in comparison, i scored A for GP and AAC for my h2 subjects. I'm actually keen on business and i'm certain that with that my chances are gone.

Ashearo
03-18-2009, 05:22 AM
GP must be included and you have no choice in that. The entrance score is upon 90, 3H2s + GP + 1 H1 + Project Work.

shirobia
03-18-2009, 12:03 PM
hi there may i ask is real estate a good course? I heard some peoply said that it's a dumping ground. Is it true? :)

yanshuo
03-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Objectively speaking, there is no good course or bad course. It depends on your interests.

unglittered
03-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Hi, I failed GP and would wish to do econs or maths&econs. what are my chances of getting in.
H2: ABB
H1: A
GP: S
Chi: C
PW: A

Is it true that combine degrees are worth less than specialized degrees, for example econs vs maths&econs combine degree.

spencer
03-22-2009, 07:10 AM
Objectively speaking, there is no good course or bad course. It depends on your interests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mouse_degrees

happified
03-24-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm interested in ISE (Industrial and Systems Engineering). However the 10th percentile and the 90th percentile grades are both AAA/A. The intake is also small. What are my chances? =/

My grades are

H1 GP:C
H1 Econs: B
H1 PW: A
H2 Chem: A
H2 Phy: B
H2: Math A

pjcstudent
03-25-2009, 12:49 AM
hey what does the digits beside the course indicates???

GSC1989
03-25-2009, 12:58 AM
Number of candidates admitted in.

aqua89
04-11-2009, 03:35 PM
What is this course about ah? Double degree izzit? Is like the hardest course to enter in the entire school of science?

xhellzx
05-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Wow thanks! Very helpful!

I looking at simple comparison:

AAA/A NUS Law
AAA/B SMU Laws

AAB/B NUS Business Admin
AAB/B NTU Business
ABB/B SMU Business Management

AAA/B NUS Business Admin (Accountancy)
AAB/B NTU Accountancy
ABB/A SMU Accountancy

I guess it is easiest to get into SMU for all the (wrong) hype. They have lowest cutoff points for all categories!

Thank you for posting this!

I am not sure about that Alex.

I was from the dragon year and in my cohort, I have friends that has AAB GP A2 and was rejected by SMU biz and was accepted by NTU and NUS business . I guess when interview plays a part in a weighting, it cant all be fair that its easier to get into SMU by just looking at purely grades. Of course, there is a an amount of truth in statistics but we need to look at the underlying conditions as well. - That is NTU and NUS mainly looks at grades only. You make the cut off you get in. While SMU has an intangible condition that is interview.

Yeah i may not be too quick to presume it is easier to get into SMU unless you mean its easier for people who study well to get in.

henry198
01-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Hi all,

My grades are as follows,
Chem(H2)-C
Phy(H2)-C
Maths(H2)-D
Econs(H1)-A
GP-b
Chinese-A

Is there any course in NTU or Nus that i can get into. I m thinking of common engin and project and failities management, but i dunno if i got any chance. I graduated in 2007 so i will enrolling this year if i got in.

Would appreciate any advise.

Thanks!

legendary
01-23-2010, 04:15 PM
I suppose the 2009/10 edition will be released soon ?

Haecceity
01-24-2010, 12:30 AM
I suppose the 2009/10 edition will be released soon ?

Yes; in a few weeks.

samsara
01-25-2010, 12:47 AM
Oh damn it. I emailed NUS Admissions office a few weeks ago for the updated copy of the indicative grade profiles for the courses and they said sometime in Jan 2010.

Legion
03-05-2010, 10:50 PM
I have some questions about the XXX/X grade profile. I take 4 H2 subjects (phys, chem, math, econs), does that mean the uni will only look at the best 3 H2s for admission? And does it also mean that for my XXX/X profile, it'll be my best 3 H2s and either the grade for GP or PW?

Do H3s matter at all for local uni entry? Is it included in the 90 point ranking?

Haecceity
03-05-2010, 11:01 PM
No, they will look at all your subjects. The XXX/Y is if your Y is a H1 subject. Your GP and PW grade come under a different rating.

To calculate university points, look at this thread (http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2541).

rui
03-05-2010, 11:13 PM
I have some questions about the XXX/X grade profile. I take 4 H2 subjects (phys, chem, math, econs), does that mean the uni will only look at the best 3 H2s for admission? And does it also mean that for my XXX/X profile, it'll be my best 3 H2s and either the grade for GP or PW?

Do H3s matter at all for local uni entry? Is it included in the 90 point ranking?

The Indicative Grade Profile assumes GP and PW to both have the grade of C.

Local universities take into account all six subjects (3 H2, 3 H1; in a case of a student with 4 H2, the H2 with the worst grade will be directly converted to a H1 - i.e. a B in your 4th H2 will become a H1 B).

The subjects contribute to a University admission score.

Each H2 subject has a maximum of 20 points for an A, with a decrement of 2.5 points for each grade (i.e. A-20; B-17.5; C-15 etc.).
Each H1 subject has a maximum of 10 points for an A, with a decrement of 1.25 points for each grade (i.e. A-10, B-8.75; C-7.5 etc.)
Effectively H1 is "halve" the H2. Hence, with straight A's in all 6 subjects, one can attain the maximum of (20 + 20 + 20 + 10 + 10 + 10) 90 points.

If addition of your Mothertongue grade increases your admission points, it will be taken into consideration. Add the point equivalent of your mothertongue grade (e.g. A: 10) to your score capped at 90, and it should be out of 100 now. Then, simply do a 90% calculation of that to get back a score out of 90 again.

H3's are not taken into computation of the admission points.

I would say the Indicative Grade Profile isn't that good of an indicator for the highly competitive courses like Medicine/Law/Dentistry, but would be adequate for gauging the admission standards of other courses. This is so because the aforementioned courses (based on 2009) has an entry requirement of 87.5 admission points, which definitely isn't well represented by the AAA/A CC as indicated in the Indicative Grade Profile (the latter being 85 admission points).

Legion
03-06-2010, 12:03 AM
I see, thank you Haecceity and Rui!

Nugget91
03-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Hi, just got my A lvl grades ytd.
Math(H2) - A
Econs(H2) - A
Phy(H2) - C
GP(H1) - D
Geog(H1) - A
PW(H1) - B
Chinese(H1) - S

thus, AAC/A. Would I be able to make it into Engineering Science (NUS) (62places) with their cut-off point of UAE 2009 AAB/C?

It stated "good grades" for both Math and Phy. but as you can see, my Phy is a C. Would I still have a chance to enter? thanks to any reply.

Ashearo
03-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Hi, just got my A lvl grades ytd.
Math(H2) - A
Econs(H2) - A
Phy(H2) - C
GP(H1) - D
Geog(H1) - A
PW(H1) - B
Chinese(H1) - S

thus, AAC/A. Would I be able to make it into Engineering Science (NUS) (62places) with their cut-off point of UAE 2009 AAB/C?

It stated "good grades" for both Math and Phy. but as you can see, my Phy is a C. Would I still have a chance to enter? thanks to any reply.

Please start your own thread and we will attend to you there.

GCE0055
03-07-2010, 11:43 AM
just got my results.

PW:B
GP:A
math h2: A
phy h2: B
chem h2: C
econs h2: D
mother tounge: A

which of the above do i fall under? do i get bbb/a?
becuz i want to get NUS mechanical engineering..

legendary
03-07-2010, 01:01 PM
just got my results.

PW:B
GP:A
math h2: A
phy h2: B
chem h2: C
econs h2: D
mother tounge: A

which of the above do i fall under? do i get bbb/a?
becuz i want to get NUS mechanical engineering..
yes, you are bbb/a, but with a slight advantage given your A in mother tongue

zacusgn
03-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Hi all, didn't do well in my A levels.

gp b,
pw, c
H1 econs, c
h2 maths, c
h2 physics, c
h2 computing, c

Do you think I stand a chance at Mechanical engineering at NTU which is BCC/C?

Any place else that I can go?

Thanks bros and sis for valuable advice (:

I know it isn't a good grade but please, don't mock at me... :(

Ashearo
03-08-2010, 01:04 AM
zacusgn please start your own thread here

http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/forumdisplay.php?f=73

This is for discussions related to the topic.

thisismyusername
03-11-2010, 11:02 AM
yes, you are bbb/a, but with a slight advantage given your A in mother tongue

I think you're wrong. His H2 Econs h2 is D so that will be dropped to his h1 contrasting subject NOT MT.

legendary
03-11-2010, 11:36 PM
ABD = ACC, in terms of point score

I think there is some misunderstanding here. I meant to say that his A in MT would give him a slight advantage(%-wise) when calculating based on an overall total of 100 points

Haecceity
03-12-2010, 10:29 AM
ABD = ACC, in terms of point score

I think there is some misunderstanding here. I meant to say that his A in MT would give him a slight advantage(%-wise) when calculating based on an overall total of 100 points
I agree with legendary, only that it is an overall score of 90 points. :) He calculates his overall score, including MT, and multiplies it by 0.9.

jokker
02-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Anyone with an updated version of this results?

This was 2 years ago.

Thx in advance. :)

Giggs_85
03-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Here is the latest version.

URL REMOVED

You can also find from the main website of the 3 local uni, it is called "university grade profile". Hope it helps!

[MOD Rui Edit: Although the page linked to isn't explicitly commercial, the root website is a commercial entity, and hence can be construed as unauthorised Commercial Advertising. The latest IGPs can always be found in the "Rate My Chances" forum; click here (http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=4225) to view it directly.]