PDA

View Full Version : National University of Singapore (2008 - 2009)

yanshuo
02-10-2009, 02:18 PM
This is the official thread for NUS scholarships for the 2008 - 2009 cycle. Discuss here if you have something to share, or want to know more.

More information can be found here (http://student.brightsparks.com.sg/profile/nus/index.html?).

chicpeas90
03-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi all, this is the scholarship essay question:

Describe, in less than 2000 characters, an exceptional achievement that highlights your academic interests and intellectual capacity that would be of value to the NUS community.

my question:
Do you think it is ok if i write about more than 1 achievement, although the question stated AN exceptional achievement?

this is because I did a few things in JC, and i dont think mentioning only one of them will present myself accurately to the scholarship officers.

im slightly worried that they will just throw my application away cos i cannot follow simple instructions :D

ripepumpkin
03-24-2009, 12:01 PM
i wrote a few as well, because, yes like you, i have no exceptional achievement to speak of. i'm hoping the same thing too :P

redcurrant
03-25-2009, 06:53 PM
sorry to hijack this thread, but i'm just wondering, is there an appraisal form for this scholarship?

shang
03-26-2009, 12:14 AM
omg la. this essay so bloody hard la.

dreams
03-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Hellos...
Erms may i ask.. what documents does the nus scholarship requires?? does it need recommendation letters etc??

redcurrant
03-26-2009, 07:31 PM
omg la. this essay so bloody hard la.

seconded...:(

saltsterlings
03-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Hi, I was trying to fill up the NUS application form but met a problem with the section 'have you applied for other scholarships'. I did apply for other scholarship but I am not sure of the duration of award or amount granted as well as approved institution of study. I thought of filling the amount granted as $0. Does anyone who has applied tell me what should i fill in with?

tootkiaz
03-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Filling in $0 while seems logical if you are unsure, but at the same time is quite amusing! [Sorry that my post isnt helpful, just thought of sharing what I thought haha]

redcurrant
03-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Hi, I was trying to fill up the NUS application form but met a problem with the section 'have you applied for other scholarships'. I did apply for other scholarship but I am not sure of the duration of award or amount granted as well as approved institution of study. I thought of filling the amount granted as $0. Does anyone who has applied tell me what should i fill in with?

i just put some random amt...

chicpeas90
03-28-2009, 08:39 AM
About the essay:
yes its pretty hard! haha.. anw i decided that i will just write one incident.. i dun want to risk it. later they raise the scholarship officers raise their eyebrows at me and wonder "does this person understand simple english?"

About the appraisal form and documents:
Yes there is a referee's form. it is due on the same day as the applications it self (31 march or 1 april i think...) so we dont have much time to ask our teachers :O

documents: i suppose just send ur academic records, testimonials, cca records, certs of awards you have won.. and anything else you think will give you an edge.

scholarship amount:
are you allowed to put "-" or "to be confirmed" in the field stating amount?

hummingbird
03-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Hi guys,

I took my A levels in 2008. I got a grade of AAAB B

I was wondering if I could reapply for the NUS scholarship next year if i failed to get it this year?

What about not applying this year and applying next year instead?

Any advice would be great!

hannyboi
03-29-2009, 09:38 PM
I believe NUS retains strictly its policy of "one chance at an interview" policy.

Hence it does not matter which year you reapply. Probably you can check with the Office of Admission if the "one chance at an interview" policy does apply to NUS scholarships. It is explicitly stated "one chance at an interview" policy for faculty interviews.

dreams
03-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Heys.. just to check... how many recommendation letters we need?? one or more than one?? kindly advice asap thanks!!!

Ashearo
03-29-2009, 10:27 PM
It says one on the printout.

Ashearo
03-29-2009, 10:30 PM
I think it only applies to faculty level. Scholarship is a totally different thing.

steve1990
03-29-2009, 10:34 PM
omg that means if i were to screw up my law interview i will be eternally rejected?! i thought that was only the case for medicine..

hannyboi
03-29-2009, 10:35 PM
of coz for law too. faculty interviews one time!

Ashearo
03-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Yes Steve, that is correct. That is only fair to everyone else.

hummingbird
03-30-2009, 01:12 AM
i see i see! I don't think i will meet the deadline of 1st April for the NUS Scholarship Appls.. So what would your advice be? Should I go ahead and try and apply again next year if i dont get it.. or just wait till next year?

:D

steve1990
03-30-2009, 03:15 AM
I did some research and apparently that isn't the case though.

" 13. I was invited to attend the interview and test last year but was not offered a place in Law. Can I re-apply?

An unsuccessful applicant can always reapply. However, he/she will have to compete with the same cohort of applicants for a place in Law."

http://law.nus.edu.sg/prospective/admfaqs.htm

dreams
03-30-2009, 08:59 AM
thanks alot ^^

redcurrant
03-31-2009, 08:54 PM
shit, i just realised there is a template for the recommendation letter to be downloaded from the nus website. i've already submitted my application without using the template...how??

tootkiaz
04-01-2009, 10:15 AM
So you sent in an appraisal letter without the template? I guess its better than forgetting to include a letter. Haha.

droplets
04-13-2009, 08:21 AM
hi , anyone knows anything bout nus science scholarship?

btw i applied for medicine and life sciences at nus , so if i got called up for nus science scholarship does it mean tt i m rejected for med?

Bosty
04-13-2009, 09:19 PM
well. most of the medicine ppl got their interviews done or dates confirmed le. but not for sure. But i believe that it my be the case as u have stated. sorry.

droplets
04-13-2009, 10:01 PM
oh er.. i jus got to know tt candidates under EIS will get another session for interviews and psychrometrics hee * prays *