PDA

View Full Version : advice needed! which decision to make?

m_m_m
03-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Hope someone can help me with this.

What are the chances of getting employed with a degree in business from a private university (such as SIM/JCU/Sma)?

Will the employers really reject applicants from private universities just because they are not graduated from local universities?

Also, for Business degree, is SIM better or JCU?
SIM - 3 years to get a degree
JCU - 2 years to get a degree and an optional 1 year extra to get a Masters if you are good enough.

I am stuck in making my decisions as I highly doubt I will make it into a local university this year.

Thanks in advance.

GSC1989
03-08-2009, 07:24 PM
What are the chances of getting employed with a degree in business from a private university (such as SIM/JCU/Sma)?

Depends on what kind of jobs are you able to accept. It's all about your expectations you see, for example, if I bluntly put administrative low-end jobs you might find it derogatory, or even sufficient enough to be content.

Will the employers really reject applicants from private universities just because they are not graduated from local universities?

From what I read about and heard from, the short answer is yes. There will be a high amount of stigma against private local universities. But if you really do well from private universities, check out the various post-graduate options affiliated with the private programmes. Some of them may be from recognized universities.

Think about this way, the high-end jobs already want graduates from ivy-league universities. Even local business graduates from NUS/NTU/SMU are hard pressed to secure those prestigious IB jobs in the financial sector against pure talent like those.

In the end though, it still boils down to job expectations.