PDA

View Full Version : difference between public and private sector

questions
04-06-2008, 01:24 PM
what are the main differences between scholarships (and careers) provided by the public and private sectors?

dershing
04-07-2008, 10:30 PM
public sector is a not for profit area. Their focus is very broad (see the number of ministries, stat boards and their respective scopes and missions.) Private sector tends to be from a single company which means profit driven. The subtle and overt differences are many and some will be more important or less important depending on what kind of person you are and what do you want out of your life.

Paywise, you can read the thread under best paying jobs and i think a lot is written about pay there.

Work environment wise, some argue that public service is a little less stressful since there is literally a very deep pocket and work life balance seems to be better there. Even when comparing their top tier with top tier in banks, law firms.

Some things are always the same. Bosses standard really depends on your luck. Colleagues depend on which department you get posted in, how you get along with others in first few months etc.

One thing though, while private sector people usually move around a fair bit, we do have many career public servants who may find what they do too specialized or unique to allow them to move easily into private sector. You need to talk to a lot more people who are already working to get a good picture for yourself.

abcde
06-06-2008, 09:25 PM
i thk its a matter of perspective. if all along u liked to follow issues in Singapore and current affairs and wanna make a diff to society, public sector it is.
but if tt bores you go private cos its more exciting. and more room for innovativeness, compared to the straight-laced public sector.

elee
06-07-2008, 07:56 PM
but if tt bores you go private cos its more exciting. and more room for innovativeness, compared to the straight-laced public sector

how true is this? because there's this altruistic side of me who wish to make a difference to society, but yet i do not wish to work in an environment where i'll be constrained..

abcde
06-11-2008, 08:52 PM
how true is this? because there's this altruistic side of me who wish to make a difference to society, but yet i do not wish to work in an environment where i'll be constrained..

well it is true u can still make a difference to society in private sector...n the public sector is indeed trying to be less rigid, best eg the recent 'rap' video by govt boards ("get creative, rock on"! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksw2UqTyhhc )...but dere is still lots of adminstrative red tape. in public sector, working to decrease the constraints wld be a form of making a diff to society too i guess?;)