PDA

View Full Version : major in econs and major in econs & maths

poonsuk
03-13-2009, 05:06 PM
I am thinking of either studying a major in econs or a major in economics and mathematics (combined degree available in NTU).

Does anyone knows the difference between this two majors?

any difference in the kind of jobs these two majors will allow one to do? (meaning to say what kind of jobs can a major in econs allow me to do that a major in econs and maths will not allow me to do, and vice versa.)

which of these major has a better career prospects if I want to get into the business and finance industry?

thanks!

starmin
03-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi I don't really know much about the difference but from what I know for the banking & finance industry an econs major is more beneficial than a math major....Perhaps you might want to consider being an economist as a profession then? Economists are quite highly sought after :)

Or from ur description you could consider Actuarial Science? It's a subj tt combines finance & math but you have to really like math though to take it haha.

spencer
03-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Hi I don't really know much about the difference but from what I know for the banking & finance industry an econs major is more beneficial than a math major....Perhaps you might want to consider being an economist as a profession then? Economists are quite highly sought after :)

Or from ur description you could consider Actuarial Science? It's a subj tt combines finance & math but you have to really like math though to take it haha.

Anyone with good maths skills is likely to be favoured when going for jobs in the markets side of banking. Unfortunately, Singapore is a back water for markets. Morgan Stanley don't even have a trading floor in Singapore. Likewise, almost all structured products are made in London/New York.

You can study the degree but the jobs are not in Singapore. Singapore is more abot just distributing the products and in this respect doing a business degree may be better.

ll_angel86
04-29-2009, 09:42 PM
if u like numbers so much, I tink this would be a good course for you.
from there you can
1. continue to postgrad in Econs, which is very maths
2. work in public sector where they alwiz welcome statisticians
3. work in private sector (banks, fin institutions, or other sectors which only require a general degree)

so I would say no harm. it's more important to enjoy your 4 years studying!

before I forget, for Econs in NTU, you will have some compulsory econometrics/statistics subjects. but once u complete them, if u are not a very maths person, you can take other more analytical subjects.

but obviously if u take econs and maths, you will have MORE compulsory econometrics/statistics subjects. that is the main difference. but if u don't like it, you can always switch either way once you are in NTU.

I have friends who have switched from Engineering to Maths n Econs, from Econs to Business etc.