PDA

View Full Version : Ten Percent Admitted to MIT Class of 2013

LockT31W
03-15-2009, 03:59 AM
http://tech.mit.edu/V129/N12/admissions.html

In the wake of a 17 percent increase in applications, MIT’s admit rate plummeted to a record low 10 percent this year. Only 1,597 students out of 15,661 applicants were admitted to the class of 2013. Forty-eight percent are women and nearly a quarter are underrepresented minorities in an admitted class that spans all fifty states and sixty foreign countries.

Applicants were notified of MIT’s decision online at decisions.mit.edu at 1:59 p.m. “Admissions decisions will be available exclusively online,” wrote Associate Director of Admissions Matthew L. McGann ’00 in a blog post earlier this week. Thus rejection letters will no longer be mailed, but accepted students will still be mailed their admission packets.

MIT’s partnership with Questbridge, a non-profit organization that connects low-income students with top colleges, and deteriorating economic conditions were two of the factors leading to the increase in applications, said Dean of Admissions Stuart Schmill ’86.

“The biggest single factor,” the Questbridge partnership, netted MIT over 800 additional applicants, more than five percent of the applicant pool, and accounted for a third of the increase in applications, said Schmill.

Due to the worsening economy, students are applying to more schools in order to “compare costs,” said Schmill. He also said he thinks that awareness of MIT’s “very generous financial aid” is increasing in a year where financial aid is “important to more and more families.”

“Decisions were tougher than ever,” said Schmill, as the “additional applications were all very strong.”

The target size for the class of 2013 is 1,075, said Schmill. This target would be achieved if the yield, the percentage of students who accept MIT’s offer of admission, were at least 67.3 percent. If the yield remains at last year’s 66 percent, MIT may accept students from its waitlist for the fourth year in a row. MIT’s highest yield was the class of 2011’s 69 percent.

vitalism
03-18-2009, 12:04 PM
not surprising. other selective schools probably have similar stats as well.
the singaporeans who got into MIT this year have all represented singapore in international olympiads, and even then a medal doesn't guarantee a place ><

frankchn
05-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Harvard - 7.1%
Yale - 7.5%
Stanford - 7.6%
Princeton - 9+%
MIT - 10%

We can expect admission rates for Singaporeans to be around 1/3 to 1/2 of the rates listed above - international admissions are just that much more competitive.

Cathleen
05-09-2009, 12:14 PM
:confused: Isn't a waste if I don't go to MIT if they have offered a place for me? Coz I dun think my family can afford me to study in US......

LockT31W
05-09-2009, 04:09 PM
hm? you got admitted as a transfer or as a freshman?

frankchn
05-09-2009, 10:25 PM
^ "If". Well, say if you get admitted to both MIT and Caltech, it is conceivable (and even likely, depending on your personality and interests) to choose Caltech over MIT.

vitalism
05-10-2009, 02:41 AM
:confused: Isn't a waste if I don't go to MIT if they have offered a place for me? Coz I dun think my family can afford me to study in US......

i don't understand. MIT is need-blind for international students, meaning if they accept you they will pay whatever it take for you to study there...

Cathleen
05-10-2009, 09:53 AM
hm? you got admitted as a transfer or as a freshman?

As a transfer student :)

Cathleen
05-10-2009, 09:55 AM
i don't understand. MIT is need-blind for international students, meaning if they accept you they will pay whatever it take for you to study there...

Really? But i think have to apply for MIT financial aid, which have closed on 15 April. :(

yanshuo
05-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Wow, that's impressive. I suggest you write to your admission officer about your situation. There should still be something they can do for you.

Cathleen
05-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Wow, that's impressive. I suggest you write to your admission officer about your situation. There should still be something they can do for you.

Thanks ya! I've wrote to the admission officer on the same day when they notify me on my admission. I really hope the miracle will happen :D

Cathleen
05-22-2009, 10:43 PM
I believe that "there are nothing impossible in the world", coz if you break the word "impossible" into three parts: "i'm possible". Yup, miracle will somehow happen in your life. But to remember that we can't totally depend on the miracle, we need to put in our efforts too. :)

Tentative offer MIT Scholarship for 2009/2010 :D

LockT31W
05-23-2009, 01:35 AM
Congrats! I think you can be an inspiration to everyone that nothing is indeed impossible. Could you tell us a little more about yourself, since you're quite an exceptional case? For example, your SAT scores, your CCAs, and your background? All I can tell so far is that you're Malaysian :)

Cathleen
05-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Congrats! I think you can be an inspiration to everyone that nothing is indeed impossible. Could you tell us a little more about yourself, since you're quite an exceptional case? For example, your SAT scores, your CCAs, and your background? All I can tell so far is that you're Malaysian :)

Thank you LockT31W. I'm just a normal student, not much different from others:)

Yup, I'm Malaysian. I've studied in Poi Lam High School (2000-2004) before I transfer to another high school. I graduated from Kuen Cheng Girls' High School (2005) with Unified Examination Certificate. Then, I came to Singapore to continue study my diploma in Singapore Polytechnic (Civil & Structural Engineering). And I've completed my diploma programme within 2 academic years.

For the past, I've been participated in various CCAs, such as Leo Club, Handicraft Society, Student Reporters Society, Chinese Language Society, Chinese Calligraphy Society, Volley Ball Club amd others (with the opportunity to take up various leadership roles). Besides that, I have also attended several leadership camps in Malaysia.

For SAT scores, you may refer to MIT websites as a guide http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/apply/admissions_statistics/index.shtml

"Believe that your life is worth living and your beliefs will help create the fact."

patryn33
05-23-2009, 10:10 AM
I think ppl would like to know your GPA at Poly... etc..
CCA at what level

vitalism
05-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Thank you LockT31W. I'm just a normal student, not much different from others:)

Yup, I'm Malaysian. I've studied in Poi Lam High School (2000-2004) before I transfer to another high school. I graduated from Kuen Cheng Girls' High School (2005) with Unified Examination Certificate. Then, I came to Singapore to continue study my diploma in Singapore Polytechnic (Civil & Structural Engineering). And I've completed my diploma programme within 2 academic years.

For the past, I've been participated in various CCAs, such as Leo Club, Handicraft Society, Student Reporters Society, Chinese Language Society, Chinese Calligraphy Society, Volley Ball Club amd others (with the opportunity to take up various leadership roles). Besides that, I have also attended several leadership camps in Malaysia.

For SAT scores, you may refer to MIT websites as a guide http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/apply/admissions_statistics/index.shtml

"Believe that your life is worth living and your beliefs will help create the fact."

Congrats! MIT's one of my favorite schools and I'm glad you will be joining such an illustrious institution :D

Cathleen
05-30-2009, 12:23 PM
I think ppl would like to know your GPA at Poly... etc..
CCA at what level

My cumulative GPA at poly is 3.9xx
For my secondary school CCAs, I have take some leadership roles in certain CCAs, such as student advisor in Chinese Language Society, Secretary in Handicraft Society, Committee member in Student Repoters' Society, Chinese Calligraphy Society, Student Hostel Discipline Society, Leo Club, etc. Besides that, I oso actively participated in community service. Sometimes, dun think what too much on what you will receive/benefits from others, try to think and offer what you can contribute to the society/community :)

I have joined Leo Club in poly too, involved in organizing several activities and participating in community service.

Just want to share something with you all: Do enjoy your CCA, dun join any CCAs just for the sake that to beautify your resume. Coz you can't find yourself in that society/club.

Hope these info are pretty good enough to be your reference.

Cathleen
05-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Congrats! MIT's one of my favorite schools and I'm glad you will be joining such an illustrious institution :D

Thank you vitalism. I believe that I can turn my vision and passion into reality soon :)

koo86
05-31-2009, 12:29 AM
hahah, wow this is really amazing !! Cathleen , really feel happy for you. :D

Cathleen
05-31-2009, 11:45 PM
hahah, wow this is really amazing !! Cathleen , really feel happy for you. :D

Thank you koo86 :) It's really a miracle for me too!

Cathleen
06-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Hi anyone going to MIT to study this year? Coz I'm planning to departure to boston in August-mid before the school term start.

UCLA_Lim
06-26-2009, 06:18 AM
Congrats Cathleen, I hope you'll be back in Singapore or Asia to contribute your expertise after your studies!

Cathleen
07-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Congrats Cathleen, I hope you'll be back in Singapore or Asia to contribute your expertise after your studies!

Thanks Lim. Sure, I'll come back to Singapore.

fudoushin
07-27-2009, 01:08 AM
Congrats Cathleen! Your story is inspiring for other poly graduates like myself.. haha.

Cathleen
07-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Congrats Cathleen! Your story is inspiring for other poly graduates like myself.. haha.

Thanks you, fudoushin.

Run
09-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Hi, can anyone from JC who has applied to MIT give me some advice on this issue I'm having?

I'm applying to MIT for regular decision, but on the online form it is stated that each applicant needs two teacher evaluators and a counselor or principal... I think it's a little strange to ask my principal, and I've no idea who my counselor should be.

Am I right to assume my civics tutor will be my counselor?

Thanks in advance! :)

yanshuo
09-06-2009, 12:45 AM
Yes you are right. We need a total of 3 teachers to write recommendations for us.

Run
09-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Yes you are right. We need a total of 3 teachers to write recommendations for us.

Thanks! :)

But now I've run into another problem. My civics tutor has agreed to help me with my recommendation, however, she is also my physics tutor. My maths and chemistry tutors are not available to help to help me with my recommendation.

Any advice?

Thanks again!

kthanksbye
09-06-2009, 02:23 PM
You could ask your JC 1 teachers. For MIT (and other top universities), you require recommendations from teachers who teach you in contrasting subjects. Assuming you have 1 math/science teacher recommendation, the other has to come from a humanities teacher. Best advice for you would be to ask your CT to write the counselor report, your JC 1 math/physics/chemistry teacher to write one of your teacher evaluations, and your JC 1/2 humanities teacher to write the other.

Run
09-06-2009, 03:45 PM
You could ask your JC 1 teachers. For MIT (and other top universities), you require recommendations from teachers who teach you in contrasting subjects. Assuming you have 1 math/science teacher recommendation, the other has to come from a humanities teacher. Best advice for you would be to ask your CT to write the counselor report, your JC 1 math/physics/chemistry teacher to write one of your teacher evaluations, and your JC 1/2 humanities teacher to write the other.

Unfortunately in this case, my teachers are the same for JC 1 and 2. :(

kthanksbye
09-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Either get someone other than your CT to write your counselor report (principal, level director, etc.) so your CT can help you with the physics recommendation, or get one of your upper secondary math/science teachers to write the teacher recommendation with an explanatory note attached in the additional information section.

somebodyy
09-13-2009, 11:57 AM
hmm. must the evaluation necessarily be by teachers of contrasting subjects? which unis specify this? do they state this anywhere?

Run
09-14-2009, 10:01 PM
hmm. must the evaluation necessarily be by teachers of contrasting subjects? which unis specify this? do they state this anywhere?

Only MIT requires this. >.<