PDA

View Full Version : What are PSC psychometric tests like?

pearl
03-15-2009, 10:29 PM
What do they test on? Thanks in advance!

yanshuo
03-15-2009, 11:29 PM
It depends on the organisation. Different organisations test on different things. PSC's one goes like this:

Maths reasoning test
English reasoning test
Visual reasoning test
Personality profiling test

pearl
03-16-2009, 05:24 PM
ok, thanks for the information. care to elaborate? :)

DukeBlue
04-09-2009, 11:46 AM
(hope this reply isn't too late!)

Preface: I myself didn’t prepare for the test at all (since I had no idea what it was). Still, I am sure “preparing” for it will help you--if only because the confidence-boost alone will help you psychologically, independent of whether or not the preparation actually helped you mentally. You don’t have to be super-hardcore in preparing for the test, but in case you do want to, I have listed ways to prepare for each section.

I’ll walk through each test, and (except for the last one) recommend how you can do well in them. General advice first:

1. You don’t have to get a perfect score (I think I did less-than-great on especially the math one). 2. Also, the time is really tight on every section: I had to ration my time on each question (move on if it’s too hard) and even then I had to randomly guess on my last few questions of each section because I was running out of time (e.g. 10 seconds left for 5 qns; I just randomly colored in 5 bubbles on the Optical Answer sheet and turned it in).
3. For all sections, the questions start off easy, then are very hard at the end. If you want to handle the tough ones first, do it backwards. But each question is worth the same, so I personally recommend starting from the front but rushing through the first (easier) half of the section.

Math reasoning test
You have to interpret graphs & pie charts, translate time across time zones, convert foreign currencies back and forth into other currencies. Math-y stuff like that.

Due to the tight time limit (~1 minute per question), you have to be really good and fast with math (you can't use a calculator). Either learn to do mental math (I recommend being able to multiply any two double-digit numbers quickly), or multiply on paper really fast.

Ways to prepare: practice doing math really fast (multiplying, dividing especially). Make sure you know how to read basic graphs, pie charts, currency-exchange boards etc.

English reasoning test
Again, tight time constraints (~1 minute per Qn).
You read a passage, then answer MCQs on it. But the MCQs are not your ordinary Reading Comprehension-type MCQs. It’s requires quick logical thinking and thorough interpretation/understanding of the text. Not only does your command of English have to be very strong, you should also be able to think logically quickly.

Some of the closest things you can look at to “prepare” are the UK’s National Admissions Test for Law (LNAT). The sample LNAT tests are pretty good: Google them if you want. Here is one example:
http://www.judd.kent.sch.uk/Documents/Sixth_Form/lnat/sample%20test/SampleTest.pdf
Questions 3, 4, 5, 7 and 8 are some good examples of what the PSC’s questions are like.

You can also look at the US Law School Admission Tests (LSATs). One sample is here: http://www.lsac.org/pdfs/2007-2008/SamplePT07webrenumbered.pdf
Do all sections in the link except Section III (logic games).

Visual reasoning test
Like the spatial-reasoning IQ test in some IQ books.

Goggle up words like “non-verbal reasoning”, “spatial reasoning” and “visual reasoning”. Some of the ones in the PSC quiz are really tricky! Truly brain-teasers. A sample visual reasoning test: http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/tests/spatialtest.htm. PSC’s one is harder, I feel. But the linked test shows you what the test is basically about.

How to prepare: if you’re really hardcore you could go out and look for/buy such IQ books to practice with. Or just Google them up.

Personality profiling test
You can’t prepare for this. It asks you what you prefer, what you would do in a hypothetical situation. There no right/wrong for this; they just want to know your personality (introvert/extrovert; negotiator/dictator etc).

appledeer
04-09-2009, 11:38 PM
(hope this reply isn't too late!)

Preface: I myself didn’t prepare for the test at all (since I had no idea what it was). Still, I am sure “preparing” for it will help you--if only because the confidence-boost alone will help you psychologically, independent of whether or not the preparation actually helped you mentally. You don’t have to be super-hardcore in preparing for the test, but in case you do want to, I have listed ways to prepare for each section.

e
t
c.

OMG! Thanks so much for the detailed answer DukeBlue!

I am going for the test this Saturday, got notified today only, feeling anxious now.:rolleyes:

May I ask whether the Personality profiling test is a writing type or MCQ type? If it is writing, is it short answers for each questions or long essay type?
In addition, is Civil Service College really COLD? I am thinking about bringing two jackets! Do we have breaks? How long will the break be? Cos if we are not having a heavy breakfast, how can we stay untill noon? I heard that it is going to be very long, like 3.5h long...

Thanks so much!

DukeBlue
04-10-2009, 08:22 AM
You're welcome appledeer! If the test is so soon, don't freak out over what I told you. There is no need to "mug" for this particular kind of test, since, as you can tell, it's an aptitude test, not a knowledge-regurgitation test.

The Personality test is also MCQ: whether you prefer X or Y, or what you would do in a given situation, X or Y.

Yes the CSC is cold--bring a jacket. Two is, I think, too much. But if you want to be really warm, I can't stop you from bringing two. Yep it's going to take several hours. Bring a snack to eat in between so you won't feel hungry.

In my case, the three reasoning tests (~2+ hrs total) was on one day; the personality test + psychologists' interview was on another day. So I didn't have to go hungry for 4 hours at a stretch.

appledeer
04-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks a lot! Going to do the samples to test out only.

pearl
04-10-2009, 11:51 PM
hey DukeBlue, thanks for the reply! :)

LockT31W
04-12-2009, 11:59 PM
there are some similar, but not identical tests here: http://www.assessmentday.co.uk

samtanko
04-16-2009, 10:49 PM
there are some similar, but not identical tests here: http://www.assessmentday.co.uk

This is really very good thank you! =)

LockT31W
04-16-2009, 11:42 PM
You're welcome, hope it helps :)

a_m
05-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Hey. Approximately how many people are there doing the psychometric test in the civil service college in one seminar room? and must we bring along any materials or documents? anyone going for the psychometric test for the hus scholarship tomorrow?

DukeBlue
05-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Hey. Approximately how many people are there doing the psychometric test in the civil service college in one seminar room? and must we bring along any materials or documents? anyone going for the psychometric test for the hus scholarship tomorrow?

About 100-plus others, if you're taking it in the CSC lecture room. However the PSC is pretty flexible--I applied as an about-to-graduate college student so I just took my latest one in The Treasury building; it was just me and one other person taking the test at a big oak table in a boardroom.

As for what to bring, I can't remember. Standard stationery, no calculator. Jacket if you're afriad of cold. You may need your IC and/or driver's licence too to verify your identity.

queercase
03-15-2010, 08:45 PM
thank you DukeBlue for the info. just received the invite to take this year's assessment. seems like they changed the format:

Critical Thinking Test (40 minutes)
Numerical Reasoning Test (20 minutes)
Situational Judgement Test (40 minutes)

+ Personality Questionnaire (untimed)

will take it on wed :)

slim9
03-17-2010, 09:47 PM
thank you DukeBlue for the info. just received the invite to take this year's assessment. seems like they changed the format:

Critical Thinking Test (40 minutes)
Numerical Reasoning Test (20 minutes)
Situational Judgement Test (40 minutes)

+ Personality Questionnaire (untimed)

will take it on wed :)

So how did it go? When did you apply for this scholarship?

queercase
03-18-2010, 07:51 PM
the questions given are okay...but not the time allocated.

eg. for math, 32 questions in 20 min + the reading of the 2 pages of instructions are included in the duration given. So it's really a mad rush.

for me, I didn't apply for the scholarship; the invitation letter said that i was nominated by the school. but I had previously told my college counsellor that I'm interested in PSC cos I wanted to apply for an internship.

slim9
03-18-2010, 10:16 PM
the questions given are okay...but not the time allocated.

eg. for math, 32 questions in 20 min + the reading of the 2 pages of instructions are included in the duration given. So it's really a mad rush.

for me, I didn't apply for the scholarship; the invitation letter said that i was nominated by the school. but I had previously told my college counsellor that I'm interested in PSC cos I wanted to apply for an internship.

Oh I see... hope everything went well with your tests and all that! I bet it must have been a experience for you

JJLim
05-29-2010, 02:12 PM
if we are invited to take the psychometric assessment, does that mean that we will definitely have an interview?

thanks =)

eho
05-29-2010, 10:59 PM
if we are invited to take the psychometric assessment, does that mean that we will definitely have an interview?

thanks =)

No. The two stages are independent of each other.

JJLim
05-30-2010, 12:07 PM
No. The two stages are independent of each other.

Ah I see.. thank you for the clarification.

But do you have any idea on how many days after the psychometric assessment will they inform you whether you qualify or not for any interview? and when the interview will most likely be?

Thanks =)

queercase
05-30-2010, 12:24 PM
I attended a talk recently after the test.

the timeline is somewhat like this after the psychometric test (dates may not be exact):

10 Sep 2010: Application starts

time in between for uni application and your exams

10 Dec 2010 - 11 May 2011: Psychological Interview

time in between for receiving of universities' offers and acceptance

Jan-May 2011: Interview and award

If i'm not wrong, you can take the psychometric test at different times around the year; even if you are not nominated.

And personally, I would think that the test does not play a large role in determining your chances of an interview...rather, they would use it during/after the interview (with other supporting data) to determine the chances of giving u the award.

*if i'm not wrong, there's also a group assessment somewhere, but i do not know the dates. still on my way to find out more :)

JJLim
05-31-2010, 12:36 PM
I attended a talk recently after the test.

the timeline is somewhat like this after the psychometric test (dates may not be exact):

10 Sep 2010: Application starts

time in between for uni application and your exams

10 Dec 2010 - 11 May 2011: Psychological Interview

time in between for receiving of universities' offers and acceptance

Jan-May 2011: Interview and award

If i'm not wrong, you can take the psychometric test at different times around the year; even if you are not nominated.

And personally, I would think that the test does not play a large role in determining your chances of an interview...rather, they would use it during/after the interview (with other supporting data) to determine the chances of giving u the award.

*if i'm not wrong, there's also a group assessment somewhere, but i do not know the dates. still on my way to find out more :)

Thanks for the info! Though mine is the 2009-2010 batch and the timeline for the assessment has already passed if that was the case cos' I have been invited to a psychometric assessment as part of my application for the PSC scholarship five days ago.

But I have yet to decide whether I want to take the test since I don't really want to fly back and forth (living in Brunei). And also, won't have the time to revise since I am only free on Sunday. The rest of the time, I come home very late. >.<

JJLim
06-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Will be taking the psychometric assessment this Thursday morning. I sure I do sure I will do well coz I have not revise or prepare for it. no time >.<

dagr816292
02-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Hi! Does anyone have an inkling as to when the results of the psychometric test will be out? Perhaps an idea, if you've taken it before.

I took it last month, fyi.

Thank you! :D

DukeBlue
02-15-2011, 01:09 AM
When I took it in J1 back in 2001, I got results in a few months by mail, saying whether I was average, good or excellent in each section.

However, when I took it again in 2008 for a job application, they did not give me results, merely notified me that I had moved on to the interview round.

I guess, except for curiosity's sake, it doesn't really matter if the results are shown to you or not since they themselves will see your results and determine if you should advance in the interview process.

louis7788
12-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just to update this thread and give everyone else an inkling of what to expect. Went for the psychometric test this morning and this is what i encountered.

3 Tests:

Math test: No graphs/pie chart/bar chart. Most of it is asking you to decide if one value is larger than the other. Tested on fractions, and basic e-math stuff.

Logical Test: Gave you a short paragraph which is assumed to be correct. Gave you various options after that and u need to decide on whether it is logical.

Judgement: Walk you through scenerios. For each scenerio, they will break it up into different situations and you will be asked to choose what kinda actions u wanna take.

Hope these helps.

Cheers. :)