PDA

View Full Version : US University and Department Rankings

Deryk
11-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Where do we obtain the list of bona fide US universities?

Michelle
11-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Hey Deryk,

Check out this very useful site from the U of Texas, it lists all the accreditated colleges by state. http://www.utexas.edu/world/univ/state/

Here is a more "official" list from US Department Office of Post-secondary Education plus links to a comprehensive search tool and also how schools are accreditated: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/

Do note that there are literally thousands of universities or colleges in the US that are accreditated. So the task is to find one that is good for the course you are interested in. That's where rankings come in. I'll post more about it in a new thread I will start on that topic.

-Michelle

pheurie
11-23-2007, 11:24 AM
other than accreditations, you may want to take a look at the ranking of the colleges - afterall we singaporeans love rankings :)
on top of rankings, they give you a pretty good idea of the entrance requirements, school environments etc. Facilitate your comparisons and selections.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/rankindex_brief.php

franticboy
11-29-2008, 11:58 AM
hi, i m interested in finding out the different fortes of the US schools, but how do i go around doing it. anw, i just started the application process, is it alr too late cos i was browsing thru the forum and saw tt everyone had started way before.

LockT31W
11-29-2008, 10:44 PM
hi franticboy, there're many many US colleges, so it's impossible to give you an exhaustive list of colleges and their strengths. what are your SAT scores and grades, and which colleges are you currently looking at?

orthoptics
11-30-2008, 01:31 AM
Rankings provide you with a very rough gauge of the strengths of the schools.
You can use this as a reference:
http://www.flowerpod.com.sg/forums/index.php?showtopic=34020

TheBruce
03-09-2009, 06:02 PM
There also some good universities in South Carolina for example which are kind of off the radar for no reason.

LockT31W
03-09-2009, 08:56 PM
I only know North Carolina has Duke, what's there in SC?

TheBruce
03-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Depending on your interest there is for example Clemson, USC, CSU (pays attention to a christian environment).

callingmedog
03-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Depending on your interest there is for example Clemson, USC, CSU (pays attention to a christian environment).

I think of Borat whenever I think of U of South Carolina:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/10/AR2006111001356.html

Run
03-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I am interested in applying to study in the US, while I have read many posts in this forum which has links to the rankings of the US universities, I am unable to find any department / faculty rankings, such as Economics / Business / Engineering etc. A search on google gave me too many redundant results which were not what I was looking for.

Does anyone know of any sites which provide such rankings? Especially Economics, since I am keen on studying the subject in university.

Thanks! :D

patryn33
03-26-2009, 12:12 AM
try this
http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=6000&postcount=6

LockT31W
03-26-2009, 12:29 AM
other than for professional disciplines like business and engineering, people don't rank undergraduate departments of American universities. For economics, the consensus is MIT, UChicago, Harvard, Princeton, Stanford among others are the best at undergraduate level.

sapphiiregal
04-01-2009, 12:13 PM
hey you could take a look at this table:

http://www.topuniversities.com/worlduniversityrankings/results/2008/subject_rankings/social_sciences/

doesn't rank according to specific subject, but that's the table for social sciences so hope it helps (:

patryn33
04-06-2009, 07:07 AM
http://www.topuniversities.com/worlduniversityrankings/results/2008/subject_rankings/social_sciences/

how accurate is the QS ranking? once again we find ANU ahead of many renown Uni like Cornell, UMICH, UPenn. (even NUS is ahead of UMICH and UPenn). Even Monash is way ahead of Imperial College and Brown an Ivy!

patryn33
04-06-2009, 07:11 AM
USNEWS Economics (Ph.D.) 2007
1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
University of Chicago
3. Harvard University (MA)
Princeton University (NJ)
Stanford University (CA)
University of California--Berkeley
7. Yale University (CT)
8. Northwestern University (IL)
9. University of Pennsylvania
10. University of California--San Diego
11. Columbia University (NY)
University of California--Los Angeles
University of Michigan--Ann Arbor
University of Wisconsin--Madison
15. New York University
University of Minnesota--Twin Cities
17. California Institute of Technology
Cornell University (NY)
19. University of Rochester (NY)
20. Carnegie Mellon University (PA)

Economics Specialties: Development Economics
1. Harvard University (MA)
2. University of California–Berkeley
3. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
4. Princeton University (NJ)
Yale University (CT)
6. University of Chicago
7. Columbia University (NY)
8. University of Pennsylvania
9. Stanford University (CA)
10. Brown University (RI)
Cornell University (NY)
New York University
University of California–Los Angeles

Economics Specialties: Econometrics
2. University of California–San Diego
3. Yale University (CT)
4. University of California–Berkeley
5. Harvard University (MA)
7. University of Chicago
9. Stanford University (CA)
10. University of Wisconsin–Madison
11. University of Pennsylvania
12. Duke University (NC)
14. Michigan State University

Economics Specialties: Industrial Organization
1. Stanford University (CA)
2. Harvard University (MA)
Northwestern University (IL)
5. University of California–Berkeley
6. Yale University (CT)
7. University of Chicago
8. Princeton University (NJ)
10. New York University
12. Columbia University (NY)
13. University of Wisconsin–Madison

Economics Specialties: International Economics
2. Columbia University (NY)
4. University of California–Berkeley
5. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
University of Michigan–Ann Arbor
7. University of Wisconsin–Madison
8. University of California–Los Angeles
Yale University (CT)
10. University of Chicago
11. New York University
Stanford University (CA)
University of Pennsylvania
14. University of Maryland–College Park
15. University of California–Davis
16. University of California–San Diego
University of Rochester (NY)

Economics Specialties: Labor Economics
1. University of Chicago
2. Princeton University (NJ)
4. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
6. Stanford University (CA)
7. Cornell University (NY)
8. University of Michigan–Ann Arbor
9. University of California–Los Angeles
University of Pennsylvania
Yale University (CT)
12. Northwestern University (IL)
13. University of Wisconsin–Madison
14. University of Texas–Austin

Economics Specialties: Macroeconomics
2. University of Chicago
4. Stanford University (CA)
5. University of Minnesota–Twin Cities
6. Princeton University (NJ)
7. University of Pennsylvania
University of California–Berkeley
10. New York University
11. University of California–Los Angeles
. Yale University (CT)
13. Columbia University (NY)
14. University of Rochester (NY)
15. University of Michigan–Ann Arbor
16. University of California–San Diego

Economics Specialties: Microeconomics
2. Stanford University (CA)
University of Chicago
7. University of Pennsylvania
8. Yale University (CT)
9. Northwestern University (IL)
10. California Institute of Technology
11. New York University
12. University of California–San Diego
13. University of California–Los Angeles
14. University of Wisconsin–Madison

Economics Specialties: Public Finance
2. Harvard University (MA)
3. University of California–Berkeley
5. Stanford University (CA)
6. University of Michigan–Ann Arbor
7. University of Chicago
8. University of Wisconsin–Madison
10. University of Maryland–College Park
11. Carnegie Mellon University (PA)
Northwestern University (IL)
13.. University of California–San Diego
Yale University (CT)

Run
04-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Aren't those PhD rankings? :)

patryn33
04-11-2009, 09:24 AM
certainly! LockT31W already stated no undergrad ranking!
either U use Phd ranking as a reference or no reference.. LOL

Run
04-14-2009, 04:38 PM
certainly! LockT31W already stated no undergrad ranking!
either U use Phd ranking as a reference or no reference.. LOL

Heh, what I meant was, are they a good reference for gauging the strength of the university at undergraduate level? :P

yanshuo
04-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Yes, it is about the same. Just note that rankings fluctuate pretty arbitarily within a few places, so schools within about 5 places of each other should be considered the same band.

Run
04-18-2009, 06:57 PM
So I guess Chicago, Stanford, MIT, Harvard and Penn would be my top choices then.

Thanks for the info! :)

SMUgger
04-18-2009, 11:40 PM
The Gourman Report contains rankings for undergrad depts but it is highly controversial (like all other rankings) and hasn't been published for quite some time already. But I do find them kinda accurate in gauging general perception of the (american?) public.

LockT31W
04-19-2009, 12:50 AM
Yeah, I am aware of the Gourman Report too but it smells slightly fishy to me.

patryn33
04-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Is the 1993 Gourman Report the latest one around?
http://consusrankings.com/category/graduate-schools/gourman-report-of-graduate-programs/

The Gourman Report: Leading Graduate Economics Programs (1993, 6th Edition)

1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
2. University of Chicago
3. Stanford University
4. Princeton University
5. Harvard University
6. Yale University
7. University of Minnesota – Twin Cities
8. University of Pennsylvania
9. University of California – Berkeley
10. University of Wisconsin – Madison
11. Northwestern University
12. Columbia University
13. University of California – Los Angeles (UCLA)
14. University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
15. University of Rochester
16. Brown University
17. Carnegie Mellon University
18. Johns Hopkins University
19. University of California – San Diego (UCSD)
20. Cornell University

twasher
05-01-2009, 04:12 PM
There is no easy metric with which to rank departments for undergraduates. For graduate programs, rankings can be done by considering factors like research quality, success of graduate students in academia, faculty reputation etc. However, it is much harder to figure out if a department provides good teaching and mentoring for undergraduates. Reputation and research quality do not correlate very well with teaching quality. Undergraduates do not in general contribute to research, so their success on that front cannot be measured. Career success is also hard to measure for them, since a department may produce a lot of undergraduates who succeed in fields outside of their major. Or it may be a PhD program feeder school and produce mainly wannabe researchers. There is no way to say that a department of the former type is 'inferior' to the other (or vice versa). It all depends on what you want out of an undergraduate education.

Run
05-02-2009, 04:25 PM
There is no easy metric with which to rank departments for undergraduates. For graduate programs, rankings can be done by considering factors like research quality, success of graduate students in academia, faculty reputation etc. However, it is much harder to figure out if a department provides good teaching and mentoring for undergraduates. Reputation and research quality do not correlate very well with teaching quality. Undergraduates do not in general contribute to research, so their success on that front cannot be measured. Career success is also hard to measure for them, since a department may produce a lot of undergraduates who succeed in fields outside of their major. Or it may be a PhD program feeder school and produce mainly wannabe researchers. There is no way to say that a department of the former type is 'inferior' to the other (or vice versa). It all depends on what you want out of an undergraduate education.

Thanks for the clarification.

But is surely there is a way or rough gauge to determine which university is better for certain subjects? (In this case, Economics)

Icesmash1
09-06-2009, 04:20 PM
How about dartmouth's and brown's economics undergraduate course? I'm planning to apply to these 2 universities. I know dartmouth is more focused on undergraduate study, hence explaining why it is non-existent in the rankings provided above. But in terms, of undergraduate study, ranking and reputation, where does dartmouth college stand?

somebodyy
09-08-2009, 12:30 PM
how about the berkeley undergrad economics program? any ideas?

drhorrible
09-08-2009, 08:18 PM
I was always under the impression that the quality of undergrad courses in the US is more or less similar throughout. But I'm not too sure about that. I don't think it really matters, unless you're looking to go into postgrad.

Harry Heng
09-10-2009, 01:40 AM
I think these forms may be useful. It lists a couple of schools which you can consider. They have set pretty high standards for their students given that they have listed Cornell as a safety school for all of their students.

Here is the link.

http://www.rjc.edu.sg/USapps/documents/roughguide.doc

Just know that some of the Ivies like Cornell are used by a vast majority of RJC students as safety schools.

yanshuo
09-10-2009, 11:21 AM
I think these forms may be useful. It lists a couple of schools which you can consider. They have set pretty high standards for their students given that they have listed Cornell as a safety school for all of their students.

Here is the link.

http://www.rjc.edu.sg/USapps/documents/roughguide.doc

Just know that some of the Ivies like Cornell are used by a vast majority of RJC students as safety schools.

On the contrary. Based on my observation of peers, Cornell is as difficult to get into as Cambridge. It is used as a safety school only by top RJC students.

chasingpavements
09-10-2009, 09:49 PM
hey, I've been trying to find information about University of Chicago here, but I can't seem to find anything. Is this because it's not so much of an international school? The website stated they have only 11% international students. anyone knows about this/ is studying there? thanks so much!

serf
09-11-2009, 03:58 AM
I was always under the impression that the quality of undergrad courses in the US is more or less similar throughout. But I'm not too sure about that. I don't think it really matters, unless you're looking to go into postgrad.

Dartmouth sophomore here.

I pity the fool who thinks all undergrad courses are of the same quality.

Well, anyway, we're ranked #1 by USNWR for "commitment to undergraduate teaching," whatever that means (we're ranked 11th on the metarankings, which every D student considers to be an injustice). Brown also does very well on that list. Our economics department is the most popular on campus, which translates into bigger than average class sizes, but quality of instruction is still very well-regarded. There is a heavy finance/consulting recruiter presence on campus, though purportedly less so this year -- all major bulge brackets, investment banks, hedge funds, etc. have at least resume drops. Overall, Dartmouth grads earn the most of any university at the 10-year mark (Forbes), which isn't something to be necessarily proud of, but definitely indication that finding good employment won't be a problem if you really have a hard-on for money.

Having said that, a word of caution -- admissions to D is significantly more stringent for Singaporeans than with our peer institutions. Historically, one or two students ultimately attend every year. Previously, up to a handful were admitted, but in each of the past two years, that number has gone down to... two. Also, since we've turned international need-blind, the number of applications has essentially skyrocketed.

Oh, and, while on the issue of economics, the previous two US Treasury secs have been Dartmouth alums -- although Paulson majored in English instead, heh.

yanshuo
09-12-2009, 02:46 PM
hey, I've been trying to find information about University of Chicago here, but I can't seem to find anything. Is this because it's not so much of an international school? The website stated they have only 11% international students. anyone knows about this/ is studying there? thanks so much!

I'm going to UChic, would be happy to answer any of your questions. :)

11% is a typical rate for top US universities. In fact, UChic is the most Singaporean-friendly after Cornell. There are about 15 Singaporeans matriculating per year on average (and probably even more admitted), as compared to 1-2 for Harvard and Yale, and 5-10 for Princeton, Stanford, Duke, UPenn, Brown, etc.

somebodyy
09-12-2009, 10:42 PM
hmm. care to share which other top US universities have the most Singaporeans beside Chicago and Cornell as mentioned?

koo86
09-13-2009, 02:44 AM
hmm. care to share which other top US universities have the most Singaporeans beside Chicago and Cornell as mentioned?

Uni of Michigan , illinois urbana champaign, uni of texas from what i knw and i think CMU and Wisconsin Madison

RickSteves
09-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Uni of Michigan , illinois urbana champaign, uni of texas from what i knw and i think CMU and Wisconsin Madison

Didn't know Texas has a large singaporean population... I think UC Berkeley, UCLA and USC all have more singaporeans than Texas?

Last I checked, there were quite a number of singaporeans at purdue too.

koo86
09-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Didn't know Texas has a large singaporean population... I think UC Berkeley, UCLA and USC all have more singaporeans than Texas?

Last I checked, there were quite a number of singaporeans at purdue too.

Oh yes ! i left them out too, thanks for the addition

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:35 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2552916-post111.html

Gourman Report ranking for undergrad aerospace engineering:

MIT
Michigan AA
Princeton
Minnesota
Illinois UC
Ohio St
Maryland CP
Kansas
Purdue
U Arizona
Iowa St
RPIUVA
U Washington
Texas A&M
Georgia Tech
Penn St
USC
Texas Austin
U Colorado Boulder
US Air Force Acad
U Missouri Rolla
U Cincinnatti
U Oklahoma
SUNY Buffalo
U Florida
U Tennessee Knoxville
Syracuse U
Virginia Tech
Notre Dame
UCLA
NC St
US Naval Acad
U Alabama Birmingham
Auburn U
West Virginia U
Wichita State
UC Davis
Boston U
Polytechnic U
Parks College of St Louis U
Mississippi State
Oklahoma State

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:36 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2552925-post112.html

Gourman Report ranking for undergraduate marketing:

U Penn
Indiana U Bloomington
U Michigan Ann Arbor
UC Berkeley
NYU
U Illinois Urbana Champaign
Michigan State
Purdue U West Lafayette
U Washington
u Wisconsin Madison
UVA
CUNY Baruch
U Minnesota
Washington U St Louis
Case Western
U Houston
Penn State UP
USC
Texas A&M
U Florida
Ohio State Columbus
Notre Dame
Southern Methodist
Lehigh
U Utah
Emory
Louisiana St
U Mass Amherst
U Oregon
U Arizona
U Maryland College Park (score=4.30)
U Iowa
Georgia State
Arizona St
Syracuse
George Washington U
U Colorado Boulder
U Denver
U South Carolina Columbia
U Georgia
U Nebraska Lincoln

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:36 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2552939-post113.html

Gourman Report rankings for undergraduate accounting:

U Penn
Indiana
Michigan
Berkeley
Texas Austin
NYU
Notre Dame
Illinois
Purdue
Wisconsin
U Washington
Michigan St
UVA
CUNY Baruch
U Minn
washington U St Louis
Case Western
USC
U Houston
Penn St
Ohio St
Texas A&M
Utah
Lehigh
Florida
Southern Meth
U Mass Amherst
U Arizona
Louisiana St
Temple
Maryland (score=4.27)
Georgia St
South Carolina
Oregon
George Wash
SUNY Buffalo
Missouri
Colorado
Arizona St
Iowa
Emory

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:37 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2552953-post114.html

Gourman Report ranking for undergraduate Finance:

U Pennsylvania
Indiana U Bloomington
U Michigan Ann Arbor
UC Berkeley
NYU
U Texas Austin
U Wisconsin Madison
Purdue U West Lafayette
U Washington
Michigan State
UVA
CUNY Baruch
Washington U St Louis
Case Western
USC
U Houston
Penn State University Park
Texas A&M
Notre Dame
Ohio State
U Florida
U Arizona
U Utah
Emory U
Louisiana St Baton Rouge
U Mass Amherst
U Minnesota
Southern Methodist
U Oregon
U Maryland College Park (score=4.31)
Lehigh
Arizona State
U Misouri Columbia
George Washington U
Syracuse U
Geoegia State
U Colorado Boulder
Templu U
U Iowa
U Denver
U South Carolina Columbia
U Nebraska Lincoln
U Georgia

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:38 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2386743-post91.html

Gourman rankings for undergraduate International Relations:

Tufts
Princeton
Johns Hopkins
Georgetown
U Penn
Harvard
Cornell
U Wisconsin Madison
MIT
Stanford
UVA
Notre Dame
US Air Force Acad
US Military Acad
Claremont McKenna

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:38 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2402592-post96.html

Gourman Report ranking for undergraduate molecular biology

MIT
Caltech
U Wisconsin Madison
UC Berkeley
U Colorado Boulder
Northwestern
UC San Diego
U Michigan Ann Arbor
Harvard
Princeton
Carnegie Mellon
Cornell
U Penn
Purdue
RPI
SUNY Buffalo
U Arizona
U Texas Austin
U Washington
Penn State UP
Vanderbilt
UC Santa Cruz

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:39 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2402607-post97.html

Gourman Report ranking for undergraduate biochemistry

Harvard
MIT
UC Berkeley
Wisconsin
Yale
UCLA
Cornell
UC San Diego
U Chicago
U Illinois
Columbia
U Michigan
U Penn
UC Davis
Brandeis
Northwestern
Princeton
U Iowa
Michigan State
Rice
Case Western
Purdue West Lafayette
Oregon State
NYU
U Oregon
Rutgers New Brunswick
SUNY Stony Brook
U Texas Austin
Iowa State
UC Riverside
Penn State University park
USC

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:40 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2406086-post101.html

Gourman Report ranking for undergrad math:

Princeton
UC Berkeley
Harvard
MIT
U Chicago
Stanford
NYU
Yale
Wisconsin Madison
Columbia
Michigan Ann Arbor
Brown
Cornell
UCLA
Illinois Urbana Champaign
Caltech
Minnesota
U Penn
Notre Dame
Georgia Tech
U washington
Purdue WL
Rutgers NB
Indiana U Bloomington
U Maryland College Park
Rice
UC San Diego
Northwestern
Texas Austin
carnegie Mellon
Johns Hopkins
Washington U St Louis
Ohio State
SUNY Stony Brook
Penn State
UVA
RPI
Illinois Chicago
U Colorado Boulder
U Kentucky
UNC Chapel Hill
Dartmouth
U Rochester
U Utah
SUNY Buffalo
Tulane
USC
UC Santa Barbara
U Massachusetts AMherst
U Oregon
Duke
Louisiana State Baton Rouge
U Arizona
case Western
Michigan State
U Pittsburgh
Brandeis
US Air Force Academy

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:40 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2406104-post102.html

Gourman Report ranking for undergraduate applied math:

Harvard
U Chicago
UC Berkeley
Brown
U Wisconsin Madison
Columbia
Yale
UCLA
Caltech
Purdue
UC San Diego
Northwestern
Carnegie Mellon
Johns Hopkins
UVA
U Colorado Boulder

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:42 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2258002-post77.html

Gourman undergrad music ranking:

UC Berkeley
U Chicago
Princeton
Yale
Cornell
U Michigan AA
U Illinois UC
Columbia
Harvard
UCLA
U Rochester
UNC Chapel Hill
Stanford
Oberlin
Indiana U Bloomington
NYU
U Penn
Brandeis
USC
U Iowa
Northwestern
U Texas Austin
Rutgers NB
Ohio State
U North Texas
U Washington
Cal State Northridge
Florida State
Boston U
U Cincinnati

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:43 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2258040-post78.html

Gourman Psychology ranking undergrad:

Stanford
Yale
U penn
U Michigan AA
U Minnesota
UC Berkeley
Harvard
U Illinois UC
U Chicago
Columbia
UC San Diego
UCLA
Indiana U Bloomington
U Colorado Boulder
Carnegie Mellon
U Wisconsin Madison
MIT
Princeton
U Washington
U Oregon
Cornell
U Texas Austin
UNC Chapel Hill
Brown
Northwestern
SUNY Stony Brook
Johns Hopkins
Duke
Penn State UP
NYU

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:43 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2264623-post81.html

Gourman Report undergrad astronomy ranking:

Caltech
UC Berkeley
Harvard
Cornell
U Wisconsin Madison
MIT
U Arizona
U Maryland College Park
U Michigan Ann Arbor
UCLA
Yale
Case Western
U Texas Austin
UVA
U Washington
U Kansas
Indiana U Bloomington
Northwestern
U Penn
Ohio State
U Minnesota
U Oklahoma
USC

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:44 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2264634-post82.html

Gourman Report undergrad astrophysics ranking:

MIT
Caltech
Princeton
Indiana U Bloomington
U Minnesota
Harvard
Purdue
U Penn
UVA
U Oklahoma

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:44 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2273982-post85.html

Gourman Report rankings for undergrad studio art:

NYU
Harvard
Princeton
Yale
UC Berkeley
Columbia
Stanford
Bryn Mawr
U Michigan AA
U penn
U Chicago
Cornell
Johns Hopkins
Brown
UNC Chapel Hill
UCLA
U Pittsburgh
Indiana U Bloomington
U Delaware
UVA
Boston U
U Maryland College Park
Northwestern
U Minnesota
Rutgers
Penn State
U Kansas
U texas Austin
U Iowa
Washington U St Louis
U Wisconsin Madison
Ohio State
U Washington
Case Western
U New Mexico
U Arizona
U Georgia
U Missouri Columbia
USC
Florida State
U Oregon
Ohio U

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:45 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2274023-post86.html

Gourman Ranking for art history:

NYU
harvard
Princeton
Yale
Columbia
UC Berkeley
Stanford
Bryn Mawr
U Michigan AA
Johns Hopkins
U Penn
UCLA
U Chicago
Brown
UNC Chapel Hill
Cornell
U Pittsburgh
Indiana U Bloomington
U Delaware
UVA
Boston U
U Maryland College Park
Northwestern
Rutgers NB
U Minnesota
Penn State
U Kansas
U Iowa
U Texas Austin
washington U St Louis
U Wisconsin madison
Ohio State
U Washington
Case Western
U new Mexico
U Oregon
U Georgia
U Missouri Columbia
Florida State
USC
Ohio U

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:46 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2386735-post90.html

Gourman Report undergrad ranking in Political Science:

Yale
Harvard
Berkeley
Michigan
Chicago
MIT
Stanford
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Cornell
Princeton
UCLA
Northwestern
UNC Chapel Hill
Columbia
Indiana Bloomington
Duke
Johns Hopkins
Notre Dame
Tufts
Ohio State
U Penn
UVA
Georgetown
Texas Austin
U Washington
U Pittsburgh
U Rochester
Rutgers
Brandeis
Vanderbilt
Illinois UC
Oregon
Maryland CP
Iowa
UC Santa Barbara
SUNY Buffalo
U Mass Amherst
NYU
Michigan St
Syracuse
Washington U St Louis
US Air Force Acad
US Military Acad
Dartmouth
Pomona
Emory
UC Davis
Boston U
Tulane

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:46 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2214363-post64.html

Gourman ranking for Journalism:

U Missouri Columbia
Northwestern
Syracuse
U Minnesota
U Illinois U-C
UNC Chapel Hill
U Wisconsin Madison
Ohio State
Michigan State
USC
NYU
Indiana U Bloomington
U washington
U Kansas
U Texas Austin
Kansas State
Marquette
I Iowa
U Colorado Boulder
Ohio U
Penn State U-P
U Florida
U Montana
U Arizona
U Oregon
Iowa State
U Oklahoma
U Georgia
U Utah
Arizona State
U Maryland C-P

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:47 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2214397-post65.html

Gourman ranking for philosophy:

Princeton
U pittsburgh
Harvard
UC Berkeley
U Chicago
Stanford
U Michigan Ann Arbor
UCLA
MIT
Cornell
Yale
Brown
Columbia
Notre Dame
Boston U
UNC Chapel Hill
U Wisconsin Madison
Indiana U Bloomington
U Mass Amherst
U Minnesota
Johns Hopkins

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:49 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2208527-post55.html

Gourman ranking for mechanical engineering:

MIT
Stanford
Berkeley
Minnesota
Princeton
Purdue
Brown
Cornell
Michigan
UCLA
Illinois
Wisconsin
Northwestern
RPI
Texas Austin
Stevens
Columbia
U Penn
Carnegie Mellon
Lehigh
Case Western
Georgia Tech
UC Davis
Virginia Tech
Iowa State
Ohio State
Penn State
USC
NC State
U Washington
Yale
Rice
U Houston
Maryland College park
Notre Dame
Syracuse
U Iowa
UVA
Michigan State
Oklahoma State
U Rochester
Johns Hopkins
U Florida
Rutgers New Brunswick
Polytechnic U
U Delaware
Oregon State
Drexel
U Cincinnati
SUNY Buffalo
U Missouri Rolla
SUNY Stony Brook
U Arizona
Washington U St Louis
Arizona State
Colorado State
U Oklahoma
Vanderbilt

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:50 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2208611-post56.html

Gourman ranking for biomedical engineering follows:

Johns Hopkins
U Penn
Brown
Duke
Northwestern
Tulane
Case Western
Texas A&M
RPI
Marquette
UC San Diego
Louisiana Tech
Boston U
U Iowa
Arizona State
U Illinois Chicago

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:52 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2155875-post39.html

South Asian Studies from Gourman:

Harvard
U Penn
U Washington
UC Berkeley
U Chicago
Brown
U Minnesota
Ohio St
Syracuse

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2155875-post39.html

Southeast Asian Studies:

Harvard
Berkeley
Penn
Chicago
Michigan
Cornell
Wisconsin
Tufts
Ohio St

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:55 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/1063333998-post130.html

Gourman ranking for Communications

Northwestern
Stanford
U Penn
U Michigan Ann Arbor
USC
U Iowa
Michigan State
U Texas Austin
Syracuse
Florida State
U Wisconsin Madison
U Washington
Ohio State
U Minnesota
Purdue West Lafayette
SUNY Buffalo
U Mass Amherst
Ohio U
Wayne State

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:56 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2132997-post3.html

gourman report rankings for computer science

MIT
Carnegie Mellon
UC Berkeley
Cornell
U Illinios UC
UCLA
Yale
Caltech
U Texas Austin
U Wisconsin Madison
U Maryland CP
Princeton
U Washington
USC
SUNY Stony Brook
Brown
Georgia Tech
U Penn
U Rochester
NYU
U Minnesota
U Utah
Columbia
Ohio State
Rice
Duke
Northwestern
SUNY Buffalo
U Pittsburgh
UC Irvine
UC San Diego
U Mass Amherst
Rutgers NB
Indiana U Bloomington
Penn State UP
UC Santa Barbara
Syracuse
Iowa St
RPI
UVA
U Michigan AA
U Iowa
U Conn
Southern Methodist
US Naval Acad
US Military Acad
U Houston
U Kansas
Washington U St Louis
Mich St
Stevens Inst
Case Western
Texas A&M
U Oklahoma
Kansas State
Vanderbilt
Washington State

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 06:59 PM
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/2139371-post24.html

Here are the Gourman rankings for Physics:

Caltech
Harvard
Cornell
Princeton
MIT
UC Berkeley
Stanford
U Chicago
Columbia
Yale
Georgia Tech
UC San Diego
UCLA
U Penn
U Wisconsin Madison
U Washington
U Michigan Ann Arbor
U Maryland College Park
UC Santa Barbara
U Texas Austin
Carnegie Mellon
U Minnesota
RPI
Brown
Johns Hopkins
Michigan State
Notre Dame
SUNY Stony Brook
Case Western
Northwestern
U Rochester
U Pittsburgh
U Colorado Boulder

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 07:07 PM
The Gourman Report for Undergraduate Programs was last published by Princeton Review in 1997. Gourman's rankings are controversial, and favor large state universities according to some critics.

While we would certainly not recommend choosing a school based on its relative position in the Gourman Report, we do think the book can be a valuable aid to identifying possible schools. This is particularly true when the student is strongly inclined to a particular major. Glancing through the top ten or twenty schools in Geology, for example, might yield several choices that had not occurred to the student. Even if the rankings are suspect, having some measure of program reputation may be better than having an undifferentiated list of a hundred or more colleges that offer a particular program.

The Gourman Report states that its ratings are based on "extensive reseach" into the following criteria:

1. auspices, control, and organization of the institution
2. numbers of educational programs offered and degrees conferred (with additional attention to "sub-fields" available to students within a particular discipline
3. age (experience level) of the institution and the individual discipline or program and division
4. faculty, including qualifications, experience, intellectual interests, attainments, and professional productivity (including research)
5. students, including quality of scholastic work and records of graduates both in graduate study and in practice
6. basis of and requirements for admission of students (overall and by individual discipline)
7. number of students enrolled (overall and for each discipline)
8. curriculum and curricular content of the program or discipline and division
9. standards and quality of instruction (including teaching loads)
10. quality of administration, including attitudes and policy towards teaching, research and scholarly production in each discipline, and administration research
11. quality and availability of non-departmental areas such as counseling and career placement services
12. quality of physical plant devoted to undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels
13. finances, including budgets, investments, expenditures and sources of income for both public and private institutions
14. library, including number of volumes, appropriateness of materials to individual disciplines and accessibility of materials
15. computer facility sufficient to support current research activities for both faculty and students
16. sufficient funding for research equipment and infrastructure
17. number of teaching and research assistantships
18. academic-athletic balance

The weight given to each criterion above varies by discipline.

RickSteves
10-08-2009, 07:20 PM
The Gourman Report for Undergraduate Programs

Art History: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24460&postcount=54
Communication: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24468&postcount=60
International Relations: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24450&postcount=44
Journalism: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24462&postcount=56
Music: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24455&postcount=49
Philosophy: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24463&postcount=57
Political Science: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24461&postcount=55
Psychology: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24456&postcount=50
South/Southeast Asian Studies: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24467&postcount=59
Studio Art: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24459&postcount=53

Aerospace Engineering: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24446&postcount=40
Biomedical Engineering: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24465&postcount=59
Mechanical Engineering: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24464&postcount=57

Applied Math: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24454&postcount=48
Astronomy: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24457&postcount=51
Astrophysics: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24458&postcount=52
Biochemistry: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24452&postcount=46
Computer Science: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24469&postcount=63
Math: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24453&postcount=47
Molecular Biology: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24451&postcount=45
Physics: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24471&postcount=64

Accounting: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24448&postcount=42
Finance: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24449&postcount=43
Marketing: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showpost.php?p=24447&postcount=41

patryn33
10-14-2009, 12:10 AM
All 2006 Gourman Ranking.... any new data?

RickSteves
10-15-2009, 01:50 PM
All 2006 Gourman Ranking.... any new data?

The Gourman Report for Undergraduate Programs was last published by Princeton Review in 1997. They have not published newer editions since then.

That said, I think the lists are still very much relevant today. A department takes years, if not decades, to build up its reputation, and most of the good schools in 1997 are still going strong today.

nicoletee
06-30-2011, 10:35 AM
There is information on www.internationaladmissionsexperts.com > Our Resources, on overall university rankings, as well as rankings by subject. This information is compiled across various sources, and as you will see, the rankings do differ quite a bit depending on the different ranking methodology. Our advice is to take the rankings with a pinch of salt; most important thing is to understand what you yourself are looking for in an overseas education.

hi, i m interested in finding out the different fortes of the US schools, but how do i go around doing it. anw, i just started the application process, is it alr too late cos i was browsing thru the forum and saw tt everyone had started way before.