PDA

View Full Version : NUS Scholarship

steve1990
03-24-2009, 02:33 AM
Hi, :)

I'd like to know, if possible, the general calibre of people who obtained the NUS global merit scholarship/ NUS merit scholarship. I got 7 As for my 4H2s & 3H1s and a merit for H3. CCA wise not as outstanding as those in council, but I was a pres in a sports recreational club, executed and organised some J1 inter-level school competition before. I think its an infinitesimal "achievement", but I went for an OCIP trip too. So how'd u evaluate my odds?

Thanks a lot! =)

chicpeas90
03-28-2009, 08:45 AM
im in the same boat as you..and i am wondering the same thing too!

anyone here is a recipient of GMS? or know friends who are on th GMS? (:

pon
04-06-2009, 10:32 PM
hey i just got an email about going down for an interview for scholarships. anyone know what it's going to be like?

hannyboi
04-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Hi, :)

I'd like to know, if possible, the general calibre of people who obtained the NUS global merit scholarship/ NUS merit scholarship. I got 7 As for my 4H2s & 3H1s and a merit for H3. CCA wise not as outstanding as those in council, but I was a pres in a sports recreational club, executed and organised some J1 inter-level school competition before. I think its an infinitesimal "achievement", but I went for an OCIP trip too. So how'd u evaluate my odds?

Thanks a lot! =)

Erm.. sorry to say most shortlisted candidates for NUS GMS have outstanding academic achievements with a wide variety of involvements. You probably stand a better chance if you have other stuff to boast about. I believe you definitely have a chance at the interview. Saying you are president of some club wun be impressive enough loh. Show them your other talents!

Oh ya by the way, by term global merit, you could also be competing with foreigners.

I guess for GMS, they are seeking unique individuals worthy recipients of NUS.

And again, You probably stand a better chance if you have other areas of accomplishments. If you do, good for you

Bosty
04-06-2009, 10:55 PM
rofl i see this kind of post with this kind of grades i laugh at myself for actually hoping to get the same scholarship :P well, u just hope they shortlist u, den after that chiong ur interview sia :) all the best!

pon
04-06-2009, 11:00 PM
i dont think you need such perfect grades or a plethora of cca achievements. i didnt take any h3, was only a member of one cca and got 5As and 2 Bs for my A levels. i got shortlisted for interview.

hannyboi
04-06-2009, 11:35 PM
im saying beyond interviews and getting accepted

GSC1989
04-07-2009, 12:32 AM
im saying beyond interviews and getting accepted

If I'm not wrong, grades and achievements are used to get shortlisted for the interview only. It is likely that NUS considers everyone on equal footing once they get to the interview stage.

However, that being said, it is true that it is easier to impress the panel during the interview if you have an amazing set of achievements in the first place.

steve1990
04-07-2009, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the replies and advices! Much appreciated. :) On a side note, I'd like to point out that applicants for GMS/Merit Scholarship/Faculty Award must be Singapore citizens. Hence foreigners can't apply. Ahhh bosty, what a familar name! ;)

Bosty
04-07-2009, 02:14 AM
Ahhh bosty, what a familar name! ;)

Hahax, if u know who is Bosty, den u should know who i am alr :)

yongyboi
04-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Actually since all the scholarships/awards under NUS are applied through a common application form, it is not difficult to get shortlisted for an interview as long as they think that you are worthy of at least a faculty award. However, i believe they will already classify us into the different tiers of scholarships/awards and through the interviews will they decide which tier of scholarship/award to give, or to reject us. :) anyway, i believe GMS is really given to top-notch students, still yet to hear of anyone who was awarded it.

Ashearo
04-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Anyone shortlisted for this one yet?

pon
04-09-2009, 10:20 AM
me i got a letter by post and email to go down for interview. but no one seems to know what it'll be like...

Ashearo
04-09-2009, 10:40 AM
pon when did you get your letter and email?

pinkyvoodo
04-09-2009, 12:17 PM
oh..did they say which scholarship u're shortlisted for?GMS?

soonyrawks
04-09-2009, 09:10 PM
I received a letter to go for an interview for NUS University level scholarship.. But its a shortlisting interview. Anyone care to share what is the interviews like? E.g. how many rounds of interview? How many interviewers? and What questions they would probably ask? Thanks alot!

soldier
04-09-2009, 09:30 PM
anyone who applied for law and nus scholarship, and already received the scholarship interview letter?

if havent received letter yet means not considered for university level scholarships?

yongyboi
04-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi, just to share. Actly from what i know, NUS will only shortlist n invite you down for scholarship interview. However, they will not tell you which tier of scholarship you are going for. Based on the interview and perhaps other factors, would they award you the scholarship that they deem suitable for you. From what i can remember i only went for one interview last year.

kiasu
04-10-2009, 06:40 AM
Not sure if they will follow the process for last year; if they do, then there may be 2 rounds especially for the GMS. Otherwise, they may award from faculty award/scholarship right up to the nus (merit) scholarship after the first interview. if i recalled correctly, at least one applicant went last year for just one interview and got the nus (merit) scholarship but all gms potential had to go for the second round.

studēre
04-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi,

I've been shortlisted too. However I'm told that it's the faculty of science scholarship and award interview. Does this mean that I've been filtered down to the faculty scholarships already?

Btw when's everyone's interview? Mine's on thursday! Has anyone been interviewed yet? Do share your experiences ! seniors too :)

Thanks so much!

pinkyvoodo
04-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks for all your replies...it has been very helpful. I'm still waiting to see if i'm shortlisted, haha.
Btw stud─ôre if you don't mind can I know what's ur grades and when did you apply? Thanks!

chicpeas90
04-11-2009, 06:47 PM
does anyone know what kind of questions they will ask u at the nus scholarship interview? (:

cowabunga!
04-12-2009, 12:00 AM
hello all, has anyone who has already gotten acceptance into FASS been called up for NUS scholarship interview?

think independently
04-12-2009, 06:27 PM
anyone who applied for law and nus scholarship, and already received the scholarship interview letter?

if havent received letter yet means not considered for university level scholarships?

I applied for law and the scholarship, and have an interview slot tmrw. But my notification was through email. I'm not sure whether this actually means anything re the scholarships they are considering you for.

soonyrawks
04-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Hey think independently, I guess the email also counts. But i got it together with a letter. But I'm not studying law. I'm doing DDP in Chem Engineering and Accountancy.

Anyways what time is ur interview tomorrow? Mine's 2.50pm.

pon
04-13-2009, 01:46 PM
i just came back from my interview this morning. from what i gather, about 90-100 students get called for this interview which is to see if you are fit to receive a university level scholarship. these are the merit ones, like GMS, undergrad merit, and one more. there is also a second group of ppl who are shortlisted who are not called for interview. these ppl bypass the interview and are considered for faculty level scholarships only.

if you belong to the first group, then the interview will be a shortlisting for a second interview, where the panel will comprise of deans of schools. from that group, they will award the uni level scholarships. those who do not make it through the interview will be considered for faculty level ones.

candyluminous
04-13-2009, 02:54 PM
i just came back from my interview this morning. from what i gather, about 90-100 students get called for this interview which is to see if you are fit to receive a university level scholarship. these are the merit ones, like GMS, undergrad merit, and one more. there is also a second group of ppl who are shortlisted who are not called for interview. these ppl bypass the interview and are considered for faculty level scholarships only.

if you belong to the first group, then the interview will be a shortlisting for a second interview, where the panel will comprise of deans of schools. from that group, they will award the uni level scholarships. those who do not make it through the interview will be considered for faculty level ones.

hi pon, i just went for my interview today as well (: do you know if we'll be notified if we fail to make it past this interview? and when will we be informed? i forgot to ask them!

studēre
04-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Hi pon and candyluminous,

I think I'm filtered to the faculty scholarship already. Hmms, do you mind sharing your experiences ? Oh and what's the dress code like? Thanks (:

candyluminous
04-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Hi pon and candyluminous,

I think I'm filtered to the faculty scholarship already. Hmms, do you mind sharing your experiences ? Oh and what's the dress code like? Thanks (:

hi (: well, dress code was smart casual (i.e. officewear). i had 4 interviewers - two were nice and two were uh, more evil. haha. the nice ones asked manageable questions that pertained to myself, whereas the stricter ones posed some really tough questions e.g. "how would you reconcile ideology and pragmatism when formulating policies?" yup, the interview lasted for about twenty five minutes in all. and the professors sorta dissuaded me from pursuing my studies overseas, but i guess thats kinda expected huh.

overall, it wasnt an easy interview for me, but i'll just cross my fingers and see how things go. =/

soonyrawks
04-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Hey. I too just came back from the interview. It was mentally torturous because of the array of questions asked and it lasted close to 40 mins. I was in the room with 4 interviewers. They were all pretty ok, if you compare them with the ridiculous PSC and FireFly ones. Anyway, they asked me questions like where do you see yourself in ten years time, why my course of study (chem engine and accountancy), and why not overseas colleges (I got into Imperial College too..). That's the decent part. But after that they started do give general knowledge questions like the indian rojak scandal recently, then about large MNC's not fulfilling their social responsibilities, your take on alternative energy and its feasibility, etc. Also they asked if died drinking milk from NTUC fairprice, then how would the ministry go about investigating? (ie. Same as the rojak stall?)

Then there was this random question on would you join large petroleum company who's embarking on clean energy sources or would you set up your own clean energy firm (like hyflux)? Quite torturous questions. Haha. Very econs and biz. But anyways its over for me. I actually had some fun because it turned out to be more of a discussion rather than an interview. Quite hilarious conversation. But be sure to read up before going. Haha. Wish everybody else luck in the interviews!

droplets
04-14-2009, 01:28 PM
mine is on wed 9 am XD

chicpeas90
04-15-2009, 10:57 AM
hi, i got a law interview this fri (17/4/09) and I also applied for the NUS scholarships. I havent heard anything from the scholarship side though. Does it mean that I have been filtered into the faculty-level scholarships already?

droplets
04-15-2009, 11:13 AM
hi (: well, dress code was smart casual (i.e. officewear). i had 4 interviewers - two were nice and two were uh, more evil. haha. the nice ones asked manageable questions that pertained to myself, whereas the stricter ones posed some really tough questions e.g. "how would you reconcile ideology and pragmatism when formulating policies?" yup, the interview lasted for about twenty five minutes in all. and the professors sorta dissuaded me from pursuing my studies overseas, but i guess thats kinda expected huh.

overall, it wasnt an easy interview for me, but i'll just cross my fingers and see how things go. =/

i jus came back fr my interview, mine was ok le.. i had 3 gentlemen who kept smilling lol they din ask any chim qns either, except for the last qn about working in a big or small company XD

anyway good luck to those who hasnt had their interviews yet! =)

ripepumpkin
04-15-2009, 11:21 AM
hi, i got a law interview this fri (17/4/09) and I also applied for the NUS scholarships. I havent heard anything from the scholarship side though. Does it mean that I have been filtered into the faculty-level scholarships already?

i have a law interview this friday too. applied for business then law, DD. i got a call from nus biz school, which i suppose means that i've been filtered to faculty-level scholarships.

chicpeas90
04-15-2009, 12:42 PM
i have a law interview this friday too. applied for business then law, DD. i got a call from nus biz school, which i suppose means that i've been filtered to faculty-level scholarships.

oh, is your call from nus biz school for the scholarships interview or for the dd interview?

ripepumpkin
04-15-2009, 02:24 PM
oh, is your call from nus biz school for the scholarships interview or for the dd interview?

for the scholarship interview! :rolleyes:

chicpeas90
04-15-2009, 10:01 PM
for the scholarship interview! :rolleyes:

lucky you! congrats.. i wasn called up. i think i have no more chance at the uni-level scholarships already. if u dont mind me asking, what are your grades like?

ripepumpkin
04-15-2009, 10:04 PM
lucky you! congrats.. i wasn called up. i think i have no more chance at the uni-level scholarships already. if u dont mind me asking, what are your grades like?

hey, mine is the nus business school scholarship interview. you applied for law right? maybe they haven't shortlisted law school scholarship people yet. anyway, i took the ib, so its different from you i guess? :) 43 points, if that helps!

KAizen
04-29-2009, 11:44 AM
anyone got any reply for faculty scholarship interviews????

nixus
04-29-2009, 12:29 PM
no!! im still waiting too. i hope they will proceed quickly and notify cos there are other offers we have to consider too!

swirliink
04-29-2009, 06:44 PM
hi i have a pretty decent cca records and i got 7As for my 4H2s and 3H1s.
but no news for any nus scholarship! :( :( all of you gotten email/letters already so means no hope for me.? is it because i applied for dent & med.?

pon
04-29-2009, 08:00 PM
your results are definitely really good, but all the ppl that i know of who were called up for the uni level scholarships were presidents/captains of ccas. you'd probably be considered for faculty level instead. and that would only happen after you are accepted by the faculty. so wait a while longer. :)

nixus
04-30-2009, 08:27 AM
i see. but i have good leadership records too but i wasnt called up for the uni level scholarships.

for those who were called up, what were their grades profile like?

kiasu
04-30-2009, 09:12 AM
I would like to believe that all those shortlisted for the university-level scholarships interviews would have straight As and distinctions like you. What probably sets them apart (from those being offered faculty-level interviews) would be one or more significant national or international achievement ;)

droplets
04-30-2009, 10:32 AM
anyone got any reply for faculty scholarship interviews????

called nus afew days ago, they say they will reply us in late may if we got the scholarship...

soonyrawks
04-30-2009, 03:06 PM
I would like to believe that all those shortlisted for the university-level scholarships interviews would have straight As and distinctions like you. What probably sets them apart (from those being offered faculty-level interviews) would be one or more significant national or international achievement ;)

Er.. I got called up for the university level scholarship interview and I got similar grades as swiirlink.. I've got 7As (H1 GP, Econs and CL, and H2 Phy, Chem, Bio, Maths) and 1B (PW). My CCA records are fine.. but nothing exceptional i guess. Anyways It has been 3 weeks since the interview and they havne't reply me yet. So I guess I didn't get it bahz..

swirliink
04-30-2009, 05:59 PM
im the president of my cca, and i hold one of the main leadership positions in sch and i have 2 ccas one of it student council! sigh sigh sigh no outstanding int achievement though.. only friend of singa LOL. could it be due to the fact tt i applied to dent & med only.?

people on the same boat, lets cry tgtr OH MAN :cool:

shang
04-30-2009, 09:47 PM
anyway, med and dent doesnt give out faculty awards.

however, don't lose hope. each faculty give out awards to peforming students every year. so yup all is not lost =)

soonyrawks
05-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Hey anyone got called down for the 2nd round of the NUS GMS interview? It has been like 3 weeks le still no reply.. Haiz..

kiasu
05-02-2009, 11:39 AM
As far as I am aware, no one has been called the 2nd round of interviews meant for NUS GMS. NUS Merit scholarship and NUS scholarships (they called these university-level scholarships vs the others called faculty scholarships). And if I recalled correctly, last year there was at least one person who went only for the first round (and not second round) and was offered the NUS Merit Scholarship.

kthanksbye
05-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Hi I went down for a second interview for the NUS GMS earlier this week. Had a panel of 5 people (1 provost & 4 deans/vice-deans of various faculties). They asked pretty general questions such as "Tell me about your CCA." and "How can you contribute to the NUS community?" Of course, there were some more specific ones like "What do you think of the Global Engineering Programme?" because I applied for an engineering course, as well as a few current affairs questions (swine flu, AWARE, etc.). Thought I did okay. Here's the email I received from NUS:

NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE GLOBAL MERIT SCHOLARSHIP AWARD

I am pleased to inform you that you have been selected for the 2nd round interview to be considered for the most prestigious scholarship that NUS is offering, the NUS Global Merit Scholarship (NUS GMS) Award.

Your interview has been scheduled on:

Date : 27 APRIL 2009

Time : 01:40 PM

Please arrive at least 20 minutes before the interview.

Venue (Registration) : Office of Admissions, University Hall, Tan Chin Tuan Wing, Level Lower Ground, 21 Lower Kent Ridge Road, Singapore 119077

(http://www.nus.edu.sg/campusmap/)

You would be happy to know that you have been selected from more than 2000 outstanding applications for the scholarships that we intend to award. While we were pleasantly surprised by the enthusiastic response, it also means that you have been selected from an extremely competitive pool of candidates, all of whom had an excellent record of academic and co-curricular achievements.

The NUS GMS panel hopes to identify students who have a genuine interest in venturing beyond the classroom and contributing meaningfully to the life of the NUS community. I am confident you will find the 2nd round interview challenging and refreshing.

KAizen
05-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Anyone got faculty level scholarships interview? or any offer wadsoeva?? thanks!

iceshiel
05-16-2009, 02:49 PM
i recently received a rejection letter regarding nus undergrad scholarship. however, i dont remember ever applying for one!

i only applied to NUS USP. have i been rejected for USP?

kthanksbye
05-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Anyone got faculty level scholarships interview? or any offer wadsoeva?? thanks!

Yea I received an offer for the Global Merit Scholarship in early May.

faith-ed
05-16-2009, 10:06 PM
any idea whn is the latest tht they will let us knw the applicatn results? :)

kthanksbye
05-16-2009, 10:17 PM
They told me before my final interview that they will notify applicants of their outcomes by the end of May.

KAizen
05-17-2009, 11:46 PM
They told me before my final interview that they will notify applicants of their outcomes by the end of May.

So is there another interview (i.e. for faculty level awards) for those who ddin't even get called up for any uni-lvl scholarship interviews?

kthanksbye
05-18-2009, 05:40 PM
So is there another interview (i.e. for faculty level awards) for those who ddin't even get called up for any uni-lvl scholarship interviews?

Faculty level scholarships have only 1 round of selection I think. At least that's what the engineering professors told me.

NX-01
05-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Has anyone receive any offers for faculty scholarships/awards? Its been 1 month since my interview and have not heard any news from them. Do they even send rejection letters?

KAizen
05-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Has anyone receive any offers for faculty scholarships/awards? Its been 1 month since my interview and have not heard any news from them. Do they even send rejection letters?

so which means that the interview for faculty scholarships and awards is already over?

kiasu
05-19-2009, 12:43 PM
so which means that the interview for faculty scholarships and awards is already over?

The interviews, for both university-level and faculty, were from mid-April to end April and so, yes, the interviews are all over by now.

The results should be released end May; some like kthanksbye already received an offer of the NUS GMS. ;)

candyluminous
05-21-2009, 03:57 PM
hi, i've a few questions to ask -

i went for the NUS Global Merit Scholarship interview a few weeks back but did not manage to attain the scholarship in the end. i have gleaned from online information that i will automatically be considered for the faculty scholarships and awards without any other reapplication processes - is this true? also, will i be considered for these awards only after i accept my place at NUS (FASS) via the online portal?

has anyone, who is in the same situation as i am, heard anything from the various faculties regarding the faculty awards and scholarships yet? (:

thanks! :D

pinkyvoodo
05-22-2009, 10:15 AM
The interviews, for both university-level and faculty, were from mid-April to end April and so, yes, the interviews are all over by now.

The results should be released end May; some like kthanksbye already received an offer of the NUS GMS. ;)

Really? I'm quite upset now that I've not even obtained a NUS faculty scholarship interview when I had been given a NTU scholarship interview. Lol I thought it'll be the other way round initially!

billthegeek
05-23-2009, 12:25 AM
I'm having a faculty scholarship slated to be held on the first week of June... The reason for the late date was because of my busy training schedule in national service.

However, the uni acceptance dateline is 1st June and I'm still undecided on whether to go NTU or NUS. My choice of uni will depend on which scholarship I get; I need a scholarship as my family isn't rich. I'll be attending the ntu CN yang scholarship interview on 26 may and the ntu professor said that the results of the interview will be known 1 or 2 days later.

So my problem is: can we make arrangement to accept the uni offer later than 1 june? :confused:

NX-01
05-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Yay! Just got the e-mail stating that I got the faculty award. However, I was quite dissapointed as I thought I could get the Faculty scholarship :(

Razgriz
05-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi guys!

I have this question in mind:

Would I be allowed / considered for 'better' NUS scholarships in year 2 if I have done well (Academic, CCAs, etc) in year 1? Currently, I have been offered the NUS Faculty Award from NUS Business School. :)

It's something along the line of 'upgrading' the scholarship.

faith-ed
05-24-2009, 01:19 AM
Yay! Just got the e-mail stating that I got the faculty award. However, I was quite dissapointed as I thought I could get the Faculty scholarship :(

woww they decided on the faculty award alr? cos today whn i asked the prof she said the faculty scholarship has been decided but not yet for the faculty award. but i gt no news for both =xx

fauxfire
06-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Hi all! Got 2 questions here, hope i can get some answers :)

1. I've applied for the NUS Undergrad Merit Scholarship last year, but i didn't receive any news regarding it ever since, so i take to be that i was rejected. So if i were to apply for it again in 2011 (i'm an NSF now, gonna ORD this dec), are my chances lower cos of various reasons, for example they'll prioritise the pple who just took their 'A' Levels at the end of this year?

2. I've got a place in NUS FOS, gonna take up Life Sciences. Is it true that people who have had taken up internships or attachments at A*STAR or any other Science-related institutions stand a better chance at getting the scholarship? If it is, is it possible for a just-ORD person like me to be offered any internships at all at the end of this year?

:)

boredgenius
07-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Hey guys, just to check. If I'm matriculating this year, and missed the application for the NUS scholarship, what can I do?

Should I try for an external scholarship, wait for the application for NUS next year, or will there be a mid-year scholarship that I can apply for?

TIA, any help will be appreciated.

Ashearo
07-19-2010, 05:59 AM
Hey guys, just to check. If I'm matriculating this year, and missed the application for the NUS scholarship, what can I do?

Should I try for an external scholarship, wait for the application for NUS next year, or will there be a mid-year scholarship that I can apply for?

TIA, any help will be appreciated.

You can try for an external scholarship but most of them are already closed. You can try for the mid-term scholarships but you have to check when they are open and you must also do well enough (High CAP/GPA).

boredgenius
07-20-2010, 12:20 AM
You can try for an external scholarship but most of them are already closed. You can try for the mid-term scholarships but you have to check when they are open and you must also do well enough (High CAP/GPA).

Oh okay. Thank you :):):)

aremeys
04-25-2011, 11:16 AM
hi guys

I was shortlisted for the nus scholarships (faculty level). Does this mean that I am no longer considered or have a chance at the university level ones?

Thanks!