PDA

View Full Version : SMU Scholarships

ripepumpkin
04-13-2009, 02:14 PM
hi, i applied for smu scholarships, but couple of days ago, when i logged on the online facility, and clicked on 'smu scholarship applications', it said 'no application'. before that, the page did indicate scholarships which i applied for. is this happening to anyone else?

bubbly
04-13-2009, 06:03 PM
yup. mine's the same case as well.

hosannapraisegod
04-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Yes the 'no application' appeared on my status check a couple days after 8th April (SMU application deadline), but the last I checked somewhere this evening the SMU scholarships applied for re-appeared. :)

Resurgency
04-20-2009, 07:30 PM
anybody got called up to the interview?

taugei
04-23-2009, 11:13 PM
i had my scholarship interview on 21st apr. no replies after that..

exist90
05-01-2009, 01:37 PM
hi, wonderin if any of u who had the 'no application' thing on the online facility were called for scholarship interview? i had the same thing too n no calls. :(
________
Alaska medical marijuana dispensaries (http://alaska.dispensaries.org/)

lette
05-01-2009, 08:21 PM
hi im wondering if the smu scholarship process is still ongoing?

taugei
05-01-2009, 11:50 PM
hey i think if your smu application reads "no application" its best to check it out :)

and I think the application process is still ongoing. they offered me the scholarship bt want me to decide by 1st week of may. I'm sure they have others on their list which they want to offer it too.

chicpeas90
05-02-2009, 09:12 PM
hey i think if your smu application reads "no application" its best to check it out :)

and I think the application process is still ongoing. they offered me the scholarship bt want me to decide by 1st week of may. I'm sure they have others on their list which they want to offer it too.

hi, what course did u apply for?

I received my acceptance for nus law... but there was no mention about scholarships on my acceptance. does it mean that i have been rejected for scholarships?

thanks (:

colours
05-02-2009, 11:02 PM

I received my acceptance for nus law... but there was no mention about scholarships on my acceptance. does it mean that i have been rejected for scholarships?

thanks (:

You know you are accepted to NUS law so quickly????? or do you mean SMU? since you are on the SMU thread.

onionhead
05-03-2009, 02:25 PM

congrats on your offer! what course were you accepted into? also, may i know what were your grades?

taugei
05-03-2009, 03:33 PM

thanks (:

I applied for smu econs. and they will call you for a scholarship interview if you're shortlisted. the results of the scholarship interview doesn't come with acceptance letter. my letter came on thursday and i got my call the following tuesday.

taugei
05-03-2009, 03:35 PM
congrats on your offer! what course were you accepted into? also, may i know what were your grades?

my grades are aaa/b gp b. I tink its enough to meet the cutoff. after that its cca and interview..

onionhead
05-03-2009, 03:56 PM
ooooh.. did you have strong cca? leadership post or anything?

may i know why u chose smu econs? what do you intend to be with the degree?

chicpeas90
05-03-2009, 07:22 PM
I applied for smu econs. and they will call you for a scholarship interview if you're shortlisted. the results of the scholarship interview doesn't come with acceptance letter. my letter came on thursday and i got my call the following tuesday.

thanks for the info (: all the best!

chicpeas90
05-09-2009, 11:17 PM
hi has anyone who got offered law recieve a scholarship offer yet?:)

rockinik
05-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Wow... i just got my acceptance for the scholarship.... haha.
This is LATE!

illusions
05-15-2009, 12:22 AM
Wow... i just got my acceptance for the scholarship.... haha.
This is LATE!

hey. congrats on the scholarship offer! can i ask how they contacted you? did they call u or did u receive the news through snail mail. i dun think i have much of a chance already. sure would help in deciding where to go though. haha.

rockinik
05-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Neither! I was contacted by an e-mail...

Today is like the deadline for me to accept the offer... which i am! =) did you come for the interview 2-3 weeks ago?

onionhead
05-16-2009, 10:40 AM
yea man. don think i got a chance either. damn.

anyways, mind sharing your results? you got accepted into law? did you accept your course before they offered you the scholarship or after?

pon
05-16-2009, 11:30 AM
i got accepted to law and have been given the smu scholarship.

rockinik
05-16-2009, 11:34 PM
yea man. don think i got a chance either. damn.

anyways, mind sharing your results? you got accepted into law? did you accept your course before they offered you the scholarship or after?

I got AAA for PCM and B for H1 econs.. AAfor GP, PW too... Nope i applied for biz+info sys... Nope i dint accept my course... i accepted it after i got the scholarship...

onionhead
05-17-2009, 12:20 AM
i got accepted to law and have been given the smu scholarship.

mind sharing your grades? did you accept the course first? when did you get the call/email?

onionhead
05-17-2009, 12:24 AM
I got AAA for PCM and B for H1 econs.. AAfor GP, PW too... Nope i applied for biz+info sys... Nope i dint accept my course... i accepted it after i got the scholarship...

oooh. icic.. congrats congrats.. still crossing my fingers man!

pon
05-17-2009, 05:06 PM
As for 4 H2 subjects, A for GP, B for pw and chinese. I got into law and accountancy ddp. No didnt accept, in fact they called me down for interview before offering admission. About a week after the interview they called and emailed to tell me which scholarship i was awarded.

onionhead
05-19-2009, 09:27 PM
ooh! was under the impression that we will be assessed for scholarship when we go for the interview for admission...

keanevin
05-29-2009, 11:10 AM
ooh! was under the impression that we will be assessed for scholarship when we go for the interview for admission...

That might be true! because I was offered a scholarship w/o any scholarship interview... But when I went for my faculty interview, I asked the professors about whether it was a combined interview for SMU scholarship and they said that I had to go for a separate interview for scholarship if I was shortlisted. Yup.

So I'm not really sure of how they do it. And I guess if you weren't called down for scholarship interview, it may not mean that you wont get a scholarship? Yup, so keep your phones on! and check your email regularly (spam mail too)

onionhead
05-30-2009, 03:08 PM
That might be true! because I was offered a scholarship w/o any scholarship interview... But when I went for my faculty interview, I asked the professors about whether it was a combined interview for SMU scholarship and they said that I had to go for a separate interview for scholarship if I was shortlisted. Yup.

So I'm not really sure of how they do it. And I guess if you weren't called down for scholarship interview, it may not mean that you wont get a scholarship? Yup, so keep your phones on! and check your email regularly (spam mail too)

OOOH! cool.. but not getting my hopes up high though. to me, if they were to offer, they would have offered. hah. mind sharing what faculty you gg to?

keanevin
05-30-2009, 04:47 PM
OOOH! cool.. but not getting my hopes up high though. to me, if they were to offer, they would have offered. hah. mind sharing what faculty you gg to?

SMU school of social science (: good luck anyw.

bluewingz
05-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Are there any SMU applicants still receiving calls of offer of scholarships by SMU? Please tag here so that we know that they are still contacting applicants regarding scholarships (even after 1 june), efforts much appreciated:)

christine
05-30-2009, 11:29 PM
i have received the call of offering schlarship on 28 May.

if the scholar has fialed to meet the GPA for mantenance of the scholarship, has the schlar need to payback the tuition fee plus the 5% interest?

sprightbarks
05-31-2009, 12:59 AM
is everyone here who has been offered a scholarship matriculating/entering smu this year? i'm asking to find out because i received an unspecified call, which i strongly believe is from smu due to the prefix, during my bmt field camp about 3 weeks ago. emailed both the admission and enquiry departments that weekend to ascertain the nature of the call but have yet to receive a reply. and it's almost 1 june >.< i'm wondering if the call pertained to a scholarship as that would greatly influence my decision as to which uni offer i should accept..

however if scholarships are only awarded to students in their respective years of enrolment then i would be worrying unduly as my admit term is in 2011. the call could very well have been about the course offer or the tea session cum briefing. but right now i'm rather panicky and i'm booking in tmrw so i hope someone could help me out here!! (thanks!)

of course, i'm stupid for not having called them back to find out. gah.

keanevin
05-31-2009, 12:13 PM
i have received the call of offering schlarship on 28 May.

if the scholar has fialed to meet the GPA for mantenance of the scholarship, has the schlar need to payback the tuition fee plus the 5% interest?

Hi Christine, that's what the scholarship agreement states. And also the amount reimbursed for your notebook, as for the SMU scholarship. It sounds daunting, dosen't it? For the NUS's faculty scholarship, the agreement states that scholars do not need to pay back the amount given if the scholarship was terminated due to unsatisfactory GPA.

HOWEVER, that being said, the SMU scholarship agreement states that the scholar may be required to do that, at the discretion of the dean/dean of students. I think it would make sense to include that in the scholarship agreement since if it's stated that scholars do not need to pay it back if their GPA is unsatisfactory, people can simply accept the scholarship, party all day, do horribly and let the scholarship be terminated- afterall they don't have to pay anything back right? So it really makes sense for the university to decide at discretion if the scholar has to repay the sum imbursed should he/she not meet the GPA requirements.

Personally, I don't think the university would make the scholar pay if he/she really worked hard, but simply couldn't make the requirements. But of course, if a student is awarded the scholarship, I don't think this will be the case, since a student must have certain high calibre to be even offered the scholarship.

Hope this helped! I don't think the GPA requirement should be what's preventing you from taking the scholarship?

keanevin
05-31-2009, 12:17 PM
is everyone here who has been offered a scholarship matriculating/entering smu this year? i'm asking to find out because i received an unspecified call, which i strongly believe is from smu due to the prefix, during my bmt field camp about 3 weeks ago. emailed both the admission and enquiry departments that weekend to ascertain the nature of the call but have yet to receive a reply. and it's almost 1 june >.< i'm wondering if the call pertained to a scholarship as that would greatly influence my decision as to which uni offer i should accept..

however if scholarships are only awarded to students in their respective years of enrolment then i would be worrying unduly as my admit term is in 2011. the call could very well have been about the course offer or the tea session cum briefing. but right now i'm rather panicky and i'm booking in tmrw so i hope someone could help me out here!! (thanks!)

of course, i'm stupid for not having called them back to find out. gah.

Hello sprightbarks, oh no, you should really have called them. SMU people are very nice to talk to (as compared to NUS and NTU, haha). Try to call them tomorrow or something? As for the scholarships, I think they're awarded to a student in the year they apply. As in, if you re-apply next year, you'll be considered for scholarship again that year? That's what I think. Please correct me if I'm wrong (:

Good luck anyway! But I think you should call them. Even if it's after 1st June!

christine
06-01-2009, 03:22 PM
hi Keanevin, thanks for your reply...

For whatever reasons, if the scholar has met the GPA in the first two years but failed to meet the GPA in the 3rd year of studies, does it means the scholar has to payback a total of 3 years scholarship amount plus compounded interest OR just the 3rd year scholarship amount (with the interest)?

rockinik
06-01-2009, 09:13 PM

For whatever reasons, if the scholar has met the GPA in the first two years but failed to meet the GPA in the 3rd year of studies, does it means the scholar has to payback a total of 3 years scholarship amount plus compounded interest OR just the 3rd year scholarship amount (with the interest)?

That sounds scary.... you got the scholarship too? I dont think they'll ask us to payback... I mean unless you really show that you dont give a damn and get a GPA of like less than 2, they shouldnt.. they just wanna insert that clause to get those who outrageously exploit the system and make bad use of the scholarship..

When i went to the scholarship interview, the 'head' actually joked and said that of you dont wanna keep the scholarship (in order to like transfer uni or something) and you dont wanna pay up, you can flunk your exams and let us kick you out...

SO i seriously doubt that they will charge us... UNLESS you really exploit the system outrageously... I mean if I get a GPA of 3.0 and they ask me to pay up, ill probabaly sue them. LOL. =)

P.S-- I AM SO DAMN EXCITED ABOUT SMU! HOPE ITS FUN!

keanevin
06-02-2009, 12:00 PM

Haha, from what I interpreted from the agreement, it's the TOTAL amount given to you whatever it's for, plus interest. But as rockinik and I said, I don't think they'll ask you to pay if you put in hard work and effort, etc.

rockinik: I'm excited about SMU too! Which school are you going? I'm going to sch of soc sci. (:

christine
06-02-2009, 01:34 PM
i dont think we can sue them since this clause is inside the agreement and you have signed it.

christine
06-02-2009, 01:39 PM
i think it is not fair to pay the 3 years total amount if i really hard work in the first two years and have met the required GPA, but failed to met in the 3rd year.

prismz
06-02-2009, 07:44 PM
hey.. anyone knows the ranking of smu scholarships (in terms of prestige maybe) for like: smu scholarship, smu merit award, sch of _ (faculty) scholarship? thanks :)

rockinik
06-03-2009, 01:26 PM
rockinik: I'm excited about SMU too! Which school are you going? I'm going to sch of soc sci. (:

I'm going for business and info sys! hey you're from SAJC? i was there during my first 3 months (or was i weeks?)... did you get the SMU scholarship too?

Christine -- i was kidding about the sue- part. haha. DOH!

yeah.. dont worry i seriously doubt they'll make you pay... btw, are you the christine from the LKCSP interview thing? from the george washinton group?

rockinik
06-03-2009, 01:37 PM
----IN MY HUMBLE OPINION----

if you are doing business + taking a double degree, you qualify for the Lee Kong Chian Scholarship Programme... for which you hold sort of a 1 in 10 chance if you qualify the grade requirements (3 H2 As and B in GP - minimum)... that, in my opinion if the MOST prestigious in SMU...

For everyone else (who is not doing business and/or not taking a double degree), its the SMU scholarship thats the most prestigious... it also offers the most in monetary terms -- up to 60k for locals and 80k for foreigners...

you can still get the SMU scholarship if you are doing biz and a double degree... the SMU scholarship is the second most prestigious for BIZ double degree students...

I dont know much about the other faculty scholarships or the 'non-freshmen' scholarships... yupp..

Hope this helps!

Cheers! =)

prismz
06-03-2009, 05:08 PM
thanks rocknik ;)

christine
06-03-2009, 08:50 PM
No. i am not that christine...

Actually i did not apply any scholarship in SMU, but be offered SMU schoarship without any interview. is anybody the same case like me ?

isaac
06-03-2009, 10:32 PM
No. i am not that christine...

Actually i did not apply any scholarship in SMU, but be offered SMU schoarship without any interview. is anybody the same case like me ?

Did they send you a letter telling you you've got the scholarship?

christine
06-04-2009, 01:46 PM
No, i received a call and email which attached with the scholarship agreement and DCA form. why?

isaac
06-04-2009, 02:09 PM
No, i received a call and email which attached with the scholarship agreement and DCA form. why?

cuz i didnt get it lol

Wormygal
06-08-2009, 11:15 PM
hi guys just like to ask a qs... i just got offered ara asset management scholarship and i m wondering if this means i do not stand any chance to get the smu scholarship already? cos i did not apply for this, n i was wonderin is it cos i was filtered off my choices alrdy?

rockinik
06-09-2009, 09:42 PM
hi guys just like to ask a qs... i just got offered ara asset management scholarship and i m wondering if this means i do not stand any chance to get the smu scholarship already? cos i did not apply for this, n i was wonderin is it cos i was filtered off my choices alrdy?

sounds possible.. I dont think they'll offer you another scholarship after they've offered you one already... but hey... the scholarship is like as good as the SMU scholarship! except for the computer thing....

Wormygal
06-10-2009, 07:28 PM
hi... thnx... i callled them n enquired... yup... the allowance is good, but they dun cover tuition fees unlike the smu scholarship... ah well, i shall have to think of a way to cover my tuition fees then... fees is real hefty...

onionhead
06-11-2009, 07:17 PM
i totally agree!! uni fees are really really hefty.. especially when my bro and i are going uni together!!!!! ):

Zachary
06-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Does anyone knows about the $3k laptop grant?

Are we allowed to purchase accessories and insurance alongside the laptop unit?

keanevin
06-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Does anyone knows about the $3k laptop grant?

Are we allowed to purchase accessories and insurance alongside the laptop unit?

From what I know, we have to purchase the laptop from SMU's PC tender. You can get details here: http://www.smu.edu.sg/matriculation/2009/service_notebook.asp

If we purchase from SMU's PC tender, we get 3 years of warranty. As for accessories and 'insurance' as you said, I'm not very sure!

Hope this helped.

rockinik
06-23-2009, 03:06 PM
yeah... i was totally planning to buy a Mac but they dont allow us to use the money for that... we just have a choice from like 5-6 laptops but i think they're pretty decent ones....

onionhead
06-23-2009, 11:50 PM
what coms would you guys be getting? was thinking of getting the tablet.. but the batt life aint v good. and its pretty heavy as well..

rockinik
06-24-2009, 11:50 AM
yeah but i still think ill get the tablet... will they pay for all the accessories too? like if i wanna upgrade the screen size and and stuff and maybe add another battery... (as long as the price stays below $3k)

Zachary
06-24-2009, 09:19 PM
I'll go for either the X200 or the S6250.

Don't think i'll have much use for a tablet.

Yea, i'm wondering about the grant too. Will they allow us to buy 2 laptops and claim up to $3k? haha

smiles
06-24-2009, 11:28 PM
hi just a question regarding the laptops. do we send the order form directly or do we like buy on the id day? thanks!

rockinik
06-25-2009, 07:13 PM
I'll go for either the X200 or the S6250.

Don't think i'll have much use for a tablet.

Yea, i'm wondering about the grant too. Will they allow us to buy 2 laptops and claim up to $3k? haha

But the webbie says the tablet will be used for class stuff so why not! i mean it has all the features of a notebook PLUS other stuff rite.? and not like you're paying for the extra features... haha..

chezar
03-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Hey there,
I've just got called up for a school of econs scholarship interview.
Izzit equivalent to the smu scholar.? Since I did indicate smu scholar. as first choice and econs as first choice for courses, although i applied ddp econs and acct.
Anw, anybody out there knows how's the interview is like?
Pls enlighten, thanx. :)

vanessasia
04-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Hello!

Has anyone had experience w smu's interview fr scholarship? This interview is held in apr, unlike th one in march. Hope someone can share some of th
questions posed/hw many at th panels and will it be one to one or a group interview?/:

Thank you in advance ^^

Irenicis
04-10-2010, 06:24 PM
the "no application" thingy is back again!!! :(

chasingpavements
04-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Hello!

Has anyone had experience w smu's interview fr scholarship? This interview is held in apr, unlike th one in march. Hope someone can share some of th
questions posed/hw many at th panels and will it be one to one or a group interview?/:

Thank you in advance ^^

hey (: smu is really nice cos they put your scholarship interview together with your admission interview. you should receive an email asking you to go for an admission interview cum scholarship interview. the questions they ask really depends on your CV. because for mine, they basically asked me about stuff i did. my interview was with a dean and a professor and i was alone. im not sure about the applicability of this across the schools though. i know that for accountancy (the one i went for), i was supposed to be the only interviewee so im not sure for other courses for business. yupp (: have they contacted you to head down for an admission interview?

Shaynikins
04-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Anyone going for the LCKSB Scholarship briefing next Monday?

chezar
04-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Anyone going for the LCKSB Scholarship briefing next Monday?

hi, has anyone out there got the smu scholarship yet?

hi, shaynikins, u got the LCKSB scholarship alr?

Shaynikins
04-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Nope, the briefing is meant to enlighten us on what they are expecting out of the scholarship interviews. The actual interviews will only be conducted on either thursday or friday.

nineteen
04-18-2010, 10:08 AM
yup i got the email too. still wondering if i should go...will it really be helpful? cause I still have work tmr :/

Zachary
04-18-2010, 12:57 PM
yup i got the email too. still wondering if i should go...will it really be helpful? cause I still have work tmr :/

I think it will be useful as the dean will probably share on his expectations of candidates. Afterall, it Is only a 1 hr session i believe?

Shaynikins
04-18-2010, 03:37 PM
I have no idea how long the session will last but I believe it will be helpful for us, like what Zachary has mentioned. There is some transparency to what they expect from us to a certain extent. I would say go and check it out because scholarships (especially for me) plays a major part in my final decision of university.

It doesn't hurt to check it out, even if you are not interested because it gives you a better insight on their expectations.

My friend is also working but he took half day off for it.

chasingpavements
04-18-2010, 07:14 PM
hey (: i'm going too ! anyway, does this mean we're shortlisted for the interview or did they send the email to everyone who applied?

Shaynikins
04-18-2010, 08:50 PM
I have no idea. Thing is, I received the email before my interview happened.

On the email, it states LKCSB Scholarship and I went on to read about it. It mentioned about us having to take on a double degree in order to be eligible for it but I have friends who only applied for a single degree and were called up for it as well.

Another friend told me that the briefing is for all the scholarships, with LKCSB being the most prestigious one.

I'm pretty confused now. But I'm going just to see what it's all about.

chasingpavements
04-18-2010, 09:09 PM
wow that sounds confusing. oh well we'll see tmr. you'll be going with your friends? (:

Shaynikins
04-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Yeap. I have a few friends who received the email too.

How about you?

chasingpavements
04-19-2010, 09:12 AM
haha my friends aren't that interested in SMU and double degrees, so guess i'll be going alone (: anyway, if they invited people who applied for single degrees, it may be to encourage them to take up a double degree should they get offered the lkc scholarship (:

nineteen
04-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks for telling me to go today. hahaha didnt really regret actually (: asked a few questions and I'm probably going smu instead of NBS. haha my interview is on the 22nd (: hope to see you guys there! :D

I'm actually looking forward to it since it's not like the usual interview style (:

Shaynikins
04-19-2010, 11:09 PM
HAHAHA. My interview is on the 22nd as well! Long process eh? Runs for like around 10 hours? Insane, but I'm kinda looking forward to it. Sounds like it would be a pretty eventful day from how they described it earlier on.

I'm contemplating on SMU as well now.

Tencharacters
04-20-2010, 08:24 AM
HAHAHA. My interview is on the 22nd as well! Long process eh? Runs for like around 10 hours? Insane, but I'm kinda looking forward to it. Sounds like it would be a pretty eventful day from how they described it earlier on.

I'm contemplating on SMU as well now.

:D
Just remember (for the LKC SShp) to stay on your feet and don't be taken aback by anything random. Haha. All the best!

Shaynikins
04-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Hi tencharacters,

Thanks for the advice. Will definitely take that into consideration.

Did you happen to undergo the same scholarship process as well? I know last year's one they actually had the applicants to come up with a presentation and at the very last minute, they made them switch their presentations around - making them present others' work instead.

Anyhow, I'm still pretty ecstatic about the whole thing cause it's kinda different and refreshing.

Tencharacters
04-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Hi tencharacters,

Thanks for the advice. Will definitely take that into consideration.

Did you happen to undergo the same scholarship process as well? I know last year's one they actually had the applicants to come up with a presentation and at the very last minute, they made them switch their presentations around - making them present others' work instead.

Anyhow, I'm still pretty ecstatic about the whole thing cause it's kinda different and refreshing.

I just received my "A" Levels Results this year. I have 2 friends who went for it. Both were offered. And both had the same reaction: "FREAKING RANDOM INTERVIEW" (1 got it last year, 1 got it from Early Cycle)

Well, from what I know, they had interviewees seated in isolated chairs and professors, deans and students walking around asking them the most random question on Earth and wanting to hear your reply. Just stay firm and calm :D

Anyway, are there enlisted/enlisting guys at the briefing? And was the briefing really about all types of scholarships?
I wasn't even informed to go. Haha :X (Applied for SMU scholarship)

Shaynikins
04-20-2010, 10:40 PM
It was conducted by the School of Biz. As long as you applied for their programmes (single or DDP) and meet their cutoffs; 3As (JC) and 3.8 (Poly), they will call you up. They basically covered for all the scholarships under their care so if you applied for SMU Scholarship, you will not be called.

I'm quite excited. Probably will be a trainwreck on that day but I will see how it goes! Thanks for the information though.

Btw, were your friends girls or international students? Cause I believe that scholarships for SMU will only be offered in the year you are matriculating.

Tencharacters
04-21-2010, 08:07 AM
It was conducted by the School of Biz. As long as you applied for their programmes (single or DDP) and meet their cutoffs; 3As (JC) and 3.8 (Poly), they will call you up. They basically covered for all the scholarships under their care so if you applied for SMU Scholarship, you will not be called.

I'm quite excited. Probably will be a trainwreck on that day but I will see how it goes! Thanks for the information though.

Btw, were your friends girls or international students? Cause I believe that scholarships for SMU will only be offered in the year you are matriculating.

Oh, thanks :D
The one who applied for early cycle is a girl (she rejected it for overseas uni.). The other is already in his 3rd year at SMU. haha.

Muffin
04-25-2010, 01:58 AM
So for those who went last week, how did the interview go?

mystikboy
04-26-2010, 07:11 AM
Hey guys, mind helping out a newbie here?

i went for my SMU biz interview on 12th April (monday) and
on the 18th April (Sunday), i received a letter notifying me that i've been accepted into SMU double degree programme (biz + Soc Sci)

Yet i've not received any news at all regarding the scholarships, *of which i applied for the LKC one*

may i know if anyone can tell me whether no news = bad news? or are they staggering the batches/giving the people who are alr studying in SMU or matriculating this year the priority?

quite worried as i really want the scholarship =/

thanks for all ur help =)

Irenicis
04-26-2010, 07:23 PM

who doesnt want the scholarship?

Muffin
04-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Hey guys, mind helping out a newbie here?

i went for my SMU biz interview on 12th April (monday) and
on the 18th April (Sunday), i received a letter notifying me that i've been accepted into SMU double degree programme (biz + Soc Sci)

Yet i've not received any news at all regarding the scholarships, *of which i applied for the LKC one*

may i know if anyone can tell me whether no news = bad news? or are they staggering the batches/giving the people who are alr studying in SMU or matriculating this year the priority?

thanks for all ur help =)

Well, judging from your nick, you're a boy. And from what I heard, the guys had their LKCSP interviews in Feb already. The recent one was for the girls + international boys + boys who couldnt make it in Feb. So, its for you to decide if that's bad news :)

Irenicis
04-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Well, judging from your nick, you're a boy. And from what I heard, the guys had their LKCSP interviews in Feb already. The recent one was for the girls + international boys + boys who couldnt make it in Feb. So, its for you to decide if that's bad news :)

+ boys who didnt not apply before Feb haha

mystikboy
04-26-2010, 11:18 PM
+ boys who didnt not apply before Feb haha

haha i guess i fall into that category.
yeah i heard from my friends that there was a briefing last monday.
oh wells. i guess i'm not good enough then.
does anyone know if i'm able to apply next year?

Thanks =)

school
04-26-2010, 11:23 PM
haha i guess i fall into that category.
yeah i heard from my friends that there was a briefing last monday.
oh wells. i guess i'm not good enough then.
does anyone know if i'm able to apply next year?

Thanks =)

which course did you apply for? because some courses' interview dates were like 16th april.. doesn't having the scholarship thing on 19th seem abit too rushed?

mystikboy
04-27-2010, 05:30 AM
but i had my interview on 12th and acceptance on the 18th.

and besides, i think they only have 1 slot, 2 at the most for briefings such as these. cant possibly cater to people and organize another briefing just because its a little rush i guess? i really don't know =/

chasingpavements
04-27-2010, 09:29 AM
hey, has anyone been contacted by lkc for the second round?

Shaynikins
04-27-2010, 01:08 PM
I haven't and doubt I will get called up afterall. Gruelling process eh?

Did you?

mystikboy
04-27-2010, 05:24 PM
referring to the april round? apparently there was a feb round
it seems they have been notified for briefing/scholarship alr.

chasingpavements
04-28-2010, 07:21 PM
I haven't and doubt I will get called up afterall. Gruelling process eh?

Did you?

nope, didnt ): the second round was supposed to be yesterday and today right! oh well. haha i actually thought the process was not that bad. guess i expected worse (:

mystikboy
04-28-2010, 09:27 PM
oh wells. anyone knows if there is still hope? :(

how long do they spend processing scholarships?
i emailed them and they replied that they are still doing so o.o

Irenicis
05-12-2010, 09:48 PM
anyone updates on the scholarship people?

hiddencrypto
05-14-2010, 02:33 PM
anyone knows anything about this ? when is the "deadline" to know that you are not shortlisted ? :confused::(

gumm3rz
05-14-2010, 11:49 PM
hey guys i think there's still chance. from what I know, they should be releasing a second round of scholarship offers after 17 may.

Irenicis
05-15-2010, 10:49 PM
hey guys i think there's still chance. from what I know, they should be releasing a second round of scholarship offers after 17 may.

did the office of admission inform you of this? just trying to find out if this is credible info :p

gumm3rz
05-16-2010, 09:43 AM
did the office of admission inform you of this? just trying to find out if this is credible info :p

well kinda...coz I wanted to extend the scholarship offer(sry to keep u guys waiting for replies),then the admission officer said that they can't do it coz there's a second batch of students waiting...haha anw i accepted SMU's ASEAN offer in the end.all the best guys...i'm sure there will be people who reject SMU's offer and go elsewhere

Irenicis
05-16-2010, 11:31 AM
well kinda...coz I wanted to extend the scholarship offer(sry to keep u guys waiting for replies),then the admission officer said that they can't do it coz there's a second batch of students waiting...haha anw i accepted SMU's ASEAN offer in the end.all the best guys...i'm sure there will be people who reject SMU's offer and go elsewhere

Uh, I dont really get that haha, what 2nd batch of students waiting etc. But was there already a first round? Do you mean the people who applied before their A level results were out?

gumm3rz
05-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Uh, I dont really get that haha, what 2nd batch of students waiting etc. But was there already a first round? Do you mean the people who applied before their A level results were out?

yes the "first round" i was referring to was the one that was before the release of A level results.

Irenicis
05-21-2010, 10:37 PM
any news guys?

Irenicis
05-26-2010, 10:10 PM
anyone has received a call from them regarding SMU scholarship?

chezar
05-26-2010, 10:15 PM
anyone has received a call from them regarding SMU scholarship?

Hi,
i think they r still in the midst of calling people. dont think u shld be too worried though. maybe u wanna give the OAM a call?

y0435606
05-27-2010, 05:03 PM
hey guys i think they've started offering the schships now. my interview was on 12th Apr. i got the offer 3days ago. pray hard!

Irenicis
05-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Hi,
i think they r still in the midst of calling people. dont think u shld be too worried though. maybe u wanna give the OAM a call?

i already emailed them >< :(

snore
05-28-2010, 11:06 AM
I know around this time that scholarships would already have been settled.
With intentions to be a SMU student, I can't help but cringe at the high fees. Just had hoped that I was given a chance at scholarships though. ;/

Irenicis
05-28-2010, 03:32 PM
I know around this time that scholarships would already have been settled.
With intentions to be a SMU student, I can't help but cringe at the high fees. Just had hoped that I was given a chance at scholarships though. ;/

did you eventually choose SMU though?

snore
05-29-2010, 11:27 PM
did you eventually choose SMU though?

Yep. So now my option is to do hell well in the first year and see if I have a chance at getting a scholarship ;/

Irenicis
05-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Yep. So now my option is to do hell well in the first year and see if I have a chance at getting a scholarship ;/

yea i guess. Are you going to start school this year?

snore
05-31-2010, 11:10 AM
yea i guess. Are you going to start school this year?

yep in august. how about you?

Irenicis
05-31-2010, 07:06 PM
yep in august. how about you?

haha I've still got 2 years of NS. I guess you've finished NS?

snore
05-31-2010, 07:49 PM
haha I've still got 2 years of NS. I guess you've finished NS?

the last time i checked, girls didn't need to do NS *wink*
well, if i did, i will PHAIL. horribly. lol.

SMU which school?

Irenicis
06-02-2010, 07:10 PM
the last time i checked, girls didn't need to do NS *wink*
well, if i did, i will PHAIL. horribly. lol.

SMU which school?

Economics. How about you?

This means you'll be 2 years my senior in school haha

Irenicis
06-07-2010, 08:46 PM
it's all all over.

mortpenguin
03-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Feel free to discuss the scholarships for 2011! :)

dizzy
03-07-2011, 02:44 AM
hi may i know if i scored AAB/B and B for GP do i still qualify for the scholarships they offer at SMU?

inquisit
03-17-2011, 10:00 AM
HI, i've received a double degree from smu for 2012 from my application last year, however i did not receive any information on any scholarship. Do they expect you to apply for it together with your course application or is the invitation to the scholarship interview an automatic generation by the system based on your grades?

And if i wish to apply for a scholarship this cycle, anyone knows how do i go about applying for it?

twinge
03-30-2011, 11:33 AM
hi everyone,
i applied for a few SMU scholarships together with my application for SMU law school. I've received a notification for an interview with SMU law but still no news from any of the scholarships yet! Has anyone received any replies from any SMU scholarship boards? My first choice was USP@SMU by the way. Thanks! (:

glassfacade
03-30-2011, 02:25 PM
hey guys i need to find out something: are the scholarship applications for SMU already included in the course application? as in is there a separate application like NUS? hope someone can help me with this thanks!

shiro.shiki
04-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Hi twinge, I am a first year student at SMU and under USP. You will be contacted directly by the USP office for a written test and interview, though i don't know when that will be this year.

Glassfacade- you will need to indicate your scholarship choices on your SMU application

Lissy
04-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Hi twinge, I am a first year student at SMU and under USP. You will be contacted directly by the USP office for a written test and interview, though i don't know when that will be this year.

Glassfacade- you will need to indicate your scholarship choices on your SMU application
Hi! Do you mind telling me what kind of questions they ask for the interviews at USP?:) Is it more personal or current affairs based?

shiro.shiki
04-14-2011, 12:08 AM
i got a mix of both :) haha! they asked me about politics, but it's different for everyone. some of my other USP friends got personal questions :)

Lissy
04-14-2011, 09:18 AM
i got a mix of both :) haha! they asked me about politics, but it's different for everyone. some of my other USP friends got personal questions :)
Thanks for sharing:) Was the essay test very important? Afraid that my GP skills is way rusty!

shiro.shiki
04-16-2011, 11:20 AM
I guess they consider both parts equally? The essay came first for me so I think that's where they start to shortlist for the interview. No worries, just write logically and coherently :)

Chinsay
04-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Hi, does anyone here received an email to go down for interview @ SMU on 25 April 2011, 11am to 9pm??

Lissy
04-18-2011, 11:29 PM
I think you are referring to the lee kong chian scholarship interview! It is around ten hours long!

Chinsay
04-19-2011, 08:06 PM
yes!! Does anyone knows how will the interview process be like??

lalorlei
04-22-2011, 11:19 AM
yes!! Does anyone knows how will the interview process be like??

I'm also going down on 25th April. Don't really know what to expect. What can last for 10hrs? Anyone care to share?

linuxenon
04-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Hello!!! Anyone going to the SMU LKC Scholarship day long activity TOMORROW. Need some advice here, cuz i do not know what to expect! Quick reply ASAP!

Lissy
04-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Hello!!! Anyone going to the SMU LKC Scholarship day long activity TOMORROW. Need some advice here, cuz i do not know what to expect! Quick reply ASAP!
I was there today! Haha! How did yours go?

Chinsay
04-23-2011, 09:40 PM
I was there today! Haha! How did yours go?
How was it? Care to share??

Lissy
04-24-2011, 10:04 AM
How was it? Care to share??
It was stressful really! But there's nothing much you can do to prepare because its based on the materials they give you. Hope it helps:)

lalorlei
04-24-2011, 01:20 PM
It was stressful really! But there's nothing much you can do to prepare because its based on the materials they give you. Hope it helps:)

Means u do material discussion for 10 hours?

me.victor
04-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Hey everyone,

Has any of you received news of whether you have been offered a scholarship?

By the way, just to clarify, was the law interview you went for inclusive of the scholarship component or are both the law interview and scholarship interview separate?

Is there any way we can find out whether we have been offered scholarships on the SMU portal?

Lissy
05-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Hey everyone,

Has any of you received news of whether you have been offered a scholarship?

By the way, just to clarify, was the law interview you went for inclusive of the scholarship component or are both the law interview and scholarship interview separate?

Is there any way we can find out whether we have been offered scholarships on the SMU portal?
Yupp! I got LKCSP:) Erm, I was offered on the spot during the second interview so I don't think it reflects on the portal?

me.victor
05-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Yupp! I got LKCSP:) Erm, I was offered on the spot during the second interview so I don't think it reflects on the portal?

there was a second interview? was it just for the scholarship? because based on what I know, there is supposed to be only one interview.

Lissy
05-01-2011, 11:18 PM
there was a second interview? was it just for the scholarship? because based on what I know, there is supposed to be only one interview.
Yupp! Second interview was on thursday that same week! And I got offered on the spot after my interview. They will call you up for second interview supposedly? And during the first session, they did mentioned that there is a second interview and not only the usiness case proposal.

starlight
05-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Yupp! Second interview was on thursday that same week! And I got offered on the spot after my interview. They will call you up for second interview supposedly? And during the first session, they did mentioned that there is a second interview and not only the usiness case proposal.

Hi, if I don't get any call to go down for the 2nd interview, does that mean that I'm not shortlisted for the scholarship?? thxxx :D

Lissy
05-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Not exactly? I think they probably offered all the 50 scholarships already but some will reject it. So when these people reject the scholarship, they start calling people for second interview that next up on the waiting list. The interview was really fast and I'm sure they probably covered all the shortlisted applicants already. Hope I helped and good luck to you:)

me.victor
05-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Not exactly? I think they probably offered all the 50 scholarships already but some will reject it. So when these people reject the scholarship, they start calling people for second interview that next up on the waiting list. The interview was really fast and I'm sure they probably covered all the shortlisted applicants already. Hope I helped and good luck to you:)

are these 50 scholarships for all SMU applicants or just SMU Law applicants alone?

Lissy
05-02-2011, 01:37 PM
are these 50 scholarships for all SMU applicants or just SMU Law applicants alone?
Its 50 LKCSP scholarships given out.I'm not sure about the rest of the scholarships. USP hasn't start giving though as they said they will notify applicants by mid may!

curiosojusto
05-02-2011, 03:42 PM
hey lissy. congrats.

both you and I got 6 distinctions but I didnt get called up for the LKCSP round 2.

But i got called up for sgx.

I think its really -_-ll.

Hmmm..i've been offered DDP for all 3 local Unis. I think I didnt get called up for LKCSP cos my home degree is in accountancy for smu :(

BOO!

Jessica
05-02-2011, 09:36 PM
hey lissy. congrats.

both you and I got 6 distinctions but I didnt get called up for the LKCSP round 2.

But i got called up for sgx.

I think its really -_-ll.

Hmmm..i've been offered DDP for all 3 local Unis. I think I didnt get called up for LKCSP cos my home degree is in accountancy for smu :(

BOO!

Hey dont give up yet haha! My 1st deg is econs and I still got offered! (: i didnt even apply for LKCSP in the first place! D:

curiosojusto
05-02-2011, 09:58 PM
hey jessica. thanks. congratulations btw. when did they say the deadline was for you to accept the lkcsp?

Whats your A level score btw? :)

Lissy
05-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks:) Haha, don't give up! There will be people who rejects LKCSP for medicine/dentistry etc! Anyway, deadline to accept is may 3rd since there is public holiday in between!

curiosojusto
05-03-2011, 11:07 PM
as in 3rd may at 2359hrs?

hmmm. Have no idea when the SMU/NUS scholarship results are gonna be out too.

Thanks Lissy. :) So..SMU for you?

CrownedWG
05-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Hi I was wondering what are my chances of getting a SMU scholarship ( not those prestigious ones like lksb but those common ones) my A level grades were AAA/B GP:B H3 Bio: pass. I have been offered accountancy single degree program frm SMU, but no scholarship news though I went for the scholarship cum admissions interview. If I do not get the scholarship, will I b considered for smaller awards like the SMU merit award even though I did not apply? Your replies are greatly appreciated

sohappyicoulddie
05-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Hi I was wondering what are my chances of getting a SMU scholarship ( not those prestigious ones like lksb but those common ones) my A level grades were AAA/B GP:B H3 Bio: pass. I have been offered accountancy single degree program frm SMU, but no scholarship news though I went for the scholarship cum admissions interview. If I do not get the scholarship, will I b considered for smaller awards like the SMU merit award even though I did not apply? Your replies are greatly appreciated

i went for the scholarship cum admissions interview too but no news about scholarship too. are you a guy or a girl? if you are a guy serving 2 years of NS, the scholarship is only offered to you after you finish your NS

curiosojusto
05-06-2011, 06:58 PM
No news for me too. boo.

If anyone gets it post it here okay..I wonder when results will be revealed.

CrownedWG
05-06-2011, 08:24 PM
i went for the scholarship cum admissions interview too but no news about scholarship too. are you a guy or a girl? if you are a guy serving 2 years of NS, the scholarship is only offered to you after you finish your NS
I am a girl. i just want the apple laptop. so any form of $$ will do:(

Lissy
05-06-2011, 08:56 PM
as in 3rd may at 2359hrs?

hmmm. Have no idea when the SMU/NUS scholarship results are gonna be out too.

Thanks Lissy. :) So..SMU for you?
Haha yup. Going to SMU. Haha! And it was 3rd may at 1200 sharp. Like not even five minutes late!

Krauser
05-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Are all interviews for admission and scholarship?or is it only for those shortlisted and notified of it?

muhd.isa.7
05-07-2011, 02:08 PM
hi,

anyone knows whats the minimum a level grade to get any scholarship in smu? sth that covers tuition fee. my grade is aabb gp a pw a so im afraid that im not good enough to be offered anything at all. i got a place in acc but no news abt scholarship.

thx :)

happysad
05-10-2011, 10:49 AM
hi all, i got a place in smu law and i'm also waiting to hear from the scholarship board! anyone know if the scholarship results are out already? or when do we have to wait until?

curiosojusto
05-11-2011, 03:26 PM
RESULTS ARE OUT!

I got the SMU school of accountancy scholarship!

curiosojusto
05-11-2011, 08:09 PM
eh. I mean..SMU scholars programme. i didnt realise they were two different stuff.

me.victor
05-11-2011, 08:29 PM
congratulations on receiving a scholarship from SMU. from which avenue did you find out that you were accepted? the SMU Self-Service Site or the Joint Application Faculty

nothatitmattered
05-11-2011, 09:09 PM
hey i got the SMU scholars programme offer today too. it was via email at around 2.30pm! :)

flaireflare
05-11-2011, 10:08 PM
hi guys, anyone heard anything from usp?

starlight
05-12-2011, 07:06 AM
oh man. seems like the scholarship results are out :/ does anyone know about the law scholarships??

Tralala
05-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Hey! I was only able to choose 1 scholarship during my application process. Does anyone know that whether this imply I'm only eligible for that particular scholarship? Man, I really need a scholarship!

glassfacade
05-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Hi everyone! I got the offer for SMU law but no news about any scholarship so far; getting worried cos I really need it :(

Any updates? Has anyone who got offered law received any news regarding scholarship?

nothatitmattered
05-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Hi everyone! I got the offer for SMU law but no news about any scholarship so far; getting worried cos I really need it :(

Any updates? Has anyone who got offered law received any news regarding scholarship?

My friend went for the SMU law interview and got her scholarship offer a few days about 2 days after the admissions offer!

flaireflare
05-13-2011, 11:00 PM
really! which scholarship is that? wrt to your law friend.

nothatitmattered
05-14-2011, 12:06 AM
really! which scholarship is that? wrt to your law friend.

SMU school scholar's programme :)

flaireflare
05-14-2011, 12:08 AM

jumphigh
05-14-2011, 12:24 AM
My friend went for the SMU law interview and got her scholarship offer a few days about 2 days after the admissions offer!

So if I haven't gotten any call/email regarding any of smu's scholarships, does it mean i don't stand a chance at all? I didn't know they administer their scholarships so fast! I just accepted smu law yesterday...

CrownedWG
05-14-2011, 05:58 PM
So if I haven't gotten any call/email regarding any of smu's scholarships, does it mean i don't stand a chance at all? I didn't know they administer their scholarships so fast! I just accepted smu law yesterday...

Same situation here but mine is for accountancy. for those who got accountancy scholarship ( except lkc) What were your grades like?

nothatitmattered
05-15-2011, 04:41 PM

not sure thought but i got my offer a week later, perhaps can wait awhile more? :)

nothatitmattered
05-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Same situation here but mine is for accountancy. for those who got accountancy scholarship ( except lkc) What were your grades like?

all As save for GP and H3, yours?:)

CrownedWG
05-16-2011, 04:10 PM
all As save for GP and H3, yours?:)

AAA/B gp:B I am hoping for the smu study award. Really want some sort of "perk". Anyways congrats on the scholarship offer!:)

muhd.isa.7
05-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Hello, anyone knows whether SMU still gives out scholarship or it has stopped already? still waiting to make my choice.
anw, with my grade of aab/baa, do i have a chance of scholarship?
thx

somethingsparkly
05-19-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm really annoyed with SMU because they never pick up their phone!!! ARGH. :mad:

I'm in a very confused state right now because I was recently accepted into the LKCSB (second choice). Went for the Law interview but I didn't get it. :( Anyway, I indicated my interest in the SMU scholarships but have yet to hear any news? To add on, when I went for the Biz tea session I asked one of the staff, and it seems like my grades are good enough to at least qualify me for a scholarship interview of some sort because she said I should have received an email regarding scholarships.. SIGH. Anyone in the same boat/with any advice???

Tralala
05-20-2011, 11:03 AM
I went for an admission cum scholarship interview for accountancy but received no news regarding the scholarship. The smu admission office picked up the call rather quickly like after a few rings so maybe you want try calling near 6? Anyway, the guy told me they will be prolly giving out all scholarships by end of next week and if you get it you will receive a call so now I guess we just have to wait till end of next week to know whether we will get it a not =x and he say to email to them if got any queries. Hope this helps!

nothatitmattered
05-20-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm really annoyed with SMU because they never pick up their phone!!! ARGH. :mad:

I'm in a very confused state right now because I was recently accepted into the LKCSB (second choice). Went for the Law interview but I didn't get it. :( Anyway, I indicated my interest in the SMU scholarships but have yet to hear any news? To add on, when I went for the Biz tea session I asked one of the staff, and it seems like my grades are good enough to at least qualify me for a scholarship interview of some sort because she said I should have received an email regarding scholarships.. SIGH. Anyone in the same boat/with any advice???

ur LKCSB interview would have been for both admissions and scholarships! so if u had gotten into biz, keep ur fingers crossed for the scholarship cause u may be on their waiting list! :)

nothatitmattered
05-20-2011, 12:45 PM
I went for an admission cum scholarship interview for accountancy but received no news regarding the scholarship. The smu admission office picked up the call rather quickly like after a few rings so maybe you want try calling near 6? Anyway, the guy told me they will be prolly giving out all scholarships by end of next week and if you get it you will receive a call so now I guess we just have to wait till end of next week to know whether we will get it a not =x and he say to email to them if got any queries. Hope this helps!

yep! if u all didn receive any news, u ll probably be on the waiting list! and I know of people who are rejecting the SMU scholarship, so hopefully you all will get the place if they reject it! good luck! :)

curiosojusto
05-20-2011, 02:14 PM
yep im one of those who may be rejecting the SMU scholarship. so keep your hopes up.

Then again, would you want a scholarship that someone else rejects?

nothatitmattered
05-20-2011, 11:28 PM
yep im one of those who may be rejecting the SMU scholarship. so keep your hopes up.

Then again, would you want a scholarship that someone else rejects?

hey, mind me asking why u may be rejecting yours? :)

CrownedWG
05-21-2011, 01:29 PM

Hi then may I ask what about awards like the university study award? Nobody mentioned about it in this forum at all

curiosojusto
05-23-2011, 12:02 AM
no..im accepting the scholarship by smu tmr morning and rejecting the rest. yea.

somethingsparkly
05-23-2011, 10:05 PM
ur LKCSB interview would have been for both admissions and scholarships! so if u had gotten into biz, keep ur fingers crossed for the scholarship cause u may be on their waiting list! :)

haha thanks for your optimism, it helps. But the thing is, I went for a Law interview not Business.. I didn't go for any business-related interview at all. So. Yeah. :(

jumphigh
05-26-2011, 01:43 AM

gosh i am really hoping they'll call me by the end of this week! not to be proud or anything but i got AAA/B and A for gp and pw, doesn't that give me a chance at the interview or at least something?????? >.< as a back up, i've started looking at the various grants offered, intending to apply there too!

sprightbarks
05-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Not too optimistic here either... Waiting on usp but prospects look bleak as the days go by. Or are the results out already D:

somethingsparkly
05-26-2011, 11:17 AM
gosh i am really hoping they'll call me by the end of this week! not to be proud or anything but i got AAA/B and A for gp and pw, doesn't that give me a chance at the interview or at least something?????? >.< as a back up, i've started looking at the various grants offered, intending to apply there too!

EXACTLY I got the same grades as you and got no calls about any interview!!!! :( What are you intending to study at SMU?

Krauser
05-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Anyone awarded asean scholarship?

jumphigh
05-27-2011, 06:05 PM
EXACTLY I got the same grades as you and got no calls about any interview!!!! :( What are you intending to study at SMU?

smu law. i already accepted my offer. What about you?

nothatitmattered
05-27-2011, 08:06 PM

hmm the admission and scholarship interview is together,so if u went for the admissions they would have considered u for the scholarship too!

average
05-28-2011, 11:39 AM
hmm the admission and scholarship interview is together,so if u went for the admissions they would have considered u for the scholarship too!

What if I went for the law interview, but was offered business and acct without interview from the biz faculty? Was the law interview the biz scholarship interview also? Till date, I haven't had any notifications from smu regarding scholarships. Anyone in a similar situation :confused:

CrownedWG
05-29-2011, 10:28 PM
Hi. Has anyone received the university study award or the Ian ferguson foundation scholarship? I am still waiting and am hoping that my parents will not have to bear the full burden of paying for my education:( your replies are greatly appreciated :)

somethingsparkly
05-29-2011, 11:34 PM
What if I went for the law interview, but was offered business and acct without interview from the biz faculty? Was the law interview the biz scholarship interview also? Till date, I haven't had any notifications from smu regarding scholarships. Anyone in a similar situation :confused:

Average, looks like we're in the same sad boat. :(

happysad
05-31-2011, 11:18 PM
anyone here offered USP@SMU?

average
06-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Average, looks like we're in the same sad boat. :(

Sigh, I still got no notifications of scholarships as of today when I've already gotten from both nus and ntu. oh wells... :(

slayercsa
01-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Hi peeps!

I was just notified to attend a LKCSP selection on 14 Jan. From 8am - 6.30pm! Anyone selected as well? And any seniors here can tell me what will be part of the selection? Because 8am - 6.30pm is really sooooo long!

louis7788
01-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Hi peeps!

I was just notified to attend a LKCSP selection on 14 Jan. From 8am - 6.30pm! Anyone selected as well? And any seniors here can tell me what will be part of the selection? Because 8am - 6.30pm is really sooooo long!

Hi,

Whoa! Congrats! SMU has started to call ppl up for interviews?

jellybelly
05-28-2012, 05:51 PM
If one were to accept an SMU scholarship but eventually change their mind and want to give it up, is there a penalty? If yes, how much is it? Or is this penalty only for certain scholarships such as the ASEAN undergrad scholarship rather than all SMU scholarships? Thanks in advance for any information provided :)

uniapplier
05-29-2012, 05:55 PM
If one were to accept an SMU scholarship but eventually change their mind and want to give it up, is there a penalty? If yes, how much is it? Or is this penalty only for certain scholarships such as the ASEAN undergrad scholarship rather than all SMU scholarships? Thanks in advance for any information provided :)
hi, jellybelly. I was once a scholar and this year, I am already offered place in SMU but with no scholarship (so I return home now) :(

First, congrats for you getting scholarship (I think, since you asked). Anyway, I don't know if you are local or foreigners, but if you are the latter, then I can only tell you this: based on my understanding, if you reject a scholarship before you accept it, no repayment asked (that's very obvious right?). But, if you already take the offer and you give up on that scholarship (i.e. you want to pay yourself or you cannot make it through their GPA requirement or you break the rules in the scholarship terms), you have to pay damage to the sponsor the entire money you have been receiving PLUS 10% of the total amount (meaning you need to pay 110% of the money you get from them). I think that's the rule across the board.

If you are very unsure, you could just approach the SMU Office of Admission (specifically I think the Office of Scholarship & Financial Aid) and ask them. Sometimes the interest rate may vary but usually it's at 10% (cannot be less than that). If not, then if you obtain the scholarship from private organisations (not administered by SMU), you ask them directly or during the contract-signing ceremony, before you confirm everything you ask the officer there.

That's all that I can say. All the best in your future endeavours in Singapore!

ultrateh
06-20-2012, 02:07 PM

Yes there is a penalty, you may need to pay back what you have received from the scholarship with an interest rate of 5% per annum base on the descretion of your respective dean of school.

If you accepted the scholarship but have not begin school, there will be a $2000 administrative fine to be paid.

Aleoca333
04-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Hey guys, if I didnt apply for any scholarships this cycle, but received an offer to study in SMU, can I apply for scholarships only next year when I'm in NS? Would I have to be re interviewed? My grades are AAA/ABA. The B is for GP.

Jefery714
04-04-2013, 03:28 PM
anybody got called up to the interview?

No, need to worry if you have not called up for the interview? You can approach Australia awards to get best results.

prissypoop
04-05-2013, 03:20 PM
I attended a scholarship interview and how would I know of my result? Currently, I am being offered a place in SMU Socsci already.

w07
04-06-2013, 11:52 PM
I attended a scholarship interview and how would I know of my result? Currently, I am being offered a place in SMU Socsci already.

did they call you for the interview session for scholarship after they accept you into Socsci?

prissypoop
04-07-2013, 12:42 AM
did they call you for the interview session for scholarship after they accept you into Socsci?

They didn't, but I hope not yet. Because I was informed that my interview was a scholarship interview 2 mins before I entered the intv room, so I thought the result would be tgt with my admission offer. Anyone has the same situation as me?

ultrateh
04-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Hi friends, I was offered the SMUSP last year without interview but I receive it only mid July. Will be glad to answer any questions!

prissypoop
04-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Hi friends, I was offered the SMUSP last year without interview but I receive it only mid July. Will be glad to answer any questions!

Thanks for the help! Did you receive the scholarship offer only after confirming your admission into SMU?

ultrateh
04-08-2013, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the help! Did you receive the scholarship offer only after confirming your admission into SMU?

Yes I received mine only after confirming my admission. You can pm me if you have further questions

takao
04-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Hi guys,

I just accepted in SMU SIS!

However I am a bit confused about scholarship application.

Will there be any separate scholarship calls?

Thanks

ultrateh
04-22-2013, 01:25 AM
Hi guys,

I just accepted in SMU SIS!

However I am a bit confused about scholarship application.

Will there be any separate scholarship calls?

Thanks

I believe they would have shortlisted some potential scholarship recipients during the SMU SIS interview.

takao
04-24-2013, 10:30 PM
I believe they would have shortlisted some potential scholarship recipients during the SMU SIS interview.

Thanks.

By the way, anyone receives scholarships already?

QWERTY1
04-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Thanks.

By the way, anyone receives scholarships already?

I went for the SMU Acct Scholarship cum Admissions interview on 9th April. Received my offer for DDG in Acct&Biz on 10th and the offer for SMU Scholars Programme on 15th April. Feel free to ask me any questions!

rach93
05-02-2013, 07:10 PM
I went for the SMU Acct Scholarship cum Admissions interview on 9th April. Received my offer for DDG in Acct&Biz on 10th and the offer for SMU Scholars Programme on 15th April. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Hey QWERTY, could i ask if the scholarship offer was given to you through letter or email? Thanks a lot!

QWERTY1
05-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Hey QWERTY, could i ask if the scholarship offer was given to you through letter or email? Thanks a lot!

It was through email, no official letter. :))

teddybruce
05-03-2013, 06:53 PM
anyone got news from the Lee Kong Chian scholar's programme?

poitan92
05-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Anyone who got the Smu scholars' programme, also got into the LKC interviews.

teddybruce
05-05-2013, 12:15 AM
oh actually i meant, has anyone been offered the lee kong chian scholarship alr? ;)

poitan92
05-06-2013, 05:37 PM
I heard from my friends that there are two interviews for lkc, one for nsmen who already accepted smu offer and second for the girls and the newly accepted students. The first lkc interview was 12 Jan and 2nd interview on 28th whereby he was offered on the spot. The second one from past post should be on the 30th april and most likely you will be informed around 3rd week of May for the second interview (if you are in, you will most likely be offered the scholarship). I been searching the forums and trying to find out whether smu offer the smu scholars programme to those perfect scorer only with just the admission interview, while those with minimum 3A get a shot at the LKC programme, can anyone confirm this for me?

teddybruce
05-06-2013, 06:28 PM
I heard from my friends that there are two interviews for lkc, one for nsmen who already accepted smu offer and second for the girls and the newly accepted students. The first lkc interview was 12 Jan and 2nd interview on 28th whereby he was offered on the spot. The second one from past post should be on the 30th april and most likely you will be informed around 3rd week of May for the second interview (if you are in, you will most likely be offered the scholarship). I been searching the forums and trying to find out whether smu offer the smu scholars programme to those perfect scorer only with just the admission interview, while those with minimum 3A get a shot at the LKC programme, can anyone confirm this for me?

yeap at the scholarship briefing session the professor mentioned that cut off for LKC is 3H2 As and GP B while for SMU scholars prog it's 4H2 As and GP B.

btw, if your friend was offered the scholarship on the spot then was it still an interview? Like did they ask interview-based qns or was it more of a get-to-know-you better session since they already planned to accept him?

Peanutbutterjelly
05-06-2013, 08:31 PM
yeap at the scholarship briefing session the professor mentioned that cut off for LKC is 3H2 As and GP B while for SMU scholars prog it's 4H2 As and GP B.

btw, if your friend was offered the scholarship on the spot then was it still an interview? Like did they ask interview-based qns or was it more of a get-to-know-you better session since they already planned to accept him?

Hi teddybruce could I clarify something? For the SMU Scholar's Programme, when you say 4h2 distinctions are required do you mean a minimum of 13 units are required? For example,
People who took 3H2s + 1H1 (and got distinctions for all), they still wouldn't stand a chance for the scholarship since that would only consist of 11 units? Sorry but I don't recall the professor specifying 4h2s as a requirement so I'mjust curious.:)

justabottle
05-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Anyone was invited to apply for the Lee Kuan Yew scholarship Award?

literally
05-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Anyone knows if rejection letters/emails are sent out for SMU Scholarships? Thanks in advance! (:

ultrateh
05-07-2013, 01:17 AM
I don't know about other schools but for SIS there is no official scholarship interview as far as I know and I doubt there will be a rejection letter. For SIS there are about 6-7 SMU scholar's programme recipient each year for an intake of about 280.

poitan92
05-07-2013, 01:39 AM

My friend was in the top 10 candidates, so he was offered on the spot, so you can say it's a get to know you session. There are two dates for the 2nd interviews, for the second day, my friend was not very certain but he heard that the prof will ask the candidates some background qns, but most likely you will be offered.

poitan92
05-07-2013, 01:40 AM
Anyone knows if rejection letters/emails are sent out for SMU Scholarships? Thanks in advance! (:

I highly doubt there is any rejection letter given.

literally
05-07-2013, 07:53 PM
I don't know about other schools but for SIS there is no official scholarship interview as far as I know and I doubt there will be a rejection letter. For SIS there are about 6-7 SMU scholar's programme recipient each year for an intake of about 280.

I highly doubt there is any rejection letter given.

Thanks! :).

teddybruce
05-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Hi teddybruce could I clarify something? For the SMU Scholar's Programme, when you say 4h2 distinctions are required do you mean a minimum of 13 units are required? For example,
People who took 3H2s + 1H1 (and got distinctions for all), they still wouldn't stand a chance for the scholarship since that would only consist of 11 units? Sorry but I don't recall the professor specifying 4h2s as a requirement so I'mjust curious.:)

Isn't 4H2s + 3H1s (GP, PW, MT) 11 academic units? anyway you are right the professor didn't mention that a min of 11 academic units are required but my senior who took 10 AUs (3H2s + 4 H1s) didn't get called up for the interview for LKCSP neither did he get the SMUSP although he only had one B in GP.. i am guessing since a lot of people already took 11 AUs and still scored well, they would make 11 AUs a 'hidden' requirement to streamline the number of candidates?

on a side note, has anyone gotten any calls for LKCSP second interview? kinda losing hope now.... ):

Peanutbutterjelly
05-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Isn't 4H2s + 3H1s (GP, PW, MT) 11 academic units? anyway you are right the professor didn't mention that a min of 11 academic units are required but my senior who took 10 AUs (3H2s + 4 H1s) didn't get called up for the interview for LKCSP neither did he get the SMUSP although he only had one B in GP.. i am guessing since a lot of people already took 11 AUs and still scored well, they would make 11 AUs a 'hidden' requirement to streamline the number of candidates?

on a side note, has anyone gotten any calls for LKCSP second interview? kinda losing hope now.... ):

Oh yea my apologies it's 10 UA vs 11UA not 13 UA!! Hmm yea i guess That's what I would assume too... Thanks for breaking it down. :)

Today's the supposed last day for calling up successful candidates for the second round. Tomorrow the second round of interview commences! :eek:

teddybruce
05-07-2013, 10:00 PM
:O today is the last day alr?? did you get a call from them to go down tmr?and does it mean tt all who are called for second round tmr will be offered? because im hoping tt if anyone drops the offer then prob i still have a chance... but if they are still going to eliminate ppl from second round it means tt i have no chance alr since i didnt even get to that round ):

oh man can someone enlighten me on this? so confused and worried ><

poitan92
05-08-2013, 09:22 AM
I am not sure how Peanutbutterjelly got his info, but personally I think it took three weeks before the 2nd interview for the first lkc so judging from that, I estimate that the 2nd interview should be next week and you will receive a call by the end of this week. If Peanutbutterjelly is right then, it is most unlikely you receive a call for you to go down the next day. 2nd round elimination is very unlikely as if you are called for the second round, it means you are the top 25 in terms of ranking in the interviews. Like I say previously this is the 2nd lkc interview and most of the scholarships are reserved for girls. Anyway what is your double degree combination, as I heard they only give out one Law and Business lkc scholarship.

Peanutbutterjelly
05-08-2013, 09:59 AM
I am not sure how Peanutbutterjelly got his info, but personally I think it took three weeks before the 2nd interview for the first lkc so judging from that, I estimate that the 2nd interview should be next week and you will receive a call by the end of this week. If Peanutbutterjelly is right then, it is most unlikely you receive a call for you to go down the next day. 2nd round elimination is very unlikely as if you are called for the second round, it means you are the top 25 in terms of ranking in the interviews. Like I say previously this is the 2nd lkc interview and most of the scholarships are reserved for girls. Anyway what is your double degree combination, as I heard they only give out one Law and Business lkc scholarship.

Hey there I took down the info from the PowerPoint slides during the scholarship briefing this year! :) but of course, the school is free to choose people out of the suggested time period. I'm a guy and I didnt get called up for the second round either. I was offered law and my second choice is accountancy... Which is probably why my chances are super slim! Didnt know only ONE law/biz scholarship is given out!! But I guess u may be right since last year only 2 people got the law/biz LKC scholarship acc to my facilitator that day.

@teddybruce if you didnt choose law then keep your hopes up high because I do know that people tend to reject the scholarship last minute. And since the prof said that they're given only 3 days to decide if they want it once they're offered, the next round of recipients should be offered by end may/early June? Just my estimate. Good luck bro

teddybruce
05-08-2013, 11:49 AM
hey thanks so much guys for your help (: @poitan don't mind me asking but how did you get the info that only top 25 are called for second round?

anyways my combi is biz/econs and they have already offered me the ddp but yeah I guess there aren't many places reserved for guys this time round maybe that's why I didnt get called....I kinda had my hopes up though because I thought I did rather well for the first round. Looks like I had overestimated myself haha! Hopefully someone rejects their offer lol!

poitan92
05-09-2013, 01:45 AM
hey thanks so much guys for your help (: @poitan don't mind me asking but how did you get the info that only top 25 are called for second round?

anyways my combi is biz/econs and they have already offered me the ddp but yeah I guess there aren't many places reserved for guys this time round maybe that's why I didnt get called....I kinda had my hopes up though because I thought I did rather well for the first round. Looks like I had overestimated myself haha! Hopefully someone rejects their offer lol!

Well, since there are two major sessions for the lkc and the scholarship page states up to 50 scholarships given, so theoretically it should be 25 each, maybe slightly more for the second set.

prissypoop
05-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Hi, I need a little advice here.

I am offered the SMU scholars programme but I'm unsure if I should accept it, as inviting as it sounds(I really need the tuition fee waiver), I'm afraid that it will be difficult to meet the requirements set by SMU. It writes that a student has to maintain a consistent GPA of 3.4. Is this inclusive of both degrees? I am taking a DDP in social science and econs and I am quite sure I can't make it for econs. Also, in any case that my scholarship is withdrawn by the school due to my inadequacy in meeting GPA requirements, I would have to repay the school whatever they have given + 5% interest per annum. Is this inclusive of school fees too? This would also mean suffering a net loss (a heavy one esp to my family) as compared to not accepting the offer. Yes, I understand that accepting it is like taking risk, but returns are high if I strike.

Any opinions are welcomed!

pokkaGT
05-23-2013, 06:55 PM
It is better to have 1 good degree than 2 average degrees. The way I see, doing DDP increases your chances of getting good GPA since you can always drop one of them. The question you are asking is effectively asking is: "how hard is SMU?". The question is extremely subjective and is up to the individual's ability.

Just ask yourself honestly if you really need the scholarship. Freeing up a slot may help another student who is in greater need.

poitan92
05-24-2013, 02:56 AM
Hi, I need a little advice here.

I am offered the SMU scholars programme but I'm unsure if I should accept it, as inviting as it sounds(I really need the tuition fee waiver), I'm afraid that it will be difficult to meet the requirements set by SMU. It writes that a student has to maintain a consistent GPA of 3.4. Is this inclusive of both degrees? I am taking a DDP in social science and econs and I am quite sure I can't make it for econs. Also, in any case that my scholarship is withdrawn by the school due to my inadequacy in meeting GPA requirements, I would have to repay the school whatever they have given + 5% interest per annum. Is this inclusive of school fees too? This would also mean suffering a net loss (a heavy one esp to my family) as compared to not accepting the offer. Yes, I understand that accepting it is like taking risk, but returns are high if I strike.

Any opinions are welcomed!

You do not have to repay the school even if you fail to meet the requirement, worst case scenario you will drop out of the programme and will have to pay your usual fees. You only have to pay if you accept the scholarship and change your mind and want to go to a different school. DDP is not twice the workload like the name suggests and econs for uni is more maths intensive so if you got A for A level Maths, it should not be a problem. :)

coconut
06-01-2013, 09:22 PM
can anyone rate my chances of getting the smu scholars programme (my first choice in the scholarship)... I just finished my alevels last year and got results of AAA/BAB, B for h1 lit and GP merit for H3 Econs, and i did community work and held leadership positions in my jc as well. I received the DDP for econs and biz mgt but I didnt receive any news for scholarships... GRRRRR serving ns now though

poitan92
06-02-2013, 12:25 AM
From what I read, the Smu Scholars Programme has a 4 H2 A requirement, most likely you will qualify for the Lkc programme. You will only be notified on your ord year so be patient and best of luck getting the scholarship.

coconut
06-07-2013, 09:45 PM
From what I read, the Smu Scholars Programme has a 4 H2 A requirement, most likely you will qualify for the Lkc programme. You will only be notified on your ord year so be patient and best of luck getting the scholarship.

okay! thanks for the reply! :( that means I wont be able to get it :(

pris_k
06-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Hi, does anyone know if the 1.8K notebook grant given by the LKCSP is for the notebook only or does it also include add-ons (like extra battery, upgrade etc)?

Also, we don't have to purchase from SMU's vendors right? Because I am planning to get it during the IT fair rather than from the vendors LOL.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance! ;);)

ultrateh
06-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Hi, does anyone know if the 1.8K notebook grant given by the LKCSP is for the notebook only or does it also include add-ons (like extra battery, upgrade etc)?

Also, we don't have to purchase from SMU's vendors right? Because I am planning to get it during the IT fair rather than from the vendors LOL.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance! ;);)

You will need to purchase from the school notebook vendors. This is to prevent conflict of interest. The 1.8k will also cover the addons that come along with the notebook assuming your notebook + addon is 1.8k or less

lentan
06-14-2013, 11:11 PM
You will need to purchase from the school notebook vendors. This is to prevent conflict of interest. The 1.8k will also cover the addons that come along with the notebook assuming your notebook + addon is 1.8k or less

I think that is not true. I've asked CSD and they say you can buy your laptop outside. For the 2013 scholars, you can actually buy your laptop now, you just need to keep the receipt and claim it from CSD. This is from what I have heard from two separate occasions from the CSD people.

It is recommended that you buy from school notebook vendors though, because they give discounts. If you are looking for very popular notebooks such as the Macbook, you will be better off getting it from school notebook vendors.

I am unsure what the notebook grant covers, but it should cover your notebook (including upgrades to the storage/ram), but not external accessories (carrying case, mouse, etc). It will be best if you give CSD a call and ask :).

I'm in the same boat as you, waiting for IT Fair, more haswell-powered laptops will be available then and it will push down the prices of older generation laptops as well.

ultrateh
06-15-2013, 12:17 AM
I think that is not true. I've asked CSD and they say you can buy your laptop outside. For the 2013 scholars, you can actually buy your laptop now, you just need to keep the receipt and claim it from CSD. This is from what I have heard from two separate occasions from the CSD people.

It is recommended that you buy from school notebook vendors though, because they give discounts. If you are looking for very popular notebooks such as the Macbook, you will be better off getting it from school notebook vendors.

I am unsure what the notebook grant covers, but it should cover your notebook (including upgrades to the storage/ram), but not external accessories (carrying case, mouse, etc). It will be best if you give CSD a call and ask :).

I'm in the same boat as you, waiting for IT Fair, more haswell-powered laptops will be available then and it will push down the prices of older generation laptops as well.

Ah my bad. For IS students it is recommended to buy from the school since you will require a different specification for your laptop as compared to other schools. The grant does cover external accessories if they are an addon option for your laptop unless they change the rule this year.

rapid350
07-28-2014, 10:26 PM
May I know which year would the scholarship be offered for the guys? in the year of application or the year of admission?