PDA

View Full Version : NUS Faculty of Science

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

friends
07-10-2011, 01:22 AM
I'm so sorry for repeating my question. But no one answered and I'm getting nervous.... Has the sow attendees been confirmed? Anyone got an email from them?!

Calikura
07-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Hey, how do we sign up for sow?

There's a link on their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/SOW11

And yeah, they've sent out the first batch of emails. I suppose there'll be more, since sign-ups are actually still open.

hello:)
07-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Hi! May i know if there are ways to find out which are our our pre-allocated modules (to plan timetable) besides logging into cors?

oh and we can we only log into cors when bidding starts?

a side qns: science ppl can't take language modules (eg.LAK1201) isit?
cos under the archives, all language modules are open to FASS only, regardless of the bidding rounds......is it true?:(

Calikura
07-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Hi! May i know if there are ways to find out which are our our pre-allocated modules (to plan timetable) besides logging into cors?

oh and we can we only log into cors when bidding starts?

a side qns: science ppl can't take language modules (eg.LAK1201) isit?
cos under the archives, all language modules are open to FASS only, regardless of the bidding rounds......is it true?:(

You could take a look at the various departmental websites for information. For example, after declaring Life Sciences as your major, you will be pre-allocated either LSM1101/LSM1102/CM1401, or LSM1103/LSM1104/CM1401 by random.

FoS students will declare their major in CORS after registration (25th July), so you'll have to wait till the week after next to know which modules you are pre-allocated.

And yes, you can only log in to CORS during the scheduled bidding period (starting from round 0). Start bidding for your essential modules from round 1C on 28th July, 9am onwards.

You can take language modules, either by bidding with your G account - highly competitive in most cases - or by pre-allocation if you have been offered the LPP.

Haseyo
07-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Hi! I have combed the CORS website and FOS Websites for more information on bidding.. But I can't find an answer to my question: If I am pre-allocated with LSM modules after my major declaration, does it mean I will not have to bid for those pre-allocated modules or bid 1 point for each pre-allocated module?

Yeah, LAK1201 seems competitive from the past bidding statistics. I also want to take it. :(

For my coming semester, I hope to take up LSM1301, CM1401 (both pre-allocated to me as I have no A-level Bio - so I will be in Group B1), LAK1201, PR1101 and 5th module (for Faculty Req) - I can't decide!

Can I ask something regarding the NUSNET ID & Student ID? From what I know, it will look like: u00xxxxx, right? But I have received a new Student ID & NUSNET ID which are completely different from it, after performing the online pre-registration. I have just received 2 emails from NUS yesterday, which was quite earlier than the supposed 2nd week of July?

Calikura
07-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Hi! I have combed the CORS website and FOS Websites for more information on bidding.. But I can't find an answer to my question: If I am pre-allocated with LSM modules after my major declaration, does it mean I will not have to bid for those pre-allocated modules or bid 1 point for each pre-allocated module?

You will not have to bid for pre-allocated modules. 1 point will be deducted from the appropriate account when you are pre-allocated a module (P account for LSM modules). This point will not be refunded if you choose (or need) to drop a pre-allocated module.

If you're taking LAK1201 under the Korean LPP, 1 G point will be deducted following successful pre-allocation.

Not too sure about the student IDs.

mayumi
07-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Can I ask something regarding the NUSNET ID & Student ID? From what I know, it will look like: u00xxxxx, right? But I have received a new Student ID & NUSNET ID which are completely different from it, after performing the online pre-registration. I have just received 2 emails from NUS yesterday, which was quite earlier than the supposed 2nd week of July?

Your NUSNET ID should look smt like A1234567X (A, followed by seven digits and end with an alphabet).

07-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Your NUSNET ID should look smt like A1234567X (A, followed by seven digits and end with an alphabet).

A1234567X is your Matriculation Number..
Your NUSNET ID will be similar to your Matriculation Number, but without the last alphabet and add a 0 in front.. (e.g. A01234567)

lol
07-11-2011, 10:31 PM
hey thxs for the reply, rlly appreciate it! i was refering to bid when i said "book". So you mean that core modules tt are already allocated requires o bidding? And i can bid whatever modules i wan to fit for the semester? When will i know my bidding is successful?

you're welcome! :)

yes, usually you don't have to bid for pre-allocated core mods. however, 1 point will be deducted from your P account. you will know if your bidding is successful on the night itself when the bidding round ends.

lol
07-11-2011, 10:34 PM
A1234567X is your Matriculation Number..
Your NUSNET ID will be similar to your Matriculation Number, but without the last alphabet and add a 0 in front.. (e.g. A01234567)

there is no need to add a 0 in front. your nusnet id and your matriculation number is exactly the same. the last alphabet is removed for nusnet id.

snar123
07-13-2011, 06:51 PM
this may seem inappropriate but i have QET tmr and i have a few questions.
The exam venue will be multi-purpose hall, is it air-conditioned? If it is then i need to bring my sweater. I heard that we are not allowed to bring bags into the venue, if thats the case then where do we put our bags? Do i need to memorise my student id/application no.?

Sorry for the questions... I am new to this whole uni thing.
thanks in advance

andyarien
07-13-2011, 10:58 PM
this may seem inappropriate but i have QET tmr and i have a few questions.
The exam venue will be multi-purpose hall, is it air-conditioned? If it is then i need to bring my sweater. I heard that we are not allowed to bring bags into the venue, if thats the case then where do we put our bags? Do i need to memorise my student id/application no.?

Sorry for the questions... I am new to this whole uni thing.
thanks in advance

Yes, it is air-conditioned. Whether to bring a sweater or not, depends on individual really. If you're afraid, you may just bring to your table just in case it gets cold for you. You will be asked to put the bags at the sides, inside the hall. Don't worry, there will be alot of students. If not sure, see what other people do and follow. haha. I forgot which one you need to remember, but if i'm not wrong, it's the student ID, if u already got one.

Hope this reply is not too late. Good luck and all the best for your paper! :)

snar123
07-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Yes, it is air-conditioned. Whether to bring a sweater or not, depends on individual really. If you're afraid, you may just bring to your table just in case it gets cold for you. You will be asked to put the bags at the sides, inside the hall. Don't worry, there will be alot of students. If not sure, see what other people do and follow. haha. I forgot which one you need to remember, but if i'm not wrong, it's the student ID, if u already got one.

Hope this reply is not too late. Good luck and all the best for your paper! :)

omg thanks a lot for the reply! i was waiting for a reply before i hit the sack. k shall memorise the student id. feeling nervous rn

Haseyo
07-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Seniors, THANKS a lot for explaining on NUSNET & matric thing.

By the way, do you recommend attending a Welcome Tea for Freshmen? It's next Friday.. Will they touch on CORS & graduation requirements?

07-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Seniors, THANKS a lot for explaining on NUSNET & matric thing.

By the way, do you recommend attending a Welcome Tea for Freshmen? It's next Friday.. Will they touch on CORS & graduation requirements?

They should be touching on CORS & graduation requirements. It is not a bad thing to go for the Welcome Tea, unless you got other stuff to do.. :p

07-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Hello! I have a few qns, hopefully someone can help to ans them!:)

1) there were some posts tt said we do not have to bid for our core modules and 1 pt would be deducted from our P Acct. If tt is so, then how come for core mods such as ma1102R, the lowest successful bp is 66 for "new students [P]" (under science fac)? so do we bid or not bid?:confused:

2) For modules such as ACC1002, in the archives, under the faculty "science", the column "Student Type[Acct Type]" states "New Students [P]". Why is this so? i thought that accounts modules should be bidded under our G acct for science students since it is outside our fac?

3) If our bid points is less than the lowest successful bid, will we lose all our points or get a complete refund?

4) For LSM mods, can FOS freshies bid in round 2A using our G acct, under "NUS Students [G]"?

Thanks!

Haseyo
07-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Anyone can recommend a good-but-not-too-hard Faculty Requirement module for a Life Sciences major? I intend to do a Hons, so I need to have 2 faculty modules. I already had one in mind but I need another one. It has to be Computing Sciences group. No liking for maths or physics or hardcore computing ones..

Haseyo
07-14-2011, 06:51 PM

1) there were some posts tt said we do not have to bid for our core modules and 1 pt would be deducted from our P Acct. If tt is so, then how come for core mods such as ma1102R, the lowest successful bp is 66 for "new students [P]" (under science fac)? so do we bid or not bid?:confused:

2) For modules such as ACC1002, in the archives, under the faculty "science", the column "Student Type[Acct Type]" states "New Students [P]". Why is this so? i thought that accounts modules should be bidded under our G acct for science students since it is outside our fac?

3) If our bid points is less than the lowest successful bid, will we lose all our points or get a complete refund?

4) For LSM mods, can FOS freshies bid in round 2A using our G acct, under "NUS Students [G]"?

Thanks!

Not sure if I can answer other 3 questions, but I can answer Qn (3).

Ans to Qn 3: Yes, you will get a complete refund of your points without penalty and they will be carried over to the next round at the end of each round. It's not like NUS playing unfair by making us lose all the points like that. I read somewhere from FAQs in CORS..

For Qn 2, I think it's because ACC1002 could be a major/minor (within your faculty) elective where you have to bid for under P acct. ACC1002 is found in Quantitative Finance. P acct is used for majors & faculty requirements.. If a module is listed as a major core, then only 1 pt is deducted from your P acct and no bidding needed. For major electives, you need to bid using your P acct. I think it's same as Qn 1.

For Qn 4, it's possible to bid in Round 2A using your G acct to meet ULR or UE requirements only. But I think it's better to bid in the early rounds to avoid huge inflation in bidding points. After Round 3, there will be no protection as you will be competing against seniors.

http://www.nus.edu.sg/cors/useful-info.html

I'm also a freshie but stressed about CORS!!

Calikura
07-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Anyone can recommend a good-but-not-too-hard Faculty Requirement module for a Life Sciences major? I intend to do a Hons, so I need to have 2 faculty modules. I already had one in mind but I need another one. It has to be Computing Sciences group. No liking for maths or physics or hardcore computing ones..

If you dislike physical sciences and computing sciences, try a Freshman Seminar module offered by FoS (i.e., an FMS- prefixed mod). These can be fairly competitive, so try to bid for them as early as possible, that is in round 1C.

If you need a list of these modules, go here: http://www.nus.edu.sg/registrar/nusbulletin/modulesearch.html - enter 'FMS' in the Module Code field and perform a search. Check that the module you're interested in is being offered in the coming semester.

You might also wish to consider reading SP1202, but I have no idea how it is like.

Most if not all of the above modules are classified under the Multidisciplinary & Interdisciplinary Sciences subject group and can be used to fulfill science faculty requirements.

lol
07-14-2011, 09:15 PM

Thanks!

Hello hello! :) I will try to answer your questions!

1. When I said that one does not have to bid for core modules, I meant PRE-ALLOCATED core modules and not just core modules. It also depends on the respective faculties and majors. Try checking out your major's website for more info.

2. I am not so sure about this. sorry :X

3. You will get a full refund if you fail to secure your modules.

4. If I am not wrong, yes, you can bid during round 2A using your G account.

Hope that helps :P

07-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Not sure if I can answer other 3 questions, but I can answer Qn (3).

Ans to Qn 3: Yes, you will get a complete refund of your points without penalty and they will be carried over to the next round at the end of each round. It's not like NUS playing unfair by making us lose all the points like that. I read somewhere from FAQs in CORS..

For Qn 2, I think it's because ACC1002 could be a major/minor (within your faculty) elective where you have to bid for under P acct. ACC1002 is found in Quantitative Finance. P acct is used for majors & faculty requirements.. If a module is listed as a major core, then only 1 pt is deducted from your P acct and no bidding needed. For major electives, you need to bid using your P acct. I think it's same as Qn 1.

For Qn 4, it's possible to bid in Round 2A using your G acct to meet ULR or UE requirements only. But I think it's better to bid in the early rounds to avoid huge inflation in bidding points. After Round 3, there will be no protection as you will be competing against seniors.

http://www.nus.edu.sg/cors/useful-info.html

I'm also a freshie but stressed about CORS!!

Hello hello! :) I will try to answer your questions!

1. When I said that one does not have to bid for core modules, I meant PRE-ALLOCATED core modules and not just core modules. It also depends on the respective faculties and majors. Try checking out your major's website for more info.

2. I am not so sure about this. sorry :X

3. You will get a full refund if you fail to secure your modules.

4. If I am not wrong, yes, you can bid during round 2A using your G account.

Hope that helps :P

Thanks Haseyo and lol for your replies! they are really helpful!:)

@lol : for qns 1, yep, i was referring to pre-allocated modules, not just core mods......so we don't bid for pre-allocated modules at all.... i believe?

@Haseyo and lol : for qns 4, what i meant was, i'm not a life science major, so i'm thinking of taking lsm mods to fufill fac requirements. so can i bid for it under G acct in 2A, or must i use my P acct since lsm mods are under science fac?

possimpible
07-15-2011, 12:20 AM
hi guys, for life sciences fac req we have

Faculty Requirements:
- 1 module from Physical Sciences OR
Computing Sciences OR Multidisciplinary
& Interdisciplinary Sciences subject
group [4]
- 1 module from any subject group
except LSM-prefixed modules [4]

so i have a few questions,
1. does physical sciences refer to only physics and chem?
2. can the second module be from the same subject group as the first?

andyarien
07-15-2011, 07:22 AM
hi guys, for life sciences fac req we have

Faculty Requirements:
- 1 module from Physical Sciences OR
Computing Sciences OR Multidisciplinary
& Interdisciplinary Sciences subject
group [4]
- 1 module from any subject group
except LSM-prefixed modules [4]

so i have a few questions,
1. does physical sciences refer to only physics and chem?
2. can the second module be from the same subject group as the first?

1. Physical Sciences actually refers to material science and physics, as can be seen from the table in the link below.
2. It can be from any modules from these six subject groups, except with LSM-prefixed. So, yes.

http://www.science.nus.edu.sg/undergraduates/curriculum/facreq.html (http://www.science.nus.edu.sg/undergraduates/curriculum/facreq.html)

Fireworkx
07-15-2011, 03:13 PM
If you're referring to SOW then, yes of course. There will also be seniors around to offer guidance.

oh great! Thanks!

Haseyo
07-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Calikura: Thank you for your suggestion!

@lol : for qns 1, yep, i was referring to pre-allocated modules, not just core mods......so we don't bid for pre-allocated modules at all.... i believe?

@Haseyo and lol : for qns 4, what i meant was, i'm not a life science major, so i'm thinking of taking lsm mods to fufill fac requirements. so can i bid for it under G acct in 2A, or must i use my P acct since lsm mods are under science fac?

Oh, to satisfy the faculty requirements, you have to use your P acct, not your G acct. Refer to the link: http://www.nus.edu.sg/cors/policies.html (then click "Account Types" to see more info on these accts)

lol
07-15-2011, 10:34 PM

yep yep.. usually you don't have to bid for your pre-allocated cores :)

no, to fulfill fac req, you have to use P account and not G account.

possimpible
07-15-2011, 11:47 PM
1. Physical Sciences actually refers to material science and physics, as can be seen from the table in the link below.
2. It can be from any modules from these six subject groups, except with LSM-prefixed. So, yes.

http://www.science.nus.edu.sg/undergraduates/curriculum/facreq.html (http://www.science.nus.edu.sg/undergraduates/curriculum/facreq.html)

oops, looks like i didn't look hard enough

thanks so much for your help! :)

helly
07-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Anybody attending the Dean's Welcome Tea on the 22nd?
Are we suppose to sit throughout the whole session or can we be selective as to which talk we want to attend?
Anybody going alone? I'm alone :/

snar123
07-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Hi may I know whats the pros/cons of taking a minor?

I am planning to major in stats and minor econs. But i am scared that the workload may be overwhelming for me

snar123
07-17-2011, 03:11 PM
and how do we check what is our pre-allocated modules for each major?

thanks in advance

lishanshung
07-18-2011, 12:30 AM
Hi may I know whats the pros/cons of taking a minor?

I am planning to major in stats and minor econs. But i am scared that the workload may be overwhelming for me

Start off with taking 1-2 modules of your intended minor (to fulfill your breadth requirement in the mean time). See if you can handle with that particular course. You can declare your minor sometime later when you have decided.

PROS: diverse coursework, you will graduate with a minor (on cert), widen options, for fun, relieve stress from your major
CONS: more workload, timetable clash(?), essays and assignments, many readings (for FASS mods)

Anyway, it is an enriching experience. I suggest you bid for 1 EC module for this sem. All the best and have fun.

nixeij
07-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Hi there, I'm intending to take Life Science and I know there's a pre-allocated modules or something?

Either group A or group B.

I prefer group A:
LSM1101, LSM1102, CM1401.

The thing is, I cannot choose? So what happens if I am allocated to group B? So I will miss out on the stuff in group A? Or is it that at the end of semester 1 we all have to finish both group A and B anyway, so the order doesn't really matter?

lol
07-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Hi there, I'm intending to take Life Science and I know there's a pre-allocated modules or something?

I prefer group A:

The thing is, I cannot choose? So what happens if I am allocated to group B? So I will miss out on the stuff in group A? Or is it that at the end of semester 1 we all have to finish both group A and B anyway, so the order doesn't really matter?

hello :)

for life sciences, you don't get to choose. they will allocate you to either group A - 1101,1102 + cm1401

or

group B - 1103,1104 + cm1401

if you get into group A, you would have completed 1101, 1102 and 1401 by th end of sem1. when you go into sem2, you will then be taking 1103 and 1104 :) hope that helps

Fireworkx
07-19-2011, 06:11 PM

I prefer group A:

Hi. There're 2 groups of pre-allocated modules?? How about those without A-level Bio backgrd? Can they take LSM1301 together with either Group A or Group B?

Btw, what does Group B comprises of?

Thanks! And so sorry for the string of questions haha (:

Haseyo
07-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Hey all.. If you refer to the pdf file (http://www.lifesciences.nus.edu.sg/info/foryear1.pdf), your questions would be answered. Any more updates should be posted at this website: www.lifesciences.nus.edu.sg or www.science.nus.edu.sg.

So for first year, there are 4 groups - A1, A2, B1 and C1. A1 and A2 are for those with H2 Bio & Chem. Students are allocated to either group randomly by the system (you cannot choose them). B1 Group is for those without H2 Bio, like me. Finally C1 one is for those without H2 Chem. :)

Fireworkx
07-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Hey all.. If you refer to the pdf file (http://www.lifesciences.nus.edu.sg/info/foryear1.pdf), your questions would be answered. Any more updates should be posted at this website: www.lifesciences.nus.edu.sg or www.science.nus.edu.sg.

So for first year, there are 4 groups - A1, A2, B1 and C1. A1 and A2 are for those with H2 Bio & Chem. Students are allocated to either group randomly by the system (you cannot choose them). B1 Group is for those without H2 Bio, like me. Finally C1 one is for those without H2 Chem. :)

Thanks Haseyo! (:

Btw for those who are allocated to say Group B1, they could take up another 3 more modules roughly. Is it possible to take up a minor module within the science faculty? Also, is it advisable to take up GEM, SS and UE mods now rather than faculty mods to lessen the workload in future(since there are only 2mods pre-allocated)?

Also, I still dont get the difference between faculty and major reqs, as well as Breadth and UE. Are they actually the same or...

Hope someone can answer them. Thanks!

lishanshung
07-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks Haseyo! (:

Btw for those who are allocated to say Group B1, they could take up another 3 more modules roughly. Is it possible to take up a minor module within the science faculty? Also, is it advisable to take up GEM, SS and UE mods now rather than faculty mods to lessen the workload in future(since there are only 2mods pre-allocated)?

Also, I still dont get the difference between faculty and major reqs, as well as Breadth and UE. Are they actually the same or...

Hope someone can answer them. Thanks!

The normal workload is 5 modules per sem. Yes, it's possible to take up minors withing FOS. You choose your own modules. I suggest going one GEM, one breadth and one freshmen seminar (it's a module) . Clear uni and fac req first. It is easier to clear UE since whatever you takes (after clearing your uni req and fac req) goes into UE.

Faculty req = anything from FOS but not from your intended major in which one has to be physics/multidisciplinary/computing, while the other is non-LSM prefixed.

Major req = core modules (listed in your programme curriculum)

Hope this helps.

friends
07-20-2011, 10:41 AM
hey, Was just wondering if I didnt get into SOW'11 , then what do i do for orientation week?

And am I really gonna end up alone :( ?!?!

nixeij
07-20-2011, 11:00 AM
The normal workload is 5 modules per sem. Yes, it's possible to take up minors withing FOS. You choose your own modules. I suggest going one GEM, one breadth and one freshmen seminar (it's a module) . Clear uni and fac req first. It is easier to clear UE since whatever you takes (after clearing your uni req and fac req) goes into UE.

After bombarding myself with CORS, modules and curriculum, I still only roughly know what are GEM, GEK, Breadth, SS and UE. How do they work and complement each other in terms of fulfilling the requirements for both Faculty & Major (for me its Life Sciences)?
Thank you. Really. :)

nixeij
07-20-2011, 11:01 AM

Wah your link is super useful. BOOKMARKED. THANKS!

nixeij
07-20-2011, 11:10 AM
for life sciences, you don't get to choose. they will allocate you to either group A - 1101,1102 + cm1401

or

group B - 1103,1104 + cm1401

if you get into group A, you would have completed 1101, 1102 and 1401 by th end of sem1. when you go into sem2, you will then be taking 1103 and 1104

OH. So since I took H2 Bio, I will automatically be in group A. Question now is if I'm gonna be in A1 or A2. So if I start with A1 first, sem 2 I will do A2. And vice versa.
OK I SEE. THANK YOU!!:D:D:D:D

lol
07-20-2011, 08:17 PM
hey, Was just wondering if I didnt get into SOW'11 , then what do i do for orientation week?

And am I really gonna end up alone :( ?!?!

if you fail to get into SOW, you don't have to attend to anything for the first week. lecture officially starts on the second week. don't worry too much about ending up alone, there are lots of chances to meet new people and make new friends. try signing up for CCAs and interact/mingle with your coursemates in lectures/tutorials! :)

lol
07-20-2011, 08:18 PM
OH. So since I took H2 Bio, I will automatically be in group A. Question now is if I'm gonna be in A1 or A2. So if I start with A1 first, sem 2 I will do A2. And vice versa.
OK I SEE. THANK YOU!!:D:D:D:D

YEAH, you're welcome! ^^ welcome to LIFE SCIENCES

Haseyo
07-20-2011, 08:52 PM
oh man, if not selected for SOW, then i will be just bidding for modules in CORS at home..

and can i bid for ST1232 for my 1st semester, first year instead? the study plan for LS major says that we can start learning ST1232 in 2nd year.. but i am left with 4 modules and i need to take 5th module... so how?

xraiinx
07-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Hi there

I've been pre-allocated group 1 (LSM2101 and 2102).
I wanna swap to group 2 (LSM2103 and ST1232)
Anyone wants to swap with me?
Please email [email protected]

07-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Hello! just a quick qns, if we are going for sow, we bid in computer labs during orientation right, does tt mean we have to take turns to use the computers there?

lol
07-24-2011, 11:32 PM
oh man, if not selected for SOW, then i will be just bidding for modules in CORS at home..

and can i bid for ST1232 for my 1st semester, first year instead? the study plan for LS major says that we can start learning ST1232 in 2nd year.. but i am left with 4 modules and i need to take 5th module... so how?

nono, st1232 should be taken in year 2. otherwise you have to bid for it. but it's best to do it in year 2.

lishanshung
07-25-2011, 12:07 AM

I suggest you try clearing your university requirements. GEK2900 would be a good choice. Take Freshmen seminar (FMSXXXX) to clear your faculty requirement too. It is auto S/U. XD

elims
07-25-2011, 06:10 PM
What is the difference between FMS modules to the other modules? What does it mean by auto s/u?

lishanshung
07-26-2011, 12:14 AM
What is the difference between FMS modules to the other modules? What does it mean by auto s/u?

FMS is freshmen seminar. Only available to freshmen. Further information can be found here. http://www.science.nus.edu.sg/undergraduates/curriculum/sp1201/

elims
07-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi!!

would like to check if there is a need for Graphic calculator for science?

elims
07-26-2011, 07:51 PM
fms is freshmen seminar. Only available to freshmen. Further information can be found here. http://www.science.nus.edu.sg/undergraduates/curriculum/sp1201/

thanks a lot!! (:

shimmer
07-27-2011, 02:41 PM
LSM are preallocated. So I dont have to bid, AT ALL?

snar123
07-27-2011, 03:56 PM
FMS is freshmen seminar. Only available to freshmen. Further information can be found here. http://www.science.nus.edu.sg/undergraduates/curriculum/sp1201/

When can i bid for FMS modules? I cant seem to find any bidding history for fms

andyarien
07-27-2011, 04:11 PM
When can i bid for FMS modules? I cant seem to find any bidding history for fms

Since it's open only to freshmen, you can bid from round 1C onwards (in sem 1) and round 1A onwards (in sem 2).

Last year's bidding report from round 1C http://www.cors.nus.edu.sg/Archive/201011_Sem1/successbid_1C_20102011s1.html

snar123
07-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Since it's open only to freshmen, you can bid from round 1C onwards (in sem 1) and round 1A onwards (in sem 2).

Last year's bidding report from round 1C http://www.cors.nus.edu.sg/Archive/201011_Sem1/successbid_1C_20102011s1.html

Thanks andyarien. and wow they are really popular (judging from the high bids) :(

Fireworkx
07-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Hi, can extra Faculty mods(except major) taken be counted towards UE? Thanks.

tatami
07-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Hi, can extra Faculty mods(except major) taken be counted towards UE? Thanks.

It can be used as faculty requirement, depending on the module type. Correct me if i'm wrong

Fireworkx
07-27-2011, 07:41 PM
It can be used as faculty requirement, depending on the module type. Correct me if i'm wrong
Oh, I meant if faculty reqs are already satisfied, can the rest(also faculty modules) be counted as UE? Sorry for the confusion..

tatami
07-27-2011, 07:44 PM
I am a non-LS major (fos undergraduate). but I would like to take LSM1302 to fulfil faculty requirement. In which round can i bid for it?

May I know if foreign languages can be used to fulfill breath?

Is Centre for Language Studies far from fos? because I have a foreign language lecture right before my major lecture in fos. :(

tatami
07-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Oh, I meant if faculty reqs are already satisfied, can the rest(also faculty modules) be counted as UE? Sorry for the confusion..

If you take it under GEM code...i think it can fulfil general education req. hope this helps

Fireworkx
07-27-2011, 07:55 PM
If you take it under GEM code...i think it can fulfil general education req. hope this helps

Hmm ok... But that's also provided that the GE reqs are already satisfied right?

ethannn
07-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Any math or financial math seniors out there? help me out pleaseee.

I am a biz freshie planning to do a FM minor, as for a grad school I want to go later for financial engineering requires certain levels of maths, like Multivariable Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Equations.

So I was looking through the modules that I can bid as my Breadth, and there were Calculus and Mathematics I. It turned out that Mathematics I is actually more rigorous than Calculus, although the name itself... has a possibility of misleading the grad school admission officers..? What do you think I should choose?

I personally think Calculus I is less demanding for I've done my IB HL Math, but as long as the unis in the states recognize that Mathematics I is something more challenging, then I am willing to go for it.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

andyarien
07-27-2011, 09:51 PM

Yes, they can be counted towards your UE, provided you have satisfied your faculty requirements. By definition, Unrestricted Elective can be any module from NUS. Do take note, however, you can't s/u modules from your own faculty.

lol
07-27-2011, 10:05 PM
I am a non-LS major (fos undergraduate). but I would like to take LSM1302 to fulfil faculty requirement. In which round can i bid for it?

May I know if foreign languages can be used to fulfill breath?

Is Centre for Language Studies far from fos? because I have a foreign language lecture right before my major lecture in fos. :(

1. you can actually bid for it from round 1C if you're a freshie.
2. yes, they can be used to fulfill breadth.
3. you have to take a bus to reach there but classes always end 15 minutes earlier. don't worry too much about it.

Fireworkx
07-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Yes, they can be counted towards your UE, provided you have satisfied your faculty requirements. By definition, Unrestricted Elective can be any module from NUS. Do take note, however, you can't s/u modules from your own faculty.

Thanks so much. I get it now. :)

tatami
07-27-2011, 10:11 PM

1. you can actually bid for it from round 1C if you're a freshie.
2. yes, they can be used to fulfill breadth.
3. you have to take a bus to reach there but classes always end 15 minutes earlier. don't worry too much about it.

omg thanks for the reply :o . I really really appreciate it. Quite stress abt this whole bidding thing

lol
07-27-2011, 10:14 PM
omg thanks for the reply :o . I really really appreciate it. Quite stress abt this whole bidding thing

no problem. glad to be of service ;)!

Haseyo
07-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Same here... Quite stressed about the bidding thing. Lucky FOS got a mass bidding session tomorrow for the novices like us to help us out. I hope to meet a kind soul who will dish out the basics to me!

Anyone doing major in Life Sci & minor in Pharma Sci?

lishanshung
07-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Same here... Quite stressed about the bidding thing. Lucky FOS got a mass bidding session tomorrow for the novices like us to help us out. I hope to meet a kind soul who will dish out the basics to me!

Anyone doing major in Life Sci & minor in Pharma Sci?

You are not allowed to minor in phar sci yet. You have to submit an application when they email you about it at the end of sem 1 (subjected to changes) and successful applicants will be notified before the next sem begins.

Haseyo
07-28-2011, 12:36 AM
You are not allowed to minor in phar sci yet. You have to submit an application when they email you about it at the end of sem 1 (subjected to changes) and successful applicants will be notified before the next sem begins.

Hmm, actually I have just submitted my application form to Pharmacy Dept last Tues (26 Jul), the application deadline. I want to clear my UE in a timely manner and also, they informed me that I can use just 6 bid points for my entire minor because it is a restricted minor, so I don't have to worry about the rigours of bidding.. So I can save up more points for other modules.. Hope to find people in that minor! :D

friends
07-28-2011, 01:03 AM
This biding thing is really stressful... I hope someone can reply to my question before bidding starts!

1) once I start bidding for a module, if half way through I want to switch to a diff module, is it possible? And how?
2) the Sc1101E lecture is immediately after a major lecture, will I be late trying to get from fos to LT7A(foe). From what I understand I have to take a bus and walk there. And I've heard that during sch hours traveling between faculties become longer than usual. Just wanted to know how early lectures end and how promptly they start...

Thank you :)

andyarien
07-28-2011, 07:25 AM
This biding thing is really stressful... I hope someone can reply to my question before bidding starts!

1) once I start bidding for a module, if half way through I want to switch to a diff module, is it possible? And how?
2) the Sc1101E lecture is immediately after a major lecture, will I be late trying to get from fos to LT7A(foe). From what I understand I have to take a bus and walk there. And I've heard that during sch hours traveling between faculties become longer than usual. Just wanted to know how early lectures end and how promptly they start...

Thank you :)

Less than 2 hours to the start of your bidding, hope this will help! haha

1) When you want to bid for a module, you "Add New Module" from the Modules Management page and thereafter place your bids on the Bidding Management page. When you want to switch to a different module, you go to the Modules Management page, check the box beside the Module that you want to replace and click "Drop". Whatever points that you have placed for this module will be refunded to you. Similarly, add the new module same as before.

2) Nope, you won't likely be late. Take Bus 'C' from FoS to E3A of FoE. As you can see from the map, it's just a short walk to the LT from the bus-stop. Lectures normally end 15 mins earlier and start about 5-10 mins after the stated time, depending on lecturers. So, don't worry, you won't be late. :)

friends
07-28-2011, 10:36 AM
Less than 2 hours to the start of your bidding, hope this will help! haha

1) When you want to bid for a module, you "Add New Module" from the Modules Management page and thereafter place your bids on the Bidding Management page. When you want to switch to a different module, you go to the Modules Management page, check the box beside the Module that you want to replace and click "Drop". Whatever points that you have placed for this module will be refunded to you. Similarly, add the new module same as before.

2) Nope, you won't likely be late. Take Bus 'C' from FoS to E3A of FoE. As you can see from the map, it's just a short walk to the LT from the bus-stop. Lectures normally end 15 mins earlier and start about 5-10 mins after the stated time, depending on lecturers. So, don't worry, you won't be late. :)
Thank you so much!!! :D

Just another clarification, whats the diff between breadth mods and UE?

andyarien
07-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Thank you so much!!! :D

Just another clarification, whats the diff between breadth mods and UE?

No prob. Glad to help =) Breadth modules are those that must come from outside your faculty, in this case outside FoS. Unrestricted Elective, as the name suggests, can come from anywhere, even from FoS. But of course, you can't s/u the UE if it's from your home faculty.

sputnikmoments
07-28-2011, 12:34 PM
No prob. Glad to help =) Breadth modules are those that must come from outside your faculty, in this case outside FoS. Unrestricted Elective, as the name suggests, can come from anywhere, even from FoS. But of course, you can't s/u the UE if it's from your home faculty.

What's s/u?

andyarien
07-28-2011, 03:42 PM
What's s/u?

You can read it here http://www.nus.edu.sg/registrar/edu/UG/graduation.html#SU and http://www.science.nus.edu.sg/undergraduates/curriculum/suoption/index.html

Haseyo
07-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Seniors, help!

I have been pre-allocated LSM1301, CM1401 and LSM1104. But what's strange about this combination is that I am not supposed to take LSM1104 unless I pass LSM1301. I checked with LSOC desk and they said that it's perfectly alright since LSM1104 only requires O-level or H1 Biology. But I don't have it.. for me, it has been always physics & chemistry all the way. so they suggested that I could drop LSM1104 and read it in Semester 2, if I want to focus on LSM1301 first.

So how? Should I still go with LSM1301, CM1401 and LSM1104? Can cope or not? Or I just go with two pre-allocated LSM1301 and CM1401 and bid for 3 other modules?

yml.
07-30-2011, 12:43 AM
HI ALL :) I need your help.
1. I placed advanced bids for GEM & breadth modules in Round 1C, may i know when will I get the results?
2. if I do not manage to get the GEM & breadth module, I will be left with only 3 modules in sem 1. Is there anything i can do to add on modules?

andyarien
07-30-2011, 02:15 AM
1. I placed advanced bids for GEM & breadth modules in Round 1C, may i know when will I get the results?
2. if I do not manage to get the GEM & breadth module, I will be left with only 3 modules in sem 1. Is there anything i can do to add on modules?

1. Add the end of round 2A
2. Look for other GEM/Breadth modules in round 2B

yml.
07-30-2011, 10:31 AM
1. Add the end of round 2A
2. Look for other GEM/Breadth modules in round 2B

so, as a new student, I also can bid in other rounds besides round 1C?

TYVM :)

andyarien
07-30-2011, 02:14 PM
so, as a new student, I also can bid in other rounds besides round 1C?

TYVM :)

Yes, of course. You can bid in other rounds like the senior students. And you don't have any protection if you're bidding for GEM/SS/Breadths.

yml.
07-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Yes, of course. You can bid in other rounds like the senior students. And you don't have any protection if you're bidding for GEM/SS/Breadths.

oic...... thanks for the reply :)

lishanshung
07-31-2011, 11:10 AM

1. I suggest you monitor the bidding activities and change your bid accordingly before closed bidding. Results will be release within 5 hours after bidding round ends.

2. Get at least 5 mods before the end of round 2A. If you are unable to do so even after all bidding rounds end, you're left with the appeal option.

tatami
07-31-2011, 12:10 PM
since i did not sign up for any camps ... i would be free for week 1. I just wanna know if its weird to sign up just for rag when i did not sign up for sow?

yml.
07-31-2011, 02:51 PM
1. I suggest you monitor the bidding activities and change your bid accordingly before closed bidding. Results will be release within 5 hours after bidding round ends.

2. Get at least 5 mods before the end of round 2A. If you are unable to do so even after all bidding rounds end, you're left with the appeal option.

I see..... Thanks alot for your advice....

Fireworkx
07-31-2011, 04:09 PM
since i did not sign up for any camps ... i would be free for week 1. I just wanna know if its weird to sign up just for rag when i did not sign up for sow?

haha me too! but i heard ppl not in sow cant join anything else... :( are u still signing up?

tatami
07-31-2011, 05:32 PM
haha me too! but i heard ppl not in sow cant join anything else... :( are u still signing up?

huh really? i think im just gonna sign up and see if there is any respond

tatami
07-31-2011, 05:34 PM
Apparently there is Freshmen inauguration ceremony tomorrow (according to the calender given to freshmen ). Anyone know what is it all about? The ceremony is not for everyone?

Fireworkx
07-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Apparently there is Freshmen inauguration ceremony tomorrow (according to the calender given to freshmen ). Anyone know what is it all about? The ceremony is not for everyone?

Hmm, i heard its only for those in SOW... :(

btw, which major r u in? :D

tatami
07-31-2011, 06:01 PM
Hmm, i heard its only for those in SOW... :(

btw, which major r u in? :D

oh I see. I am majoring in stats. How about you?

Fireworkx
07-31-2011, 06:06 PM
oh I see. I am majoring in stats. How about you?

oh im in life sci. haha. so depressing not to be able to take part in any freshmen activities... (except registration lol)

lishanshung
08-01-2011, 12:13 AM
oh im in life sci. haha. so depressing not to be able to take part in any freshmen activities... (except registration lol)

There may be a one-day freshmen orientation by Life Sciences Society.

Haseyo
08-01-2011, 01:00 AM

Oh we will be kept posted about it via NUSNET email or ?

Fireworkx
08-01-2011, 08:53 AM

Oh? yeah, where do we look out for this activity?

snar123
08-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Is EC1101E not available to Science students? I cant seem to find it to bid

Fireworkx
08-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Hi, does anyone know where the life science laboratories 6 and 7 are specifically? cant seem to find them on the campus map in FoS.. Thanks :D

shimmer
08-01-2011, 10:56 PM
if I take a certain module as a GEM module, can it still be used to count towards a second major/minor? Do I have to do another GEM after I declare the second major/minor?
And if I do declare a second major/minor... what happens to breadth modules and all? (especially if the second mjor is a FASS major/minor?)

friends
08-03-2011, 10:43 AM
I'm a life sciences major too! And it is very depressing not to be a part of orientation. I do hope they have the one day orientation. How would we know about it though?

tatami
08-03-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm a life sciences major too! And it is very depressing not to be a part of orientation. I do hope they have the one day orientation. How would we know about it though?

Me too ! :/

Haseyo
08-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Don't forget me too! I'm already a bit depressed, doing nothing for this O-week.. No SCAMP, SOW, Rag & Flag Day. Just spent some days bidding in CORS alone.

What a thing to start our campus life.

firex
08-04-2011, 01:46 AM
hi! for u guys who havent have got the chance to go for orientation etc etc, do come down for NUS Rag Day which is on 9 August (before NDP). will post the details here later. on rag day, u can see the pride/unity/effort put in by the different faculties.

u can even come down to help at our rag site (block S16 near carpark; just look for a messy site with a lorry with a float on it) and approach the rag comm members to help. while helping, u can socialise with the ppl around and make friends. i've seen a few ppl who have not gone for any fop stuff and they are helping out.

hmm as for the life-sciences society one-day orientation....sorry, i don't have info on it...but i urge u guys to look out for it...will be good for u guys too.

lishanshung
08-04-2011, 02:59 AM
if I take a certain module as a GEM module, can it still be used to count towards a second major/minor? Do I have to do another GEM after I declare the second major/minor?
And if I do declare a second major/minor... what happens to breadth modules and all? (especially if the second mjor is a FASS major/minor?)

Yes. As an example, GEK1542 counts towards forensic minor and your sci gem.

If the modules you have taken are related to 2nd major/minor, then it will be considered as fulfilling your uni req and 2nd major/minor at the same time.

Let's say you take econs in year 1, and declare 2nd major in econs in year 2. That econs mod will be considered as part of fulfillment of 2nd major.

For restricted minors, you need to clear part of the minor, and go through some application before you are granted permission to take the minor.

Hope I answer your questions.

lishanshung
08-04-2011, 03:01 AM
Hi, does anyone know where the life science laboratories 6 and 7 are specifically? cant seem to find them on the campus map in FoS.. Thanks :D

Should be in building S1A, near LT32. I think on level 4 or 5.

lishanshung
08-04-2011, 03:11 AM

Me too ! :/

Don't forget me too! I'm already a bit depressed, doing nothing for this O-week.. No SCAMP, SOW, Rag & Flag Day. Just spent some days bidding in CORS alone.

What a thing to start our campus life.

About Life sciences society freshmen orientation, do check with student events on IVLE. Forgotten how was I notified last year. Last year, it was on 31st July. There might be an AGM and specialisation talk too sometime in August.

As firex has stated above, come help out with our Rag float. And join us during Rag day to support FOS float.

BTW, there are various CCA welcome tea sessions and introductory courses. I strongly recommend you guys to attend some to enjoy a more enriching university life. Nothing like getting to know friends through some sports or martial arts. =)

Fireworkx
08-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Should be in building S1A, near LT32. I think on level 4 or 5.

Oh okay thanks! :)

nixeij
08-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Hey how to check the venues for the different modules?

andyarien
08-05-2011, 07:07 PM

Venues? As in where the lectures/tutorials will be held? IVLE or CORS.

lishanshung
08-06-2011, 12:20 AM

IVLE Organiser.

Krauser
08-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Are there lectures this coming monday in nus?

tatami
08-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Are there lectures this coming monday in nus?

Nope. Lecture officially starts on 11th Aug

shimmer
08-07-2011, 12:25 AM
What about labs? When does lab starts? (same as tutorials?)

lishanshung
08-08-2011, 12:04 AM
What about labs? When does lab starts? (same as tutorials?)

Usually starts in Week 3.

firex
08-08-2011, 02:24 AM
oh there seems to be some confusion over lecture venues for some modules like Understanding the Universe, which will be held at CRE-LT.

CRE-LT shd be situated at the new U-Town. I guess freshies and seniors alike have to explore u-town too.

yml.
08-10-2011, 10:14 AM
hi seniors.....
May know how do I register for tutorial via IVLE? As in, what are the steps?
Thanks for your help.....

helly
08-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Hi all!

Does anyone have a clue as to how to get to TP-Aud? It's in UTown and it's the venue for my 8AM lecture tmr. Please help! Many thanks!

lishanshung
08-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Hi all!

Does anyone have a clue as to how to get to TP-Aud? It's in UTown and it's the venue for my 8AM lecture tmr. Please help! Many thanks!

Take bus D2 from FOS or bus D1 from anywhere else. Town Plaza is closest to the sole bus stop at UTown.
http://utown.nus.edu.sg/resources/images/UTown_Map.pdf

It's the building with Cheers and Subway.

lishanshung
08-11-2011, 12:15 AM
hi seniors.....
May know how do I register for tutorial via IVLE? As in, what are the steps?
Thanks for your help.....

1. Access IVLE
2. Click Groups (close to upper left corner)
3. Click "Tutorial groups" header (or anytg you need to register eg. labs)
4. Beside each slot, there will be a Yes|No link at the end. Click Yes for your desired slot.
5. That's all.

Just a reminder. Try to get it done asap to avoid traffic and get your desired slot.

Hope this helps.

shimmer
08-11-2011, 06:33 AM
I am majoring in Life Science. Do we need to buy lab coat and goggles for labwork?

lishanshung
08-12-2011, 12:19 AM
I am majoring in Life Science. Do we need to buy lab coat and goggles for labwork?

Welcome to Life Sciences. =) Yes, you need lab coat and goggles for labs.

yml.
08-12-2011, 08:20 PM
1. Access IVLE
2. Click Groups (close to upper left corner)
3. Click "Tutorial groups" header (or anytg you need to register eg. labs)
4. Beside each slot, there will be a Yes|No link at the end. Click Yes for your desired slot.
5. That's all.

Just a reminder. Try to get it done asap to avoid traffic and get your desired slot.

Hope this helps.

Thanks alot for your help :D

lishanshung
08-13-2011, 12:42 AM
NUS Life Sciences Society AGM+Welcome tea.

Date: 26th August 2011 (Friday)
Time: 6.30pm-8.00pm
Venue: LT 26

Don’t miss the opportunity to interact with your fellow coursemates and seniors over the refreshments!

For more information, please refer here. http://ivle.nus.edu.sg/customevents/student/view.aspx?evtid=1420da03-5ca1-4e40-a8a0-778a7845c8fd

Haseyo
08-14-2011, 02:04 AM
Oh yes! What calculator should I use for my major in Life Sciences? Because I know that I have to take ST1232 and some certain modules that involves a bit of maths?

That's because I sold my GC! OMG.

shimmer
08-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Will first tutorial start before first lecture?? (or lecture will always be first?)

lishanshung
08-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Will first tutorial start before first lecture?? (or lecture will always be first?)

No. Tutorials begin in week 3.

shimmer
08-20-2011, 06:06 PM
No. Tutorials begin in week 3.

:O Thanks :)

I have a urgent questions here seniors. Do we really need textooks or are lecture notes enough? Because right now the situation is...
Lecture notes more simplified then JC notes which are more simplified then... well textbooks =.=

I am taking Life Sciences btw.

lishanshung
08-21-2011, 12:10 AM

I have a urgent questions here seniors. Do we really need textooks or are lecture notes enough? Because right now the situation is...
Lecture notes more simplified then JC notes which are more simplified then... well textbooks =.=

Hi there, welcome to Life Sciences. For some modules (eg. LSM1104), lecture notes are more than enough. On the other hand, go for the textbooks to understand more about your modules. I suggest you get the textbooks for study and interest, LSM textbooks are actually quite interesting. =)

nixeij
08-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Hey all!

I am getting a little lost in my studies especially CM1401 AARRGH. All the notes for LSM1101, LSM1102 and CM1401 are really pretty more condensed than my own JC notes in the past! -_-!!

So I am getting a little stressed here, since unlike JC there are no 'outside school prelim papers' or TYS hahaha.

Can I ask about consultation? How does the system for booking consultation slots work for NUS?
I've tried to book for consultation in IVLE but there are no available slots shown. They say "No data found!"

So well. Zzzz.

nixeij
08-25-2011, 06:07 PM

Hi there! I agree also. Hahaha. SIAN!

firex
09-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Oh yes! What calculator should I use for my major in Life Sciences? Because I know that I have to take ST1232 and some certain modules that involves a bit of maths?

hi!

st1232....u most prob need only the normal scientific calculator. if i'm not wrong, the current guy lecturer is pretty good. he stresses his curriculum on interpretation and analysis of data rather than brute calculations etc (i think u know wad i mean). i hope it stays the same for ur batch ;D

firex
09-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Hey all!

I am getting a little lost in my studies especially CM1401 AARRGH. All the notes for LSM1101, LSM1102 and CM1401 are really pretty more condensed than my own JC notes in the past! -_-!!

So I am getting a little stressed here, since unlike JC there are no 'outside school prelim papers' or TYS hahaha.

Can I ask about consultation? How does the system for booking consultation slots work for NUS?
I've tried to book for consultation in IVLE but there are no available slots shown. They say "No data found!"

So well. Zzzz.

Halo! consultation for life sciences so far....is by emailing the prof and meeting him personally to ask questions...or u can just email him/her your question. If i remember correctly, the year one profs are pretty "hardworking" at ans qns. I remember asking Prof Wu Jinlu - you may not have a good impression of his speaking abilities when u get him later - but when it comes to answering emails, he's v generous with his explanations.

I believe consulations/QnAs for other majors are the same too.

firex
09-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Hi there! I agree also. Hahaha. SIAN!

my feeling up till now: every end year exams feels like taking another A-levels. But fret not, if you at least do some work consistently, u wont have to sweat and smack your head on the table a few days before your actual papers.

firex
09-01-2011, 04:37 PM
CM1401 unfortunately doesnt have past yr questions to practise on, but u can try the qns in the textbook e.g. McMurry at the end of each chapter. esp those qns that require many steps to reach the desired compounds. coz those kind....will almost surely be tested. don't give up guys! will also be good if u have study grps if you're not the lone-mugging type.

titaner
09-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Im accepted into NUS science and now currently serving ns. How do I actually apply for life sciences as my major? TIA

lishanshung
09-02-2011, 12:53 AM
Im accepted into NUS science and now currently serving ns. How do I actually apply for life sciences as my major? TIA

Declare when you have register as an NUS student after your ORD.

firex
09-09-2011, 07:09 PM

oops heard from my some ppl that GC will help for st1232....so maybe it's time to get one =X

yml.
12-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Hi all..
I need your help! I'm currently in year 1 & I have a few enquires.
1. Which round should I start bidding for my modules?
2. Any recommendation for SS modules? Any idea which SS modules that the final exams format is all MCQs?
3. Can I take any modules within my faculty as Unrestricted Electives? Or Unrestricted electives are only for modules outside of our faculty?

Thankyou so much! :D

lishanshung
12-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi all..
I need your help! I'm currently in year 1 & I have a few enquires.
1. Which round should I start bidding for my modules?
2. Any recommendation for SS modules? Any idea which SS modules that the final exams format is all MCQs?
3. Can I take any modules within my faculty as Unrestricted Electives? Or Unrestricted electives are only for modules outside of our faculty?

Thankyou so much! :D

1. 1A
2. SSS1207 Natural Heritage in Singapore. Midterm and Finals all mcq. Only available in sem 2. Other option would be SSB2216.
3. Yes. You can take anything within or outside faculty to fulfill your UE.

Darkzion
12-27-2011, 12:59 AM
Anyone from QF or know friend who are from QF here? What is the job prospect of the major?
Will an Hons in QF major able to find jobs tht are senior or higher ranking position?
Or is it necessary to futher study into PhD just like those with architect degrees in order to practice it?

shimmer
12-29-2011, 02:30 AM
anyone knows if taking Human Anatomy is a good idea? (Life science major here, have O level and A level Bio)

lishanshung
12-30-2011, 12:24 AM
anyone knows if taking Human Anatomy is a good idea? (Life science major here, have O level and A level Bio)

Highly recommended. I simply love it. You get to enter the anatomy museum with the sectioned out different parts of the body. You can even enter the dissection hall where you get to see a complete real corpse!

But be warned that the notes, lectures and textbooks are so full of information that it's all memorization, memorization and regurgitation. Bell curve is extremely steep since everyone has the same information. There are 2 written CA test and 1 written finals. That's all.

Highly recommendthis module. =D

helly
12-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Highly recommended. I simply love it. You get to enter the anatomy museum with the sectioned out different parts of the body. You can even enter the dissection hall where you get to see a complete real corpse!

But be warned that the notes, lectures and textbooks are so full of information that it's all memorization, memorization and regurgitation. Bell curve is extremely steep since everyone has the same information. There are 2 written CA test and 1 written finals. That's all.

Highly recommendthis module. =D

Is it okay to take the anatomy mod in yr2? wanted to take but timetable is hectic enough. Heard that in yr 2 is even more hectic, so best to take in yr1?

shimmer
12-31-2011, 12:06 AM
Guess I wont be taking it so soon then.... since I might be taking jap this sem and that mod is quite intensive.... (wary of brain memospace available =.=)

Would have been better if it could fulfill faq req though (unfortunately it cant because I am a Life Science Major)

Might take in year 2... I year 2 sem 2 isn't that bad. Sem one seems quite hectic though... (not very sure though, ehhh)

Guess I'll ask the same question as helly too... can take in year 2? Instead? As a UE.

lishanshung
12-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Is it okay to take the anatomy mod in yr2? wanted to take but timetable is hectic enough. Heard that in yr 2 is even more hectic, so best to take in yr1?

Theoretically recommended to take in year 1. LSM2101, 2102 and 2103 have no labs so I guess you can fit it more easily into your timetable. But note that year 2 cores = more memorization. Up to you though.

lishanshung
12-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Guess I wont be taking it so soon then.... since I might be taking jap this sem and that mod is quite intensive.... (wary of brain memospace available =.=)

Would have been better if it could fulfill faq req though (unfortunately it cant because I am a Life Science Major)

Might take in year 2... I year 2 sem 2 isn't that bad. Sem one seems quite hectic though... (not very sure though, ehhh)

Guess I'll ask the same question as helly too... can take in year 2? Instead? As a UE.

1. LSM1202 is only available in sem 2. Can fulfill UE.

Good luck taking Japanese. Not much memory space required for LAJ cuz you will be forced to study for the subject for the quizzes held during every tutorial and lecture. Would be a plus if you know some basic chinese and japanese (those who are taking Jap 1 are not complete amateurs due to exposure to anime, JPOP, J-Drama). And never ever be late for a single tut/lect session or your quizzes will suffer.

Happy bidding.

Kyra
03-17-2012, 03:28 PM
May i know how is it like studying chemistry in uni? And how different is it from studying chemistry in jc?
I would like to do medicine however i only qualify to apply for few overseas unis coz they all require AAA for h2s however i scored AAB.
I'm only be able to apply for entry in feb 2013 as this year's application has closed. also some of the unis would reject ur application immediately if they see that u have accepted an offer else where. the chances of getting accepted is really slim so I'll most probably have to apply to local u next year (coz my parents said medicine or nth if i wanna study overseas) :(
I heard that u can transfer to med school if u do really well in the first year (gpa 5) so I'm wondering what does it take to score well and what are the challenges, etc. Thanks.

Darkzion
03-17-2012, 05:05 PM
May i know how is it like studying chemistry in uni? And how different is it from studying chemistry in jc?
I would like to do medicine however i only qualify to apply for few overseas unis coz they all require AAA for h2s however i scored AAB.
I'm only be able to apply for entry in feb 2013 as this year's application has closed. also some of the unis would reject ur application immediately if they see that u have accepted an offer else where. the chances of getting accepted is really slim so I'll most probably have to apply to local u next year (coz my parents said medicine or nth if i wanna study overseas) :(
I heard that u can transfer to med school if u do really well in the first year (gpa 5) so I'm wondering what does it take to score well and what are the challenges, etc. Thanks.

from wat i know, if u are from pharmacy and did really well, u can opt to transfer to Med.. not so sure about chem... and in order to get 5.0 cap, the onli way is for u to be a genius and really talented in every module u take (which include other subjects, cos it is highly unlikely that u will take 10 chem mod in ur first year, due to the prerequisite of each mod).. but if u are jus an average joe, a 4.7 to 4.9 is still possible if u are prepared to mug like crazy every single day throughout the semester.

Kyra
03-17-2012, 10:51 PM
from wat i know, if u are from pharmacy and did really well, u can opt to transfer to Med.. not so sure about chem...
I meant transferring to overseas uni. I've heard of ppl transferring from unrelated courses

Needadvices
03-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Stay strong, for time flies in the Army :) I wished i had the stay-out life, but well, we're beyond that :)

I'm a 'confirmed' chemistry major (can't intend as I've sold my 1st 4 years after graduation to MOE on a teaching scholarship) as MOE has already assigned me Chemistry as my main teaching subject on graduation from NIE :S

If molecules and atoms are part of you, do consider Food Science (strong backing in Organic Chem. recommended). IMO, food science is more 'fun' and 'interesting' than stats (I didnt really have a thing for numbers back in school), unless you've a thing for endless matrics of numbers and variables of the (i dunno what) kind :D

Hey! im applying for MOE's scholarship via PSC gateway as well. Im thinking of studying chem eng. Do you think they will allow it even though i want to teach chem?

chivalry
03-25-2012, 12:33 AM
Hi all. I got ABB/D GP U PW A. Do I still stand a chance of getting into Science?

Haseyo
03-26-2012, 12:38 AM
Hi all. I got ABB/D GP U PW A. Do I still stand a chance of getting into Science?

Unfortunately no. Your GP grade kills your chance. I speak from my experience. Seek alternative routes? All the best!

chivalry
03-26-2012, 01:04 AM
Unfortunately no. Your GP grade kills your chance. I speak from my experience. Seek alternative routes? All the best!

Hais. I'm quite sad when I read this. What do you mean by 'alternative routes'? I have no chance of getting into NUS?

Darkzion
03-26-2012, 07:38 PM

i know someone who got in with GP U last year... but her grade slightly better than u i think.

Haseyo
03-27-2012, 01:47 AM
Hais. I'm quite sad when I read this. What do you mean by 'alternative routes'? I have no chance of getting into NUS?

Sorry if I make you sad, but that's how it is like in reality. Alternative routes as in SIM, retaking As, poly, overseas Unis, or least popular courses (this one, I won't recommend; you will just die in it if you don't have any interest in it).

And oh, if you are talking about Science, your chances may be close to zero even with discretionary admissions. I applied for Science for the first time with discretionary admissions because of my below-average results (quite below the 10th percentile of indicative grade profile for Science), but I didn't get called up in the end. So I retook As and then applied for same course, also with discretionary admissions. This time, I just got accepted into it without being called up for interview.

But if you are talking about any NUS course in general, you might want to consider the least popular courses such as Nursing, etc.. Go look up the indicative grade profiles of the least popular courses. You *might* have some chance with discretionary admissions although I won't recommend this strategy. Jia you!

bkwan
04-12-2012, 09:28 AM
I have another concern here. I applied for NUS science.
Do I have to take a first year common course before I'm being choosen to go either Chemistry, Physic, or Maths? Or can I directly choose to Major In chemisry when I enter NUS?

Darkzion
04-12-2012, 11:59 PM
I have another concern here. I applied for NUS science.
Do I have to take a first year common course before I'm being choosen to go either Chemistry, Physic, or Maths? Or can I directly choose to Major In chemisry when I enter NUS?

you are free to choose any major u wan (provided u satisfy the Alvl subject pre-requisite) during the start of EVERY semester... so u can declare urself to major in chemistry during year1 sem1, major in physics during year1 sem2, major in math in year2 sem1 and so on... but of cos doing so will be pointless... but the point is u can choose watever major u wan.

Haseyo
04-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Yes, you can declare your major in CORS (online system, you will find out later when you enrol). But the caveat is that the earlier you declare, the higher priority you will get the pre-allocated Year 1 modules as a freshman and the smoother your module planning will be.

bkwan
04-13-2012, 07:03 AM
Alright, thank you so much! :DDD

jongwee
04-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Got offered Science by NUS and accepted the college's offer. 2014/2015 intake :D:D

Sir-
04-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Hi all I was offered FoS for the year 2013/2014. Would like to ask if having an honours is a must if one wants to be considered for admission into graduate medical schools ? Wouldn't want to waste a year lol

akitmitsu
04-22-2012, 11:08 PM
I received an email notifying me of my DA interview for the Faculty of Science. Does anyone know what I should expect? Thanks.

shadyshark
04-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Hi does anyone noe the lowest cut off for fos this yr so far?

Needadvices
04-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Hi all!!

I got accepted into both NUS and NTU Chemical engineering. Which do you think i should go & why? (other than comparing rankings?)

helly
04-28-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm asking this on the behalf of my friend.
In our official transcript, when we finally graduate from NUS, it will only include grades of the modules we have taken AND successfully earned the module MCs?
For example, you got a U through S/U option and the MC for that mod is not counted in, will the grades be reflected in your official transcript?

Crappist
04-29-2012, 01:19 AM
Can I major in Econs or switch to Econs? I'm offered NUS Science, but I'm thinking of taking Math, App Math while having Econs major. Not too sure if it can be done or what are the chances of taking both Econs and Math in NUS Science.

Darkzion
04-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Can I major in Econs or switch to Econs? I'm offered NUS Science, but I'm thinking of taking Math, App Math while having Econs major. Not too sure if it can be done or what are the chances of taking both Econs and Math in NUS Science.

u can declare math/app math as ur primary major and apply for second major in econs after completing 2 semesters and fulfilling certain modules requirement.

Crappist
04-29-2012, 01:40 PM
I read that the requirement is 3.5 GPA and my friend it's average of B. Because I don't want to end up completing only Maths. Seems like the banking options are quite little if I were to graduate with Maths, and most likely I will end up as a math teacher? :eek:

Darkzion
04-29-2012, 02:18 PM
I read that the requirement is 3.5 GPA and my friend it's average of B. Because I don't want to end up completing only Maths. Seems like the banking options are quite little if I were to graduate with Maths, and most likely I will end up as a math teacher? :eek:

if u put in effort 3.5 is a very easy target even for a math major, which i would say the competition is general stiffer. Anyway, i do heard of ppl from stats who transfer out of science n go to arts after 1-2 sem cos they cant cope with it... but i think there are probably some restrictions/requirement (which im not sure wat are they) if u wan to opt for transfer.

Merilyn
04-29-2012, 03:29 PM
hi, has anyone received the acceptance letter from NUS or NTU science faculty?

JCYS
04-29-2012, 03:33 PM
hi, has anyone received the acceptance letter from NUS or NTU science faculty?

Hi! I received my offer from NUS FOS! You Will get yours soon ! :)

maxie
04-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Hi! I received my offer from NUS FOS! You Will get yours soon ! :)

I got it too! Anyway, is it a direct honours?

fkleun
04-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Hi.
Direct Honours does not mean that you will definitely get a degree with honours when u graduate. You will need to do significantly well in uni to get the honours. Thats what i think haha.

monster
04-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Anyone went for a DA interview at FOS already? :) Would you care to share what to expect about it? :D

rsbz
04-29-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm a year 1 student in SIM, and I tried to apply for local u for the second time. FASS was my first choice, Science second. And I got admitted into Science. I'm wondering taking Econs in FASS, and majoring Econs under Math or App Math, what is the difference? Are the jobs prospects still the same? I heard that it's easier to score in FASS from my friend.. Read from NUS FAQ page that we have to fulfill some module and min of GPA 3.5 to 2nd major Economics.. I will try to appeal into FASS but the chances are slim because I know it's tough competition.

maxie
04-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Hi.
Direct Honours does not mean that you will definitely get a degree with honours when u graduate. You will need to do significantly well in uni to get the honours. Thats what i think haha.

But we are actually offered with a degree with honours right? However, if we do not meet the criteria, we are then not able to get the honours. Btw, is it the same in NTU too? :D

akitmitsu
04-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Anyone went for a DA interview at FOS already? :) Would you care to share what to expect about it? :D

Hi monster,

Just went for the interview today. Hm..they will ask the basic questions like 'why do you want this course' and might also ask about your DA (if you applied by DA). They are looking for interest, so there's where most of the questions would come from. It ain't scary, the interviewers are nice people :) Oh but please bring your nric, it is really needed for verification when you go to the receptionist. ;) Are you going for the interview? May I ask when and what course you're interested in? Thanks. Out of curiousity, btw.

Merilyn
04-30-2012, 11:00 PM
Hi monster,

Just went for the interview today. Hm..they will ask the basic questions like 'why do you want this course' and might also ask about your DA (if you applied by DA). They are looking for interest, so there's where most of the questions would come from. It ain't scary, the interviewers are nice people :) Oh but please bring your nric, it is really needed for verification when you go to the receptionist. ;) Are you going for the interview? May I ask when and what course you're interested in? Thanks. Out of curiousity, btw.

hi, do we need to prepare any doc for DA or any other doc? cos i see interview for other course need portfolios :)

shadyshark
04-30-2012, 11:47 PM
Hi does anyone know of ppl who got in FOS this yr with grades below the cutoff? Care to share their uas? Cos I'm thinking of appealing, but gotta make the right choice with something close to my UAS, since I only got 1 chance to appeal to 1 course only :)

rsbz
05-01-2012, 01:25 AM
Hi does anyone know of ppl who got in FOS this yr with grades below the cutoff? Care to share their uas? Cos I'm thinking of appealing, but gotta make the right choice with something close to my UAS, since I only got 1 chance to appeal to 1 course only :)

If you are referring to the ABB/B NUS Science cut off, I'm below the cut off. :-/ I got ABD for H2s and my H1 Physics was terrible. I got E. For H2, my D was actually Chemistry. Kind of surprised I was accepted. So I think you can give it a try!

shadyshark
05-01-2012, 07:49 AM
If you are referring to the ABB/B NUS Science cut off, I'm below the cut off. :-/ I got ABD for H2s and my H1 Physics was terrible. I got E. For H2, my D was actually Chemistry. Kind of surprised I was accepted. So I think you can give it a try!

I gt ABD/C :(, U tink its possible? May i noe ur uas btw? U can pm if u wan...i think cos they look more at uas?

akitmitsu
05-01-2012, 11:05 AM
hi, do we need to prepare any doc for DA or any other doc? cos i see interview for other course need portfolios :)

Hi Merilyn,

Nope, you don't need to. They have read your DA documents previously so you don't have to provide the same docs again. I think its only if you have:

The interview w/o DA
Want to show more activities (since they only give you 2-3 in DA) that can support your application

I think other interviews (do you mean architecture etc.?) require those cos thats the first time they meet the applicant, so there's no way of knowing firsthand what they can offer. And i guess courses like medicine is to source out the all-rounded applicants (? sorry if i'm mistaken). So don't worry bout portfolios. :) May I ask when is your interview? Good luck anyway! :D

tkyl
05-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Hi all,

can someone help me in explaining how students of FOS choose their majors? will there be extra advantages for people with very good A level/diploma entry results in choosing of their majors? Also, can we get to choose any majors we like and be able to get into that major?

Thanks!

Darkzion
05-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Hi all,

can someone help me in explaining how students of FOS choose their majors? will there be extra advantages for people with very good A level/diploma entry results in choosing of their majors? Also, can we get to choose any majors we like and be able to get into that major?

Thanks!

You can choose any major u wan at the beginning of each semester as long as you fulfill the A'lvl, O'lvl, etc. requirement. If you does not fulfill such requirement, certain modules such as life science still allows you to choose it as major but u must read an introduction module in your first semester.

For Quantitative Finance, u can onli apply for it after your first year and will onli be granted to those with exceptional results.

There are no advantage in choosing major for those with better A'lvl results that im aware of.

iAccidentally
05-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Hi, I recently received an offer for FOS. However, I already have a reserved place in NTU MAEC.

I am currently torn between both choices. If i were to enter FOS, i would want to major in QF. However, I realised that QF is extremely competitive, and the quota per year is very small. As such, I hope that anyone that is currently in QF could give me some advice regarding the life and regime of a QF student.

If i am unable to get in QF in the second year, I was thinking about going into Applied Maths with the focus in financial mathematics. I would like to know how much disadvantage i would be compared to a QF student, as well as a student taking MAEC in ntu.

Another factor is that I really prefer NUS over NTU due to various reasons.

Thank you in advance for taking time to answer my questions.

Merilyn
05-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Hi Merilyn,

Nope, you don't need to. They have read your DA documents previously so you don't have to provide the same docs again. I think its only if you have:

The interview w/o DA
Want to show more activities (since they only give you 2-3 in DA) that can support your application

I think other interviews (do you mean architecture etc.?) require those cos thats the first time they meet the applicant, so there's no way of knowing firsthand what they can offer. And i guess courses like medicine is to source out the all-rounded applicants (? sorry if i'm mistaken). So don't worry bout portfolios. :) May I ask when is your interview? Good luck anyway! :D

Hee thx :) mine's on friday and i can't help feeling nervous..may i know whats the succeeding rate?

Darkzion
05-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Hi, I recently received an offer for FOS. However, I already have a reserved place in NTU MAEC.

I am currently torn between both choices. If i were to enter FOS, i would want to major in QF. However, I realised that QF is extremely competitive, and the quota per year is very small. As such, I hope that anyone that is currently in QF could give me some advice regarding the life and regime of a QF student.

If i am unable to get in QF in the second year, I was thinking about going into Applied Maths with the focus in financial mathematics. I would like to know how much disadvantage i would be compared to a QF student, as well as a student taking MAEC in ntu.

Another factor is that I really prefer NUS over NTU due to various reasons.

Thank you in advance for taking time to answer my questions.

google 'nus qf junior talk' and look for their presentation slides. its a 2010 presentation but i guess it is still relevant. expect interview if u can get a cap of atleast 4.6. Some say it is easier for singaporean (>4.3) but im not sure how true is it.

Anyway, i heard from a senior who is in QF year 2 goin year 3 now, for the AY2011/12 batch it is extremely competitive and he believe that even a 5.0 need interview. not sure if such competitiveness will continue.

rsbz
05-02-2012, 07:28 PM
I gt ABD/C :(, U tink its possible? May i noe ur uas btw? U can pm if u wan...i think cos they look more at uas?

My UAS is 72. Yours?

akitmitsu
05-03-2012, 11:41 AM
may i know whats the succeeding rate?

Hi Merilyn,

Good luck k! :) May I know what you intend to study (sorry if you have mentioned it before, I'm getting a little confused of who's studying what now :o ) Oh and do tell me how it went k? ;)

I'm sorry but I don't know whats the succeeding rate, really. But if you look deeper in some of the threads here (for FOS DA anyway) it seems its not as low as some of us think. I know haute who went by DA asked the NUS people before and they/he/she said that they interview about the right no. of people to let in through DA. That being said, there will always be people that get rejected, probably cos they did not fare well in the interview. Then, waffles did mention this:

I doubt there will be a high rejection rate. The fact that they shortlisted you out of so many potential candidates shows that they see something in you that others may not have, hence there should be a good chance of being accepted for the course. Unless, of course, you did extremely bad for your interview.

Hope this helps. :D

sy93
05-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Hey any Chemistry students care to share how isit like in FOS? :D
Been reading posts about how it's different from A level Chemistry, but how isit different? :O

Yang
05-04-2012, 08:54 PM
anyone going food science? :D

Merilyn
05-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Hi Merilyn,

Good luck k! :) May I know what you intend to study (sorry if you have mentioned it before, I'm getting a little confused of who's studying what now :o ) Oh and do tell me how it went k? ;)

I'm sorry but I don't know whats the succeeding rate, really. But if you look deeper in some of the threads here (for FOS DA anyway) it seems its not as low as some of us think. I know haute who went by DA asked the NUS people before and they/he/she said that they interview about the right no. of people to let in through DA. That being said, there will always be people that get rejected, probably cos they did not fare well in the interview. Then, waffles did mention this:

Hope this helps. :D

Hi, just went for the interview on Fri, hope i didnt screw up the interview cos though the prof asked generic qn but the other guy who was an alumni actually asked qns like wat theorem in math do u like or feel fascinated abt n i answered crap ans...

akitmitsu
05-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Hi, just went for the interview on Fri, hope i didnt screw up the interview cos though the prof asked generic qn but the other guy who was an alumni actually asked qns like wat theorem in math do u like or feel fascinated abt n i answered crap ans...

Hi Merilyn,

Have almost-zero knowledge of Maths so I can't say what should be a better answer :o but, I think the definition of 'crap' really varies from 1 person to another. So don't fret too much about it. You had other questions too right? I think as long as you handled the math question ok and answered the rest of the questions well, you should be fine. :) Let's hope for the best k?

Merilyn
05-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Hi Merilyn,

Have almost-zero knowledge of Maths so I can't say what should be a better answer :o but, I think the definition of 'crap' really varies from 1 person to another. So don't fret too much about it. You had other questions too right? I think as long as you handled the math question ok and answered the rest of the questions well, you should be fine. :) Let's hope for the best k?

hee yup, quite right..lets hope that everyone who got interviewed cld get into their dream courses:D

Zi'Ang.C
05-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Hey any Chemistry students care to share how isit like in FOS? :D
Been reading posts about how it's different from A level Chemistry, but how isit different? :O

heys,

chemistry in NUS is WAYYY different from A level ;) lots of new stuff and depth will be covered (esp for organic and physical chem), whereas inorganic chemistry will be more of a recap of what youve learnt in JC. For organic chemistry, you'll mainly cover depth (reactions covered in JC in detail), whereas for physical chemistry, it's a combination of both breadth and depth. INorganic chemistry, if Im correct, should stay as a 'do you know' module loaded with fun facts :)

when it comes to grades, the bell curve plays a heavy role in chemistry. if it's easy to get A or even B in chem at A levels, its not be the case in chemistry in NUS. note that youre against people of your calibre or better. While hard work is essential for NUS chemistry, a sharp mind is needed to grasp concepts and 'see patterns' ;)

cheers

monster
05-07-2012, 12:06 AM
heys,

chemistry in NUS is WAYYY different from A level ;) lots of new stuff and depth will be covered (esp for organic and physical chem), whereas inorganic chemistry will be more of a recap of what youve learnt in JC. For organic chemistry, you'll mainly cover depth (reactions covered in JC in detail), whereas for physical chemistry, it's a combination of both breadth and depth. INorganic chemistry, if Im correct, should stay as a 'do you know' module loaded with fun facts :)

when it comes to grades, the bell curve plays a heavy role in chemistry. if it's easy to get A or even B in chem at A levels, its not be the case in chemistry in NUS. note that youre against people of your calibre or better. While hard work is essential for NUS chemistry, a sharp mind is needed to grasp concepts and 'see patterns' ;)

cheers

Wow, it seems real tough :/

shadyshark
05-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Hi can anyone share what is the difference btwn maths/applied maths/statistics in fos? I would mainly like to know wad is it abt, wad u actually study and career prospects etc. Also how different is studying these maths-related stuff from jc? Hope anyone who hav info on this or seniors can share abt it, thnx! :)

akitmitsu
05-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Hi guys,

Looks like FOS is sending their offers in one shot (or maybe within this few days). I got into Science this morning, along with others who had their interview later on. So for those still waiting, you should receive news soon. :) Hope to see you guys in FOS! :D

iAccidentally
05-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Hi,

I've been recently admitted into NUS FoS and I plan on taking a double major. However, the double major system of NUS seems pretty confusing.

I plan on making my first major applied maths with an interest in financial maths and my second major in economics.

I would like to know if this is possible and how many more modules you would have to take as compared to a single major. Also, are there any requirements when applying for such a double major?

Thanks in advance.

akitmitsu
05-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Hi,

Did any of you go for the FOS open house last Saturday?

I think the open house was not as informative as I wished it would be, but it was ok. Here are some things I learnt from the open house (Life Sciences) below:

Job Prospects

I did manage to find out the common occupations of Life Science students (Education and Financial Services been the most for BSc, and R&D and Further Education being the most for students with Honours degrees.)

Overseas Opportunities

DBS have exceeded its initial target of getting 50% of its students to go overseas, reaching around 60-70% currently. It hopes to hit 70%. So overseas opportunities seem to be increasingly easy for students to get, be it for SEP, Summer Programme or Research. :) I didn't attend the talk focusing on Global Opportunities so I'm not sure of the details.

Science Publications/Works

DBS has the most scientific reports published in Molecular & Cell Biology (70+ papers), followed by Biomedical Science and lastly, Environmental Biology. Can't remember the other details sorry.

Percentage of students able to reach Honours Year

Asked one of the people mending the booth. Not very clearly stated, but ihe said its less than 1/2 :( and the min CAP required to enter the final year is 3.5. Im not too sure if this is reliable though cos he did say he isnt from FoS (im not sure why he's there either, he told me he graduated with a communications major).

UROPS

As many of you know, students would require a min. CAP of 3.0 to enter the programme.
Subjects range from studying specific mRNA to ecology and its done by the individual alone (no friends) and his/her mentor.
Its quite heavy, since seniors I spoke to said that their friends taking UROPS are usually spending most of their free time and holidays doing the lab research required in UROPS.
However, they also told me that students should give it a shot as it really is a much more in-depth research experience, something that you would see in the working world.
Forgot to ask if the projects done are student-initiated or dependent on the supervising professors. :confused: Anyone knows?

Thats about it, Im not sure if I was just unlucky at the booths, but I wished there was someone who knew about DBS better (like a Year3 student, alumini or prof) so that I could ask more about the curriculum. Anyone else would like to share what they learnt from the open house or add on what I have mentioned? :)

PS: Anyone knows the difference between the Science Club's SOW and other Science Clubs (e.g. LSS) Orientations? Thanks. There were so many of them promoting their camps but there weren't much details given.

Merilyn
05-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Hi, i also went for life science open house, but its not very informative abt the course and now i really dont know which to choose: math or life sci...and anyone knows wats the difference between double major and double degree (if i were to choose double major the degree follow which major?)

muhdsml
05-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Hi, i also went for life science open house, but its not very informative abt the course and now i really dont know which to choose: math or life sci...and anyone knows wats the difference between double major and double degree (if i were to choose double major the degree follow which major?)
"NUS Double Degree Programmes (DDPs) allow students to graduate with two different degrees in two disciplines from the same Faculty/School or two different Faculties/Schools within NUS"
"A Double Major is a single degree programme, in which a student satisfies the requirements of two Majors. It is conceived as an opportunity for students to broaden their knowledge and capacities by pursuing a second Major alongside their primary Major"
-source: http://www.nus.edu.sg/registrar/edu/UG/special-undergrad-prog.html

Yea that page has all the details about how modules are counted etc. hope that helps!

iAccidentally
05-23-2012, 07:10 AM
I've been recently admitted into NUS FoS and I plan on taking a double major. I plan on making my first major applied maths with an interest in financial maths and my second major in economics.

I would like to know how many more modules you would have to take as compared to a single major. Also, are there any hidden requirements (other than those stated on the webpage already) when applying for such a double major?

In addition, I was hoping if any current student in Applied Maths would explain to me whether that course is very popular/competitive and some general information regarding the course like future job prospects.

Thanks in advance.

akitmitsu
05-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Hi. I would like to ask some questions regarding the various science orientation camps. :)

What is the difference between the main camp SOW and other camps like the Life Sciences camp?

Is it just the games they play? From what I know, both help freshmen out with CORS and provide avenues to mix with people studying the same major, which to me are the most important activities I would like to participate in.

Are there any initimate games (i.e. boy-girl dating,touching etc.).

I'm quite conservative so I do prefer not to join a camp with those activities. Thats probably why I won't be joing SCAMP really.

Where can I get more information of the non-main camps?

I do know SCAMP and SOW have their own sites & facebook walls, but how about the rest?

Thank you. I look forward to your replies.

Merilyn
05-24-2012, 05:31 PM
"NUS Double Degree Programmes (DDPs) allow students to graduate with two different degrees in two disciplines from the same Faculty/School or two different Faculties/Schools within NUS"
"A Double Major is a single degree programme, in which a student satisfies the requirements of two Majors. It is conceived as an opportunity for students to broaden their knowledge and capacities by pursuing a second Major alongside their primary Major"
-source: http://www.nus.edu.sg/registrar/edu/UG/special-undergrad-prog.html

Yea that page has all the details about how modules are counted etc. hope that helps!

Thx:) hee but i'm still a little confused abt how they calculate the CAPS, anyways thx a lot :)

akitmitsu
05-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Hi again, I have emailed the SOW committee regarding its camp.

What is the difference between the main camp SOW and other camps like the Life Sciences camp?

"Apart from the games involved, SOW'12 is different from other camps in that it is THE OFFICIAL orientation camp by the Faculty of Science; the scale of the camp will be similar to that of a JC orientation.

We have dedicated a part of our programme to the actual CORS bidding, with seniors around so that your questions may be answered on the spot as you bid for your modules."

Are there any initimate games (i.e. boy-girl dating,touching etc.).

"We do have an activity known as Secret Pal (aka SP) which somewhat simulates a "dating" activity. There will be some games involved that require some physical contact, but we will not allow any inappropriate action that may be viewed as obscene or suggestive."

Other info about SOW:

Question: Since SOW is an overnight camp, would food and accomodation (for sleep-over) be provided?

SOW'12 will be a 5 day 4 night overnight camp, with meals and accommodations provided, though we would require participants to bring their own sleeping bags.

Question: Extent of straining in physical activities conducted in the camp?

There will be games that will take place under the sun. However, our games will not test the limits of physical ability of an average person, and you will not be coerced into doing anything against your will or comfort. We will also ensure that all participants have easy access to water and have contingency plans for any safety or medical emergencies.

Hope that I managed to answer some of your queries regarding SOW (and mine as well :p )

ailing(:
05-25-2012, 11:57 PM
Hi!
i wish to take on a double degree/double major in life science+biz admin/life science+mgmt. Is it only possible for me to apply during my 2nd year? and is that a specific min cap in order for me to apply? and by doing a double degree in life science+biz admin, is it possible to get honours for both?

thanks!

muhdsml
05-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Hi!
i wish to take on a double degree/double major in life science+biz admin/life science+mgmt. Is it only possible for me to apply during my 2nd year? and is that a specific min cap in order for me to apply? and by doing a double degree in life science+biz admin, is it possible to get honours for both?

thanks!
To complete a double degree with double honours requires 200 modular credits and that works up to around 5 yrs of study. But for double degree with single honours requires 180 MCs so around 4 1/2 years of study. Im not really sure about applying for the double degree programme after entering nus.

For double major, which is a single degree programme, the second major is a non-honours major. So i guess only the primary major can be a Honours major.

xiann
05-28-2012, 11:41 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg196/scaled.php?server=196&filename=kungfushowdownflyerv790.jpg&res=landing

Sign up now @ https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dE40SUcwODNacnJOM2hWd0VYMHo2Q1E6M Q
Also like us on our fb page @ https://www.facebook.com/sciencecamp.nus

rsbz
06-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Who's going for SCAMP? I'm a lone ranger! :-(

shadyshark
06-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Hi does anyone noe the difference btwn applied Maths n statistics? I'm at a dilemma Btwn these 2 majors. Like the stuff they study, can anyone give some examples on it? Career prospects any diff? Oso in terms of modules, which has a more like rigorous one.? Thnx!

Darkzion
06-16-2012, 11:58 PM
Hi does anyone noe the difference btwn applied Maths n statistics? I'm at a dilemma Btwn these 2 majors. Like the stuff they study, can anyone give some examples on it?

i believe the difference btw the 2 major and wat u will study for each respective major is easily available by searching on google... it took me about 10s to find the relevant link on google, so either u r plain lazy waiting to be spoon fed or it was not something u were looking for.. in that case maybe u can be more specific on wat u wan to know regarding the course.

Career prospects any diff? Oso in terms of modules, which has a more like rigorous one.? Thnx!

i have yet to take higher lvl ST modules, so im not too sure.. but at lower lvl, MA modules are much more rigorous than ST modules.

shadyshark
06-17-2012, 12:11 AM
i believe the difference btw the 2 major and wat u will study for each respective major is easily available by searching on google... it took me about 10s to find the relevant link on google, so either u r plain lazy waiting to be spoon fed or it was not something u were looking for.. in that case maybe u can be more specific on wat u wan to know regarding the course.

i have yet to take higher lvl ST modules, so im not too sure.. but at lower lvl, MA modules are much more rigorous than ST modules.

Hi yes, i did check the respective mod descript. But am still clueless abt certain areas. Examples of the mods, meaning like the kind of teaching method? (Cant put it to words)...like how they go abt teaching u the stuff. Exam qns, like possible to give some examples? Maybe it could give me a clearer pic on the mods.

Basically i like maths cos im strong in it. I do noe doing well in jc does not equate to tat in uni, but im the kind that my interests grows wif strength. But for stats it seems more applicable n realistic kind to our lives? Correct me if im wrg. But im worried abt probabilty part, is it very heavy weightage? Im nt gd at tat so yea...

Darkzion
06-17-2012, 02:38 AM
Hi yes, i did check the respective mod descript. But am still clueless abt certain areas. Examples of the mods, meaning like the kind of teaching method? (Cant put it to words)...like how they go abt teaching u the stuff. Exam qns, like possible to give some examples? Maybe it could give me a clearer pic on the mods.

Basically i like maths cos im strong in it. I do noe doing well in jc does not equate to tat in uni, but im the kind that my interests grows wif strength. But for stats it seems more applicable n realistic kind to our lives? Correct me if im wrg. But im worried abt probabilty part, is it very heavy weightage? Im nt gd at tat so yea...

teaching method:
usually 2x 1.5hrs lecture per week, where lecturer go through the lecture notes which will be uploaded and avaliable for download by students enrolled into the module... there will also be a recommended textbook where most of the materials in the lecture notes is based upon. havin the textbook is optional but it might provide more thorough explanation on certain concepts and some additional questions for u to practice on.

1hr tutorial where tutor will go through tutorial questions (avaliable for download also) expect PRC tutor with mild to strong accents. tutorial questions usually no need to hand up.

graded homework assignments are sometimes given, most ma/st module i have taken give out assignments bi-weekly, but some mod will have weekly assignments. gather a group of friends to compare ans as most ppl get full mark for all the assignments.

exam questions: A lvl is extremely easy compared to NUS math. more proofing questions.. do not be fooled by mid-term, sometimes mid-term paper will be easy and finals will be very difficult and vice versa. u can access past year papers @ nus lib portal once u have ur student acc, or u can ask for acc now from ur friend/gf/whoever that is currently a student in nus if u dun have one yet.

And im sure u r aware that most modules, particularly those lower lvl with large number of students are bell-curved based, so competition will be stiff as u r competing with all those PRC scholars and other mathematically inclined singaporean students... if u went through the typical A'lvl route, work on ur proofing as i believe A'lvl does not prepare us for doing proofs at uni level. jus some reference; i know 2 friend who got A for their Alvl math but got a C+ in MA1102R (one of the mod that u will most likely be taking in ur first sem whether u r st or ma major) even tho they work quite hard for it.

for probability, there is one module entirely on it (ST2131/MA2216) which is compulsory for st major, not so sure for ma major tho... this mod will lay the foundation for ST2132 and many other lvl 4000 st mods, so it is a very important mod for those majoring int ST.

shadyshark
06-17-2012, 09:14 PM
teaching method:
usually 2x 1.5hrs lecture per week, where lecturer go through the lecture notes which will be uploaded and avaliable for download by students enrolled into the module... there will also be a recommended textbook where most of the materials in the lecture notes is based upon. havin the textbook is optional but it might provide more thorough explanation on certain concepts and some additional questions for u to practice on.

1hr tutorial where tutor will go through tutorial questions (avaliable for download also) expect PRC tutor with mild to strong accents. tutorial questions usually no need to hand up.

graded homework assignments are sometimes given, most ma/st module i have taken give out assignments bi-weekly, but some mod will have weekly assignments. gather a group of friends to compare ans as most ppl get full mark for all the assignments.

exam questions: A lvl is extremely easy compared to NUS math. more proofing questions.. do not be fooled by mid-term, sometimes mid-term paper will be easy and finals will be very difficult and vice versa. u can access past year papers @ nus lib portal once u have ur student acc, or u can ask for acc now from ur friend/gf/whoever that is currently a student in nus if u dun have one yet.

And im sure u r aware that most modules, particularly those lower lvl with large number of students are bell-curved based, so competition will be stiff as u r competing with all those PRC scholars and other mathematically inclined singaporean students... if u went through the typical A'lvl route, work on ur proofing as i believe A'lvl does not prepare us for doing proofs at uni level. jus some reference; i know 2 friend who got A for their Alvl math but got a C+ in MA1102R (one of the mod that u will most likely be taking in ur first sem whether u r st or ma major) even tho they work quite hard for it.

for probability, there is one module entirely on it (ST2131/MA2216) which is compulsory for st major, not so sure for ma major tho... this mod will lay the foundation for ST2132 and many other lvl 4000 st mods, so it is a very important mod for those majoring int ST.

Hi there! Thnx for the detailed reply. Is is true that fos students generally dont need to bid for their major modules? cos its pre-allocated? or do u still have the like 'choose n bid' the mods u wanna study?

Darkzion
06-17-2012, 11:10 PM
Hi there! Thnx for the detailed reply. Is is true that fos students generally dont need to bid for their major modules? cos its pre-allocated? or do u still have the like 'choose n bid' the mods u wanna study?

i dun think pre-allocation applies to st and ma majors... i onli heard of LSM have such pre-allocation.

akitmitsu
06-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Hi seniors,

I am interested in studying SSS1207 Natural heritage of Singapore to fulfil the Singapore Studies component of University Requirements. Hence, I would like to ask seniors how it is like.

Does it focus on identification of different natural habitats in Singapore, their value and how they are effected by development or conservation efforts?

In addition, I noted that students are expected to undertake self-directed field trips at their own time. Is this difficult to do during the semester? (where we are supposedly studying really hard for other modules)

How difficult is it to score well?

This may be a bit difficult to answer (since students usually only take 1 SS module), but does anyone know how SSS1207 compares to SSA2215 The Biophysical Envrionment of Singapore (in terms of what they cover and level of difficulty)

Thank you. :) I look forward to your reply.

akitmitsu
06-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Hi again,

To those who went for freshmen seminar modules, may I ask how are they like? Are they time-consuming, fun or worth doing (espcially when it won't be counted in your CAP)? Do you guys have to do any research/experiments/ field trips or is it mainly discussion among the group? Thanks.

Sorry for the many questions. I look forward to your replies. :)

Darkzion
06-20-2012, 12:31 AM
Hi seniors,

I am interested in studying SSS1207 Natural heritage of Singapore to fulfil the Singapore Studies component of University Requirements. Hence, I would like to ask seniors how it is like.

Does it focus on identification of different natural habitats in Singapore, their value and how they are effected by development or conservation efforts?

In addition, I noted that students are expected to undertake self-directed field trips at their own time. Is this difficult to do during the semester? (where we are supposedly studying really hard for other modules)

How difficult is it to score well?

This may be a bit difficult to answer (since students usually only take 1 SS module), but does anyone know how SSS1207 compares to SSA2215 The Biophysical Envrionment of Singapore (in terms of what they cover and level of difficulty)

Thank you. :) I look forward to your reply.

nvr take before, but this mod is onli avaliable during sem 2, and it is one of the very few SS mod that does not require essay writing.. good for ppl like me who's england cmi.

akitmitsu
06-28-2012, 04:46 PM
nvr take before, but this mod is onli avaliable during sem 2, and it is one of the very few SS mod that does not require essay writing.. good for ppl like me who's england cmi.

Hi Darkizon,

Thanks for the reply. Essay-writing? May I ask what kind of essays are required in Singapore Studies modules (in general)? Thanks for your help. ;)What SS Module did you take?

To other seniors who did take SSS1207 Natural heritage of Singapore or SSA2215 The Biophysical Envrionment of Singapore, I would still like to hear your opinions about them. Thanks. :)

akitmitsu
07-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Hi seniors (again :p ),

Has anyone taken SP1202 Communicating with the Academy? May I ask how useful is the module in our undergraduate study in Science (cos they seem to describe the module as one that would help improve your writing skills in scientific reports). How do they teach the module and, is it difficult to score in (do they give you a scientific report to write in the end or?)

Thanks again. I'm really sorry for the constant questioning. :o I look forward to your replies. :)

PS: To those who went for freshmen seminar modules, may I ask how are they like? Are they time-consuming, fun or worth doing (espcially when it won't be counted in your CAP)? Do you guys have to do any research/experiments/ field trips or is it mainly discussion among the group? Thanks.

Zi'Ang.C
07-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Hi seniors (again :p ),

Has anyone taken SP1202 Communicating with the Academy? May I ask how useful is the module in our undergraduate study in Science (cos they seem to describe the module as one that would help improve your writing skills in scientific reports). How do they teach the module and, is it difficult to score in (do they give you a scientific report to write in the end or?)

Thanks again. I'm really sorry for the constant questioning. :o I look forward to your replies. :)

PS: To those who went for freshmen seminar modules, may I ask how are they like? Are they time-consuming, fun or worth doing (espcially when it won't be counted in your CAP)? Do you guys have to do any research/experiments/ field trips or is it mainly discussion among the group? Thanks.

Hey there,

I did SP1202 last semester, and its a pretty fun (yet challenging) module. It's fun in the sense that its not lecture-tutorial style, but seminar style where its alot easier to share ideas and contribute to class discussion (which is pretty integral for this module). The challenging part is the amount of time you would need to put into the module as you'll have to write a 2.5k essay, create a new media presentation, and also present your essay in the form of an OP (oral presentation) as part of the CA requirements.

The module will require you to 'show both sides' of any scientific argument through writing and condensation of information and statistics. It will help if you're planning to move onto UROPS or scientific communication (i.e. scientific journalism/teaching) as you'll need to analyse and make sense of MANY scientific reports, and use these reports to bolster/deflate a scientific controversy.

The module starts you off with teaching you skills in essay writing (i.e. crafting intro/body paras), presentation techniques and identifying arguments for/against a scientific controversy. The 'growth' comes when you start to write the 2.5k essay, with your tutor helping you by reviewing your essay twice prior to submission. I've had a friend who got A for the module (though another friend and I got B+ and B respectively). It's not too tough a module to score, as long as you're able to demonstrate creativity and of course, write critically. And yes, you'll need to write a similar essay of 800 words as part of finals, but dont worry 'cos you'll have alot of experience writing such essays by the time you're due for the finals.

For the FMS component, I didnt take FMS in year 1, but AFAIK, its S/U graded (in the sense that it doesnt pull down your CAP like regular modules). Friends did tell me it was fun and interesting, and as for the groupwork component, i cant really comment on that.

HTH :)

akitmitsu
07-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Hey there,

I did SP1202 last semester, and its a pretty fun (yet challenging) module. It's fun in the sense that its not lecture-tutorial style, but seminar style where its alot easier to share ideas and contribute to class discussion (which is pretty integral for this module). The challenging part is the amount of time you would need to put into the module as you'll have to write a 2.5k essay, create a new media presentation, and also present your essay in the form of an OP (oral presentation) as part of the CA requirements.

The module will require you to 'show both sides' of any scientific argument through writing and condensation of information and statistics. It will help if you're planning to move onto UROPS or scientific communication (i.e. scientific journalism/teaching) as you'll need to analyse and make sense of MANY scientific reports, and use these reports to bolster/deflate a scientific controversy.

The module starts you off with teaching you skills in essay writing (i.e. crafting intro/body paras), presentation techniques and identifying arguments for/against a scientific controversy. The 'growth' comes when you start to write the 2.5k essay, with your tutor helping you by reviewing your essay twice prior to submission. I've had a friend who got A for the module (though another friend and I got B+ and B respectively). It's not too tough a module to score, as long as you're able to demonstrate creativity and of course, write critically. And yes, you'll need to write a similar essay of 800 words as part of finals, but dont worry 'cos you'll have alot of experience writing such essays by the time you're due for the finals.

For the FMS component, I didnt take FMS in year 1, but AFAIK, its S/U graded (in the sense that it doesnt pull down your CAP like regular modules). Friends did tell me it was fun and interesting, and as for the groupwork component, i cant really comment on that.

HTH :)

Hi Zi'Ang.C,

Whoa..that was really informative. Thanks a lot! :D Talking about UROPS, I am quite curious yet confused about it.

I heard that we have to approach a supervisor and discuss what to do before we can 'register' for the project (which i assume the same supervisor will put it up in the UROPS website). Does this mean we need to have an idea (background information, skeletal plan of how to go about doing the project) of a project before we can partcipate in UROPS?

If the project is put up the website for registration, does that mean other people who may not have previously discussed their ideas with any supervisor could also get a UROPS project?

How do you know which supervisor to approach?

Would he/she (the supervisor) be guiding the student for maybe the 1st week or so to help the student get a better idea on how to do the project properly?

I also know that its REALLY tedious. According to the NUS website, students spend about hours a week on research and from my interaction with seniors at the FoS Open House, people who do UROPS spend whatever free time they have to do UROPS. Is that true?

Sorry for the many questions. :confused: I look forward to your/any seniors' reply. :)

yml.
07-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Hi guys.....
Any recommendations for breadth module (except languages)? I'm not good at writing essay though.. thanks :D

Zi'Ang.C
07-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Hi guys.....
Any recommendations for breadth module (except languages)? I'm not good at writing essay though.. thanks :D

Hey there,

there's EC1301 (principles of Econs) for a start as a breadth module. EC1301, if i heard correctly, is pretty much a recap of what you've learnt in JC econs (assuming u took it) and an slight expansion ontop of that. Its an MCQ-based finals, but be warned that the bell curve is pretty steep.

HTH

akitmitsu
07-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Hi again,

I'm intending to take Life Sciences, which if I'm not wrong, has some of our core module are pre-allocated to us, meaning that we don't get to choose which module to take in a particular semester right?

So what happens if the pre-allocated modules (lecture) clashes with a freshman seminar module? I'm interested in 1 freshman seminar but if I'm allocated to the LSM1101, LSM1102 & CM1401 Group, one of the modules' only lecture slot would clash with it (from what i gather in the CORS timetable so far) :( Is there a way to choose to be in the other group, or is there no way for me to take the FMS module?

Thanks. I look forward to your reply. :)

Zi'Ang.C
07-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Hi again,

I'm intending to take Life Sciences, which if I'm not wrong, has some of our core module are pre-allocated to us, meaning that we don't get to choose which module to take in a particular semester right?

So what happens if the pre-allocated modules (lecture) clashes with a freshman seminar module? I'm interested in 1 freshman seminar but if I'm allocated to the LSM1101, LSM1102 & CM1401 Group, one of the modules' only lecture slot would clash with it (from what i gather in the CORS timetable so far) :( Is there a way to choose to be in the other group, or is there no way for me to take the FMS module?

Thanks. I look forward to your reply. :)

IDK if Life Sciences accepts mutual swaps of all modules between 2 students, but thats how its done in NUS chemistry. If youre given a certain module combination, and swaps are not allowed, youll have to plan your other modules around your preallocated ones. If swaps are allowed, and the other combination allows you to take the FMS of your choice, by all means go ahead :)

HTH

akitmitsu
07-09-2012, 10:51 AM
IDK if Life Sciences accepts mutual swaps of all modules between 2 students, but thats how its done in NUS chemistry. If youre given a certain module combination, and swaps are not allowed, youll have to plan your other modules around your preallocated ones. If swaps are allowed, and the other combination allows you to take the FMS of your choice, by all means go ahead :)

HTH

Hi Zi'Ang.C,

Thanks for the info. :) BTW, when/where do students find out what their pre-allocated modules are? Thanks again. ;)

nusmathsoc
07-18-2012, 11:57 PM
Hi all,

This is an open invitation to all Freshmen (including non-math majors) to join us in our first ever orientation camp :)

Through the camp, we'll bring you around to different areas of NUS through games and activities so that you familiarise yourself with the environment.

Date of the camp: 6 - 8 August 2012
Cost of the camp: $40
What do you get?: 2 T shirts, advices from seniors on choosing modules and 3 days of fun!

Find out more information from our website at http://nusmathsorientation2012.blogspot.sg/, or find out at our booth during matric fair between 24-27 July! Alternatively, you can also drop me a PM to find out more!

Sign up now at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dFdBVXR6ak84blRLU0ZBUUpPZm1nV EE6MQ and check out our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/463956240301139/

On the beginning of your new journey,
Fair winds :)

NUS Mathematics Society

yml.
07-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Hey there,

there's EC1301 (principles of Econs) for a start as a breadth module. EC1301, if i heard correctly, is pretty much a recap of what you've learnt in JC econs (assuming u took it) and an slight expansion ontop of that. Its an MCQ-based finals, but be warned that the bell curve is pretty steep.

HTH

Hi.. I don't really like econs lol. Any other recommendations? thanks :D

nixeij
07-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Hello I'm Year 2 Life Science soon! And I've been allocated with LSM2102 and LSM2101 (group 1). If you have ST1232 and LSM2103 (group 2) but would like to have group 1 instead, do contact me to swap!

Thank you!

akitmitsu
07-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Hi seniors,

I'm going to be studying in NUS soon, so I've started to worry about some general things about NUS/the Science curriculum :o . Hope that you guys can help me.

I noted that modules tend to have some textbooks/recommended readings to help students better understand the subject. Are these readings essential (i.e. how different are they from the lecture notes?). Is there a need (or is it common for students) to buy the textbooks? If we don't purchase the textbooks, how do students get that extra 'help' from (are the books available from libraries and if so, how long are we allowed to borrow them?)

Are there any good study places in NUS? (i.e. relatively quiet, sheltered areas) A senior told me that the Science library is really crowded. Is it always like that?

Are the tutorial rooms air-conditioned/have fans installed? How big are these rooms? Are they like our typical secondary school/jc classrooms?

I know that unlike O/A Levels, uni students don't have the luxury of having those '10 years series books' to help them study. So, where do students find practice questions/solutions to prep for exams?

How heavy is the normal 5-module (20 MCs) and a 6-module (24 MCs) workload? Is it difficult to squeeze in CCA/leisure time with such workloads?

Is it difficult to get to know lecturers/tutors/coursemates well if you're the shy/quiet type? (since the group is really big in uni)

How often do we need laptops in uni (are our assignments/lab reports done on paper or digitally?) Also, are projects/group-work a prominent part of uni in the 1st 2 years of undergrad study?

Lastly, honestly speaking, I 'barely' made it into NUS (I got it via discretionary admission, meaning that i'm at the bottom 10% of my cohort). With med and dentistry rejects and more intelligent international students around, I'm really worried that i will be easily 'kicked out' from the competition very fast even if I've tried my best. :(

How similar is uni work to jc work? (I've heard that its a lot more of independent learning and more emphasis on critical thinking/expressing your own opinions in uni? If we were to compare 1 related topic/subject in JC to 1 module in uni, what is the difference in terms of expectations and assessment?)

Is it really tough for me to excel here? What should I do to improve myself academically?

Thanks a lot. I'm really sorry for bombarding seniors with so many questions. I look forward to your replies. :)

Darkzion
07-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Hi seniors,

I'm going to be studying in NUS soon, so I've started to worry about some general things about NUS/the Science curriculum :o . Hope that you guys can help me.

I noted that modules tend to have some textbooks/recommended readings to help students better understand the subject. Are these readings essential (i.e. how different are they from the lecture notes?). Is there a need (or is it common for students) to buy the textbooks? If we don't purchase the textbooks, how do students get that extra 'help' from (are the books available from libraries and if so, how long are we allowed to borrow them?)

Usually, lecture notes is sort of like a summary of the content found in the recommended tb leaving out most of the details.. so it might not be very readable/easily understood unless u r very diligent in taking down notes.. but even so, u cant expect the lecturer to mention every single points... and often i find tb's explanation much eaiser to understand and gives a better picture.. u can borrow the recommnded text from the library.. but onli up to a few hours... and there are limited copies... i will highly recommend u atleast get the tb for ur core mods

Are there any good study places in NUS? (i.e. relatively quiet, sheltered areas) A senior told me that the Science library is really crowded. Is it always like that?

sci lib can be quite crowded.. but overall i would say it is a conducive environment, with the occasion disruption by inconsiderate user. u may also try tutorial classroom if there are no lessons at that time.

Are the tutorial rooms air-conditioned/have fans installed? How big are these rooms? Are they like our typical secondary school/jc classrooms?

all air-conditioned.. smaller than ur jc/sec sch classrooms

I know that unlike O/A Levels, uni students don't have the luxury of having those '10 years series books' to help them study. So, where do students find practice questions/solutions to prep for exams?

i dunno which courses u r from... but for math and stats.. the recommended text usually provides questions for u to practice.. u may also download past year papers from the library website.. altho not every mod release their past year paper

How heavy is the normal 5-module (20 MCs) and a 6-module (24 MCs) workload? Is it difficult to squeeze in CCA/leisure time with such workloads?

depends on wat u r aiming for.. if u are aiming for first class den no.. unless u are incredibly smart

Is it difficult to get to know lecturers/tutors/coursemates well if you're the shy/quiet type? (since the group is really big in uni)

u dun really need to know ur lecturer or tutor.. but they are very approachable should u need any additional consultations

How often do we need laptops in uni (are our assignments/lab reports done on paper or digitally?) Also, are projects/group-work a prominent part of uni in the 1st 2 years of undergrad study?

depends on the mod that u r taking.. u may also visit the module-review website (google it if u dunno) for some details

Lastly, honestly speaking, I 'barely' made it into NUS (I got it via discretionary admission, meaning that i'm at the bottom 10% of my cohort). With med and dentistry rejects and more intelligent international students around, I'm really worried that i will be easily 'kicked out' from the competition very fast even if I've tried my best. :(

How similar is uni work to jc work? (I've heard that its a lot more of independent learning and more emphasis on critical thinking/expressing your own opinions in uni? If we were to compare 1 related topic/subject in JC to 1 module in uni, what is the difference in terms of expectations and assessment?)

Is it really tough for me to excel here? What should I do to improve myself academically?

example: EC1301 is equivalent to ur entire syllabus of H2 economies + slightly more stuff for macro.
for assignments, if u are from math or stats, u need to aim for full mark.. cos that is the norm for most ppl
how much do u excel depends on how much effort u put in.. there r no shortcuts... u wan ur A den u have to give everything u got.

Thanks a lot. I'm really sorry for bombarding seniors with so many questions. I look forward to your replies. :)

10char 10char

erps
07-27-2012, 12:54 AM
1. Textbooks are usually recommended but not always compulsory. Some textbooks are definitely needed because the textbook itself might be the lecture notes. Some textbooks are just used because the questions inside serve as tutorial questions by the lecturer. If it's used for that purpose, you can just borrow from your friend I suppose? Most of the time, I borrow my textbooks from my seniors or buy them from the Used Textbooks forum in IVLE.

2. Good places hmm. I would recommend Medicine Library as I find it very conducive and quiet. Most libraries are quiet just crowded.

3. Tutorial rooms are all air-conditioned but those aircons might just malfunction and the whole room gets so stuffy! But sometimes the rooms are just too cold :/ The size is about that of a JC classroom. Class size will be dependent on the number of people who chose to be in that tutorial class during balloting!

4. Practice questions can be found in NUS Libraries (online) but not all papers are released for all modules and years. I suppose they do re-use some of the questions therefore not the full release of papers. Solutions wise, I google them cos they might be similar questions or discuss it with my friends. Sometimes, the students society like Math society or Chemistry society might post solutions to papers too. Do keep a lookout.

5. A normal 20-MC workload would be just nice for you to have CCA's in between etc. You'll realise you might have quite alot of breaks sometimes. Actually a 24-MC workload might sometimes be less than a 20-MC one. It depends on the number of lecture hours, tutorial hours etc. Some modules only have 1 lecture while another has 2 lectures. Some modules have final exams, some don't. In the end the MCs alone doesnt really tell you how much workload you have.

6. I never ever talked to my lecturers hahaha. But knowing tutors is not a difficult thing. Knowing coursemates is not difficult either, but you really have to just speak up to the person beside you or pray hard that the person talks to you!

7. It depends on what course you are in? I'm in Math and I never brought or used my laptop in school AT ALL. But lab reports for Chem/ Physics/ Life Sciences are all done digitally, some to be submitted online, some to be printed in hard copies. Project works all depends on the modules you bid for. You can have ZERO project work modules!

8. I feel that JC and Uni are totally two different worlds! Hahaha. University is really about independent learning and understanding (no more pure memory work). You got to work hard, think smart but never forget to relax and play hard! A lot of people who are doing well aren't the mugger types! They just know how to balance their work and play well. I have no idea how to teach you to improve academically since I myself am just the average! But, don't worry too much, enjoy your life as a freshie before you advance to Year 2 and start to worry more! Just know that JC grades do not determine your standards in Uni education. Alot people who are doing really well now aren't those that were already top scorers previously! :)

Hope this helps!

Jyu896
07-28-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm preallocated Group A2. And want to exchange with my friend. What do i have to do?

Life Science, NUS

akitmitsu
07-29-2012, 10:58 PM
i dunno which courses u r from

Oops.. sorry..I'm in Life Sciences.. do you know of any Life Sciences students' study experiences? (I don't know any so.. )

depends on wat u r aiming for.. if u are aiming for first class den no.. unless u are incredibly smart

Haha..I'm not smart at all. Any idea how frequent CCAs (non-competition, clubs & societies types) require their members to meet up? Or do they vary a lot?

Also, may I ask what year are you in and whats your workload per sem like so far? (e.g. did you try a 6 module sem and found it really hard to cope?) Just want to know more about this workload thing..quite scared of overloading myself and 'dying' as a consequence. I do know that I should take 5 modules in my first sem to get the 'feel' of the workload (w/o dying too much :p ) though.

Thanks a lot. :)

akitmitsu
07-29-2012, 11:19 PM
5. A normal 20-MC workload would be just nice for you to have CCA's in between etc. You'll realise you might have quite alot of breaks sometimes. Actually a 24-MC workload might sometimes be less than a 20-MC one. It depends on the number of lecture hours, tutorial hours etc. Some modules only have 1 lecture while another has 2 lectures. Some modules have final exams, some don't. In the end the MCs alone doesnt really tell you how much workload you have.

I'm taking Life Sciences so there will be lectures (once/twice a week), tutorials (once a week) and practicals (fortnightly) for my core modules. I think all of my module this sem will have final exams (cos I got into a group where 1 core module lecture clashes with the freshman sem I've taken interest in :( ) too. So is a 24-MC load heavy for such situations?

And yea... for now i have a weird timetable... i have a lot of 2h breaks between my core module lessons, a back-to-back lecture-tutorial in the evening and 1 day where I only have 1 lesson- a practical session. But I guess its not so bad? I think I saw someone with a longer break in between lessons or even back-to-back lessons for 3/4 lessons? Timetables in uni can be quite scary haha.

I think next sem would be better for me cos I think the core modules then allows some 'leeway' (get to choose tutorial or lab slots - all the allocated modules i got only has 1 timeslot for all lectures/tutorial/labs) though.

7. It depends on what course you are in? I'm in Math and I never brought or used my laptop in school AT ALL. But lab reports for Chem/ Physics/ Life Sciences are all done digitally, some to be submitted online, some to be printed in hard copies. Project works all depends on the modules you bid for. You can have ZERO project work modules!

I'm in Life Sciences...so I guess I do need a laptop for those digital lab reports/assignments *sigh* The thought of not having pw in uni was quite unexpected though.. i always thought it will be the other way round-too many projects! :p

8. I feel that JC and Uni are totally two different worlds! Hahaha. University is really about independent learning and understanding (no more pure memory work). You got to work hard, think smart but never forget to relax and play hard! A lot of people who are doing well aren't the mugger types! They just know how to balance their work and play well. I have no idea how to teach you to improve academically since I myself am just the average! But, don't worry too much, enjoy your life as a freshie before you advance to Year 2 and start to worry more! Just know that JC grades do not determine your standards in Uni education. Alot people who are doing really well now aren't those that were already top scorers previously! :)

Thats' really encouraging, thanks. May I ask what year are you in? (just curious) But freshies also have their 'stress' - the transit from jc/poly to uni (thats what I've heard). Is it really frustrating/stressful? Actually, what are the things in this 'transit' that cause these 'negative feelings'?

Thanks a lot erps. :)

Darkzion
07-30-2012, 01:24 PM
@akitmitsu

From wat i heard from my friends, lab can be quite time-consuming as u still need to do some report after every lab session. And i personally would recommend a 20MC for first sem to gauge urself... any particular reason for u to wan to do 24MC ?

And altho u can have zero proj for a sem, u r bound to have to take some mods, particularly those GEK/GEM, which will have proj sooner or later.

akitmitsu
07-30-2012, 03:10 PM
@akitmitsu

From wat i heard from my friends, lab can be quite time-consuming as u still need to do some report after every lab session. And i personally would recommend a 20MC for first sem to gauge urself... any particular reason for u to wan to do 24MC ?

Hi Darkizon,

Nope..I don't think i will take the plunge and take 24 MCs now (1st sem), just that I get the feeling that I will have to take on such a workload for at least 2 sems later on, especially when so many modules that i'm interested in are clashing with my core module lessons now (to the point that i would probably take 1 'not-so-interesting module' to get 20MCs worth) *frustrated*. So I just want to know what is coming ahead of me so that i can be a bit more mentally prepared when the time comes. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Btw, do you have any idea how SP1001 Career Planning and Preparation is like? I know that if we intend to take a 'structured' pathway to get an internship, we should take this module, but the faculty is going to introduce something similar (NCC1001 Head Start Series) and make it compulsory for all students matriculating from '12/'13 onwards. I initially planned to take sp1001 to fulfil faculty requirements but now I'm wondering if theres any point of taking similiar modules :confused: ?

Thanks again. :) I'm sorry if i'm starting to sound more frustrated/irritating.. just starting to realise how bad timetable planning can be in uni :p

nixeij
08-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Anyone took GEM2023 primary health care before?

any info will be helpful, thank you!

Merilyn
08-07-2012, 01:21 AM
Hi seniors, i have a query abt this: if i got outbid in one of the core module in Round 1c, can i bid for it again using G account in Round 2A? (cos there's only vacancy in "reserved for [G] in later round" student type) Thx in advance.

Haseyo
08-09-2012, 01:26 AM
Hey I just got accepted into this Minor, but may I ask if to take this minor, it's a 6-module-per-sem thing? Or the modules just a normal 5-module-per-sem thing on top of my own core modules?

Cause they are still settling the modules for the minor and I'm STILL waiting for their final reply in the midst of this bidding eh. Which means I cannot bid for anything else yet since I'm not sure if I'm suppose to take the minor module yet.

I emailed them and they said "by next week". Omg that means like round 3A/round 3B..? But I was thinking, what if they only give me a reply AFTER round 3B....? Should I just go ahead and bid for my own modules?

What can I do?

Hey what's your latest CAP? I heard that the minor was very competitive.

Chlorinus
03-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Wow just got an SMS telling me that they're interviewing me for this course... Any tips? A bit worried. :(

pokkaGT
03-08-2013, 01:08 PM
1. Yes,

2. Studying 2 majors in the same faculty is called double major, studying from a separate faculty is called a double degree. There isn't any restrictions.

Source: http://www.nus.edu.sg/registrar/edu/UG/special-undergrad-prog.html

Darkzion
03-09-2013, 01:06 AM
Hi, I have some questions about the NUS application, if anyone is kind enough to answer.

1. So, I just applied for NUS & hope to get into Physics. However, the application site only lets us choose "Science" as a course, and I was wondering when & how can we decide which specific science to go into.
Also, just to make sure, NUS doesn't choose the specific science for you & you can decide what you want to study for yourself right?

2. Is it possible to take double degree in Physics & Maths, does anyone know of anybody taking the same or a similar double degree in NUS?
Since the module credits for a double degree in Physics & Maths seem to be similar to that of Physics & Material Science, I'd imagine it'd be possible. However, I'd just like to make sure there aren't any restrictions that I'm unaware of, maybe like restrictions on taking 2 degrees from the same faculty (of science).

Thanks in advance for answering.

1. Yes,

2. Studying 2 majors in the same faculty is called double major, studying from a separate faculty is called a double degree. There isn't any restrictions.

Source: http://www.nus.edu.sg/registrar/edu/UG/special-undergrad-prog.html

no. im a double major in stats(FOS) and econs (FASS)
the main difference is that a double major is a single degree, a double degree is 2-degree. There will also be difference in graduating requirement.. usually a double degree will require you to take more modules and hence usually requires 5 years to complete, while a double maj student will usually take the same number of mod as any other students (u jus replace some non-restricted mod to the core mod of the second maj).

Anyway, usually to be a double maj, you might need to seek approval from you faculty and host faculty of second major.. they will send emails asking for those interested after the sch term started.. but of cos u can send them email and ask too..... some might need interview, some doesnt.

But for double degree i think it is different... if im not wrong u have to apply for a double degree when u r applyin for uni... not very sure tho.

And u r brave to consider taking double in phy n math... i suggest you spent ur first sem to see how maths/phy mod are like at uni level first... they are quite different from JC standard.

Darkzion
03-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks for answering.

Then may I ask what will appear on your degree scroll if you take a double major? Will it be a "B.Sc in Physics and Mathematics", or just a "B.Sc in Physics".
I read on an NUS site that the 2nd major will only be reflected on your transcript, not your degree scroll, but I can't seem to find that site now. Maybe I was hallucinating.

Also, just to clarify, NUS says that 8MCs of your 2nd major can overlap with your primary major requirements (here (http://www.nus.edu.sg/registrar/edu/UG/spugp-double-major.html)) & on top of that, you can use your 2nd major to fufilll your ~40MCs of unrestricted elective modules? So eventually double majors take similar amounts of MCs as single majors?

Yes, that is usually the case, if u plan your modules properly... however i heard that some double maj combination might require you to overload by 1 to 3 modules

& to Darkizon: If uni eventually turns out to be too tough, I'll drop the notion of a double major. It'd be better to get a good primary major. Thanks for the heads up though.

Lastly, as a little sidetrack, whats the average module "types" most people take in a single semester. Like how many major requirements, how many university requirements & how many unrestricted electives people usually take.

usually ppl will try to spread out their core mods, maybe 3 core 2 non-core every sem... if u are doin double major, you will most likely be taking 4-5 core mod for most of ur sems... try to do atleast 4 core per sem during ur first year if u really intend to double major

Taken from FAQ of the website u provided =S
How many degree scrolls will I receive, and what are the qualifications I will receive if I have read a DM successfully?

Students who complete a DM successfully will receive one degree scroll, for the primary major only. The second major will, however, be recorded in the transcript.

Darkzion
03-10-2013, 02:48 PM
So there's where I saw it...

Does that mean I'll only get a "B.Sc in Physics", & that for my math major, only the modules I took for it will be included in the transcript?

If that's the case, isn't the 2nd major equivalent to me taking a single major & just reading all the maths modules as my unrestricted electives

i believe that is so...

but having a strong mathematical background will definitely be useful for ur physics, and if u have strong interest in both, y not? but of course it might be too demanding....

and "just reading" seems to be abit trivializing... there is a stark contrast in terms of efforts required for a core mod vs some random low level unrestricted modules.. i think it will help demonstrate ur ability to handle heavier workload... also having a more rigorous understanding in a second subject (math for ur case) might come in handy somehow especially if u r intending to further study.

Darkzion
03-10-2013, 10:59 PM
There's a distinction between core modules & unrestricted elective modules ???

Are they different in terms of content? or in terms of weightage in you overall GPA?

distinction in the sense that ppl will usually take lvl1000/2000 exposure/introductory modules to fulfill their UEM... especially those modules with prefix of GEK or GEM.. as such modules are only for exposure and is intend to be suitable for everyone in NUS, they are less technical, and hence easier.. and for such mods, ppl will have the option to S/U (google it if u dunno watz s/u)... so the competition in such mod is generally lower as ppl will not put in much effort. However, they all have the same weightage in ur CAP (which is determined by number of MCs of the mod which is usually 4)

Altho i did not took much UEM so it might not be indicative... but my average grade for UEM is 4.8x while the average grade of my core mod is 4.6x.... and the effort i spent on UEM is probably less than half of the effort i spent on my core.

forensic
03-26-2013, 12:54 AM
anybody applying for chemistry?

Lostkid
03-26-2013, 10:39 AM
anybody applying for chemistry?

Me!! However i will only be entering 2 years later bcos of NS.TT

Lostkid
03-26-2013, 10:40 AM
1.Are there anyone that took DIY DDP???

2.How is the application for DIY DDP being done?

3.Are there any restrictions for DIY DDP??