PDA

View Full Version : NUS FASS & Majors

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

chiyoko
05-22-2012, 09:27 PM
hi! I am interested in majoring in sociology. any soci seniors here mind sharing how the curriculum is like and what to expect? thanks! ^^

overtherainbow
05-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Hey guys! Is it possible to declare your major early? So that we won't have to waste one year exploring the others when you're pretty sure what you want already. :/

I think you can, but you still have to take the 4 exposure modules though!

Kaleb
05-22-2012, 10:46 PM
I think you can, but you still have to take the 4 exposure modules though!

And you'd still have to do the Unrestricted Electives (can't be from your major), the GEMs (one of which has to be science) and the Singapore Studies mods...

naomi
05-22-2012, 11:29 PM
hi chiyoko :) i am also interested in sociology :) looks like i've found a potential coursemate :) :)

walrus
05-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Hi can tell me how the exposure modules goes about?:X thanks

You will have to clear 4 exposure modules. These modules are labeled as XX1101E or XX1102E e.g. PL1101E for Psych and PH1102E for Philo.

You will be required to clear 1 from each basket, namely Asian Studies, Humanities, and Social Sciences. The last exposure mod will be the exposure mod for your major.

You can clear them any time you want, but most people clear at least 2 (including your major) in the first sem.

woonweiseng
05-23-2012, 01:04 AM
Hey guys! Is it possible to declare your major early? So that we won't have to waste one year exploring the others when you're pretty sure what you want already. :/

Hi! The earliest you can declare is after 1 semester has passed. This means that your first semester you are major-less. Use that time to take your exposure modules or take modules of your intended major. This time is good to allow you to explore other options. Even if you are dead-set on your major, you might never know if another subject tempts you into doing a minor or double major after all.

yeosu
05-23-2012, 09:21 AM
So that we won't have to waste one year exploring the others when you're pretty sure what you want already. :/

I don't know why people view this as waste. The best research in the social sciences are always those that can bridge two (or more) fields together. Focusing solely on one field goes against the spirit of the social sciences, where things are never black and white and you can't always fit problems neatly into one field. Employers like to see that graduates have both breadth and depth of knowledge. It shows that you have the aptitude to handle challenges from various angles. Quote from the Wall Street Journal:

Companies say they need flexible thinkers with innovative ideas and a broad knowledge base derived from exposure to multiple disciplines.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304072004577323754019227394.html

tetra_pakk
05-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Anybody interested in majoring in soci OR psych can PM me (I'm doing a double major). Be more specific or I don't know what you want to know.

inspirit
05-23-2012, 02:47 PM
I don't know why people view this as waste. The best research in the social sciences are always those that can bridge two (or more) fields together. Focusing solely on one field goes against the spirit of the social sciences, where things are never black and white and you can't always fit problems neatly into one field. Employers like to see that graduates have both breadth and depth of knowledge. It shows that you have the aptitude to handle challenges from various angles. Quote from the Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304072004577323754019227394.html

Hm but isn't this the reason for the exposure modules? Yup and I'm abit worried about the bid points cos I intend to take psych but I'm afraid somehow my bid is unsuccessful for the compulsory modules for psych T_T

inspirit
05-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Hi! The earliest you can declare is after 1 semester has passed. This means that your first semester you are major-less. Use that time to take your exposure modules or take modules of your intended major. This time is good to allow you to explore other options. Even if you are dead-set on your major, you might never know if another subject tempts you into doing a minor or double major after all.

I see... Thanks! :D and to others who replied too :D

chertx
05-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Hmm, what if I’m on a scholarship and it has been determined that I MUST major in, say, Economics. Does anyone know if it is possible to arrange with the coordinator such that I declare my major early and transfer the credits I was supposed to fulfill with exposure modules to other categories like Unrestricted Electives? Such that I take more modular credits worth of UEs in place of exposure modules.

Thanks in advance! :)

yeosu
05-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Such that I take more modular credits worth of UEs in place of exposure modules.

sorry to be blunt and unhelpful, but why would you want to do that?

I seriously doubt you'll be allowed to do that because (1) NUS has nothing to do with your scholarship (2) it won't be fair to others (3) it'll set a precedent that you can anyhow change the structure of the degree and everyone will be asking to do that.

i'm starting to see a trend in this thread that everyone is in a great hurry to declare their major. why? you have four years in NUS, whats the rush for? i really don't understand.

chertx
05-24-2012, 03:42 PM
sorry to be blunt and unhelpful, but why would you want to do that?

I seriously doubt you'll be allowed to do that because (1) NUS has nothing to do with your scholarship (2) it won't be fair to others (3) it'll set a precedent that you can anyhow change the structure of the degree and everyone will be asking to do that.

No offence taken. (: It’s so that I can have more freedom to choose what modules I want to take, like those from other faculties or maybe language modules..

Yeah I was thinking that they might not let me do so. Aww. ):

Thanks for your opinion!

yeosu
05-24-2012, 03:45 PM
No offence taken. (: It’s so that I can have more freedom to choose what modules I want to take, like those from other faculties or maybe language modules..

theres a good reason why FASS wants you to do exposure modules - so that you have a better understanding of other social science fields and that you won't graduate with just a tunnel vision of your major.

doing too many UEs would only water down your degree. after all, you'll grad with a social science degree, so it is only right that a majority of your modules are social science related and not UEs. the school would be doing a disservice to you to allow that.

yeosu
05-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Hm but isn't this the reason for the exposure modules? Yup and I'm abit worried about the bid points cos I intend to take psych but I'm afraid somehow my bid is unsuccessful for the compulsory modules for psych T_T

honestly, you guys/gals worry too much too early.
school haven't start and worry about bid points already? pls lar... this is the least of your worries. i've not heard of anyone who didn't get their intended major because of bid points (heck, i've not heard of anyone who didn't get their intended major ever for any other reasons either).

chertx
05-24-2012, 03:57 PM
theres a good reason why FASS wants you to do exposure modules - so that you have a better understanding of other social science fields and that you won't graduate with just a tunnel vision of your major.

doing too many UEs would only water down your degree. after all, you'll grad with a social science degree, so it is only right that a majority of your modules are social science related and not UEs. the school would be doing a disservice to you to allow that.

You have a point there. Thank you, yeosu!

plainsomeone
05-25-2012, 12:50 AM
You will have to clear 4 exposure modules. These modules are labeled as XX1101E or XX1102E e.g. PL1101E for Psych and PH1102E for Philo.

You will be required to clear 1 from each basket, namely Asian Studies, Humanities, and Social Sciences. The last exposure mod will be the exposure mod for your major.

You can clear them any time you want, but most people clear at least 2 (including your major) in the first sem.

Ohh.. so i need to choose 1 from each category (asian studies, humans and ss) and 1 additional from any category?:) btw thanks i think i sorta get it

inspirit
05-25-2012, 08:56 AM
honestly, you guys/gals worry too much too early.
school haven't start and worry about bid points already? pls lar... this is the least of your worries. i've not heard of anyone who didn't get their intended major because of bid points (heck, i've not heard of anyone who didn't get their intended major ever for any other reasons either).

Lol okay that's a relief.. Sorry... Don't know what to worry about more cos I find the system very confusing! :l But thanks anyway :D

chiyoko
05-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Lol okay that's a relief.. Sorry... Don't know what to worry about more cos I find the system very confusing! :l But thanks anyway :D

same! i have been trying to make sense of the bidding system here http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=3742
i guess the school will probably give us clearer instructions when the semester starts?

inspirit
05-26-2012, 10:50 AM
same! i have been trying to make sense of the bidding system here http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=3742
i guess the school will probably give us clearer instrutions when the semester starts?

Oh my goodness thank you so much :):):)

tetra_pakk
05-27-2012, 12:50 AM
Relax lah. You'll get the hang of it by clicking around when bidding starts.
It's actually easier to learn by yourself through trial-and-error than by someone giving you the instructions for you to just follow.

pinkyvoodo
05-27-2012, 01:00 AM
Relax lah. You'll get the hang of it by clicking around when bidding starts.
It's actually easier to learn by yourself through trial-and-error than by someone giving you the instructions for you to just follow.

Agreed. I think all year ones are very confused about bidding and what modules they should take to meet the requirements but most people will get used to it by the first or second semester. It will really really be much easier after the first time doing it and you will figure it out and get used to it after the first/second sem.

RadicalShift
05-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Hi guys, is anyone here in psychology? May I know is psychology a math intensive programme? I understand that we need to learn statistics (Research & Statistical Methods ) but are a lot of the modules mathematical? I am appealing to FASS and intending to major in psychology later on. Thanks for the help.

wenee
05-30-2012, 02:23 AM
Hi guys, is anyone here in psychology? May I know is psychology a math intensive programme? I understand that we need to learn statistics (Research & Statistical Methods ) but are a lot of the modules mathematical? I am appealing to FASS and intending to major in psychology later on. Thanks for the help.

Hey! Psychology is not math intensive. It's more of (very) memory intensive. As for the statistics mods, the statistics are quite simple and finals are open book so as long as you are able to grasp the concepts, they are relatively ok. In fact, personally i think the stats mods are easier than the other psych mods. HTH!

RadicalShift
05-30-2012, 10:37 PM
Hey! Psychology is not math intensive. It's more of (very) memory intensive. As for the statistics mods, the statistics are quite simple and finals are open book so as long as you are able to grasp the concepts, they are relatively ok. In fact, personally i think the stats mods are easier than the other psych mods. HTH!

Hi wenee, thanks for the help! May I also ask how are the lessons usually conducted? Are there a lot of presentations to do or do tutors just go through the material? Thanks.

soriyagtr34
06-01-2012, 10:24 PM
haha,now that I yr 2 finally get to advise freshie liao...

Ok,the bidding problems right, don't worry too much...when the time comes, can always post any problems here...

wenee
06-04-2012, 02:01 AM
Hi wenee, thanks for the help! May I also ask how are the lessons usually conducted? Are there a lot of presentations to do or do tutors just go through the material? Thanks.
For psych mods? Not a lot of presentations. But that depends on who are your lecturers. Different lecturers structured their teaching methods differently. Most psych tuts usually consist of group discussions. Presentations can come in two forms- presenting group project, presenting the ideas your group have came up with during group discussions. :)

frolick
06-06-2012, 05:54 PM
A year ago here I was, just like you. Time really does fly.

I wish the incoming freshies all the best. I hope your time in FASS will be a rewarding one!

I can tell you that you will meet alot of unexpected 'loves' along the way. I was dead set for Psychology or Geography, only to fall in love with Economics in the end. Something I totally did not expect. Economics is hard & tough like any other majors in FASS, but there is something about it that makes me curious. I hope you get to find that 'love' or if you have found it, that is wonderful.

All the best to you :) Be sure to enjoy your last few months of break!

yeosu
06-07-2012, 09:48 AM
I was dead set for Psychology or Geography, only to fall in love with Economics in the end. Something I totally did not expect. Economics is hard & tough like any other majors in FASS, but there is something about it that makes me curious.

that's precisely why I always encourage people to choose NUS FASS instead of NTU HSS, because it gives you the option to explore. most 19 year olds fresh out of A-levels don't really know what they want to do or what the different majors entail.

Irenicis
06-07-2012, 10:18 AM
i think the changes in major to Economics is mostly unsurprising...

plainsomeone
06-07-2012, 10:23 AM

I wish the incoming freshies all the best. I hope your time in FASS will be a rewarding one!

I can tell you that you will meet alot of unexpected 'loves' along the way. I was dead set for Psychology or Geography, only to fall in love with Economics in the end. Something I totally did not expect. Economics is hard & tough like any other majors in FASS, but there is something about it that makes me curious. I hope you get to find that 'love' or if you have found it, that is wonderful.

haha i m dead set for psycho n geog eh>< lol:)

btw whos goin for arts camp?

yeosu
06-07-2012, 01:01 PM

Why do you say that?

soriyagtr34
06-07-2012, 04:48 PM

wtf iren...even in this forum u also hijack NUS's thread when u're going to SMU...lol...

chiyoko
06-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Why do you say that?

is econs more practical?

RadicalShift
06-10-2012, 02:02 PM
For psych mods? Not a lot of presentations. But that depends on who are your lecturers. Different lecturers structured their teaching methods differently. Most psych tuts usually consist of group discussions. Presentations can come in two forms- presenting group project, presenting the ideas your group have came up with during group discussions. :)

Thanks wenee for the help! :)

RadicalShift
06-10-2012, 02:04 PM

dead set for psychology too! Didn't like econs when I took it in poly. :D

ally
06-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Psychology is really cool because it balances science and arts in a way. I did some classes and its challenging in a good way.

Quite like the Communications classes. Different from the other unis.

lucida
06-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Hi people, I am a freshbie this year
just a few questions,

does Unestricted Electives refer to any modules within NUS (GEM/GEK, or modules from other schools, eg Engineering/business) ?

can I clear a GEK module under the GEM module requirement ?

anyone have any interesting or light Unrestricted Electives to recommend for freshbies ?

Also, I am intending to take the exposure mods PH1102e & SW1101e, and intend to leave one exposure mod for my 2nd sem, should I leave the sociology mod or South east asian studies for my 2nd sems, any opinions ?

haz
06-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Hi guys,

Can I check if you guys have received any emails sent by NUS or FASS itself to incoming students for this August?

I saw on the FASS website that there's a freshmen orientation day on 31 Jul/1 Aug but no email in my inbox as yet. Would appreciate if someone could reply..

woonweiseng
06-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Welcome to NUS FASS!

Unrestricted Electives refers to any modules within NUS. But I think it cant be a module from your major, correct me if I'm wrong.

GEM requirement stands for General Education Module, so technically GEK & GEM mean the same thing. You need to do 1 Arts GEK & 1 Science GEK. Arts / Science is differentiated by the second digit of the module code: if it's e.g. GEK1022, it's an Arts GEK because second digit is 0; if it's e.g. GEK1507, it's a Science GEK because second digit is 5. If it's GEK1900, it is considered both Arts & Science (but I'm sure you cant count this twice as fulfilling your GEM requirement)

SC1101E or SE1101E, personally I feel it's good to take in Semester 1 because the Semester 1 lecturer tends to be better, but it really depends. At least that was the case in the past, but now it seems like Semester 2 lecturer might be the same as Semester 1 for some modules so things do change. Dr Irving Johnson for SE1101E is good.

Hi people, I am a freshbie this year
just a few questions,

does Unestricted Electives refer to any modules within NUS (GEM/GEK, or modules from other schools, eg Engineering/business) ?

can I clear a GEK module under the GEM module requirement ?

anyone have any interesting or light Unrestricted Electives to recommend for freshbies ?

Also, I am intending to take the exposure mods PH1102e & SW1101e, and intend to leave one exposure mod for my 2nd sem, should I leave the sociology mod or South east asian studies for my 2nd sems, any opinions ?

chiyoko
06-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Hi guys,

Can I check if you guys have received any emails sent by NUS or FASS itself to incoming students for this August?

I saw on the FASS website that there's a freshmen orientation day on 31 Jul/1 Aug but no email in my inbox as yet. Would appreciate if someone could reply..

it is the 2 day orientation talk right? seems to me that it a walk-in talk cos it doesnt sound compulsary (but highly encouraged)

akitmitsu
06-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Hi seniors,

I am an incoming Science freshman (matriculating this August) and would like to know more about SSA2215 The Biophysical Envrionment of Singapore . Hence, I would like to ask seniors how it is like.

I have read up about the module at the NUS bulletin, and it said 'topics include geology, soils, river systems, water supply, natural reserves, green areas, land reclamation and coastal environments'.

What about these physical aspects does the module cover?

Does the module have field trips to help us better understand the subject? If so, where?

Since its a 'Arts' subject, does that mean more discussion and essay-writing for the module? (sorry if I unintentionally offended anyone, its just that I have the impression that Arts subjects require more interaction and writing than Science subjects. Please do correct me if i'm wrong.)

I noted that there is quite a bit of emphasis on preparatory work (Workload: 2-1-0-2-5), if so, is it difficult to manage?

How difficult is it to score well?

This may be a bit difficult to answer (since students usually only take 1 SS module), but does anyone know how the module compares to SSS1207 Natural Heritage of Singapore (in terms of what they cover-sorry but they seem similiar to me since both cover the natural environments in Singapore :o and level of difficulty).

Thanks. I look forward to your reply. :)

woonweiseng
06-29-2012, 08:50 AM
Hi! I'm a Geographer but I have not taken SSA2215 before. I have friends who have taken it before though, and it's taught by the Geography department. Might take it in future.

The little that I know that I can answer:

- Workload of 2-1-0-2-5 is just a guideline. Many modules also list this as a guideline but ultimately you may not spend that many hours on preparatory work; you'll spend more or less depending on how good/bad you are at it, how many readings they give which then depends on lecturer... in sum, that workload guide doesnt tell you too much

- There's labwork for this module IIRC from my friends, so there's still the Science element in this module. I remember my friends experienced a rock sample identification assessment for the module, which is fun yet quirky. Again this depends, as lecturers change the way the module is taught may change

- SSA2215 is different from SSS1207 because SSS is more about the flora & fauna of Singapore but SSA is more about geology / lithospheric processes occurring in Singapore. So if you are interested in wildlife, do SSS. If you are interested in rock formations, coastal landforms etc, do SSA.

Hi seniors,

I am an incoming Science freshman (matriculating this August) and would like to know more about SSA2215 The Biophysical Envrionment of Singapore . Hence, I would like to ask seniors how it is like.

I have read up about the module at the NUS bulletin, and it said 'topics include geology, soils, river systems, water supply, natural reserves, green areas, land reclamation and coastal environments'.

What about these physical aspects does the module cover?

Does the module have field trips to help us better understand the subject? If so, where?

Since its a 'Arts' subject, does that mean more discussion and essay-writing for the module? (sorry if I unintentionally offended anyone, its just that I have the impression that Arts subjects that to require more interaction and writing than Science subjects. Please do correct me if i'm wrong.)

I noted that there is quite a bit of emphasis on preparatory work (Workload: 2-1-0-2-5), if so, is it difficult to manage?

How difficult is it to score well?

This may be a bit difficult to answer (since students usually only take 1 SS module), but does anyone know how the module compares to SSS1207 Natural Heritage of Singapore (in terms of what they cover-sorry but they seem similiar to me since both cover the natural environments in Singapore :o and level of difficulty).

Thanks. I look forward to your reply. :)

akitmitsu
06-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Hi! I'm a Geographer but I have not taken SSA2215 before. I have friends who have taken it before though, and it's taught by the Geography department. Might take it in future.

The little that I know that I can answer:

- Workload of 2-1-0-2-5 is just a guideline. Many modules also list this as a guideline but ultimately you may not spend that many hours on preparatory work; you'll spend more or less depending on how good/bad you are at it, how many readings they give which then depends on lecturer... in sum, that workload guide doesnt tell you too much

- There's labwork for this module IIRC from my friends, so there's still the Science element in this module. I remember my friends experienced a rock sample identification assessment for the module, which is fun yet quirky. Again this depends, as lecturers change the way the module is taught may change

- SSA2215 is different from SSS1207 because SSS is more about the flora & fauna of Singapore but SSA is more about geology / lithospheric processes occurring in Singapore. So if you are interested in wildlife, do SSS. If you are interested in rock formations, coastal landforms etc, do SSA.

Hi woonweiseng,

Thanks for your reply, it has helped me alot. May I ask when students tend to take their Singapore Studies/ GEM? I know these modules may not be taken in year 1 or 2 cos they require quite a bit of bidding points? :confused:

May I ask what year are you in? I'm also interested in other Geog modules that I would probably take as my UEs later on. Thanks. :)

totallygone
06-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Hi woonweiseng,

Thanks for your reply, it has helped me alot. May I ask when students tend to take their Singapore Studies/ GEM? I know these modules may not be taken in year 1 or 2 cos they require quite a bit of bidding points? :confused:

May I ask what year are you in? I'm also interested in other Geog modules that I would probably take as my UEs later on. Thanks. :)

depends, some take in year 1. i took in year 2 sem 2! that's when u have more bid points! but kinda depends which ss/gem u taking. if popular mods confirm higher bid points

akitmitsu
07-01-2012, 11:43 AM
depends, some take in year 1. i took in year 2 sem 2! that's when u have more bid points! but kinda depends which ss/gem u taking. if popular mods confirm higher bid points

Thanks totallygone, do you have any idea what some of the popular mods are? :confused: As a freshman who knows next-to-zero knowledge of the bidding system, theres a fear that i will use up all my bidding points in one shot :eek: , so I guess its better to plan now than regret later (either that or i'm just being 'kan chiong' :p )

Does anyone know whats the difference between GE2221 Nature & Society and SC2221 Environment & Society? They seem to both focus on the human-environment relationships, although the description for SC2221 seems more in-depth and 'cheem' (i'm sorry for my ignorance..please do correct me if i'm wrong). Thanks again. I look forward to your reply. :)

tetra_pakk
07-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Hey ladies and gentlemen, the module listing is already out on CORS! In case you don't know.

For current students, it's yet another semester of headache. For freshies, choose wisely!

(:

http://www.nus.edu.sg/cors/schedule.html#facultymodinfo

For (intended) soci majors, here's the listing of lecturers: http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/soc/undergrad/module_1000.htm

And for psych: http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/psy/_download/Modules%20and%20Lecturers.pdf

wenee
07-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Thanks totallygone, do you have any idea what some of the popular mods are? :confused: As a freshman who knows next-to-zero knowledge of the bidding system, theres a fear that i will use up all my bidding points in one shot :eek: , so I guess its better to plan now than regret later (either that or i'm just being 'kan chiong' :p )

Hi!

You can visit cors website to view the bidding history for the list of modules offered:)
http://www.nus.edu.sg/cors/archive.html

HTH!

Kaleb
07-06-2012, 03:00 AM
I'm joining FASS this year (at last!) I've checked the website but still have a few questions about declaring your major. Must you have completed the exposure module for your intended major before you can declare it as your major in Sem 2? According to the website, you must have read or be reading the lv 1000 module for your intended major. Does that mean it's possible to declare major even if you're currently reading the module? (Note: I know that some majors such as psychology have more specific requirements. I am not intending to major in any of these.)

And yes, I know, don't rush into declaring...For what it's worth, I'm actually a year three, so I daresay I'm pretty set about what I would like to major in. Not to mention that having based my transfer to FASS on my intended major, it'd probably be pretty weird if I majored in something else instead ;)

akitmitsu
07-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Hi!

You can visit cors website to view the bidding history for the list of modules offered:)
http://www.nus.edu.sg/cors/archive.html

HTH!

Hi wenee,

Thanks for the url. :) Its helping quite a lot.

akitmitsu
07-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Hi again,

Does anyone know what GE2221 Nature & Society is about in terms of what it would cover? I know it would focus on human-nature relationships, so would it be a case-study kind of module where it shows some societies/cultures who are able to develop more sustainably than others, and then analyse why?

Does the module highlight any sustanability/environmental issues during the process, or any country/society/culture in particular?

Thanks again. I look forward to your reply. :)

lucida
07-06-2012, 05:07 PM
hello,

just wondering if anyone have taken these modules before

GEM1031 - The Study Of Names

GEK1537 - The Search for Life on Other Worlds

how are the lectures/tutorials/workload and exams questions like ??

I cant seem to find the reviews online, anyone care to share ?

many thanks.

inspirit
07-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Sorry for being so random, but do you need your GC for any of the modules, say PL2131? :) thanks in advance!!

teddybear
07-07-2012, 09:01 PM
hello,

just wondering if anyone have taken these modules before

GEM1031 - The Study Of Names

GEK1537 - The Search for Life on Other Worlds

how are the lectures/tutorials/workload and exams questions like ??

I cant seem to find the reviews online, anyone care to share ?

many thanks.

I'm a freshie... BUT I WANNA STUDY THE STUDY OF NAMES TOO HEHE

tetra_pakk
07-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Sorry for being so random, but do you need your GC for any of the modules, say PL2131? :) thanks in advance!!

So far, no. PL2131 doesn't allow GCs in exams, just the scientific calculator. I doubt you'll need GCs for school, this is FASS for a reason. (:

frolick
07-08-2012, 09:04 PM
hello!

are there econs major senoirs here or anyone who can give me some pointers?

can you give a feel on workload & manageability level on these modules?
let's say i take:

ec2101 (micro analysis 1)
ec2104( quantitative econ)
& either ec3303(econometrics 1) or 3102(macro analysis 2) ?

some concerns I would like to lay out:

i took ec2303 last sem & wanna know if i should take ec3303 this coming sem so that i wont forget the stats stuff i did last sem since its a continuation?

Thanks to anyone who help.

nixeij
07-12-2012, 03:22 PM
I am sure everyone is probably looking through all the modules and getting somewhat depressed for school.

Anyway anyone took CH2292A UNDERSTANDING MODERN CHINA THROUGH FILM before?

Darkzion
07-12-2012, 03:42 PM
hello!

are there econs major senoirs here or anyone who can give me some pointers?

can you give a feel on workload & manageability level on these modules?
let's say i take:

ec2101 (micro analysis 1)
ec2104( quantitative econ)
& either ec3303(econometrics 1) or 3102(macro analysis 2) ?

some concerns I would like to lay out:

i took ec2303 last sem & wanna know if i should take ec3303 this coming sem so that i wont forget the stats stuff i did last sem since its a continuation?

Thanks to anyone who help.

i dun think u can take ec3102.. one of the pre-req is ec2101.

ec2104 is very easy n light... basically the entire module of ec2104 = 1 chapter of ma1104 minus all the proofs.. im precluded from ec2104 but i alr learnt the entire mod within 10days including doing all the tutorials and one of the pre-test paper during this holiday.. even tho i did not take ma1104 before.

frolick
07-12-2012, 09:30 PM
i dun think u can take ec3102.. one of the pre-req is ec2101.

ec2104 is very easy n light... basically the entire module of ec2104 = 1 chapter of ma1104 minus all the proofs.. im precluded from ec2104 but i alr learnt the entire mod within 10days including doing all the tutorials and one of the pre-test paper during this holiday.. even tho i did not take ma1104 before.

yes you are right, I can't take ec3102.

Thank you for your help about ec2104 module. I think your response helps a fair bit to choose the suitable mods. i'll go do some search to see what ma1104's about. Thanks again, Darkzion.

Edit: After a quick search, is chapter 1 known as 'Vectors & Geometry of Space'?

Darkzion
07-12-2012, 10:15 PM
yes you are right, I can't take ec3102.

Thank you for your help about ec2104 module. I think your response helps a fair bit to choose the suitable mods. i'll go do some search to see what ma1104's about. Thanks again, Darkzion.

Edit: After a quick search, is chapter 1 known as 'Vectors & Geometry of Space'?

hmm im not sure wat is the first chapter as i nvr took ma1104 before.. but i happened to have the textbook (Thomas' calculus by George B thomas, Maurice D. Weir and Joel ) of it bcos of ma1102R which uses first half of the tb while ma1104 use the other half... all the things u need will be under chapter 14 of the textbook called partial derivatives. if u had math background, basically it is jus sec-JC calculus generalized to multivariables and the onli new thing is something called lagrange multiplier.

EDIT: anyway, u dun really need to know ma1104.. it contains proofs that might not be very read-able if u nvr take any calculus mod in uni before, altho if u happen to have the tb, u can still do those questions provided as additional practice

pufferfish
07-12-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm a freshie... BUT I WANNA STUDY THE STUDY OF NAMES TOO HEHE

OMG HELLO TEDDY. I was gg to respond to your post when i notice your username hehehe. Me too C:

flaming B52
07-13-2012, 12:26 AM
i never took the study of names..but i know some people who did, and their feedback wasn't really positive

teddybear
07-13-2012, 10:05 AM
OMG HELLO TEDDY. I was gg to respond to your post when i notice your username hehehe. Me too C:

Hahaha! pufferfish! i think im gonna see you around campus very often! meet on first day?!

frolick
07-13-2012, 12:07 PM
hmm im not sure wat is the first chapter as i nvr took ma1104 before.. but i happened to have the textbook (Thomas' calculus by George B thomas, Maurice D. Weir and Joel ) of it bcos of ma1102R which uses first half of the tb while ma1104 use the other half... all the things u need will be under chapter 14 of the textbook called partial derivatives. if u had math background, basically it is jus sec-JC calculus generalized to multivariables and the onli new thing is something called lagrange multiplier.

EDIT: anyway, u dun really need to know ma1104.. it contains proofs that might not be very read-able if u nvr take any calculus mod in uni before, altho if u happen to have the tb, u can still do those questions provided as additional practice

if it is partial derivatives, im quite familiar with it.

Do you have an opinion to choose between ec3303 (econometrics 1) or ec2104?
im tied down for the rest of the year, so i cant take two maths mods cos of the time needed. have got to choose one. if you've got some opinion, it'd be good for me.

Thank you again Darkzion.

inspirit
07-13-2012, 05:10 PM
So far, no. PL2131 doesn't allow GCs in exams, just the scientific calculator. I doubt you'll need GCs for school, this is FASS for a reason. (:

Lol, right. Thanks! :D

totallygone
07-13-2012, 06:07 PM

Does anyone know whats the difference between GE2221 Nature & Society and SC2221 Environment & Society? They seem to both focus on the human-environment relationships, although the description for SC2221 seems more in-depth and 'cheem' (i'm sorry for my ignorance..please do correct me if i'm wrong). Thanks again. I look forward to your reply. :)

i think both are different since they are offered by different departments. If it's offered by soci department, i guess you need to bring in some soci terms and write it in the soci way. For Geog, i'm not very sure cos i never taken any. Hope that helps you a little!

Kaleb
07-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Has anyone taken EU1101E: The Making of Modern Europe before? I've checked online but have heard a few very negative reviews about it...will we be severely disadvantaged if we don't have a history background?

palefirex
07-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Hi! Did anyone take the political science and history exposure mods before? How was your experience? :)

woonweiseng
07-20-2012, 12:27 AM
Hi! I took PS1101E last semester and HY1101E in the previous semester (first semester)!

PS1101E, if done by Dr Yoshinori Nishizaki (affectionately known as Yoshi), is worth taking. The professor is very, very good, and very hilarious during lectures. He drops mega-obvious exam tips during his lectures, which are not webcasted, so you go attend his lectures for those tips if not for the funny things he says. Content-wise, it deals with the modern state - how it came about, how it performs it role, how it interacts with other modern states... it's quite eye-opening to say the least. During tutorials, be prepared to talk and ask questions or voice out your opinions, though I heard that in the first semester where people are vying to be PS majors, the oral participation competition is intense and "wars" of words break out.

HY1101E is not too bad too. Dr Bruce Lockhart is very, very good too - very hilarious and lectures concisely too. The other two professors were not that good however, and one sometimes struggles to catch what these two professors say (one of them's new, so she needs time to warm up). They split the content up amongst the three of them though they have their specialities - South Asia & Indochina by Dr Lockhart, China-Japan-Korea by Dr Lee Seung-Joon and Southeast Asia by Dr Portia Reyes. They do not provide the PowerPoint slides before the lectures or even at all, so be prepared to write / type loads and loads of notes and revisit the webcasts to catch what was taught. Content-wise it focuses on Asia, from about 16th century in China & Europe and how the Europeans decided to travel to the East to "discover" India, Southeast Asia & China. The rest, as they say, is history. Coverage all the way till post-WWII & Cold War.

Hi! Did anyone take the political science and history exposure mods before? How was your experience? :)

mayumi
07-20-2012, 12:52 AM
Just to remind the newbies.. If you don't already know, we have a used textbook forum in IVLE. Just login to IVLE and find the link at the panel on the right-hand side. You'll find all the posts on used textbooks other people are selling.

So you don't always have to spend $ to buy a new textbook from the bookstore!

tetra_pakk
07-20-2012, 01:11 AM
Hi! I took PS1101E last semester and HY1101E in the previous semester (first semester)!

PS1101E, if done by Dr Yoshinori Nishizaki (affectionately known as Yoshi), is worth taking. The professor is very, very good, and very hilarious during lectures. He drops mega-obvious exam tips during his lectures, which are not webcasted, so you go attend his lectures for those tips if not for the funny things he says. Content-wise, it deals with the modern state - how it came about, how it performs it role, how it interacts with other modern states... it's quite eye-opening to say the least. During tutorials, be prepared to talk and ask questions or voice out your opinions, though I heard that in the first semester where people are vying to be PS majors, the oral participation competition is intense and "wars" of words break out.

HY1101E is not too bad too. Dr Bruce Lockhart is very, very good too - very hilarious and lectures concisely too. The other two professors were not that good however, and one sometimes struggles to catch what these two professors say (one of them's new, so she needs time to warm up). They split the content up amongst the three of them though they have their specialities - South Asia & Indochina by Dr Lockhart, China-Japan-Korea by Dr Lee Seung-Joon and Southeast Asia by Dr Portia Reyes. They do not provide the PowerPoint slides before the lectures or even at all, so be prepared to write / type loads and loads of notes and revisit the webcasts to catch what was taught. Content-wise it focuses on Asia, from about 16th century in China & Europe and how the Europeans decided to travel to the East to "discover" India, Southeast Asia & China. The rest, as they say, is history. Coverage all the way till post-WWII & Cold War.

HAHAHAH I DON'T EVEN REMEMBER WHO TAUGHT ME HY1101E. Damn forgettable can. But it's a fairly easy module to score if you took history in JC and can write. And I had a good tutor. (:

I took PS1101E under a visiting lecturer - Eric Mobrand - and he's pretty good, plus very good-looking, so that's a bonus. :p I have never liked the PS tutorials though.

palefirex
07-20-2012, 11:34 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience! :) May I know what other exposure modules did you take in addition to these modules? I'm currently in the midst of deciding which exposure modules to take, will be matriculating in Aug!

palefirex
07-20-2012, 11:37 AM
HAHAHAH I DON'T EVEN REMEMBER WHO TAUGHT ME HY1101E. Damn forgettable can. But it's a fairly easy module to score if you took history in JC and can write. And I had a good tutor. (:

I took PS1101E under a visiting lecturer - Eric Mobrand - and he's pretty good, plus very good-looking, so that's a bonus. :p I have never liked the PS tutorials though.

Ooh I see! What were PS tutorials like for you?

knowyourrightsxx
07-20-2012, 12:16 PM
hi all, like @palefirex, i'm a freshie deciding on my modules...most probably i'll be majoring in econs and i hope seniors can provide some generic (or specific econs related) advice to freshies judging this thread is pretty dead. i'm sure this will also benefit a lot of 'silent readers' who frequently visit this forum

my main issue with module choosing (unlike conventional ones eg preallocated or just choose the exposure modules from various baskets to fulfil) is because i'm interested in going for special programmes eg the NUS-UNC joint degree programme etc. these programmes have
(1) specific requirements eg for nus-anu, you have to take certain math modules which a 'normal' econ major can choose not to take
(2) different module fulfilments eg they don't require you to do all 3 different baskets of exposure modules (because you will be doing other things as part of the JDP at the partner uni)

so wrt to (1), i do understand if eventually you do not go for the JDP, you can continue to work towards your major requirements, honors or not regardless but it *does* affect your module choice which i'm puzzled about. eg in sem 1 i take MA1101R, 2 econs module including EC1101E, ACC1002X(required) and one other module, i end up taking a lot of ''irrelevant'' modules, which albeit can be counted towards requirements, will put me in a weird position in Y1Sem2? i.e. i will be busy clearing my exposure mods in sem 2, hence hindering me in completing higher level econs mods?

sorry for the wall of text, could not present my doubts in a more concise manner...had to explain thoroughly bc most of my friends do not understand this confusion of mine TIA :)

tetra_pakk
07-21-2012, 12:59 AM
Ooh I see! What were PS tutorials like for you?

Just like what woonweiseng said, lots of talking and opinion-sharing, tutorial participation points were counted. You'd have to do your readings in order to participate meaningfully.

FYI, since you asked woonweiseng, I'll also tell you that I took these in Y1S1: PS1101E, HY1101E, GE1101E, and my two majors, SC1101E and PL1101E.

akitmitsu
07-21-2012, 04:12 PM
FYI, since you asked woonweiseng, I'll also tell you that I took these in Y1S1: PS1101E, HY1101E, GE1101E, and my two majors, SC1101E and PL1101E.

Hi tetra_pakk,

Oh..may I ask how's GE1101E like in terms of difficulty, content and assessment? I'm thinking of taking it as a General Education module (GEK1001) but am not so sure since I'm also interested in GE2220 Terrestrial & Coastal Environments, which seems similiar in terms of content & difficulty (are they? :confused: ) Thanks. :)

palefirex
07-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Just like what woonweiseng said, lots of talking and opinion-sharing, tutorial participation points were counted. You'd have to do your readings in order to participate meaningfully.

Thanks for your input! Woah wasn't your workload very heavy in semester 1? :confused: When did you start taking GEMS, SS & Breath modules? Sorry for asking so many questions!

woonweiseng
07-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Hi tetra_pakk,

Oh..may I ask how's GE1101E like in terms of difficulty, content and assessment? I'm thinking of taking it as a General Education module (GEK1001) but am not so sure since I'm also interested in GE2220 Terrestrial & Coastal Environments, which seems similiar in terms of content & difficulty (are they? :confused: ) Thanks. :)

Hi! The Geographer (yours truly / myself) says that GE1101E is quite fun & insightful but the workload can be a bit intense because of the number of readings - consistently 2 readings per week, and the readings can get thick. Again, depends on professors - mine in Year 1 Semester 1 last year was Prof T C Chang (he's good!!!) & Prof David Higgit, they split the Human & Physical Geography components among themselves.

In terms of content, the Human component covers Geographical Imaginations, Globalization (Economic, Social & Cultural) & Sense of Place; the Physical component covers Climate, Climate Change, Water, Land Use & Earth Surface Processes. Based on this coverage you can see that there's a lot to cover... so many things can be quite touch-and-go, especially for Physical Geography. Background in A-level Geography helps but is not essential in Physical Geography.

The examination format is 4 essays in 2 hours, i.e. 30 minutes per essay, which is insane because you have so much to write but not enough time. This is too early but tip: do not focus only on Human Geography, spread out your efforts & time across both Physical & Human Geography despite your temptation to focus solely on Human Geography.

There is a fieldtrip for GE1101E, which you should go for an eye-opening experience plus for Prof Chang's very good tour of the Singapore River!

GE2220, meanwhile, I have yet to take it, but I doubt its coverage or difficulty is anything like in GE1101E, because after all GE1101E was pretty touch-and-go for the Physical component, which definitely wont be the case for GE2220.

pufferfish
07-23-2012, 10:32 AM
I hope this is the right thread to post my questions:p I'm thinking of taking either EL1101E or PH1102E to fulfill the humanities basket. Any seniors have taken the above mods under Dr Kim Chonghyuck and Assist Prof M.W. Pelczar? Care to share how your personal experience was like!! :)

Oh and does anybody know of mods that are only offered in 1 sem every year?

TIA for any responses <3

haz
07-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Hi guys,

wondering if there are any seniors here who can advice me on this. i'm a freshie, i've heard so many things from so many people, those currently studying in nus and those who're fresh as well.

1) for the FASS student, usually for Y1S1, what should the combination of of modules taken be? should we take all purely FASS modules (including intended majors) first, or should it be mixed with GEM (SS, Breadth and UE modules)?

2) i understand that we have to take a minimum of 3 FASS modules in which each comes from the 3 FASS dept (humans, ss and lang). But let's say i'm trying to decide among Sociology, Political Science (Soc Sc), History (Humans) and English (Language) for my major, can I just take all 4 exposure modules right although Pol Sc and Socio overlap as its from the same dept? Let's say eventually I decide to major in Pol Sc, what happens to the overlapping module of Soci? Will it be taken as one of the non-major modules?

Sorry if i sound unclear, but i'm trying me best to be clear. The system's quite confusing to a freshie. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :)

tetra_pakk
07-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Hi guys,

wondering if there are any seniors here who can advice me on this. i'm a freshie, i've heard so many things from so many people, those currently studying in nus and those who're fresh as well.

1) for the FASS student, usually for Y1S1, what should the combination of of modules taken be? should we take all purely FASS modules (including intended majors) first, or should it be mixed with GEM (SS, Breadth and UE modules)?

2) i understand that we have to take a minimum of 3 FASS modules in which each comes from the 3 FASS dept (humans, ss and lang). But let's say i'm trying to decide among Sociology, Political Science (Soc Sc), History (Humans) and English (Language) for my major, can I just take all 4 exposure modules right although Pol Sc and Socio overlap as its from the same dept? Let's say eventually I decide to major in Pol Sc, what happens to the overlapping module of Soci? Will it be taken as one of the non-major modules?

Sorry if i sound unclear, but i'm trying me best to be clear. The system's quite confusing to a freshie. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :)

1. Depends on individual preference.
2. You have to take one other module from the department of which your major belongs to. So if you choose to major in either SC or PS, then the other one would be the other module from that department. If you choose HY or EN, the other one would be your other Humans module.

FYI, there is no such thing as a Language department. It's SS, Humans, and Asian Studies. http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/prospective/choices.html, click on the "3 divisions" bubble at the bottom.

haz
07-25-2012, 12:23 AM
1. Depends on individual preference.
2. You have to take one other module from the department of which your major belongs to. So if you choose to major in either SC or PS, then the other one would be the other module from that department. If you choose HY or EN, the other one would be your other Humans module.

FYI, there is no such thing as a Language department. It's SS, Humans, and Asian Studies. http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/prospective/choices.html, click on the "3 divisions" bubble at the bottom.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the confusion and hope you do pardon me, was really trying hard to remember what the third department was and I didn't have the paper with the modular guide fass 2012 batch with me at the time of post. Thanks

violet28
07-25-2012, 10:48 AM
I hope this is the right thread to post my questions:p I'm thinking of taking either EL1101E or PH1102E to fulfill the humanities basket. Any seniors have taken the above mods under Dr Kim Chonghyuck and Assist Prof M.W. Pelczar? Care to share how your personal experience was like!! :)

TIA for any responses <3

Hi,

To know what is offered in Sem 1 you can view them here. https://aces01.nus.edu.sg/cors/jsp/report/ModuleInfoListing.jsp?fac_c=31

However, modules offered in 1 sem are quite unpredictable as the departments may change the modules depending on the availability of lecturers. From my experience, the lower level modules in FASS seem to be offered in both sems. The higher level modules are often taught in one sem only unless they are core modules.

Hope this helps. :)

Btw, I did not take EL1101E or PH1102E hence I can't offer you much.

violet28
07-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Hi guys,

1. I would suggest you take the exposure modules first and preferably they are choices which you intend to major in. This is because if you decide on your major early, you can secure your modules without bidding in the upcoming sems. As for GEM and SS, I would take in my later sems if I were you. :)

nixeij
07-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Hi, anyone taken GEK 2040: Philosophy and Film before? How is the exam format like (highly doubt it's MCQ, lol) and are there any projects, etc.? Couldn't find any info online!

Thank you!

lucida
07-26-2012, 01:00 PM
hello seniors,

I would like clarify whether if the 'Class Code' of the Lecture determines how many lecture I would need to attend per week

for example this module: GEK1520

https://aces01.nus.edu.sg/cors/jsp/report/ModuleDetailedInfo.jsp?acad_y=2012/2013&sem_c=1&mod_c=GEK1520&modcat=GEM

Under lecture it states that:

SL1 LECTURE EVERY WEEK TUESDAY 1400 1600 LT27
SL1 LECTURE EVERY WEEK FRIDAY 1400 1600 LT27

Does it mean that I would need to attend both lectures (for Tuesday and Friday)? since both 'Class Codes' are similar. Or choose either

violet28
07-26-2012, 06:41 PM
hello seniors,

I would like clarify whether if the 'Class Code' of the Lecture determines how many lecture I would need to attend per week

for example this module: GEK1520

https://aces01.nus.edu.sg/cors/jsp/report/ModuleDetailedInfo.jsp?acad_y=2012/2013&sem_c=1&mod_c=GEK1520&modcat=GEM

Under lecture it states that:

SL1 LECTURE EVERY WEEK TUESDAY 1400 1600 LT27
SL1 LECTURE EVERY WEEK FRIDAY 1400 1600 LT27

Does it mean that I would need to attend both lectures (for Tuesday and Friday)? since both 'Class Codes' are similar. Or choose either

Hi,

Yup you have to attend both. This means that this module has two lectures every week. For modules with only 1 lecture, they will state SL1 and SL2 and let you choose during the bidding period. :)

lucida
07-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Hi,

Yup you have to attend both. This means that this module has two lectures every week. For modules with only 1 lecture, they will state SL1 and SL2 and let you choose during the bidding period. :)

oh ok thanks

Kaleb
07-26-2012, 10:52 PM
Hi, anyone taken GEK 2040: Philosophy and Film before? How is the exam format like (highly doubt it's MCQ, lol) and are there any projects, etc.? Couldn't find any info online!

Thank you!

Ok, a bit of a disclaimer here: I haven't taken the module, but I know people who have because this has been discussed a bit among some of them. So you may want to note I'm just reporting. I have taken a different module under the prof before, so I can confirm that some of these are correct.

Assessment is has some short writing assignments (nothing out of the ordinary, though I advise you really pay attention to what the prof tells you he wants to see in an essay. Especially if your most recent essay experience was GP/KI, you probably won't be used to what he wants.) There's a percentage of class participation in the form of comments/posts on a class blog that the professor will set up. You don't have to write something philosophically profound or earth-shatteringly brilliant, just comment and generally value-add somehow. There's no time limit--the blog comments thing will close some time before/after the exams, but before that, you can post as many times or as late as you want, he'll still give you credit for it. For my module, you had to make a minimum of five comments. That's pretty generous IMO.

He has a focus on SF films, so just be prepared, in case you're not too happy with that genre. And I've been a bit circumspect about the percentages for his assessment because you can locate it here (http://blog.nus.edu.sg/philofilm/2012/07/08/syllabus-for-the-first-half-of-the-semester/), you don't need me copy and pasting that. That link is basically to the class blog, most pertinent details are already up there.

If you're asking about the prof--I'll say he's a pretty interesting lecturer, though he has a tendency to derail discussions a little at lv2000s, but I'm told that for this mod, it's a bit more focused so I'm not too sure about that. He is very approachable and he normally makes things quite clear in consultations though, so I reckon you're pretty much covered from that angle. I'm told you might want to beware the workload because you have to both do the readings and watch the movies. And that can be pretty heavy.

In any case, hope you enjoy the mod if you do take it!

TIA for any responses <3

I took PH1102E in AY10/11, Sem 2 and did pretty well in it. Personal experience-wise: ok, first thing to take note is that Prof Pelczar didn't conduct all the tutorials for my sem. He might've, I'm not sure, but in Sem 1, there are definitely a bunch of other tutors too. So I'm not really going to talk about his tutorials.

With regard to Prof Pelczar as a lecturer, what I really liked was the way he explains things, IMO. As far as profs are willing to take questions, I don't see anything different, he certainly doesn't shoot you for asking about stuff. But he does take some really weird/tricky philosophical arguments and explain them in as basic a way as possible. He also tries to present things in an interesting way, his examples are clear and pretty simple, and he does love to use pictures. Philosophical debates are rendered in a way that's easy to follow, and broken down so you can get 'em. If I recall correctly, we got to watch a bit from a movie at one point. Lectures...are not boring, but they're webcast so...take that as you will.

Assessment-wise: you have to write a summary each week. That was pretty ok for me. The readings may sometimes be philosophical but more often than not, they are just related stuff like a newspaper article or something that you've got to summarise. The ones that are written by philosophers aren't technical so treat it like a GP summary. The final exam is just MCQ (don't know if that's still the case), and if you've paid attention during the whole course, it is very, very manageable. You have some percentage of your assessment going to tutorial participation, but that just really amounts to showing up. Tutorials are pretty much what you'd expect from a FASS tutorial. There's less content to revise, so it's more of a free and open discussion around what's going on. The prof tends to steer things if the group goes off-course or if he wants to lead you towards something interesting to consider.

You thinking of taking PH1102E?

pufferfish
07-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Violet28: I was told to begin on modular planning at least for my 1st yr and it can be really overwhelming so thank YOU, you definitely helped!

Kaleb: Hey truckloads of thanks for taking the time to share your experience! Appreciate it C:

I actually met Prof Pelczar at the philo booth during FASS OH and yes he very casually mentioned that finals will be in MCQ (yayes!) :rolleyes: and I went back did my uhhh homework? and borrowed some intro to philo bks like HAHA what is it like to be bat. So Philo's definitely on my radar. It's daunting though because i've got mixed reviews from seniors, it seems like you either love philo or hate it and i hardly know of much friends who's intd in philo as well.

So it's either Philo or Eng for me (since i'm somewhat interested in linguistic too). Hopefully the freshie talks this tues will help me make up my mind :(

Kaleb
07-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Violet28: I was told to begin on modular planning at least for my 1st yr and it can be really overwhelming so thank YOU, you definitely helped!

Kaleb: Hey truckloads of thanks for taking the time to share your experience! Appreciate it C:

I actually met Prof Pelczar at the philo booth during FASS OH and yes he very casually mentioned that finals will be in MCQ (yayes!) :rolleyes: and I went back did my uhhh homework? and borrowed some intro to philo bks like HAHA what is it like to be bat. So Philo's definitely on my radar. It's daunting though because i've got mixed reviews from seniors, it seems like you either love philo or hate it and i hardly know of much friends who's intd in philo as well.

So it's either Philo or Eng for me (since i'm somewhat interested in linguistic too). Hopefully the freshie talks this tues will help me make up my mind :(

Personally, if you don't mind me butting in, I'm a bit on the extreme side in that I find it helps to plan your GEMs and Breadth and UE stuff entirely. You don't have to worry so much about the modules in your major, but I find that if you want to squeeze in a minor, it's far better to know early than to find out you don't have room for one.

I'll admit the love or hate thing is pretty true about philo. As far as I'm concerned though, I think the intro mod is the sort of mod where you don't have to like philo to be able to do well, if that helps. Most of the skills are pretty basic and just require you to have decent memory-work. I hope you do have info about the linguistics mod though--can't help there, never took it.

Was just curious if you're taking it, because I got to retake PH1102E. :P

lucida
07-27-2012, 06:45 PM
sorry for the rude interference, Kaleb. But what do you mean by "retaking PH1102e" meaning you took PH1101e before the syllabus got changed?

I am definitely taking ph1102e :p

just wondering, what are the philosophers covered ? or what are the topics covered ? eg, dualism; ethics

Kaleb
07-27-2012, 07:14 PM
sorry for the rude interference, Kaleb. But what do you mean by "retaking PH1102e" meaning you took PH1101e before the syllabus got changed?

I am definitely taking ph1102e :p

just wondering, what are the philosophers covered ? or what are the topics covered ? eg, dualism; ethics

Don't worry about it. I took PH1102E. However, due to some administrative issues with NUS (which I don't really want to go into, long story), I basically have to take the module again.

You're taking PH1102E? Are you thinking of majoring, or...?

Syllabus-wise: we don't really quite do it by philosophers but by topics. If you're looking at names, people that will pop up range from David Chalmers, Nick Bostrom, Thomas Nagel, Hume, Sartre, Galen Strawson, Nietzsche (brief reference, don't get excited!), John Searle...etcetera. For my batch, what we covered were (I'm going to give a quick run-down here)--value theory, free will, personal identity, one lecture on epistemology, ethics (the equivalence thesis), the problem of evil-- I recall a great emphasis on what would be philo of mind, given that we dealt with both phenomenological aspects as well as psychological aspects. Yes, dualism and physicalism will appear under that category. The simulation argument would probably be closer to epistemology, and there's a bit of the basic distinction between metaphysics and epistemology in that same lecture.

Hope this helps.

palefirex
07-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Hi! Is it advised to take language modules in semester 1? I'm thinking of Malay 1 but I've received feedback that language modules are pretty hard to score :confused:

pufferfish
07-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Kaleb: haha how is it 'butting in'? thanks for the heads-up! yea i'm with you on having a long-term plan and honestly i find it so exciting HAHAHA :p but the thing is i haven't really decide what are the expo mods im gna take so i guess that will have to wait?

HEHE hope you don't mind me kpo - but are you a year 2 student...do you have a minor in mind alr? oo and have you declared your major yet? HAHA from what you shared with lucida, no worries i think you A++++ is in the bag already eh ehh? ;)

Kaleb
07-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Kaleb: haha how is it 'butting in'? thanks for the heads-up! yea i'm with you on having a long-term plan and honestly i find it so exciting HAHAHA :p but the thing is i haven't really decide what are the expo mods im gna take so i guess that will have to wait?

HEHE hope you don't mind me kpo - but are you a year 2 student...do you have a minor in mind alr? oo and have you declared your major yet? HAHA from what you shared with lucida, no worries i think you A++++ is in the bag already eh ehh? ;)

Oh, as in, it was a bit of unsolicited advice, but I admit the importance of this sort of planning was something I wish I'd known before I'd randomly filled up my UEs with some modules I didn't really want (so I had some difficulty doing the minor I wanted.) I'm still a bit undecided about the expos, because of mixed reviews on EU1101E.

I'm a year 1 due to some admin issues. I'm trying to declare a minor in Science, Technology and Society (STS) and planning to major in philosophy (might have been a tad obvious about it.) You've any plans?

Thanks, and well, we'll see about it. No sense counting before the mod begins.

pufferfish
07-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Kaleb: It must be quite frustrating hurr. So you'll be bidding at round 1c as a freshie then? I'm pretty certain i'll be majoring in psych. Maybe you can head down to the freshie talks this tues, i'm banking on that to help me decide which other expo mods to settle on :p

Oh, as in, it was a bit of unsolicited advice, but I admit the importance of this sort of planning was something I wish I'd known before I'd randomly filled up my UEs with some modules I didn't really want (so I had some difficulty doing the minor I wanted.) I'm still a bit undecided about the expos, because of mixed reviews on EU1101E.

I'm a year 1 due to some admin issues. I'm trying to declare a minor in Science, Technology and Society (STS) and planning to major in philosophy (might have been a tad obvious about it.) You've any plans?

Thanks, and well, we'll see about it. No sense counting before the mod begins.

akitmitsu
07-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Hi! The Geographer (yours truly / myself) says that GE1101E is quite fun & insightful but the workload can be a bit intense because of the number of readings - consistently 2 readings per week, and the readings can get thick. Again, depends on professors - mine in Year 1 Semester 1 last year was Prof T C Chang (he's good!!!) & Prof David Higgit, they split the Human & Physical Geography components among themselves.

In terms of content, the Human component covers Geographical Imaginations, Globalization (Economic, Social & Cultural) & Sense of Place; the Physical component covers Climate, Climate Change, Water, Land Use & Earth Surface Processes. Based on this coverage you can see that there's a lot to cover... so many things can be quite touch-and-go, especially for Physical Geography. Background in A-level Geography helps but is not essential in Physical Geography.

The examination format is 4 essays in 2 hours, i.e. 30 minutes per essay, which is insane because you have so much to write but not enough time. This is too early but tip: do not focus only on Human Geography, spread out your efforts & time across both Physical & Human Geography despite your temptation to focus solely on Human Geography.

There is a fieldtrip for GE1101E, which you should go for an eye-opening experience plus for Prof Chang's very good tour of the Singapore River!

GE2220, meanwhile, I have yet to take it, but I doubt its coverage or difficulty is anything like in GE1101E, because after all GE1101E was pretty touch-and-go for the Physical component, which definitely wont be the case for GE2220.

Thanks wooweiseng for the info! :)

Unfortunately, my core modules this sem will clash with GE1101E's lecture, so I can't take it for now. Any idea if taking Level 2000 GE modules (e.g. Terrestrial & Coastal Environments) now (1st semester as an undergrad) will be too tough to handle? I did not take Geography in A Levels, so my highest level of geog knowledge is that from 'O' Levels (I may have did well, but its so long ago so I hardly have any recollection of it-apart from liking the subject ;) ).

What should I expect/what is expected from me in a Level 2000 module?

Do I have to read up a lot of journals/articles?

How is it different from O Level Geog (i.e. expectations and mode of assessment)? Is it more essays (if so, what kind and what is expected from us students) or?

Is there a lot of interaction between the students & professors/group discussion and projects? (cos from what i see in my year 1/2 science modules, there's hardly any of those.. quite unexpected haha)

Lastly, would I be the only few Year 1 students in such modules? :p

Sorry for the many questions again (I'm very paranoid :o ). I look forward to your/other seniors' replies.

woonweiseng
07-30-2012, 01:08 AM
Hello!

Taking level 2000 GE modules without GE1101E is not exactly recommended because:

1. GE1101E gives you a good overview of how Geography is like / is taught and how to think / write geographically. You may be disadvantaged without GE1101E.

2. You will be competing with Year 2s, 3s and even 4s who are Geography majors. This puts you at an even more disadvantage especially when considering that you have not done GE1101E. The competition from them would be very tough.

It's not as if if you dont take GE1101E you will definitely die in level 2000 GE modules, because I have friends who did level 2000 GE modules in their first semester, but that was concurrently with GE1101E. And I'm not making sweeping statements or trying to ascertain a causal relationship but they tend not to have done as well for the level 2000 GE modules.

Having only O-level Geography is again disadvantageous but not difficult to overcome - there are people who only have that background and did okay. Why this is so is because University level geography is different from A-level geography, so A-level geography background often serves more as a bonus (makes your life easier in understanding certain concepts) rather than as a necessary foundation for you to build upon your higher-level knowledge.

In level 2000 Geography modules (or all Geography modules for that matter), expect lots of reading (journal articles mostly, but textbooks sometimes) and writing (of essays, except for certain lab / practical-based modules but even then you need to write lab reports). Expect at least 2 recommended (i.e. compulsory) readings each lecture for each level 2000 Geography module. Expect to open your mouth for discussion during tutorials, often with expectations of your having done your readings. All these sound tough, but after one semester in NUS you realize it's the least you can do for each module, even at Level 1000.

Essays to be submitted are expected to be argumentative - i.e. you must make a stand or an argument in your essay. You can do lots of research and plonk them in (be wary of plagiarism), but if you do not have an argument it is but a factual piece of writing and you get marked down badly for that. You need to think geographically in your essays to - which is why I recommend doing GE1101E first. Like, linkages of concepts to space, place, scales, flows and politics.

I hope this helps! PM me if you need more information!

Thanks wooweiseng for the info! :)

Unfortunately, my core modules this sem will clash with GE1101E's lecture, so I can't take it for now. Any idea if taking Level 2000 GE modules (e.g. Terrestrial & Coastal Environments) now (1st semester as an undergrad) will be too tough to handle? I did not take Geography in A Levels, so my highest level of geog knowledge is that from 'O' Levels (I may have did well, but its so long ago so I hardly have any recollection of it-apart from liking the subject ;) ).

What should I expect/what is expected from me in a Level 2000 module?

Do I have to read up a lot of journals/articles?

How is it different from O Level Geog (i.e. expectations and mode of assessment)? Is it more essays (if so, what kind and what is expected from us students) or?

Is there a lot of interaction between the students & professors/group discussion and projects? (cos from what i see in my year 1/2 science modules, there's hardly any of those.. quite unexpected haha)

Lastly, would I be the only few Year 1 students in such modules? :p

Sorry for the many questions again (I'm very paranoid :o ). I look forward to your/other seniors' replies.

Kaleb
07-30-2012, 01:33 AM
pufferfish: Well, it could be worse, I guess. At least I can avoid making the mistakes I did previously. Yes, I'll be bidding in round 1C, though I already placed advanced bids while I could. There's freshie talks on Tues? Thanks for the info, I'll have to see if I'm permitted to drop by...

pufferfish
07-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Kaleb: You're welcome C: Hey seriously you can just crash. I mean c'mon it's not like they will check your matric card or sth. The department talks only begin at 2pm for tues and 10.20am for weds. Go check out the FASS homepage for the timetable. P.S 3.20-3.40 on wed - ICE CREAM BREAK :p

teddybear
07-30-2012, 11:19 AM
sorry i need to ask

I'm thinking of double majoring psychology and southeast asia (2nd) weird combination, I know :/ Is there anyway I can minimise the overloading since I think both majors are very content heavy. Like is it possible to take modules over the holidays? I heard Southeast asia have some summer school programme where u can take like 3 modules during the hols.

oh yes, and take double major means must plan all your mods super early? when should you start overloading?

And if let say, u decide not to double major in the end, can you just drop it?

please help this blur freshie! :S thanks in advance!

aprilanatomy123
07-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Hi all.

Freshie here! I am totally clueless about everything. So I need some advice please.

Econs EC101E
Sociology SC1101E
Psychology PL1101E
South Asia Studies SN1101E
Japanese Language LAJ1201

These are the modules I am intending to take for sem 1. Please advise whether the workload is too heavy or not. I don't want to sucide so quickly.

Pentoshi
07-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Hi guys , I was just wondering how's the workload with the following modules
, cause i might be taking them all

TS1101E , NM1101E , EU1101E,EN1101E and GEK1045

Many Thanks!

akitmitsu
07-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Taking level 2000 GE modules without GE1101E is not exactly recommended because:

1. GE1101E gives you a good overview of how Geography is like / is taught and how to think / write geographically. You may be disadvantaged without GE1101E.

2. You will be competing with Year 2s, 3s and even 4s who are Geography majors. This puts you at an even more disadvantage especially when considering that you have not done GE1101E. The competition from them would be very tough.

In level 2000 Geography modules (or all Geography modules for that matter), expect lots of reading (journal articles mostly, but textbooks sometimes) and writing (of essays, except for certain lab / practical-based modules but even then you need to write lab reports). Expect at least 2 recommended (i.e. compulsory) readings each lecture for each level 2000 Geography module. Expect to open your mouth for discussion during tutorials, often with expectations of your having done your readings. All these sound tough, but after one semester in NUS you realize it's the least you can do for each module, even at Level 1000.

Essays to be submitted are expected to be argumentative - i.e. you must make a stand or an argument in your essay. You can do lots of research and plonk them in (be wary of plagiarism), but if you do not have an argument it is but a factual piece of writing and you get marked down badly for that. You need to think geographically in your essays to - which is why I recommend doing GE1101E first. Like, linkages of concepts to space, place, scales, flows and politics.

I hope this helps! PM me if you need more information!

Whoa thanks a lot woonweiseng! I nearly sent myself a death wish by trying to take up Level 2000 GE modules! I had a feeling that doing so may be a bad idea, so your advice definitely cleared my doubts. :) I guess I just have to hope my next sem's core modules won't clash with GE1101E again.. I want to take GE modules asap (of course, w/o killing my CAP too much at the same time :D ).

Btw, do you happen to have any suggestions on relatively manageable modules to take in sem 1? I'm starting to get stuck in timetable planning because many modules that i'm interested in are clashing with my core modules *frustrated*. I'm more inclined towards environmental stuff, but I'm prepared to do less-interesting modules. No philosophy,history or engineering though. :p

Jamaicatan
07-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Hi everyone!
I'm a FASS freshmen matriculating in Aug this year.
However, I'm really confused with some of the terms used.

1. What is Unrestricted electives?
2. Is unrestricted electives similar to GEMs or Breadth?
3. Must I fulfill the University requirements in the first year or can spread it across the 3 to 4 years of my studies?
4. Apart from the modules that I have to take to fulfill my preferred major requirements, what other necessary modules do I have to take (i.e. other exposure modules, etc.)

I would really really appreciate if someone can help clear my doubts! Thnks! :)

knowyourrightsxx
07-30-2012, 07:17 PM
Hi everyone!
I'm a FASS freshmen matriculating in Aug this year.
However, I'm really confused with some of the terms used.

1. What is Unrestricted electives?
2. Is unrestricted electives similar to GEMs or Breadth?
3. Must I fulfill the University requirements in the first year or can spread it across the 3 to 4 years of my studies?
4. Apart from the modules that I have to take to fulfill my preferred major requirements, what other necessary modules do I have to take (i.e. other exposure modules, etc.)

I would really really appreciate if someone can help clear my doubts! Thnks! :)

hi jamaicatan before i provide some humble information i know, i would assume, for the benefit of doubt, that you have done your fair share of research and reading up before posting these questions.

as much as i doubt so, here you go:
1. unrestricted electives, as the term suggests is unrestricted...i.e. you can take a finance module (offered by school of biz) or even languages, anything offered by NUS outside of FASS
2. similar but different, they are independent of each other, though very often may overlap (via module codes/cross listing) and are all required in totality in order to fulfil your uni level requirements(ULR)
3. over your course of studies
4. this was mentioned in the last few pages only i believe, you have to take 3 other exposure modules on top of your major from the respective baskets(humans, social science, asian studies) i.e. 4 exposure in total including your major's

you are certainly more than 'confused with the terms used'

i personally have not gone for any 'info talks' or 'orientation camps' but all these can really really be found via the forum/NUS websites

***no offence, i'm not upset at you but just ''annoyed'' (for the lack of a better word) at people seeking to be spoon-fed. i too have my doubts...and because information for that was really limited...i tried asking in the forum but to no avail (it was regarding JDP) so yeahhhh

hope that helps :)

woonweiseng
07-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Whoa thanks a lot woonweiseng! I nearly sent myself a death wish by trying to take up Level 2000 GE modules! I had a feeling that doing so may be a bad idea, so your advice definitely cleared my doubts. :) I guess I just have to hope my next sem's core modules won't clash with GE1101E again.. I want to take GE modules asap (of course, w/o killing my CAP too much at the same time :D ).

Btw, do you happen to have any suggestions on relatively manageable modules to take in sem 1? I'm starting to get stuck in timetable planning because many modules that i'm interested in are clashing with my core modules *frustrated*. I'm more inclined towards environmental stuff, but I'm prepared to do less-interesting modules. No philosophy,history or engineering though. :p

Hmm I really have no idea. I havent taken many modules myself. Some recommend doing GEMs later on in your university career to give yourself breathing space later on when you do heavy Level 3000 / 4000 modules, but I did a GEM in my first semester in case I could not handle the workload for my first semester. So it's up to you.

Anyway, you can still try doing a level 2000 Geography module if you really want to, nothing is stopping you really if you are really passionate and ready to work very hard. Besides, there are those who walk in to these classes with zero / limited geography knowledge... just that I dont know how well they fare (or they just S/U).

woonweiseng
07-31-2012, 12:14 AM
Hi all.

Freshie here! I am totally clueless about everything. So I need some advice please.

Econs EC101E
Sociology SC1101E
Psychology PL1101E

These are the modules I am intending to take for sem 1. Please advise whether the workload is too heavy or not. I don't want to sucide so quickly.

Hi! I havent done the modules above except for SC1101E, so I cant comment much. But SC1101E can be quite heavy in terms of readings, so do take note. Thick course pack for last year semester 1, with different lecturers this may change. Doing a language is also very heavy in terms of time & effort - look at your timetable and you can already see how much time it occupies. If you're interested nothing is stopping you but it can be very taxing and may be detrimental to CAP if you're not careful.

Kaleb
07-31-2012, 04:22 AM
Hi all.

Econs EC101E
Sociology SC1101E
Psychology PL1101E

I did SN1101E last semester. The assessment has a tendency to change, but I was juggling about 2 readings per lecture on average, sometimes just 1 very long reading (there's a thick coursepack as well.) There may or may not be a project work component. It's rather content-heavy too--you'll need to commit a good deal of dates and events to memory as well as to be able to analyse them. Of course, there are other aspects to familiarise yourself with, such as factors behind Indian migration, the Indian diaspora, etc. Basically, think history. Part of it did remind me of geography too, though I can't speak for uni level.

I never took any of the other modules, but I'll second woonweiseng's warning about the language module. Studying a language is going to be very heavy in terms of time and effort you need to put in, and you might have to factor that into your planning.

frolick
07-31-2012, 12:20 PM

Many Thanks!

Pentoshi, I can help you for EN1101E but I didn't take the rest.

EN1101E: Semester taught by Patke & Susan Ang.

Courseload: Heavy

1 Anthology of Poetry Book (An Unseen Component in finals)

Preparation done as such: Pick some poems to prepare for final, out of maybe 70 to 100 poems in the book.

Do treat it like an unseen poem component, so for this component it is best to read up on literary tools ok!

2 Plays - Beckett & Fugard
Absurdism, hopelessness, meaninglessness

2 Novels- Spark & Waugh
Satire, High Society,Third Vs First Person Narratives

I just listed the themes since books change every semester.

Overall Feel:
You would find that the mod is fast-paced.
Do not only depend on tutorials for ideas as you won't get much at all, internet is the place to go.

That was my semester. Last semester my friends did The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald! Generally, they'd do 4-5 books a semester so be prepared for that. Lastly, I would recommend this module if you have lit background but that doesn't mean anything. You can try and who knows you may be a prodigy. Realistically though, if you are keen, read up on literary tools for analysis soonest.

All the best.

violet28
07-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Hi all.

Econs EC101E
Sociology SC1101E
Psychology PL1101E

Hi,

I have taken EC1101E before and it is similar to Alevel Econs. Hence, it would be an advantage if you had Alevel background. However, keep in mind that most have background thus competition is there. There is no essay writing in EC1101E, just calculation problems. Exams are ok just that it is competitive.

I had friends who took PL1101E and they have tons to read. I'm not sure about exams though but you have to be prepared to read alot, it's really alot haha.

SN1101E I saw my friends reading a thick coursebook, well, readings are common in FASS.

Regarding the jap language module, the lesson would be very fast paced and you are likely to be left out if you have no background at all. I'm not sure if it is taught in Jap or English though.

Hence, from what I see, it is going to be a heavy semester for you. But if you don't mind readings, go ahead. :)

Just my two cents worth.

violet28
07-31-2012, 02:57 PM

Many Thanks!

I have only taken NM1101E before and it is one of the modules I recommend my friends to take. The first part may be a little dry as it focuses on theories and the second part is more interesting as it focuses on apply the theories learnt in part 1 (eg. Internet, mass comm). Exams wise, midterm most likely consists of short structured questions and MCQs which I think you should try your best to score to get a good overall grade. Finals are just MCQs but some are tricky, still doable though. :) Participate more in tutorial classes to help your grades too. This applies to all modules. Hope this helps. :)

knowyourrightsxx
07-31-2012, 06:31 PM
Hi all.

Econs EC101E
Sociology SC1101E
Psychology PL1101E

hi there i believe the others have provided their valuable advice/experiences on the modules in terms of workload etc

i was just wondering if you'd realised
econs, socio, psych = social sciences
south asian = asian studies

and hence, missing out on a module from the Humanities basket? of course this could be intentional since you can always take additional exposure modules [and one from humanities in future to fulfil requirements]

i personally feel like the modules offered under humanities are limited...
ELL lit philo theatre studies

of which 3 out of the 4 are not available to a friend of mine who had to take QET (and assuming not totally exempted from EL modules)

just saying......

chiyoko
07-31-2012, 07:31 PM
hi everyone, I am having problems with the timetabling for my modules.

These are the modules i am planning to take this sem:

GEK1045
SC1101E
HY1101E
GL1101E

I am still deciding between SEA or Japanese studies exposure modules from the asian studies. exam date for SEA is the same as history so i would be taking 2 papers in a day. On the other hand the lecture timings for japanese studies and GL1101E is on the same day but at consecutive timeslots (10 to 12 for GL1101E and 12 to 2 for jap studies) and different locations (AS7 0101 and TP-AUD), which means that i need time to get from one place to another.

should i take the risk of sitting for 2 papers in a day (will be mentally tiring), or to be so-called late for lecture? If both options are not favourable, are there still other alternatives to look at? (to be frank i am only interested in SEA and jap studies from asian studies)

Pentoshi
07-31-2012, 10:53 PM
Pentoshi, I can help you for EN1101E but I didn't take the rest.

EN1101E: Semester taught by Patke & Susan Ang.

Courseload: Heavy

1 Anthology of Poetry Book (An Unseen Component in finals)

Preparation done as such: Pick some poems to prepare for final, out of maybe 70 to 100 poems in the book.

Do treat it like an unseen poem component, so for this component it is best to read up on literary tools ok!

2 Plays - Beckett & Fugard
Absurdism, hopelessness, meaninglessness

2 Novels- Spark & Waugh
Satire, High Society,Third Vs First Person Narratives

I just listed the themes since books change every semester.

Overall Feel:
You would find that the mod is fast-paced.
Do not only depend on tutorials for ideas as you won't get much at all, internet is the place to go.

That was my semester. Last semester my friends did The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald! Generally, they'd do 4-5 books a semester so be prepared for that. Lastly, I would recommend this module if you have lit background but that doesn't mean anything. You can try and who knows you may be a prodigy. Realistically though, if you are keen, read up on literary tools for analysis soonest.

All the best.

I have only taken NM1101E before and it is one of the modules I recommend my friends to take. The first part may be a little dry as it focuses on theories and the second part is more interesting as it focuses on apply the theories learnt in part 1 (eg. Internet, mass comm). Exams wise, midterm most likely consists of short structured questions and MCQs which I think you should try your best to score to get a good overall grade. Finals are just MCQs but some are tricky, still doable though. :) Participate more in tutorial classes to help your grades too. This applies to all modules. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks a lot guys!Just a further question , is it wise to take 3 exposure modules from the humanities basket for my 1st semester?Cause i'm interested in most of the modules offered at that basket.

nixeij
07-31-2012, 11:37 PM
Hi, has anyone taken EN2204: Reading the Horror Film?

Thanks a lot! I'm still looking for modules to take during this dreadful semester.

woonweiseng
08-01-2012, 12:23 AM
For Humanities you left out History :) Which is precisely what I took for my Humanities basket, or I'd have died a horrible death.

hi there i believe the others have provided their valuable advice/experiences on the modules in terms of workload etc

i was just wondering if you'd realised
econs, socio, psych = social sciences
south asian = asian studies

and hence, missing out on a module from the Humanities basket? of course this could be intentional since you can always take additional exposure modules [and one from humanities in future to fulfil requirements]

i personally feel like the modules offered under humanities are limited...
ELL lit philo theatre studies

of which 3 out of the 4 are not available to a friend of mine who had to take QET (and assuming not totally exempted from EL modules)

just saying......

woonweiseng
08-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Exciting, this GL1101E. Unfortunately not available last semester. Try not to have two papers in one day, especially if they are consecutive (i.e. AM-PM, compared to AM-Evening). And especially if they're both memory work-heavy modules. Your brain will totally explode and you'll be so brain dead. Your hand will also suffer. I experienced that, and it was not even a consecutive paper, just a AM-Evening combination.

Having back-to-back lectures at different places is not very nice, but it's the next best alternative to having back-to-back examinations. In any case, you should have enough time to travel to / from UTown if you move fast enough. Just about enough time.

hi everyone, I am having problems with the timetabling for my modules.

These are the modules i am planning to take this sem:

GEK1045
SC1101E
HY1101E
GL1101E

I am still deciding between SEA or Japanese studies exposure modules from the asian studies. exam date for SEA is the same as history so i would be taking 2 papers in a day. On the other hand the lecture timings for japanese studies and GL1101E is on the same day but at consecutive timeslots (10 to 12 for GL1101E and 12 to 2 for jap studies) and different locations (AS7 0101 and TP-AUD), which means that i need time to get from one place to another.

should i take the risk of sitting for 2 papers in a day (will be mentally tiring), or to be so-called late for lecture? If both options are not favourable, are there still other alternatives to look at? (to be frank i am only interested in SEA and jap studies from asian studies)

Kaleb
08-01-2012, 12:47 AM
Pentoshi: I'd say it'd come down to how exactly you plan to map them. You only need one expo mod from each basket plus the one you intend to major in. Don't forget that you have to clear one expo mod from the other two baskets, sooner or later, and those mods aren't going to change anyway. Just keep in mind that you're only allowed a total of about 60MCs (usually about 15 modules since your average module is usually 4MCs) worth of lv 1000 modules and only 32MCs/8 modules can be FASS level 1000 modules. You're well under the limit right now, but just keep that in mind if you're making any plans.

If you're asking in terms of workload, I've never actually tried three humanities exposure modules at once, so I'll have to defer that one to those who've actually done so. Those I know generally come from the school of thought that cramming exposures all into the first semester isn't a wise idea. But certainly, people have done those exposures as UEs and GEKs before, so there's nothing wrong with doing so.

fire
08-01-2012, 03:18 PM
hi,

may i know for nus economics is there a lot of math? as in how many compulsory courses which involve math that we must take?

Thanks!

Pentoshi
08-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks Kaleb!

chiyoko
08-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Exciting, this GL1101E. Unfortunately not available last semester. Try not to have two papers in one day, especially if they are consecutive (i.e. AM-PM, compared to AM-Evening). And especially if they're both memory work-heavy modules. Your brain will totally explode and you'll be so brain dead. Your hand will also suffer. I experienced that, and it was not even a consecutive paper, just a AM-Evening combination.

Having back-to-back lectures at different places is not very nice, but it's the next best alternative to having back-to-back examinations. In any case, you should have enough time to travel to / from UTown if you move fast enough. Just about enough time.

thanks lots:) ! can i presume that the profs wont start and end lectures on time?

aprilanatomy123
08-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Anyone has taken southeast asia studies (se1101e) and south asia studies (sn1101e)?

Which is a lighter module? With less work and better grades? My other modules are probably going to kill me already so I just want something that can give a good grade since I am taking it just to fulfill the asian studies basket.

Kaleb
08-01-2012, 08:55 PM
chiyoko: Profs usually start lectures on time. As far as I recall, I've only had one prof who starts lectures 5 minutes late to give people time to get to the venue. However, you'll be happy to know that thanks to the addition of UTown, profs are now supposed to end lectures twenty-five minutes early to give students additional travelling time. (Instead of the old fifteen minutes.) The repercussions are usually felt in the lack of a break...but in any case, yes, twenty-five minutes is a bit tight but still possible.

Just think of 'em like JC teachers, it's really not that much different--most of my profs were very religious about letting us off on time but there's the occasional lecture that runs overtime...

lucida
08-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Don't worry about it. I took PH1102E. However, due to some administrative issues with NUS (which I don't really want to go into, long story), I basically have to take the module again.

You're taking PH1102E? Are you thinking of majoring, or...?

Syllabus-wise: we don't really quite do it by philosophers but by topics. If you're looking at names, people that will pop up range from David Chalmers, Nick Bostrom, Thomas Nagel, Hume, Sartre, Galen Strawson, Nietzsche (brief reference, don't get excited!), John Searle...etcetera. For my batch, what we covered were (I'm going to give a quick run-down here)--value theory, free will, personal identity, one lecture on epistemology, ethics (the equivalence thesis), the problem of evil-- I recall a great emphasis on what would be philo of mind, given that we dealt with both phenomenological aspects as well as psychological aspects. Yes, dualism and physicalism will appear under that category. The simulation argument would probably be closer to epistemology, and there's a bit of the basic distinction between metaphysics and epistemology in that same lecture.

Hope this helps.

thanks alot for the sharing ! I am still considering whether to major in philo, will have to take the exposure first to have a feel of how its like take philo academically. haha

tetra_pakk
08-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Hahahah freshies just relax! Don't worry too much, and don't underestimate or overestimate yourself. Have fun. Try to keep up with the work the best you can and you'll be fine.

To seniors: frankly, I never look forward to going to school unless the module is really good. Will be taking five Level 3000 modules and am not looking forward to it at all. The lecturer for SC3101 has even uploaded the term paper questions on IVLE already. Win.

slepheir
08-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Hello, would like to consult seniors in FASS in the following modules I'm planning to bid for in Semester 1:

JS1101E / GEK1002 - Introduction to Japanese Studies
LAJ1201 - Japanese 1
PS1101E / GEK1003 - Introduction to Politics
EC1101E - Introduction to Economic Analysis
EL1101E / GEK1011 - The Nature of Language

Can any senior(s) enlighten me on the workload for these modules? Particularly for EC1101E, since I do not have prior A Level Economic exposure so I'm pretty worried that I will not be able to catch up... Especially if the workload is heavy.

Lastly, would like to consult on the difference between the module codes for exposure modules. In the case of Introduction to Japanese Studies, how is JS1101E different from GEK1002 (i.e: why do they have 2 different module codes even though they are the same subject)?

Please excuse me if I'm asking retarded questions as I wasn't able to attend the CORS introduction lecture yesterday, and will not be able to attend the bidding clinic held tomorrow as well T_T

Kaleb
08-01-2012, 10:10 PM
lucida: If you're considering whether to major in philo, then I actually recommend you come by and sit in for one of the lv 2000 lectures that seem interesting to you. (Don't take the module if you don't want to, just sit in. Email the prof and ask for permission if you want to, but they're generally cool with that.) The reason is that lv 2000 philo (i.e. the *cough* academic *cough* stuff you're talking about) is really several thousand yards off from the kind of philo you're getting in PH1102E. Simply put, PH1102E is not that great a yardstick and you're better off sitting in to get a feel for how things work.

tetra_pakk
08-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Lastly, would like to consult on the difference between the module codes for exposure modules. In the case of Introduction to Japanese Studies, how is JS1101E different from GEK1002 (i.e: why do they have 2 different module codes even though they are the same subject)?

Because you can take it either as a language module or as a GEK. It affects when you bid, and there's this module classification exercise at the end of the semester that allows you to classify your modules to fulfill different requirements.

slepheir
08-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Because you can take it either as a language module or as a GEK. It affects when you bid, and there's this module classification exercise at the end of the semester that allows you to classify your modules to fulfill different requirements.

ah so it means that if i were to be interested in taking Japanese Studies as my major, i would have to choose the module code as GEK? and it applies for all the other modules as well right?

Kaleb
08-02-2012, 01:02 AM
slepheir: No, if you're interested in taking Japanese Studies as a major, you take the module as a JS module. You cannot take any module from your major that is crosslisted as a GEK to fulfil GEK requirements. So if you're planning to major in Japanese Studies or to keep that option open, you shouldn't be bidding for it as a GEK.

slepheir
08-02-2012, 08:52 AM
slepheir: No, if you're interested in taking Japanese Studies as a major, you take the module as a JS module. You cannot take any module from your major that is crosslisted as a GEK to fulfil GEK requirements. So if you're planning to major in Japanese Studies or to keep that option open, you shouldn't be bidding for it as a GEK.

I see! Thanks alot for clarifying it! (:

violet28
08-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Hello, would like to consult seniors in FASS in the following modules I'm planning to bid for in Semester 1:

LAJ1201 - Japanese 1

Can any senior(s) enlighten me on the workload for these modules? Particularly for EC1101E, since I do not have prior A Level Economic exposure so I'm pretty worried that I will not be able to catch up... Especially if the workload is heavy.

Please excuse me if I'm asking retarded questions as I wasn't able to attend the CORS introduction lecture yesterday, and will not be able to attend the bidding clinic held tomorrow as well T_T

Hi slepheir,

For EC1101E, do not worry about the workload as it is just 8 tutorials for the whole semester. I can't clearly remember if what is tested in midterms would not be tested in finals. Anyway, the most important concern should be whether you can grasp the concepts well. Don't be dishearten from the start given that you have no background. You should thus work doubly hard by listening to every lecture attentively and if you have any doubts clear it with the lecturer after the lecture or go to his office for consultation. Don't feel shy about consulting, you will benefit in the end and I am sure they are happy to help you. My friends and I just continuously consult until he recognizes us if we met along the corridor haha. Lastly, I would strongly recommend you to attempt the textbook questions after every chapter to get more practice, some of the answers can be found online. So after you have attempted, just google and see if you can find the answers. If unsure, ask the prof if you did it right.

You are not asking retarded questions, everyone needs to go through this stage. 2 years down the road or maybe less, I am sure you will be giving advice to your juniors too. :) Just relax and enjoy the semester, don't stress haha. In the past, I was so worried about failing or getting a C, but now I realise if you work hard and stay consistent in your work, a B and above is not hard to achieve.

Hope this helps, just my two cents worth! All the best! ^^

P.S: Feel free to ask me or the other seniors here when you don't understand anything.

teddybear
08-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Hi just to clarify.

If I bid Nature of language which is an exposure mod as well as a GEK, I can choose whether i want it to be my exposure mod or GEK only at the end of the sem? Hence, I do not need to bid under round 2A if i want to count it as a GEK, I can just bid for it during round 1C and later declare it as my GEK? thanks in advance :D

lucida
08-02-2012, 06:15 PM
lucida: If you're considering whether to major in philo, then I actually recommend you come by and sit in for one of the lv 2000 lectures that seem interesting to you. (Don't take the module if you don't want to, just sit in. Email the prof and ask for permission if you want to, but they're generally cool with that.) The reason is that lv 2000 philo (i.e. the *cough* academic *cough* stuff you're talking about) is really several thousand yards off from the kind of philo you're getting in PH1102E. Simply put, PH1102E is not that great a yardstick and you're better off sitting in to get a feel for how things work.

ahhh, thanks for the info! precious infomation. Didnt know it is possible join lectures this way(too awesome), I will think about it. What I meant by 'academically', is the rigidity of academics. Where I would need to suit myself to the flow of the module and disciplines laid out by the prof/lesson, and not be able venture freely as I want. I have been pursuing philo on my own since this ;) and I probably get what you meant by 'is really several thousand yards off from the kind of philo you're getting in PH1102E' hehehe.

Kaleb
08-02-2012, 06:22 PM
lucida: Yeah, then you'll probably find that PH1102E won't really give you a good idea ;) Yes, you can join lectures this way, of course just don't be disruptive, etc, and they're fine with it. Some profs may prefer it if you ask but I haven't known of anyone being turned down yet. And it really depends on what you mean by venturing freely. As far as I know, no one stops you from reading up more and bringing that up in discussions, or even essays...

lucida
08-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Do correct me if I am wrong, but the vibe that I get from ph1102e, is that its just a sprinkle of philosophy in general spreaded over the sem(as it speaks; exposure). Haha the freedom that I meant is about taking which ever aspect of philo as and when I want(Philosophia as it is) haha and not solely just Philosophy of the Mind for 13weeks LOL. Pardon me for my lack of discipline rofl

Kaleb
08-02-2012, 07:21 PM
lucida: Yes, pretty much. I wouldn't say 'a sprinkle of philosophy' either because I don't think the assessment or the module itself reflects the academic requirements of higher level (read: lv 2000) philosophy modules so doing well in it or passing it isn't really a good indication of what philosophy's really like in terms of academic requirements/rigour either.

Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, that might take some getting used to or sitting in on. PH1102E's a bit more free in that sort of sense, yes, as compared to something like Continental Philosophy. For that you might be better off auditing but I'm very hesitant to suggest auditing because profs have different attitudes towards that and it is entirely possible you may end up with an extra burden through your sem. So yeah, I guess the closest you can get if you're not taking an lv 2000 is pretty much sitting in :)

lucida
08-02-2012, 07:44 PM
kekeke, just hope I dont get addicted to it lol.

Sorry, what do you mean by auditing ?

Kaleb
08-02-2012, 07:54 PM
'Auditing' is a specific term used when you ask for permission to basically take the module on a non-credit basis. The reason why I differentiate it from sitting in is that some profs do/may see asking to audit as something that requires more commitment than just sitting in. I do know some of them do expect you to keep abreast of the work and complete the same classwork, essays, that all your fellow classmates actually reading the module are doing. Just that it won't be reflected on your transcript or anything.

As a result, I'm very hesitant to suggest it because while it would give you a very good picture of academic requirements, it is also much definitely more of a commitment than just sitting in on lectures.

lucida
08-02-2012, 09:26 PM
ahh, I think sitting in would just do fine. Auditing requires too much commitment in my opinion.
Thanks lots for sharing !

slepheir
08-03-2012, 02:07 AM
Hi slepheir,

For EC1101E, do not worry about the workload as it is just 8 tutorials for the whole semester. I can't clearly remember if what is tested in midterms would not be tested in finals. Anyway, the most important concern should be whether you can grasp the concepts well. Don't be dishearten from the start given that you have no background. You should thus work doubly hard by listening to every lecture attentively and if you have any doubts clear it with the lecturer after the lecture or go to his office for consultation. Don't feel shy about consulting, you will benefit in the end and I am sure they are happy to help you. My friends and I just continuously consult until he recognizes us if we met along the corridor haha. Lastly, I would strongly recommend you to attempt the textbook questions after every chapter to get more practice, some of the answers can be found online. So after you have attempted, just google and see if you can find the answers. If unsure, ask the prof if you did it right.

You are not asking retarded questions, everyone needs to go through this stage. 2 years down the road or maybe less, I am sure you will be giving advice to your juniors too. :) Just relax and enjoy the semester, don't stress haha. In the past, I was so worried about failing or getting a C, but now I realise if you work hard and stay consistent in your work, a B and above is not hard to achieve.

Hope this helps, just my two cents worth! All the best! ^^

P.S: Feel free to ask me or the other seniors here when you don't understand anything.

Wow thanks alot for the advice and encouragement! I feel much more confident in taking new subjects now after you've shared your experience. Thank you! (:

frolick
08-03-2012, 10:39 PM
lucida: Yes, pretty much. I wouldn't say 'a sprinkle of philosophy' either because I don't think the assessment or the module itself reflects the academic requirements of higher level (read: lv 2000) philosophy modules so doing well in it or passing it isn't really a good indication of what philosophy's really like in terms of academic requirements/rigour either.

Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, that might take some getting used to or sitting in on. PH1102E's a bit more free in that sort of sense, yes, as compared to something like Continental Philosophy. For that you might be better off auditing but I'm very hesitant to suggest auditing because profs have different attitudes towards that and it is entirely possible you may end up with an extra burden through your sem. So yeah, I guess the closest you can get if you're not taking an lv 2000 is pretty much sitting in :)

Apologies for butting in. Kaleb, are you a philo major? I took it as exposure. I would say the content is so damn wonderful but summary exercises were so horrible, regrettably, I dropped it. I only read philosophy for leisure now it's just a wonderful brain-twisting subject but not being graded for it works for me best.

I'm so impressed by philo students to be honest, because it's really not for just anyone. Philosophy of Religion has been tempting me for quite awhile, but I'm restraining myself. I know for sure I'll enjoy the content, but I'm really bad at summaries. I do a lot of question begging subconsciously, which is sad because whenever I do question begging I thought it was a nice summary haha.

I just want to say that I never regretted taking my first ever philosophy module in my life even though I did not see it to the end.

frolick
08-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Wow thanks alot for the advice and encouragement! I feel much more confident in taking new subjects now after you've shared your experience. Thank you! (:

I'm not sure who your lecturer is but I hope you'll get Dr Siva as your tutor, she's very patient and very nice when she explains concepts. I like the way she sets her tutorials. Maybe she'll come in during your Macro. Good Luck. I agree a hundred percent with what violet28 mentioned. You'll also find that the econ society will sell past year exam papers and solutions so there's more practice there too.

Kaleb
08-03-2012, 11:56 PM
frolick: Yes, I'm a philo major. Hey man, the summary exercises got on my nerves at points too. And don't worry about it--I was half-expecting to do badly for philo of religion myself and I did get rather beaten up by the module. Taking it on a graded basis just doesn't work for everyone, but it's cool to know that the subject is interesting to quite a bunch of people! For what it's worth--you do know the prof doesn't set you summaries for philo of religion, right? It's one essay, a group presentation, and an open book exam.

Glad you enjoyed the exposure despite the summaries, though! It was pretty fun, I thought.

Shadowed
08-04-2012, 02:48 AM

LAJ1201 - Japanese 1

This is probably coming in a little late, but I did take some of the modules before.

LAJ1201 The 7 hrs per week thing does seem daunting, but I'd say that each lesson is enjoyable so you won't even feel the time passing. The workload concerns are valid, but as long as you are consistent you will do fine. But you really need to be consistent, as there are weekly quizzes. I felt that it was good as it forced you to revise your stuff each week. I scored pretty well in it, without prior knowledge of Japanese, so don't worry.

For JS1101E, it is rather interesting. However, the group project can kill. It requires writing a group paper on anything about Japan. Do start on your project early if you plan to take the module. The final exam was 50 MCQs that randomly tested things from the readings, so do read up on them.

EC1101E is just on really basic economic concepts, so it will be easy to grasp even without prior economic knowledge. The only math that you will see is simply linear graphs and substitutions.

knowyourrightsxx
08-06-2012, 09:20 AM
hey guys! hope bidding has been fine!

quick question here (which i hope can be answered here so i do not have to call them up) - i'm trying to bid for 1 module which i couldn't get at round 1C and that's an exposure module (i.e essential / module type code 01)

but when i placed my bids, it prompted me that it was an 'advance bid' which were subsequently 'successfully placed'

im guessing there could be different queues? but shouldn't we be allowed to bid for faculty/core/essential modules during 2A as well?

TIA!

EDIT: I went to check the 'modules available for bidding for this round' under 'Useful Info' and found out that the module i want is offered for bidding but only for Returning Students[P] and New Students[G]

Does that mean that there are no more offered to FASS students this round and i have to wait till round3?

The module is PH1102E...

Shadowed
08-07-2012, 01:39 AM
hey guys! hope bidding has been fine!

quick question here (which i hope can be answered here so i do not have to call them up) - i'm trying to bid for 1 module which i couldn't get at round 1C and that's an exposure module (i.e essential / module type code 01)

but when i placed my bids, it prompted me that it was an 'advance bid' which were subsequently 'successfully placed'

im guessing there could be different queues? but shouldn't we be allowed to bid for faculty/core/essential modules during 2A as well?

TIA!

EDIT: I went to check the 'modules available for bidding for this round' under 'Useful Info' and found out that the module i want is offered for bidding but only for Returning Students[P] and New Students[G]

Does that mean that there are no more offered to FASS students this round and i have to wait till round3?

The module is PH1102E...

If you cannot bid in this round that means that you have to wait for round 3 i think. Since it's only for New Student[G] means that it's for new students outside faculty, as FASS students will use P-acct points.

knowyourrightsxx
08-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Hi Shadowed

thanks for your reply. i'd figured so since i was made to place an 'advance bid'.

but....is that strange? since i'm bidding for an exposure/essential module? idk it's my first time and what i know about round 3 is where EVERYONE bids and 'fights' for the leftovers.....so it sounds difficult to me

btw PH1102E the exposure for philo this sem was quite competitive like the lowest successful bid was 100 points. even supposedly more 'popular' ones like econs and CNM didn't require this amount....

anyone has any advice if i should just bid for something available (other exposures available at 1 point) or wait till round 3 for the philo module [which is uncertain depending on demand vs the quota they release]

p/s i did try to bid for gems/ss but those offered this sem didn't interest me + bid points were quite high..

violet28
08-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Hi Shadowed

thanks for your reply. i'd figured so since i was made to place an 'advance bid'.

but....is that strange? since i'm bidding for an exposure/essential module? idk it's my first time and what i know about round 3 is where EVERYONE bids and 'fights' for the leftovers.....so it sounds difficult to me

btw PH1102E the exposure for philo this sem was quite competitive like the lowest successful bid was 100 points. even supposedly more 'popular' ones like econs and CNM didn't require this amount....

anyone has any advice if i should just bid for something available (other exposures available at 1 point) or wait till round 3 for the philo module [which is uncertain depending on demand vs the quota they release]

p/s i did try to bid for gems/ss but those offered this sem didn't interest me + bid points were quite high..

Hi,

You should be able to bid now since it is open to both P & G account bidding. There are 51 vacancies. Do you currently have 5 modules and this is the sixth you are bidding for?

knowyourrightsxx
08-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Hi,

You should be able to bid now since it is open to both P & G account bidding. There are 51 vacancies. Do you currently have 5 modules and this is the sixth you are bidding for?

hi violet28

no i do not have 5 mods yet! and i found it strange too because when i selected and placed my bids it became 'advance bids'. i tried it with SN1101E and it went through successfully ie. a normal bid (not advance bid)

could it be because i lost the bid during round 1C? for PH1102E? i believe because of the high demand for this (and other) mods, they are opening the places up to the others (i.e. returning students + new students using G points)......so like what Shadowed said, i think it'll only be available (if any, lol) at round 3....

did everyone get their mods at round 1C? sigh....

frolick
08-07-2012, 11:14 AM
hi violet28

no i do not have 5 mods yet! and i found it strange too because when i selected and placed my bids it became 'advance bids'. i tried it with SN1101E and it went through successfully ie. a normal bid (not advance bid)

could it be because i lost the bid during round 1C? for PH1102E? i believe because of the high demand for this (and other) mods, they are opening the places up to the others (i.e. returning students + new students using G points)......so like what Shadowed said, i think it'll only be available (if any, lol) at round 3....

did everyone get their mods at round 1C? sigh....

Usually advanced bids are placed for the next round of bidding where you can bid that module in round 3 as Shadowed mentioned.

Rounds 2A and 2B are for G account modules. So you may have to wait till Round 3A on 13th August but anyway you still go to school for the modules you are registered for even if you currently have 3 with you while the rest is in the bidding process.

frolick
08-07-2012, 11:24 AM
frolick: Yes, I'm a philo major. Hey man, the summary exercises got on my nerves at points too. And don't worry about it--I was half-expecting to do badly for philo of religion myself and I did get rather beaten up by the module. Taking it on a graded basis just doesn't work for everyone, but it's cool to know that the subject is interesting to quite a bunch of people! For what it's worth--you do know the prof doesn't set you summaries for philo of religion, right? It's one essay, a group presentation, and an open book exam.

Glad you enjoyed the exposure despite the summaries, though! It was pretty fun, I thought.

I have a friend who took philo of religion, she said it was a wonderful module but she got beaten up by barely passing the essay. She took the semester with Pelczar. Maybe last semester. Thanks Kaleb!

knowyourrightsxx
08-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Usually advanced bids are placed for the next round of bidding where you can bid that module in round 3 as Shadowed mentioned.

Rounds 2A and 2B are for G account modules. So you may have to wait till Round 3A on 13th August but anyway you still go to school for the modules you are registered for even if you currently have 3 with you while the rest is in the bidding process.

hi frolick

thanks for your reply. based on your experience, will it be a problem securing the module via round3? i really don't wanna go through the hassle of appealing etc when school starts on 13 aug...

another doubt i have is...in that case why would SN1101E a module supposedly deducted from P account available for bidding? (i remember there were 13 bidders out of 93 places or smth...) is it because it has low demand so they are putting it up during round 2 anyway to utilise enrolment?

if that's really the case, i might settle for other less popular mods cos i dont wanna risk it in round 3 :(

Kaleb
08-07-2012, 06:19 PM
I have a friend who took philo of religion, she said it was a wonderful module but she got beaten up by barely passing the essay. She took the semester with Pelczar. Maybe last semester. Thanks Kaleb!

Ah, then it wasn't last sem. I took it last sem with Tagore...though I have to say that I'm not sure that makes things better. I agree I wrote the worst philo essay I ever submitted for that module...

knowyourrightsxx: TBH, PH1102E is usually a pain to bid for in sem 1, which was why I originally took the module in sem 2. My friend tried bidding for it in Round 3 last sem and ended up paying 500+ points for it. All in all, make your decision carefully. You might also chance an appeal but I think you are better off bidding for another module first--you can always drop it if you end up getting PH1102E.

knowyourrightsxx
08-07-2012, 06:40 PM
knowyourrightsxx: TBH, PH1102E is usually a pain to bid for in sem 1, which was why I originally took the module in sem 2. My friend tried bidding for it in Round 3 last sem and ended up paying 500+ points for it. All in all, make your decision carefully. You might also chance an appeal but I think you are better off bidding for another module first--you can always drop it if you end up getting PH1102E.

hi Kaleb, thanks for your suggestions! i didn't know PH1102E 'is usually a pain'!!! all i know is the hotter modules are econs, CNM (i'm totally wrong) and psychology!!!

anw i guess i'll settle for the less popular one first and i'd assume if i ~manage~ to get PH1102E at round 3 I can drop this 'less popular module' with no penalty except 50% bid points?

now i understand why seniors find CORS/bidding such a chore! :D

violet28
08-08-2012, 12:11 AM
hi Kaleb, thanks for your suggestions! i didn't know PH1102E 'is usually a pain'!!! all i know is the hotter modules are econs, CNM (i'm totally wrong) and psychology!!!

anw i guess i'll settle for the less popular one first and i'd assume if i ~manage~ to get PH1102E at round 3 I can drop this 'less popular module' with no penalty except 50% bid points?

now i understand why seniors find CORS/bidding such a chore! :D

Hi knowyourrightsxx,

I think I know why, it is not because you are outbidded, it's just that the department decides to open it for returning students and other students using G account this round. It seems that this is the case for last year too. At the SN side, you can bid for it because they have separate vacancies for new students to bid.

I guess you would really have to bid in Round 3. Like what others have said, reconsider other modules or bid it for next sem, it seems really hard to secure it. What are the less popular mods are u thinking of? :)

Kaleb
08-08-2012, 01:08 AM
knowyourrightsxx: Yes, there won't be a penalty, and you'll get a 50% refund if you drop the mod early enough. You can always check the bidding statistics for each round from the previous years. PH1102E cost 189 points at the end of Round 1C last sem, so this sem was pretty lucky for things to cap at 100.

knowyourrightsxx
08-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Violet28: haha yeah man time to reconsider other mods and the less popular ones I was referring to we're mainly from the Asian studies basket! Hehe

Kaleb: arghh I did try to understand the stats /archives but guess I didnt understand lol or was confused...yeah this year Roud 1C was taken at 100 points.

Guess I'll take the less popular one first and try my luck at round 3 for philo and I I get it I'll drop accordingly. Thanks for all the help guys!!!

frolick
08-08-2012, 11:47 AM
If you have to take from Asian Basket, would totally recommend Southeast Asia SE1101E I like that module and the department. I took the semester with Johnson and Parades. Exam is essay based. Lecturers are unconventional, I found them cool. But as with all modules, some do not like things to be unconventional hence some people like it and some people don't.

Kaleb: for a moment there I thought Tagore was the Indian poet Rabindranath Tagore =)

Good luck freshie!

Kaleb
08-08-2012, 10:22 PM
If you have to take from Asian Basket, would totally recommend Southeast Asia SE1101E I like that module and the department. I took the semester with Johnson and Parades. Exam is essay based. Lecturers are unconventional, I found them cool. But as with all modules, some do not like things to be unconventional hence some people like it and some people don't.

Kaleb: for a moment there I thought Tagore was the Indian poet Rabindranath Tagore =)

Good luck freshie!

If I remember correctly, he's Rabindranath Tagore's grandson or something like that. So you're not that far off ;)

forumuser
08-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Hi not sure if im hijacking the thread or anything but I do have a few questions to ask!!

What are some interesting breadths to consider taking (I'm an FASS student) and can a GEKXXX mod from outside the FASS fac be considered as a breadth? Ive heard of a module LSMXXXX on Animal Behaviour thats very interesting, anyone taken it before? Thanks in adv! :)

pufferfish
08-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Hi not sure if im hijacking the thread or anything but I do have a few questions to ask!!

What are some interesting breadths to consider taking (I'm an FASS student) and can a GEKXXX mod from outside the FASS fac be considered as a breadth? Ive heard of a module LSMXXXX on Animal Behaviour thats very interesting, anyone taken it before? Thanks in adv! :)

If i'm not wrong... anything not cross-listed or offered by FASS would be deemed as a breadth. I heard of the Animal Behaviour mod and i'm thinking of taking it too! Unfortunately it's only offered once a year in Sem 2 so do keep a look out come next year!

I'm actually in a bit of my rut myself. I only just secured my 4th mod in Round 2A using all 400 pts of my G acct OUCH. And i still have no idea if i will be able to get SC1101E, SW1101E or PL2131 in the coming rounds. From what i saw in the report, seems like the only mod with places for "New Students (P)" is SW. Can anybody enlighten me as to whether it is likely places will be opened in Round 3? TIA:)

Kaleb
08-09-2012, 04:33 PM

As long as the mod isn't from FASS, it's a breadth. Personally, I think GEK1508 is always a good one to be taking, but the bidding for the module is always very fierce, particularly in Sem 2. I've heard that Forensic Science is a good option but I've never personally taken that one so I can't really say.

frolick
08-09-2012, 05:13 PM
If I remember correctly, he's Rabindranath Tagore's grandson or something like that. So you're not that far off ;)

my dear god :eek: are you for real! I love Tagore! I'm going to take this mod before I graduate definitely. The relative of the Rabindranath Tagore, in NUS... im still in shock.

chiyoko
08-10-2012, 12:33 AM
If i'm not wrong... anything not cross-listed or offered by FASS would be deemed as a breadth. I heard of the Animal Behaviour mod and i'm thinking of taking it too! Unfortunately it's only offered once a year in Sem 2 so do keep a look out come next year!

I'm actually in a bit of my rut myself. I only just secured my 4th mod in Round 2A using all 400 pts of my G acct OUCH. And i still have no idea if i will be able to get SC1101E, SW1101E or PL2131 in the coming rounds. From what i saw in the report, seems like the only mod with places for "New Students (P)" is SW. Can anybody enlighten me as to whether it is likely places will be opened in Round 3? TIA:)

hey pufferfish, freshie here too :) i just have this hunch that SC1101E wont be available for bidding anymore in round 3. There are only 4 places left to be offered in 2B, considering the fact that all places have been taken up in round 2A plus the number of bidders exceeded the quota. Somemore SC1101E was really popular this sem. As for PL2131 there might still be a chance for it to appear in round 3 provided if all 13 places offered in 2B wont be filled. (To be honest, for PL2131 I am not in a position to comment cos i am not really interested in psych so i wasnt following its bidding statistics closely.) Good luck! ^^

tetra_pakk
08-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Hahahahah freshies, if you guys thought that CORS bidding was bad, wait till you get to tutorial allocation. It's worse.

And yes, SC1101E is very popular. By looking at the location of the lecture, you can tell actually - LT11 is the biggest LT in FASS I think. Usually most of the 1101 modules are held there.

Good luck freshies, and don't fret! (:

123galgal
08-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Hi all, I know it may be a stupid question to ask but can I confirm with you guys that school start on the 13 this monday?! I am quite loss cos I didn't attend any camp, briefing or orientation. Thanks for the help

tetra_pakk
08-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Hi all, I know it may be a stupid question to ask but can I confirm with you guys that school start on the 13 this monday?! I am quite loss cos I didn't attend any camp, briefing or orientation. Thanks for the help

HAHAHAHAH yes it does!

This would help: https://share.nus.edu.sg/registrar/info/calendar/AY2012-2013.pdf

(:

pufferfish
08-10-2012, 10:57 PM
hey pufferfish, freshie here too :) i just have this hunch that SC1101E wont be available for bidding anymore in round 3. There are only 4 places left to be offered in 2B, considering the fact that all places have been taken up in round 2A plus the number of bidders exceeded the quota. Somemore SC1101E was really popular this sem. As for PL2131 there might still be a chance for it to appear in round 3 provided if all 13 places offered in 2B wont be filled. (To be honest, for PL2131 I am not in a position to comment cos i am not really interested in psych so i wasnt following its bidding statistics closely.) Good luck! ^^

Chiyoko: I just checked the report, only 14 vacancies for SC in round 3. I'm pretty sure we won't stand a chance against seniors and their wealth of P points :mad: I got my 5th mod-SW for 1 point but i'll be tryin my luck for PL2131 with my miserly 2xx P points. But what's the chance man :( You got all your mods, Chiyoko?:)

knowyourrightsxx
08-11-2012, 09:53 AM
hi pufferfish

that sucks right.....i wanted to take SC1101E this sem as well (but sigh could have gotten it at 50 points during 1C....i placed 30 pts confidently and got outbidded lol)

so if we don't get our necessary workload i.e. 5 mods/sem, we appeal after round 3 has ended right? but that's really weird cos the tutorial iteration would have started? unless the appeal thingy allows you to know your results/status within the same day (which i doubt)... so if appeal is successful, they randomly assign you a tutorial slot for the appealed module?

p/s: also wanted to reconfirm when is the tutorial balloting...

From CORS:

Iteration 1 is conducted for ECE, Career Centre, and selected Physics Level-1000 modules.
Iteration 2 is conducted for all other modules except for registrations conducted by individual faculties.

so which iteration do we belong to? for round 2 -- 17 - 18th AND 21st Aug 0900 hrs -1700 hrs the same day [can someone explain the pause/break for 19th and 20th?]

sorry for the questions, as someone said if you found module bidding bad, tutorial balloting is gonna be worse!!! so hopefully someone can shed some light and provide help to the rest of the readers! TIA :)

chiyoko
08-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Chiyoko: I just checked the report, only 14 vacancies for SC in round 3. I'm pretty sure we won't stand a chance against seniors and their wealth of P points :mad: I got my 5th mod-SW for 1 point but i'll be tryin my luck for PL2131 with my miserly 2xx P points. But what's the chance man :( You got all your mods, Chiyoko?:)

haha chill, next time when we become seniors the freshies will be mad at us as well for distorting the module bidding market. I didnt get all my mods and what i ended up taking this sem was quite different from what i planned initially. Got outbidded for SC1101E by 1 point in 1C :mad: so i will be doing it next sem since it is kinda suicidal to bid again in the subsequent rounds. Will be doing GEK1502 (Which cost more than 1/2 of my G account), HY1101E, PS1101E, JS1101E and LAM1201

chiyoko
08-11-2012, 12:57 PM
HAHAHAHAH yes it does!

This would help: https://share.nus.edu.sg/registrar/info/calendar/AY2012-2013.pdf

(:

so do we attend the lecture slots we are allocated with then ballot for tutorial slots in school?

pufferfish
08-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Chiyoko: SAMEEE i got outbidded for my PL2131 by 2 points:eek: And i emptied my G acc for GEK1045! I guess it's sth we all have to get used to, not getting what we planned on doing but it's not necessarily bad too i suppose. just make the best out of our lot:) HAHA SELF CONSOLATION:p I got my SW1101E for 1 pt so phew all 5 mods secured too! Yaye C:

Anyw Im thinking of doing SC next sem too so hey we may be classmates yo.

knowyourrightsxx: Sighhh i had the same misplaced confidence. Had the naivete that 20 pts was more than enough :rolleyes:

Good thing you asked cus i'm not sure how the tutorial iteration thing works either! But i have a bad feeling that in the case we don't get our 20 MCs worth of mods, the sch might just randomly assign us a mod that's undersubscribed so do try and bid for a mod in round 3! I'm lucky i got all 5 mods, never mind they weren't what i had in mind initially. How many mods have you gotten? 4?

knowyourrightsxx
08-11-2012, 10:24 PM
pufferfish:

i think if one meets the minimum workload per sem (iirc 15 MC) i don't think they allocate randomly....

i got 5! but of the 5, 2 are like not my desired mods (with one i intended to take next sem but got it this sem at 1 point so no big issue just sooner or later) and the last one that i intend to take in future (like year 2/3) cos it's a language! so i've gotten all 5 but am trying for one during appeals period, if successful ill drop the language and take it in future!

school starting in 2 days hope everyone else is prepping well and getting excited.....but for the first week i only have to return to school for like 3 days with the 3 days having 1 at most 2 lectures!

Kaleb
08-11-2012, 10:37 PM
hi pufferfish

that sucks right.....i wanted to take SC1101E this sem as well (but sigh could have gotten it at 50 points during 1C....i placed 30 pts confidently and got outbidded lol)

so if we don't get our necessary workload i.e. 5 mods/sem, we appeal after round 3 has ended right? but that's really weird cos the tutorial iteration would have started? unless the appeal thingy allows you to know your results/status within the same day (which i doubt)... so if appeal is successful, they randomly assign you a tutorial slot for the appealed module?

p/s: also wanted to reconfirm when is the tutorial balloting...

From CORS:

Iteration 1 is conducted for ECE, Career Centre, and selected Physics Level-1000 modules.
Iteration 2 is conducted for all other modules except for registrations conducted by individual faculties.

so which iteration do we belong to? for round 2 -- 17 - 18th AND 21st Aug 0900 hrs -1700 hrs the same day [can someone explain the pause/break for 19th and 20th?]

sorry for the questions, as someone said if you found module bidding bad, tutorial balloting is gonna be worse!!! so hopefully someone can shed some light and provide help to the rest of the readers! TIA :)

Don't worry about this. Okay, the first thing I'd advise--rule of thumb, everything from FASS would be in Iteration 2. But if you don't want to take a risk, check the CORS listing, which should tell you which iteration tutorial bidding for that specific module is scheduled for.

The pause is quite simply because A) 19th is a Sunday, and a public holiday on the NUS calender and B) 20th is Hari Raya and therefore a public holiday anyway.

Next, don't worry because tutorial balloting is not like bidding. (Yeah, yeah, thank you Captain Obvious.) What I mean is that it is not first come first served. You just rank your tutorials in order of preference--keep in mind you can rank more than one tutorial from a module. All you have to do is to log in within that period and perform your rankings. Your last saved configuration is what they'll work with to give you your balloting results. Sounds simple enough? ;)

Well, the only tricky bit is it'd be worse than bidding because you may not be able to get what you want, i.e. having to fall back to backup tutorials. If too many slots clash (simple example: you ballot for Module A Tutorial 1, you can't get it and instead get Tutorial 2, but that clashes with Module B Tutorial 1 which is your third-ranked tutorial slot so you don't get that and so on...) yeah, it's a veritable headache on its own. Deciding how to rank the tutorials can be a bit tricky.

tetra_pakk
08-12-2012, 12:09 AM
so do we attend the lecture slots we are allocated with then ballot for tutorial slots in school?

Er no, it's through CORS, you don't have to be there physically! (: Basically you just rank the tutorial slots you want (ie. die die must get --> don't get also nevermind), I think there are 15 choices. Then the system does the allocation.

tetra_pakk
08-12-2012, 12:25 AM
Actually you all don't have to worry about running out of points. After you declare your major, you get to take part in the MPE (module preference exercise) which allocates modules in your major for 1 point each, if you're lucky. I spent a grand total of 5 points this sem! (:

Seriously freshies, just chill. Don't worry excessively!

violet28
08-12-2012, 01:12 AM
I agree with what tetra_park had said, don't worry! =)

Regarding the balloting process, I would suggest to rank those that you do not have much slots you can go to first and so on. Even if you did not get, there is always a last resort, appeal! Queue up at the department during the appeal period and show them that you have no other slots to fit into. Works for me most of the time haha, except once. Tutorials usually start in week 3, so plenty of time to appeal.

For P account, don't worry you will have enough to survive till year 3 at least. I have friends who bankrupt their P accounts for year 3 and now they are going to appeal for 4000 modules. I told them not to worry much as we can always appeal haha. Thats always the final solution, just persuade the department with reasons. I personally still have a thousand plus points for next sem and I should be able to secure some modules through MPE. So fear nothing! ^^

You can now plan all the possible timetables using NUS timetable builder. Then on the 17th August just rank. ^^ All the best!

knowyourrightsxx
08-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Don't worry about this. Okay, the first thing I'd advise--rule of thumb, everything from FASS would be in Iteration 2. But if you don't want to take a risk, check the CORS listing, which should tell you which iteration tutorial bidding for that specific module is scheduled for.

The pause is quite simply because A) 19th is a Sunday, and a public holiday on the NUS calender and B) 20th is Hari Raya and therefore a public holiday anyway.

Next, don't worry because tutorial balloting is not like bidding. (Yeah, yeah, thank you Captain Obvious.) What I mean is that it is not first come first served. You just rank your tutorials in order of preference--keep in mind you can rank more than one tutorial from a module. All you have to do is to log in within that period and perform your rankings. Your last saved configuration is what they'll work with to give you your balloting results. Sounds simple enough? ;)

Well, the only tricky bit is it'd be worse than bidding because you may not be able to get what you want, i.e. having to fall back to backup tutorials. If too many slots clash (simple example: you ballot for Module A Tutorial 1, you can't get it and instead get Tutorial 2, but that clashes with Module B Tutorial 1 which is your third-ranked tutorial slot so you don't get that and so on...) yeah, it's a veritable headache on its own. Deciding how to rank the tutorials can be a bit tricky.

Thank you Kaleb. My worry now is regarding the appeal (and if successful, the allocation of tutorial for the appealed module). nonetheless, youve been of great help thanks! :)

pufferfish
08-12-2012, 03:53 PM
knowyourrightsxx: Im strangely enough v v excited for sch :p And yes for some reason i just have to say this. That my uh... 'ambition' is to have a 3 day work week, and since there's no tutorial for the first 2 weeks- i only have to report to sch twice every week HEHEHE ;) Hopefully tutorial balloting will be kind to me! All the best for your bidding and appeal!

123galgal
08-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Oh...may I know how can we check for our timetable? I went to myisis but there are so many tabs I don't know under which tab to find. Sorry for the trouble again!

tetra_pakk
08-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Oh...may I know how can we check for our timetable? I went to myisis but there are so many tabs I don't know under which tab to find. Sorry for the trouble again!

Go to IVLE. https://ivle.nus.edu.sg/default.aspx

"My Organizer" on the left, above the calendar. --> "Weekly" on the left, next to the calendar.

123galgal
08-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Thank you very much:)
So excited for my first lesson tmr. EC1011E anyone? Hehe

knowyourrightsxx
08-12-2012, 07:49 PM
pufferfish: thank you and all the best in school (and your 3 day work week plan )

123galgal: i'm in EC1101E.... but eh just curious, when the lecturer uploads ''slides'' under the Lecture Notes workbin - does that refer the the lecture notes we will eventually be printing per se?

Dr Connie (EC1101E) uploaded 2 slides...

123galgal
08-12-2012, 08:40 PM
knowyourrightsxx:hmm...I think it will be better if you print out the slides
So that you can get an idea and follow the flow of the lecture. For me, I can't print no more ink. Ahaha

kevinkoh
12-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Hi is there any psy major seniors here?
I would like to find out how language intensive are the psy modules.
I have only managed to attained C for GP in the A levels, im nit sure if it would be suicidal to take psy as a major.

Davy Jones
12-19-2012, 12:20 AM
Hi is there any psy major seniors here?
I would like to find out how language intensive are the psy modules.
I have only managed to attained C for GP in the A levels, im nit sure if it would be suicidal to take psy as a major.
kevinkoh : psych modules aren't really language intensive, but it would be a definite slight added advantage if you can write well(:

kevinkoh
12-19-2012, 11:01 AM
kevinkoh : psych modules aren't really language intensive, but it would be a definite slight added advantage if you can write well(:

Thanks! glad to know.

mredto22
01-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Hi, I am currently a NSF currently having a place in NUS SCIENCE (CHEMISTRY)
However, I am intending to change course and study psychology in NUS. i have read almost all the posts in this thread and knew quite abit of psychology in NUS. However, just for assurance, if I am unable to bid till psychology as my major, I am unable to major in other things ready am I right? I am just graduating with a Bac of Arts/social sciences thats all?

In addition, what are some of the modules that as a humanities student need to take apart from your major? Those ''electives'' I meant. As i studied Chemical Engineering in Poly, I am afraid that I cant handle alot of ''history and social studies stuff''. Give me some opinions guys as the window to apply is coming next week. Thanks!!

worm
01-31-2013, 12:54 AM
However, I am intending to change course and study psychology in NUS. i have read almost all the posts in this thread and knew quite abit of psychology in NUS. However, just for assurance, if I am unable to bid till psychology as my major, I am unable to major in other things ready am I right? I am just graduating with a Bac of Arts/social sciences thats all?

In addition, what are some of the modules that as a humanities student need to take apart from your major? Those ''electives'' I meant. As i studied Chemical Engineering in Poly, I am afraid that I cant handle alot of ''history and social studies stuff''. Give me some opinions guys as the window to apply is coming next week. Thanks!!

Do take note... psych is actually a form social science..? If you resist this fact you can ignore whatever i type beyond this line.

Bidding shouldn't exactly be a problem (as far as I have seen). There are requirements such as you have to score at least a B- or B+ (i can't remember which) for psych intro and psych stats in order to declare psych as your major. If your bid for psych mods are unsuccessful in the first sem, you can always try bidding them in the second sem. Just that you will suffer from some delays (such as unable to take higher level mods). If you grad without hons (meaning the 4th yr), you'll have B.Arts. Else B.Socical Science.

With regards to how the system works with FASS, check out this link:
http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/undergrad/tocheck/matriculation/modular_paper.html

I believe FASS works with a different framework, so take your time to figure out the system. More importantly, I'd say don't be fickle minded with your choice. Take your pick on Chem of Psych carefully, it will be a choice of no return; unless you want to waste time changing course etc.

There's no such thing as "able" to handle or not, once you've finalised your decision, you HAVE to handle it. It's not just FASS, this is how uni works. I'm a poly grad as well; there are areas where we will lose out to jc grads, but how do you deal with it lies with you. Good luck?

anteloped
01-31-2013, 01:42 AM

Hello, don't worry about bidding, really. You will get psych if you really want it (just throw in more points). The only problem is if you want to take a few popular modules at once - in that case, you have to prioritise, in which the module you intend to major in should come first.

(anyway, you can choose to major in something else any time during the semester. Only that there are requirements for graduation, so lets say you do psych for 2 sems, then decide to switch to sociology. You probably will end up graduating later in order to flfil the MC requirements.)

In fass, you need to clear 1 module from each school (social science, asian studies and humanities) (at least i think that's the classification). Other than that, you are free to take electives from outside your faculty.

But yknow, like the guy ^ said, think wisely. Once you switch from science to fass, there's no turning back!!

(btw if you don't already know, be prepared to write loads of essays and read loads and loads of articles. I'm not sure for psych cos I'm doing soci [but i assume it's about the same], but a normal level 2000 module has about 2-3 required readings per week, and one article is about 15-30 pages long. To score, yes you have to read. )

Whatever you choose, all the best! :)

worm
02-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Hello, don't worry about bidding, really. You will get psych if you really want it (just throw in more points). The only problem is if you want to take a few popular modules at once - in that case, you have to prioritise, in which the module you intend to major in should come first.

(anyway, you can choose to major in something else any time during the semester. Only that there are requirements for graduation, so lets say you do psych for 2 sems, then decide to switch to sociology. You probably will end up graduating later in order to flfil the MC requirements.)

In fass, you need to clear 1 module from each school (social science, asian studies and humanities) (at least i think that's the classification). Other than that, you are free to take electives from outside your faculty.

But yknow, like the guy ^ said, think wisely. Once you switch from science to fass, there's no turning back!!

(btw if you don't already know, be prepared to write loads of essays and read loads and loads of articles. I'm not sure for psych cos I'm doing soci [but i assume it's about the same], but a normal level 2000 module has about 2-3 required readings per week, and one article is about 15-30 pages long. To score, yes you have to read. )

Whatever you choose, all the best! :)

I think it'll be best not to judge the level of difficulty on our standards. Who knows if he might just ace everything?

Don't worry about the requirements and all that crap, you'll get a hang of it after a sem or two.

Not to say that there's no turning back, rather, it's about time for an adult to affirm what he/ she is keen to learn instead of being spoon-fed.

Readings in FASS is generally pretty insane perhaps compared to other courses (except for econs which is almost 80% math). Not to scare you off, I recall a friend of mine taking this mod which has 3 textbooks. I mean, it really depends on you; nothing is easy from this point onwards. (If you think this is tough, recall your internship days. You'd probably have caught a glimpse of the working world and do you think that that is any better off than studying?)

If you still have time, just think over it carefully.

tetra_pakk
02-01-2013, 10:14 AM

My my, how wrong you are! I'm a soci major doing a second major in psych, and I can safely tell you, they are like chalk and cheese. Psych tends to be alot more fact-based, and black-and-white. Right is right, wrong is wrong. There can be MCQ tests, but you can't have that for soci. There are no right or wrong answers for soci (except the stats modules), it all depends on application and argument.

For soci, it's readings - mostly articles, some textbook or book chapters. For psych, it's always a textbook chapter or two. I spend a lot more time on my soci readings than psych textbook chapters.

I agree with everyone above - once you've decided, there's no turning back. Sometimes I regret choosing a double major, but I can't change it - took too many psych modules already. It'll only be a waste to change. But normally I find it helpful to have knowledge of both. (:

worm
02-02-2013, 12:29 AM
My my, how wrong you are! I'm a soci major doing a second major in psych, and I can safely tell you, they are like chalk and cheese. Psych tends to be alot more fact-based, and black-and-white. Right is right, wrong is wrong. There can be MCQ tests, but you can have that for soci. There are no right or wrong answers for soci (except that stats modules), it all depends on application and argument.

For soci, it's readings - mostly articles, some textbook or book chapters. For psych, it's always a textbook chapter or two. I spend a lot more time on my soci readings than psych textbook chapters.

I agree with everyone above - once you've decided, there's no turning back. Sometimes I regret choosing a double major, but I can't change it - took too many psych modules already. It'll only be a waste to change. But normally I find it helpful to have knowledge of both. (:

Oh you won't regret it during graduation ceremony, that I'm certain :D

charis135
03-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Hi, I attained the following grades for my A levels.

H1
GP: B
PW: B
Math: A

H2
English Literature: A
Economics: C
Geography: C

What would be my chances of getting into FASS in NUS?

Alternative
03-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Hi, I attained the following grades for my A levels.

H1

H2
English Literature: A
Economics: C
Geography: C

What would be my chances of getting into FASS in NUS?

Last year's UAS for admissions was 76.25. Your UAS is 77.5.

Most likely in.

vasxx
03-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Hi, as NUS does not release the individual grade profiles for each major in FASS, I was wondering if entry into Psychology is competitive? What are my chances with the grades below?

H2
Bio: A
Chem: A
Econs: D

H1
MTL: A

Thanks in advance!

Malefucius
03-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Hi, as NUS does not release the individual grade profiles for each major in FASS, I was wondering if entry into Psychology is competitive? What are my chances with the grades below?

H2
Bio: A
Chem: A
Econs: D

H1
MTL: A

Thanks in advance!

Hey FASS students choose their major only after they become students so there's no IGP by major in FASS. The important thing is being able to enter FASS in the first place, from the looks of your results, you're probably should be able to get in. But once you're in, how hard you're willing to work towards a psychology major will be a different story.

hsumyat
03-03-2013, 11:59 PM
What are the chances of getting into NUS Fass with my results?

H2
Maths -B
Chem -B
Phy - B
Econs - B

H1
GP - B
Pw - A

Thank you!:)

vasxx
03-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Hey FASS students choose their major only after they become students so there's no IGP by major in FASS. The important thing is being able to enter FASS in the first place, from the looks of your results, you're probably should be able to get in. But once you're in, how hard you're willing to work towards a psychology major will be a different story.

I see, thanks for clearing my doubts! And yes, I will work hard for it :)

Neclawn
03-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Hello, do I stand a decent chance of entering NUS FASS with these results?

H2 Math (C), Phy (B), Chem (A)
H1 Econ (C), GP (B), PW (A)
UAS: 78.75

Also, is it true that the NUS application process involves an essay-writing segment for entry to FASS?

Some enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

jessica.c
03-05-2013, 09:06 PM
hey i'm not sure if anyone has asked this before. but i'm still really confused as to how the declaring of a major works.
i'm pretty interested in majoring in psychology, so i was wondering if there is any kind soul out there who can just roughly list how i could go about doing it after entering FASS.

or is it nothing much to worry about, and i shld just go for orientation camps and listen to the seniors? :P heh.

anteloped
03-06-2013, 12:58 AM
Hello, do I stand a decent chance of entering NUS FASS with these results?

H2 Math (C), Phy (B), Chem (A)
H1 Econ (C), GP (B), PW (A)
UAS: 78.75

Also, is it true that the NUS application process involves an essay-writing segment for entry to FASS?

Some enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Hi, I can't remember if there's an essay writing segment in the application form. But anyway, what do you intend to major in when you enter FASS? To be honest, (unless you take econs) if you have no confidence in your essay writing abilities, you might end up struggling because we do a lot of essay writing anyway. So if you're gonna worry about this bit, please be prepared to worry a lot more once you enter!

And yes, I think you stand a good chance of entering since your UAS is above last year's cut off.

Jessica.c: Hello, just enter FASS and take the intro module to psych (you don't need to worry about bidding really). I can't rmb if you have to get at least C+ and above or smth, but anyway it shouldn't be a problem if you study. Then at the end of the semester, there will be a major/minor declaration exercise where you can put psych as your major.

tetra_pakk
03-06-2013, 07:43 PM
hey i'm not sure if anyone has asked this before. but i'm still really confused as to how the declaring of a major works.
i'm pretty interested in majoring in psychology, so i was wondering if there is any kind soul out there who can just roughly list how i could go about doing it after entering FASS.

or is it nothing much to worry about, and i shld just go for orientation camps and listen to the seniors? :P heh.

Take PL1101E in Sem 1. If I remember correctly, you need a B+. Then take PL2131 (a stats and research module) in Sem 2. Get B+. Declare at the end of Year 1.

Your "interest" might wane after 1101. It really isn't as cool and exciting as you might imagine it is. Just saying.

jessica.c
03-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Jessica.c: Hello, just enter FASS and take the intro module to psych (you don't need to worry about bidding really). I can't rmb if you have to get at least C+ and above or smth, but anyway it shouldn't be a problem if you study. Then at the end of the semester, there will be a major/minor declaration exercise where you can put psych as your major.
Thank you for that. But what was it about having to take other intro modules too? Will those affect the actual declaration?

Take PL1101E in Sem 1. If I remember correctly, you need a B+. Then take PL2131 (a stats and research module) in Sem 2. Get B+. Declare at the end of Year 1.

Your "interest" might wane after 1101. It really isn't as cool and exciting as you might imagine it is. Just saying.
That bad? I'm actually in it for the end I guess. Interest and not because I think it's cool or exciting. Hope it helps to get me through.
Did you take it?

Neclawn
03-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Hi, I can't remember if there's an essay writing segment in the application form. But anyway, what do you intend to major in when you enter FASS? To be honest, (unless you take econs) if you have no confidence in your essay writing abilities, you might end up struggling because we do a lot of essay writing anyway. So if you're gonna worry about this bit, please be prepared to worry a lot more once you enter!

And yes, I think you stand a good chance of entering since your UAS is above last year's cut off.

I am probably going for either Economics/English/Psychology/Sociology. Thank you for the response and advice.

savethewow
03-07-2013, 04:33 PM

It happens to many, many people. Not just for psych.
That's why I say it is a good choice to choose NUS FASS instead of NTU, since FASS gives you the option of "trying" things out before declaring your major. Most A-level grads don't have a good enough understanding of the different fields to make a decision on what to major in.

jessica.c
03-07-2013, 08:19 PM
That's why I say it is a good choice to choose NUS FASS instead of NTU, since FASS gives you the option of "trying" things out before declaring your major. Most A-level grads don't have a good enough understanding of the different fields to make a decision on what to major in.

I am considering NTU because it seems to have a more directed path. But generally, both courses are the same right? Just that in NUS, the first sem is spent trying the other intro mods too?

pokkaGT
03-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Generally, yes.

I'm not sure if this is significant to you but for NUS, the honours thesis is optional. For NTU, the graduation project is compulsory.

Source:
http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/undergrad/toknow/academic_requirements/single_major.html
http://psychology.hss.ntu.edu.sg/Programmes/Undergraduate/Pages/MajorinPsychology.aspx

savethewow
03-07-2013, 09:59 PM
I am considering NTU because it seems to have a more directed path. But generally, both courses are the same right? Just that in NUS, the first sem is spent trying the other intro mods too?

Why do you say it is a more directed path?
IMO, nus provides much more academic/non-acad opportunities than NTU.
And fass has a much wider range of modules and has a much better international reputation.

Davy Jones
03-08-2013, 12:09 AM

Nope, you just need a minimum B- for both PL1101E and PL2131 in order to major in psych.:) And actually in my honest opinion, I felt that 1101 wasn't a totally good representation of how interesting psych is. I didn't really enjoy 1101, but really enjoyed the level3000 mods of psych(:

LunaWolf
03-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Hullo! :D I'm new to this forum, and am a prospective NUS-FASS student. Coming fresh out of the structured life of JC, I'm pretty overwhelmed and confused by how universities work. So, I hope some experienced seniors can come to my rescue! :p

Having scored H2 ECON, GEO, LIT: AAA H1 GP, PW, PHY: BBC, I am eligible to declare my major upon entry into the faculty. I intend to major primarily in Geography, and also plan to do a second major. However, I'm conflicted between choosing either Economics or Sociology. Although I scored A for H2 Econs, I have no mathematical background in A levels. Not only did I not take H1/H2 Math, but for O levels I also did not take A-Math and scored only C5 for E-Math. :o As such, my inclinations lie more toward writing than calculation.

Might the level and nature of math in economics, then, be too much for me to handle?
How far is economics calculation based, and not writing based, and to what extent can I avoid such mathematical economic modules?
Is it possible to take only 4 modules per semester so that I can cope with, and maintain the CAP for my second major in economics?
Would my struggling with my second major pull down the grades of my primary major? (Is the computation of CAP for my geography major seperate from my second major in economics?)
Would it thus be more advisable for me to take sociology, given that I am stronger in essay writing? (Although, practically, the career prospects of economics definitely trump that of sociology...?)
When do I declare my second major? (Am I able to do so immediately given that I scored 3 H2 As? Or do I think about it, take exposure modules and then declare in later semesters?)
Lastly, would it be a superhuman feat to do a double major with USP?

I apologise for the deluge of questions! >_< Help is much appreciated.

savethewow
03-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Might the level and nature of math in economics, then, be too much for me to handle?
Yes.

How far is economics calculation based, and not writing based, and to what extent can I avoid such mathematical economic modules?
Economics at uni-level is very math intense. Impossible to avoid.

Would it thus be more advisable for me to take sociology, given that I am stronger in essay writing? (Although, practically, the career prospects of economics definitely trump that of sociology...?)
Yes, please save yourself from the grief and just take sociology. The career prospects of someone with As in sociology is much better than someone with Bs in econs.

jessica.c
03-08-2013, 08:45 PM

I see. I'm still undecided between the 2. I'll take your opinion into consideration. Thank you. :)
(Since I'm an A level grad)

Darkzion
03-09-2013, 01:21 AM
Hullo! :D I'm new to this forum, and am a prospective NUS-FASS student. Coming fresh out of the structured life of JC, I'm pretty overwhelmed and confused by how universities work. So, I hope some experienced seniors can come to my rescue! :p

Having scored H2 ECON, GEO, LIT: AAA H1 GP, PW, PHY: BBC, I am eligible to declare my major upon entry into the faculty. I intend to major primarily in Geography, and also plan to do a second major. However, I'm conflicted between choosing either Economics or Sociology. Although I scored A for H2 Econs, I have no mathematical background in A levels. Not only did I not take H1/H2 Math, but for O levels I also did not take A-Math and scored only C5 for E-Math. :o As such, my inclinations lie more toward writing than calculation.

Is it possible to take only 4 modules per semester so that I can cope with, and maintain the CAP for my second major in economics?
Would my struggling with my second major pull down the grades of my primary major? (Is the computation of CAP for my geography major seperate from my second major in economics?)
When do I declare my second major? (Am I able to do so immediately given that I scored 3 H2 As? Or do I think about it, take exposure modules and then declare in later semesters?)
Lastly, would it be a superhuman feat to do a double major with USP?

1. Yes.
2. There are a few essential mods which are purely mathematical/statistical... and i believe almost all lvl2000 mods onwards will involve varying degree of maths.
3. you can, but u will probably take a longer time to graduate.. maybe 5 years instead of 4.
4. yes. all mods that u take will be computed together into a single CAP.
5. yes. econs does not necessary trump in terms of career prospect.. there are alot of FASS students doing econs major (and not to forget those from the other 2 uni).. if u had a lousy grade, you will nvr stand out among ur peers.
6. They will send email asking for applications, if not you can always try to google for it.. im pretty sure such information are available.
7. depends on ur capability.. i have seen some ppl doing extraordinary things.... but of course, such ppl are extremely rare.

tetra_pakk
03-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Nope, you just need a minimum B- for both PL1101E and PL2131 in order to major in psych.:) And actually in my honest opinion, I felt that 1101 wasn't a totally good representation of how interesting psych is. I didn't really enjoy 1101, but really enjoyed the level3000 mods of psych(:

Hahaha I don't even remember how 1101 was like. But I liked the level 3000 modules to varying degrees, mostly depending on the lecturer. :p 3232 was my favorite, and the least favorite, without a doubt, is 3233. :/ It was T.E.R.R.I.B.L.E (not the lecturer, it's the content).

tetra_pakk
03-09-2013, 09:32 AM

LIST=1]
[/LIST]

Probably so, but you really must be prepared to write a lot for SC modules. By "a lot", I mean about 1000-1500 words for the essays for lower level modules, and upwards of 2000-2500 for the higher level ones. Personally, I believe you should go for interest. Do you like either EC or SC enough to take on a career relevant to it. Given that you're thinking of taking GE as your primary major, I believe that SC is a better complement when it comes to human geog.

With all due respect to other majors, I find SC an extremely enlightening one. I have never regretted being a soci major. (: I think if you take a double major, ideally, they should be complementary. My second major is psych.

You can declare it at the end of Year 1, they send out an email about it and you apply online.

And "Having scored H2 ECON, GEO, LIT: AAA H1 GP, PW, PHY: BBC, I am eligible to declare my major upon entry into the faculty. "? No, you can't. What they mean is, you can get the exposure module of your intended major for 1 point without having to go through bidding. Like you, I thought so too in Year 1 before I came in (got straight As), but I was wrong. Just saying. Don't get your Hobbes up. NUS is good at Durkheim of language that misleads people. Machiavelli sincere apologies if you feel cheated.

jessica.c
03-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Why do you say it is a more directed path?
IMO, nus provides much more academic/non-acad opportunities than NTU.
And fass has a much wider range of modules and has a much better international reputation.

well it seems NTU has a straight honours, and you are able to declare major immediately. i don't know. a skewed perception i guess. but probably at the end of the day, i would choose FASS? the reputation is not of importance to me. heh.

jessica.c
03-10-2013, 08:27 PM
And "Having scored H2 ECON, GEO, LIT: AAA H1 GP, PW, PHY: BBC, I am eligible to declare my major upon entry into the faculty. "? No, you can't. What they mean is, you can get the exposure module of your intended major for 1 point without having to go through bidding. Like you, I thought so too in Year 1 before I came in (got straight As), but I was wrong. Just saying. Don't get your Hobbes up. NUS is good at Durkheim of language that misleads people. Machiavelli sincere apologies if you feel cheated.

what do you mean "for 1 point"? does that mean you have to indicate an interest in that major first?

LunaWolf
03-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the replies, savethewow, Darkzion and tetra_pakk.
7. depends on ur capability.. i have seen some ppl doing extraordinary things.... but of course, such ppl are extremely rare.

But technically, the USP substitutes the ULR? So isn't the workload of a student under USP supposed to be about the same as a non-USP student? Or is there more to what they say?

LunaWolf
03-10-2013, 09:44 PM

Hmm... If that's how it works, can I then indicate my intended major as Economics just so that I can get the highly demanded Economics exposure module at an "offer rate"? Then bid normally at "market rate" for the less expensive Geography and Sociology, and still double major in them in the end? Makes the most out of my bidding points that way.

Also, I'm interested in taking Geography, Economics, Sociology, and Psychology exposure modules. But since they are all in the same Social Sciences basket, does that mean I would be taking more modules than necessary? :/ Should I then give some of them up in order not to waste my time?

anteloped
03-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Hmm... If that's how it works, can I then indicate my intended major as Economics just so that I can get the highly demanded Economics exposure module at an "offer rate"? Then bid normally at "market rate" for the less expensive Geography and Sociology, and still double major in them in the end? Makes the most out of my bidding points that way.

Also, I'm interested in taking Geography, Economics, Sociology, and Psychology exposure modules. But since they are all in the same Social Sciences basket, does that mean I would be taking more modules than necessary? :/ Should I then give some of them up in order not to waste my time?

You probably won't be able to take all of them at once. Econs, Soci and Psych are very popular modules, so maybe you'll only get to take 2 of them in the first sem. But don't worry, you can always take the others in y1s2.. Unless you get to bid for econs at 1 point (not sure how that one works).

Also, you have to take 1 other module other than your intended major to fill up the basket. Meaning, if you major in econs (soc sci), you have to take another soc sci module to fill it up.

woonweiseng
03-11-2013, 12:24 AM

Hi! Yes indeed you can strategize by telling them to give you at 1 point expensive modules - which is what I did back then when I asked for Southeast Asian Studies.

If you do excess Social Sciences exposure modules, you can put them as an Unrestricted Elective (but if you want to double-major, you should check if you have any Unrestricted Electives to fulfil). You may not want to do them all in the first semester (because it will be costly for your bidding) so for those that you are taking out of interest / for fun you could do them later on in your academic career.

tetra_pakk
03-11-2013, 07:53 PM
To add on to woonweiseng,

If you're doing a double major, there is no need for UEs. However, you have to do an additional exposure module from the basket of your second major. For me, since both the majors are social sciences (sociology and psychology), I have to take 4 social science 1101 modules (took political science and geography). Then you also have to take one from each of the other two baskets too - I took the 1101s for history (humanities) and Southeast Asian Studies (Asian studies).

I must say that the thing about doing a double major is that you cannot/don't have to do UEs (which can be fun), and you have to take around 12 modules for your second major, which can be a pain if there isn't much of a choice anyway.

I remember though in Y1S1, I got each of my 1101s (SC, PL, PS, GE and HY) for 1 point each. I must have done something right. Can't remember what I did though haha. Oh, and I actually came in wanting to do PL as my main major and SC as the second. But I changed my mind in Year 2. (Long story, but basically I couldn't declare psych first so I declared soci, and ended up liking that better). So yeah, things might change. You never know.

justasham
03-19-2013, 03:31 PM
I apologise in advance if the questions I'm going to ask have appeared before.
I heard that Econs and Psychology are the most popular majors in FASS. Is there a limit to the number of Econs major students? If so, how do they select? If it is by CAP, what is the minimum CAP needed to major in Econs?
If not, does that mean that I will get to major in Econs as long as I indicate my choice, no matter what my CAP is?

Hope that FASS students (preferably 2nd year onwards) can clarify my doubts.

Last but not least, will I struggle if I go to FASS and plan to major in Econs?
H1 GP: C
H1 Econs: A
H2 Maths: B

I am most worried about the writing part, especially 1st year modules. :(

savethewow
03-19-2013, 09:15 PM
If not, does that mean that I will get to major in Econs as long as I indicate my choice, no matter what my CAP is?

you just need to take the exposure module before declaring it as a major. simple as that. if you can't even handle the exposure module, you really are not fit to major in econs.

I've never ever heard of anyone in FASS not getting the major of their choice.

bumblebee1994
03-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Hi!
I'm a Singapore PR with an international qualification (Cambridge International Examinations GCE O levels, AS levels and will be appearing for A levels in June)

I scored 6A*s and 5As in my O level exams.
My AS level grades are:
Literature A
Economics A
History A
Mathematics B
Will appear for the General Paper in June.

What are my prospects of getting into NUS FASS with a History+Economics major?

havok_ex
03-20-2013, 08:26 PM
I assume you wont be taking the Singapore-Cambridge A-levels but the Cambridge version instead. In that case, its pretty hard to judge since it is rare for people to apply with those qualifications, hence, it would be difficult for anybody here to say if your chances are good or not.

hellogoodbye
04-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Hello!

I wanted to ask, if I enter FASS and wish to major in Econs, how do I go about choosing my modules in Year 1? I don't really understand the bidding system, do we only have to take the exposure modules in Y1 to be able to major in that, then with the rest of our credits we can take any other modules we want?

Also, we can take up a DDP or second major if we do well at the end of Y1 right? How well must we do, roughly? Must we get an A average for all of the assignments/exams to be considered for the DDP/2nd major?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a bit confused.
Thanks! :)

rhulair
04-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Hello!

I wanted to ask, if I enter FASS and wish to major in Econs, how do I go about choosing my modules in Year 1? I don't really understand the bidding system, do we only have to take the exposure modules in Y1 to be able to major in that, then with the rest of our credits we can take any other modules we want?

Also, we can take up a DDP or second major if we do well at the end of Y1 right? How well must we do, roughly? Must we get an A average for all of the assignments/exams to be considered for the DDP/2nd major?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a bit confused.
Thanks! :)

What I understand is that you'll have to bid for the exposure module first. After passing it (not sure if there's a minimum grade, perhaps a B?), you can declare your major. You can only start bidding for your Econs mods in Sem 2, if I'm not wrong. Sem 1 strictly exposure mods only.

They aren't that crazy! Hahaha. Check this out:
Double Degree http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/undergrad/toknow/academic_requirements/double_degree.html#2.

Double Major http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/undergrad/toknow/academic_requirements/double_majors.html

All are subject to approval by the school.

hellogoodbye
04-06-2013, 01:49 PM
What I understand is that you'll have to bid for the exposure module first. After passing it (not sure if there's a minimum grade, perhaps a B?), you can declare your major. You can only start bidding for your Econs mods in Sem 2, if I'm not wrong. Sem 1 strictly exposure mods only.

They aren't that crazy! Hahaha. Check this out:
Double Degree http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/undergrad/toknow/academic_requirements/double_degree.html#2.

Double Major http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/undergrad/toknow/academic_requirements/double_majors.html

All are subject to approval by the school.

Thanks so much for the info, it really helped to clear some of my doubts! I was quite confused about what CAP is, but I was reading up and I think I need at least a B+ average to even be considered! Honestly speaking, is it very hard to get a B+ or A- in university? Like as compared to JC, is the difficulty many times higher? (I'm guessing it is!)

rhulair
04-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Thanks so much for the info, it really helped to clear some of my doubts! I was quite confused about what CAP is, but I was reading up and I think I need at least a B+ average to even be considered! Honestly speaking, is it very hard to get a B+ or A- in university? Like as compared to JC, is the difficulty many times higher? (I'm guessing it is!)

No problem! I have no idea since I will only matriculate into whichever university 2 years later. But from my sibling's advice, in order to maintain a good CAP/GPA, you will have to consistently study.

What I understand from this is not that you need to mug day in and day out. My personal experience in JC is just to actively participate in tutorials, always be attentive even if there are going to be audio/video recordings because I'd rather clear my doubts on the spot than try to find the lecturer on another day. Be proactive in learning. Most importantly, maintain a social life so that you get to enjoy school (and thus enjoy studying together) but learn to say NO.

Darkzion
04-06-2013, 03:11 PM

Quoting a math prof:

u may be the best runner in ur country, but when u r competing against the best around the world in Olympics, you can still end up in the last place.

hohoho07
04-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Hello, may I know if anyone been offered and accepted NUS FASS? :)

charis135
04-18-2013, 06:36 AM
I just got my offer on 12 April. 77.5 rank points. :)

JJLing
04-18-2013, 02:45 PM
The cutoff of FASS should be 76.25 this year..If you got below 76.25,you are not likely to be offered a place.I was rejected with a rank point of 75 plus MTL which raises it to about 75.5.

aspire
04-18-2013, 03:29 PM
The cutoff of FASS should be 76.25 this year..If you got below 76.25,you are not likely to be offered a place.I was rejected with a rank point of 75 plus MTL which raises it to about 75.5.

This means bad news for me. I have exactly the same UAS as you, 75+ MT grade B which = about 75.5 UAS.

I have been hopeful, because i thought that my additional points from MT would give me a slight edge.

Although i havent received the rejection letter yet, i guess i should brace myself for it.

04-18-2013, 11:33 PM
This means bad news for me. I have exactly the same UAS as you, 75+ MT grade B which = about 75.5 UAS.

I have been hopeful, because i thought that my additional points from MT would give me a slight edge.

Although i havent received the rejection letter yet, i guess i should brace myself for it.

I got accepted by FASS 12 Apr as well but my UAS was only 75. (: Good luck! Did you put it as first choice?

aspire
04-19-2013, 10:42 AM
I got accepted by FASS 12 Apr as well but my UAS was only 75. (: Good luck! Did you put it as first choice?

Really?!! wow thank you for your response!. Your words are such a relief. I have been very panicky and anxious lately. But are you sure your UAS is 75 and not 76.25 because that would be the case if your MT got an A grade?

Yup, FASS is my first and only choice! :)

JJLing
04-19-2013, 11:29 AM

Congrats! :)

04-19-2013, 12:53 PM
I'm not so sure about the MT grades because I didn't take A level MT. According to what I've read in the forums, MT grades are not counted into the UAS unless you're opting for a course related to MT. I think what's important for FASS is GP! How did you do for GP? (:

And I also read somewhere that they take your O level (or sec4 IP) grades into consideration tooooo. But I don't really know how true this is.

FASS was my first and only choice too HAHA the entire application form was like so empty.

JJLing, thanks and good luck to you as well! (:

hohoho07
04-19-2013, 01:29 PM
congrats and hi faculty mates :) what are y'all planning to major in?

Altalley
04-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Aspire, what are your exact grades? Your exact grades may matter more than your UAS (:

098, congratulations on your acceptance! May I know your exact grades as well?

Joy
04-20-2013, 07:54 PM
anyone got 76.25 uas or above and have not gotten their letter of acceptance yet? :/ i got gp B as well... from this forum, its seems 75 is the cut off this year? ***cross fingers****

alexiswu
04-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Don't worry you all! I too have gotten 76.25 and got accepted more than a week ago :) perhaps you handed your application late?

04-20-2013, 10:07 PM
alsooooo bear in mind the new yale-nus liberal arts college! less competition for us teehee.

jessica.c
04-20-2013, 11:01 PM
congrats and hi faculty mates :) what are y'all planning to major in?

ello! :) i'm planning to major in psych. how about you?

Joy
04-21-2013, 08:31 AM
i submitted on 28th march...