PDA

View Full Version : NUS Faculty of Business

Pages : [1] 2

twentythree
05-15-2009, 12:51 AM
I am in my sophomore, going into my junior year, previously was from another local university before making the leap of faith and joining nus bschool. Just wana share my thoughts and my experience i was so blessed with and answer any questions you guys and girls might have.

5 modules, usually 5 group and/or individual projects, they can range from individual industrial journal based research projects or group projects that culminates in your presentation and report. over 16 hours of classes a week usually or more if ya in the usp program, which hones your critical and analytical abilities. lectures are only for foundation, level 1000 modules, but the beauty is that at times we have extremely brilliant faculty members sharing with all 300 rather than just limiting it to 40. its not cost effective to hire 10 equals to do it seminar style especially when it is more effective doing foundation modules lecture styled. Subsequently more close quarters interaction is done at tutorials. Level 3000 or higher level modules are taught seminar style in every world class bschool, including all 3 of our local ones. its not the easiest program in singapore, you have to take the longest to graduate with honors, you have to take the most electives, core modules and the workload is without doubt different in scope and scale. even our accountancy program is almost like a double degree in a single program. so why so tough? its training you to be up for it in the real world, not almost, but ready to hit the ground running and get the experience clocked in. the most fabled ivy leagues, bschools in eu and us have similar rigor and they dont shorten their programs or remove items, they demand the very best because everyone, nus, berkeley, oxbridge, wharton all have a reputation to uphold. heck the employers recognise the value of a nus degree, honors or not, when the non-honors students can get paid more and more get employed full time than their peers who might have honors from other programs. So reputation, rigor and intensity, definitely check.

internships wise, the bschool's fabled career services office whips the freshmen into shape as they go through their 3-4 years, from dress sense to speech to interview techniques and assessment centres (similar to what you guys who went through the nus bschool scholarship interviews) i myself was privileged to have been with nike singapore and south east asia at the advertising and digital marketing division. Yes i met the national team footballers, australian team when they were her, celebrities. Beyond that as an intern i was given the responsibility to come up with my very own project and campaign. over 1,500 freshmen were in the program and found out first hand what nike is all about.

I also spent summer in Beijing, China at a leading investment bank and private equity firm on an approximately half a billi listing in the ecm division. doing research, due diligence work on deals and actual due diligence at sites. The experience of meeting the ministry party secretary and business titans in beijing was priceless as you would imagine. All these with the support and guidance from our career services office. career development - check

well all that curricula and no fun makes life a bore arnt it. But hang on, i was also elected as the project director of a freshman orientation camp in bschool, over 100 organizing team members, 200 freshmen, BlackBerry, Nike, L'Oreal, Reds and couple other organizations as the camp's sponsors and partners, it was something truly unforgettable for those in the class of 2008. The best part was, during the pre-camp briefing we had joanne peh coming over to school for as part of the nike orientation around campus. The finale saw everyone enjoying themselves at timbre at the arts house. yes all these by students. - school life, definitely check, even the calibre and scale and prestige of their student government is unparalleled from what my other peers tell me.

Hang on, there is still somemore indelible experiences that nus bschool has afforded me. very importantly, upholding our school's fabled history and reputation as the very best case school from singapore, seniors preceding us has won numerous events from usc marshall, copenhagen, hong kong science and technology, mcgill, the fabled L'Oreal local and international champions. together with a team of 3 other school mates, with zero international experience but rigorous training by our mentor and excellent faculty advisor, we came in 2nd in mcgill in 2009 <www.mmicc.org/2009> the weekends spent and the time preparing was immensely worth it in the end. It sort of shocked us that all the power house bschools (haas, marshall, copenhagen, auckland, mcgill etc.) all are wary of the reputation and calibre of nus teams, which is typical and very normal considering the mcgill teams coming here have placed or won 5 out of 9 times in the history of the competition! It was truly an eye opener and made me realise how we singaporeans tend to put ourselves down and we fail to see our strengths and how we are really, not very different from the rest. - more international exposure, check.

so lastly, one of the most dynamic and demanding projects undertaken was something completely voluntary and selected for the very best. In collaboration with KPMG and The Business Times, nus bschool was the only exclusive partner who sent out teams of 3-4 students to Singapore's top 50 SMEs across various sectors to conduct research, diagnostic consulting and subsequently come back with their findings and research to do a presentation to the ceo/director of the company. i could clearly remember working on the project on the flight on my way to canada in that same semester, the sheer amount of work put in to ensuring our research are not just academic and works on paper only. it has got to be accurate, real and reflective of the organization. fluff, what fluff? any crap that is acceptable else where obviously cannot hold water in the real world. beyond academics it was the real world, not just preparing for it, but already doing it and trying to do it to the best of our abilities. - not just preparing for the real world, but already in the midst of the real world - check

4 semesters on, despite being a year behind my peers, to quote green day, "yes thank you, i really am having the time of my life"

- its not where that makes you the next person who makes an impact, its how much you want to make that impact.

sparkestarx
05-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Thank you for sharing your experience @ NUS Business school! I was hoping a senior Initially, I was strewn between 2 uni choices. But now, I am more certain of which uni offer to accept. :)

jellybean
05-15-2009, 09:55 AM
hmm...but not everyone would get to experience those exchange programmes or internships or special project stuffs am i right to say? its good to hear that life in nus bschool is so vibrant for SELECTED individuals. but actually im interested to know how life in nus bschool is for the average person who may not be as fortunate to go through such experiences...i mean im sure we all have heard how exciting all those opportunities are (that is if you get to go for them)...you get what i mean? and also im curious to know what are the not-so interesting parts of life in nus biz, just so i can get a more balanced picture of the situation and not rush into nus biz expecting all this hype coming my way just to be disappointed... hope you understand where im coming from!

no0b1
05-15-2009, 11:08 AM
hmm...but not everyone would get to experience those exchange programmes or internships or special project stuffs am i right to say? its good to hear that life in nus bschool is so vibrant for SELECTED individuals. but actually im interested to know how life in nus bschool is for the average person who may not be as fortunate to go through such experiences...i mean im sure we all have heard how exciting all those opportunities are (that is if you get to go for them)...you get what i mean? and also im curious to know what are the not-so interesting parts of life in nus biz, just so i can get a more balanced picture of the situation and not rush into nus biz expecting all this hype coming my way just to be disappointed... hope you understand where im coming from!

I get what you mean too.;) I would also like to know more about NUS Bschool from a layman's perspective. True, there are many OPPORTUNITIES present which develop students. Yet, opportunities remain as they are, opportunities. Not everyone can have them all, or any at all, for that matter.(Analogy: every lottery buyer has various opportunities to win various prizes, yet not all will win prizes.) Thus, it would be most enlightening if we could have another perspective at NUS Bschool, NOT that I'm doubting twentythree's account. Not everyone can be as outstanding as twentythree. What of the untold struggles that are encountered by average students? I would be helpful if someone could step up to give us a rough idea of the challenges that might present themselves. Thanks:)

Did anyone attend the Master class conducted by NUS Biz School? How was it like?

jellybean
05-15-2009, 11:21 AM
i went for the nus biz masterclass. they just assigned us a group and each group went for a different "lecture" simulation class, my group went for Operations Management class. basically, the prof just gave an introductory lecture abt the topic and engaged the group in discussions/interactions...its actually quite similar to tutorials/lectures in jc. then there was a luncheon after that (food was DAMN good), where we get to ask individual profs/ deans/ current undergrads questions and learn more abt nus biz life and stuff. yup

no0b1
05-15-2009, 11:27 AM
i went for the nus biz masterclass. they just assigned us a group and each group went for a different "lecture" simulation class, my group went for Operations Management class. basically, the prof just gave an introductory lecture abt the topic and engaged the group in discussions/interactions...its actually quite similar to tutorials/lectures in jc. then there was a luncheon after that (food was DAMN good), where we get to ask individual profs/ deans/ current undergrads questions and learn more abt nus biz life and stuff. yup

Thanks:) I now regret not having went...:( Now, I've no clue if acc is suited for me...:confused:

jellybean
05-15-2009, 11:34 AM
i think there's only so much information you can get from websites/asking profs, to really know if you're suited for a course i guess you will really need to experience it yourself first before coming to a conclusion. so just go for acc and see how lor. but im sure you have some basic idea about what acc is about right, to have chosen acc as ur preferred course. anyway, nus biz ad (acc) is kind of flexible because at the end of it you can choose to graduate with a biz ad degree OR a biz ad (acc) degree. :)

sparkestarx
05-15-2009, 11:47 AM

I went for NUS BBA masterclass too. Business Policy introductory seminar. Hmm I agree with jellybean. I would certainly like to find out more about the mundance aspects of an average nus biz student's day! It would sound more realistic :)

no0b1
05-15-2009, 11:49 AM
i think there's only so much information you can get from websites/asking profs, to really know if you're suited for a course i guess you will really need to experience it yourself first before coming to a conclusion. so just go for acc and see how lor. but im sure you have some basic idea about what acc is about right, to have chosen acc as ur preferred course. anyway, nus biz ad (acc) is kind of flexible because at the end of it you can choose to graduate with a biz ad degree OR a biz ad (acc) degree. :)

The masterclass sessions are over, so I can't experience what it's like now.:( I'm a rather introverted person. Based on your experience in the masterclass, Do you think it would be suitable for introverts like me? It's ok, you can be honest, no need to honey coat your opinions.;) Thanks:)

jellybean
05-15-2009, 12:03 PM
oh actually i meant experiencing studying accountancy in ur 1st sem/1st year (i think its possible to switch course if you find u really hate it or something). what i think is that, business students need to speak up and interact, because its a course that expects that from its students, unlike courses like science. its the way to learn the ropes of business because that is exactly what business is about, you learn through hands-on and discussions, not so much of textbook-based theories. with regards to your concerns about being introverted, it would indeed be a barrier to your learning. but then again, its up to you to change that. frankly, im kind of introverted in pri/lower sec, but i decided to speak up more in class and all it took was a first step. you'll have to make that effort to speak up and contribute to discussions in the lecture and once you get the hang of it, i dont think it will be an obstacle to your learning already. its a matter of taking the first step and getting used to it therafter.

seeweiren
05-15-2009, 12:53 PM
the most fabled ivy leagues, bschools in eu and us have similar rigor and they dont shorten their programs or remove items, they demand the very best because everyone, nus, berkeley, oxbridge, wharton all have a reputation to uphold. heck the employers recognise the value of a nus degree, honors or not, when the non-honors students can get paid more and more get employed full time than their peers who might have honors from other programs. So reputation, rigor and intensity, definitely check.

H seniors preceding us has won numerous events from usc marshall, copenhagen, hong kong science and technology, mcgill, the fabled L'Oreal local and international champions. together with a team of 3 other school mates, with zero international experience but rigorous training by our mentor and excellent faculty advisor, we came in 2nd in mcgill in 2009 <www.mmicc.org/2009> the weekends spent and the time preparing was immensely worth it in the end. It sort of shocked us that all the power house bschools (haas, marshall, copenhagen, auckland, mcgill etc.) all are wary of the reputation and calibre of nus teams, which is typical and very normal considering the mcgill teams coming here have placed or won 5 out of 9 times in the history of the competition!

Nice said!!!! NUS Business School is competitive and significant across the world,never doubt the power of local school undergraduates.

SMUgger
05-15-2009, 01:22 PM
anyway, nus biz ad (acc) is kind of flexible because at the end of it you can choose to graduate with a biz ad degree OR a biz ad (acc) degree. :)

I believe it is quite easy for students to switch from acct to biz in NTU and SMU too.

twentythree
05-15-2009, 01:31 PM
hey guys will answer the questions accordingly

1. switching from accountancy to bba or others

yes definitely you can switch, if you switch too late say year 3 sem 1 or 2. you might have to do 6 modules to catch up or thereabouts for just 1 semester. but its uber flexible cause theres quite a fair bit of overlap between the two programs, bba and bac (accounting). so if not, yes surely you can change. works the other way as well if you wana join the bac program. Also its easier to transfer out from business to say arts, science or other faculties (except medicine and dentistry of course) law its doable since most if not all nus bschoolers just about meet nus law school requirements. BUT note that transfers are again merit based and not everyone qualifies cause gpa is taken into account once ya in school, on top of your a levels.

2. masterclass - introverts and class participation

i would say across all 3 bschools, you will be at a disadvantaged if ya an introvert, but heck i was not too vocal before army and army took class part seriously haha so yes bschools can hone and train you up, some have more pressure for you to do so faster due to the higher weight of grades apportioned to it. but if not yeah like i said, its very personal and to excel, anywhere at anything, you will need to voice your opinion and share, be it class discussions or project work or at the workplace during your internship.

3. the average bschooler

exchange is the norm, maybe not the top tier bschools all the time but at least the very respectable ones like manchester, lund, corvinus, connecticut amongst many others.

noc or nus overseas college is grades blind, its more dependent on your apttitute towards enterprise and entrepreneurship. its a one year internship in a tech or various other start ups and a 1 year academic program in either wharton (phili), stanford (silicon valley) tshinghua (beijing, shanghai (fudan), stockholm (kings college), yes bangalore india and soon possibly france or london.

somehow nus bschoolers lead most or are involved in every level of student government, you can be a director of publicity for the faculty club, dive club or the students sports club, the overall university students union or just about any other organization you are keen in. the diversity is there, hundreds of organizational teams, events and programs for you to pick and choose, some more high profile or the other, but the learning experience and leadership skills and other soft skill sets are about the same if not absolutely similar. management is after all management. it simply differs in scope and scale in our level in university.

also of course halls of residences, their management committees or "student council" is very much the same as what you see in the faculty clubs. bschoolers are sitting there on various committees and management positions. not everyone can be leaders, but being a solid worker and follower (not blindly!) also speaks volumes about one's ability or character. nus and bschool provides tons of those opportunities.

4. nus accounting

sorry could you be more specific in what you wana know more about the program!? sorry am in between meetings now, so a bit tough to churn out everything from my head!

5. other more typical stuff

in house bschool interest groups include entrepreneurship centres, chartered financial analyst interest groups, case competition interest groups, AISEC which encourages international development and exposure for students, and countless of others. the options are plenty, they are not exclusive, infact none are except beta gamma sigma!

of course also there are plenty of events you can manage, participate, plan and simply make tons of friends and have fun! in fact even overseas friends and other local unis as well. the bschool business students club have close ties and have or are hosting oxbrige, usc marshall, hongkong unis amongst others. The Club is also involved in singapore's only tri-university business and accounting schools freshman orientation camp! so really i can go on and on, there really are plenty of stuff and options, not everything is exclusive, even case isnt, case competition is based on your presentation and analytical abilities, not just gpa or other exclusive characteristics.

jellybean
05-15-2009, 02:18 PM
I believe it is quite easy for students to switch from acct to biz in NTU and SMU too.
yup, but from what i heard, in NUS BBA (Acc), at the END of the course, you can choose if you want to grad with BBA OR BBA(Acc) degree, without having to make a decision to switch from acc to bba per se in the middle of your studies.

jellybean
05-15-2009, 02:26 PM
twentythree:

thanks for point 3. the average bschooler. :) i understand what you mean. i think its also up to the individual to take the initiative to lead and participate in activities, no matter how small the initiative is because that would be what a biz student should strive to become, a leader in his/her own way.

lavastar
05-15-2009, 06:10 PM

are u in group E on that day?

no0b1
05-15-2009, 07:08 PM
oh actually i meant experiencing studying accountancy in ur 1st sem/1st year (i think its possible to switch course if you find u really hate it or something). what i think is that, business students need to speak up and interact, because its a course that expects that from its students, unlike courses like science. its the way to learn the ropes of business because that is exactly what business is about, you learn through hands-on and discussions, not so much of textbook-based theories. with regards to your concerns about being introverted, it would indeed be a barrier to your learning. but then again, its up to you to change that. frankly, im kind of introverted in pri/lower sec, but i decided to speak up more in class and all it took was a first step. you'll have to make that effort to speak up and contribute to discussions in the lecture and once you get the hang of it, i dont think it will be an obstacle to your learning already. its a matter of taking the first step and getting used to it therafter.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice!:D

faith-ed
05-15-2009, 11:46 PM
twentythree made me very excited bout nus biz. haha. but i wonder will i have tht much opportunities since i will be competing with ppl with all the gd grades.

anyone gg for tea session nx sat, 23rd may ?

twentythree
05-16-2009, 01:14 AM
the welcome tea is for everyone that has been offered but no yet decided. its designed to clear doubts and encourage those of the nus bschool fit to join us ! i guess the school recognizes not everyone is of the nus bschool fit so we dont go all out that desperately. those who have not been offered, that i am not too sure, either they are in the process of sending you the offers or something else i am not privy to.

on a side note, nus bschool has the smallest intake yearly amongst the 3 -- 595 vs 900ish (smu acc + bbm) vs 1200 (ntu accounting + biz) so those who are offered are in very good company.

faith-ed dont worry, seize the opportunities, dont wait or hesitate, learn as much as you can, speak to as many people as you can, enjoy school and i am sure you will reap the rewards of education as those with the initiative would. ;)

thirtyone
05-16-2009, 07:54 AM
the welcome tea is for everyone that has been offered but no yet decided. its designed to clear doubts and encourage those of the nus bschool fit to join us ! i guess the school recognizes not everyone is of the nus bschool fit so we dont go all out that desperately. those who have not been offered, that i am not too sure, either they are in the process of sending you the offers or something else i am not privy to.

on a side note, nus bschool has the smallest intake yearly amongst the 3 -- 595 vs 900ish (smu acc + bbm) vs 1200 (ntu accounting + biz) so those who are offered are in very good company.

faith-ed dont worry, seize the opportunities, dont wait or hesitate, learn as much as you can, speak to as many people as you can, enjoy school and i am sure you will reap the rewards of education as those with the initiative would. ;)

I'm not sure if anyone can help me, but does anyone know how long does nusbiz take to offer biz or accounts if it's not my first choice? that's cos i put med and den as 1st and 2nd choice, but apparently they sent me the invite on wed, which meanas my jae status should have changed, but it didn't. I have friends who have already been accepted, but didn't get the invite at all! Thanks :)

lavastar
05-16-2009, 08:25 AM
twentythree made me very excited bout nus biz. haha. but i wonder will i have tht much opportunities since i will be competing with ppl with all the gd grades.

anyone gg for tea session nx sat, 23rd may ?

i will be going :)

twentythree
05-16-2009, 10:54 AM
hey guys, will get you all a number and email from school by monday so u can check on your status.

jellybean
05-16-2009, 02:07 PM
lavastar: i went for e masterclass on 2nd may and was in CRD group

faith-ed: i havent gotten my offer from nus biz also (because they said they are still processing my ddp) but i got the biz connect invite on 23rd may.

thirtyone
05-16-2009, 05:59 PM
hey guys, will get you all a number and email from school by monday so u can check on your status.

hey i know why i got it already! It's coz i put double deg as one of my options, which is supposedly independent of my single degree choices. :)

ripepumpkin
05-16-2009, 07:34 PM
hmmmm double degree choices are independent of single degree choices?

i didn't get the biz connect invite, hmmm :/

ripepumpkin
05-16-2009, 07:56 PM
haha no! i applied for double degree law and business. and second choice concurrent degree, business and MSc management, single degree business, law and FASS.
I have no news at all -_-" no biz connect invite, so im dunno what i'm going to get into o.O hahaha.

twentythree
05-16-2009, 09:43 PM
hey riped pumpkin no worries, got to hang on for about 1.5 weeks more thereabouts cause of the concurrent and ddp applications are handled separately. see above about me getting more information and contact details for you guys to directly clarify about these matters.

thirtyone, if ya applying for med, im sure your grades will get you somewhere in nus, only a matter of place.

like i mentioned, will find an email for you guys to get an invite for bizconnect if you are really keen on finding out more about bschool.

zleezl
05-18-2009, 09:10 PM
yeah :/ or so I heard, because some people applied both double degree and single degree and they got single degree (medicine). actually, I'm pretty confused too!! :(

Hey. I asked the Dean of NUS Biz after my ddp interview about this qns and she said that only if your first choice single degree is Medicine, Law or Dentistry, and you have passed both the single and double degree selections, you will be offered Medicine/Law/Dentistry because these 3 courses have higher cut off points than ddp. NUS will state that you have also been selected for ddp, and if you decide to pursue the ddp instead of the single one, you have to go through some process.

However, if you chose something else (e.g. Engineering or FASS) as your first choice single degree, NUS will offer you the double degree and NOT the single degree.

So NUS will only give you one place.

twentythree
05-19-2009, 07:26 AM
to dispel any misconceived ideas, best ask directly, email as promised; [email protected]

sunlilo
05-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Whilst in the process of making a decision, I realised that the bidding system in NUS biz school seems somewhat a disadvantage. From what I've read, we are all given a certain number of bid points for our entire undergraduate course, which we will then use to bid for the modules of our choice. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Doesn't this put us at a disadvantage rather than if we were give a choice of a fixed set of modules? The bidding system means that not everyone will get the modules of their choice, which also means we might not be headed in the 'path' of choice within the business course.

twentythree
05-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Whilst in the process of making a decision, I realised that the bidding system in NUS biz school seems somewhat a disadvantage. From what I've read, we are all given a certain number of bid points for our entire undergraduate course, which we will then use to bid for the modules of our choice. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Doesn't this put us at a disadvantage rather than if we were give a choice of a fixed set of modules? The bidding system means that not everyone will get the modules of their choice, which also means we might not be headed in the 'path' of choice within the business course.

hey mate, nus bschool allocates all foundation modules. u will get them for a nominal one point. foundation are compulsory modules, so theres no issue. the remaining modules are used for your;

1. faculty i.e. bschool or major modules, so if you are finance and chemistry, your points you saved through out the 4 semesters you take to clear your foundation modules will give you even more points to bid for chemistry mods than other faculties who do not allocate foundation modules. like arts for example. so you xxx number of points is used for business finance modules and your chemistry major required modules.

2. your electives, like non business modules, things like singapore history, unrestricted i.e. any modules have a separate account. so it doesn affect anything. these modules are usually cheap, unless the v. popular ones like forensic science. if not u have more than enough.

and again everyone who chooses whatever major (finance, marketing or whatever) will get to complete their major of choice, they will never ever be forced not to fulfill their major requiremnets due to this reason.. never ever has it happened. only thing is that students might not always get all their preferred time slots or might do the classes in other semesters instead with all their friends due to very high demand for certain majors like finance. EVERYONE will be able to complete what they want. its modular. its good not a disadvantage. if fixed, if you wana change, you are screwed, you waste time. the modular system helps you re-map the modules u already taken for something you want to drop into another university requirement as much as possible. but of course there are limits.

like i said before, nus minor is not like the other schools who have minimal requirements, 6 modules at least. the nus double major program is double that. so you know you truly know your stuff, not just skimmin the surface..

sunlilo
05-21-2009, 02:26 PM
thanks, that really clarifies alot:)

mrskunda
03-26-2010, 12:06 AM
Hi everyone, i need help here.
Is it true that even if i got into BBA acct i can choose to switch to just BBA (biz) when i enter the course ?
Appreciate help here, thanks :)

TanX
04-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Do we need to go for interview in order to enrol into NUS ACC?

slayercsa
04-15-2010, 09:21 PM
hi. I am one of the freshies here, got a spot 2 years later from now due to NS.

just like to ask about NUS Biz Admin modules. Are there alot of projects in the modules and is there alot of memory work to be done ? Cause I like to do projects and usually tend to study by understanding the concept, although I am fine with memorising.

And also are the percentage of projects large?

EDIT: Do u guys have to find interships for yourself and is it a must?

questionmarks
04-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Anyone who have went for NUS Business scholarship...do you mind sharing the components during the interview and the kind of questions that would be asked...Please help!!!

umaygn
04-23-2010, 02:55 AM
mrskunda: It is possible. I've a friend who has done so :)

TanX: Nope, you don't have to. Interviews are more for special programmes eg double-degrees, concurrent programmes, and discretionary (appeal).

slayercsa: Hi! there are quite a number of projs. memory work is also needed but most of the time we are taught on learning concepts and applying them, rather than merely memorizing what we learn. projects on average weigh about 20-30%. For BBA(Acc), internships are compulsory in year 2 or 3. As for BBA, it is not a must but well, generally everyone will want to at least go for one in the course of uni yeah? And for that, we have to find them ourselves. :)

Shaynikins
04-23-2010, 10:16 AM
I think you all can start checking your online application status for NUS already.

Just checked mine - NUS ACC. :D

slayercsa
04-23-2010, 12:25 PM
hey a question about majoring in nus.

how does this system works? I know NTU is like 2nd year u get to choose ur specialization, but NUS u dont get to choose.

Someone mind briefly explain how u major? Is it like FASS, whereby u have to bid for the require exposure modules and hit a certain requirement. once u reach that requirement, u can declare your major? Is there a scenario whereby one could not get his desired major because of not enough points to bid or get outbidded ?

I not sure if my understanding is correct, someone please rectify me. thanks

umaygn
04-23-2010, 07:05 PM
nope, for nus bba you get to declare your major and you won't have to bid or whatsoever. there is no quota. we currently have 4 types of majors: Management, Marketing, Finance, and Operations/Supply Chain Management. As long as you have completed the 15 foundation modules by the 2nd or 3rd year (usually the 3rd), you will be able to officially declare a major and fulfil the requirements of 4 compulsory higher level mods (within a selected list of a few) of your major.

TanX
04-28-2010, 06:52 PM
I think you all can start checking your online application status for NUS already.

Just checked mine - NUS ACC. :D

Hey!
Mind to tell us ur result?

Shaynikins
04-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Hi TanX,

I'm a poly grad with gpa of 3.92. Dip in Accountancy.

su_et
04-28-2010, 09:53 PM
nope, for nus bba you get to declare your major and you won't have to bid or whatsoever. there is no quota. we currently have 4 types of majors: Management, Marketing, Finance, and Operations/Supply Chain Management. As long as you have completed the 15 foundation modules by the 2nd or 3rd year (usually the 3rd), you will be able to officially declare a major and fulfil the requirements of 4 compulsory higher level mods (within a selected list of a few) of your major.

Hi I would like to have a minor in french. Would that be possible? And in which year would I be able to take a minor? Any requirements?

slayercsa
04-29-2010, 03:34 PM
hiya i read this from nus bba website.

Final-year students in the 3-year BBA programme may apply through CORS to do any level-4000 BBA module, provided:

1. Minimum CAP of 3.6 (out of 5.0) is met.
2. Any prerequisites are met.
3. There are vacancies after BBA(Honours) students had registered for their level-4000 BBA modules.

was kinda confusing. So after 3 years, if our CAP > 3.6, its still not possible for us to get honours if there are no vacancies?

I thought they should have vancancies for all BBA students who met the requirements as all students are initially from BBA until end of third year to see if they are able to do honours?

mli18
04-29-2010, 07:30 PM
hi, i just got an email regarding the nus bba master class. however, biz was my third choice after med and dentistry. while my app status hasnt changed yet, does the fact that i received the bba master class invitation mean that i've been accepted into biz? =// thanks.

slayercsa
04-29-2010, 07:59 PM
hi, i just got an email regarding the nus bba master class. however, biz was my third choice after med and dentistry. while my app status hasnt changed yet, does the fact that i received the bba master class invitation mean that i've been accepted into biz? =// thanks.

wad's bba master class? :confused:

nineteen
04-29-2010, 08:08 PM
hiya i read this from nus bba website.

Final-year students in the 3-year BBA programme may apply through CORS to do any level-4000 BBA module, provided:

1. Minimum CAP of 3.6 (out of 5.0) is met.
2. Any prerequisites are met.
3. There are vacancies after BBA(Honours) students had registered for their level-4000 BBA modules.

was kinda confusing. So after 3 years, if our CAP > 3.6, its still not possible for us to get honours if there are no vacancies?

I thought they should have vancancies for all BBA students who met the requirements as all students are initially from BBA until end of third year to see if they are able to do honours?

when i went for my nus scholarship interview i asked the dean about it. She said there's no cap to the maximum number of students who can get the offer to go into the honours class so it's basically just by merit and grades (:

oh and she said students in year2 can already get offers for the 4th year honours class.
I'm not sure if this is what you asked for but yea thats all i know (:

mli18
04-29-2010, 08:09 PM
wad's bba master class? :confused:

it says something about 'experience the rigor and excitement of being a NUS BBA undergrad. Attend an actual seminar class simulation conducted by our own professors, and get up close and personal with your future mentors and school mates.' on 8th & 15th May. O_o

slayercsa
04-29-2010, 10:38 PM
it says something about 'experience the rigor and excitement of being a NUS BBA undergrad. Attend an actual seminar class simulation conducted by our own professors, and get up close and personal with your future mentors and school mates.' on 8th & 15th May. O_o

o.o

mind if i ask ur grades?

mli18
04-29-2010, 11:45 PM
o.o

mind if i ask ur grades?

A's for everything and a C for gp. =/ UAS of 87.75

SonyWalkman
05-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Hi I would like to have a minor in french. Would that be possible? And in which year would I be able to take a minor? Any requirements?

French is not offered as a minor, though there is a minor in European Studies.
You can take french language modules as unrestricted electives:
http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/cls/lang_fr1.htm

ahpek
05-01-2010, 11:30 PM
well, i got my letter for nus biz!

i am serving ns now, and i was wondering if there is any books or stuff that nus biz use in lessons, cause i am pretty bored in camp and was wondering i can get my hands on some reading material to pass time in my camp:/

if anyone can recommend anything, drop me an pm or leave a message here:)

p.s. i not kiasu or hard-core mugger, its just that i run of out stuff to read in camp...so ls help me out!
________
SIMPLE VAPORIZER (http://vaporizer.org/reviews)

slayercsa
05-03-2010, 05:26 PM
i got an invitation to nus bba masterclass.

anyone going?

artanis
05-04-2010, 12:50 PM
anyone going to the BBA MasterClass?

slayercsa
05-04-2010, 05:00 PM
^ me lor. 15th may

artanis
05-04-2010, 05:34 PM
^ me lor. 15th may

have you been offered a place in the BBA/BBA(acc) programme yet?

slayercsa
05-04-2010, 11:05 PM
^ yes. BBA

mli18
05-05-2010, 04:52 PM
hi, i've just been called up for an interview for the nus bba + public policy ddp even though business was my third choice. the person who called me said that it doesnt mean that i've been rejected from med/dent cos the results of med/dent will only be out in mid may. but dont i need to already be accepted by nus business in order to qualify for the ddp? =// thanks

faith-ed
05-06-2010, 01:29 PM
hi, i've just been called up for an interview for the nus bba + public policy ddp even though business was my third choice. the person who called me said that it doesnt mean that i've been rejected from med/dent cos the results of med/dent will only be out in mid may. but dont i need to already be accepted by nus business in order to qualify for the ddp? =// thanks

hey! oh they are jus offering you, you can don accept, or wait till your other results are out then decide. :)

mli18
05-06-2010, 04:42 PM
hey! oh they are jus offering you, you can don accept, or wait till your other results are out then decide. :)

Hi thanks for your reply. :) does this mean that they really process double degree apps separately from single degree apps? O.o you don't need to be accepted into one of the ddp courses to get shortlisted for ddp? Thanks.

red_devilz
05-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Hi, I would like to know if the BBA masterclass is opened to all. I just recevied an invitation for the NUS BBA Masterclass on 15May but NUS hasn't accepted me yet. Does this mean I will stand of high chance of receiving an acceptance letter?

trustme
05-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Hi, I would like to know if the BBA masterclass is opened to all. I just recevied an invitation for the NUS BBA Masterclass on 15May but NUS hasn't accepted me yet. Does this mean I will stand of high chance of receiving an acceptance letter?

most likely, cos i got my letter and then was invited for this too :)

slayercsa
05-10-2010, 09:21 AM
anyone already went for the masterclass last sat?

How was it like? Mine is this sat.

bluesea
05-10-2010, 09:12 PM
I went for the masterclass last sat. The simulated seminar is similar to the lectures that you took in school, just in a smaller group. For lunch, it's buffet and you will be asked to sit with those people who went for the same seminar as you. Each table has a prof and a few student ambassadors to answer whatever queries you have.

slayercsa
05-10-2010, 10:27 PM
I went for the masterclass last sat. The simulated seminar is similar to the lectures that you took in school, just in a smaller group. For lunch, it's buffet and you will be asked to sit with those people who went for the same seminar as you. Each table has a prof and a few student ambassadors to answer whatever queries you have.

cool. I like to ask the prof some questions. The whole thing ends around wad time? 2+ 3?

red_devilz
05-10-2010, 10:32 PM
cool. I like to ask the prof some questions. The whole thing ends around wad time? 2+ 3?

The invite mentioned 11am-2pm. I got it via an email. How about you ?

This question sounds stupid, but by 'participating' in the seminar lessons, do we just sit by the side and listen, or do we actually participate like we are part of the class?

Floun.Der
05-11-2010, 12:16 AM
hi Twentythree,
jus a qns, r u a USP holder? coz if u r, ther r no doubt more opportunities for u to venture overseas n more projects for u to handle. i jus wan to noe if normal biz students without scholarships hv tt much opportunity if they do well enuff. tho i understand nothing is fair in this world n scholars definitely hv an edge over others, i jux hope nus recognises students who do well in school n provides such opportunities to them as well..

faith-ed
05-11-2010, 01:22 AM
Hi thanks for your reply. :) does this mean that they really process double degree apps separately from single degree apps? O.o you don't need to be accepted into one of the ddp courses to get shortlisted for ddp? Thanks.

ohh i think they process differently ba, since there's an interview to assess the suitability to take ddp. but i guess u can recv 2 offers, but just have to accept 1 in the end? not sure bout it cos nus biz was my only choice lol

faith-ed
05-11-2010, 01:36 AM
hi Twentythree,
jus a qns, r u a USP holder? coz if u r, ther r no doubt more opportunities for u to venture overseas n more projects for u to handle. i jus wan to noe if normal biz students without scholarships hv tt much opportunity if they do well enuff. tho i understand nothing is fair in this world n scholars definitely hv an edge over others, i jux hope nus recognises students who do well in school n provides such opportunities to them as well..

hello! im a "normal biz students without scholarships ". hahaha, i got rejected by the biz scholarship xD

1 thing i must really emphasize is that, uni starts at ground zero, cos ure competing with a new bunch all over again. no guarantee u will continue to do as well ( or as average) as u used to be. so if ur goal in biz sch is to get high CAP, u will most prob be able to do so if u mug thruout. but if your goal is otherwise, for eg, getting experience, u can achieve this by participating in cca, case competitions, going exchange, internships etc.

going exchange is relatively easy.. CAP about 3.3 should be okay, but if u want better uni, will need better CAP then. getting internships may be competitive, but that depends on your interview skills also. case comp will hone your presentation skills and put your knowledge to test, but i think CAP is not VERY correlated to performance in this area. haha

unless ure those damn inactive type and expect ppl to spoon feed u like in jc times, there are bound to be opportunities that you can grab and create changes for yourself (:

trustme
05-11-2010, 12:29 PM
is anyone going alone ( like me) for the NUS Masterclass this sat, the 15th?

red_devilz
05-11-2010, 01:01 PM
is anyone going alone ( like me) for the NUS Masterclass this sat, the 15th?

Yes, I should be heading down alone, afterwhich shall proceed to NBS' tea session at conrad.:)

trustme
05-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Yes, I should be heading down alone, afterwhich shall proceed to NBS' tea session at conrad.:)

oh me too! the NBS one that starts @3pm? haha it'll be a mad rush im so sure of that

bluesea
05-11-2010, 09:35 PM

Yeah it ended before 2.30pm. :)

Hm for the seminar i chose the prof actually asked some of them to answer his questions. Don't worry about not being able to answer as they aren't exactly 'business' questions. ;)

red_devilz
05-11-2010, 09:36 PM
oh me too! the NBS one that starts @3pm? haha it'll be a mad rush im so sure of that

Yes NBS starts at 3... NUS ends at 2.... haha quite well-coordinated although it would be quite a rush!

summer
05-11-2010, 10:37 PM
hi, question: did anyone apply for business concurrent degree and if so have you heard from nus rgd your offer?

question 2: going for this bba masterclass is it beneficial or what to your admission? should i go for it?

starry
05-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Has anyone received news about the business scholarship?

Please reply!! It's very worrying

slayercsa
05-12-2010, 10:46 AM
hi, question: did anyone apply for business concurrent degree and if so have you heard from nus rgd your offer?

question 2: going for this bba masterclass is it beneficial or what to your admission? should i go for it?

is not beneficial. it just help u to make ur choice. go there if u wan to know more abt nus biz.

jeantay91
05-12-2010, 02:57 PM

Hi, I'm in the same situation as you. I was invited but my NUS application is still 'processing'. I wasn't called down for any interviews too. I called and asked if getting the invitation meant receiving an acceptance letter, but they said the invitation is just for 'potential' candidates, does not mean you're accepted. They are still conducting interviews till next week,but so far I havent gotten any calls for interview yet..dunno if that means I'm not accepted cos my results are not that good for NUS Biz actually. Made me happy for nothing! :(

red_devilz
05-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Hi, I'm in the same situation as you. I was invited but my NUS application is still 'processing'. I wasn't called down for any interviews too. I called and asked if getting the invitation meant receiving an acceptance letter, but they said the invitation is just for 'potential' candidates, does not mean you're accepted. They are still conducting interviews till next week,but so far I havent gotten any calls for interview yet..dunno if that means I'm not accepted cos my results are not that good for NUS Biz actually. Made me happy for nothing! :(

Haha, I thought I was already accepted till I checked the online portal, disappointment! Well, are you attending the Masterclass?

jeantay91
05-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Haha, I thought I was already accepted till I checked the online portal, disappointment! Well, are you attending the Masterclass?

Does that mean you got in another course?Mine's still processing, so i guess tentatively I'll be attending the Masterclass..unless within this week I see that I got in another course. Have you registered for the masterclass though?Can just pon or should we inform them? lol

red_devilz
05-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Does that mean you got in another course?Mine's still processing, so i guess tentatively I'll be attending the Masterclass..unless within this week I see that I got in another course. Have you registered for the masterclass though?Can just pon or should we inform them? lol

Nope, mine is still pending, as I went for the discretionary admissions interview 2wks back ( I don't know what for ).
I registered just last night and I would think it is safer for you to register, as I was put on a 'waiting list' due to 'unforeseen demand' for the masterclass session. NUS and her idiosyncrasies, oh well....

jeantay91
05-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Nope, mine is still pending, as I went for the discretionary admissions interview 2wks back ( I don't know what for ).
I registered just last night and I would think it is safer for you to register, as I was put on a 'waiting list' due to 'unforeseen demand' for the masterclass session. NUS and her idiosyncrasies, oh well....

Mind if I ask what are your grades? Mine's too lousy to be displayed :o haha

red_devilz
05-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Mind if I ask what are your grades? Mine's too lousy to be displayed :o haha

Hmm, I doubt yours are lousy, if not they would 've rejected you for business and offer you the next available course in your order of preference.

My grades are ABB/A GP A PW B, if that helps :)

jeantay91
05-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Hmm, I doubt yours are lousy, if not they would 've rejected you for business and offer you the next available course in your order of preference.

My grades are ABB/A GP A PW B, if that helps :)

I see..mine is BBBB GP A PW A. Really lousy if considered for business leh. I put it as first choice just to try my luck lol. But I wasnt called for interview so I guess kinda no hope alrdy..:( how was the interview like though? they asked you more abt yourself or wad?

red_devilz
05-12-2010, 10:25 PM
I see..mine is BBBB GP A PW A. Really lousy if considered for business leh. I put it as first choice just to try my luck lol. But I wasnt called for interview so I guess kinda no hope alrdy..:( how was the interview like though? they asked you more abt yourself or wad?

Hi, don't worry, the interview was quite random, there were lots of people with scores better than mine.The fact that you were not rejected means there is a good chance for acceptance.
Interview was gruelling I'd say. We were first given 15mins to do a general knowledge MCQ test which consisted of 50 questions. We were then ushered into a room where there was a scenario posed to us and we were given 15mins to read and decide on our responses separately.
After the 15mins, we were brought into a board room where there were 2 interviewers who would judge our responses from the earlier scenario, sort of like a board meeting. However, there was totally no interaction with the profs.
Hope that helps :)

Floun.Der
05-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Hi sorry a bit random here. i heard from other ppl that nus biz gave a generalised degree n it is not reali advantageous for employment. isit true? coz i wan to go nus but i m veri worried when i hear this.

Floun.Der
05-13-2010, 09:44 PM
hello! im a "normal biz students without scholarships ". hahaha, i got rejected by the biz scholarship xD

1 thing i must really emphasize is that, uni starts at ground zero, cos ure competing with a new bunch all over again. no guarantee u will continue to do as well ( or as average) as u used to be. so if ur goal in biz sch is to get high CAP, u will most prob be able to do so if u mug thruout. but if your goal is otherwise, for eg, getting experience, u can achieve this by participating in cca, case competitions, going exchange, internships etc.

going exchange is relatively easy.. CAP about 3.3 should be okay, but if u want better uni, will need better CAP then. getting internships may be competitive, but that depends on your interview skills also. case comp will hone your presentation skills and put your knowledge to test, but i think CAP is not VERY correlated to performance in this area. haha

unless ure those damn inactive type and expect ppl to spoon feed u like in jc times, there are bound to be opportunities that you can grab and create changes for yourself (:

oo. thx for ur reply. ya apparently ntu says that too. so i tink as long as the grades are good, opportunities are everywher huh..

red_devilz
05-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Hi sorry a bit random here. i heard from other ppl that nus biz gave a generalised degree n it is not reali advantageous for employment. isit true? coz i wan to go nus but i m veri worried when i hear this.

According to the NUS website, they do provide specialisations and second major. I don't know what society's intepretation of 'general degree' is, but I guess it would be good for someone who has in-depth understanding of this to comment :)

faith-ed
05-13-2010, 10:31 PM
oo. thx for ur reply. ya apparently ntu says that too. so i tink as long as the grades are good, opportunities are everywher huh..

haha thats the general situation in sg ba :) but really don have to worry bout the need to get exceptional grades, unless that is your exceptional aim ^^

faith-ed
05-13-2010, 10:34 PM
According to the NUS website, they do provide specialisations and second major. I don't know what society's intepretation of 'general degree' is, but I guess it would be good for someone who has in-depth understanding of this to comment :)

yeah biz degrees are considered "general degree" if compare to others such as engg and sci. BBA (acct) is more "specialized" that BBA (admin). for BBA (admin), u can do double specialization/double major/minor etc, up to own pref and planning skills (cos need to bid mods to ensure enough modular credits to get that specialization/major/minor)

red_devilz
05-13-2010, 10:41 PM
yeah biz degrees are considered "general degree" if compare to others such as engg and sci. BBA (acct) is more "specialized" that BBA (admin). for BBA (admin), u can do double specialization/double major/minor etc, up to own pref and planning skills (cos need to bid mods to ensure enough modular credits to get that specialization/major/minor)

I see, so we do take up majors/specialisations, will the BBA(hons) degree still be considered a 'general' one? How does that match up to NTU and SMU, so the latter schools offer a 'general' business degree as well ? Anyway, I think such terminologies will not affect employment by the various sectors right?

faith-ed
05-14-2010, 01:47 PM
I see, so we do take up majors/specialisations, will the BBA(hons) degree still be considered a 'general' one? How does that match up to NTU and SMU, so the latter schools offer a 'general' business degree as well ? Anyway, I think such terminologies will not affect employment by the various sectors right?

to me, all biz degrees are considered 'general degree'. imo it wouldnt affect, but i only just finished year 1 so my words may not be that well substantiated ^_^

jeantay91
05-14-2010, 03:47 PM
@red_devilz: hey I just checked my nus application, i got my 2nd choice instd. I guess it was quite expected.. Oh well, hope u get in nus business though! All the best! I think I'm nt attending the masterclass though, quite ptless.. Shuld I inform them? Lol

red_devilz
05-14-2010, 04:13 PM
@red_devilz: hey I just checked my nus application, i got my 2nd choice instd. I guess it was quite expected.. Oh well, hope u get in nus business though! All the best! I think I'm nt attending the masterclass though, quite ptless.. Shuld I inform them? Lol

Oh, are you by any chance doing business in other universities?
NUS is wasting people's time by sending invites to everyone who applies.

jeantay91
05-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Oh, are you by any chance doing business in other universities?
NUS is wasting people's time by sending invites to everyone who applies.

haha i agree..i just got an offer from SMU's Business. But I've read quite alot of negative stuff from the SMUgger thread, lol. Dunno if I should go for it..

red_devilz
05-15-2010, 01:25 AM
haha i agree..i just got an offer from SMU's Business. But I've read quite alot of negative stuff from the SMUgger thread, lol. Dunno if I should go for it..

Hi congrats! Well, competition is omnipresent. You just gotta put in that amount of effort and brush up on networking, and you should be able to thrive in SMU's corporate environment!

silverlaces
05-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Hi, has anyone gone for an interview with nus biz & has yet to receive a reply from them? I'm personally very confused by nus' system. I was called down to go for an interview (the person said for admission & scholarship). I have not officially received an offer from NUS yet, but the email sent to me clearly said "scholarships interview". Judging from my mediocre grades, I don't think I'm anywhere close to getting a scholarship, though. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Oh & by the way, I'd like to ask whether the interviews for entry are different from the interviews for scholarship? I'm so confused & it's getting tiring because my parents keep pressing me everyday, asking if NUS has given me a reply. ): Thank you for your help in advance!

starry
05-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Hi I would like to ask if anyone has received the call informing you that you have been offered a scholarship?

I heard that they will be calling from monday onwards....

summer
05-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Hi, has anyone gone for an interview with nus biz & has yet to receive a reply from them? I'm personally very confused by nus' system. I was called down to go for an interview (the person said for admission & scholarship). I have not officially received an offer from NUS yet, but the email sent to me clearly said "scholarships interview". Judging from my mediocre grades, I don't think I'm anywhere close to getting a scholarship, though. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Oh & by the way, I'd like to ask whether the interviews for entry are different from the interviews for scholarship? I'm so confused & it's getting tiring because my parents keep pressing me everyday, asking if NUS has given me a reply. ): Thank you for your help in advance!

hi silverlaces im in the exact same situation as you. the biz interview that i went for was def a scholarship interview but they said that the same format is used for discretionary admissions. my status has been stuck at 'application processing' for eons already. and its already the 3rd week of may. according to the dean during the interview that time they will inform us of outcome by this week, but it is already thursday. am worried. mind sharing what was your first course choice?

it is very irritating that they're taking so long.. because im also planning to apply for hall in nus and the deadline is 1 june as well. but i cannot log in to apply without having received offer from nus. argh. *pulls hair out*

happie
05-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Hey summer, I got an e-mail message on 13 May telling me that I have been offered the Business Dean's Scholarship. They told me that I will receive further information in the coming weeks by e-mail and post. I went for the interview on 13 April, if that helps.

summer
05-20-2010, 05:12 PM
congrats happie! ohh i was not harbouring any hope about the scholarship because my 'interview' was not very outstanding -.- what i meant was that i am still waiting to hear from them rgd my concurrent degree.. sigh.

happie
05-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks!

Oh I see! Good luck for your application, I don't think they have stopped giving out offer letters. I didn't know you could apply for a concurrent degree, though.

silverlaces
05-20-2010, 05:51 PM
hi summer, my first course choice is actually business admin, second choice fass. nus is taking hopelessly long, seriously. if i had known, i would have applied for ntu biz as well. i wasn't actually considering business initially, but now that i've gone down for an interview & all, i just wanna know how it went. plus i'm interested in business now :(

i'm exactly in the same situation as you! i want to apply for hall too but i can't even get into the bloody page since i'm not officially offered a course yet. it's already thursday, sigh. do you think they usually will send a letter for course offer first, or update the online portal, or do both at the same time? i'm getting pretty worried.

starry
05-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Hey summer, I got an e-mail message on 13 May telling me that I have been offered the Business Dean's Scholarship. They told me that I will receive further information in the coming weeks by e-mail and post. I went for the interview on 13 April, if that helps.

Hi, thanks for sharing! And congrats (: Do you know of anyone who was offered a nus business scholarship?

summer
05-20-2010, 11:31 PM
i think they will update the online portal first followed by snail mail, and i think the webpage is well on its way onto my 'top hit' webpage... zzz. i think i plan to call nus tmr if my status is still 'application processing' by say, noon. its about time they give us a reply?! im pretty sure i will be offered a place in nus, its just a matter of which course. sigh. waiting is torturous.

silverlaces
05-21-2010, 09:06 AM
hi summer! i think you should go check the online portal soon! i've gotten my course offer, finally. i was offered Business Admin & Master in Public Policy concurrent degree. GOOD LUCK TO YOU. (:

ripepumpkin
05-21-2010, 09:12 AM
ugh still nothing :/ haha. oh well.

silverlaces
05-21-2010, 09:27 AM
ugh still nothing :/ haha. oh well.

hi ripepumpkin, good luck to you too. (:

summer
05-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Omg silverlaces! I was offered that too. We'll be coursemates!!!

fishstory
05-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Any idea how many people who got the offer for mpp in their first year actually get to do the course in the end? 'Cos it seems like the class size for mpp is pretty small and only a handful of Singaporeans graduate with mpp each year.

Then again, my information may be incorrect. (:

red_devilz
05-22-2010, 12:33 AM
Hi guys, I just got into NUS BBA after my discretionary admissions interview on late april! :)

ahpek
05-22-2010, 08:32 AM
anyone going to the bizconnect 2010? sounds really interesting things happening...
________
Plymouth Backpack Specifications (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Plymouth_Backpack)

artanis
05-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Hi! I was offered BBA(Acc)+MSc Management and Dean's Scholarship yesterday. Anyone else (other than happie, congratz!) got the same scholarship offer? I do not see any thread devoted to the scholarship...

faith-ed
05-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Any idea how many people who got the offer for mpp in their first year actually get to do the course in the end? 'Cos it seems like the class size for mpp is pretty small and only a handful of Singaporeans graduate with mpp each year.

yupp quite a handful got offered for mpp, but ppl will tend to drop out aft yr 1 or choose not to continue. drop out doesnt mean grades not good, but jus that ppl may have a change of mindset or wanna grad earlier or they may alrd have good job offers :D

starry
05-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi! I was offered BBA(Acc)+MSc Management and Dean's Scholarship yesterday. Anyone else (other than happie, congratz!) got the same scholarship offer? I do not see any thread devoted to the scholarship...

Hey artanis! May I ask your grades/portfolio? Congrats :)

artanis
05-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Hey artanis! May I ask your grades/portfolio? Congrats :)

Thanks!
I got AAAB for 4H2s, As for GP and PW, Merit for H3...not really spectacular;)

silverlaces
05-23-2010, 07:03 PM
omg summer! we'll be coursemates! HAHA hi 5! :D anyway, does anyone know how the concurrent degree (eg. biz admin + master of public policy) works exactly? do we start accumulating module credits from year one for the public policy one, or do we start studying it only in year 3?

starry
05-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks!
I got AAAB for 4H2s, As for GP and PW, Merit for H3...not really spectacular;)

wow artanis! seems like you're really zai!! so are you taking up the nanyang scholarship of the nus's dean's?

movingforward
05-25-2010, 08:47 PM
I went for the interview for BBA(acc) in late April and no reply yet. I am getting really worried. I recieved this invitation to BBA tea session on 29th May and the poster said "congrats my offer". This is really confusing for me. Does that mean I get an offer? But then my application status is still processing...Anybody in the same situation like me?:(:confused:

red_devilz
05-25-2010, 08:52 PM
I went for the interview for BBA(acc) in late April and no reply yet. I am getting really worried. I recieved this invitation to BBA tea session on 29th May and the poster said "congrats my offer". This is really confusing for me. Does that mean I get an offer? But then my application status is still processing...Anybody in the same situation like me?:(:confused:

Try giving them a call ? I went for the same interview at late april too, for BBA. I got my offer last fri evening after I called them during the late afternoon. The guy asked if I had other offers, and I said yes, I was waiting for the final offer from NUS so that I can make my decision as 1st June is rapidly approaching. Good luck!

movingforward
05-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Try giving them a call ? I went for the same interview at late april too, for BBA. I got my offer last fri evening after I called them during the late afternoon. The guy asked if I had other offers, and I said yes, I was waiting for the final offer from NUS so that I can make my decision as 1st June is rapidly approaching. Good luck!
hehe,thanks! I have called them today and i recieved bba offer this afternoon. I guess really need to make some calls:o
But i am accepted into BBA not BBA(acc)(BBA is my second choice), do you know whether I can transfer to acc. in the second year from BBA?

silentgiggler
05-29-2010, 12:00 AM
hi may i ask, did you call the faculty or oam?

movingforward
05-29-2010, 10:27 AM
I called the faculty. It was a guy picking up.

red_devilz
05-29-2010, 04:38 PM
hehe,thanks! I have called them today and i recieved bba offer this afternoon. I guess really need to make some calls:o
But i am accepted into BBA not BBA(acc)(BBA is my second choice), do you know whether I can transfer to acc. in the second year from BBA?

I have friends transferring from BBA(acct) to BBA, not sure about the other way round. I think it is possible, if your grades are fairly good, since year 1 is a common foundation year for all BBA (acct or not) students :)

red_devilz
05-29-2010, 04:39 PM

I called Office of admissions.

summer
05-30-2010, 06:15 PM
hey guys, anyone knows about school fees for concurrent degree programme, do we take the fees for our home course plus the fees for our masters course (7.5k + 2.9k) or is it discounted??

hot_cool_gal123
05-31-2010, 11:21 PM
hello everyone, i just want to know if the BBA acctcy program involves too many projects.. and what way is it different from ntu acctcy??? thanks in advance

marcus
06-02-2010, 03:01 PM
hello everyone, i just want to know if the BBA acctcy program involves too many projects.. and what way is it different from ntu acctcy??? thanks in advance
there are projects, just like in any biz sch. they are part and parcel of life. but in my opinion, it is manageable

marcus
06-02-2010, 03:03 PM
I have friends transferring from BBA(acct) to BBA, not sure about the other way round. I think it is possible, if your grades are fairly good, since year 1 is a common foundation year for all BBA (acct or not) students :)

it is possible, albeit much harder. u need good grades and certain requirements

marcus
06-02-2010, 03:04 PM

I will suggest you accept it and appeal for a transfer after your first year! be sure to mug hard though :)

marcus
06-02-2010, 03:06 PM
omg summer! we'll be coursemates! HAHA hi 5! :D anyway, does anyone know how the concurrent degree (eg. biz admin + master of public policy) works exactly? do we start accumulating module credits from year one for the public policy one, or do we start studying it only in year 3?

hi. u might want to consider looking at the official nus bba website for more info!

marcus
06-02-2010, 03:09 PM

the requirements to maintain concurrent masters are pretty stringent, so some people drop out. others have a change in mind about their career paths. ultimately, the decision should lie in your hand and whether you like that subject

saranghae
06-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Is the BBA timetable quite 'fixed' in a sense that we have to take particular compulsory modules?

marcus
06-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Is the BBA timetable quite 'fixed' in a sense that we have to take particular compulsory modules?

not really. there is a new curriculum for the incoming freshies. however, it is essentially the same in the sense that freshies will take a core set of common modules which will probably take them 1.5-2yrs of their time, following which they will choose their specialization (more flexibility).

each specialization has 2-3 modules which are compulsory for that specialization, and then you can choose other modules which you like from a basket of modules (e.g. an Options and Futures module from the finance basket of modules) to complete a Major (total of 6 modules).

after which, you can choose to do other modules (e.g. Marketing) and thus perhaps complete a double Major in Finance and Marketing within 4 years

I am just giving you a brief overview though, and there are countless options for you to choose from. it may seem overwhelming now, but attend our orientation camps and seek advice from seniors. that's what I did, and it was much easier after that

saranghae
06-02-2010, 07:04 PM
not really. there is a new curriculum for the incoming freshies. however, it is essentially the same in the sense that freshies will take a core set of common modules which will probably take them 1.5-2yrs of their time, following which they will choose their specialization (more flexibility).

each specialization has 2-3 modules which are compulsory for that specialization, and then you can choose other modules which you like from a basket of modules (e.g. an Options and Futures module from the finance basket of modules) to complete a Major (total of 6 modules).

after which, you can choose to do other modules (e.g. Marketing) and thus perhaps complete a double Major in Finance and Marketing within 4 years

I am just giving you a brief overview though, and there are countless options for you to choose from. it may seem overwhelming now, but attend our orientation camps and seek advice from seniors. that's what I did, and it was much easier after that
Ah!! Sounds very exciting. Thanks a lot marcus!

Is it possible that people do not choose a specialization at all?

marcus
06-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Ah!! Sounds very exciting. Thanks a lot marcus!

Is it possible that people do not choose a specialization at all?

Nope, it is not possible and definitely not advisable. But you need not make your decision on what to specialize straight away. Over the course of time, you will learn to decide what you like and what you are good at!

marcus
06-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Dear all, I have created a new thread to mark certain updates to my original post!

Butterbeer
06-02-2010, 08:53 PM
hi marcus, thanks for the really comprehensive write-up on the opportunities one can get at nus biz sch.

i was wondering if you could also provide the other side of the story, by sharing some things that you feel are not satisfactory / can be improved with regards to your experience in nus biz.

starry
06-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Hi marcus would you like to share about anything regarding the advanced placement of modules? What is it about? Is it good or bad?

Thanks alot! ((:

marcus
06-03-2010, 01:31 AM
hi marcus, thanks for the really comprehensive write-up on the opportunities one can get at nus biz sch.

i was wondering if you could also provide the other side of the story, by sharing some things that you feel are not satisfactory / can be improved with regards to your experience in nus biz.

Hi butterbeer, please refer to my new thread for your reply!

marcus
06-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Hi marcus would you like to share about anything regarding the advanced placement of modules? What is it about? Is it good or bad?

Thanks alot! ((:

Hi starry, in general it means that you will gain some exemptions on certain modules so you will be able to do less modules which is a good thing!

starry
06-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Hi starry, in general it means that you will gain some exemptions on certain modules so you will be able to do less modules which is a good thing!

but is it true that the modules up for exemption are the easier ones which will pull up your CAP?

red_devilz
06-03-2010, 09:58 AM

Do you encourage people to apply for advance placement of modules? Thanks!

marcus
06-03-2010, 10:00 AM
but is it true that the modules up for exemption are the easier ones which will pull up your CAP?

perhaps you can think of it this way: u take less modules than the rest, you get to devote more time to your core modules

marcus
06-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Do you encourage people to apply for advance placement of modules? Thanks!

i never had advanced placement, but i will encourage you though. who does not want to graduate earlier / do less modules? it can be pretty taxing, especially in your first year while you are still trying to make the transition

Lurv_1989
06-25-2010, 12:31 AM
Hmm.. I'm worried that I may lose out in later years if I don't take the foundation modules that I am exempted for..

innovator
11-05-2010, 05:04 PM
hi all, im in my final sem from SP Aero Electrn.My cgpa for 5 sem is 3.92 but got a raw R4 of 14 and R5 of 19 and was not offered amaths during my o lvl. Would like to know whether was anyone offered a place in biz ad without amaths background? And personally Im more keen to study acct than biz. Will u advice me to put acct as first choice then followed by biz? (im fine with biz too, but prefer acct abit more) cuz i dont now if order of choice is going to jeopardize my chances of getting in.

ps: i have a diploma plus in engg maths too... which is comparable to year 1 uni engg math.. but i dont think its gonna help.

Haecceity
11-05-2010, 08:32 PM
I don't think the order of your choice is going to jeopardise your chances of getting in.
I don't think you need an A Maths background for Acct: a quick check of the NUS website doesn't suggest so (http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply/local/poly/sp/singapore.html). So yes, I would suggest that you put accountany as your first choice. Good luck!

Lurv_1989
11-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Hi there! Just to build on to what Haecceity said, I think it would really be advisable to put Acct as your first choice. My friend who was initially offered business (her second choice) appealed to Acct (her first choice) and was offered Acct after appeals.

As for your chances, I think it's pretty good. Your additional achievements and CCA records will help you stand out from the rest. All the best my SP junior! :)

- I was offered Biz Ad without A-Maths background, but took Calculus in SP before I graduated.. :)

innovator
11-06-2010, 05:44 PM
I don't think the order of your choice is going to jeopardise your chances of getting in.
I don't think you need an A Maths background for Acct: a quick check of the NUS website doesn't suggest so (http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply/local/poly/sp/singapore.html). So yes, I would suggest that you put accountany as your first choice. Good luck!

Thanks, I hope I can get into a Acct/Biz course next year. I am quite sick of engineering already. Lol. But one of my concerns is that, I find the university admission exercise not very transparent. In a sense that, they did not mention what are the subjects that they will take into considerations when computing the admission score for the O level component.

Hi there! Just to build on to what Haecceity said, I think it would really be advisable to put Acct as your first choice. My friend who was initially offered business (her second choice) appealed to Acct (her first choice) and was offered Acct after appeals.

As for your chances, I think it's pretty good. Your additional achievements and CCA records will help you stand out from the rest. All the best my SP junior! :)

- I was offered Biz Ad without A-Maths background, but took Calculus in SP before I graduated.. :)

hi Lurv_1989, saw ur post in the hwz before. haha! U mean u took dip plus in calculus before? does it help in ur application? I dont have fantastic CCA records though...and I hope I can get in with my 5 sem result (most offer given are based on 5 sem rite?), cos idk what is going to happen in my final sem. haha! :p

Haecceity
11-06-2010, 06:29 PM
But one of my concerns is that, I find the university admission exercise not very transparent. In a sense that, they did not mention what are the subjects that they will take into considerations when computing the admission score for the O level component.

Well, the university likes to maintain some discretion when awarding places... I do think that they will take your best few subjects though! Besides, your poly diploma is 80% of your grade, while your O level cert takes up 20% - you stand a very good chance for entry, even without considering your CCA record (which you primarily would use for Discretionary Admission)! :)

GSC1989
11-07-2010, 12:23 AM
hi Lurv_1989, saw ur post in the hwz before. haha! U mean u took dip plus in calculus before? does it help in ur application?

Just thought I would help Lurv_1989 to answer this question. (regardless if the calculus module taken was under a Diploma Plus programme) Diploma Plus certificates do not affect the University Score computation. Possessing a diploma plus certificate does not help to increase your chances of getting into your preferred course under the mainstream process.

It can however, allow you to be exempt from university entry-level modules and of course, acquire knowledge that would be useful in coping with the workload.

miyavvii
01-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Hi ,
I was offered a placement in NUS business admin.
I was hoping to hear from the seniors, whether is there any specialization for this degree ? Is is considered as a general degree ?
Or any majors that we could undertake ?

Thanks

Lurv_1989
01-27-2011, 06:23 AM
Hi ,
I was offered a placement in NUS business admin.
I was hoping to hear from the seniors, whether is there any specialization for this degree ? Is is considered as a general degree ?
Or any majors that we could undertake ?

Thanks

Hi there! I'm not really much of a senior but I think I can advise you on the specialisations offered to business admin students.. I'm currently a Year 1 at the NUS Business School and have not chosen my specialisation by the way..

There are four specialisations namely:

1) Finance
2) Operations and Supply Chain Management
3) Management and Human Capital
4) Marketing

For the first year, you would take core business modules and will only specialise at the end of the second year.

As for whether it's a general degree, its not. Your specialisations will firstly differentiate you from 3/4 of your cohort (assuming equal allocation of each specialisation) and the rest is up to you to differentiate yourself from your peers to stand out.

PS: NUS has tons of opportunities for you to differentiate yourself (sports, overseas exchange programmes, University Scholars Programme and so on)...

02-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Dear all,

I have just graduated from a JC and would like to ask a few questions regarding certain degrees.

The bachelor of business administration(BBA) requires basically 3 years to complete the course and obtain a degree.
Then in what situation can one graduate with a degree with honours?
A degree with honours will take approximately how long to finish?
Is it possible to enlighten me about the 3 years direct honours degree programme that ntu offers? Won't that be an obvious better choice since it will require more than 3 years to obtain a degree with honours in NUS. Moreover, the honours is more or less guaranteed in NTU.
One last question, if i were to enroll in the faculty of arts and social sciences in NUS and to major in Economics after my first year. What will i graduate with? For example, a bachelor of arts?

Lurv_1989
03-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Dear all,

I have just graduated from a JC and would like to ask a few questions regarding certain degrees.

The bachelor of business administration(BBA) requires basically 3 years to complete the course and obtain a degree.
Then in what situation can one graduate with a degree with honours?
A degree with honours will take approximately how long to finish?
Is it possible to enlighten me about the 3 years direct honours degree programme that ntu offers? Won't that be an obvious better choice since it will require more than 3 years to obtain a degree with honours in NUS. Moreover, the honours is more or less guaranteed in NTU.
One last question, if i were to enroll in the faculty of arts and social sciences in NUS and to major in Economics after my first year. What will i graduate with? For example, a bachelor of arts?

I believe that if your CAP is over 3.5 after 3 years, then you would be able to advance to the Honours year.. A degree with honours will take 4 years to finish.

freshapple
03-08-2011, 05:53 PM
hi i was wondering how many places are there for biz school each yr? thanks :)

marcus
03-11-2011, 04:37 AM
hi i was wondering how many places are there for biz school each yr? thanks :)

436 business students
176 accountancy students

2010/2011 intake

marcus
03-11-2011, 04:38 AM
Dear all,

NUS will be having its open house from 12-13 March 2011 (Sat - Sun).

The NUS Business School will be represented by a huge contingent of passionate undergraduates (we only get paid a nominal fee).

If you are unsure of whether NUS, or NUS Business School is for you, this is a good opportunity to ask seniors about their experiences, as this will be the best way for you to make an informed choice.

I will be there as well (Saturday 9am-1pm), so you can PM me if you want to discuss more about making your choice.

Alternatively, you can PM me to discuss it via the message system as well!

Regards,
Marcus

Akiyama
03-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Hi, i was wondering if i put NUS business(acc) and environmental engineering as 2nd/3rd choices, will i be in any disadvantage to those who put 1st choice.
anw, i gt a UAS of 85.00.
tks

marcus
03-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Hi, i was wondering if i put NUS business(acc) and environmental engineering as 2nd/3rd choices, will i be in any disadvantage to those who put 1st choice.
anw, i gt a UAS of 85.00.
tks

Hi, with your grades, i don't think you will be disadvantaged.

But since med/law interviews are in Jun, assuming you do not get into either 1, then you will only get your acceptance in Jun

Akiyama
03-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Hi, with your grades, i don't think you will be disadvantaged.

But since med/law interviews are in Jun, assuming you do not get into either 1, then you will only get your acceptance in Jun

ohh.. hmm, means there will be those who will get their reply letter ard april-may, while for my case, i will only get in ard june? thanks =)

marcus
03-13-2011, 06:32 PM
ohh.. hmm, means there will be those who will get their reply letter ard april-may, while for my case, i will only get in ard june? thanks =)

you are right :)

innovator
03-21-2011, 08:53 PM
hi there! I would like to ask whether when will the application outcome be out for poly grad? TIA! :)

Dark
03-23-2011, 02:07 AM
Hi there! I would like to ask a few questions:

1. Is there a difference between the accountancy degree offered by NUS and those of NTU and SMU? (Besides NUS mixing it with business)
2. Will NUS accountancy students be at a disadvantage compared to those in NTU and SMU because they do not study pure accountancy?
3. Is BBA (Acc) an actual accountancy degree or is it a general business degree with a specialisation in accountancy?
4. Does the NUS accountancy degree have as many accreditations as those of the other universities?

Thanks!

norahle
03-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Hi there! I would like to ask a few questions:

1. Is there a difference between the accountancy degree offered by NUS and those of NTU and SMU? (Besides NUS mixing it with business)
2. Will NUS accountancy students be at a disadvantage compared to those in NTU and SMU because they do not study pure accountancy?
3. Is BBA (Acc) an actual accountancy degree or is it a general business degree with a specialisation in accountancy?
4. Does the NUS accountancy degree have as many accreditations as those of the other universities?

Thanks!

you may found ur answer at this thread
http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2835 :D

Groupon
03-24-2011, 10:09 PM
NUS Business School Summer Institute Program for JC and poly students:
http://executive-education.nus.edu.sg/SUMMER/tabid/218/Default.aspx

innovator
04-01-2011, 01:33 PM
got accepted into NUS Business School ytd! YAY!

Lurv_1989
04-02-2011, 09:40 AM
got accepted into NUS Business School ytd! YAY!

Wow! Congrats. Hope to see you in school next semester! :)

innovator
04-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Wow! Congrats. Hope to see you in school next semester! :)

hi Lurv! I still have to serve ns leh... :( cya in ur final year! ;)

Evelyn
04-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Will I be disadvantaged as I am using South Australian Matriculation(SAM) results for application? When can I know the application outcome? Is BBS(Accountancy) a very competitive course?

04-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Hi! I applied for NUS Business as well as NTU Business and until now I have yet to receive any application letter, starting to get abit worried. My rank points add up to 85.5. Could there be a possibility of me not getting into the faculty? Furthermore, i applied under the discretionary column as well, would that be one of the reasons as to why my application is taking so long?

zanez
04-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Hi! I applied for NUS Business as well as NTU Business and until now I have yet to receive any application letter, starting to get abit worried. My rank points add up to 85.5. Could there be a possibility of me not getting into the faculty? Furthermore, i applied under the discretionary column as well, would that be one of the reasons as to why my application is taking so long?

We are on the same boat! =(

innovator
04-19-2011, 05:21 PM
I've received an email invitation for the NUS BBA masterclass. Is anyone here attending?

04-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Hi i called up the office of admissions, they told me it will most likely come during May hahaas..

04-20-2011, 11:55 AM
heys, i forgot to ask you.. you got 85 too? I find it so weird why i havent got my letter till now

04-20-2011, 11:56 AM
nopes.. whats's that?

zanez
04-20-2011, 01:34 PM
heys, i forgot to ask you.. you got 85 too? I find it so weird why i havent got my letter till now

Nope. I am not as zai as you. I mean I haven gotten any interview from NBS or NUS. And I applied thru discretionary also.

04-21-2011, 09:01 AM
lols.. what zai? there are a whole lot of people applying.. according to my friend, there are even people with straight As applying for the course which makes me break out in cold sweat. -.- hmm.. by right u wont have nay interview if you meet their criteria i guess?

Freedom Train
04-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Hi ppl,

I have applied for NUS Biz in late March, on the same day as I have applied for NTU and SMU.

So far I've received responses from NTU and SMU for interview session but none from NUS.

My question is whether would there be any form of interview from NUS or is it direct admission?

leokswong
04-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Hi ppl,

I have applied for NUS Biz in late March, on the same day as I have applied for NTU and SMU.

So far I've received responses from NTU and SMU for interview session but none from NUS.

My question is whether would there be any form of interview from NUS or is it direct admission?

For my case, NUS was a direct admission and NTU required interview

leokswong
04-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Will I be disadvantaged as I am using South Australian Matriculation(SAM) results for application? When can I know the application outcome? Is BBS(Accountancy) a very competitive course?

Hi BBA(Acct) is a v competitive course as there are many straight As students applying and at the same time it only offers 100++ places.

Btw, are you from Malaysia since u using SAM to apply?

lipstickdelight
04-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Hi BBA(Acct) is a v competitive course as there are many straight As students applying and at the same time it only offers 100++ places.

Hi can anyone clarify the diff btw nus acct & ntu acct? I heard nus acct isn't accredited? & Just wondering, it seems that nus acct and biz is exactly the same only that acct has extra acct-specific modules?

Appreciate your replies (: Good luck to all!

leokswong
04-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Hi can anyone clarify the diff btw nus acct & ntu acct? I heard nus acct isn't accredited? & Just wondering, it seems that nus acct and biz is exactly the same only that acct has extra acct-specific modules?

Appreciate your replies (: Good luck to all!

You can try this website
http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2835

Evelyn
04-22-2011, 07:03 PM

Hello there! Meaning I don't stand a high chance to get in even my SAM result has a quite high ATAR of 97? Very competitive means they might choose one out of one hundred applicants? Do you know when can I know the outcome, I know it is between May till mid-July, but a more exact date as I need to confirm on going for the NTU entrance exam or not. And yes I'm from Malaysia, nice to meet you!

lipstickdelight
04-24-2011, 03:55 PM
You can try this website
http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2835

Hi the website was so helpful. Thanks so much for the tip! (:

leokswong
04-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Hello there! Meaning I don't stand a high chance to get in even my SAM result has a quite high ATAR of 97? Very competitive means they might choose one out of one hundred applicants? Do you know when can I know the outcome, I know it is between May till mid-July, but a more exact date as I need to confirm on going for the NTU entrance exam or not. And yes I'm from Malaysia, nice to meet you!

Hi I didn't mean that. I am nt v sure of how sg unis access intl applicants. Likewise the date of outcome for intl applicants are also diff from local applicants. Why nt take the nut entrance exam as well so that u can have more choices when both uni accepts u. Nice to meet u 2

funktastic
04-25-2011, 10:16 PM
hello, i would like to inquire about NUS BBA (biz).
If i wanted to study/specialise in quantitative finance, could i do so via business or do i have to go through the Faculty Of Science? meaning could do i get to take quantitative finance if i was taking BBA(biz)?
From what i've read, the eligibility to take quantitative finance comes after the first year and is provision based on your results.

lightgreen
04-28-2011, 06:20 AM
NUS bizz admin students choose their major based on a credit system ,meaning u can apply and obtain ur desired module as long as u have saved enough points by taking basic modules during ur 1st and 2nd year . This is different from ntu biz admin where securing desired modules in the first year is merit based in terms of academic performance.

from wat i heard, u only choose ur major at the start of 3rd year in NUS business school.
Correct me if i am wrong, might not be totally
right.

qn: does the credit system also apply to competitive modules like banking/finance/forensic sci?

lightgreen
04-28-2011, 08:46 AM
qn: is it true that nus bizz students can choose to graduate with either business administration or business (accountancy)?

If yall are offered NTU Accountancy and NUS bizz admin , which course will yall choose ? comment and state ur reason =)

funktastic
04-29-2011, 05:54 AM
@lightgreen

hi there, from what i've gathered during the NUS open house. it seems that the bidding system results in the major you will get. meaning, by graduation if you have all the modules or most of it, you will specialize in that. and yes, it applies to all competitive modules as i've been told.

you could also hold your credits (for bidding) to bid for the modules that are competitive at a later date, i.e 2nd/3rd year if the demand for that year is too high.

regarding accountancy and business, it depends on what you want to do. since i don't really intend to pursue a career in accountancy, business would be the obvious choice.
if you're asking me which is a safer choice, NUS business has a 80.9% employment rate(non-honors) and NTU accountancy has a 90.7% employment rate. passion wise- business, practicality wise- accountancy

lightgreen
04-29-2011, 07:33 AM
oic , always thought nus bizz admin has the highest employment and startin salary. Tks for correctin me =)
guess i will consider ntu accountancy instead.

funktastic
04-29-2011, 07:45 AM
@lightgreen

no problem! :)
anyways, if you're wondering how i derived my findings, its all from MOE.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/post-secondary/files/ges-nus.pdf
http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/post-secondary/files/ges-ntu.pdf
http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/post-secondary/files/ges-smu.pdf

about the starting pay, i have a hunch that graduates might overstate their pay. however i doubt they'd lie to MOE about their employment.

virtualfullstop
04-29-2011, 08:38 AM
oic , always thought nus bizz admin has the highest employment and startin salary. Tks for correctin me =)
guess i will consider ntu accountancy instead.

Hi there, although the statistics provided by funkstatic is very useful, I would advise you not to use that as the sole factor in determining your choice.

While it is true that the employment rate of NTU's accountancy graduates are higher than that of the NUS'z biz admin, it is highly unlikely that you will remain unemployed if you graduate with honours or with decent grades. As such, the employment rate statistics should not deter you from choosing the course, especially if it's what you really want to do.

Like I mention, the survey should only taken at face value. The statistics may not be a true reflection of you will be getting after you graduate, especially if you are a darn good student.

Bottom line is - if you are good, you don't have to be afraid of being unemployed or getting low salary after you graduate ;)

lightgreen
04-29-2011, 11:07 AM
erm.. cross reference with other websites , yes the statistics are true . On the surface nbs might be a more desirable option , but wat if i plan to pursue my career overseas? NUS might be given higher recognition due to the school's overall rankin, since oversea companies are not aware of the details of every business school in sg. This is my personnal opinion,. experts please correct me if i am wrong =)

funktastic
04-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Hmmmm. I agree the stats shouldn't be the only consideration for entrance to a university. Considering that most graduates would want to land themselves in a job after graduation, i think employment is a real pressing issue.

Personally, I have no doubt that anyone can do well if they try and have some talent in the area of study. But the best way to gauge how well (employment-wise) one does, I feel is to use the average to gauge. As virtualfullstop has pointed out, if its something you really want to do, i would high recommend it.
Being a keen learner goes a long way and probably could help you study harder and smarter than your peers, resulting in better grades.
However, from a results point of view, i've heard that acquiring an honors in Singapore is vastly more difficult than overseas universities. I've read somewhere in this forum that in NUS, only 2-3% of students achieve 1st class honors as compared to UK universities of 6-7% (i can't recall).

International recognition has been a pressing issue on my mind, i've been deciding between which business school to go. For what its worth, I've realised that despite NBS being ranked the top few business school, it applies only for their MBA... NUS has been consistent with its ranking and has global recognition imo.

As virtualfullstop has mentioned 'if you are good, you don't have to be afraid of being unemployed or getting low salary after you graduate'. If you top your cohort and make it to the dean's list and land yourself in some prestigious job in Singapore, i doubt finding a job overseas won't be a problem. In fact, they might come and head hunt you over!

However, finding the right university that compliments your learning style and has the ability to bring out the potential in you is another question...

virtualfullstop
04-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Hmmmm. I agree the stats shouldn't be the only consideration for entrance to a university. Considering that most graduates would want to land themselves in a job after graduation, i think employment is a real pressing issue.

Personally, I have no doubt that anyone can do well if they try and have some talent in the area of study. But the best way to gauge how well (employment-wise) one does, I feel is to use the average to gauge. As virtualfullstop has pointed out, if its something you really want to do, i would high recommend it.
Being a keen learner goes a long way and probably could help you study harder and smarter than your peers, resulting in better grades.
However, from a results point of view, i've heard that acquiring an honors in Singapore is vastly more difficult than overseas universities. I've read somewhere in this forum that in NUS, only 2-3% of students achieve 1st class honors as compared to UK universities of 6-7% (i can't recall).

International recognition has been a pressing issue on my mind, i've been deciding between which business school to go. For what its worth, I've realised that despite NBS being ranked the top few business school, it applies only for their MBA... NUS has been consistent with its ranking and has global recognition imo.

As virtualfullstop has mentioned 'if you are good, you don't have to be afraid of being unemployed or getting low salary after you graduate'. If you top your cohort and make it to the dean's list and land yourself in some prestigious job in Singapore, i doubt finding a job overseas won't be a problem. In fact, they might come and head hunt you over!

However, finding the right university that compliments your learning style and has the ability to bring out the potential in you is another question...

Actually, all the rankings out there are for MBA I guess? I don't think there are official ranking tables for universities at the undergrad level...

In terms of international recognition, I always believe that NUS has a stronger global branding. Even if the foreign employers have not heard of the 2 universities, the word 'Singapore' in NUS will probably carry some weight per se... :D

That's just my own opinion though! And that's partially whose I chose NUS over NTU.

And funktastic is right! The number of first class honour (and the other honours) students in Sg is definitely less than overseas universities. I can confirm that though I don't remember the source.

hui
04-29-2011, 01:54 PM
to funktastic & virtualfullstop,

it seems like both of you did a lot of research on both business schools.
great job for that! :D

but i am just wondering, isnt NTU biz school's curriculum structure better?
to that, im refering to the fact that NTU biz school offers a 3years direct honours programme. it seemed to suggest that if you enter Nanyang Business School, you would definitely be getting an honours at the end of the day, while for NUS, you need to do very well in your third year before you are offered to pursue honours for the fourth year.
thats basically the dilemma i have in deciding which business school to pick.
so, i just want to hear your opinions on this. :)

funktastic
04-29-2011, 03:24 PM
@hui

hello!
I've seen how some people feel that the direct honors is an advantage whereas others don't. Personally, i don't intend on going to NTU is because of the direct honors offered. I think it actually defeats the purpose of honors, furthermore i kinda devalues the honor(imo).
If someone its definitely going to get an honor or has a very very high chance of doing so, then whats the point. It has to be exclusive to be valuable.

However, about the curriculum being better structured I'm not too sure. I think at the end of the day, each university's curriculum should be alright. I've not read anywhere that grads from NUS/NTU/SMU under performing during jobs. But a point to note, for quantitative finance which relies heavily on maths, general consensus is that NUS is better since its located at the Science Faculty. From what i've read again, it doesn't really matter THAT much, but for SMU some do read outside the syllabus. About NTU, i'm not too sure and haven't seen much info for quant.

Hope i helped! :)

virtualfullstop
04-29-2011, 03:45 PM
to funktastic & virtualfullstop,

it seems like both of you did a lot of research on both business schools.
great job for that! :D

but i am just wondering, isnt NTU biz school's curriculum structure better?
to that, im refering to the fact that NTU biz school offers a 3years direct honours programme. it seemed to suggest that if you enter Nanyang Business School, you would definitely be getting an honours at the end of the day, while for NUS, you need to do very well in your third year before you are offered to pursue honours for the fourth year.
thats basically the dilemma i have in deciding which business school to pick.
so, i just want to hear your opinions on this. :)

Well, first of all, one main difference between two is that NTU's students get to graduate in 3 years and earn 1 extra year of income, compared to NUS' students.

So going to NTU would make more economical sense. I think you would have figured this out!

In terms of curriculum structure, NUS has been known for its academic rigour. And I personally feel that brand image (as mentioned earlier) is stronger. Of course, the location of NUS (once Circle line opens up till Buona Vista) would be a major incentive for me as well! NTU is pretty ulu...

Anyway, a higher chance of getting honours doesn't translate into a better curriculum, right? I am of the same opinion as funk. To me, graduating with honours from NUS seems more prestigious because you have to work for it and prove it with your academics.

That being said, if you can graduate with first class (or even 2nd upper class) honours from either school, I think you are pretty much in safe hands :)

hui
04-29-2011, 10:53 PM
to funktastic & virtualfullstop:

alright! thanks so much for your opinions! :D
cause apparently i have to make a choice between both business schools and i am kinda at a loss right now.

the people whom i have asked gave varying opinions, so i just like to hear from the both of you too!
ohh, and indeed its really true that NUS has a better branding. :)

okay, i would take your opinions into consideration in making my decision.
and all the best in business course in NUS kays!
we would be future course mates if i do accept NUS in the end.

THANKS A LOT ONCE AGAIN! :D

lightgreen
04-30-2011, 10:23 AM
wasai.. i really don't know which uni to choose now.
NUS vs NTU bizz school... sitting on the fence now =p
:confused:
From BBA statistics for the past few years, NUS bizz school has the worst salary and employment rate if u fail to achieve an honour. Highest is SMU followed by NTU.

http://bschool.nus.edu.sg/CareerService/GraduateEmployment/BBAGraduatingClassof2009.aspx

Note that only 15% of NUS students achieve honour degree and 3-4% of NUS students achieve 1st honour. Ladies and gentlemen , take ur risks =)
YA of course if u are confident of getting an honour in NUS , go ahead and choose NUS , becoz u will most likely do better than ur counterparts in NTU&SMU in the future.

Freedom Train
04-30-2011, 02:51 PM
From BBA statistics for the past few years, NUS bizz school has the worst salary and employment rate if u fail to achieve an honour. Highest is SMU followed by NTU.

http://bschool.nus.edu.sg/CareerService/GraduateEmployment/BBAGraduatingClassof2009.aspx

Note that only 15% of NUS students achieve honour degree and 3-4% of NUS students achieve 1st honour. Ladies and gentlemen , take ur risks =)
YA of course if u are confident of getting an honour in NUS , go ahead and choose NUS , becoz u will most likely do better than ur counterparts in NTU&SMU in the future.

Hi lightgreen. Me too, is siting on the fence, deciding between NTU Acc and NUS Biz admin.

One point to note as such:
NUS: 4 years. (Non-direct honours where you have to be invited to do your honours year based on results)

NTU: 3 years (Direct honours, meaning it is a 3 year direct honours course in which you graduate with honours if your grades make the cut at point of graduation.)

In a dillemma......

marcus
05-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Hi! I am very curious how did you get the info that only 15% NUS undergrads take honors?

I am certain that there are much much more than 15% for NUS Business.

marcus
05-01-2011, 09:19 PM
It is not hard to do honors in NUS Business. Most people are able to do it, but many choose not.

A direct honors is not necessarily a good thing. You won't want to graduate with a honors degree that labels it as a 'merit' (aka 3rd class).

So either way, it is the same for NUS or NTU. Screw up your grades, and either you get a valueless honors degree (NTU) or no honors (NUS). No difference in job prospects

Hi lightgreen. Me too, is siting on the fence, deciding between NTU Acc and NUS Biz admin.

One point to note as such:
NUS: 4 years. (Non-direct honours where you have to be invited to do your honours year based on results)

NTU: 3 years (Direct honours, meaning it is a 3 year direct honours course in which you graduate with honours if your grades make the cut at point of graduation.)

In a dillemma......

marcus
05-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Hi Hui,

If you need any other opinions, feel free to PM me. I am a Year 2 business undergrad.

I can understand everyone's dilemma as I was in a similar situation 4 yrs ago :)

to funktastic & virtualfullstop:

alright! thanks so much for your opinions! :D
cause apparently i have to make a choice between both business schools and i am kinda at a loss right now.

the people whom i have asked gave varying opinions, so i just like to hear from the both of you too!
ohh, and indeed its really true that NUS has a better branding. :)

okay, i would take your opinions into consideration in making my decision.
and all the best in business course in NUS kays!
we would be future course mates if i do accept NUS in the end.

THANKS A LOT ONCE AGAIN! :D

lightgreen
05-01-2011, 10:19 PM
OO , i saw it somewhere from the older posts, thought it's true.
Pardon me for not verifying it's reliability =p. srry guys

erm.. so wat is the rough % of ppl in nus business admin who actually got honour.

jgosselin
05-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Hi,
I have to make a decision between NUS and NTU biz.

Can any NUS biz admin students share with me, do you all think you have made the right decision to go NUS?
Judging from the Employment survey, NUS biz has a lower employment rate and starting pay.
Of course, there will be other factors to consider such as school culture, exchange etc.
I would like to ask about NUS exchange. Will all students be entitled to exchange or subjected to results? Must we also source internships by ourselves?
Thanks!

Krauser
05-02-2011, 11:29 AM

erm.. so wat is the rough % of ppl in nus business admin who actually got honour.

Hi I think you can check nus biz school website under faq , its written there. If i did not rmb wrongly, its about halve eligible for it.

marcus
05-02-2011, 04:09 PM
you can read my thread, where i shared about my experiences as a freshmen :)

Hi,
I have to make a decision between NUS and NTU biz.

Can any NUS biz admin students share with me, do you all think you have made the right decision to go NUS?
Judging from the Employment survey, NUS biz has a lower employment rate and starting pay.
Of course, there will be other factors to consider such as school culture, exchange etc.
I would like to ask about NUS exchange. Will all students be entitled to exchange or subjected to results? Must we also source internships by ourselves?
Thanks!

marcus
05-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Hi,

I replied this in another post, so i shall just cut and paste:

CAP > 3.5 = qualify for honors (this approxs to about 60% cohort eligibility)
CAP > 3.5 = 2nd lower
CAP > 4 = 2nd upper
CAP > 4.5 and Thesis above B+ grade = 1st class

This means that around 40% students won't qualify for honors and hence will graduate in 3yrs. To me, doesn't matter if you grad with honors (NTU) or no (NUS) because it is still based on similar standards. You wouldn't want to be in either position.

This means around 60% students qualify for honors. Of which probably 40% will take up the offer, and 20% will choose to graduate (maybe they already found a job). If you take honors, you will graduate in 4 yrs, not 5

lightgreen
05-02-2011, 04:42 PM
so wat are the %s of ppl who will graduate with 1st ,2nd lower and upper honours at the end of 4 years.

marcus
05-03-2011, 07:22 PM
I am just hazarding a guess, and i think it should be pretty similar across unis

1st: 2%
2nd upp: 15-20%
2nd lower: 15-20%
3rd / no honors: 50-60%

so wat are the %s of ppl who will graduate with 1st ,2nd lower and upper honours at the end of 4 years.

lightgreen
05-04-2011, 03:03 PM
high chance of gettin honours but extremely hard to achieve 1st honour =) . Tks alot marcus , ur info has been very helpful!

NakedGlory
05-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Hi all,

I've just been called down for NUS biz DA interview next wednesday, would just like to know whether anyone has went for this before?

If yes,
is it a group interview since in the email they stated it would last 2 hours?
What would you be required to do?
Roughly what qns would they ask?

Any reply would be greatly appreciated :)

NakedGlory
05-05-2011, 05:17 PM
I've also been accepted to SMU and NTU business school. Some things that I'm concerned about -

1. Since my grades are not fantastic enough to grant me direct admissions to NUS business school, does that mean that I'll miss out on better opportunities offered to the students? Such as competitions etc.

2. How are lessons usually conducted in NUS? Lecture/tutorial system like JC? Or more projects based?
I find myself doing better when there are more projects because I'm more people oriented, I can talk a lot and in front of a large group so SMU would seem like a better choice but one huge minus for me is that it doesn't have residence halls - that just detracts from the idea of university life ):

3. What are the chances of obtaining a DDP in 2nd year in NUS - business + mass comm?

4. Do you feel that a NUS business degree is really more prestigious than NTU? In terms of the curriculum is it really stronger than the other 2 schools?

I'm looking to go overseas to UK/US in the future to work in the fashion business, so I would prefer my deg to be recognized overseas.

5. Is it v stressful to be in NUS since I've been told that they consider your grades for everything to determine the internships you get, programmes you can go, competitions, overseas exchanges etc?

THANK YOU! <3

marcus
05-06-2011, 03:34 AM
1. Nope, you will definitely not be disadvantaged. Every student accepted is treated equally and opportunities are based on accomplishments during school term.

2. Lectures, tutorials, class participation, projects, presentations. It is really a mixture. And residence life is great too, if you stay in hall :)

3. It is a good chance as long as you do reasonably well in your first year. They will not look at your A level grades for DDP admission in 2nd year.

4. Prestige is subjective, but if you are talking about international recognition for the university itself, I think the rankings do say quite a bit about NUS. A great plus point, if you are planning to pursue higher education in US / UK.

5. It is the same at NBS and SMU. Both unis also look at grades as part of the criteria, for all of the programs you listed below. Grades are not everything, but they are still very important. How stressful it will be really depends on how well you can manage your studies and other activities.

I've also been accepted to SMU and NTU business school. Some things that I'm concerned about -

1. Since my grades are not fantastic enough to grant me direct admissions to NUS business school, does that mean that I'll miss out on better opportunities offered to the students? Such as competitions etc.

2. How are lessons usually conducted in NUS? Lecture/tutorial system like JC? Or more projects based?
I find myself doing better when there are more projects because I'm more people oriented, I can talk a lot and in front of a large group so SMU would seem like a better choice but one huge minus for me is that it doesn't have residence halls - that just detracts from the idea of university life ):

3. What are the chances of obtaining a DDP in 2nd year in NUS - business + mass comm?

4. Do you feel that a NUS business degree is really more prestigious than NTU? In terms of the curriculum is it really stronger than the other 2 schools?

I'm looking to go overseas to UK/US in the future to work in the fashion business, so I would prefer my deg to be recognized overseas.

5. Is it v stressful to be in NUS since I've been told that they consider your grades for everything to determine the internships you get, programmes you can go, competitions, overseas exchanges etc?

THANK YOU! <3

Krauser
05-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Is it possible to transfer to biz acc after first year?

marcus
05-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Is it possible to transfer to biz acc after first year?

yup! Contingent on grades, cca, etc of course. but not hard

Krauser
05-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Top 10%? The biz club considered cca? What does it do?

NakedGlory
05-06-2011, 10:55 AM
1. Nope, you will definitely not be disadvantaged. Every student accepted is treated equally and opportunities are based on accomplishments during school term.

2. Lectures, tutorials, class participation, projects, presentations. It is really a mixture. And residence life is great too, if you stay in hall :)

3. It is a good chance as long as you do reasonably well in your first year. They will not look at your A level grades for DDP admission in 2nd year.

4. Prestige is subjective, but if you are talking about international recognition for the university itself, I think the rankings do say quite a bit about NUS. A great plus point, if you are planning to pursue higher education in US / UK.

5. It is the same at NBS and SMU. Both unis also look at grades as part of the criteria, for all of the programs you listed below. Grades are not everything, but they are still very important. How stressful it will be really depends on how well you can manage your studies and other activities.

Thank you Marcus!

For curriculum at NUS, would you say it's more lectures/tutorial like JC or there would be seminars discussions, presentations and projects? Because I would greatly prefer the latter :)

What is your take on the other 2 business schools in sg? Would it be more sensible to take a course at NTU since their biz school is supposedly "the top" in singapore due to its long history?

And the fact that it only takes 3 years to graduate and with honours almost guaranteed while NUS hons depends on your grades in 3rd year?

Oh and in which year can we choose to specialize in a major?
If I don't get DDP I can still choose to 2nd major in mass comms right?

Thank you and sorry I'm bombarding you with so many qns :x

jayax
05-06-2011, 03:22 PM
I've been following this thread for a couple months now. As a final yr student, perhaps i can help to quell some common misconceptions and contribute my views, especially with regards to employment opportunities etc. Hope this helps in your decision making.

FAQ (2011)

Q1. What value does an honours degree in business hold for me?

Before making any judgement calls, always ask yourself what an honours degree in business can do for you, and why you would want to pursue it in the first place.

Employment-wise, most structured graduate programs offered by the major foreign banks (RBS, BoA/Merril, DB, CS, UBS etc) and the more prestigious marketing/consultancy firms require at least a second-upper honours from their applicants. For the benefit of those of those who haven’t a foggiest what a structured program is, it’s a fast(er) track management training program for fresh graduates that rotates you around the company/bank, and usually comes with higher pay and promotion opportunities, albeit always subject to work performance of course. These are by and large the people whom a company/bank targets to fill future leadership positions. An example can be found here: http://www2.goldmansachs.com/careers/our-firm/divisions/operations/positions/new-analyst.html

Having said that, an honours degree is not always strictly necessary for entrance into these programs, as I have personally heard of a few cases where exceptional applicants are offered jobs in their penultimate year in prestigious institutions. These people usually excel academically though, and more importantly, possess exceptional skills and qualities and/or have already distinguished themselves to the institution to the degree that it is understood they would have achieved at least a 2nd upper if they had chosen to complete their honours year. Thus, in this light, reading honours year can be seen to be optional if you view yourself (and employers view you) as part of this category.

If you’re thinking of starting work in the Public sector (eg MAS), then a 2:1 honours is usually a pre-requisite for acceptance.

Note that 2:1 honours usually comprises, on average, about 15% of a matriculating cohort in NUS business, while 1:1 honours usually makes up a mere 4-5%.

If you find yourself among the 2:2 honours graduating cohort, there is no need to be terribly worried either since the upper-mid-range institutions hire from this range as well for their structured programs. The majority of honours graduates from all 3 universities’ business faculties fall within this category.

If you are a third class honours holder, then (from what I’ve heard) you would have been better off not doing an honours degree at all as it does not reflect very well on you academically. The information in the next paragraph would better apply to you.

If you graduate without an honours degree, depending on your CAP, it is still very possible to find good employment in a very wide range of jobs, from HR/management to logistics etc in almost every industry. A business degree is ultimately a general degree, and as such can be used for employment almost everywhere.

At the end of the day, while academics do play a somewhat important part in landing a good first job, do keep in mind that ultimately it is your work ethic, personality, skill and performance that will set you apart from your peers, and these are probably better correlation factors for predicting long-term career success than pure academic results alone. Having said that, take note that there are many people who do well academically who possess the above traits as well.

Q2. Reading Honours at NUS is contingent on grades (CAP > 3.5) while NTU offers a direct honours system. Since NUS is a 4-year course and NTU’s is 3 years, why would anyone choose NUS over the latter?

One major distinguishing factor would the brand name. Having participated in the student exchange program and studied in a foreign university/ lived in a foreign land for the better part of a year, I am of the opinion that the NUS brand does pull more weight internationally, among academics, employers, and the collective international consciousness, and is more well-known/visible than the other 2 local unis. I’m saying this as a matter of fact, and am not implying that NUS is intrinsically ‘better’ than SMU/NTU.

This advantage may be simply be due to the fact that NUS has been around for a longer time than the other two unis, thus giving it a significant first-mover advantage. To better illustrate this logic, consider how NUS Law and SMU Law measure against each other when the latter has not had a very long time to build up its brand or reputation. In addition, NUS was (and is) a research university, and thus has had a good 30-year or so lead in which to flood international mainstream research journals with articles published by its academics, thus contributing to better international brand awareness.

Having said that, local employers do not discriminate much between the three local unis as all three are known locally for churning out good quality graduates. However, if part of your aspirations (or possible future career routes) include working overseas or being hired by foreign employers, the brand name advantage alone may help in securing that first interview (after which your interview skills etc would come into play). Lastly, it is probable that as the other two universities churn out more and more graduates who work overseas, over time, brand recognition for NTU/SMU may reach the point of equivalency, but I think I can safely say that that is not yet the case as of this point in time.

Another factor would be furthering your studies on a graduate level. Most quality American MBA programs (NYU Stern, Uni Penn Wharton etc) prefer (if not outright require) a 4-year undergraduate program in their applicants ( http://www.mbaonlineprograms.net/mba-news-feed/eligibility-requirements-for-international-mba-students.html ) so if you’re planning on furthering your studies at a quality MBA program, a 3-year direct honours degree may not be the best choice. This is an especially relevant factor given the increasing requirements for an MBA to be promoted into top management positions in many institutions. For many, this may be the most important reason for choosing a 4-year program over a 3-year one, since it does have a very real and direct impact on your access to quality post-graduate education, and by extension, your future career trajectory.

After taking into consideration the added value of a good MBA, it may actually more than make up for the one-year's pay advantage that NTU grads enjoy in their 1st yr, especially since pay raises tend to be non-linear and scale better at senior managerial positions, vis junior positions. For eg, a 5% annual increase when at 10,000/month translates to a larger absolute amount than a 5% increase when you're earning 2800/m, and the real percentage increase when you're senior management tends to be higher as well due to larger accumulated bonuses (which are calculated on a monthly pay basis, eg 5 month's bonus etc). If you were to do a simple time value calculation with a modest discount (reinvestment) rate of 4% p.a, you will find that the break even point tends to be around just under ~8-9 years after you start working, after which you would be increasingly better off. I'm sorry if i'm getting too technical here, but i'm trying to use calculation to show how a short-term 1 year salary lead may not necessarily translate to making you better off in the long run.

Lastly, from personal experience, an accelerated undergraduate program (ie, 3 years) may not always be in your best interests if you’re intending to major in a technical specialisation such as finance.
The NUS curriculum requires 6 different modules/topics in finance that give you good breadth and depth / good working knowledge of almost every field of finance, enabling you to better experience and decide which field you enjoy the most and would want to work for in the future. I would say that this is one of the strengths of the NUS curriculum, as (speaking from first-hand experience) content learned in academic finance is usually also content that can be applied on-the-job, and which employers appreciate. Accelerating this content into a 3-year course may be suitable for some people, but overall I am of the opinion that for the average person it is well worth tackling the topic at a manageable pace in order to achieve both breadth and depth, which are ultimately value-added elements.

Q3. NTU published a ranking that ranks it higher than NUS, does that mean it is better?

As with all rankings, it is good to keep some perspective, such as which organisation does the ranking etc. Both NUS/NTU business schools tend to publish rankings that place them above each other on that particular ranking scale by that particular ranking organisation, and since it is not feasible nor accurate to count the number of superior rankings each school has achieved by numerous organisations (NUS has more anyway due to its MBA program) as a measure of the school’s quality, this point may not be a very good way to compare them. For an example of what I mean, click on the ranking links below:

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/national-university-of-singapore
http://www.nbs.ntu.edu.sg/Corporate/Pages/accreditation.aspx

Conclusion

I’ve tried to be as fair and objective as I can in this post, and have prefaced (or suffixed) which parts are my personal opinion and which parts are regarded as fact. I hope that this helps future applicants in their decision making process, and finally lays to rest the perennial 3-year direct honours vs 4-year optional honours quandary.

NakedGlory
05-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Hi jayax,

Thank you for that detailed analysis and comparison between the 3 business schools in Singapore. That has just strengthened my wanting to get into NUS so I hope I fare reasonably well for the discretionary admins interview next wed!

Do you happen to have any friends that got in via DA? Any idea what would be asked during the interview so that I can at least mentally prepare myself? :)

Oh and I would also like to find out whether a marketing major would be have promising career prospects because my parents hold the belief that marketing is too broad and general; unlike finance and accounting that is actually more involves more technicalities. My mum especially is very against me going for marketing major as she has read that ppl from engineering or even a level grads can become marketing executives, thereby giving me more competition in an already small market like sg.

Is that really true?

jayax
05-07-2011, 03:06 AM
Hi jayax,

Thank you for that detailed analysis and comparison between the 3 business schools in Singapore. That has just strengthened my wanting to get into NUS so I hope I fare reasonably well for the discretionary admins interview next wed!

Do you happen to have any friends that got in via DA? Any idea what would be asked during the interview so that I can at least mentally prepare myself? :)

Oh and I would also like to find out whether a marketing major would be have promising career prospects because my parents hold the belief that marketing is too broad and general; unlike finance and accounting that is actually more involves more technicalities. My mum especially is very against me going for marketing major as she has read that ppl from engineering or even a level grads can become marketing executives, thereby giving me more competition in an already small market like sg.

Is that really true?

I have 2 friends who got in via DA. From what they've told me, it seems to be a simple personality/potential assessment fit - questions about their CCAs, interests, hobbies etc that give the interviewers a good picture of your feasibility as a candidate. Reading up on current affairs would help, as would thinking through a personal statement for introducing yourself.

As for your second question, it depends. What your mom said is true, not just for marketing/mgmt, but for ops, finance, and accounting as well. Engin grads in particular are more than able to work in the field of finance, and many choose to do so.

I would say that what's more important is finding your passion/area of interest, because interest (in general) tends to be positively correlated with academic/work performance. Think about it this way - if you're good at what you do, no one will care what your first degree is, as long as you perform. And if you perform exceedingly well, you will probably not be out of a job.

lightgreen
05-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Just got back from nus bizz masterclass ,yes it is true that if u plan to pursue a career or further ur studies in overseas ,ntu 's 3 year honour programme is a disadvantage to it's students especially for countries like US. This is becoz US prefer oversea students to have at least 14 years of education before doing their mba.

Krauser
05-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Just got back from nus bizz masterclass ,yes it is true that if u plan to pursue a career or further ur studies in overseas ,ntu 's 3 year honour programme is a disadvantage to it's students especially for countries like US. This is becoz US prefer oversea students to have at least 14 years of education before doing their mba.

So how was the masterclass? Are you choosing nus after the masterclass?

lightgreen
05-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Which translate to 6 years of primay,4 years of secondary , 2 years of jc and 4 years of uni ... OOPs srry, it's 16 years !! Sorry about it .=(

However , the keyword is "prefer", there will always have exceptions each year from ntu who manage to secure admissions into prestigious mba schools. If u think u re capable of achieving it academically, forget about wat i have said earlier coz it does not apply to ELITES.

lightgreen
05-07-2011, 10:01 PM
yes , the speakers are really persuasive, food is nice,atmosphere is gd. A bit subjective i guess.

NakedGlory
05-08-2011, 01:31 PM
I have 2 friends who got in via DA. From what they've told me, it seems to be a simple personality/potential assessment fit - questions about their CCAs, interests, hobbies etc that give the interviewers a good picture of your feasibility as a candidate. Reading up on current affairs would help, as would thinking through a personal statement for introducing yourself.

As for your second question, it depends. What your mom said is true, not just for marketing/mgmt, but for ops, finance, and accounting as well. Engin grads in particular are more than able to work in the field of finance, and many choose to do so.

I would say that what's more important is finding your passion/area of interest, because interest (in general) tends to be positively correlated with academic/work performance. Think about it this way - if you're good at what you do, no one will care what your first degree is, as long as you perform. And if you perform exceedingly well, you will probably not be out of a job.

Yup that's true. I would like to go into fashion marketing and fashion PR in the future cos I have a strong passion in fashion; I'm currently a fashion blogger :)

I don't know how feasible my dream is though...hopefully singapore has a reasonable number of companies that has this position open...

nusbizcamp2011
05-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Hi all potential NUS bizad freshmen,

The NUS Business Camp Committee invites you to join THE CAMP OF YOUR LIFETIME! :D

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/colouredbuttcheeks/greekposter2.jpg

For more details,
please visit http://bizadfoc2011.livejournal.com

and if you wish to sign up right away, please go to https://spreadsheets.google.com/embeddedform?formkey=dENMVGZQQWxoSEVXUFpOY2N4RVRzL UE6MQ

su_et
05-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Yup that's true. I would like to go into fashion marketing and fashion PR in the future cos I have a strong passion in fashion; I'm currently a fashion blogger :)

I don't know how feasible my dream is though...hopefully singapore has a reasonable number of companies that has this position open...

Why not consider nafa or laselle's fashion marketing/ communications degree. Honestly speaking, this degree would not be an advantage to those wanting to pursue a career in the fashion industry. The NUS bba degree programme is really general and not really what many fashion companies are looking for.

lightgreen
05-10-2011, 10:02 PM
I juz accepted NUS bizz admin in the joint admission portal but when i logged into the portal again , i am given the choice to also accept NTU accountancy. Is it possible to accept both courses from the 2 unis and turn down 1 of them before my admission?

hui
05-11-2011, 08:32 AM
I juz accepted NUS bizz admin in the joint admission portal but when i logged into the portal again , i am given the choice to also accept NTU accountancy. Is it possible to accept both courses from the 2 unis and turn down 1 of them before my admission?

i honestly doubt so. you can only accept one offer and for the other offer which you didnt accept, it would be taken as that you are rejecting that offer.

daph
05-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Hi guys, I just received a call ytd from the biz faculty telling me I've been shortlisted for their NUS Biz Scholarship. But the funny thing is, I haven't received any offers yet. I put accountancy as my 3rd choice but my uas portal indicates that my appl is still processing. =S
Does this mean I'm accepted into biz school and rejected from my first 2 choices (Med and Dent) alrdy? :confused: Tried calling the faculty back but no one picked up, emailed them and they gave a vague reply saying they can't disclose such info. Zzzzz.

average
05-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Hi guys, I just received a call ytd from the biz faculty telling me I've been shortlisted for their NUS Biz Scholarship. But the funny thing is, I haven't received any offers yet. I put accountancy as my 3rd choice but my uas portal indicates that my appl is still processing. =S
Does this mean I'm accepted into biz school and rejected from my first 2 choices (Med and Dent) alrdy? :confused: Tried calling the faculty back but no one picked up, emailed them and they gave a vague reply saying they can't disclose such info. Zzzzz.

Finally found someone in the same situation. Mine is still processing, and the biz faculty gave me a call for the scholarship already. Guess it means that I was rejected for my first choice (law)..

Anyway when is your interview? Anybody going on 16th May? :o

daph
05-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Oh, looks like we're in the same boat haha. My interview's tmr!
Did you apply for DDP too? I'm guessing that they're taking a longer time to process since DDP has stricter requirements?

tiramisu
05-12-2011, 11:55 AM
im also in the same situation as both of you! @daph: my interview's tomorrow too! what time is your interview?

oh and does anyone know how the interview is going to be like? :/

daph
05-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Oh my interview's at 1.15pm! How abt yrs? (: Well, I searched thru the forum and found this thread, which gives a glimpse of how it's gonna be like: http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=3164
Good luck for the interview!!

tiramisu
05-12-2011, 04:24 PM
mine's at 12.15! and thanks for the link (: good luck for yours too! :D

jerms
05-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Hello,

I like to seek help and opinions from any seniors or alumni about nus bba (acc) or nus bba

1. Generally, How is life being a nus bba student? (eg. hall life, the modules schedules, teaching style)

2. Does nus bba (acc) have the same flexibility as ntu to allow students to be offered a 2nd spec? (eg. finance or marketing) Or do i need to bid them?

3. How well does the career services in nus prepare students to get internships? (of course, you need to take initiative to impress your interviewers so skip this part)

4. Can we choose when to do the modules to balance our schedule? cos ntu allows that to happen. so im wondering nus does allows too.

I don't want a brief answer so please elaborate and answer honestly. i'm sure many others out there are still in a dilemma to consider which uni to go to. so thanks a lot!

Claire
05-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Hmmm... my friends and parents have been encouraging me to do Business Admin for degree... And i guess it's a popular and useful course but somehow I always felt that Business Admin course is more suitable at Masters Level?

Because, to really integrate and apply business concepts, you have to HAVE something in mind that you want to sell right, some goods or services you want to provide for the society? If you know what it is that you want to sell, then studying BA becomes meaningful. Otherwise, it's just textbook concepts right?

Need some sound advice on this. Thanks (:

llyl
05-25-2011, 11:52 AM
hello! just to ask, if i take up the nus business admin course, what kind of career options will i have after i graduate either with or without honours? Will i be able to work in the banking and finance sector(such banks etc..)? Cos people i know associate business courses with entrepreneurship, and asks me if i m planning to start a business next time but that's not my plan.:(

i m also trying to appeal to biz(acc) while accepting biz(which is highly unlikely cos i didnt make the cut for acc), but if i do get in biz(acc), do i still have a chance of working in banking sector, like not being an accountant? thanks in advance! (:

Krauser
05-25-2011, 11:55 AM
hello! just to ask, if i take up the nus business admin course, what kind of career options will i have after i graduate either with or without honours? Will i be able to work in the banking and finance sector(such banks etc..)? Cos people i know associate business courses with entrepreneurship, and asks me if i m planning to start a business next time but that's not my plan.:(

i m also trying to appeal to biz(acc) while accepting biz(which is highly unlikely cos i didnt make the cut for acc), but if i do get in biz(acc), do i still have a chance of working in banking sector, like not being an accountant? thanks in advance! (:

Whats your result like? I think there are plenty info available in business threads. Go check it out:)

MUDAC
05-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Will i be able to work in the banking and finance sector(such banks etc..)?

yes, in fact, many many NUS business grads end up working in b&f sector. do note that having a business degree is usually not a pre-requisite to work in banking and finance. I've seen arts grads and engineering grads who made it in too.

i m also trying to appeal to biz(acc) while accepting biz(which is highly unlikely cos i didnt make the cut for acc), but if i do get in biz(acc), do i still have a chance of working in banking sector, like not being an accountant?

yes definitely. you can consider doing professional certificates like ACCA/CPA on top of your business degree if you don't get into NUS accountancy. in fact, most accountancy grads do NOT become accountants. while many start off doing auditing at the big 4, most leave for finance-related jobs after a couple of years.

nusbizcamp2011
05-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Hi everyone!

This is just a gentle reminder that the NUS Business Camp 2011 is closing on 10th June 2011!

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/colouredbuttcheeks/greekposter2.jpg

Kindly visit bizadfoc2011.livejournal.com for more details!

marcus
05-29-2011, 05:49 AM
that is quite applicable in the US, but less so here. there is no perfect way to apply what you have learnt, but ccas & internships are good starting points

Hmmm... my friends and parents have been encouraging me to do Business Admin for degree... And i guess it's a popular and useful course but somehow I always felt that Business Admin course is more suitable at Masters Level?

Because, to really integrate and apply business concepts, you have to HAVE something in mind that you want to sell right, some goods or services you want to provide for the society? If you know what it is that you want to sell, then studying BA becomes meaningful. Otherwise, it's just textbook concepts right?

Need some sound advice on this. Thanks (:

marcus
05-29-2011, 05:54 AM
1) You could read my thread for some insights

2) You need to bid, but you will definitely have no trouble doing a 2nd major. Our course is 4yrs (for honors), so there is even more flexibility to do an extra major

3) we have our dedicated career service office. you can read my thread again. they do a lot of work, but it really boils down to the effort you put in

4) definitely

Hello,

I like to seek help and opinions from any seniors or alumni about nus bba (acc) or nus bba

1. Generally, How is life being a nus bba student? (eg. hall life, the modules schedules, teaching style)

2. Does nus bba (acc) have the same flexibility as ntu to allow students to be offered a 2nd spec? (eg. finance or marketing) Or do i need to bid them?

3. How well does the career services in nus prepare students to get internships? (of course, you need to take initiative to impress your interviewers so skip this part)

4. Can we choose when to do the modules to balance our schedule? cos ntu allows that to happen. so im wondering nus does allows too.

I don't want a brief answer so please elaborate and answer honestly. i'm sure many others out there are still in a dilemma to consider which uni to go to. so thanks a lot!

Claire
05-30-2011, 10:05 PM
that is quite applicable in the US, but less so here. there is no perfect way to apply what you have learnt, but ccas & internships are good starting points

Kays. Read some of your threads too. (: Thanks for the info!

kimmyannetan
06-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Hey there. I know this probably sounds really kiasu and all, but is there a way to see which modules you have to take to graduate with which major? I went for the Biz School Dean's Talk and one of the ambassadors told me to look for "requisite modules" but it's pretty confusing. Like, if I take the modules that the Finance department offers, I'll graduate with a major in Finance? I'm completely new to this and I don't know anyone in a local uni right now... :(

Also... Any advice on Advance Placement Tests? Should I sit for the test for the modules that I don't wanna take in uni, e.g. accounting, so that I can skip them and not waste time, or should I sit for the ones that I want to take / graduate with, e.g. finance, so that I can start taking the more advanced modules sooner? The point of AP is theoretically to 'graduate sooner', quoting the letter I was given... Help! :confused:

Krauser
06-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Anyone going for the advanced placement modules test? I don't know whether to register.