PDA

View Full Version : Rice in US or NUS double-degree with scholarship?

wheelz
05-18-2009, 02:24 PM
It's decision time and I'm very troubled over this.

On one side it's NUS double-degree in Industrial Systems Engineering and Business, with a scholarship that covers my tuition fees, and annual allowance. Six-year bond with any Singapore-registered company.

On the other side is Rice. I have a full tuition scholarship which means I've got to pay about 15k-18k US dollars a year for food/accommodation/other living expenses.

Cost here is less of a concern as to job. I want to come back to Singapore to work. In view of that fact that I want to come back, which uni should I choose?

Any comment will be appreciated, thanks.

yanshuo
05-18-2009, 02:51 PM
It's decision time and I'm very troubled over this.

On one side it's NUS double-degree in Industrial Systems Engineering and Business, with a scholarship that covers my tuition fees, and annual allowance. Six-year bond with any Singapore-registered company.

On the other side is Rice. I have a full tuition scholarship which means I've got to pay about 15k-18k US dollars a year for food/accommodation/other living expenses.

Cost here is less of a concern as to job. I want to come back to Singapore to work. In view of that fact that I want to come back, which uni should I choose?

Any comment will be appreciated, thanks.

I would strongly suggest that you go for Rice. If cost is not an issue for you, by all means do NOT get a scholarship and be stuck with a single option. If you are talented enough to be accepted to Rice, you should not have any problems finding a job of the same calibre as that which the scholarship provider is offering you.

Furthermore, you have a full-tuition scholarship. That's already worth around S$200k. Are you going to turn that down for a local scholarship that is worth at most S$80k and bonds you for 6 years?

wheelz
05-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Thank you for the comment!

I'd love to go for Rice too for an overseas experience. But I'm worried that I may be disadvantaged when I come back to work in Singapore because I'm unlikely to get any intern in Singapore during the four years. And an internship is very important for getting employement in the future...

Will my studying overseas be an issue at all?

LockT31W
05-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Hi wheelz, which local scholarship are you under?

IF I'm not wrong, a NUS double degree would take you 5 years to complete. IN that same amount of time spent overseas, if you're worried about Rice's name recognition, you could always go for a Masters at a place like Harvard in your 5th year. Same amount of time spent. If you're worried about the cost, then you could finish Rice in 3 years and go for Masters elsewhere in your 4th year. Check to see if you could work as a Teaching Assistant to undergraduates while you're doing your Masters, it'd help the cost.

wheelz
05-18-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm offered a scholarship by NUS.

Thanks for your advice, Lock31W!

wheelz
05-18-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm offered a scholarship by NUS.

Thanks for your advice, Lock31W!

yanshuo
05-19-2009, 10:14 AM

My bad, I took this to mean a single company. It's not such a bad deal if you have been offered an NUS scholarship, since you still have the flexibility to choose which organisation to work for. This makes both options comparable, but I still feel that going for Rice is better because of (1) Overseas experience (2) Flexibility.

You probably know what is at stake for (1), so let me move on to (2).

Even if you are absolutely sure right now that you want to study Engineering and Business, and later start a career in these fields, you cannot rule out the possibility that your interests may change. In university, you may find that these subjects are not what you expected, or you may discover new latent talents and even greater interests.

If such an epiphany strikes you when you are studying locally, then it's too late - you're stuck in whatever course you are currently taking, whereas if you were to study in US, you will still be able to change your plans. The importance of keeping your options open cannot be understated, especially at our age, when we barely understand what we're in for.

Also, I would not worry about losing out on job opportunities locally. If you want to do an internship, there is no stopping you from taking up one after coming back to Singapore. On the other hand, having studied overseas at a prestigious university will make you unique amongst job applicants. Furthermore, if you were to change your mind and decide to work in the US after graduation, you will find that there are plenty of opportunities there for you to get a career headstart over your NUS counterparts.

ifione
05-23-2009, 01:24 PM
I have a friend who is bonded with Govt scholarship and he breaks his bond as soon as he can afford it. Ops. Think for you to get such a scholarship in oversea, you should not be worry about getting intern in Singapore. With your backing, I am sure you will find one.(dun worry about such small matter, really) You should look beyond graduation whether with local uni bonded 6 years! or oversea free to roam where you want. So have you made the decision?

Cheers,
Michael Sim
http://ifione.wordpress.com