PDA

View Full Version : NUS Life Sciences '09

camp_22
05-19-2009, 12:28 AM
thought it'd be nice to see who else is going in for Life Sciences this year :D
any of y'all planning to go for the FOS orientation camp?

rnt
05-19-2009, 12:46 AM
thought it'd be nice to see who else is going in for Life Sciences this year :D
any of y'all planning to go for the FOS orientation camp?

hey when's the fos orientation camp?

camp_22
05-19-2009, 12:49 AM
hey when's the fos orientation camp?

29th July to 3rd or 8th Aug. can't remember which. considering attending? :D

rnt
05-19-2009, 12:57 AM
29th July to 3rd or 8th Aug. can't remember which. considering attending? :D

yup! but is there a registration for tht? haha oh yeah and im intending on doing life science

camp_22
05-19-2009, 01:14 AM
yeah i was looking for info regarding registration too, but couldn't find anywhere. checked their website too <_<

maybe all FOS people are eligible? i dunno :(

ahhhh good to know i'm not the only forum-er going for life sciences :D

amuletheart
05-23-2009, 04:51 PM
yeah i was looking for info regarding registration too, but couldn't find anywhere. checked their website too <_<

maybe all FOS people are eligible? i dunno :(

ahhhh good to know i'm not the only forum-er going for life sciences :D

*waves* yup! life science for me too.. i want to go for science camp? anyone going? the july one

camp_22
05-23-2009, 05:54 PM
*waves* yup! life science for me too.. i want to go for science camp? anyone going? the july one

*waves back* yep i think rnt is keen too. the rest dunno :confused: i know quite a few non-forumers who are going though.

the problem is with NUS and specifically whoever is organising the FOS camp la. there is no info available ANYWHERE (ie in their brochure or online) regarding registration for the camp. Right now i'm working on the assumption that all FOS people are automatically registered :o

camp_22
05-23-2009, 06:04 PM
I found info regarding FOS camp!!!

http://sow09.bravehost.com/home.htm

http://sciclub.nus.edu.sg/FOPsow.html

:D signing up now

EDIT: cost is $48.

applesandyou
05-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Hello! I got accepted into NUS FoS too! :D Actually I'm quite excited about getting to know my future-batchmates here! Except for the fact that I'm actually still thinking if I wanna appeal, to like, pharmacy? Anybody able to provide some advice on that? What are the chances of my appeal being successful? Cause I'm actually very interested in drugs & pharmaceutical stuff, but not very optimistic about the future job prospects..like I don't really wna be dispensing medicine at the counter y'know. Hmm. & what kind of jobs can we take up after graduating from life sciences? Besides being a researcher & teacher? :confused:

camp_22
05-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Hello! I got accepted into NUS FoS too! :D Actually I'm quite excited about getting to know my future-batchmates here! Except for the fact that I'm actually still thinking if I wanna appeal, to like, pharmacy? Anybody able to provide some advice on that? What are the chances of my appeal being successful? Cause I'm actually very interested in drugs & pharmaceutical stuff, but not very optimistic about the future job prospects..like I don't really wna be dispensing medicine at the counter y'know. Hmm. & what kind of jobs can we take up after graduating from life sciences? Besides being a researcher & teacher? :confused:

:D i think the rest are all dead/off the forum for now but anyway:

life sciences is actually quite open-ended la. being quite a general degree as opposed to a specific one(think med law) you have a very wide range of options. quite a few people even venture into non-science fields. some, like me, plan on doing med postgrad, which is again another career opportunity.

as for appeals, i don't think there's any HARM in doing so but pharm is extremely competitive and has a really tiny cohort. And i dunno if pharm has interviews and stuff but if it does then you're not allowed to appeal (only non-interview types allow appeals if you haven't done the interview)

justmyluck
05-28-2009, 08:44 AM
i finally accepted my nus as my final choice & sent in form P woohoo!!
now still figuring if i cld take up food or life sci... :confused:

btw SCAMP is for ALL science students or split according to the major u're taking?

dont think i wanna go for camp... outcast :(

applesandyou
05-28-2009, 11:04 PM
:D i think the rest are all dead/off the forum for now but anyway:

life sciences is actually quite open-ended la. being quite a general degree as opposed to a specific one(think med law) you have a very wide range of options. quite a few people even venture into non-science fields. some, like me, plan on doing med postgrad, which is again another career opportunity.

as for appeals, i don't think there's any HARM in doing so but pharm is extremely competitive and has a really tiny cohort. And i dunno if pharm has interviews and stuff but if it does then you're not allowed to appeal (only non-interview types allow appeals if you haven't done the interview)

Ohh the part about doing med postgrad, how well do you have to do in order to be considered for that? ><

camp_22
05-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Ohh the part about doing med postgrad, how well do you have to do in order to be considered for that? ><

really depends where you wanna do la. If you wanna go Duke-NUS, probably like cohort's top 10% or more :( cos its 50 places only and quite competitive. Postgrad MBBS's in UK, Aus are definitely more forgiving, and if you do quite well in life sciences can sometimes (SOMETIMES: like with a lotta luck) get schols also :)

also i heard something about being able (if you maintain a 5.0 CAP) to transfer into med after sem 1 :)

redwhitebrown
06-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Yippee I'm planning on going to the FOS Orientation camp too!! Anyone know where we're staying?

redwhitebrown
06-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Oh silly me I suppose in our halls or residences pfft I just read we can check in from the 27th onwards (int'l students). Sorry

camp_22
06-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Oh silly me I suppose in our halls or residences pfft I just read we can check in from the 27th onwards (int'l students). Sorry

yep:D or earlier also

irongrip
06-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Ah so I have finally found the Life Science thread you mentioned here camp_22 lol!

Anyway, i'm admitting to this year's Life Science course. I just finished my army and from poly batch lah! HAHA :D

maybe can get to know rnt, apple, camp22 before the camp date? :)
i'm only one admitting from my poly

rnt
06-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Ah so I have finally found the Life Science thread you mentioned here camp_22 lol!

Anyway, i'm admitting to this year's Life Science course. I just finished my army and from poly batch lah! HAHA :D

maybe can get to know rnt, apple, camp22 before the camp date? :)
i'm only one admitting from my poly

*waves* haha hello!!!!! are u going for sow too??

irongrip
06-26-2009, 12:50 PM
*waves* haha hello!!!!! are u going for sow too??

hah yeap. i will be going. looking for a friend along too. keen boh?

haha!

camp_22
06-26-2009, 05:07 PM
hah yeap. i will be going. looking for a friend along too. keen boh?

haha!

eh i also got only one non-forum friend in life science also leh :(

irongrip
06-26-2009, 07:20 PM
eh i also got only one non-forum friend in life science also leh :(

haha can can. eh camp, u drop me ur email in PM can? :)

i only going for the Science orientation week. busy for the camp :o

camp_22
06-27-2009, 01:32 AM
haha can can. eh camp, u drop me ur email in PM can? :)

i only going for the Science orientation week. busy for the camp :o

email also got two >_> so far <_<
ok i'll send you the non-junk one

irongrip
07-20-2009, 01:50 AM
anyone know if Polytechnic students need take General Biology?

If we need take, how we going to take the other Level 1 modules? Other semester? confusing siah

xin
07-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Any idea if poly students still need to declare their major even though they are alr given their major?

Thanks

irongrip
07-27-2009, 12:26 AM
i think you need to :)

xin entering Science oso? which major?

xin
08-03-2009, 12:19 AM
yup. i m takin life sci

irongrip
08-03-2009, 12:53 PM
yup. i m takin life sci

Okay! same here too.. i Drop you a private msg. Do tak e a look :)

jimjoker1
08-03-2009, 03:49 PM
is it necessary to have GCE 'A' Level Biology to get into Life Sciences?

irongrip
08-03-2009, 04:39 PM
is it necessary to have GCE 'A' Level Biology to get into Life Sciences?

Don't need. Can take LSM1301 General Biology as your pre-requisite.