PDA

View Full Version : QET test

violet28
06-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Hi, may I ask if people who have taken qet b4? Is it difficult or easy? I only have a sample paper in hand, so Im nt really sure what about the previous years? If anyone has other papers, mind sharing it here? Or where can we get it? If there are answers will be better.. Thx.. May I know where to find the answers for e comprehension in e sample paper? E article taken online has been removed.. Thx alot for ur help.. =)

svpam_ms
06-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Last time my friend had to take a QET test. According to him, there are different bands. You need to score a certain band grade in order to avoid the additional english modules you might have to take during the normal semesters. For those below a certain grade, take one extra module, for some others (who faired badly, will have to take two additional modules). And these modules will not count towards your CAP score which is a utter waste of time according to my friend. (It kinds of spoil your semester time-table and because of that it affects your other modules.

As for the requirements of the paper, I am not sure about that, perhaps you can check out the NUS website. But year in year out, the exam papers will change topic, so even if you have the answers its kind of pointless to use it as practice. Overall, I guess if you have improved your foundation in GP/English, you will not have a problem passing QET.

My friend told me its a test to see if you can write an essay, thats like the main gauge. If you are the kind to memorise essays and go into the exam hall, then you might be in danger.

Anyway which faculty are you undertaking the QET from?

cleanerdung
06-13-2009, 11:39 AM
If you need to brush up on the basics, you can start with this NUS guide:

The Write Right Guide
http://www.cdtl.nus.edu.sg/wrg/default.htm

svpam_ms
06-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Alternatively you can borrow some guidebooks aid in your preparation. But nothing beats reading. ;)

BizBoy
06-14-2009, 01:56 AM
Hi, I have to take it too.. Let's start working on it~

violet28
06-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Hi, thanks all for ur contributions! :) Im taking it under fass.. I will go dig up all my gp readings.. Jia you to pple taking it too.. =)

svpam_ms
06-14-2009, 12:38 PM
If you are worried, do some preparatory work first.

But don't expect to pass this QET with GP materials, you have to give something of higher standard.

violet28
06-15-2009, 11:24 AM
May I know what do u mean by "higher standard"? Is it the way I argue, for example I present others' views first and explain how it may work, then I retort their views and give my reasoning (why their views fail). Is this considered?

jellybean
06-15-2009, 11:27 AM
May I know what do u mean by "higher standard"? Is it the way I argue, for example I present others' views first and explain how it may work, then I retort their views and give my reasoning (why their views fail). Is this considered?
that sounds like GP haha. i have to take QET as well T_T

agnes
06-15-2009, 11:46 AM
the QET test format is rather standard, your sample paper is taken from NUS right? if so, that should be a good gauge for you.

from what i've heard, QET isn't that difficult, so your probably don't have to be so worried. and the essays aren't necessarily argumentative either.

good luck! :D

svpam_ms
06-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Indeed the QET test is not tough, but still there are many who do not pass it the first time.

The higher standard they are looking for is the maturity of your argument, the grammar used, spelling and etc. If you are planning on writing a narrative essay, then I dont think its going to make a cut.

According to my friend, there is a section which requires you to correct mistakes in a paragraph.

But the essay portion takes the bulk of the marks.

violet28
06-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Im used to writing argumentative essays haha..

jellybean
06-16-2009, 12:54 PM
it should be argumentative. the essay question is fixed, so whatever the question comes out, it will determine what kind of essay you should be writing what.

svpam_ms
06-16-2009, 05:04 PM
it should be argumentative. the essay question is fixed, so whatever the question comes out, it will determine what kind of essay you should be writing what.

It is an argumentative essay, but according to my friend, people have a tendency to turn it into a narrative or descriptive essay instead. :eek:

violet28
06-17-2009, 11:03 AM
It is an argumentative essay, but according to my friend, people have a tendency to turn it into a narrative or descriptive essay instead. :eek:

Really? I wonder how is it possible, when we have being writing argumentative for so many years..

svpam_ms
06-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Well I guess its possible, otherwise there will not be people taking QET. ;)

amuletheart
07-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Do you need to take QET if you have a C for GP?

ripepumpkin
07-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Do you need to take QET if you have a C for GP?

nope! :) minimum grade is C!

amuletheart
07-08-2009, 11:34 AM
nope! :) minimum grade is C!

WONDERFUL. heng ah

svpam_ms
07-09-2009, 12:50 PM
I thought B then dont need to take QET.

riao1987
07-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Its a B4 and better. C5 and below will require QET lah!

moodoftheday
07-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Its a B4 and better. C5 and below will require QET lah!

Haha, i think the current batch no longer uses the grades with numerical annotations for GP. I think it's anything below C need to sit for the test. Is that right?

svpam_ms
07-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Not sure what's the current criteria for the new batch. But for the old batch, you need at least a B4 and above.

kosh
07-29-2009, 03:19 PM
does anyone also have problems with checking qet results?

sabrina
07-29-2009, 03:53 PM
i can't see my result...

octopi
07-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Erms... how to check results??

sabrina
07-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Erms... how to check results??

go to website of CELC.

svpam_ms
08-04-2009, 04:24 PM