PDA

View Full Version : NUS Hall Life

Pages : 1 [2]

everupbeat
05-15-2011, 01:55 AM
Dun think u missed any deadline :)

U'll have to sign up for SCAMP @ the NUS Science Club website:
http://www.nusscienceclub.com/

there are CCA camps, but I didnt sign up for any as I'm pretty undecided abt ccas.

I dun mind staying there 4 yrs as MOE's paying, but more importantly, I dun have to run home daily (as I stay in Yishun).

U also considering staying hall for 3-4 yrs too?

heh thanks just signed up! ohh ic, same here, there's quite a variety of ccas. woah swee, apply for pgp's a/c rooms, can chiong aircon foc daily, shiok max! shd be staying for 1 yr only ba (if can for more than that wld be great but dun wanna be chionging loadsa hall ccas t guarantee a place, worry it'll be taxing on my studies) calculated alr, cab fare t and fro wld roughly be equal t hall fees so shdn't be too bad if i dun get t stay in th following yrs.. ;P

Zi'Ang.C
05-15-2011, 02:03 AM
heh thanks just signed up! ohh ic, same here, there's quite a variety of ccas. woah swee, apply for pgp's a/c rooms, can chiong aircon foc daily, shiok max! shd be staying for 1 yr only ba (if can for more than that wld be great but dun wanna be chionging loadsa hall ccas t guarantee a place, worry it'll be taxing on my studies) calculated alr, cab fare t and fro wld roughly be equal t hall fees so shdn't be too bad if i dun get t stay in th following yrs.. ;P

I applied to PGP Type C, which is no different from a Single Room in the Halls (but less CCA involvement, hehe :D)

the CCA pt requirement for PGP is lower than that of the halls, so if the hall life burns you out, there always PGP :)

Ehhhh ya, cab fare's ex laaa :) stay in the halls laaa, more friends/wake up LATE for lectures/no need get caught in jam in taxi...

I wanted to apply to the Halls, but didnt wanna gamble my studies as Im on a scholarship.

Wanna meetup for e Open hse btw? :)

everupbeat
05-15-2011, 02:20 AM
I applied to PGP Type C, which is no different from a Single Room in the Halls (but less CCA involvement, hehe :D)

the CCA pt requirement for PGP is lower than that of the halls, so if the hall life burns you out, there always PGP :)

Ehhhh ya, cab fare's ex laaa :) stay in the halls laaa, more friends/wake up LATE for lectures/no need get caught in jam in taxi...

I wanted to apply to the Halls, but didnt wanna gamble my studies as Im on a scholarship.

Wanna meetup for e Open hse btw? :)

ohh ic! transfer in th following yrs? any idea if transferring requires cca pts or hall pts? haha true, it's th longer sleep hours that makes hall stay so enticing, plus im someone who takes naps, best if can nap in btwn lectures in th room! ;P oh ic, yea safe bet, pgp. =D dun get too involved in other ccas man else no diff! hmm, i'm going w a friend but if th place isn't too big, we might just bump into each other anyways!

spitfirxe
05-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Hi guys

I hope you do realise that if you want to continue living in the halls throughout your undergraduate years, you have to have a decent CCA record/participation.

An admission into the 1st - 2nd year does not automatically qualify one for the remaining 2 years, In the senior UG year, you have to compete with the rest, and it is based on these CCA qualifications.

Am i right?

Zi'Ang.C
05-15-2011, 11:21 AM
ohh ic! transfer in th following yrs? any idea if transferring requires cca pts or hall pts? haha true, it's th longer sleep hours that makes hall stay so enticing, plus im someone who takes naps, best if can nap in btwn lectures in th room! ;P oh ic, yea safe bet, pgp. =D dun get too involved in other ccas man else no diff! hmm, i'm going w a friend but if th place isn't too big, we might just bump into each other anyways!

Heyys,

I dun thinks transferring will require any cca points :) As long as there's sufficient points, choosing hall/pgp shouldnt be an issue, hehe.

Waking up LATE enough for lectures is probably one of the many perks of staying at PGP/KE7 for us I guess. As for a/c in the Hall rooms, I've heard of people bringing in portable a/c units into their hall rooms :P I dunno if the hall rules allow that, but if you're staying in KE/PGP, u may wanna consider :D

CCAs are evil necessities for hall/PGP stay I guess. If there's anything gd abt PGP, it'd be that the cca pt requirements are lower than that of the halls. True true, over-involvement in ccs and staying in pgp wont really help :)

the science open hse area woudl just be the common area outside the science lts (lt26-29 I think) as well as the lts. it's really small IMO, and yeps yeps, cya then :)

Zi'Ang.C
05-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Hi guys

I hope you do realise that if you want to continue living in the halls throughout your undergraduate years, you have to have a decent CCA record/participation.

An admission into the 1st - 2nd year does not automatically qualify one for the remaining 2 years, In the senior UG year, you have to compete with the rest, and it is based on these CCA qualifications.

Am i right?

Heyys,

heard of, and yeps, cca particpation's one serious necessity for hall stay, let alone pgp stay.

From the 2nd year onwards, hall admission is based on cca pts and contributions. 1st yr students are admitted based on their jc cca involvement I think :)

Considering applying to any of the halls? :)

spitfirxe
05-15-2011, 11:40 AM
If i am studying in NUS, which for now I am, I will be going to the UTown as I a under the USP programme. I'll be doing civil eng.

For the new Utown, which houses USP and the residential prog, I think students r allowed to stay for up to 2 years, after which its based on involvements and contributions.

Anw, since u have a scholarship, why not spam the most exp PGPR A room? hahaha

Zi'Ang.C
05-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Didnt know u got into USP :)

As much as I wanted to apply for PGP A, MOE's reimbursement is capped at 90 weekly. To apply for PGP A wld mean that I'd have to pay an extra 90 weekly, but i'm.. broke, hehe.

UTown sure sounds attractive, and it sure sounds goooooddd given that the 1st 2 yrs are pretty much 'settled' in a way or another. Hall stayers and PGP-ers gotta slug it out frm yr2, boohoohoo :(

considered hall stay before? :)

everupbeat
05-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Hi guys

Am i right?
yep, realised that :) heard tt transferring frm hall t residences is based on regular cca pts and nt hall cca pts, wanted t verify if that's true.

Heyys,

I dun thinks transferring will require any cca points :) As long as there's sufficient points, choosing hall/pgp shouldnt be an issue, hehe.

Waking up LATE enough for lectures is probably one of the many perks of staying at PGP/KE7 for us I guess. As for a/c in the Hall rooms, I've heard of people bringing in portable a/c units into their hall rooms :P I dunno if the hall rules allow that, but if you're staying in KE/PGP, u may wanna consider :D

CCAs are evil necessities for hall/PGP stay I guess. If there's anything gd abt PGP, it'd be that the cca pt requirements are lower than that of the halls. True true, over-involvement in ccs and staying in pgp wont really help :)

the science open hse area woudl just be the common area outside the science lts (lt26-29 I think) as well as the lts. it's really small IMO, and yeps yeps, cya then

yea! heard of that too, but those type that needs wall vents aren't allowed tho. super sianz, had one (just plug in, no need vent de) bfr i moved house but it was given away~! T_T hmm rh is further away frm sci fac but think there's a direct bus thankfully! =)

think staying on in th hionger halls wld be harder as well if everyone participates and gets loadsa hall pts too!

apparantly, there's some cool stuff going on till 6pm (Exhibition booths and sharing by various student clubs and societies in FOS, Hands-on and interactive Science Tools and Toys, etc...) but need t go off in th afternoon t submit hall camp registration! wasted!

Zi'Ang.C
05-15-2011, 02:31 PM
yea! heard of that too, but those type that needs wall vents aren't allowed tho. super sianz, had one (just plug in, no need vent de) bfr i moved house but it was given away~! T_T hmm rh is further away frm sci fac but think there's a direct bus thankfully! =)

think staying on in th hionger halls wld be harder as well if everyone participates and gets loadsa hall pts too!

apparantly, there's some cool stuff going on till 6pm (Exhibition booths and sharing by various student clubs and societies in FOS, Hands-on and interactive Science Tools and Toys, etc...) but need t go off in th afternoon t submit hall camp registration! wasted!

Ehh, RH Hall Camp reg. manual de?? AFAIK, Sheares ish online, KE and KR nt too sure though :p Signed up for like 3 halls during the open hse, only realising tt pgp's the better way out like... 1+ month later?? ^.^

I've church friends who've been loading me with the kind of horror stories u hear abt halls (i.e. sports @ midnight + supper + HTHT till like 4+, 5+...), so I was quite certain that hall life won't be quite my type of life in Uni. It sounds fun nodoubt, but I guess grades are proabably a priority one for me in Uni :)

Wish I could stay the whole day @ Sci Open Hse and enjoy all the goodness, but well, gotta miss e noon part as I've church lessons then... Waaah!!

everupbeat
05-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Ehh, RH Hall Camp reg. manual de?? AFAIK, Sheares ish online, KE and KR nt too sure though :p Signed up for like 3 halls during the open hse, only realising tt pgp's the better way out like... 1+ month later?? ^.^

I've church friends who've been loading me with the kind of horror stories u hear abt halls (i.e. sports @ midnight + supper + HTHT till like 4+, 5+...), so I was quite certain that hall life won't be quite my type of life in Uni. It sounds fun nodoubt, but I guess grades are proabably a priority one for me in Uni :)

Wish I could stay the whole day @ Sci Open Hse and enjoy all the goodness, but well, gotta miss e noon part as I've church lessons then... Waaah!!

There's online and offline reg, registered online for rh, but need t bring th payment t them at raffles city, it's th same for eusoff hall, think it's so they can be sure those tt signed up will turn up and nt waste $$ on ordering th shirts and planning.. nt sure about th rest tho.. KE heard there's no hall camps.. any camps fr pgp?

I suppose it's possible t say no t those late night activities, but sounds exciting! It's like this holiday's training me t become a night owl so i suppose late night activities won't be too bad. lol! but yep, grades r indeed priority, so if cannot cope, i'll try nt t be overly involved then.. wonder how many ccas ppl participate in on average.. hopefully 2-3 shd be enough!

Gd thing there's prolly alot more of such goodness t come haha! =D

clarimont
05-15-2011, 04:28 PM

Hey, fellow TS scholar! :P Which are the 3 halls that you signed up? My top choice is currently pgp type C. Don't want to be affected by too much hall activities too, since i am under the TS. And, pgp looks like a really nice place to stay in.

I can't stay the whole day at the Science Open House too. ): Got church activities afterwards. But shall get as much info as I can there. Couldn't make it for SCAMP too because I'm overseas at that time. Ahhh, so much things clash!

clarimont
05-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Are there any acitivities/CCAs in PGP? I am thinking of PGP 1st choice and KE7 as my second choice.

And is attending hall activities complusory? Like how do things work. I am generally okay with attending the activities but would like to leave enough time for studies as well.

Zi'Ang.C
05-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Hey, fellow TS scholar! :P Which are the 3 halls that you signed up? My top choice is currently pgp type C. Don't want to be affected by too much hall activities too, since i am under the TS. And, pgp looks like a really nice place to stay in.

I can't stay the whole day at the Science Open House too. ): Got church activities afterwards. But shall get as much info as I can there. Couldn't make it for SCAMP too because I'm overseas at that time. Ahhh, so much things clash!

HEYYS!!

I'm loyal to PGP ^.^ Out of the 3 choices, I applied to PGP C and PGP B respectively. Didnt exercise my 3rd choice as I was quite sure I'd get into PGP :P

PGP = 'condo style living', so guess it cant get any better than tt if you're looking at staying in NUS :)

Waahs, seems like we're in the same boat.... Btw, which church r u in? :)

clarimont
05-15-2011, 09:48 PM
HEYYS!!

I'm loyal to PGP ^.^ Out of the 3 choices, I applied to PGP C and PGP B respectively. Didnt exercise my 3rd choice as I was quite sure I'd get into PGP :P

PGP = 'condo style living', so guess it cant get any better than tt if you're looking at staying in NUS :)

Waahs, seems like we're in the same boat.... Btw, which church r u in? :)

Woah, so confirm you are gonna live in PGP! And yes, PGP is super condo-ish! I thought it was a condo, didn't think of it as a residence place for NUS students to live in.

Yeah, you can say we are pretty much in the same boat! Same, NUS FoS too. :) Anyway, other than PGP, what other halls would you recommend, from your knowledge?

And oh, I go to a small independent church near Yio Chu Kang. :) (a bit digress leh :P).

Zi'Ang.C
05-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Woah, so confirm you are gonna live in PGP! And yes, PGP is super condo-ish! I thought it was a condo, didn't think of it as a residence place for NUS students to live in.

Yeah, you can say we are pretty much in the same boat! Same, NUS FoS too. :) Anyway, other than PGP, what other halls would you recommend, from your knowledge?

And oh, I go to a small independent church near Yio Chu Kang. :) (a bit digress leh :P).

Yeps.

it's prolly e best compromise btwn hall life & grades. Not to mention that the facilities there are relatively first rate.

For fellow freshies, I'll maintain that KE7 will be a good choice as its near to Science.The others are IMO too far, or too 'riot', heehee :D You'll be applying to PGP I guess?

Digress a lil, I go to FCBC :p

clarimont
05-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Yeps.

it's prolly e best compromise btwn hall life & grades. Not to mention that the facilities there are relatively first rate.

For fellow freshies, I'll maintain that KE7 will be a good choice as its near to Science.The others are IMO too far, or too 'riot', heehee :D You'll be applying to PGP I guess?

Digress a lil, I go to FCBC :p

Yup, I will be applying to PGP, top choice. :D

But I wonder if MOE approves of us living in PGP cause I make out that they want us to interact that's why complusory to stay in hostel for at least a year? And they strongly encourage double rooms. But I prefer single ones, more privacy. Not necessary having double rooms to get good friends or interact with others.

Zi'Ang.C
05-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Yup, I will be applying to PGP, top choice. :D

But I wonder if MOE approves of us living in PGP cause I make out that they want us to interact that's why complusory to stay in hostel for at least a year? And they strongly encourage double rooms. But I prefer single ones, more privacy. Not necessary having double rooms to get good friends or interact with others.

I've called MOE reagarding this, and yep, they're cool with us staying in PGP although interaction is recommended by them as per the TS(L) Info Kit. I wld have wanted a double room in PGP, but well, single rooms do have their advanage I guess :D

You'll still be applying to KE7 I guess? :)

lavender
05-16-2011, 02:30 AM
Hi, im thinking of applying for PGPR but the cost of type A rooms are too expensive haha! Looking at KE7 instead, but the problem is that i need A/C rooms >.<! does the rooms in KE7 have aircon? :p

Hi Jessica,
There are aircon rooms in KE7. About 8 female rooms and 16 male rooms, if I don't remember wrongly. The additional fee is $5 per day, but you will need to pay for the full semester, not by per day basis. There are still vacancies in the air-conditioned block.

Hope this helped.

clarimont
05-16-2011, 12:59 PM
I've called MOE reagarding this, and yep, they're cool with us staying in PGP although interaction is recommended by them as per the TS(L) Info Kit. I wld have wanted a double room in PGP, but well, single rooms do have their advanage I guess :D

You'll still be applying to KE7 I guess? :)

Yup, KE7 will be my third choice. Will put PGP Type B & C as my other two top choices. Anyway, judging from your CS1 & CS2, I think we will most probably see each other quite often! :D

Zi'Ang.C
05-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Yup, KE7 will be my third choice. Will put PGP Type B & C as my other two top choices. Anyway, judging from your CS1 & CS2, I think we will most probably see each other quite often! :D

Ahhhas :) Seems like we'll be crossing paths a fair bit in school, and after school :D You'll be coming for the sci open hs this sat I guess?

clarimont
05-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Ahhhas :) Seems like we'll be crossing paths a fair bit in school, and after school :D You'll be coming for the sci open hs this sat I guess?

Yes, I will be going there with my parents. Will be there from 9am to latest 2pm. :)

Zi'Ang.C
05-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Yes, I will be going there with my parents. Will be there from 9am to latest 2pm. :)

Heyys,

didnt knw u were applying to PGP Type B too :p I wanted to apply to PGP B at the start, but couldnt quite come to terms with apying an extra $10 weekly for a basin o.O o.O

Is the basin more useful that I'm thinking it'd be? ^.^

clarimont
05-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Heyys,

didnt knw u were applying to PGP Type B too :p I wanted to apply to PGP B at the start, but couldnt quite come to terms with apying an extra $10 weekly for a basin o.O o.O

Is the basin more useful that I'm thinking it'd be? ^.^

Haha! I have the same question as you too! My mum says that basin then can wash face and brush teeth in our own room at your own comfort, don't have to be done at the common toilet. And maybe if you need to wash anything? That's all I can think of. :p

Anyway, does anyone know if it is okay to go back our house on weekends and just stay in the hall/residence only on weekdays? Or maybe sometimes the timetable is quite slack and maybe go back home for a night on weekday?

Zi'Ang.C
05-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Haha! I have the same question as you too! My mum says that basin then can wash face and brush teeth in our own room at your own comfort, don't have to be done at the common toilet. And maybe if you need to wash anything? That's all I can think of. :p

Anyway, does anyone know if it is okay to go back our house on weekends and just stay in the hall/residence only on weekdays? Or maybe sometimes the timetable is quite slack and maybe go back home for a night on weekday?

Zzz.... Okay.. ^.^

I guess I'm more cool with common toilets thks to my NS days, but eitherways, if the basin is tt useful, do remind me to apply for them during the dec/jan vacation :D

Hall stay, if I didnt recall wrongly, is pro-rated :) MOE WILL CHECK with the Halls on the no. of days we've staid in, and then reimburse us according to the ACTUAL days we staid in (more accurately, slept in) the Hall.

I dun like such pro-rated payment, but well, if money used for travelling up & down can be saved, no harm... :S

Jessica
05-16-2011, 02:27 PM
LOL!!

I guess applying to PGP does save you a fair bit of trouble (when you get to bypass filling in all the CCA, CIP info), Hehe :D

By e way, which course are you majoring in in Uni? :)

Hi Jessica,

From what I gather, there are no A/C rooms in KE7. There are A/C rooms in PGP (the Type A ones), as well as in the all-new University Town (UTown) Residential College.

For the UTown rooms, the base rates are 125/135 (corridoor/6-bedroom) weekly. HOWEVER, this excludes the a/c charges, which are on a 'pay-as-you-use'/prepaid basis.

PGP Type A rooms, although EXHORBITANTLY expensive (compared to the Type B & C rooms), have the A/C and personal bathroom charges counted in as well.

IMO, PGP Type A may be a little 'overkill' if you do not need the luxury of a personal bathroom. However, given that you will have to further pay A/C charges for the UTown rooms (and that there might be no personal toilet for the UTown rooms), PGP Type A may be more worthwhile.

Eitherways, u may wanna act quick as there are VERY limited PGP Type A rooms (280+ I think), and UTown requires application and (maybe) an interview.

http://www.nus.edu.sg/osa/housing/undergraduate/rates.html
FYIP

IF ALL FAILS, there's the A/C study lounge in KE7 that you can always fall back on :D

You're a prospective Sci/Med student I guess?

yup! where is the information regarding for to apply for PGPR? is there a website? Sorry i dont know much, still waiting for my acceptance letter from NUS

clarimont
05-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Zzz.... Okay.. ^.^

I guess I'm more cool with common toilets thks to my NS days, but eitherways, if the basin is tt useful, do remind me to apply for them during the dec/jan vacation :D

Hall stay, if I didnt recall wrongly, is pro-rated :) MOE WILL CHECK with the Halls on the no. of days we've staid in, and then reimburse us according to the ACTUAL days we staid in (more accurately, slept in) the Hall.

I dun like such pro-rated payment, but well, if money used for travelling up & down can be saved, no harm... :S

Hmm. Wondering if PGP is the same thing too. So I guess it is generally okay to not stay there for the whole of one year (stay outside sometimes)? TS requires us to stay there for at least one year, but not sure they really spefically meant everyday stay there for a whole year.

Zi'Ang.C
05-16-2011, 02:34 PM
yup! where is the information regarding for to apply for PGPR? is there a website? Sorry i dont know much, still waiting for my acceptance letter from NUS

Just wondering if you saw lavender's reply reg. availability of A/C dorms in KE7. There are a/c dorms in KE7, but they're fairly limited I guess.

The link for Hall/PGP application is as follows:
https://uhms.nus.edu.sg/Pre-Matstudents/Default.aspx?Params=L9ezxPcQnQukDDhuxAMbDfw%2bGJVh XDGOmo6vEQxlEOE%3d

PGPR and the other halls have the same application webpage. You'll however, need to specify the type of accomodation you're applying to (i.e. PGPR/Halls).

Hope that helps.

Zi'Ang.C
05-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Hmm. Wondering if PGP is the same thing too. So I guess it is generally okay to not stay there for the whole of one year (stay outside sometimes)? TS requires us to stay there for at least one year, but not sure they really spefically meant everyday stay there for a whole year.

The rules should apply across the board ba :)

I dun think it'd be realistic to stay in Hall for one full year (unless you've some serious family issues or anything along that line). To stay a FULL YR is alrdy impossible as MOE doesnt reimbrse for the may-jul holidays unless you can prove you staid back for ccas.

From a money-centric point of view, the more I stay in there = the more money I can get back rm hostel stay. HEH :D

By e way, u wanna move this discussion back to the Scholarship Discussion thread? I think we're seriously digressing frm the actual title of the thread' :O

clarimont
05-16-2011, 02:48 PM
The rules should apply across the board ba :)

I dun think it'd be realistic to stay in Hall for one full year (unless you've some serious family issues or anything along that line). To stay a FULL YR is alrdy impossible as MOE doesnt reimbrse for the may-jul holidays unless you can prove you staid back for ccas.

From a money-centric point of view, the more I stay in there = the more money I can get back rm hostel stay. HEH :D

By e way, u wanna move this discussion back to the Scholarship Discussion thread? I think we're seriously digressing frm the actual title of the thread' :O

Haha! I think you are right! *paiseh*

sooopernova.boy
05-17-2011, 12:42 AM

Hahaha sorry this is rather cute. MOE doesn't micro-manage your choices or your activities in school. They don't care where you apply to -- or if you even do, actually. There're 50-70 of us all over the place. For my year, they even forgot to provide NUS with the list of scholars and some of them didn't even get a place in hall. And don't plan to apply anytime soon. I've also got friends who've almost never been physically been in hall despite having a room.

sooopernova.boy
05-17-2011, 12:45 AM
Ehh, just curious (though I'm kinda digressing frm e thread here), your annual allowance (7100 during ur time i guess) is given one off? Cuz for my batch, they updated the allowance rates to 650 mthly, but I'm secretly hoping they dispense it one off (as I'm like.. broke now), hehe :D

Late reply, my bad :3 My year was 7800$! Yeah, it was given once-off. 650/mthly? So that means they're giving it out on a monthly basis now? Cannot la! Need to shop one lei! OMG noooooo

Edit: Oops. Sorry, arts student cannot count. 7800/12=650. But fret not! Apparently they increase allowances every year thanks to uhm, inflation (?) or something. So that means this year will have more than 650/mth (y)

clarimont
05-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Hahaha sorry this is rather cute. MOE doesn't micro-manage your choices or your activities in school. They don't care where you apply to -- or if you even do, actually. There're 50-70 of us all over the place. For my year, they even forgot to provide NUS with the list of scholars and some of them didn't even get a place in hall. And don't plan to apply anytime soon. I've also got friends who've almost never been physically been in hall despite having a room.

Haha, after reading your post, come to think of it, if they really check, I guess they would be really busy since there are so many of us out there. I guess your friends just applied for hall stay for the sake of fulfilling the requirement. Hmm, if those scholars didn't get a place in hall and don't plan to apply anytime, won't they be not fulfilling the criteria? By the way, are you a MOE scholar too? :D

I think I am digressing in this thread. You can PM me. :)

Zi'Ang.C
05-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Late reply, my bad :3 My year was 7800$! Yeah, it was given once-off. 650/mthly? So that means they're giving it out on a monthly basis now? Cannot la! Need to shop one lei! OMG noooooo

Edit: Oops. Sorry, arts student cannot count. 7800/12=650. But fret not! Apparently they increase allowances every year thanks to uhm, inflation (?) or something. So that means this year will have more than 650/mth (y)

If that's the case, SUPER LIKE!! :D

More allowance no harm, even better if it's once off annually.

By e way, is it true that reimbursement is based on ACTUAL STAY in the Hall, instead of e amt paid for Hall stay?

Haha, after reading your post, come to think of it, if they really check, I guess they would be really busy since there are so many of us out there. I guess your friends just applied for hall stay for the sake of fulfilling the requirement. Hmm, if those scholars didn't get a place in hall and don't plan to apply anytime, won't they be not fulfilling the criteria? By the way, are you a MOE scholar too? :D

I think I am digressing in this thread. You can PM me. :)

Well, sleep does do wonders, and I guess I've found e way to nring this thread back ;D

Is it true tt there's alot of hanky-panky gg around in the NUS Halls? Is PGP too also subject to e checks tt the other Halls have?

Srsly curious ;)

clarimont
05-17-2011, 11:09 AM
If that's the case, SUPER LIKE!! :D

Well, sleep does do wonders, and I guess I've found e way to nring this thread back ;D

Is it true tt there's alot of hanky-panky gg around in the NUS Halls? Is PGP too also subject to e checks tt the other Halls have?

Srsly curious ;)

I heard from my sister's friend that she lives in a double room and her roommate always bring her bf into the room and hanky panky. They ended up putting a cupboard in between the two beds to block the view.

PGP is quite on the low-profile. I wanna know opinions from someone living there too, is it good or bad.

Haseyo
05-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Huh, doing hanky panky while your sister's friend is still around? if not, how did she know?

Zi'Ang.C
05-17-2011, 06:59 PM
I heard from my sister's friend that she lives in a double room and her roommate always bring her bf into the room and hanky panky. They ended up putting a cupboard in between the two beds to block the view.

PGP is quite on the low-profile. I wanna know opinions from someone living there too, is it good or bad.

That's... WOW... Sound does travel through cupboards y'know :D

I was wondering how often NUS Management would patrol the Halls & Residences to ensure that such nonsense doesnt occur. Heard that it'd be less frequent in PGP, but it's be nice to have an inside scoop on life in the 'condos', hahas :)

clarimont
05-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Huh, doing hanky panky while your sister's friend is still around? if not, how did she know?

That's... WOW... Sound does travel through cupboards y'know :D

I was wondering how often NUS Management would patrol the Halls & Residences to ensure that such nonsense doesnt occur. Heard that it'd be less frequent in PGP, but it's be nice to have an inside scoop on life in the 'condos', hahas :)

Well, the two girls are cousins living in the double room. So.. I guess she kept an eye close.

I think in PGP they don't allow males to enter the female floor level? Not too sure.

Zi'Ang.C
05-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Well, the two girls are cousins living in the double room. So.. I guess she kept an eye close.

I think in PGP they don't allow males to enter the female floor level? Not too sure.

PGP - CONDO Security -.-
For PGP, you're issued a transponder that ONLY UNLOCKS the common floor & YOUR FLOOR & ROOM (floor access when using the PGP Lift). Your friend needs to have your keys/be with you, in order to enter your PGP room.

Partners-in-crime, are, important, in, PGP :D

If the NUS Hall ppl are lax enough in their monitoring, and your floor-mates are the 'bo-chup' type, ANYTHING can happen in PGP. Given that there were posts in other threads on how there're PARTIES in PGP even after 11pm, I'm wondering how strictly they monitor PGP...

clarimont
05-18-2011, 10:07 AM
PGP - CONDO Security -.-
For PGP, you're issued a transponder that ONLY UNLOCKS the common floor & YOUR FLOOR & ROOM (floor access when using the PGP Lift). Your friend needs to have your keys/be with you, in order to enter your PGP room.

Partners-in-crime, are, important, in, PGP :D

If the NUS Hall ppl are lax enough in their monitoring, and your floor-mates are the 'bo-chup' type, ANYTHING can happen in PGP. Given that there were posts in other threads on how there're PARTIES in PGP even after 11pm, I'm wondering how strictly they monitor PGP...

I just hope that PGPR is not as boring as some people said. The decision not to stay in hall is because I am afraid it would disrupt my studies due to the numerous hall acitivities. On the other hand, I don't want life in PGPR to be so mundane as well. Hopefully my future neighbours and I can click really well!

Zi'Ang.C
05-18-2011, 11:11 AM
I just hope that PGPR is not as boring as some people said. The decision not to stay in hall is because I am afraid it would disrupt my studies due to the numerous hall acitivities. On the other hand, I don't want life in PGPR to be so mundane as well. Hopefully my future neighbours and I can click really well!

Same here. Considered Hall stay during the NUS Open Hse, but feedback frm seniors and church frens were that the Halls can get way 'riot' late into the night. Settling for PGP, which is abit on on e quit side, but I guess the good thing abt PGP is that there's more time to yourself :)

If you're into cooking (and really good at it), I guess it'll not be tt diff to have really close neighbours in PGP ^.^

Heard it somewhere that 'the way to a person's heart is through their stomach'. Cheesy, but pretty true for PGP I guess ^.^

clarimont
05-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Same here. Considered Hall stay during the NUS Open Hse, but feedback frm seniors and church frens were that the Halls can get way 'riot' late into the night. Settling for PGP, which is abit on on e quit side, but I guess the good thing abt PGP is that there's more time to yourself :)

If you're into cooking (and really good at it), I guess it'll not be tt diff to have really close neighbours in PGP ^.^

Heard it somewhere that 'the way to a person's heart is through their stomach'. Cheesy, but pretty true for PGP I guess ^.^

I was only there at 5-6pm for NUS Open House because I was at NTU. And I was listening the FASS talk. So I didn't really get much info about other stuff.

Haha. Anyway, if you are seriously considering double major, PGP is definitely the choice you should go.

Zi'Ang.C
05-18-2011, 06:40 PM
I was only there at 5-6pm for NUS Open House because I was at NTU. And I was listening the FASS talk. So I didn't really get much info about other stuff.

Haha. Anyway, if you are seriously considering double major, PGP is definitely the choice you should go.

I see I see :)

Just wondering though, what made u choose nus over ntu? Prestige, or 'brand loyalty'?

Hahas :)

clarimont
05-18-2011, 11:27 PM
I see I see :)

Just wondering though, what made u choose nus over ntu? Prestige, or 'brand loyalty'?

Hahas :)

You can ask me privately. :) Don't wanna digress from the thread further. :P

hashbrownswithsyrup
05-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Just some questions that i want to ask:

1. Does it matter what time you apply for halls? Because i still haven't made a decision, deciding between KR and RH, and KR exposure camp is next week so maybe i'll see how it goes first? will applying later affect your chances?

2. I got into dentistry, and i want to try out for the first year at a hall, a hall that's fun cause i would say i'm pretty extroverted? i think from what i've heard KR is pretty fun, but i think if i got into KR my hallmates will think i'm a loner because i'll probably have to say no to alot of things ): from reading this forum i'm suddenly pretty interested in RH too, so now i'm really confused!!! what's the culture like in RH? cause apparently KR has a strong emphasis on family and all that, is it the same in RH?

3. And also, does anyone know how many dent seniors are staying in RH? haha i heard KR only has 1 :P

okay i know answers will be biased depending on who you ask, but any opinions? (: THANKS :D

Zi'Ang.C
05-20-2011, 11:52 AM
1. Does it matter what time you apply for halls? Because i still haven't made a decision, deciding between KR and RH, and KR exposure camp is next week so maybe i'll see how it goes first? will applying later affect your chances?

The application period for freshmen is frm 4 May to 1st June. As long as you apply within this timeframe, it shouldnt be an issue as the Halls will screen for suitable canidates prior to selection :)

2. I got into dentistry, and i want to try out for the first year at a hall, a hall that's fun cause i would say i'm pretty extroverted? i think from what i've heard KR is pretty fun, but i think if i got into KR my hallmates will think i'm a loner because i'll probably have to say no to alot of things ): from reading this forum i'm suddenly pretty interested in RH too, so now i'm really confused!!! what's the culture like in RH? cause apparently KR has a strong emphasis on family and all that, is it the same in RH?

I can understand ur concern as I'm an MOE Teaching Scholar :) Well, as is the case with Hall Life, there has to be a balance. And to achieve this balance, I guess saying 'no' is an evil necessity, and can get real tough at times esp. when you're building relations while juggling schoolwork at the same time. People's opinion, IMO, is THEIR opinion, and I feel that you shouldnt saddle yourself wth the weight of their opinion (esp. when studies are at stake).

I cant comment on RH's Hall culture as I've yet to enter NUS (hehe), but yes KR is VERY family-oriented. (been to their Open Hse Booth and could feel it when they were sharing about KR)

Hope that hleps!! :)

Sarthak
05-25-2011, 07:35 AM
I was wondering how much time does it take to reach FoE from PGP via shuttle bus? Also is it common for Engg students to live at KE7?

saintoclock
05-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Soo.. i can't decide between KE7 & sheares hall..

anyone help?

haha thx!

lavender
05-28-2011, 09:28 PM
I was wondering how much time does it take to reach FoE from PGP via shuttle bus? Also is it common for Engg students to live at KE7?

It really depends on the traffic. From what my engin friends told me, on good days, 20minutes, on bad days can take up to half an hour plus.

Yes, it is pretty common to find engin students in KE7, but not nearly as much as RH, which houses a big portion of them.

jan
05-28-2011, 09:54 PM
hi i need soma advice on what halls/residences law students usually take? im rather concerned cos it seems that the shuttle bus to bt campus only passes thru pgpr? so does tt mean tt law students usually have to take pgpr?

could anyone give me a brief overview of the culture at pgpr? as in is it noisy or stuff like that and usually students from which school go there? thanks :) wld appreciate alot

sooopernova.boy
05-28-2011, 10:59 PM
:Dhi i need soma advice on what halls/residences law students usually take? im rather concerned cos it seems that the shuttle bus to bt campus only passes thru pgpr? so does tt mean tt law students usually have to take pgpr?

could anyone give me a brief overview of the culture at pgpr? as in is it noisy or stuff like that and usually students from which school go there? thanks :) wld appreciate alot

No, bus BTC passes through KRC in its entirety -- its last stop at KRC is the shuttle bus terminal (which KE7 and PGPR share) before leaving for BTC. Rest assured the bus stops at every hall's bus-stop.

PGPR is known for being... sedentary. The bulk of its residents are international students. BTW, the rooms and bath cubicles are tiny like hell, haha.

sooopernova.boy
05-28-2011, 11:05 PM

Shoot, I'm digressing from the thread, haha.

But anyway, noooooooooo, I don't think that's how they work, haha >< Basically MOE will just reimburse you for the 13 weeks of stay (is it 13? I can't remember how many weeks there are in a semester, omg). There's no system to monitor your coming and going in hall, hahaha. So yeah, you'll just get reimbursed from Week 0 - the day you're supposed to move out.

MaryMount
05-30-2011, 11:41 PM
WHY CANT I CHOOSE AIR CONDITIONED ROOMS!! there are no options for it! It's all non ac!!!

Krauser
05-30-2011, 11:42 PM
WHY CANT I CHOOSE AIR CONDITIONED ROOMS!! there are no options for it! It's all non ac!!!

There is only one option available for ac. LOL

MaryMount
06-03-2011, 01:31 AM
Helllo, how do I check the application status of my hall application? Does yours say, term rule not available now or something like that right now? Because I don't know if I submitted my application correctly or not! TIA

Zi'Ang.C
06-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Helllo, how do I check the application status of my hall application? Does yours say, term rule not available now or something like that right now? Because I don't know if I submitted my application correctly or not! TIA

Helloos,

I just checked my hall application status, and mine's the same as you. If you've filled in your hall application as required during the registration window (from 4 may to 1 june), you should be fine :) IDK whats the exact reason for this whole 'term rule nt active' thingy, but I did saw it in the system before hall applications were open. no worries :)

And just curious, which Hall did u apply to?

MaryMount
06-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Helloos,

I just checked my hall application status, and mine's the same as you. If you've filled in your hall application as required during the registration window (from 4 may to 1 june), you should be fine :) IDK whats the exact reason for this whole 'term rule nt active' thingy, but I did saw it in the system before hall applications were open. no worries :)

And just curious, which Hall did u apply to?

Cool! (: thanks alot!!! And I applied for kr! Hahahaha because I heard the rooms are newer yeah?

Zi'Ang.C
06-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Cool! (: thanks alot!!! And I applied for kr! Hahahaha because I heard the rooms are newer yeah?

U went for camp blueblood i guess?? :) Wanted to apply to the Halls, but reconsidered and applied to PGP instead as I'm on a scholarship and dun intend to juggle my studies with Hall Life :p

U sure seem anxious to knw if you're application's successful, hehe. Me too :D

MaryMount
06-03-2011, 09:06 AM
U went for camp blueblood i guess?? :) Wanted to apply to the Halls, but reconsidered and applied to PGP instead as I'm on a scholarship and dun intend to juggle my studies with Hall Life :p

U sure seem anxious to knw if you're application's successful, hehe. Me too :D

HAHAHAHA Nah, I didnt! I was overseas then! (: I see I see! It's a much better alternative if you want to concentrate on your studies! (:

Hahahaha yeah kinda, because I didnt attend their camp, so... I thought I might have a lesser chance. But my seniors told me that I have a good sports cca record, so it shouldnt be a problem! I'm hoping thats the case! (:

Zi'Ang.C
06-03-2011, 09:22 AM
HAHAHAHA Nah, I didnt! I was overseas then! (: I see I see! It's a much better alternative if you want to concentrate on your studies! (:

Hahahaha yeah kinda, because I didnt attend their camp, so... I thought I might have a lesser chance. But my seniors told me that I have a good sports cca record, so it shouldnt be a problem! I'm hoping thats the case! (:

Since you've a pretty good sports cca record under ur belt (frm what I gather), no worries, hahax (: KR needs sportsmen for the IHGs, and I'm more than certain they'd be more than happy to consider u.

What's ur intended major btw?

MaryMount
06-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Since you've a pretty good sports cca record under ur belt (frm what I gather), no worries, hahax (: KR needs sportsmen for the IHGs, and I'm more than certain they'd be more than happy to consider u.

What's ur intended major btw?

HOPEFULLY!!!! I cant wait for the IHGs. Really excited about it! :D

Hahaha, my intended major in FASS? Psychology, of course! (: I'm appealing for Medicine though, really praying for a miracle! ):

Zi'Ang.C
06-03-2011, 09:39 AM
HOPEFULLY!!!! I cant wait for the IHGs. Really excited about it! :D

Hahaha, my intended major in FASS? Psychology, of course! (: I'm appealing for Medicine though, really praying for a miracle! ):

HIIIII SHRINK :D

Chemistry major here. Zzz u sure make me feel like a mugger, and staying at PGP sure confirms this fact :p

Did u consider any other halls apart frm KR?? Cuz if I didnt recall wrongly, Sheares is as new as KR, izzit?

MaryMount
06-03-2011, 09:49 AM
HIIIII SHRINK :D

Chemistry major here. Zzz u sure make me feel like a mugger, and staying at PGP sure confirms this fact :p

Did u consider any other halls apart frm KR?? Cuz if I didnt recall wrongly, Sheares is as new as KR, izzit?

HAHAHHA COOL! Ahhh... It's cause FASS has a more relaxed pace, as I gather from my seniors! So, I suppose I get more time to play! Hahahhaa!

Hmm.. I did! I was looking for a hall with a relatively good sports record, because I want to have a challenge with TH and EH! And I think KR is able to satisfy that! (: My second choice is TH, and third, Sheares! :D

Zi'Ang.C
06-03-2011, 10:04 AM
HAHAHHA COOL! Ahhh... It's cause FASS has a more relaxed pace, as I gather from my seniors! So, I suppose I get more time to play! Hahahhaa!

Hmm.. I did! I was looking for a hall with a relatively good sports record, because I want to have a challenge with TH and EH! And I think KR is able to satisfy that! (: My second choice is TH, and third, Sheares! :D

Zzzz... I WANNA CHANGE CSE!!! :p :p

Was considering KR and KE7 initially, but eventually u-turned and applied to PGP after hearing stories frm NUS friends on 'sports @ midnight', 'late night suppers' and lots of stuffs in the wee hrs... U sure seem like you're up to it, hehe :D

MaryMount
06-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Zzzz... I WANNA CHANGE CSE!!! :p :p

Was considering KR and KE7 initially, but eventually u-turned and applied to PGP after hearing stories frm NUS friends on 'sports @ midnight', 'late night suppers' and lots of stuffs in the wee hrs... U sure seem like you're up to it, hehe :D

HAHAHAHA! I am really excited about it! But I WOULD GLADLY GIVE ALL THESE UP FOR MEDICINE TO ACCEPT MY APPEAL! Hahahahahaa! PGP is a good choice for you, because I think you really have to concentrate on your studies since you are on a scholarship! So it's okay! But I heard that KE7 is rather quiet! So if you intend to stay in a hall, that's a pretty good choice! (:

Zi'Ang.C
06-03-2011, 10:33 AM
HAHAHAHA! I am really excited about it! But I WOULD GLADLY GIVE ALL THESE UP FOR MEDICINE TO ACCEPT MY APPEAL! Hahahahahaa! PGP is a good choice for you, because I think you really have to concentrate on your studies since you are on a scholarship! So it's okay! But I heard that KE7 is rather quiet! So if you intend to stay in a hall, that's a pretty good choice! (:

Thks for confirming my thoughts (:

Considered KE7, but it wasnt exactly a choice for me as they didnt offer double room for freshies. And given that going to ANY Hall = Hall Life (reg. of the extent), I thot that I'd be better off in PGP where I could just have whatever time outside of school to myself...

Has NUS medicine released the appeal results yt?? (Digress a lil)

MaryMount
06-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Thks for confirming my thoughts (:

Considered KE7, but it wasnt exactly a choice for me as they didnt offer double room for freshies. And given that going to ANY Hall = Hall Life (reg. of the extent), I thot that I'd be better off in PGP where I could just have whatever time outside of school to myself...

Has NUS medicine released the appeal results yt?? (Digress a lil)

Oh I see! I am into single rooms! Because I get horribly distracted if I stay with one other person! Hahahaha! True true. PGP might just be the best choice for you! (: So, NO REGRETS! IT WAS A GOOD CHOICE! (:

Ha, I dont think so especially since the appeals closed only yesterday! And I heard that appeals are pretty useless in Medicine applications! But well... No harm trying! (: Hopefully there will be good news! Or else, I would just have to enjoy the crazy hall life! (:

Zi'Ang.C
06-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Oh I see! I am into single rooms! Because I get horribly distracted if I stay with one other person! Hahahaha! True true. PGP might just be the best choice for you! (: So, NO REGRETS! IT WAS A GOOD CHOICE! (:

Ha, I dont think so especially since the appeals closed only yesterday! And I heard that appeals are pretty useless in Medicine applications! But well... No harm trying! (: Hopefully there will be good news! Or else, I would just have to enjoy the crazy hall life! (:

(: (:

Heheh thought Hall life was ur thing?? ^.^ And i'm surprised that you're into simgle rooms when Hall seems to be about living, and having fun with ppl? Or you've heard of 'horror' stories about double rooms??

MaryMount
06-03-2011, 11:32 AM
(: (:

Heheh thought Hall life was ur thing?? ^.^ And i'm surprised that you're into simgle rooms when Hall seems to be about living, and having fun with ppl? Or you've heard of 'horror' stories about double rooms??

HAHAHA! I think single rooms might give me some privacy, and also the focus to STUDY when I need to! I'm a closet mugger! Shhh.... HAHAHAHAHA! I guess i can still have fun with people during training sesisons and what not! So it's okay I guess! :D AND MY GOSH WHAT HORROR STORIES! COME SHARE WITH EVERYONE HERE! :D

Zi'Ang.C
06-03-2011, 11:37 AM
HAHAHA! I think single rooms might give me some privacy, and also the focus to STUDY when I need to! I'm a closet mugger! Shhh.... HAHAHAHAHA! I guess i can still have fun with people during training sesisons and what not! So it's okay I guess! :D AND MY GOSH WHAT HORROR STORIES! COME SHARE WITH EVERYONE HERE! :D

Zzzzzzzz that response is SO OVERRATED....

U knw of hanky panky in the Halls right? I was simply referring to tt, hahax.

And btw, (frm church friends in NUS), locking in can be seen as 'antisocial', esp in Halls. The community in there's so close that ppl wld just drop by ur room and chat u up. I dun like tt, esp when I'm studying or doing my stuff. IDK abt u, but Im one guy who hates disruptions TTM X.X

Faster bring out ur closet self!! I think we can mug tgt!! HEHE :D

MaryMount
06-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Zzzzzzzz that response is SO OVERRATED....

U knw of hanky panky in the Halls right? I was simply referring to tt, hahax.

And btw, (frm church friends in NUS), locking in can be seen as 'antisocial', esp in Halls. The community in there's so close that ppl wld just drop by ur room and chat u up. I dun like tt, esp when I'm studying or doing my stuff. IDK abt u, but Im one guy who hates disruptions TTM X.X

Faster bring out ur closet self!! I think we can mug tgt!! HEHE :D

AH! HANKY PANKY! HAHAHAHA! I WILL BE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO WOULD DROP BY THE ROOMS WITH THE HANKY PANKY GOING ON! Hahahahahaha!

Seriously? Gosh! I thought I would be able to have time to myself to study sometimes! Hmm... We shall go find a closet place to mug when school starts! HAHAHAHAA! And I'm ANTI-SOCIAL, so it's okay. HAHAHAHA!

Julietta
06-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Yesterday someone from KE7 called me up, the conversation went like this:

KE7: hello i'm calling from NUS KE7 hall! May i speak to xx?
Me: Yes speaking?
KE7: You applied to KE7 double room right? but currently there are no more double rooms available, would single room be fine for you?
Me: Uh okay..
KE7: Okay thank you bye!

So does this mean I'll most likely be getting KE7 single room already? as long as i get a room i'd be happy enough ^^ I applied KR as my 1st choice and KE7 double as my 2nd. Does this mean Im already rejected by my 1st choice? Can't rmb my third choice is KE7 single or Sheares.. But if it's KE7 single then they wouldn't have called me to ask if it's okay alr right???

Zi'Ang.C
06-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Heyys,

I just checked the NUS UHMS website and my Hall application earlier. Surpisingly, when I logged in, the application status for my application had been 'offered'.

IDK if any of your had something similar when logging in recently to checkout your Hall application status... :confused:

Krauser
06-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Same. Do you know what you are offered?

Zi'Ang.C
06-13-2011, 10:50 AM
IDK, as i got this 'term rule not active' note when I tried to access the application. I remember applying to PGP C and B as my 1st and 2nd choices though...

Are u able to find out too?

MaryMount
06-13-2011, 11:02 AM
IDK, as i got this 'term rule not active' note when I tried to access the application. I remember applying to PGP C and B as my 1st and 2nd choices though...

Are u able to find out too?

yeah yeah me too! does offered means... we already gotten a hall?:confused:

Zi'Ang.C
06-13-2011, 11:31 AM
yeah yeah me too! does offered means... we already gotten a hall?:confused:

maybe?? cos in one of e earlier posts, ke7 called up one of the gals to ask if she was okay with ke7 single instead of ke7 double. If ke7 side were doing the allocation then, my guess is that the system has alrady done much of the allocation, and will only release the outcome this wec.

which hall are u aiming for?? :)

MaryMount
06-13-2011, 11:39 AM
maybe?? cos in one of e earlier posts, ke7 called up one of the gals to ask if she was okay with ke7 single instead of ke7 double. If ke7 side were doing the allocation then, my guess is that the system has alrady done much of the allocation, and will only release the outcome this wec.

which hall are u aiming for?? :)

oh i see! I've told you before in the earlier posts! Go to the earlier pages to see! Hahahaha! KR!

Zi'Ang.C
06-13-2011, 11:41 AM
IM SO SORREH, short term memory lol!! And ya, did ur appeal manage to go through??

MaryMount
06-13-2011, 11:54 AM
IM SO SORREH, short term memory lol!! And ya, did ur appeal manage to go through??

HAHAHHA! It's still pending though! Hopefully it does go through! When will the results of the hall application be out?!

Krauser
06-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Just to be sure. Mind sharing the link?

Zi'Ang.C
06-13-2011, 11:57 AM
heyys, find attached:
https://uhms.nus.edu.sg/Pre-Matstudents/Default.aspx?Params=L9ezxPcQnQukDDhuxAMbDfw%2bGJVh XDGOmo6vEQxlEOE%3d

HTH :)

Zi'Ang.C
06-13-2011, 11:58 AM
HAHAHHA! It's still pending though! Hopefully it does go through! When will the results of the hall application be out?!

this wed noon i think :) if only they coudl push it fwd as i'll be going for camps from this fri onwards.... x.x

Gaia
06-15-2011, 06:56 AM
missed the first round of applications and Really hope to get a place :(

Zi'Ang.C
06-15-2011, 08:16 AM
no worries :) there's a 'late application' round if i didnt recall wrongly, so you'll still stand a chance at getting a place in the halls.

btw, which hall are you looking at?

Zi'Ang.C
06-15-2011, 08:21 AM
The NUS Hall Applications are OUT!!! :D

Best of luck to those to those who've applied!!! :)

MaryMount
06-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Hello guys! Yes the results are out! I got offered KR!!! (:

Zi'Ang.C
06-15-2011, 08:27 AM
I got PGP C!!!! WHEE!! XD

MaryMount
06-15-2011, 08:30 AM
I got PGP C!!!! WHEE!! XD

CONGRSTS! (: have fun in the camps yeah!

Zi'Ang.C
06-15-2011, 08:32 AM
congrats to u too!! same same!! :)

Freshjunior
06-15-2011, 10:28 AM
ok problem solved

MaryMount
06-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Oh no! Why does it say "Your details were not found. Please try again or contact Residential Services (Office of Student Affairs)" when I try to login to check the results?

Maybe you try logging in again? Did you remember pay the deposit of 26.50? :( If you did, I think you should call the office to clarify! dont worry!

Krauser
06-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Gt pgp type A.

Calikura
06-15-2011, 10:58 AM
PGP C, 2nd choice. Accepting.

Krauser
06-15-2011, 10:59 AM
PGP C, 2nd choice. Accepting.

What is your 1st?

MaryMount
06-15-2011, 11:01 AM
wow pgp A is really expensive!! Was it your first choice?

Krauser
06-15-2011, 11:04 AM
wow pgp A is really expensive!! Was it your first choice?

Yup! Ya it is expensive. I prefer it over type B or c. Did you get your first choice?

MaryMount
06-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Yup! Ya it is expensive. I prefer it over type B or c. Did you get your first choice?

TRUE TRUE! THERES AIRCON! SO ITS LIKE THE LIFE! HAHAHAHA! I would have opted for pgp A if I wasnt interested in the hall activities and stuff! But im a horrible slacker, and i just want to have fun! HAHAHAHA! YES I DID! (: I thought I wouldnt get the hall cause i didnt go for the camp and i heard they are taking in very little freshmen! But PHEW! :D congrats on your offer!!

Calikura
06-15-2011, 11:12 AM
What is your 1st?

KR. I'm fine with the outcome of the application though, staying at pgp has its own merits.

Zi'Ang.C
06-15-2011, 11:25 AM
KR. I'm fine with the outcome of the application though, staying at pgp has its own merits.

seems like we'll be seeing each other around a fair bit :) any plans to move in earlier to settle in?

Calikura
06-15-2011, 12:01 PM
seems like we'll be seeing each other around a fair bit :) any plans to move in earlier to settle in?

Mm.. I doubt I'll be moving in early.

helloitsme
06-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Who's gg to king edward vii! :D

YiCheng
06-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Got PGP type C, which is my third choice.

I wonder if we are able to appeal for the offer or not, since I didn't submit any supporting documents of my achievements in my accommodation application, which I didn't know at first and thought it was just for those who have medical problems. Anyway no harm in trying, so I used the 'ask a question' page and attached the testimonial. Hope can get to KE7. I really loved its environment! (and most important is, it is near to my faculty :)

Julietta
06-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Got PGP type C, which is my third choice.

I wonder if we are able to appeal for the offer or not, since I didn't submit any supporting documents of my achievements in my accommodation application, which I didn't know at first and thought it was just for those who have medical problems. Anyway no harm in trying, so I used the 'ask a question' page and attached the testimonial. Hope can get to KE7. I really loved its environment! (and most important is, it is near to my faculty :)

I thought the supporting document section really IS for those with medical conditions?.. Anw I did not submit any doc from there and I just got into KE7!

YiCheng
06-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Hahahaha so that means I didn't misunderstand the words in the application form. However, still a bit disappointed because of not getting in KE7 lah.

But, actually, as a, erm, foreigner, it is quite common for us to get PGP instead of Halls. And now I'm a bit depressed that I might not have the chance to apply for hall as the policy stated that only current hall residents can apply for hall. Haizz.

Well since I've submitted an appeal let's see what will happen next. Not holding any hope actually, just wanted to try it. Thanks ya.

Julietta
06-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Hahahaha so that means I didn't misunderstand the words in the application form. However, still a bit disappointed because of not getting in KE7 lah.

But, actually, as a, erm, foreigner, it is quite common for us to get PGP instead of Halls. And now I'm a bit depressed that I might not have the chance to apply for hall as the policy stated that only current hall residents can apply for hall. Haizz.

Well since I've submitted an appeal let's see what will happen next. Not holding any hope actually, just wanted to try it. Thanks ya.

I see~ Maybe they're trying to get y'all to concentrate on your studies cuz u know halls can get really distracting!~ which i'm a little worried abt myself too haha. So residence might not be that bad too~ anw good luck to your appeals!:)

YiCheng
06-15-2011, 10:40 PM
I would be mad if the only things I need to is studying, hahahaha. Since secondary school I was active in CCA and studied last minute xP

Anyway I will join other clubs no matter my appeal is successful or not =]

Thanks ya.

ajitsukenori
06-15-2011, 11:07 PM
hii..i got PGP type B >.< wasnt any of my 3 choices at all..i really wanted hall :( how do u submit an appeal?
Anyway just curious, is there anyone who wish to swap room with me? I dont mind any hall, single room! You can pm me (: (:

YiCheng
06-16-2011, 01:03 AM
Not sure whether they will receive appeal or not. Try using this website : http://www.studenthousing.nus.edu.sg/ .

Create an account if you've never asked a question there. Then log in with your account, use the "Ask a question" function. This is how I do the appeal, but I'm not sure whether they will process the appeal or not, as I thought there should be a place for us to appeal if they really receive appeals ==

06-16-2011, 01:21 PM

Haha, it's always good to try.
I think it is still possible for you to apply hall for the next academic year, I got some friends who were originally staying at PGP moving to Halls. Usually you need to have a good CCA points and a good "skill", say in arts or sports.
Nevertheless, if you are really interested in Halls, just apply for it next academic year if you don't get it this year.
All the best for your appeal :)

MaryMount
06-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Not sure whether they will receive appeal or not. Try using this website : http://www.studenthousing.nus.edu.sg/ .

Create an account if you've never asked a question there. Then log in with your account, use the "Ask a question" function. This is how I do the appeal, but I'm not sure whether they will process the appeal or not, as I thought there should be a place for us to appeal if they really receive appeals ==

I heard theres a late application for hall sometime in mid June. you can try that probably? :)

Cancerfly
06-17-2011, 02:11 AM
If you don't get hall this sem, don't fret. Some people leave the halls in sem 2 and so a few spaces will open up. The best way (in my ex-hall resident opinion) to get into hall in sem 2 is to know someone who is staying in a hall, and ask him/her to recommend you in when the time comes (sometime at the end of sem 1/during the dec holidays).

euporie
06-17-2011, 05:58 AM
I'm just wondering, will staying in tembusu college be better or halls? I think tembusu will allow me to focus more on studies etc but since it's new I won't know how the life there will be and the rooms in the artist impression already looks suffocated, though it's new. I don't have much info about tembusu as well, tough choice to make...by today!

06-17-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm just wondering, will staying in tembusu college be better or halls? I think tembusu will allow me to focus more on studies etc but since it's new I won't know how the life there will be and the rooms in the artist impression already looks suffocated, though it's new. I don't have much info about tembusu as well, tough choice to make...by today!

Tembusu College is actually meant to be in the middle between Halls and Residents in my opinion. They will have more activities compared to the Residences, but less than the Halls. Tembusu is very new, so I cannot say anything regarding the life there, but I guess it will be quite fun also to be the pioneer batch :)

Wodemaya
06-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Hi guys, anyone would want to swap room/hall with me? I got Temasek Hall single room. (Although I applied for a double room :( )

Wouldn't mind any double room from RH, EH or TH. :)

Anyway, how do we submit an appeal online?

saintoclock
06-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Hi peeps! i got into Kent Ridge hall.

Just wondering, will there be any orientation camps for KR hall? haha and do we only move in on 1st august?

Thanks ;)

Calikura
06-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Hi peeps! i got into Kent Ridge hall.

Just wondering, will there be any orientation camps for KR hall? haha and do we only move in on 1st august?

Thanks ;)

Each hall will have their own o-week programmes to welcome new residents. If you're specifically asking about camps, though, KR's exposure camp for this year is already over.

If you need to move in earlier you should contact the hall to make arrangements.

YiCheng
06-20-2011, 02:18 PM
I've just paid my acceptance fee of my application. However, I forgot to disable the pop-up blocker in Firefox, thus I didn't receive a receipt of the payment. My current application status has changed to Successful, does it mean that they've received my acceptance fee? And where can I obtain the receipt I failed to view? Thanks.

Calikura
06-20-2011, 02:33 PM
I've just paid my acceptance fee of my application. However, I forgot to disable the pop-up blocker in Firefox, thus I didn't receive a receipt of the payment. My current application status has changed to Successful, does it mean that they've received my acceptance fee? And where can I obtain the receipt I failed to view? Thanks.

The popup wasn't a receipt actually.. just a redirect message. You may want to write in to them for a receipt like I did.

Successful is exactly what it says it is - they got it and you're good to go.

blue177
06-21-2011, 09:29 AM

Same! i was redirected to the application status page which shows successful. No receipt of payment shown.

After that i email them through Ask a question, to help me check if they have received my payment, and the replied very fast the next day that they have received it =]

MaryMount
06-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Hello, so after we pay the 200 bucks, what's our next step?

Calikura
06-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Hello, so after we pay the 200 bucks, what's our next step?

Move in on 1st August!

MaryMount
06-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Move in on 1st August!

WHEN MUST WE PAY THE FULL FEES?! And anything to bring in? Like printer or i dont know what to bring!

Calikura
06-21-2011, 05:11 PM
WHEN MUST WE PAY THE FULL FEES?! And anything to bring in? Like printer or i dont know what to bring!

The remainder of the fees for the semester will be invoiced to you within a week of your check in.

Bring whatever you'll need to live in a home away from home. Toiletries, clothes, personal items, etc. You should probably wait till the check in day to take a look at your room and whatever is provided and available, and then decide on what else you need to bring from home. You will have lots of time to settle in during Week 0, since classes would not yet have begun.

A small printer in your room would certainly add a great deal of convenience.

MaryMount
06-21-2011, 05:16 PM
The remainder of the fees for the semester will be invoiced to you within a week of your check in.

Bring whatever you'll need to live in a home away from home. Toiletries, clothes, personal items, etc. You should probably wait till the check in day to take a look at your room and whatever is provided and available, and then decide on what else you need to bring from home. You will have lots of time to settle in during Week 0, since classes would not yet have begun.

AHA! THANKS ALOT! :)

By the way, which hall are you staying in? :D

Calikura
06-21-2011, 05:29 PM
AHA! THANKS ALOT! :)

By the way, which hall are you staying in? :D

Didn't manage to get hall - will be staying at PGP. Yourself?

MaryMount
06-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Didn't manage to get hall - will be staying at PGP. Yourself?

AHH! What a waste! ): I got into KR! But I dont know anyone there! Hahaha!

Calikura
06-21-2011, 05:47 PM
But I dont know anyone there!

That'll change within a matter of days!

plus
06-21-2011, 06:21 PM
I gotten PGP as well!
Hows the environment there? will there be very hot?? I am oni scare of this cuz my rooms are without air-con... Haizz

YiCheng
06-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks. I submitted my request last night and received the receipt this morning. So I think they just chose to ignore the appeal of accommodation, as they really fast in replying my request of receipt but till now they didn't reply my appeal xD

Anyway I'm ok with PGP. Just need to fight for crazy CCA points to get a place in halls =]

lavender
06-22-2011, 12:14 AM

A lan-wire is very helpful (or rather a must) for a stable internet connection. The latest cat-6 one is the best, but the older versions are still compatible. If you feel that you need more than 3 plugs, bring an extension plug or multi-plugs.

The amount of things you will need to bring will very much depend on your living habits.

Important to bring cleaning materials (broom, mop, cloth, newspaper, detergent, pail or what not) for the first check-in. The room will very very dusty, cos it has not been lived in for the past 3 months.

lemontea
06-23-2011, 09:58 AM
ellooo.
I've got PGP, as well! Room-type B, that is.
So I heard that there is no meal-plan for PGP residents, but I am not a dilligent cook.. Are there any food stalls, food court, or restaurants (yikes much? I was just wondering :P) near or within PGP? if there are, how much does the food usually cost there?

And how big is the common room, and is it perfectly fine to store my stuff in the public fridge with no concern of getting stolen?

Does a student have to buy a LAN-wire for himself for is it usually offered for free by the hostel?

if there are any seniors to help me out on this, pleaseee reply me. thanks!

hello! yes there are 2 food courts and 1 minimart (pretty well-stocked i would say) inside pgp itself so most people i know don't actually cook because there really isn't much time once school starts. I'm not so sure about the minimart but prices at the 2 food courts are much like what you can find outside.

The common room for my block (type B) is pretty okay & very well air conditioned. There always seem to be people there but you can always go other common rooms/study rooms around pgp, there's plenty of them you just have to know where to find lol. & about food storage, my personal advice is not to store too many at once in the fridge. it can get pretty messy when everyone else has moved in.

You can buy your LAN wire at the minimart.
HTH! =)

06-23-2011, 10:11 AM
ellooo.
I've got PGP, as well! Room-type B, that is.
So I heard that there is no meal-plan for PGP residents, but I am not a dilligent cook.. Are there any food stalls, food court, or restaurants (yikes much? I was just wondering :P) near or within PGP? if there are, how much does the food usually cost there?

And how big is the common room, and is it perfectly fine to store my stuff in the public fridge with no concern of getting stolen?

Does a student have to buy a LAN-wire for himself for is it usually offered for free by the hostel?

if there are any seniors to help me out on this, pleaseee reply me. thanks!

As mentioned by lemontea, there are 2 food courts in PGP and 1 so-called cafe that open usually until 8PM or 9PM. The food price range from $2.5 to $5, depends on what you want to it.

For the public fridge, it will depend on your luck, whether you get a good cluster mates or not. =)

Thanks. I submitted my request last night and received the receipt this morning. So I think they just chose to ignore the appeal of accommodation, as they really fast in replying my request of receipt but till now they didn't reply my appeal xD

Anyway I'm ok with PGP. Just need to fight for crazy CCA points to get a place in halls =]

For next year, they are not using CCA points system anymore. They will start implementing the RAS system. You can read it at this link

http://www.nus.edu.sg/osa/housing/undergraduate/Housing%20Scheme.html
http://www.nus.edu.sg/osa/housing/downloads/RAS%20Announcement.pdf

lemontea
06-25-2011, 09:31 AM
thanks, lemontea and 1234! you helped me a lot :)

Do you guys think it'll be helpful to bring a mechanical fan or a portable vacuum cleaner (my room has no air-con)? and is it okay to put posters and whatnots to customize the wall? how do people in PGP communicate with each other? is it in a much more separate, private environment than the other halls are? any facilities you may recommend? (like gym -- I saw somewhere on the website that you pay monthly to use it)

Thanks again, I'm quite ignorant of PGP and other things about NUS in general, as I'm an international.

ahh i see you don't exactly have to worry most people have no idea how its like until they moved in. if its convenient for you to bring the fan along then just bring! first sem was okay with just the ceiling fan but second sem the weather was just unbearable!! (well at least for my room) i'm not sure whether u want to bring the vacuum cleaner though pgp rooms aren't that big x)

posters are absolutely fine i think you can put anything up as long as you can take them down later. & yea communication wise, it IS more private than halls. there are no compulsory activities so i would say meeting people is not as easy as hall haha. i do know there's orientation (a month of activities if i'm not wrong) for international students so if you checked in early you can participate in some of them. There is a gym. you pay $15 for one sem's usage which is a pretty good deal but i'm not sure how its like never been inside there. i think when you check in there will be a student guide to bring you to your room and if he/she is rly nice they will tell you a lot about things in pgp. like mine who showed me where all the bus stops are etc etc :)

06-27-2011, 10:17 AM
thanks, lemontea and 1234! you helped me a lot :)

Do you guys think it'll be helpful to bring a mechanical fan or a portable vacuum cleaner (my room has no air-con)? and is it okay to put posters and whatnots to customize the wall? how do people in PGP communicate with each other? is it in a much more separate, private environment than the other halls are? any facilities you may recommend? (like gym -- I saw somewhere on the website that you pay monthly to use it)

Thanks again, I'm quite ignorant of PGP and other things about NUS in general, as I'm an international.

I think mechanical fan will be a good addition to your room, especially with this kind of weather lately.. For wall customization, as long as it can be taken down without leaving traces on the wall it should be fine (can use blue tack or something similar).

For the gym, if I am not wrong, before the semester officially start (week 1), you can use the gym for free. So, you can check it out before deciding whether you want to apply for the membership or not. You can also make use of the badminton courts, basketball courts, or the music rooms if you got spare time =)

Don't worry about it too much, after you get in, you will get used to it in a short while.. Cheers

Gaia
07-01-2011, 11:07 PM
I just got TH, single! What's it like?

saintoclock
07-11-2011, 12:49 PM
hi guys
was wondering if any of you is going for the kent rigdge fwoc? have u guys received any confirmation email?
haha thx in advance:)

minievie
07-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Hi, I got in PGP Type B this year O(∩_∩)O just wanna ask whether it is allowed to keep a personal refrigerator ~??????
I heard there're incidents of food stealing and I am quite worried about the cleanness of the public refridgerator.

07-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Hi, I got in PGP Type B this year O(∩_∩)O just wanna ask whether it is allowed to keep a personal refrigerator ~??????
I heard there're incidents of food stealing and I am quite worried about the cleanness of the public refridgerator.

I think there is an option for you to pay extra charge for having refrigerator in your room. For the incidents, you have to depend on your luck to get a good cluster mate...

jan
07-19-2011, 09:52 PM
hi, i wanna ask what the hall chinese meal type consists of? like what time of food, rice with dishes or.. ? oh, isit like lunchboxes or like 'buffet' style (self-service) ?

jan
07-19-2011, 10:11 PM
oh, also wanted to ask KE7 seniors, uhh... whats the culture there like? is there alot of dropping in to ppl's rooms/ is it more quiet comparitively? also, generally, whats the proportion of med students in KE7?

whats the condition of rooms there?

lavender
07-20-2011, 10:42 PM
oh, also wanted to ask KE7 seniors, uhh... whats the culture there like? is there alot of dropping in to ppl's rooms/ is it more quiet comparitively? also, generally, whats the proportion of med students in KE7?

whats the condition of rooms there?

Hi Jan,

KE7 is a diverse community where everyone is like family, which generally what dorms are like. Some say that it is like a modern kampung. I assume you are comparing to other halls, I would say dropping by at rooms and socialising activities will very much depend on your personality and the people you associate with. I have said this many times, the dynamic of a dorm changes each time when new intake comes in.

Med students take up a significant portion of the population. Most choose to stay in year 1 and 2 and leave hall after year 2 due to the demands of the curriculum. However, there are still a handful (approx 15 seniors that are year 3 and above) staying in KE7 now.

The rooms have been recently repainted and the hall has just under gone major renovations in the corridors this summer break. So the hall is in good condition. Although the building is 23 years old this year, it is still good. The furniture in the rooms are less than 10 years old.

jesfine
07-21-2011, 12:19 AM
ahh i see you don't exactly have to worry most people have no idea how its like until they moved in. if its convenient for you to bring the fan along then just bring! first sem was okay with just the ceiling fan but second sem the weather was just unbearable!! (well at least for my room) i'm not sure whether u want to bring the vacuum cleaner though pgp rooms aren't that big x)

posters are absolutely fine i think you can put anything up as long as you can take them down later. & yea communication wise, it IS more private than halls. there are no compulsory activities so i would say meeting people is not as easy as hall haha. i do know there's orientation (a month of activities if i'm not wrong) for international students so if you checked in early you can participate in some of them. There is a gym. you pay $15 for one sem's usage which is a pretty good deal but i'm not sure how its like never been inside there. i think when you check in there will be a student guide to bring you to your room and if he/she is rly nice they will tell you a lot about things in pgp. like mine who showed me where all the bus stops are etc etc :)

hi thr! im new to this thread. thx for the advice! im moving into PGP too and is it really diff to make frens? i was hoping to be able to make a few frens at least. :D thnks!! :)

lemontea
07-23-2011, 01:24 AM
hi thr! im new to this thread. thx for the advice! im moving into PGP too and is it really diff to make frens? i was hoping to be able to make a few frens at least. :D thnks!! :)

i think it really depends on your own effort & your cluster mates in general :) i did get to know a few of them through our cluster gatherings & my friends from other clusters have some really close company too. Don't be discouraged if you find it hard to meet people, in fact, i got to know most of my closer friends in pgp through CCA/activites in school. so you can make an effort to join something in school:) just don't get too anxious over this findingfriend thing haha, some things take time. hope you'll enjoy your stay here!

jesfine
07-24-2011, 01:47 AM
i think it really depends on your own effort & your cluster mates in general :) i did get to know a few of them through our cluster gatherings & my friends from other clusters have some really close company too. Don't be discouraged if you find it hard to meet people, in fact, i got to know most of my closer friends in pgp through CCA/activites in school. so you can make an effort to join something in school:) just don't get too anxious over this findingfriend thing haha, some things take time. hope you'll enjoy your stay here!

haha okok thnks for the advice!! sry to trouble u again! but how do u join or apply for the gym membership? :D thnks!!! XD

lemontea
07-25-2011, 11:04 AM
haha okok thnks for the advice!! sry to trouble u again! but how do u join or apply for the gym membership? :D thnks!!! XD

there will be notifications around pgp when they're starting to accept members i think

jesfine
07-26-2011, 09:46 PM
there will be notifications around pgp when they're starting to accept members i think

Alrighty then! thanks for your help! really appreciate it! :D

RNS
07-31-2011, 02:04 AM
Hi will be great if someone ans:)
do we have a personal mail address ? I'll like to ship my stuff over to the hall.

euporie
08-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Hi will be great if someone ans:)
do we have a personal mail address ? I'll like to ship my stuff over to the hall.

Hi, I'm not sure about all halls but yes, you have a general address to receive mail and you ask the sender to write your room number on it. However, the letters are all placed at a counter/place for residents to retrieve which means your mail can be "stolen" or "accidentally taken".

RNS
08-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Hi, I'm not sure about all halls but yes, you have a general address to receive mail and you ask the sender to write your room number on it. However, the letters are all placed at a counter/place for residents to retrieve which means your mail can be "stolen" or "accidentally taken".

Thanks a lot!

sugan
08-25-2011, 01:09 PM
hi, guys. Im from raffles hall
Hi, guy, we are having an event call Malaysia night,

so, i would like to invited everyone interest to attend the event( especially Malaysian),
We are selling shirts yo raie fund for this event.

(p;s for those interested in joining hall this are example of activities held in halls, you get to meet new people through such event too)

Ashearo
08-26-2011, 07:19 PM
hi, guys. Im from raffles hall
Hi, guy, we are having an event call Malaysia night,

so, i would like to invited everyone interest to attend the event( especially Malaysian),
We are selling shirts yo raie fund for this event.

(p;s for those interested in joining hall this are example of activities held in halls, you get to meet new people through such event too)

Is this a charity event, or an event to boost funds for the halls for whatever purpose? If it is not for charity, I will not allow the link to be posted. They have been tentatively removed until you clarify this.

dindin
03-05-2012, 10:24 PM
hi guys, just wondering if anyone is planning to stay in hall or something at NUS? cos my seniors were telling me about this exposure camp and stuff. Suppose to help us get to experience hall life even before school starts :)
c'mon join the camp as gang :) me don't wanna go alone :(

dindin
03-16-2012, 01:07 AM
GUYS! NUS OPEN HOUSE IS THIS SATURDAY AND SUNDAY!
come down to MPSH5 to check out for all the hall details !
heard about the Raffles HAll camp and heard that its gonna be fun! lets sign up together and have a glimpse of hall life!

have FUN FUN FUN before school starts!

teddybear
03-29-2012, 11:53 PM
If I cant make it for hall camps, does it mean i have lesser chance of getting in? ):

ssx
04-17-2012, 04:06 AM
If I cant make it for hall camps, does it mean i have lesser chance of getting in? ):

Just fill in the hall application properly. If you have CCAs/achievements to boast about, 80% of the time you'll be fine. ;)

pykrete
04-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Can you bring portable air-cons or tower fans into the halls? Or are air-conditioned rooms available?

brightmind
04-29-2012, 12:16 PM
HELLO EVERYONE.

Currently considering staying in hall when i matriculate this year.
Any kind seniors willing to share the different cultures of the different halls? Like which halls are sports-oriented, which ones cultural-oriented, which ones are those with a mix of everything and which ones are just not that happening?
Haha and can also share which one more competitive to get in, or even stay on for the following year?

Hoping to get a non-biased opinion.
THANKS!! =))

Pumpkin
04-29-2012, 04:08 PM
GUYS! NUS OPEN HOUSE IS THIS SATURDAY AND SUNDAY!
come down to MPSH5 to check out for all the hall details !
heard about the Raffles HAll camp and heard that its gonna be fun! lets sign up together and have a glimpse of hall life!

have FUN FUN FUN before school starts!

hi dindin!
I wna come along with you!! I cant make it for the openhouse though, I'm worried that the camp registry is only during openhouse.. :(

maryjane
05-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Hey guys!

With regards to registration we would like you to follow these TWO simple steps:

1) Print out the registration form below and fill it out! We require you to pass us this form in hard copy together with the camp fees (in cash only). Date and venue for payment and submission will be confirmed at a later date.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz2wWGedl_ZVN3Y3X3Q0Sy1VNWs/edit

2) Go to the link below and fill in this Google Docs Form. This is for us to track your response!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dC1JTVRBOERqZ2Z1Q3BMVVpIODZVVlE6M Q#gid=0

Alternatively, like our fb page http://www.facebook.com/RHEX2012 for updates and preview of the camp.

Do let us know if you have any queries or requests at [email protected]! :D We hope to see you at the camp! ♥

kallygirll
05-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Can you bring portable air-cons or tower fans into the halls? Or are air-conditioned rooms available?

OH YES! Such a smart plan! Portable air-cons! xD Are any of the halls air-conditioned? I tried finding information but I think only KR and the residences boasted about air-cons :S

I'm a big sucker for air-con xD

DONG
05-11-2012, 04:30 AM
OH YES! Such a smart plan! Portable air-cons! xD Are any of the halls air-conditioned? I tried finding information but I think only KR and the residences boasted about air-cons :S

I'm a big sucker for air-con xD

Nope all nus halls do not have air-con and we're not supposed to bring in portable air cons cos they use up a lot of electricity. but that doesn't really stop ppl from smuggling them in (;

freezin_fredz
05-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Hi people. My friends and I are going to be first year student sin NUS soon and we're debating whether it'd be better to stay in hall or PGP. Those who prefer PGP heard that hall life is very busy which can disrupt studies or your various commitments/activities since you have so many things to juggle. For me, I prefer halls because I kind of regretted not joining enough activities in JC and I think hall life would give me the opportunity to make new friends and learn new things. But the academics will still be my priority.

I think hall is definitely busier than PGP, right? May I know how much busier hall life is compared to PGP? Any other pros and cons are also welcome.

Easeab
05-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Nope all nus halls do not have air-con and we're not supposed to bring in portable air cons cos they use up a lot of electricity. but that doesn't really stop ppl from smuggling them in (;

Some halls do have aircon. Just pay more for it..

kallygirll
05-11-2012, 05:49 PM
@Easeab - Do you know which halls have aircon? It's all rather confusing to try to figure out. I don't mind paying more at all, not when it's aircon xD

I don't want to smuggle a portable aircon, I don't think I'm that desperate >.<

@freezin_ferdz - My cousin says that hall life is extremely hectic, especially if you want to continue staying there. PGP doesn't have activities, but you can still join the general CCA's in campus

Happygoose
05-11-2012, 06:53 PM
@Easeab - Do you know which halls have aircon? It's all rather confusing to try to figure out. I don't mind paying more at all, not when it's aircon xD

@freezin_ferdz - My cousin says that hall life is extremely hectic, especially if you want to continue staying there. PGP doesn't have activities, but you can still join the general CCA's in campus

I heard eusoff hall has lower requirements for students to continue staying in hall! But not sure if they reserve most of the rooms for med students.

jellybelly
05-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Hey sorry just to check, are we supposed to submit our cca records under the supporting documents section? Or is that only for the student card plus medical records?

And the student card is only for those who have already matriculated and not for incoming freshman right?

Easeab
05-12-2012, 07:42 AM

You can check out the nus webpage :) like abt the price and whatnot. They'll specify which hall has aircon rooms

DONG
05-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Some halls do have aircon. Just pay more for it..

I'm quite sure no halls have air con since the website does not even specify that they do!

Easeab
05-15-2012, 02:31 AM
I'm quite sure no halls have air con since the website does not even specify that they do!

Oops! My bad! Only PGP and those in u-town have aircon.

sooopernova.boy
05-15-2012, 12:39 PM

KE7 has a block with aircon rooms.

euporie
05-15-2012, 10:42 PM
KE7 hall has a block with aircon, there is a daily additional cost whether or not you use the aircon (I think it's $1.50 per day). If you are interested in staying in that aircon block, you indicate it under "requirements/remarks" when you apply for halls under the portal.

Assuming that you get into KE7 and the block has spare rooms, you will get to stay in the air con block. If you get into KE7 and they do not have spare rooms, then you will be allocated to a normal non-air con room.

There is no way to check which room you have been allocated until the date of check in (unless you know some insider) so I will encourage those who are ONLY interested in the air con rooms to find a senior or go to the office at KE7 to check and confirm.

As far as I know, no other halls have aircon.

lalasmileygirl
05-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Hi. For students in utown, is it true that we must pay a $200 acceptance fee every semester? In addition, anyone knows if the rates for the rooms with air con in utown is inclusive of the fee for usage of air con?

teddybear
05-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Need help, cant decide... should i take double room or single room ):

I like my 'me' time. and I feel quite not myself with people around me. (I think applies for most people) I not super anti social... but I like my own "down time" cause I quite chatty with people around me.

But then if i choose single room i think i will most prob live like a recluse leh. how??? ):

Easeab
05-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Need help, cant decide... should i take double room or single room ):

I like my 'me' time. and I feel quite not myself with people around me. (I think applies for most people) I not super anti social... but I like my own "down time" cause I quite chatty with people around me.

But then if i choose single room i think i will most prob live like a recluse leh. how??? ):

Hmm...you can consider the cost and whatnot? But remember for double room you can't choose roommates. (yeah can put preference, but most likely won't get same room). So if you're unlucky and get a roommate that's hard to get along with, you're not gonna enjoy your stay..

teddybear
05-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Hmm...you can consider the cost and whatnot? But remember for double room you can't choose roommates. (yeah can put preference, but most likely won't get same room). So if you're unlucky and get a roommate that's hard to get along with, you're not gonna enjoy your stay..

haha my reasons for double room
- room mate (even if it's someone i dont know)
-cost

my reasons for single room
- room mate (LOL)
- privacy

yea but i think im now more inclined to choose single :/

rainbowdream
05-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Hi, anyone has got pictures of ridge view residence's rooms? Is it noisy? Cos I noticed its quite near the field. Hows life there? Can fresh undergrades apply? Thanks a lot! :)

freezin_fredz
05-24-2012, 12:29 AM
Hi, anyone has got pictures of ridge view residence's rooms? Is it noisy? Cos I noticed its quite near the field. Hows life there? Can fresh undergrades apply? Thanks a lot! :)

I believe freshies cannot apply there. The only residence freshies can apply to is Prince George's Park.

rainbowdream
05-25-2012, 12:31 AM
I believe freshies cannot apply there. The only residence freshies can apply to is Prince George's Park.

Thanks for the info!:)

deborahcheok
05-26-2012, 02:00 AM
Anyone accepted into pgpr room C yet??

teddybear
05-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Anyone knows what to upload for supporting documents?

monkey29992
06-25-2012, 06:44 PM
If I choose a meal plan (for halls) now, may I change it after 1 semester? I want to try the vegetarian meal plan but I'm unsure whether I can switch if I don't like it...

alexiswu
05-15-2013, 11:14 PM
Hi i would like to ask about the culture of utown residential college and more specifically, tembusu college.

1. Does applying earlier gives you the higher chance of being accepted?
2.What if I don't get accepted to tembusu can I reapply to alice and peter or must I do both together?
3. I heard there is some sort of interview requirement as well how is it like besides asking the usual "how do you think you can contribute?" etc... are the interviewers profs or students?

THANK YOU SO MUCH :D any help at all will be appreciated

viones
06-03-2013, 12:02 AM
HHEY seniors!!
which hall is closest to FASS?

muhdsml
06-03-2013, 12:52 AM
in order of increasing distance from FASS (estimate):
eusoff, temasek, kent ridge, sheares, raffles.

eusoff and temasek are beside each other and are really close to FASS.

HTH!

viones
06-04-2013, 11:12 AM
in order of increasing distance from FASS (estimate):
eusoff, temasek, kent ridge, sheares, raffles.

eusoff and temasek are beside each other and are really close to FASS.

HTH!
Thanks! What about E7?
And may I know which hall is the newest?

muhdsml
06-08-2013, 10:52 AM
KE7 is pretty far from FASS, but i guess you can take bus A1 from the shuttle bus terminal behind KE to get to FASS.
not sure which hall is the newest-looking, but i guess thats kentridge and sheares.

CloudPiao
06-25-2013, 11:11 PM
Thanks! What about E7?
And may I know which hall is the newest?

Anywhere is really accessible by the shuttle bus service, except during peak hours. So it may be a good idea to choose a place nearby where your lessons will be:)
KE7 is good for Science or Medicine(can get to class in 5 mins!;)) and moderate distance to Business.
About newness of building, Kent Ridge or Shears are relatively new, but the other halls do renovate regularly. However, I don't know about how old the facilities or resources would be like.

AllForOne
06-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Hi, is it possible to do a mutual swap of rooms in NUS? I think it has to be the same gender or something?

If it's possible, is there anyone who is willing to swap their PGPR Type A room for my PGPR Type B room? Do PM me! (I am a female)

Thanks! :)

riellez
06-26-2013, 10:47 PM
Hi I just wanna ask what are the chances of getting a place in nus hostel if I am unsuccessful the first round? I already "appealed" showing interest for a place in hall using the link for unsuccessful applicants but I'm worried I won't get a place:( I thought I had a good chance in getting a place cus I thought I had good cca records:( was in exco for dance in jc. I didn't go for hall camps though cus i had an injury. Hope someone can enlighten me thank you!:):)

twistandkiss
01-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Hey guys!

Anyone wants to stay in NUS Kent Ridge Hall? Contact me because I am giving my room out for rent.

97331568 :)

much want soto
03-16-2014, 12:11 AM
Hi all! I'm an international student, and just got accepted in faculty of engineering.
And now I'm getting very excited about hostels and residences. I'm worried since i dont have much (if any) CCA activities to be proud of, i cant choose where i will be placed.
I'm already considering raffles hall and prince george's park residences. I performed some theatre at school performances and perform traditional music too. How high are my chances to get accepted in raffles and PGP?
And by the way, how is the social life in those two places? Are there many international students too?

kallygirll
03-17-2014, 02:16 PM
PGP is actually not technically a hall, but a residence (the difference is that in halls you tend to have to do hall CCA's to stay in them, and the CCA's you do for NUS usually don't count towards the 'points' they allocate to you to stay in hall).

It's not that hard to get a room in PGP, especially since you're an international student. But I think it's harder to make friends in PGP, because of the lack of need to do CCA's within PGP to stay in the future years.

Also, Raffles will be nearer to the Engineering faculty, and it's a hall so the social life would be more interesting than PGP. You could try out for Kent Ridge or Sheares too, but they're farther away from your faculty compared to Raffles.

Nearest to your faculty is Temasek and Eusoff, but they're pretty sports orientated halls.

Spam your CCA's on the application as much as you can, you'd be surprised that the "little" you've done could actually be quite a lot.

much want soto
03-17-2014, 04:05 PM
PGP is actually not technically a hall, but a residence (the difference is that in halls you tend to have to do hall CCA's to stay in them, and the CCA's you do for NUS usually don't count towards the 'points' they allocate to you to stay in hall).

It's not that hard to get a room in PGP, especially since you're an international student. But I think it's harder to make friends in PGP, because of the lack of need to do CCA's within PGP to stay in the future years.

Also, Raffles will be nearer to the Engineering faculty, and it's a hall so the social life would be more interesting than PGP. You could try out for Kent Ridge or Sheares too, but they're farther away from your faculty compared to Raffles.

Nearest to your faculty is Temasek and Eusoff, but they're pretty sports orientated halls.

Spam your CCA's on the application as much as you can, you'd be surprised that the "little" you've done could actually be quite a lot.

Thank you! It's very helpful :D

xCynical
04-20-2014, 01:23 PM
Hi everyone.

I was wondering whether it's a good idea to join hall if I'm not very athletic. Heard that we need to join lots of inter-hall games to earn points to stay in hall for subsequent years. The problem is that I get breathless easily and I get major heat rashes after engaging in physical activities :(

I would really like to try out hall life and I do stay really far from NUS. Should I try to apply for hall?

kallygirll
04-21-2014, 10:45 AM
You should definitely try it out. You don't need to join inter-hall games at all to stay in hall. I've stayed in KR (Kent Ridge) for 2 years (going 3), and I haven't joined a single sport :)

I think it's safe to say that there are a lot of committees/culture things you can do other than sports. I'm not sure how strong the other CCA's that aren't sports are halls like Temasek and Eusoff, but in KR or Sheares (Or KEVII) there are a LOT of other things you can do besides join a sport.

Culture is quite strong in KR, we have
Choir,
Acapella,
Rockers and Inspire (bands that song write or perform cover songs),
Dance,
KRX (acting group).

Then there's also all the committees, like:
Environmental Com (they do projects to save the environment),
Safety Committee (in charge of general safety in hall, and during big events like IHG, camps, etc),
PhotoCom (take photos during events),
Video Production Team (take videos/make videos for events),
Technical Support Unit (in charge of all our tech support in hall),
Welfare Comm (in charge of general welfare - basically food in hall >.<),
Block committee (in charge of block welfare within hall)
International Relations Committee (taking care of the international students in hall and integrating them into hall)
Chingay (either help out with costumes and the float, or actually be part of the parade)
KRaphics (Graphic design committee helping design posters, and such)
HDC (Hall decoration committee - help with decorating hall for events)
YEP (Raising funds and helping the underprivileged)

Flag, Rag, and FWOC (orientation committee) are committees you can join during the summer :)

There are loads more you can join (that I can't think of right now). But yeah, definitely more to hall life than sports!

xCynical
04-21-2014, 12:12 PM
You should definitely try it out. You don't need to join inter-hall games at all to stay in hall. I've stayed in KR (Kent Ridge) for 2 years (going 3), and I haven't joined a single sport :)

I think it's safe to say that there are a lot of committees/culture things you can do other than sports. I'm not sure how strong the other CCA's that aren't sports are halls like Temasek and Eusoff, but in KR or Sheares (Or KEVII) there are a LOT of other things you can do besides join a sport.

Culture is quite strong in KR, we have
Choir,
Acapella,
Rockers and Inspire (bands that song write or perform cover songs),
Dance,
KRX (acting group).

Then there's also all the committees, like:
Environmental Com (they do projects to save the environment),
Safety Committee (in charge of general safety in hall, and during big events like IHG, camps, etc),
PhotoCom (take photos during events),
Video Production Team (take videos/make videos for events),
Technical Support Unit (in charge of all our tech support in hall),
Welfare Comm (in charge of general welfare - basically food in hall >.<),
Block committee (in charge of block welfare within hall)
International Relations Committee (taking care of the international students in hall and integrating them into hall)
Chingay (either help out with costumes and the float, or actually be part of the parade)
KRaphics (Graphic design committee helping design posters, and such)
HDC (Hall decoration committee - help with decorating hall for events)
YEP (Raising funds and helping the underprivileged)

Flag, Rag, and FWOC (orientation committee) are committees you can join during the summer :)

There are loads more you can join (that I can't think of right now). But yeah, definitely more to hall life than sports!

Thanks for your reply! That was really nice to hear, I feel more relieved now :)

Anyway, is it true that some halls are easier to get in than others? ie. In terms of the no. of freshmen intake.

monkey29992
04-21-2014, 07:05 PM
Same here! I have been in hall for 2 years and I haven't joined any sport. Idk about other halls but in Eusoff (where I'm staying) even if you're not athletic but interested in trying out sports, you definitely can! I know the sportsmen are very welcoming and accommodating for the newbies who want to try out, so no pressure really. And if you don't want to join sports there are a bunch of other things that you can join too! Although people think we are a sports hall but we also do lots of other things (just like the other halls probably) like Dance Production, A Cappella, Drama, and committees like Voluntary Corps and Expeditions (OCIP), and you're definitely not discriminated against if you're not athletic haha.

About the intake I'm not really sure, it's true that some halls are bigger and have more spaces but idk what's the ratio/quota. Most halls will fill up all their space so I imagine it won't be that difficult? Just try to apply, I think it will be a fun experience to have in NUS! :D

allriseblue11
05-12-2014, 11:08 AM
Hi,

I'm an incoming freshman! Just wanna know if choosing to stay in residences (eg PGR) means having to do extra modules?

ToothLes
05-14-2014, 12:02 AM
HI, Im also an incoming freshman. Would like to ask which Halls (I've been warned against PGP by most) are best suited for dentistry students, in terms for having the best balance of fun without taking up too much time? Cos I heard that dentistry is damn siao on one. Am I being too paranoid?

monkey29992
05-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Hi,

I'm an incoming freshman! Just wanna know if choosing to stay in residences (eg PGR) means having to do extra modules?

Nope, you only do extra modules in Residential College (UTown's Tembusu, College of Alice and Peter Tan...) And it's not exactly "extra", because those modules are counted to your compulsory "unrestricted electives" that every student in NUS must take no matter what. Just that you have to take some of these electives at your residential college.

HI, Im also an incoming freshman. Would like to ask which Halls (I've been warned against PGP by most) are best suited for dentistry students, in terms for having the best balance of fun without taking up too much time? Cos I heard that dentistry is damn siao on one. Am I being too paranoid?

I have a friend doing Dentistry staying in Eusoff! It's not easy to stay away from the norms and sleep before midnight, but if you have the will you can do it. She's also gained enough points to stay next year, so ya I think the workload is manageable, just that you have to manage it well and be disciplined.

allriseblue11
05-16-2014, 09:48 AM
I've been warned against PGP by most

Why have you been warned against PGP???

allriseblue11
05-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Thank you!

daisyyjx
05-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Hi just wondering what kind of culture does the King Edward VII hall has? Am thinking of choosing between halls and student residences( PGPR) that are closer to science faulty cuz i'm reading pharmacy which is at sci faulty :p

xCynical
05-21-2014, 06:53 PM
Hi.

To those staying in single rooms of halls/PGP, may I know how many units share the corridor toilet? And how many cubicles/shower rooms are there in the toilet?
Haha, random question :)

wakakka
05-21-2014, 10:15 PM
Has anyone started applying for halls (NUS)? There is a section in the application saying "cca remarks", any idea what it means?

allriseblue11
05-22-2014, 07:17 AM
Has anyone started applying for halls (NUS)? There is a section in the application saying "cca remarks", any idea what it means?

I've started my application too! I'm not sure about that too... >< I think it's for you to state any leadership positions you had in your CCA?

Artsorientationweek2014
05-23-2014, 10:06 AM
Hi Guys! We're from the organizing committee of the annual Arts orientation week (O'Week) for the freshmen. Arts O'Week is a 5 day camp held in August for all incoming FASS students (regardless of major) held in August before school starts! Join to make new friends, learn about NUS/FASS and integrate into university life!

Registration opens soon!! Like our Facebook page to keep in the know!

https://www.facebook.com/FASSOweek14

Twitter: FASSOweek14
Instagram: FASSOweek14

wakakka
05-23-2014, 10:38 AM
I've started my application too! I'm not sure about that too... >< I think it's for you to state any leadership positions you had in your CCA?

ohh anyway i decided to leave it blank since i included my leadership position in the second box :)

xCynical
05-31-2014, 02:13 PM
Hi. Does anyone know how's the traveling time like from Raffles Hall to FASS?

PuiYee
06-01-2014, 12:15 AM
Hi guys!

Join the NUS Freshmen AY 2014/2015 group if you are not part of it yet!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1437009853217549/

Chucky Chunky
06-18-2014, 09:29 PM
Anyone received any acceptance from any halls yet??

allriseblue11
06-19-2014, 08:05 AM
Some of my camp OG mates got their confirmation into Eusoff hall alr! Another got into temasek. But mine is still "pending"...

Chucky Chunky
06-19-2014, 08:57 AM
Some of my camp OG mates got their confirmation into Eusoff hall alr! Another got into temasek. But mine is still "pending"...

Does that mean we are on waiting list... :/ cuz i really wanna get into hall!!

Chucky Chunky
06-25-2014, 07:04 PM
Mine says 'unsuccessful' today and nothing else! I cant click on anything! Isit the problem with the portal again or isit really unsuccessful?? Someone help!!

Chucky Chunky
06-25-2014, 07:55 PM
Someone please please help me! Im finding it strange because my friend who got the results today is also unsuccessful... ive heard of technical errors on the portal and im wondering if thats possible...? I only have the option of staying in hall... the supposed date of release of results is 26 june and todays the 25th... isit possible that they will change it tmr...?

wakakka
06-25-2014, 09:18 PM
Someone please please help me! Im finding it strange because my friend who got the results today is also unsuccessful... ive heard of technical errors on the portal and im wondering if thats possible...? I only have the option of staying in hall... the supposed date of release of results is 26 june and todays the 25th... isit possible that they will change it tmr...?

Hi. Sorry to hear that you were unsuccessful... but i got my results today too. I got offered but i wasnt able to see which hall it is. So um i dont think there should be technical errors >_< maybe you can try for the less popular halls or PGP in the second application phase!

x_honglun
06-26-2014, 04:55 PM
Mine says 'unsuccessful' today and nothing else! I cant click on anything! Isit the problem with the portal again or isit really unsuccessful?? Someone help!!

Yes, very unfortunately it means that you're not offered a room for the upcoming AY.

aurora_16
06-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Hi everyone!!

My friend was offered Kent Ridge Hall today but would like to know if anyone has successfully did an inter-hostel swap with someone before? (He wants PGP residence) According to the NUS website "mutual swaps or transfers are not possible except under exceptional circumstances. Residents in such a scenario will be processed individually based on availability."

Reasons why he doesn't want hall:
1) He intends to do double degree and thinks he may not cope with the fulfilment of points to stay in hall.
2) Not the enthu type who likes hall activities.

I appreciate any response/advice given! Thank you :)

Pamz
07-02-2014, 10:56 PM
anybody planning to stay in hall? if so, which one are you intending to stay in? :)

and what's hall life all about? :eek:

I came from Temasek Hall and had so much fun during my 4 years of stay along with my roommates. All of the other halls including Eusoff Hall, Kent Ridge Hall and Sheares Hall are also clean and safe and I suggest you see each one before making a decision. Anyway, living in a hall trains you to become independent. It gives you a bigger opportunity to explore your capabilities and work on your own. It also gives you the chance to make a lot of friends and adjust to different behaviors.

Jxaixiaozhu
07-13-2014, 05:04 PM
Didn't manage to get kr

caragurl
07-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Anyone from business not accepted to hall/residences?

xCynical
07-17-2014, 11:05 AM
Does Anyone know how the travelling time is like from PGP to FASS?

ashley88
03-02-2015, 07:29 PM
For those who are interested about hall life in NUS, here is some input from a current Year One student  There are six halls in NUS – Temasek, Sheares, Kent Ridge, Raffles, Eusoff and King Edward VII (KE VII). About this time last year when I was looking up the net for more details about halls last year, I realised that there were relatively less information about Raffles (RH) and KE VII Halls so I was rather clueless about them. Therefore, I hope this post will help to deepen your understanding about my residence, Raffles Hall.

Despite how Temasek and Eusoff Halls are known for being in really close proximity to Arts, please be assured that RH is near to Arts too. I was worried at first about the location of RH but upon moving in, I feel the need to clarify that RH is NOT in some deserted area of NUS :p On the contrary, it is situated in a prime location – it takes me 5 minutes (brisk walk) to reach my faculty (Arts), 5 minutes (by bus) to Utown (we are right opposite Utown!), 3 minutes to Yusof Ishak House, 3 minutes to Sports and Recreation Centre (I am absolutely thankful for this during exams period because this is where exams are held), 5 minutes to University Health Centre and 5 minutes to University Cultural Centre. This is an even greater location for Engineering students because it is just a 2 minutes (not kidding) walk away. Having said that, although there are many Engin students here, there are actually many students from other faculties as well – Dentistry, Law, Arts, Business, Pharmacy, just to name a few.

Regarding CCAs, we have a huge variety as well! There are so many people who tried activities they never imagined themselves doing. To avoid an overly lengthy post, I shall only introduce two groups of CCAs. For arts groups, we have Unplugged (Acoustic bands), RHockerfellas (Rock bands), RHythm (Acapella), RH Voices (Choir), RHebels (Instruments), RH Dance and RH Drama, which perform in frequent gigs and are even invited to take on big stages during University events. We have our annual RH Musical Production (RHMP) as well which allows people of different talents to run the show played in front of 1700 spectators! Everything is done by our own residents – the music, sets, script, directing, costumes, choreography, design and lightings – and it is really amazing seeing everything being pieced together at the end.

RH is very welcoming towards people who are not athletic too (like me)! I was given the chance to join any sports I am interested in; trainings will be provided and the sessions are not too frequent and lengthy too! There are many people who joined 5-6 sports at a time out of interest and are still coping fine  We have sports like Takraw, Swimming, Road Relay, Squash and Touch Rugby (they are one of the MANY sports we provide), even less common sports like Handball and Frisbee! Unlike what most people think, RH have many sports which clinch first/ second placing in the annual Inter-Hall Games – Handball, Frisbee, Swimming, Table Tennis, Soccer, just to mention a few.

Just to sum up, it is not difficult to earn points in hall; just make sure you don’t phantom too much and join two to three CCAs you really enjoy so that you are willing to contribute. There is a good work-life balance as people here study hard and play hard, so there is definitely privacy (I cannot stress this enough!) and time to study whenever you want 
Sorry for this very long post but I hope it’s a good read for you  If you want more details, do visit the RH Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/RafflesHall, the RH Promotion board Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/raffleshpb and the RH Promotion Board Instagram: raffles_hpb

Do note that Open Day is on 14 March 2015 and we will have a booth then!  Our Exposure Camp is from 1-3 June 2015, so please keep watch on our websites to find out more details about it! Here’s hoping that with more knowledge about RH, you will make RH your first choice; I have never regretted joining RH and I am sure you won’t too! 

ashley88
03-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Hi. Does anyone know how's the traveling time like from Raffles Hall to FASS?

It's about 2 minutes by bus and 5 minutes if you walk briskly; RH is actually really near to FASS!

Sellnotes
03-13-2015, 09:47 PM
After reading a sharing by ashley88, I am going to share my experience in one of the quieter hall, King edward vii hall! As mentioned by ashley88 earlier also, there is relatively less information regarding this hall and people from this hall are deemed to be less "happening" or "fun" so i hope my sharing will be beneficial to the incoming freshies. After spending nearly 2 years in king edward vii hall, kevii or KE7 or KE we call it, i dont think it is fair to label all of us as less "happening" or "fun". It pretty much depends on who you mix with. Hall life can be rather fun if you are willing to bond with your hall mates by going for suppers, events like halloween night, formal hall dinners, D&D, hall productions, laser tag, e-games night, foosball tournament, night cycling, interblock games etc. However, if you choose to be a recluse or "phantom" who doesnt join any events, your hall life will be rather dull. So it actually all depends on yourself, how fun your hall life will be is up to you to decide; there are many events organised and if you actually go for them, you can make new friends and have some fun.

Also, most people from ke7 are science/medicine/dentistry people and our timetables are rather packed. For science students, most of us will have lab sessions, which can last up to 6 hours (chemistry hahaha). Lab reports are rather time-consuming to complete too. For medicine and dentistry people, our lessons start at 8.30am and 8am respectively and may end as late as 5pm very often. Naturally, we definitely have less time compared to biz or arts students who can create a free day or two in their timetable (and who usually go to the 4 halls located near arts/biz/computing). The amount of free time spent in hall is definitely less and this is actually one of the few reasons why some students have less time to spare to join events. Nonetheless, this, in a way, provides a work-play balance for students.

I have also found ke7 a very convenient hall. It is just 7 mins away from KR mrt and med/dentistry/science fac is within walking distance. Even if you're not from med/dentistry/science, we even have the internal shuttle bus terminal near D block of our hall (which usually guarantees you a seat on the bus) to your faculty. Tbh, it is actually quite hard to get up the shuttle bus once the bus passes by KR mrt so being at the terminal is rather good. There also a bus (BTC) at the terminal which can bring you to the law campus and botanic gardens MRT. Food-wise, on saturdays where there are no meals planned, there are 2 canteens just opposite our hall inside PGP. There's even a supper snack store located inside PGP.

Though many people say that our hall is old and off-putting, we actually have one of the largest rooms among all the halls of NUS. Besides, the facilities are functional and some have been renovated previously. We even have a newly furnished recreation room with a mahjong table and a foosball table.

I hope my experience has provided more information to the potential incoming freshies! Lastly, you get to make friends with future doctors, dentists, scientists/profs and lawyers (and even hook one of them up hahahah) ;)

Pao
04-22-2015, 10:37 AM
HELLO!!

Any kind NUS seniors keen to share their opinions about the different halls?? Like does each hall have a certain type of "personality", e.g. sporty, party, etc? I have heard from some that KR is more of the party kind of hall, whereas TH and Eusoff are sporty. Anything else you want to share about your hall?

P.S. I don't mean to generalise or assign any stereotype to the halls, I just want to find out which one would suit me best :) I'm not exactly a very hyper or super enthu person so KR doesn't seem to suit me, but I do like playing sports so I'm considering TH and Eusoff. I still would like to find out more about the different hall cultures though!

Will appreciate any helpful replies loads :) thanks!

wakakka
04-24-2015, 10:39 PM
HELLO!!

Any kind NUS seniors keen to share their opinions about the different halls?? Like does each hall have a certain type of "personality", e.g. sporty, party, etc? I have heard from some that KR is more of the party kind of hall, whereas TH and Eusoff are sporty. Anything else you want to share about your hall?

P.S. I don't mean to generalise or assign any stereotype to the halls, I just want to find out which one would suit me best :) I'm not exactly a very hyper or super enthu person so KR doesn't seem to suit me, but I do like playing sports so I'm considering TH and Eusoff. I still would like to find out more about the different hall cultures though!

Will appreciate any helpful replies loads :) thanks!

im not a hall resident anymore but here is my opinion of the diff halls.

raffles - culture-ish, a lot of engin students
TH eusoff - sports
KR - culture-ish, very rara and active
king edward 7 - culture-ish and a lot of medicine/science students
sheares - i dont know

but if i were you, i'd go for a hall that's near my faculty haha

also, my 2 cents, the more active halls like TH, KR and sheares tend to have lots of late night meetings (i rmb reading about one hall having it until about 3am??) and those halls are not exactly easy to get in unless you have connections or a spectacular portfolio.....

i know of some halls having exposure camps though..sheares conquest, king edward 7 open hall experience, there are more definitely, probably need to check the hall's facebook or indicated interest during nus open day.. maybe you can sign up for the exposure camps to have a better idea of the halls available :)

stellajjay
04-25-2015, 08:54 PM
If you're good at your sport, Eusoff would welcome you with open arms. The culture is very much sports-oriented and you'll have fun joining CCAs if you're athletic or at least have a niche sport. It's also a pretty good place to learn new sports and pick up new interests, like dance or acapella. The annual dance productions are quite a big thing so if you're good at dance, or simply interested in trying out dance, that would suit you too.

A word of caution though-I'm not sure if it's just hall culture in general or specific to EH, but people here are generally quite outgoing and active. After all, most are in hall to socialise and make friends. So if you're not the extroverted type, there's a likelihood that you may find yourself on a different wavelength. Most of the residents are friendly and fun-loving, but if you want to be involved in hall life and really get close to others, be prepared to give up personal time and space.

Of course, this is a generalisation and I'm pretty sure that among all the people in hall and all the activities you can join, you'll be able to find friends on the same frequency. You could also end up becoming more sociable and opening up, which is a good thing!

Do remember that hall life is what you make it out to be. Depending on what you hope to gain out of it, hall can be a very different experience for different types of people.

hey yo
05-25-2015, 03:30 AM
I am once a KR resident so I am just going to write a bit abt the life in KR. I guess one of the most heard of culture of KR is that it is a clubber hall. I would say it does not apply to everyone in the hall and it is mostly the minority who clubs. However, it is indeed a very active hall. Block activities/supper occurs at least once every 2 weeks and you can expect more if you join lots of hall ccas. Periods during IHG and IBG will be crazily hectic as the seniors will jio to go down to support/play and for a yr 1, it is pretty hard to turn them down. Usually hall activities occur at night time and can last past midnight at times. Seniors are generally very funny and there is an open door policy where you are supposed to open the doors when you are in. It helps foster neighbourly love ehehe and you will definitely make close friends. I guess friends are the best takeaway from hall for me.

It is accessible to every part of the school. I come from science so my lessons at utown and science can be reached in 20 mins (cause of the waiting time for the bus) FASS and biz are basically walkable. There is a busstop near the hall so you can reach KR from Haw Par Villa MRT easily. THis is useful 'cause when you return back to hall on sunday night, there is no need to wait for internal shuttle bus that will take ages.

Hall has been an amazing experience for me for I tried new things and made new friends. However, be prepared to commit to hall if you wish to stay onto the next year. 4 CCAs is a minimum but not an guarantee. Plus it is not that easy to get into those CCAs since most people pull strings to get in and it is not as fair as you think it is. I am not the very fun-loving person, so hall life was a bit too much for me. PLus i dun live that far away so I am not staying on. My two cents worth of thoughts about KR.

Hello95
05-25-2015, 11:03 PM
4 ccas? Isnt that abit too much? Can you tell us more about how much time you spent on all these ccas which you felt was overwhelming and taking too much of your time hence leading you to steer clear of hall life?

1qaz
05-29-2015, 06:04 PM
Hi seniors

Does anyone know that besides King Edward VII Hall, which Hall is the closest/takes the least travel time (via shuttle bus) to Medicine? THANKS! :)

LittleToastbox
06-01-2015, 11:37 PM
Hey guys, I'm going to be matriculating into NUS this year and I'll be in FASS. Can anyone tell me which halls I should apply for?

innumerabilis
06-11-2015, 05:38 AM
Hey guys, I'm going to be matriculating into NUS this year and I'll be in FASS. Can anyone tell me which halls I should apply for?

For FASS, I'd recommend Eusoff or Temasek as they are the nearest halls.

LittleToastbox
06-29-2015, 02:04 AM
For FASS, I'd recommend Eusoff or Temasek as they are the nearest halls.

Hey sorry for the late reply! I tried applying for them but it was unsuccessful :( I was wondering if it's because I'm already in Tembusu's reserve list. Can this be a reason why my application was unsuccessful?

innumerabilis
06-29-2015, 09:05 PM
Hey sorry for the late reply! I tried applying for them but it was unsuccessful :( I was wondering if it's because I'm already in Tembusu's reserve list. Can this be a reason why my application was unsuccessful?

Not sure if your Tembusu reserve list has anything to do with it, but Eusoff and Temasek are very popular halls. They are probably over-subscribed, and can afford to be very picky.

aaashwinnn
12-23-2015, 05:18 PM
I will be matriculating in 2017 and studying law which is over at the Bukit Timah campus. I was hoping that someone who is studying law and is also staying at one of Utown residential colleges could shed some light on his/her experience. Getting to and fro from the BT campus? Work load (considering the added workload from the UTCP)? Thank you!

jhsjhr
04-10-2016, 08:59 PM
I will be matriculating in 2017 and studying law which is over at the Bukit Timah campus. I was hoping that someone who is studying law and is also staying at one of Utown residential colleges could shed some light on his/her experience. Getting to and fro from the BT campus? Work load (considering the added workload from the UTCP)? Thank you!

Would appreciate if anyone had an answer for this question. Relevant to me as well!

monkey29992
04-12-2016, 12:35 AM

I don't think the shuttle bus from the Kent Ridge campus to BTC has a stop in UTown - so if you want to stay there you probably will have to walk/take a bus from UTown to the Kent Ridge campus (the walk from any RC to the nearest bus stop which is near the Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum is about 5-10 minutes depending on which RC) and then take the BTC shuttle bus. Alternatively, you can stay in one of the halls in the KR campus or the Ridge View Residential College which is also in the KR campus instead of UTown.

I don't stay in UTown so I'm not sure about the workload. But I have had seniors who studied Law and stayed in Eusoff Hall for the whole 4 years. He was very active in hall too - at the end of the day it's your choice whether to be involved or not :)

Jasmine855
04-21-2017, 11:28 PM
I am thinking of halls and student residence i.e PGP as I am not very interested in the academic program offered by residential college (students can stay for 2nd year without needing to earn points seems appealing tho ><)

A bit about myself:
-I am not a very outgoing/active person but in uni I would like to break out of my shell and expand my social circle.
-I am likely to join Red Cross &kpop dance (my interests)
- However I don't like it when I feel forced to do something I am not interested in, especially when my schedule is tight. That means if I were to be in hall, the points system might be quite stressful for me :/
- I hope to stay in hostel throughout my 4 years in uni as I dont wish to waste time travelling to and from school.

I heard that it's easier to get into hall in 1st year, so I guess i'll try it? If I don't get enough points to stay for the next year, can I move to PGP? Is it easy for 2/3/4th year student to get into PGP?

Regarding hall points, which are the halls that require less points? I heard that raffles hall is one of those with less demanding level of activities... If thats true I will probably aim for it.

I really need some advice and your help is deeply appreciated!!

(You may reply at my thread here) http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=18195

Zarofon
05-18-2017, 05:03 PM
I am thinking about joining KE7 hall but the CCAs that I'm more interested in (martial arts haha) are unavailable in the hall so I'm wondering if I'll be able to take those up and still be sufficiently involved in hall to earn my stay the next year. Alternatively was thinking of trying for an RC if I get kicked out but I really want to stay in the hall as long as possible.

p.s will be matriculating as a med student so workload will be p intense :eek:

gx159265
05-22-2017, 08:56 AM
I am thinking about joining KE7 hall but the CCAs that I'm more interested in (martial arts haha) are unavailable in the hall so I'm wondering if I'll be able to take those up and still be sufficiently involved in hall to earn my stay the next year. Alternatively was thinking of trying for an RC if I get kicked out but I really want to stay in the hall as long as possible.

p.s will be matriculating as a med student so workload will be p intense :eek:

There is Chinese Wushu in KE7 ^^