PDA

View Full Version : NUS Hall Life

Pages : [1] 2

elee
06-10-2008, 09:47 AM
anybody planning to stay in hall? if so, which one are you intending to stay in? :)

and what's hall life all about? :eek:

Michelle
06-10-2008, 02:35 PM
I stayed at Temasek Hall eons ago. Hall life is a blast... 12midnight committee meetings, torturing freshmen, movie marathons, Fong Seng and 5mins walk to classes! :)

minmin
06-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Hello, how do you gain pts to continue to stay in Hall?

Anyway, with 6 halls in NUS, anyone has any advice which one to choose?

Michelle
06-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Points are gained when you join activities and committees. Meaning you really need to be active if you want to stay one. If you can, go for leadership roles like presidents/chairman/captain etc etc. Those got more points.

Anyway, that's the whole point of staying in a hall - to interact and have fun, plus some independence. No point if you just want to have a place to sleep... :p

As for which hall... i think they are all alright. During my time, TH was the hardest to get in and stay on. But different halls got different culture and strengths. Go ask your seniors!

elee
06-10-2008, 05:16 PM
i think the most convenient way to decide which hall to stay in is to find out which are the ones nearer to your faculty.

if you are more concerned with the their respective cultures, these are some of the opinions i heard from seniors:

Sheares and Kent Ridge Halls are the newer halls. All single rooms.

Temasek and Eusoff (if i din remember wrongly) are the sports hall, meaning they perform well in sports.

The hall nearer to Science is the not-so-active hall.

:)

LockT31W
06-10-2008, 06:43 PM
i think the most convenient way to decide which hall to stay in is to find out which are the ones nearer to your faculty.

if you are more concerned with the their respective cultures, these are some of the opinions i heard from seniors:

Temasek and Eusoff (if i din remember wrongly) are the sports hall, meaning they perform well in sports.

i think it's equally important to look at the facilities :D for example, I think only a handful of NTU halls have air-con. if you're an eskimo like me, you're gonna have to consider that for example.

kemise89
06-11-2008, 12:15 AM
i think it's equally important to look at the facilities :D for example, I think only a handful of NTU halls have air-con. if you're an eskimo like me, you're gonna have to consider that for example.

lol everyone posting here but no one posting in my ntu hotel thread:p so i presume there are more nus seniors here compared to ntu:p hahah!

abcde
06-11-2008, 07:25 PM

Hmm Temasek and Eusoff are the sports halls? Does tt mean if you have a cca strong in sports u will have a higher chance of getting into these halls then those who hv more arts-inclined CCA portfolios?
I wonder if CCA is the only factor they look at when freshmen apply for hostels. Do they take into account distance frm home too, and which factor's more impt?

minmin
06-11-2008, 10:53 PM
hey ya. anyone knows if for eg. you are good at running but not as good as those trackers. will eg. Temasek hall which has alot of good trackers be sending all those who are interested in joining track and field of IHG?

Zyvroklsayt
06-12-2008, 12:31 AM
I'm applying into Raffles Hall as 1st Choice, Eusoff as 2nd. Both are due to faculty proximity reasons, but there's another small reason for Raffles, which.. yeah. not now. :)

Anyone else applying?

elee
06-12-2008, 09:40 AM
hey abcde,

i have no idea regarding how the selection process goes, so sorry :( what i know is all applications will be forwarded to the seniors in the respective halls, and they will decide who to pick. so it does sound probable that say, the sports hall, select people who are strong in sports to join them. however i think they will also welcome people from non-sports backgrounds, otherwise wun their hall be very boring :eek:

i don't think they will take into account the distance from home that much. probably more on whether you attended their orientation camps and whether you have seniors or friends in the hall who can help pull you in.

zyvroklsayt,

HMMM.. your 10-year-crush living in raffles hall or something? :p

hey minmim,

oh no that i have no idea!

ScK
06-12-2008, 09:52 AM
i got eusoff hall which is my 1st choice.. =)

>> zyvrok : wat is e small reason?? cant mention ar??

Zyvroklsayt
06-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Ouch!

I just got booted to PGPR!

Urgh. :(

:P

elee
06-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Ouch!

I just got booted to PGPR!

Urgh. :(

:P

HUH. you guys already know your results?! that's duper fast! i havent even submotted my application!

OHH. PGPR's not a hall, it's residences, so they actually dun participate in IHG and dun have that many activities. it's okay, you can still take the internal shuttle bus to visit your 10-year-crush at Raffles Hall. *runs away*

nanachan
06-15-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm applying into Raffles Hall as 1st Choice, Eusoff as 2nd. Both are due to faculty proximity reasons, but there's another small reason for Raffles, which.. yeah. not now. :)

Anyone else applying?

hmm.. supposedly raffles is easier to get in than eusoff..

Zyvroklsayt
06-26-2008, 12:51 AM
Hey.. so I guess I'm in PGPR then, hope they give me the cheapest room. :D

No one else gonna be in the halls and such?

DaZz
06-26-2008, 09:07 PM
Hey.. so I guess I'm in PGPR then, hope they give me the cheapest room. :D

No one else gonna be in the halls and such?

Anw..hostel fees will be raising starting from next year.. such a turn off especially for those with financial difficulties..:(

Zyvroklsayt
06-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Well... maybe it'll comfort you that there are some of us with no other choice than to stay there. :P... ie that's the least financially-draining option we have. :P

hehez

Ashearo
06-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Well... maybe it'll comfort you that there are some of us with no other choice than to stay there. :P... ie that's the least financially-draining option we have. :P

hehez

I thought its cheaper to stay at home and take public transport to university? :P

Zyvroklsayt
06-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Erm... <embarrassed> how to say... um... non-Singaporean? :(

Ashearo
06-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Erm... <embarrassed> how to say... um... non-Singaporean? :(

Oh, you dont have to be embarassed man. This nation was all immigrants decades ago. You just came a little later. Big deal? Well then looks like you got a lot of work to do to stay in hall for all 4 years then. :)

Zyvroklsayt
06-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Ahaha.. worse still.. I'm in a DDP.. gotta make that 5 lol. :P

Ashearo
06-29-2008, 10:53 PM

More work to do then :P Or you could try and find a place off campus :P

DaZz
06-30-2008, 08:31 PM

Im in a DDP too.. which DDP are you in? Is it still possible to stay in a hostel and take DDP, as in interms of time available for you to study and to take up hostel activities?

Ashearo
06-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Im in a DDP too.. which DDP are you in? Is it still possible to stay in a hostel and take DDP, as in interms of time available for you to study and to take up hostel activities?

Personally, I feel that it will still possible to stay in hostel and take DDP, but prolly only for the first year. Second year onwards you gotta fight for places, and thats gonna be quite hard given that you have to study a lot more than others, and you have to participate in a lot of activities (both CCA and hall ones) to "earn points". It will prolly depend on how well you manage your time and whether you can endure such a vigorous life. Good luck!

DaZz
07-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Personally, I feel that it will still possible to stay in hostel and take DDP, but prolly only for the first year. Second year onwards you gotta fight for places, and thats gonna be quite hard given that you have to study a lot more than others, and you have to participate in a lot of activities (both CCA and hall ones) to "earn points". It will prolly depend on how well you manage your time and whether you can endure such a vigorous life. Good luck!

I hope i will be able to balance.. cos i really wanted to do a DDP..and i dunwanna compromise on staying in hostel too..

ultrapeanut!
07-02-2008, 11:56 AM
HEY! i just got into a hall and it's my first choice but i changed my mind, i wna get into another hall): i emailed them already but there is no reply yet. do you think they will let me into another hall??

ultrapeanut!
07-02-2008, 12:00 PM
oh if you dont stay in the hall int he first year, will it be very tough for you to get in the 2nd year?

elee
07-02-2008, 02:10 PM
HEY! i just got into a hall and it's my first choice but i changed my mind, i wna get into another hall): i emailed them already but there is no reply yet. do you think they will let me into another hall??

i will say it's probably going to be rather difficult ): there's bound to be a lot more applicants than places available, so those who didnt get in will be put on the waiting list. And seniors will try their best to pull those who've attended their camp & who're going for their rag in first. in other words you'll most likely be very far down on the list. unless you're very outstanding in, say, a particular sport that the hall is strong in, then there's a chance. But you may want to enquire about this properly first before you reject your place.

elee
07-02-2008, 02:10 PM
oh if you dont stay in the hall int he first year, will it be very tough for you to get in the 2nd year?

yes it will be :)

ultrapeanut!
07-02-2008, 07:59 PM
are we allowed to choose our roommates? and will we able to know who we're rooming with??

Ashearo
07-02-2008, 08:37 PM
are we allowed to choose our roommates? and will we able to know who we're rooming with??

I heard last year that if you stapled your application form with the application form of the person you wanna share the room with, then most likely you and your friend will be put together. I'm not sure how its done this year, whether its online application or there are still manual applications.

furweasel
07-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Do you know if it is possible to change your options from Double to Single room after already being given my Hall of choice? Initially I indicated Double but now, I think I'd much prefer a Single room. The deadline for acceptance of offer is 7 July 2008 and I've tried to email and call them regarding this, to no avail. Do you think I should accept the offer first and await their reply? Or is there a penalty for accepting this offer and hence depriving others of a place?

Thank you in advance!

elee
07-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Do you know if it is possible to change your options from Double to Single room after already being given my Hall of choice? Initially I indicated Double but now, I think I'd much prefer a Single room. The deadline for acceptance of offer is 7 July 2008 and I've tried to email and call them regarding this, to no avail. Do you think I should accept the offer first and await their reply? Or is there a penalty for accepting this offer and hence depriving others of a place?

Thank you in advance!

i suppose.. that depends on whether you'll mind a Double? If you don't then perhaps you may want to accept it first. Even if they do not allow a switch of room now (which i think is highly possible), there could be a chance of switching in the next semester. Well, after you accept the offer you'll be required to pay the registration fees and a deposit. :cool:

ultrapeanut!
07-04-2008, 05:53 PM
hello! what if you cant find someone to room with you? the people in charge will help us find a roommate is it? thankyou to ashearo and elee for answering my questions((:!

elee
07-04-2008, 08:24 PM
hello! what if you cant find someone to room with you? the people in charge will help us find a roommate is it? thankyou to ashearo and elee for answering my questions((:!

haha no problem at all! :)

yep that's right, you'll be randomly assigned a roomie, so cross your fingers!

Ashearo
07-04-2008, 11:25 PM
My friend told me this last year, which I found quite logical.

-> Don't share rooms with just any of your friends unless you both are really really good friends and don't mind each others' bad habits and shortcomings. Otherwise this "friendship" might just turn sour. Thats her advice to me. :P

ultrapeanut!
07-07-2008, 12:08 AM
hey i have a friend who has a hall room too and we wna exchange. is it possible??

Ashearo
07-07-2008, 11:07 PM
hey i have a friend who has a hall room too and we wna exchange. is it possible??

I don't think they allow for exchanges just like that because there is probably a lot of administrative things to settle like payment of the rooms, your name attached to the maillbox and etc. You should check with the administration office. :)

Zyvroklsayt
07-15-2008, 02:05 PM
My friend told me this last year, which I found quite logical.

-> Don't share rooms with just any of your friends unless you both are really really good friends and don't mind each others' bad habits and shortcomings. Otherwise this "friendship" might just turn sour. Thats her advice to me. :P

Quoted for truth. I've stayed in a hostel for the last two years during JC, and really, unless you're prepared to put up with bad habits of your roommates, and unless that mental preparation is mutual, you two are going to have a hard time. I've had all sorts of experiences, ranging from smelly feet and total untidiness (read: You can't even see the floor for all the books and stuff chucked around) to strong smells (my friends from India) and loud music of a language that I totally couldn't understand (yep, Hindi music). In the end, I actually made more friends (INCLUDING the Indians, and I started to like their music too. :P ) than enemies, actually most of us did anyway, but there must be a lot of tolerance.

In a hall, you'll always experience bad relationships. Relationships with my roommates did turn sour briefly a few times, especially around exam times, or when a roommate's personal relationship had problems (they get very moody), and so on. Be prepared for a not very smooth-sailing experience, but what you learn and enjoy will be what you remember, and not the bad times. I love the hostel life of my past two years. It was great. Late night DOTA matches (yes, that was after lights out and against the hostel rules), wild birthday party celebrations (resulting in lots of cake on people's faces and shirts), group outings, watching movies together, mugging together. Yup. So if you can endure the small things, the big things will come for you to enjoy. All the best to you who stay in NUS Halls too. Make new friends, live independently and responsibly, and most importantly, enjoy!

(I'm staying in PGP btw... anyone else?)

elee
07-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Hey Zyvroklsayt thanks for sharing! that made me feel a little less apprehensive :o because after all, good friends may not make good roomies.

Zyvroklsayt
11-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Hmm... thread necromancer here...

So how's everyone's halls shaping up?

PGP is pretty ok thus far. It's quiet and really, really lacks hall activities, but it's kinda ok since I've got quite a fair bit of studying to do. Law student <_< sigh...
I spend quite a lot of time in BTC anyway, only returning to KRC in the evenings, or earlier if I have choir practice.

Yup. And another thing that the advertisement brochure says nothing about. The rooms in PGP are small. Hall rooms are bigger. :P So if you like more space, Sheares, Kent Ridge, Eusoff and Temasek are great. The downsides of those four halls is that they're more active.

Raffles Hall has ancient facilities but it's not as demanding in terms of activities.
Eusoff and Temasek are hardcore sports halls. 3.00am jogs, anyone?
Sheares is more artsy: dance and etc, also very demanding in activities.
Kent Ridge, no idea. Maybe someone could supply information?

Disclaimer: The information above pertaining to halls are largely my own observations. I may not be fully correct. ;)

claire09
03-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Hi, may I know if the rooms at halls are sound proof or if there are music rooms around campus which students can use/borrow for individual practices? Also, can students not staying in any halls at all join in halls activities eg acting/organizing drama concerts? TIA.

hannyboi
03-29-2009, 09:46 PM
can someone advise which hall should I go?

I prefer a mix of sports and some hostel. But not over-life at the expense of my grades.

I do know some hostels are really hardcore while others are fine. So which are which?

lavender
04-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi,
Rooms in hall are NOT sound proof, (un)fortunately. As for music rooms, I am not very sure. There are practise places in the Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music building, the CFA building and within Halls & Residences. For Halls & Residences, one can use the space as long as he/she is a resident. And yes, you can join hall activities even if you don't stay in hall, I have friends who do that. Good to know people from inside first though. :)

Hannyboi, regarding which hall is suitable for you, will depend on what you want and what level of participation you are prepared to put in. A lot depends on you. Yup. Whether it is taxing or not, will depend on how much things you participate in and people around you.

I'm currently staying in King Edward VII hall (it's not really mention in other replies though. haha) and will continue staying in year 2. I participated in 6 CCAs and is still managing well in my studies. Yup.

Hope this helps.

claire09
04-21-2009, 09:14 AM
Hi lavender, thanks for the reply! It will definitely help at this time when we are going to choose between unis :) .

justmyluck
05-02-2009, 08:59 PM
is it weird to stay in single rooms? like u dont know anyone & have no roomie to help out?

Zyvroklsayt
05-03-2009, 12:09 AM
It depends on the person.

Some people like their own privacy, and can do things better by themselves - studying and whatnot. Others don't mind being with someone else. Bear in mind that if you have a roomie you'll have distractions at times either from him/her, or from friends that he might bring in. A roomie can be very nice and accommodating, or you might get a less pleasant one that brings noisy friends in late at night. It's quite hard to say.

Some people, of course, are more sociable, and find it quite weird to be staying alone, preferring to have a roomie. Of course in your first year you take a chance that your roomie is decent. Usually, USUALLY they are, or they'd have applied into a single room too.

Me, I tend to spend a lot of time in school - lots of interaction there, so I don't really mind staying alone - have MSN and Facebook for comfort anyway XD. I spend very little time in my room though, except sometimes on weekends. Usually I'm out from morning till night.

I'd say if you want interaction and 'real' hall life experience, join a hall, stay in a double room. I didn't have a choice. I'd have liked to but I was kicked to PGP. Twice. <_< Heh.

justmyluck
05-03-2009, 12:16 AM
It depends on the person.

Some people like their own privacy, and can do things better by themselves - studying and whatnot. Others don't mind being with someone else. Bear in mind that if you have a roomie you'll have distractions at times either from him/her, or from friends that he might bring in. A roomie can be very nice and accommodating, or you might get a less pleasant one that brings noisy friends in late at night. It's quite hard to say.

Some people, of course, are more sociable, and find it quite weird to be staying alone, preferring to have a roomie. Of course in your first year you take a chance that your roomie is decent. Usually, USUALLY they are, or they'd have applied into a single room too.

Me, I tend to spend a lot of time in school - lots of interaction there, so I don't really mind staying alone - have MSN and Facebook for comfort anyway XD. I spend very little time in my room though, except sometimes on weekends. Usually I'm out from morning till night.

I'd say if you want interaction and 'real' hall life experience, join a hall, stay in a double room. I didn't have a choice. I'd have liked to but I was kicked to PGP. Twice. <_< Heh.

thanks for replying (:
maybe i'd consider nus instead of ntu cus the former's hostels seem more 'liveable' haha.
& also, is it common for students to live with a roomie they've never met? i was thinking of staying w a friend but i dont think she wants to go to nus....

lavender
05-03-2009, 01:28 AM
I think the only problem with staying in single room is that when you fall sick, there's no one to help you out, unless you have really good buddies around, but you'll make friends some how or another =)

People usually pair up, if they want to stay in double rooms, especially true for the seniors. As for freshmen, it is mostly the foreign students that room with a roomie they have never met. I haven't heard a case from locals yet.

Either way, what ever you choose, you'll have to be prepared for the worst case scenario =X Also, even if your friend does choose to come NUS, you'll have to synchronise with her about the options, in case you don't get into the same hall.

camp_22
05-03-2009, 02:20 AM
I spent a year in a hostel when i was in JC (foreigner alert :o) and it was one of the best experiences ever. Word of caution though: unless you have a decent tolerance level for other people and their sometimes strange behavior (think late night ramblings regarding their wet dreams, impromptu concerts in the corridor where they ask you play guitar, pizza parties, roommates to whom the concepts of "clean" and "room" are somehow mutually exclusive) you'll find yourself getting ticked off damn quick. plus being able to block out extraneous noises is an essential skill O_o. still for all its pitfalls, no regrets. planning to stay on campus in NUS too, and me and another dude from my JC are planning to room together. sportsy halls ftw!

wl_90
05-08-2009, 02:41 AM
Hey lavender is hall allocation based entirely on sec school and jc cca records? I'm accepted into pharmacy and was thinking if i'm really gg thr, I wna stay in KE hall single room. Is it very hard to get a space there??

lavender
05-10-2009, 01:39 AM
Yes, it is based on your CCA track records. Whether it is hard to get into a hall, will depend on the demand for the hall and amount of applicants. Yup.

will1990
05-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Hello! Thought I'd post here instead of starting a new thread. :D

Can anyone provide some advice on what the differences between Eusoff Hall and Temasek Hall are?

I understand that the halls are right next to each other and are quite sports-oriented... but is it true that Temasek Hall places much more emphasis on competitive sports?

Heh. I'm kinda worried because while I love sports in general, I do intend to be more all-rounded and join other ccas like the community service club, outdoor activities club etc. I worry that it'll be quite daunting to fit in if so many of my hall mates are all in competitive sports. oO

I suppose any advice on what the people and culture are like for both halls will be great. Thank you!!

indemsify
05-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Just wanna ask, what is a CCA in university?
Must you be in the varsity teams,club to be considered as a CCA?

Are sports clubs considered CCAs???

appledeer
05-17-2009, 12:13 AM
Anyone has any idea about the size of a single room?
From PGP website, it states that it is 9.5 meter squares. Earlier on this thread, it is said that hall rooms are bigger?
King Edward VII Hall sounds like a right balance for me >_<, but my JC CCAs are not so impressive...
In addition, how to pair up with my friend and make sure that we get the same room?(Have been living with her for four and a half years already~)

lavender
05-17-2009, 08:49 PM
appledeer - yes, hall rooms are bigger that PGP Type C rooms. Also, there are more shelves and cupboard room for you to place and organise your belongings. Don't be that disheartened, as long as your secondary school CCA is good, you'll still stand a chance. Also, if you have taken up leadership positions before, it will really be a bonus. Class chairperson also counted. You can try your luck to get the same double room, for once, you can first choose the same options of hall together. Then when you get the allocation hall, go down to the hall to request that you stay together (if you're given the same halls). I'm not sure whether it works, but do it as soon as possible, before the management randomly allocate you your rooms. Yup.

indemsify - CCAs in university are like CCAs back in school. Clubs are considered CCAs, as long as they are registered. You'll be exposed to the whole range of CCAs available at NUS and NUSSU level during Matriculation. By varsity team, I take it that you're considering being IVP? Yes, been a player on NUS's team is considered a CCA.

will1990 - I can't advice you on the culture part. All I can say is that Eusoff is more convenient that Temasek, as in it is nearer to the bus-stops and is just a short walk from FASS.

camp_22
05-19-2009, 08:53 PM
anyone know anything about KR hall life? Eusoff and Temasek are reputed to be sports, sheares artsy but no one's said anything about KR :confused:

lavender
05-19-2009, 08:57 PM
KR is also an artsy hall. They have the one of the most reputed band and choir. KR is known to be good for music and other aspects of culture too. For example, the yearly productions by halls, KR always put up a musical.

camp_22
05-19-2009, 09:33 PM
KR is also an artsy hall. They have the one of the most reputed band and choir. KR is known to be good for music and other aspects of culture too. For example, the yearly productions by halls, KR always put up a musical.

ahhh music i can relate to =D
i was planning to apply to eusoff or temasek but a senior advised me not to based on their extreme requirements re: activities compared to KR etc.

coral
05-20-2009, 04:22 AM
from what i know, KR takes in very little freshmen each year so unless u're really good in ur CCA records or u have connections with the seniors in there, it's gonna be more difficult to get in than the rest.

sheares is also quite popular actually. for one, they have good new facilities (like KR). the activity level's quite alright too i heard, but im not that sure. and freshmen intake is higher than KR. (not sure abt this year though)

and as for raffles hall, that not many ppl have mentioned thus far, it's a cultural hall esp strong in dance. as for now the facilities are old compared to the rest, but its undergoing renovation so its gonna be the newest soon.. downside is, it'll probably only be open for freshmen intake in AY09/10 sem2 due to the renovations. yup.

Zyvroklsayt
05-21-2009, 07:54 PM
and as for raffles hall, that not many ppl have mentioned thus far, it's a cultural hall esp strong in dance. as for now the facilities are old compared to the rest, but its undergoing renovation so its gonna be the newest soon.. downside is, it'll probably only be open for freshmen intake in AY09/10 sem2 due to the renovations. yup.

That's a definite. There is no new intake for RH for next academic year, and on top of that the existing population has been slashed by half.

jellybean
05-27-2009, 09:23 AM
hey, does anyone know when the camps for the various halls are held? and when is the deadline for registration, where to register + details of camp etc? I heard its really impt to attend their camps if we wanna stand a better chance of getting a place in the hall, so anyone who has the relevant info do help out here! =)

clarenceux
05-27-2009, 09:49 AM
hey, does anyone know when the camps for the various halls are held? and when is the deadline for registration, where to register + details of camp etc? I heard its really impt to attend their camps if we wanna stand a better chance of getting a place in the hall, so anyone who has the relevant info do help out here! =)

You mean, one would stand a better chance in getting a place in the hall if they go for their camp? I didn't know that...

Anyway the only hall camp that I know of is KR's Camp Blueblood. You might want to check out their blog (http://iheartkr.blogspot.com/). I am not sure for the other halls.

jellybean
05-27-2009, 10:12 AM
You mean, one would stand a better chance in getting a place in the hall if they go for their camp? I didn't know that...

Anyway the only hall camp that I know of is KR's Camp Blueblood. You might want to check out their blog (http://iheartkr.blogspot.com/). I am not sure for the other halls.

haha, errrr... its not really laid out in pen and paper that if you join their camps, you will have a better shot at getting into the hall. their camps are supposed to be get-together sessions to interact with potential future hall mates, get to know the seniors, learn more about hall life, make new friends, have fun....etc etc you get the idea. but thing is, cos to get into hall, connections with seniors are...helpful in your application (i think there's some committee comprising of current hall dwellers that does the selection process, not too sure), so the camp is a useful platform to know people and make an impression if possible. o.o get what im driving at? hahas. and thanks for the KR link!

erm123
06-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Hi. I am planning to apply for king edward hall. But from the map i see that the internal shuttle bus stops look so ffaaaaaaaarrrrrr...... it at the nus venture support. So i would like to know if it is really that far as seen on the map. maybe can tell mi how long to reach the bus stop. TY

svpam_ms
06-04-2009, 11:06 PM
I feel that Hall Life takes up a lot of time.

Zyvroklsayt
03-15-2010, 07:25 AM
It does, definitely. :) But I think if you have the correct approach to it, it gives back waaaaay more than it takes. As long as you've the right mindset and attitude.

Hall life anyone? XD

summer
03-16-2010, 02:41 PM
questions - when we apply to the halls we get to choose which one we apply to right? as in its not like we apply to stay in hall then based on ur records they allocate you a hall? what if you get offered a hall that you dont want to stay in, can we reject the offer?

im thinking of applying to raffles hall :) zyvro, any highlights on hall life there and requirements to stay on?

oh, can i also ask about the meal plans? is the food good?

coral
03-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Zyvro, u're in RH now!! haha. i think i know who u are ;)

anw, summer, glad that you're considering raffles hall =) well i've been staying there for the past (nearly) 2 years, and there are definitely ups and downs to it, but one thing for sure, i've never regretted choosing to stay in hall.

to answer your questions, yes, you get to choose 3 choices of halls when u apply. if you're really keen on getting into a certain hall (RH!!), just put it as your first choice, then chances for you will be much higher. =) if in the event you get rejected and is allocated to another hall, rest assure that u can reject the offer.

about hall life.. facilities wise, RH has just undergone a major renovation (and will be further renovating this summer holidays, which means a brand new hall for u guys this coming academic year).. so yea, the rooms and stuff are sufficiently new. lots of greenery too for those who like them, and it has an "open" concept unlike other halls - you can freely mix around with anybody you want, no restrictions whatsoever, and the people are really friendly. =)

regarding activities, i would say that RH has less demanding activity requirements (to stay on) that most other halls.. which means ppl get to concentrate on their academic work too. (there are plenty of dean's listers here!) but it is not "dead" as what some ppl think, because it all boils down to what you choose to participate in. There are many many activities for you to choose from and because of the less demanding nature, many people are given the chance to explore their interests, increase their confidence, and even develop new interests along the way.

about meal plans, hmm, i would say that they are, well, compulsory. haha. i think the food is not bad seriously, our caterer actually has his own business outside, but just like any other food, once you eat them on a daily basis, it starts to become less appetizing. ;)

well i have personally made lasting friendships and experienced many things in hall, and like what Zyvro said, it really depends on your attitude and character. =)

summer
03-18-2010, 12:58 AM
thanks so much coral for the info! :) hahaha yay for the new dorms!! is there air con can i ask? i think raffles hall sounds like a good choice to me, because i plan to take up USP and dont know if i can balance hall's intensive activities on top of academic commitment and other stuff? but at the same time idk if we should go for an exciting hall so that our records look nicer? ._.

oh and is it true that it is impt to go for the hall camps if we want to get into that hall? i conveniently skipped the hall containing all the CCAs and hall info during nus open house so i dont really know about the hall camps this year? can someone help me ;)

and oh my, from the map, raffles hall is sooo far away from sch of business! o_o

hammie
03-19-2010, 03:00 PM
re: aircon - there is no aircon in any of the 6 halls... i believe the only airconditioned rooms would be the more expensive rooms in pgpr.

re: hall camps - i believe that most of the halls have a pre-orientation hall camp, considering the number of hostelites running about before start of the semester.. their names differ from year to year.. best to enter the cca hall to register :) a lesser known fact is that these pre-orientation camps are actually open to everybody (that is, everybody who's a fresh grad :p), so even if your friend is going to ntu and you're going to nus, the two of you can still take part together~

as for whether joining a hall camp improves your chances of getting a room... it depends on how sociable and "talented" you are - the people who are running the camp have a say in whether to accept the fresh grads joining their camp... so if you managed to show off your singing/dancing/mad-guitarz-skillz or your basketball dunks or tennis smashes etc etc, that's bonus points for you :)

it's not all about cultural talents or sports talents though - many of us (i'm a sheares hall alumni) are average people who simply enjoy having fun together :)

lavender
03-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Other than PGP type A rooms, KE7 also does have one block of air-conditioned rooms. In order to activate the air conditioning, one would have to pay more, accordingly.

As for whether your records will nicer or not, will really depend on what kind of roles you take up in the hall. It doesn't really matter which hall you stay in, but if you are able to land yourself in some presidency position, it will definitely look like a good port-folio.

The nearest hall to school of business will be sheares and KR, especially so after the expansion of the new wing. But there should not be much of a problem getting to Biz from RH, there's in fact at least 3 internal shuttles that you can take from RH to biz.

Whether hall life will tax on your studies will depend on the combination of activities that you have chosen to take up. Personally I have friends who're doing USP too and they seem to be managing pretty well. Won't know until you have tried it yourself =)

starry
03-23-2010, 08:15 AM
Hi, do you mean that it isn't compulsory for USP students to stay in Prince George Residences?

hammie
03-23-2010, 10:37 AM
nope - i have friends who did usp staying in kent ridge hall, and also in sheares hall.

ps: another factor that i haven't seen on these forums would be food - imho, sheares is the best for supper, with their dinner caterer also serving supper.. (and it's easy to visit kent ridge's supper store and vice versa!) i believe some fella even made a business out of it by running a delivery service from sheares to pgpr! on the other hand, temasek and eusoff are the nearest to the bunch of shops including pratas and nasi lemak.. if anyone knows of late night food options in raffles and ke7, please update :)

pps: thanks for the info on air-conditioned rooms in ke7, lavender.

Zyvroklsayt
03-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Actually RH has supper now too... and I'd say it's at least on par with Sheares. :P Really. Been to both, think they're both good.

starry
03-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the reply! Does anyone happen to know the % of usp students living outside PGP (USP's reserved residences) ? What are the pros and cons of doing so?

lavender
03-29-2010, 04:22 PM
You're welcome.

KEVIIans have their supper at the supper house in PGP (known as super snacks) and at NUH's Kopitiam, when we feel like we need a good walk, we do go sheares and fong sheng. =)

I'm not quite sure about % of USP living outside of PGP residences, but I do have quite a handful of friends living in KE7 who're USP students and are continuing to stay on.

Perhaps it will be good to join a hall first to experience what it is like to live on campus, the activities and so on. But if ever you find it hard to manage, you can always retreat back to your reserved places, since you wont have to compete on hall points for stay. ;)

Pros of living in hall, really depends on individuals. Generally, hall means a lot more social life, a chance to try and learn new things and forging friendships. Cons would probably be that your results will suffer if you can't strike a good balance and might be stressful if you can't get enough points to stay on. Ultimately, it really depends on you. Yup.

snowcrush
03-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Hi Guys, I'm wondering which of the Halls require the least participation to stay on for the 2nd year ie easiest to stay on?

Out of Eusoff, King Edward VII, Raffles, Temasek, which one is the least popular? I know Eusoff and Temasek are likely to be out :)

Please Advice, Thanks very much!

Zyvroklsayt
04-01-2010, 03:07 AM
Perhaps you may want to define 'popular'? Think of it this way, depending on who you ask, a hall will either be popular or not. ;) So what exactly do you mean by that question?

I think Raffles has the least demand on participation. But this is only relative. Hall CCA Participation in all Halls is still demanding.

snowcrush
04-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Perhaps you may want to define 'popular'? Think of it this way, depending on who you ask, a hall will either be popular or not. ;) So what exactly do you mean by that question?

I think Raffles has the least demand on participation. But this is only relative. Hall CCA Participation in all Halls is still demanding.

Hi thanks for the reply! I meant popular as in a lot of people applying to the same hall. As I'm not really the active type of person, I think maybe I'll go for PGP instead, I heard it's easier to stay on in PGP ie lower CCA points needed for 2nd year?

Also, is it possible to do mutual room swaps in PGP? Cause my friend and I would like to stay on the same storey but I heard that the management randomly allocate rooms and levels. Thanks!

Zyvroklsayt
04-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Not sure about room swaps. Never tried. :P

PGP isn't the one with the lowest points requirements. I believe Kuok Foundation House has even lower. PGP's is either the highest or second highest among the three Residences, RVR is mostly reserved for varsity sportsmen and sportswomen. All halls and residences do require quite substantial points to stay on.

The points-calculating mechanism for the halls and the residences is complicated, and I won't go into it here. But it is possible to be not super-active and yet be able to stay in hall, or be quite active and yet not be able to stay in residences. It depends on how you allocate your activities, the spread of activities you choose, what you join, leadership positions, etc.

VERY, VERY generally, there're a few categories of activities, including Sports, Organisational - Executive Committee, Organisational - Major, Organisation - Intermediate, Organisation - Minor, Debates, etc. You get points according to the category, e.g. a Sports activity gets many points; Organisational - Major would get more points than Org - Minor, and so on. In each activity you also get points based on leadership - if you're a leader you get more, if you're a member you get less. There is a cap on the number of activities you can have within one category - so if you join 10 sports activities, only the top 8's points will be counted.

If you've specific questions you can ask me, I'll try as best as I can to answer.

This is an example of CCA points' calculation. The Y/N on the far right is whether the activity's points were taken into account in calculation. Ignore the sprayed-out activities, they are irrelevant. Of course I've also removed my name for (ahem) confidentiality's sake, although some well-informed/connected ones may be able to guess who I am -_-.

EDIT: Oh, and ignore the 'demerit points', they're there for administrative purposes only - as I said, the system is kinda complicated.

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/3316/ccascreenieedited.jpg

snowcrush
04-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Not sure about room swaps. Never tried. :P

PGP isn't the one with the lowest points requirements. I believe Kuok Foundation House has even lower. PGP's is either the highest or second highest among the three Residences, RVR is mostly reserved for varsity sportsmen and sportswomen. All halls and residences do require quite substantial points to stay on.

The points-calculating mechanism for the halls and the residences is complicated, and I won't go into it here. But it is possible to be not super-active and yet be able to stay in hall, or be quite active and yet not be able to stay in residences. It depends on how you allocate your activities, the spread of activities you choose, what you join, leadership positions, etc.

VERY, VERY generally, there're a few categories of activities, including Sports, Organisational - Executive Committee, Organisational - Major, Organisation - Intermediate, Organisation - Minor, Debates, etc. You get points according to the category, e.g. a Sports activity gets many points; Organisational - Major would get more points than Org - Minor, and so on. In each activity you also get points based on leadership - if you're a leader you get more, if you're a member you get less. There is a cap on the number of activities you can have within one category - so if you join 10 sports activities, only the top 8's points will be counted.

If you've specific questions you can ask me, I'll try as best as I can to answer.

This is an example of CCA points' calculation. The Y/N on the far right is whether the activity's points were taken into account in calculation. Ignore the sprayed-out activities, they are irrelevant. Of course I've also removed my name for (ahem) confidentiality's sake, although some well-informed/connected ones may be able to guess who I am -_-.

EDIT: Oh, and ignore the 'demerit points', they're there for administrative purposes only - as I said, the system is kinda complicated.

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/3316/ccascreenieedited.jpg

Wow Zyvroklsayt you've been such a great help! I can't say how much I appreciate this. It must have been very troublesome to upload that screenshot. Thanks very much!

Hmmm, seems like you are the super active type, I mean, you got 61 points! That's definitely enough for you to stay on at any hall :) I've looked at CCA points system from the NUS website and have a rough idea of how they calculate the points, although, I must agree with you, that it is a very complicated process.

One question: does that mean that out of your 18 activities, only the 8 best activities from each category with the most points would be chosen and the rest are just, like, er, wasted?

Also, I notice that you were in PGP and then transferred to Raffles Hall? I thought we are stuck in the hall or residence we choose for the 4 years?

One Final Question, do you have any idea what the PGP cut off point is like? Thanks very much!

Zyvroklsayt
04-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Haha it's ok I do a lot of picture uploading so it's not a problem. My pleasure though.

Heh, the calculation of the RHAPS is complicated, but each hall has a different way of calculating their own points too. :P It gets worse.

"One question: does that mean that out of your 18 activities, only the 8 best activities from each category with the most points would be chosen and the rest are just, like, er, wasted?"

Hmm... the best 8 activities overall are chosen, but there is a cap for each category (not sure what this cap number is though). This is why I say we have to be wise in choosing activities. Try to join activities which you roughly know will reward you well for your efforts if you intend to stay in hall. Not saying we should preclude fun. You should join CCAs that give you BOTH fun and points. No point doing something just for points and not enjoying it. Also, about me being very active, yes, I'm afraid I've done so to the detriment of my studies.

Uni is very different from previous education in that there is really no restriction placed on you, what you do with your time. So it does call for quite high self-discipline and discretion in time management. You've gotta know what's more important, prioritize and do whatever is necessary. My greatest challenge in uni so far is that I like joining activities and doing things together with other people. So I tend to jump for things and get myself snarled up, short of time etc for studying. But it's a good lesson though.

"Also, I notice that you were in PGP and then transferred to Raffles Hall? I thought we are stuck in the hall or residence we choose for the 4 years?

One Final Question, do you have any idea what the PGP cut off point is like? Thanks very much!"

Campus Stay is always applied for and awarded on a AY (academic year) by AY basis. So even if you get accommodation for the first year, the next year's stay is conditioned upon your having enough points.

PGP cut-off points? I'm not exactly sure, but I daresay it might be around 40 or so.

lavender
04-05-2010, 01:39 PM
From what I have heard around campus, cut off point for PRs/Singaporeans in PGP is from 35-40, tends to fluctuate from AY to AY. Cut off point for foreigners is different.

With the opening of residential-college concept in the new and upcoming university town, the points system is now under review. Hence, I think it is rather fine not to bother yourself with the nitty gritty details of the current RHAPS system. *phew*

Here's my 2 cents worth, join activities that you enjoy doing and don't be afraid to try out new things too, who knows you might end up liking it. The process of working with your friends / CCA mates will be rewarding and enriching.

University life is diverse and you choose the path that you want to take, there is not no longer any restrictions placed upon you. So long as you can strike a balance between fun, work and studies, anything is good. :)

Kangnie
04-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Between Eusoff Hall, Temasek Hall & Kent Ridge Hall, which has the biggest single rooms? I can't seem to find much photos online of the halls' rooms. If anyone has photos of their own dorms(can be from any of the halls or residences, not necessarily only Eusoff, Temasek & Kent Ridge), be it the room or the corridors, surroundings, etc, and you don't mind sharing them, can you please post here? I have no idea how the dorms look like because I didn't go take a look at them during open house, had no idea they were opened for viewing.

And between Eusoff Hall & Temasek Hall, which is more difficult to get in? If say, I'm have been very active in sports throughout my JC life, would it be a good idea to choose Kent Ridge Hall over Eusoff or Temasek? I saw a picture of the Kent Ridge Hall room online and am pretty enticed by the newly-renovated halls & new furnitures in the rooms. But I'm not sure of what's the hall's niche, I don't think it's sports, is it? Does anyone knows what is its niche? I'm worried that if I don't choose a hall that has a niche which I'm good at or know alot about, I may not be able to fit in. Have anyone made the mistake of choosing the wrong hall and ended up not being able to fit in or feel outcasted?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! =D

Zyvroklsayt
04-14-2010, 11:26 PM
First off, CAVEAT that I'm not a KR resident. :P

Ok, from what I've seen from Rag, IHG, and etc, I think KR is generally an all-rounder - they're good at a lot of things. Even though Temasek and Eusoff are the stereotyped 'sports giants', KR ranks up there too - if you can find 2010 IHG's results, I'm pretty sure they're up there.

I'm not terribly sure but again judging from a Sheares single room (which I've seen before, and I assume is similar to KR's since the architecture is about the same) and a Temasek and Eusoff single room, I'd judge the size to be roughly the same. Perks? You get lifts in KR /Sheares, stairs in Eusoff/Temasek. (Then again, maybe running up and down stairs keeps them fit.)

I don't exactly think each hall has a niche 'area'. Perhaps more of specific sports? For example, Raffles generally has table tennis, I think football has been Eusoff (though this year, KR beat them), and etc. I know in Sheares, KR and Raffles at least, there is almost equal emphasis on all areas, and regardless of whether you're performing arts, service-based, or sports-oriented, you should be able to fit right in.

I'm not too sure about KE7, Temasek or Eusoff since I've much less contact with people in there. But I'm sure there'll be someone else on this forum who might shed more light than me (or correct me if I'm wrong).

Cheers

lavender
04-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Between Eusoff Hall, Temasek Hall & Kent Ridge Hall, which has the biggest single rooms? I can't seem to find much photos online of the halls' rooms. If anyone has photos of their own dorms(can be from any of the halls or residences, not necessarily only Eusoff, Temasek & Kent Ridge), be it the room or the corridors, surroundings, etc, and you don't mind sharing them, can you please post here? I have no idea how the dorms look like because I didn't go take a look at them during open house, had no idea they were opened for viewing.

Here are some photos of typical rooms in my hall (King Edward VII Hall):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/vio_kailin/KEVII/room1.jpg
Single room, orientation 1
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/vio_kailin/KEVII/room2.jpg
Single room, orientation 2
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/vio_kailin/KEVII/room3.jpg
Double room

Photos of other common areas around my hall can be found here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kpchen/sets/72157604276651693/).
I feel that room sizes are generally similar, with newer halls having elongated rooms while older establishments having squarish rooms. Personally I have visited Sheares, KR, RH and PGP rooms. Each has it merits. The rooms are definitely smaller than most HDB and landed property rooms but you'll probably start getting used to the small area after living there for some time. Oh, perks about KR & Sheares room, other than what Zyvro has mentioned, is that the furniture is re-arrangeable. Yup.

I don't exactly think each hall has a niche 'area'. Perhaps more of specific sports? For example, Raffles generally has table tennis, I think football has been Eusoff (though this year, KR beat them), and etc. I know in Sheares, KR and Raffles at least, there is almost equal emphasis on all areas, and regardless of whether you're performing arts, service-based, or sports-oriented, you should be able to fit right in.

I'm not too sure about KE7, Temasek or Eusoff since I've much less contact with people in there. But I'm sure there'll be someone else on this forum who might shed more light than me (or correct me if I'm wrong).

I agree with Zyvro. Although it is true that each hall has a perceived niche area, whether by the residents or the general public, halls actually try to develop in an all rounded manner. In KE7, we promote community living and place equal stress on all areas, be it sports, performing arts, productions and service-units.

If you’re interested in the details of each hall’s sports status, you may look at this website (http://community.nus.edu.sg/ihg/). Perhaps this will help you better with your decision making. But please do note that sportsmen changes every year with intake, hence the ranks may not always be a true representation.

Whether a hall is easy to get in or not, will depend on your CCA records. The records will speak for you. However, if you have seniors in the hall, and you happen to be very outstanding, there is a higher probability of getting selected (if you approach your senior).

snowcrush
04-16-2010, 07:51 AM
Thanks Lavender and Zyvroklsayt for all of your inputs, I believe it'll greatly help incoming freshman! The pictures look quite nice although the bed seems a bit small haha, but overall not bad la.

hannyboi
04-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Hi incoming freshies

I'm a KR resident..maybe I can provide whoever is interested an overview of KR. Hopefully it doesn't sound too skewed to any side. In any case, objective judgement is what you seek. In any case, do choose a hall which you can fit in. Whether you can fit in go find out more abt each hall orientation programme and their niche area.

Yes its true KR is all-rounded based of IHG, RAG. In fact KR is a culture hall. If you are very musically inclined or very cultural person, i suggest you come either KR. Nevertheless, KR is also quite gd in sports. But one thing to note, KR has 1 of the highest cut off points for seniors stay. It has tons hell of activities on throughout 2 sems , and if you are really smart in your studies (basically scrap a cap 4)..then i suggest you apply and stay. haha otherwise it damn hard to concentrate on yr studies and hall. thats y im quitting. The fun thing that i like about hall is probably the supper that ppl jio at 12am etc. maybe im always hungry after late night of studying. ANyway hall food sux to the max!!! that's another impt consideration point. Damn for goodness sake, if you hate army food, i think hall food is worst. so if food is an important factor and u do not wish to waste money, i rather you stay in residence and eat in school. school food taste much better

The negative side of hall: too much acitivities....some are really nonsense . Peer pressure can be good and bad depending on how you take it. I personally say NO means NO to stuff when im not interested. If you can't resist temptation and you are too nice to turn down nonsense acitivites, then good luck to you. enjoy...but be prepared for 3am sleep or even 5am at times. And a caution to note, even if you are culutrally inclined, i have friends who are so who commit so much such that their studies sux to the max. and now they regret and sometimes they feel hall is scr**wing their life and studies. Some feel this way, some don't . up to you to choose

If you are looking for just a normal room to stay, go PGP or smt. dont waste your 1st year in hall. Hall can just give you as much as you are willing to commit. you will feel stretched. You might feel lost touch with the society if you are a local, coz all along you had been travellin to down etc. Your life basically just revolve arnd hall if that hall demands active participation. Or maybe you can choose other less intense halls like KE7 and RH, and yet manage to juggle both studies and accomodation from 2nd year onwards.

these are basically some of the reasons why ppl choose hall in 1st year: impressionable, fun, do not wish to waste uni life, had enough of the JC system, get gf/bf, convenience.

For those who cont in year 2 onwards, its either they do not wish to lose the friendships they had forged, had enough of JC system and want to enjoy uni, convenience.

Judging from the above, if you envision to become one like me where studies take a higher priority, then dont go hall. afterall who knows you might get sick of any activites in any hall after some time. trust me its true. after 1 year, you will feel like travelling again if you are a local.UNLESS UNLESS you love ur hall v.much. To love your hall takes much committment and willingness and initiative to participate on your part.

I'm a turning Year 2..and yes im quitting hall finally!!! basically, its a waste of money and NUS is raising hostel fees ... so i wuld say many seniors are leaving. high turnover rate this year. :/

Good lucks to all who are applying! Enjoy the orientation programme line up for u!

camp_22
04-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Hi incoming freshies

I'm a KR resident..maybe I can provide whoever is interested an overview of KR. Hopefully it doesn't sound too skewed to any side. In any case, objective judgement is what you seek. In any case, do choose a hall which you can fit in. Whether you can fit in go find out more abt each hall orientation programme and their niche area.

Yes its true KR is all-rounded based of IHG, RAG. In fact KR is a culture hall. If you are very musically inclined or very cultural person, i suggest you come either KR. Nevertheless, KR is also quite gd in sports. But one thing to note, KR has 1 of the highest cut off points for seniors stay. It has tons hell of activities on throughout 2 sems , and if you are really smart in your studies (basically scrap a cap 4)..then i suggest you apply and stay. haha otherwise it damn hard to concentrate on yr studies and hall. thats y im quitting. The fun thing that i like about hall is probably the supper that ppl jio at 12am etc. maybe im always hungry after late night of studying. ANyway hall food sux to the max!!! that's another impt consideration point. Damn for goodness sake, if you hate army food, i think hall food is worst. so if food is an important factor and u do not wish to waste money, i rather you stay in residence and eat in school. school food taste much better

The negative side of hall: too much acitivities....some are really nonsense . Peer pressure can be good and bad depending on how you take it. I personally say NO means NO to stuff when im not interested. If you can't resist temptation and you are too nice to turn down nonsense acitivites, then good luck to you. enjoy...but be prepared for 3am sleep or even 5am at times. And a caution to note, even if you are culutrally inclined, i have friends who are so who commit so much such that their studies sux to the max. and now they regret and sometimes they feel hall is scr**wing their life and studies. Some feel this way, some don't . up to you to choose

If you are looking for just a normal room to stay, go PGP or smt. dont waste your 1st year in hall. Hall can just give you as much as you are willing to commit. you will feel stretched. You might feel lost touch with the society if you are a local, coz all along you had been travellin to down etc. Your life basically just revolve arnd hall if that hall demands active participation. Or maybe you can choose other less intense halls like KE7 and RH, and yet manage to juggle both studies and accomodation from 2nd year onwards.

these are basically some of the reasons why ppl choose hall in 1st year: impressionable, fun, do not wish to waste uni life, had enough of the JC system, get gf/bf, convenience.

For those who cont in year 2 onwards, its either they do not wish to lose the friendships they had forged, had enough of JC system and want to enjoy uni, convenience.

Judging from the above, if you envision to become one like me where studies take a higher priority, then dont go hall. afterall who knows you might get sick of any activites in any hall after some time. trust me its true. after 1 year, you will feel like travelling again if you are a local.UNLESS UNLESS you love ur hall v.much. To love your hall takes much committment and willingness and initiative to participate on your part.

I'm a turning Year 2..and yes im quitting hall finally!!! basically, its a waste of money and NUS is raising hostel fees ... so i wuld say many seniors are leaving. high turnover rate this year. :/

Good lucks to all who are applying! Enjoy the orientation programme line up for u!

as another KR resident, i'll provide something slightly different :)

i'd say hall is what you make it, and depends on the effort you put into it.

I myself am heavily involved in hall activities, and yes, often these will stretch me to the point where i sacrifice sleep, meals,study and rest time, money and my sanity at times.

but i would tell you that in KR, in Sheares, in any hall, if you find that you are able to click with the ppl there, they make it all worth it. I can look back on my year here so far with no regrets as i renew my stay for next year, with nothing but good memories.

Yes, in hall, specially KR, you fight hard to secure a place the next year. Cutoff this year was 50-54 points by my guesstimate.

i would not call hall stay a waste, i think it's a necessity to get the complete NUS experience. Sure there's bad stuff happening, there's negative peer pressure, but there's also the neighbors who will come spend time with you at 4am when you're down, friends who ask you go study with them, seniors to look up to and aspire to.

the food sucks, but hey, at 300-400 bucks a semester, 2 meals a day doesn't come cheaper than this.

i would not say i love KR, however. it's the people i love. the experience. if i could get this same experience in Eusoff, then YELLOW UP! but no, i'm here, and truly, i feel that these people are family.

coral
04-16-2010, 04:20 PM
well to add on to the hall life discussion here, hmm i actually do suggest freshmen to try to get a hall while they can. (reason being from year 2 onwards it is harder to get in unless you are active in ur uni cca's, but then again you would have been so attached to your varsity activities already... and generally it would be harder to fit into hall the later u come in, unless you are proactive in mixing around)

well, personally i have never regretted staying in hall, although at times it gets rather "sian" knowing that u gotta do extra things that your non-hall-staying peers don't have to. but it's really the friendships forged and the unique experience that make seniors stay on year after year.

therefore, like i mentioned above, if you are even thinking of staying in hall, don't hesitate to try it out during your freshmen year! it's the best time to try it out (because studies are not as hectic yet), and if u ever find yourself losing your sanity to it, you can always quit the next year, or next semester, if you really can't stand it. =) yep.

Zyvroklsayt
04-16-2010, 07:35 PM
I'll just add a bit of my own opinions as one who has gone from a Residence (PGP) resident to a hall resident over two years.

I would suggest that any of you who're interested enough go for a hall the first year, not a residence. It's easier to get into a hall from the start, as compared to trying to enter hall in your second year. If you find hall life too hectic by the end of Year 1, or Year 1 Sem 1, then you have the option of switching to a residence (which is easier than switching from residence to hall), or simply not staying on campus any more.

I'll agree with hannyboi about the 'peer pressure' part. Because you're in a very close group of friends, peer pressure is something you'll have to contend with if you're the type who places much emphasis on schedule, self-discipline and self-control. Things like supper jios and playing cards, chatting in the middle of the night, etc CAN take up time. Saying 'No' is a skill worth having. Not to say you've to turn out every jio, but you must know when you must and when you need not, and decide accordingly. If they're real friends they'll understand and accept your decision.

IMO, being very busy and losing control of balance is not something you really need to be afraid of. I'm pretty sure it IS possible, if you put enough effort into thinking things over and prioritizing, you CAN manage your commitments well enough to balance out things. Doesn't mean that you'll get HUGE amounts of points and still be a Dean's Lister, but at least it IS possible to get enough points to stay on, and still get better-than-average results.

I think the 'hectic' hall life would be better described as 'challenging' and 'enriching'. See the 'busyness' as a challenge for you to overcome. And you'll pick up important skills of time management, prioritizing, balancing, efficiency... and you'll pick up principles of leadership, teamwork, etc. There's really no limit to what you can get out of hall life - or uni life, or working life, or your life as a whole, for that matter. The key is whether you come with enough room in your heart to glean all those lessons. That is why I say I find hall life/uni life challenging and enriching, and I personally hope to leave uni a better, more capable, and stronger person than when I entered.

Life gives blessings in many ways. But too often we close our own eyes to it because of our beliefs and mindsets.

Speaking of food, I think Raffles Hall food is actually pretty decent.

Just a real-life example of decisions and consequences...
1. I joined quite a few uni CCAs for points to stay on in residence for AY10/11,
2. I switched to RH halfway through AY09/10, and because I want to stay on, I joined quite a few RH activities.
3. I couldn't just walk away from my uni CCAs in (1.) because I intended to honour the commitments I'd made.
So, in AY10/11 Sem 2 (this Sem), I was, in effect, doing the combined amount of CCA stuff that a PGP resident and a hall resident would respectively do to continue staying on campus. I have 48 uni CCA points, and 44.5 hall points, respectively. I'm not bragging. My studies have suffered quite badly - but that's just the consequence of the decision I made to move and I'm accepting that.

Now, let's just say that if YOU make your decisions wisely, you won't go through the hell I just did. :) But it's a learning experience. After going through all that, I have the confidence to tell you that I am well able to deal with CCA commitments now. They can't harm me in the future. ;)

Heh, well, just think about what your real objectives are... what do you want to get out of uni? I know some people just see uni as a stepping stone to a job, so they want to study really hard to land a good job. Others want to experience the full range of uni life. Some want to do the minimum that they can, so they can do their own things outside of uni. All legitimate views nonetheless, there's nothing wrong with any of them. If you think that you want to try out hall life, you're absolutely welcome to do so - and if you join RH maybe you can ping me to tell me the good news. XD

Ok then... I think I've rambled on too much now. Cheers!

hammie
04-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Here's my 2 cents worth, as someone who stayed in Sheares for 4 years, and graduated with a second class (lower) honours...

I'd recommend that anyone who is interested in experiencing hall life to JUST DO IT. Like others have said, first year is the easiest year to get into hall, after which you'd have to be either join a hell lotta activities or be president of a Uni club or have connections and pull strings to enter...

I'm not very good at anything - I'm not an extroverted person and don't have much social skills, I've never actively participated in CCAs while in sec sch or uni, never joined a single sports CCA, and have totally no idea how to sing/dance/act etc.. So if you're like me, have no fears about whether you're "qualified" to join hall.

Just plunge right in, and you will get an opportunity to do a lot. There are quite possible more activities than available in the uni, the competition to get in is less, you'll get to do both learning and teaching, you'll get to try out being the chair(wo)man of a small club (great for the resume!), and you'll get to pick up a whole host of miscellaneous life skills that school doesn't teach.

Just for example, I've gained - a bunch of close friends whom I'm still in close contact with, I've learnt how to play lots of sports (although I'm still lousy at 'em), I've learnt to appreciate the arts through supporting (because I want to, not because I'm forced to) my friends who are dancers or band members (I'll admit that I'm not too fond of choral singing!) - and the opportunities!

I just want to end off by emphasizing the 'close friends' part - IMHO, that is something that you'll definitely miss out on unless you're in hall, because uni classes are so transitory that your classmates are ever changing, and unless you're staying with them, it's unlikely you'll form any bonds that last after graduation. (This does not apply to engineers and dentists and doctors...)

And hey, if you stay and then figure that you're anti-social, you can always hang up a sign that says so and turn your back on hall - your neighbours will get a chuckle out of it and life goes on.

ps: Joining inter-faculty games is a good way of getting hall points - you commit yourself to maybe 2 or 3 days of fun and games and you get half the points that you'll normally get by being a full-fledged member of a CCA...

pyrosphere
04-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Where do most med students stay? If I do get into med, I"m thinking of either prince george of king edward cuz it's the nearest, but still its hall vs non-hall... esp for med students becuz of the workload, and most close friends would be from med anyway becuz of the time spent there...

lavender
04-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Where do most med students stay? If I do get into med, I"m thinking of either prince george of king edward cuz it's the nearest, but still its hall vs non-hall... esp for med students becuz of the workload, and most close friends would be from med anyway becuz of the time spent there...

Most Medics stay in either PGP or KEVII. There are, of course, a handful in other halls.
Location wise, KEVII is nearer to school, as the LT's are only 5 mins walk away. I understand where you're coming from, if you want an environment with more of your medicine classmates/seniors around, opt for KEVII, you won't go wrong. It's traditionally a medicine hall. Yup.

mashimaro
04-21-2010, 01:00 AM
hi im entering uni this year and if i get into my course at SDE (archi) , i'm intending to stay at eusoff hall since its the nearest.

i read about the "stay on points" thing and i was wondering if anyone knows what eusoff hall's stay on points are. around how many activities do i have to participate in to garner those points?

honestly im hoping to do the bare minimal just to stay in hall cos archi course itself is alr very taxing..or so i heard. (:

pokkypie
04-21-2010, 01:02 AM
Hi there, usually what hall do FASS grads stay in? Also, are 1st years guaranteed a place?

Zyvroklsayt
04-21-2010, 02:43 AM
mashimaro > sorry, can't really help you there, since I'm not from Eusoff, hopefully someone else will help (echo question here so hopefully it gets seen :) )

pokkypie > A fair number of FASS students stay in almost every hall. I'm not sure about the majority distribution, but if you're asking about location and accessibility, though, Eusoff is the closest to the FASS buildings, followed by Temasek. Sheares and KR are slightly further away, Raffles is just over the hill, and KE7 is on the opposite corner of campus.

EDIT: forgot to address the 'stay guaranteed' issue. If you're a foreigner then you've two years' guaranteed stay. Otherwise there doesn't seem to be a guarantee. You can read the Policy here: http://nus.edu.sg/osa/housing/undergraduate/UG_Policy.html

pokkypie
04-21-2010, 03:44 AM
mashimaro > sorry, can't really help you there, since I'm not from Eusoff, hopefully someone else will help (echo question here so hopefully it gets seen :) )

pokkypie > A fair number of FASS students stay in almost every hall. I'm not sure about the majority distribution, but if you're asking about location and accessibility, though, Eusoff is the closest to the FASS buildings, followed by Temasek. Sheares and KR are slightly further away, Raffles is just over the hill, and KE7 is on the opposite corner of campus.

EDIT: forgot to address the 'stay guaranteed' issue. If you're a foreigner then you've two years' guaranteed stay. Otherwise there doesn't seem to be a guarantee. You can read the Policy here: http://nus.edu.sg/osa/housing/undergraduate/UG_Policy.html

I'm actually more interested to stay in double room halls due to budget constraints, so Sheares and KR are out. :p

Will joining Hall camps help?

camp_22
04-21-2010, 09:33 AM
ultimately, remember this, dear freshmen:

distances in NUS are not all that long. hall proximity is not that big of an issue unless you're going to be minding minute differences in time taken to get there. I know of people who came to KR because it's proximal to Biz or Raffles cos it's proximal to Engin and realised that more than distance, what matters is the hall's people, culture etc. ask around, come for the various hall pre-camps, get to know seniors first before deciding. you don't want to end up paying to live in a place you don't feel comfortable in.

foreigners are guaranteed stay for 2 years, but by that what NUS means is, year 1 you get your first choice, year 2 you don't have enough points = go PGP (prince george's park) so don't assume you can come hall and spend year one not doing anything haha :)

and like hammie said. the friendships you forge in Hall are unlike those anywhere. That's why i refuse to let people refer to it as a Hostel, because anyone who's stayed in one of those knows what those're like O_O

mashimaro: archi is taxing, no doubt. week 0 lessons start alr. but even here in KR, which has the highest point requirement in NUS, we have archi freshies, seniors etc. who are doing relatively well. my point is, once you come to hall itself, any hall, and you realise you wanna stay (i quote my JCRC Pres here) "don't be a phantom and the points will come"

sleepyhead
04-21-2010, 01:48 PM
sian..in a dilemma to choose eusoff hall or KR hall..somemore this yr this 2 hall camps crash..so cant get the chance to experience both den make a decision!

pokerface
04-25-2010, 04:32 PM
if I'm not active in my JC CCAs at all, does it mean I stand no chance at getting Hall accommodation?

And I will only matriculate into NUS two years later due to NS. So do I apply for hall now or two years later?

Thanks so much!

Ashearo
04-25-2010, 04:34 PM
if I'm not active in my JC CCAs at all, does it mean I stand no chance at getting Hall accommodation?

And I will only matriculate into NUS two years later due to NS. So do I apply for hall now or two years later?

Thanks so much!

Usually its easier to get hall accomodation for freshmen for the first year. Thereafter, you need to really participate a lot in order to continue staying. You will apply in the year of matriculation.

Emki
04-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Just curious, if I want to hold a part-time job to pay off my hall accommodation fees, and still have to take part in hall activities, would it be hellish?

lavender
04-25-2010, 08:05 PM
pokerface: you can try going for the pre-camps (if the hall has) during the year you matriculate, some halls will scout for talents at that time. if not, you can also ask your female classmates to recommend you. That's for the first year, but for subsequent years, you'd need to earn your keep.

Emki: Yes, it's would be quite gruelling. If you are looking at giving tuition, then is it more manageable than any other part-time jobs. Some halls also do provide student-jobs to help financially needy students and allow them to work in hall for some allowance. yup.

Emki
04-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Emki: Yes, it's would be quite gruelling. If you are looking at giving tuition, then is it more manageable than any other part-time jobs. Some halls also do provide student-jobs to help financially needy students and allow them to work in hall for some allowance. yup.

:o may I know which are the halls that you know of with jobs for students?

Kangnie
04-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Does anyone know how I can sign up for Eusoff Hall camp, Temasek Hall camp & Kent Ridge Hall camp? Or is it too late to sign up for camps now?

And another question, when exactly do you pay the $4000(estimated) accommodation fees? Is it when you apply for a hall room next month or when you actually move in to the room in August?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

camp_22
04-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Does anyone know how I can sign up for Eusoff Hall camp, Temasek Hall camp & Kent Ridge Hall camp? Or is it too late to sign up for camps now?

And another question, when exactly do you pay the $4000(estimated) accommodation fees? Is it when you apply for a hall room next month or when you actually move in to the room in August?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

i think for KR at least, abit late... but you can try calling this number: 97528592, ask for mel, ask her.

hammie
04-27-2010, 01:03 PM
xmurasakix > Yes, the kitchen is open to all residents to cook. At the bare minimum there will be a washing area, gas stoves, and an oven. Other things like pots/pans/cutlery etc depends on the individual hall (or even block) policies. There is also a common refrigerator. (Note that the use of a mini-fridge in your own room is subjected to an additional $60/- fee?)

Kangnie > Tried to find the various hall pre-orientation camp websites, here's what I got:

Kent Ridge - http://iheartkr.blogspot.com/
Sheares - http://shearelympics2010.blogspot.com/

... Hope you want to go for those two instead. :p

(Interestingly, the first result I get when I google "Temasek Hall 2010" is the link to Eusoff's official website.)

Also, from what I remember, hall fees are only paid about the same time as moving into hall. I keep a good record of paying my hall fees late :D

sleepyhead
04-30-2010, 12:10 AM
hey may I know when does hall application starts? :D

Zyvroklsayt
04-30-2010, 04:53 AM
A little bit of research turns this up:

NUS Campus Accommodation Calendar 2010 (http://www.nus.edu.sg/osa/housing/downloads/Accommodation%20Calendar%202010.pdf)

sleepyhead
04-30-2010, 11:44 AM
A little bit of research turns this up:

NUS Campus Accommodation Calendar 2010 (http://www.nus.edu.sg/osa/housing/downloads/Accommodation%20Calendar%202010.pdf)

haha wah I dun really understand that calendar...haha so is when?

lavender
04-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Local freshmen can start application on 4th May and application closes on 1st Jun. You'll get your accommodation results after 16 Jun.

sleepyhead
04-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Local freshmen can start application on 4th May and application closes on 1st Jun. You'll get your accommodation results after 16 Jun.

haha thanks so much!! :D

summer
04-30-2010, 10:59 PM
???? how do we start applying for the halls? where is the app form/whatever docs that we need? theres no information at all from nus rgd this... in fact some of us are still waiting for offers from NUS and 1st june is the deadline to decide whether we would be taking up the offers from the unis? but we have to apply for halls already in the mean time? too fast lar...

student123
04-30-2010, 11:56 PM
how do we start applying for the halls? where is the app form/whatever docs that we need? theres no information at all from nus rgd this...

u might wanna check out this page:

http://www.nus.edu.sg/osa/housing/undergraduate/index.html

They never state what documents we have to submit or whether we even need to. Maybe on the day application starts u can login and they will tell us what we have to do :o

student123
05-01-2010, 12:05 AM
btw, is raffles hall far from fass?? i knows there's always the shuttle bus but if its walking distance, how long will it take to go there? from the map, the distance looks okay to me..but its best if someone who knows can confirm w/correct me :D i'm planning on applying to raffles hall for my first choice :)

lavender
05-01-2010, 10:45 PM
btw, is raffles hall far from fass?? i knows there's always the shuttle bus but if its walking distance, how long will it take to go there? from the map, the distance looks okay to me..but its best if someone who knows can confirm w/correct me :D i'm planning on applying to raffles hall for my first choice :)

It's not very far, 15min stroll, 5min brisk walk to the central forum. Can choose to walk sheltered path or along the road side. But it really depends on which part of FASS you're going to, it's so big.

charlene
05-02-2010, 12:11 PM
anybody going for camp blueblood?

sleepyhead
05-02-2010, 04:30 PM
anybody going for camp blueblood?

I signed up for it! But they say they will send us an email before 1 may regarding payment and stuff right? I haven receive any email and is 2nd may alrdy..

jimjoker1
05-03-2010, 07:58 AM
For NUS Freshmen who are Singaporeans, is it easy to appy and get accepted to stay in Hall? Please advise...thks!

sleepyhead
05-04-2010, 10:51 PM
anyway I am deciding to stay in Hall..and I would also like to join the NUS student's union..would it be very hectic?and is it hard to join the student's union? and I am also thinking of participating in SEP..does anyone know the criteria of getting into a SEP? like academics or participation?:)

pokkypie
05-04-2010, 11:31 PM
anyway I am deciding to stay in Hall..and I would also like to join the NUS student's union..would it be very hectic?and is it hard to join the student's union? and I am also thinking of participating in SEP..does anyone know the criteria of getting into a SEP? like academics or participation?:)

which hall are you going to stay in? :)

Zyvroklsayt
05-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Technically, all students are in the student union - as it's the organization comprising all students.

If you mean being in the NUSSU Council, or one of the Executive Committees, then that's a different thing. :P

You can find more information here: http://www.nus.edu.sg/nussu/index.html

For SEP generally you need to have better-than-average grades. There are other factors that may count - e.g. if your CCA records are really good but your grades are slightly below the mark you may still get entry. Of course that's from experience in Law School, which has quite stringent criteria about SEP. You may want to check with your own faculty to find out their criteria.

sleepyhead
05-05-2010, 12:56 AM
which hall are you going to stay in? :)

Most prob I'm going to apply for KR, then 2nd choice will be temasek...I din managed to be in the list going for camp blueblood! they say due to overwhelming response they have placed me in the waiting list...guess that would kind of reduce my chances to get into KR..hais..haha about you? now im thinking whether i should stay in single(kr only got single room) or double..the cost difference is $30 per week between a single and double which is quite big..but I kind of prefer single cos more privacy..still deciding though haha. how about you?=D

sleepyhead
05-05-2010, 12:58 AM
Technically, all students are in the student union - as it's the organization comprising all students.

If you mean being in the NUSSU Council, or one of the Executive Committees, then that's a different thing. :P

You can find more information here: http://www.nus.edu.sg/nussu/index.html

For SEP generally you need to have better-than-average grades. There are other factors that may count - e.g. if your CCA records are really good but your grades are slightly below the mark you may still get entry. Of course that's from experience in Law School, which has quite stringent criteria about SEP. You may want to check with your own faculty to find out their criteria.

ohh thanks so much for the info! hais dunno if I can get a SEP not..scared that staying in hall and actively participating in certain activities in NUS might greaty jeopardize my studies, and hence my chances to get SEP! think i have to be super self-disciplined..

hammie
05-05-2010, 10:02 AM
i've got bunches of friends who lesser than good results who got to go for SEP :)
from engineering, from arts, from computing.. although they're all pretty active in hall. (no one actively participating in the student union though...)

so don't be too worried about it... one thing you could do to up your chances will be taking relevant language modules, e.g. taking german modules if you want to head to germany.

pokkypie
05-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Most prob I'm going to apply for KR, then 2nd choice will be temasek...I din managed to be in the list going for camp blueblood! they say due to overwhelming response they have placed me in the waiting list...guess that would kind of reduce my chances to get into KR..hais..haha about you? now im thinking whether i should stay in single(kr only got single room) or double..the cost difference is $30 per week between a single and double which is quite big..but I kind of prefer single cos more privacy..still deciding though haha. how about you?=D

I'm interested in KR too but i didn't sign up for the camp due to work commitments :p KR is more of a cultural hall so it's for me. The higher costs are deterring me too :( Don't want to be too much of a burden to my parents.

lol
05-05-2010, 12:01 PM
hey all!

im an international student. not a very active / extroverted person. so i wanna ask if i should try hall life? also, i'm not those kind of ppl who can "don't study and still do well". haha.

is it hard to manage hall life and studies? cause im in sci and i wanna get into honours :( which i dun know if i can manage!

ahhh lastly, is KE / RH very active? :\

LockT31W
05-05-2010, 12:12 PM
unless you make an effort to join in, being in hall life isn't going to make you magically more extroverted. you still must put in some effort. if you wanna enjoy hall life, i think it's important for you to put in extra effort at the start, when friendships and cliques are forming, even if at the expense of your studies initially. once cliques form it's very hard to break in, esp if you're introverted.

once you've found and settled on a group of close friends, then you can revert to your normal study routine while enjoying with yourself with mostly those people. if you're not the extroverted kind and you want to do really well in studies, then you have to give something up. leave the best-friends-with-everyone thing to others whose priorities are different from yours.

i'm not from NUS so i don't know about hall points system, etc, though. i'm just commenting on social life :)

choco
05-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Hi, just wondering whether most law undergraduates stay in PGP or Hall? Cause I heard that the workload for law students can be heavy and hall life may be very distracting due to number of activities and noise level. Although I like having a certain degree of privacy, I heard that PGP is rather boring but I've also heard of stories that staying in hall is not very condusive for studying. So, what kind of advice would u giv to someone who would be studying law at NUS? Thanks

lol
05-05-2010, 02:26 PM
yes, i do get what you mean Lock. Thanks! :)

just another question for those who are already in residences/halls,

are the female and male dorms separated?

Zyvroklsayt
05-06-2010, 03:31 AM
@ lol>

All halls segregate by gender to a certain degree.

PGP, for example, houses different genders on different floors, and they do not have access to each others' floors.

In RH, all incoming first-years are segregated by floors. Thereafter, it is possible for seniors who know each other well to ballot for rooms in groups (both girls and guys), whic means girls and guys (usually who already know each other well) can live on the same floor in senior years, but nevertheless not in the same room (duh).

Sheares separates by floor as well, as does KE7 (at least my friends in first year, but someone please confirm or correct this).

Hall people are not the 'don't need to study but still do well' kind. I can safely say there are no such people in university. The difficulty of subjects is such that effort must be put in to get good results. The essence of staying in hall is not about 'choosing exclusively between hall activities and studies' but about 'managing hall activities and studies efficiently'.

@ choco >

It depends entirely on your preferences. I used to stay in PGP, and am now staying in Raffles Hall. I have friends in law who've started in Hall (KR) and stayed until now. I also have friends who started in Hall but shifted to PGP. There is no hard and fast rule. PGP, I would say, is more for people who prefer almost absolute privacy. There is hardly any interaction, save if you choose to join CCAs or go out with your own friends. For halls, the tendency is towards social life, but ultimately whether or not one can study is a decision the person has to make - whether to submit to peer pressure or not.

You will have to make your own choice depending on which factors you prioritise, I would say.

hammie
05-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Zyvroklsayt - well said :)

on gender segregation: both sheares and kent ridge has different genders on different levels. for sheares, every year the seniors get to choose the rooms they want, then incoming freshmen are fitted in throughout. every level will have a quota of seniors and freshmen.

studying - definitely up to your own time management. just want to add on that i feel i benefited in my studies from staying in hall, as there's automatically a "support group". there are seniors who can advise you on the modules to take, the lecturers to avoid, share their textbooks/coursenotes/cheatsheets etc.. and also other friends who can take the module together, which helps when you need to do team projects or skip lectures :p

law - same, same. have friends who studied law and stayed in hall all the way until graduation and still did well, friends who studied law and stayed in hall all the way and almost flunked, friends who studied law and stayed in hall only a year before moving out (and both did well and poorly). there's no strictly defined causal correlation between hall life and results ;) same goes for medical and dental students. hehe.

lishanshung
05-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Hi,

I'm a freshman for NUS FoS 2010 Sem 1. I have a few questions here.

1. I plan to apply for KE7 hall, is it very competitive? What are the chances of getting my top choice of hall?

2. Despite joining a hall, I'm also interested in NUS sports club. Is it possible for me to join both?

3. When and where exactly is the hall orientation?

Thanks.

sleepyhead
05-06-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm interested in KR too but i didn't sign up for the camp due to work commitments :p KR is more of a cultural hall so it's for me. The higher costs are deterring me too :( Don't want to be too much of a burden to my parents.

ohh actually I dun really know if KR is for me cos I'm really not a cultural person! I'm more of a sports, outgoing person, thinking whether temasek hall suits me more. But many people say KR is e fun-est, but of cos all halls are fun too haha. Now I'm thinking if I put temasek 1st choice, I dunno if I shld put single or double! cost diff $120 per month..O.O

lavender
05-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi shanshung,

In my opinion, whether the hall is competitive will depend one's personal perception and whether he/she wants to continue staying in hall the next academic year. Generally, halls should be a place to make friends and be exposed to various activities other than just being an accommodation. Personally I feel that KE7 allows me to strike a balance between school, friends and CCAs, with some time to go home on weekends. And I am enjoying it pretty much.

Your chances of getting in your top choice hall will depend a lot on the demand and your CCA records. It is hard decide which freshman get to stay and which doesn't, other than pre-camps, halls also uses your past CCA records to select candidates. Hence, a good CCA track record will definitely be a bonus.

Yes, it is possible for you to join NUS sports even if you stay in hall. Many sportsmen do it.

For KE7 hall, orientation will be towards the end of July, after confirmation of accommodations. If you're interested, you may send your particulars including email and telephone number to Chun Keat at keh[email protected] He will update you on the various activities for freshmen.

Now I'm thinking if I put temasek 1st choice, I dunno if I shld put single or double! cost diff $120 per month..O.O

Hi Sleepyhead,

Local freshmen usually don't get to live in double rooms, unless the hall has many available ones. Because priority for double rooms is given to international scholars during freshmen year. Hence chances of getting a double room MIGHT be slim, thus don't let double room limit which hall you want to stay in :)

student123
05-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Local freshmen usually don't get to live in double rooms, unless the hall has many available ones. Because priority for double rooms is given to international scholars during freshmen year. Hence chances of getting a double room MIGHT be slim, thus don't let double room limit which hall you want to stay in :)

hi lavender. does it mean that if i put double room as my choice, n assuming i didnt get it coz of the priority thingy, i will be given a single room? or my application will no longer be considered?

lavender
05-06-2010, 11:28 PM
i think they do not really consider your room options. but then again, I am not sure.

I only know, for KE7 and temasek, when you get into the hall, it doesn't mean you get to stay double room, even though you selected so.

sleepyhead
05-07-2010, 10:53 PM
btw does anyone know whether one need to pay the hall and meal fees for sem 1+2 at one go before u go and stay in the hall?

mashimaro
05-07-2010, 11:37 PM
hi, will my chances of getting to the hall i want be lowered if i do not attend its exposure camp?

student123
05-08-2010, 11:11 AM
thx lavender!

choco
05-09-2010, 03:50 PM
@Zyvroklsayt >> Just wondering if it was hard to balance both your DDP and hall/PGP life.

Ps. Can someone tell me how much has Raffles Hall changed after its renovation? Considering its facilities were rather old previously

verk47
05-09-2010, 08:21 PM
hey ppl,

can anyone do a quick description of both KE7 and RH? in terms of the kind of people, facilities, segregation and intensity of activities, etc.

what are the chances of getting a double room in either of the above halls? is there any way to have a specific bunkmate?

thx

lavender
05-12-2010, 10:58 PM
sleepyhead> Meal fees are paid by per semester basis.

mashimaro> I am not sure. You should still stand a chance. :)

choco> the furniture, room door, flooring, window panes and blinds are new. the rest I am not sure.

verk47> I can only offer you a perspective as a KEVIIan. For KEVII, local freshmen cannot get double room. At RH, you may get a double room and can choose your room-mate, provided your friend gets into the hall too.

In my opinion, the kind of people in each hall varies year to year with the new intake as half the hall is made up of freshmen. However the core of the hall will remain unchanged, as the seniors that stayed roughly represents the spirit of the hall. KEVIIans are generally warm and friendly, I feel. We work hard and play hard, striking a balance in between. The facilities are in good condition, despite the age. The rooms and toilets were renovated about 5 years ago, hence pretty new.

I don't understand what you mean by segregation. Perhaps you mean which faculty's students appear the most frequently? For us, will be science. Plus a good mix of others.

Intensity of activities will very much depend on yourself. Personally, I do a lot, heading several CCAs, hence, I find it pretty intense. However, still manageable.

Yup. Hope this helps. All these things are very subjective. If you are able to speak to hostelites in person, then perhaps you can judge better =)

Zyvroklsayt
05-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Lavender is right about being able to get double rooms in RH. There are a lot of double rooms and assignment is not limited to foreigners etc, although the office may have considerations I'm not aware of.

I assume, like Lavender, that by 'segregation' you mean 'distribution'. RH consists mostly of Eng and Sci students, though there's a healthy number of FASS and Computing students, a handful of Pharm and Biz as well as the odd Med and Law students.

Kind of people... honestly I don't think the people you meet will differ widely from hall to hall. The very nature of hall life usually demands that hall residents are friendly, able to work in teams, fun-loving etc. Generally you'll find the louder raucous people in sports, the quieter, artsy people in cultural activities etc. But again, that's a generalisation. But still, hall residents are generally pleasant people.

Intensity of activities also differs. Generally the sports and cultural activities have more practices. But the frequency of practices also varies across different sports, depends on upcoming performances, etc. You can join organisational/service CCAs, sports, cultural... etc. Ultimately, you get to determine how actively you wish to participate. There's a wide range of possibilities to choose from, in any hall. Some people are very active in hall, some choose to be half-half across hall CCAs and uni CCAs... etc. It's all up to you, effectively.

RH just had its rooms and toilets (resident blocks) renovated, and this hols (May-July) the communal hall is being renovated. Incoming RHians will be able to look forward to a new hall. I can't describe it, unfortunately, because I don't have the power of foresight. :)

student123
05-13-2010, 12:32 PM
hi Zyvroklsayt & lavender, do RH & KEVII have hall orientation camps this year? I've only heard of other hall camps so far..
& btw anyone knows the difference between pgp type B & type C rooms? except for the washbasin. Not taking into account the price differences, is it advisable to choose type B over type C? (maybe based on any of ur own experiences?)

thx in advance! :o

Istvan
05-14-2010, 10:38 AM
RH newly renovated, awesome facilities and rooms : D

appleorange
05-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Hi everyone... i'm new in this thread =)

Just wish to get some opinions or experiences by seniors in NUS, regarding effectively juggling between studies and hall activities... so that i can get a picture in my mind to be mentally prepared.. =)
i love activities yet i'm worried of cant manage my studies well.

If I were to choose to be half-half across hall CCAs and uni CCAs, will I like, getting not enough points to continue stay hall in second year?

sorry if I sounds nuisance here. =S

Thanks!!

FeNiX
05-14-2010, 09:08 PM
hi Zyvroklsayt & lavender, do RH & KEVII have hall orientation camps this year? I've only heard of other hall camps so far..

KEVII definitely has a Hall Orientation Camp. I believe RH should have one too.

Hi everyone... i'm new in this thread =)

Just wish to get some opinions or experiences by seniors in NUS, regarding effectively juggling between studies and hall activities... so that i can get a picture in my mind to be mentally prepared.. =)
i love activities yet i'm worried of cant manage my studies well.

If I were to choose to be half-half across hall CCAs and uni CCAs, will I like, getting not enough points to continue stay hall in second year?

sorry if I sounds nuisance here. =S

Thanks!!

I believe your doubts reflect the concern of many freshmen contemplating about staying on campus or seeking for a vibrant University life. Whether one will be able to balance academic studies with CCAs really boils down to one's individual goals and competencies.

As a guide, firstly, ask yourself what are you really looking for in a University education. Is it perfect grades? Is it opportunities for self-development? Is it greater exposure to more fields of interest? Or is it forging strong friendships? When you have listed down all your objectives, prioritise them, then plan out your route to achieve each of them, and reflect on your ability to manage all of them. It is good to remind yourself constantly that different people have different priorities in life, hence you will not get swayed easily and lose focus when the natural tendency to compare sets in.

As a freshmen in a "honeymoon" year, you can always start out setting high goals and striving to achieve all of them. Gradually, as reality sets in and you become more accustomed to the University life and culture, you can adjust your focus and compromises accordingly. For example, you might settle with a lower academic target, drop off some CCA commitments, postpone certain plans, reduce entertainment time, etc. It is good to always balance idealism with pragmatism. Go ahead and stretch yourself out of your comfort zone, but do not be fixated on unrealistic goals.

I can share with you my case as example. Personally, I believe that as far as academic grades are somewhat important, society really values a person by his personality, beliefs, attitudes and soft skills more than the number of As in his gradebook. Therefore, my core goal in University is to pursue a journey of holistic self-development. With this goal in mind, I place great emphasis in active learning, exploring new things, and taking on challenging roles in some extracurricular activities. In the process, I had to compromise on certain aspects like entertainment time, and maybe having a full mugging mode. :p

Academic studies wise, to me, the spirit and joy of learning in the education process is much more important than the final grades I obtain. Hence, my inclination is to take on modules for their enrichment value more than for the ease of scoring an A. My academic mentality is to just do my best, step into the exam hall, and stride out come what may. End of the day, I had rather settle for a lower grade knowing I have learnt much from the modules I have chosen to undertake and experienced much from the extracurricular roles I have chosen to accept than having a higher grade but a hollow mind.

Undeniably, there are students who can manage everything excellently, so it is really up to the individual competence. My advice is to just do things that will really bring meaning to your University life. 4 years passes really fast, so focus on the activities that will enable you to look back one day, and gladly say "those were the days!". :)

As for your question on taking half-half of NUS CCAs and Hall CCAs, I believe there will be a revision of the CCA system, and each Hall will have their own system of jurisdiction. Hence, it will depend on the policy of your future Hall to determine how much allowance NUS CCAs can play as a factor in deciding your continued stay. Most Halls do, of course, place more emphasis on Hall CCAs as it will be more fair to keep residents who have contributed more to the Hall, and prevent an outflux of talents from Hall CCAs.

sleepyhead
05-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Hello, I would like to ask if does it means that if u send ur hall application earlier, u get a higher chance to be selected for ur 1st choice? Cos I haven submit my application, still persuading my mum to allow me to stay in hall (since I stay so near NUS). And right, for double room it says is $60 per week, does it mean $60 per person or $30 per person per week? Thanks loads!:)

sleepyhead
05-15-2010, 02:18 PM
sleepyhead> Meal fees are paid by per semester basis.

mashimaro> I am not sure. You should still stand a chance. :)

choco> the furniture, room door, flooring, window panes and blinds are new. the rest I am not sure.

verk47> I can only offer you a perspective as a KEVIIan. For KEVII, local freshmen cannot get double room. At RH, you may get a double room and can choose your room-mate, provided your friend gets into the hall too.

In my opinion, the kind of people in each hall varies year to year with the new intake as half the hall is made up of freshmen. However the core of the hall will remain unchanged, as the seniors that stayed roughly represents the spirit of the hall. KEVIIans are generally warm and friendly, I feel. We work hard and play hard, striking a balance in between. The facilities are in good condition, despite the age. The rooms and toilets were renovated about 5 years ago, hence pretty new.

I don't understand what you mean by segregation. Perhaps you mean which faculty's students appear the most frequently? For us, will be science. Plus a good mix of others.

Intensity of activities will very much depend on yourself. Personally, I do a lot, heading several CCAs, hence, I find it pretty intense. However, still manageable.

Yup. Hope this helps. All these things are very subjective. If you are able to speak to hostelites in person, then perhaps you can judge better =)

hey does that mean that semester 1 + 2 hall fees must be paid at one go before we stay in hostel?=D

appleorange
05-15-2010, 06:02 PM
WHOA!!! Thanksss for the long and detail reply FeNix, your reply did help to clarify my doubts a real lotsss :D:D

I think I know what I want now :p

boredgenius
05-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Hi, I just applied for hall using the online application. Just to check, what do we have to upload to submit under the "Supporting Documents" tab?

Is it just for people with special medical conditions to upload? Am I right to leave it blank?

Thanks in advance! :D

student123
05-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Hi, I just applied for hall using the online application. Just to check, what do we have to upload to submit under the "Supporting Documents" tab?

Is it just for people with special medical conditions to upload? Am I right to leave it blank?

Thanks in advance! :D

yes i think u can just leave it blank. but u can also choose to upload your cca achievements. for me, the thing is after i uploaded my file (and the system did say something like thank you for uploading your file), the next time i logged in and check there's like no record whatsoever that says i did upload my file :S the 2 blanks for file attachment is still there so im troubled over whether i should resend my file (a third time)??

keat888
05-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Hi everyone, im new to this thread. And i would like to know what is the activities for freshmen in July, so that i can arrange my timetable and book tickets earlier. It would be help if anyone can list down the activities here. Thank you =)

sleepyhead
05-18-2010, 05:03 PM
btw those who have applied may I know what are ur choices and any particular reason for ur 1st choice..me still deciding between temasek and eusoff! and right, if u applied alrdy, can u still change the hall choices before the deadline? thanks so much! :confused:

student123
05-19-2010, 09:35 AM
btw those who have applied may I know what are ur choices and any particular reason for ur 1st choice..me still deciding between temasek and eusoff! and right, if u applied alrdy, can u still change the hall choices before the deadline? thanks so much! :confused:

If u started ur application, but havent made the payment yet, then yes u can still change ur hall choices and the other information before the deadline. but once u made your online payment u cant change anymore.
My first choice is RH. no particular reason haha. just that its near my faculty and i kinda like the culture there :o
oh are u gg to upload any documents? mind letting me know what shows after u have done so? like i said earlier im still wondering whether the system got my file or not. thanks!!

monochrome-
05-19-2010, 06:11 PM
Hi! I'm a fos freshie and i want to apply for hall this yr. I have some qns to ask b4 i apply..

- how can we iron our clothes?
- where do fos students stay at? or are they scattered all over?

thank you! ^^

misshaha
05-20-2010, 12:03 AM
I tink the Supporting Documents is for inter students to attach copies of their student pass which is indicated in the Personal Particulars...

But do we need to attach CCA copies as well???

P.S. My 1st choice is RH. But my friends says tt it is the most boring hall in NUS :o

silentgiggler
05-20-2010, 01:01 PM

hi! from what i know, both temasek and eusoff are good at sports but eusoff has been winning IHG for the past (idontknow) many years. so if you want to be on the winning team then i guess it will be eusoff but if you want to fight then maybe temasek?

for the next few things i want to say, its from what i hear around from other people so i hope that i wont get flamed. just sharing whatever i heard (:

so.. from what i heard, (sorry if there are any eusoff people here) that eusoff people tend to be abit stuck up, show little respect to their opponents etc. EG last year IHG after they won: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?profile=1&id=1040718744#!/video/video.php?v=1358228560888&subj=598485345

and the previous year i heard some guys ran naked in TH. they got expelled from EH but i think managed to get back in again since they were good sportsman

but i guess in every place you go there will just be this bunch of cocks who screw up the entire name of a good place. so just dont go generalising that all eusoff people are like that (: i know some eusoff people who are really really nice

As for TH, since its mostly a sports hall, if you are not a sports person sometimes it will be hard to fit into the "sporty clique". there are other more normal people around also who join non sports activities but the pressure to be a sportsman will be great since they are aiming to take back the title of IHG champs.

most of them, i feel, have great sportsmanship. they will play the game with respect to the opponent. if you fall down during the match they will help you up before continuing the game. even if they lose, they are not sore losers and are ready to get back up and fight again for next year IHG title. TH is mostly strong in swimming. so if youre a swimmer i guess they want you!

btw TH hall food sucks.. BIG TIME.

That's all i have to say! dont make any decisions base on this. collate all the info you can find and then decide for yourself. in every case, there will be some biasness involved! (:

i hope you find a hall that suits you! dont forget to factor in location too.

coral
05-20-2010, 01:05 PM
wow nice to see so many potential RH juniors around! haha..

hmm to answer some of your questions..

- u will need to bring your own iron (and ironing board) if u want to iron your clothes in hall. however, if you have nice neighbours, u can be friendly to them and they will lend you. haha.

- there are science students almost everywhere, same for other faculties... however i think sciece students are concentrated mostly in KEVII, with a substantial number in RH. i think it ultimately depends on what modules u plan to take. if you plan on taking modules outside of science faculty, then it doesn't really matter where u stay, since the rest of nus is clustered together on the other side. haha. and nus is actually quite a small place. =)

- i think the definition of "boring" depends on what u think is "happening". if you are looking for clubbing buddies, midnight sports trainings and hall activitie almost everyday, then i guess RH isn't for you. else, RH is actually becoming a "happening" hall too, in terms of quality of activities. and personally, my memory of hall life for the past 2 years hasn't been of hall activities (even though i was involved in 5 last year). rather, it's the most random things that you do with your hallmates that u will eventually treasure. things like room sessions and random dropbys as an escapade from work, birthday celebrations, studying together, waking each other up and stuff like that. in fact, i feel that having too much hall activities might just kill this spirit. =)

hope all of u will have a good time experiencing hall!

silentgiggler
05-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Hi! I'm a fos freshie and i want to apply for hall this yr. I have some qns to ask b4 i apply..

- how can we iron our clothes?
- where do fos students stay at? or are they scattered all over?

thank you! ^^

in every block i think theres a washing area with the washing machines + ironing boards and irons. but most of my friends bring their own iron and iron on their beds in their rooms.

as for FoS students you can choose any hall to stay at. theres no particular hall where all the FoS gather (: each hall have their own special spirit that you will definitely get sucked into no matter which hall you choose!

of course though there are the stereotype of each hall :D

misshaha
05-20-2010, 11:07 PM
wow nice to see so many potential RH juniors around! haha..

hmm to answer some of your questions..

- u will need to bring your own iron (and ironing board) if u want to iron your clothes in hall. however, if you have nice neighbours, u can be friendly to them and they will lend you. haha.

- there are science students almost everywhere, same for other faculties... however i think sciece students are concentrated mostly in KEVII, with a substantial number in RH. i think it ultimately depends on what modules u plan to take. if you plan on taking modules outside of science faculty, then it doesn't really matter where u stay, since the rest of nus is clustered together on the other side. haha. and nus is actually quite a small place. =)

- i think the definition of "boring" depends on what u think is "happening". if you are looking for clubbing buddies, midnight sports trainings and hall activitie almost everyday, then i guess RH isn't for you. else, RH is actually becoming a "happening" hall too, in terms of quality of activities. and personally, my memory of hall life for the past 2 years hasn't been of hall activities (even though i was involved in 5 last year). rather, it's the most random things that you do with your hallmates that u will eventually treasure. things like room sessions and random dropbys as an escapade from work, birthday celebrations, studying together, waking each other up and stuff like that. in fact, i feel that having too much hall activities might just kill this spirit. =)

hope all of u will have a good time experiencing hall!

haahaa thanks 4ur reply!! I think RH is EXACTLY where i wanna stay coz I wanna put more time into study while experiencing not too much cca.

But im not very sure if they want me leh...I onli got limited cca points in poly..
But I do hav leadership n I play musical instruments...and im good at clubbing:o

Another Q: If i wanna look 4clubbing buddies, which hall to go??? :D

monochrome-
05-20-2010, 11:53 PM
thanks for the reply! ^^

i have another qn: is there wi-fi in the hall?

summer
05-21-2010, 07:56 AM
RH will be my first choice too :D i hope with many hopes that i will get in!! :D

lishanshung
05-21-2010, 09:26 AM
What about KE7? I heard that it's impossible to get double-rooms there as freshmen.
From what I gathered, TH and EH are sports hall, KR and SH are arts and cultural hall. What about RH and KE7?

What kind of CCAs are favoured by KE7?

misshaha
05-21-2010, 09:50 PM
Plus 1more Q: Can i bring my friends to my room?? Can they sleep there?

Thanks in advance

Zyvroklsayt
05-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Officially, I think all halls/residences prohibit bringing friends into your room to sleep/stay over. Officially.

misshaha
05-22-2010, 12:13 AM
hmm...ic. Tks.

im above 18 alrdy leh...then cant take friends to my rm liao:(

What is the consequence if i were caught?:D

will i be kicked out of the hall? Will tt be recorded?:p

Anything like tis happened before?

lavender
05-22-2010, 12:36 AM
Another Q: If i wanna look 4clubbing buddies, which hall to go???
Each hall has their fair share of avid clubbers. So don't worry, likes come together, once you are there, you know who they are =D

i have another qn: is there wi-fi in the hall?
Yes, there are wi-fi hotspots (mostly in lounges and common areas), your room probably can receive the the signals if they are near enough. However, it's more reliable to bring your own lan-wire for your room :)

What kind of CCAs are favoured by KE7?
By "favoured by KEVII", I take it that you mean what KEVII is good at? KEVII has a diverse culture. We're strong in productions, if you like to try out the stage, it would be a good place to start. However, equal importance is placed on each type of CCA cluster. The pace of life is pretty good.

Like I say previously (in many of my post), it's pretty much up to you.

Personally, I have gained a lot from hall, activity wise and enjoying time with friends. All the watching movies together, chats and random-ing around.

Plus 1more Q: Can i bring my friends to my room?? Can they sleep there?

Yes, you can bring visitors to your room. But they should leave before 11pm. There is a terms and condition (agreement) that you need to sign before you accept your hall stay. By right, you should not even sleep in your friend's room even if you have a room of your own. Read the rules and you'll understand better. You can find it under OSA's website.

keat888
05-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Anyone can tell what is the bank available in NUS campus?

lavender
05-22-2010, 11:59 PM
There are ATMs around, mainly POSB and UOB. There's a cash deposit for POSB at YIH also. But a manned bank/counter is not available.

You can consider going to the nearest ones at Clementi or Holland V, if you need those services.

keat888
05-23-2010, 11:33 AM
There are ATMs around, mainly POSB and UOB. There's a cash deposit for POSB at YIH also. But a manned bank/counter is not available.

You can consider going to the nearest ones at Clementi or Holland V, if you need those services.

Thanks lavender =) Btw, is there any OCBC atm machine around? I am thinking to open an OCBC account in singapore.

dj_infurno
05-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Hi there!! Anyone here other than misshaha applied for hall? I applied for KR as my first choice hopefully I'll get it! Anyway misshaha what faculty are you admitted to? You seem to be a rather hmm.. interesting character. haha

pokkypie
05-24-2010, 11:22 AM
I applied for RH. Chose it due to the amount of double rooms available, the type of culture (based on hearsay :P), it being newly renovated, less activities to take part in (again, based on hearsay :P), and distance to FASS too.

boredgenius
05-24-2010, 03:32 PM
i would like to stay in de hostel with my bestie..may i noe how to apply to get the bunkmate that i want?

when u apply through the online portal u can actually indicate who you wish to bunk in with ;)

keat888
05-24-2010, 11:25 PM
i have applied to Eusoff hall double room for first choice and Raffles hall double room second choice. Will they give me Eusoff hall single room if i fail in getting double room for Eusoff hall, or direct offer me the raffles hall double room if available??? ;D

Zyvroklsayt
05-25-2010, 12:44 PM
They will offer you your second choice if your second choice is available and you did not get your first choice.

keat888
05-25-2010, 12:49 PM
They will offer you your second choice if your second choice is available and you did not get your first choice.

thanks you =)

Istvan
05-26-2010, 07:00 AM
Got kicked out of RH into RVR sian!!! :mad:

snowcrush
05-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Hi Guys, I didn't get my desired choice in NUS and have decided on going to NTU for the moment. I'm appealing to NUS, however.

Now here's the problem, I would really like to apply to PGP or halls but the deadline stated is 1 June. And appeal results will only be out in early July. Does that mean that I can't get to stay in hall anymore?

Will appreciate any replies!

riz_samass
05-26-2010, 05:27 PM
hi, is it common for international freshmen to have single room? i'm planning to apply to RH, EH and TH (respectively 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices). and I prefer single room. so how big is the chance I can get one?

a question for food: is the amount of food 'abundant' enough? I mean, during my Jc, I stayed in a hostel and I could get as much rice as I wanted. in terms of food, although there was waiter stood there, distributed the food, most of the time I could ask for extra/more chicken/pork/veg... so how big is the meal in the halls? sorry cos I'm a big eater :p

riz_samass
05-26-2010, 11:03 PM
I have another question:
I still haven't got my SMU application outcome. SMU told me that I might get mine in the 2nd window (10-22/6) plus, I'm appealling to NTU whose result may come out as late as early July.
Meanwhile, the NUS hostel application calendar says that we must reply to the accommodation offer within 7 days from the date of offer. So if I apply and get the offer early, i.e. 16/6 so I will have to reply latest 23/6. But what if by that time I still haven't got my appeal result yet?

Thanks

hammie
05-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Sorry, I am unfamiliar with the hall application process (I applied, was accepted, and entered hall, the end..), but food! Food, I can help to answer.

AFAIK, all halls will let you have unlimited quantities of rice for dinner, as it is self-service. There will be attendants to serve you the side dishes (meats/vegs), and they're generally nice enough to accomodate your request for a bigger helping.

Generally there will also be the option to have a soup/dessert/fruits to complete your healthy meal :p

Breakfast, on the other hand, are generally more limited. Everything is served/packed (yes, you can tapao for those early-morning lectures!) by the attendants, and even if you ask for a bigger helping, there's a limit to how much you can get.. So I hope you don't eat a lot in the morning ;)

Kangnie
05-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Can the $200 payable during online acceptance of offer be paid using eNETS too?

riz_samass
05-30-2010, 12:21 PM
hi, is it ok to put 1st choice RH single, 2nd choice RH double? I mean is it ok to put 1st 2 choices in the same hall?

btw, deadline is 1/6 means I can do my application on 1/6 or i must finish by 31/5?

Thanks

Zyvroklsayt
05-30-2010, 02:29 PM
hi, is it ok to put 1st choice RH single, 2nd choice RH double? I mean is it ok to put 1st 2 choices in the same hall?

btw, deadline is 1/6 means I can do my application on 1/6 or i must finish by 31/5?

Thanks

1. Yes.
2. From experience, 1/6. But why leave it until then if you can finish it earlier?

Spitfire
05-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Could I ask what the toilets are like, specifically for Raffles and KE7? I've heard that the toilets in Sheares are very dirty, especially since it's all single rooms and there's only a common toilet (for sixteen people), and it gets very dirty. Apparently, it's better to have a double room, since it'll be only four people to a bathroom? Any comments on this?

riz_samass
05-30-2010, 10:49 PM
1. Yes.
2. From experience, 1/6. But why leave it until then if you can finish it earlier?

Oh because I still haven't received my application outcome from SMU. they told me to wait. if the outcome isn't out by 1/6, i'm advised to accept nus first then wait for my SMU chance in 2nd window...
Thanks Zyvroklsayt :)

Zyvroklsayt
05-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Could I ask what the toilets are like, specifically for Raffles and KE7? I've heard that the toilets in Sheares are very dirty, especially since it's all single rooms and there's only a common toilet (for sixteen people), and it gets very dirty. Apparently, it's better to have a double room, since it'll be only four people to a bathroom? Any comments on this?

Raffles - Clean. At least those I used. And they were on the ground floor too - my last room was on the ground floor.

It probably depends a lot on your floormates or something. Also depends on the cleaner I guess - RH Block 5 has a very nice friendly lady doing that. But honestly if the residents decide not to dirty it up, it should not be dirty.

-------------
riz - Ah, I see. All the best, then! :)

ehoc2010
05-31-2010, 10:26 AM
Hmm Temasek and Eusoff are the sports halls? Does tt mean if you have a cca strong in sports u will have a higher chance of getting into these halls then those who hv more arts-inclined CCA portfolios?
I wonder if CCA is the only factor they look at when freshmen apply for hostels. Do they take into account distance frm home too, and which factor's more impt?

Hi, actually Eusoff favours both sportsmen and culture-inclined people equally. So arts-inclined portfolios are more than welcome! (:

hammie
05-31-2010, 11:40 AM
Hi, as an ex-Shearite, I'd have to stand up for my hall's cleaniness :p

The toilets are generally clean - there's a cleaning auntie who does daily cleaning, and there's a floor rep who'll help remind everyone to be civic conscious.

I haven't actually seen a toilet so dirty that I'll refuse to use it in 4 years... ;)

mashimaro
05-31-2010, 11:59 PM
hi i'm intending to stay in hall for a short while just to experience hall life, then shift to pgpr where there'd be fewer activities. can i switch to pgpr after 1 sem? also, must i pay any penalty for switching from hall to residence? thanks.

Zyvroklsayt
06-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Yes, you can shift to PGPR after one sem. It will involve cancelling your Sem 2 stay with your hall, and separately, applying to PGP for Sem 2 stay.

I don't think any charges/penalties will be incurred for doing so.

hefirius
06-17-2010, 07:58 AM
this sucks .. the NUS hostel request room-mate function is useless.. my room-mate was rejected but i got accepted to TH my first choice.. anyone tink theres a chance to fix this?

Zyvroklsayt
06-17-2010, 03:43 PM
hey, i cant see my assigned roommate, my and my friend(requested roommate) gt into the same hall, but i just dunno if she will be my room-mate, how to check? thanks

Hefirius: It's a "Request roommate" function, not a "Choose-and-guaranteed roommate" function. It's conditional, among other things, on whether both of you succeed in getting in together. Ask your friend to try appealing. Don't take things for granted.

xmurasakix: Try calling the office and ask.

barbie
06-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Hi,
I've been allocated a single room at RH, but it also states that the room type is not guaranteed and I may end up with a double room. I've called the office to enquire and received a very generic 'don't know anything' reply. Anyone knows the criteria for priority for single rooms? Or anyway to check if I'll get it before I pay my non-refundable deposit? TIA.

pokerface
06-20-2010, 01:40 AM
Usually its easier to get hall accomodation for freshmen for the first year. Thereafter, you need to really participate a lot in order to continue staying. You will apply in the year of matriculation.
You mean its easier to get hostel accommodation in the first year EVEN FOR LOCAL STUDENTS?

riz_samass
06-20-2010, 10:50 AM
I got Raffles double
did not request for any roommate :)
but generally i put my criteria for roommate as 'not noisy, very private..." haha. because I put a lot importance in my sleep :D and i can sleep at anytime of the day :D

needtoknow
06-20-2010, 12:14 PM
I got raffles single but now my parents are very concerned that I'm living alone...
Is it possible to appeal for a double now? But I'm afraid I can't click with my new roommate then it would be very troublesome if we were to live together

Anyone knows the condition of the toilets and is it bright at night along the hallways and stuff?

coral
06-20-2010, 12:37 PM
hi guys! so happy to see so many upcoming rafflesians! =))

to answer your roommate queries, single and double rooms are not confirmed until you go and register at the hall office when you check-in. at least that was the procedure two years ago when i first came in.

if you want a single room you have to request for it, subject to availability. so i guess it's better to check in earlier if you want to choose your room. in raffles hall, there are more spaces for double than single rooms, so chances of getting a double room for freshmen is higher (because seniors generally snap up single rooms, though this year seems to be an exception).

to request for a roommate, check-in together with your roommate and staple your forms together. i believe the JCRC would also contact you regarding orientation and roommate requests. do reply them because the JCRC and hall office are the ones who settle the rooming issues, not OSA.

do not worry about roommate issues. attend the orientation and you will make good friends. =) in the event that you can't stand your roommate, you can always approach the hall office and request for a room switch, if there's space available. the hall manager is a friendly guy.

RH rooms, i reiterate, are NEW. at most 1-year old. so are the toilets, so nothing to worry about at all. on top of that you get a brand new communal hall building (which is still under renovation at this moment). and RH has also installed this power-saving feature for corridor lights that switches alternate corridor lights off after 12am. it may be a good or bad thing depending on whether you are a night owl who does laundry in the middle of the night. haha.

cheers and see you guys in 1.5 months time!

riz_samass
06-21-2010, 09:47 AM
hey, just wanna check a bit about the rules and regulations: there will be no more curfew, rite? no more sign in sign out everytime we leave/enter the hostel rite? no more daily roomchecking, night attendance checking, rite?
I used to stay in hostels during my Sec and JC years and I am sick of these :)
also, how are the laundry things like? are the washing and drying machines coin-operated?

lavender
06-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Yup, no more daily curfews and such. What ever the hall will enforce is clearly written out in the rules and regulations that you need to to agree on before accepting the offer.

It depends on where you stay. Some hostels operate both washing machine and dryers with 20cent coins and some only enforce it on dryers. For others, the usage is free.

sooopernova.boy
06-24-2010, 10:53 PM
It depends on where you stay. Some hostels operate both washing machine and dryers with 20cent coins and some only enforce it on dryers. For others, the usage is free.

Hey lavender (hahaha it feels strange addressing someone by this name -_-), I just accepted KE7, yay! So any idea what is the case for KE7 - if there're dryers and washing machines to begin with, heh. IDK how to operate either machine, but I thought I'll ask just in case :D

And how does KE7 allocate rooms to freshies? Is it like what coral claims - where we only get to learn whether we're staying in single or double rooms only upon checking in and that everything is subject to availability (i.e. the number of single rooms snapped up by seniors beforehand)?

TIA (::::::

riz_samass
06-25-2010, 01:09 PM
hi, if we check in early, e.g. for QET, will the meals be ready for us?
or the meals will only be catered when the term officially starts, i.e. Aug 2nd?

FeNiX
06-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Hey lavender (hahaha it feels strange addressing someone by this name -_-), I just accepted KE7, yay! So any idea what is the case for KE7 - if there're dryers and washing machines to begin with, heh. IDK how to operate either machine, but I thought I'll ask just in case :D

And how does KE7 allocate rooms to freshies? Is it like what coral claims - where we only get to learn whether we're staying in single or double rooms only upon checking in and that everything is subject to availability (i.e. the number of single rooms snapped up by seniors beforehand)?

TIA (::::::

I am not lavender, but I also reside in KEVII. For KEVII, washing machines are non-coin-operated, while dryers are coin-operated. When you check-in, you will probably have a senior from the Welcoming and Orientation Committee attached to you to teach you where are and how to use all the amenities, so no frets. :)

As for allocation of rooms, although it is stated by OSA that actual rooms will only be confirmed when you check-in, generally you should be allocated the type of room you have successfully applied for. I think that statement is just a disclaimer to protect themselves in case there are any errors. Most seniors have already accepted their accomodations and rooms before the application was opened to Freshmen anyway.

hi, if we check in early, e.g. for QET, will the meals be ready for us?
or the meals will only be catered when the term officially starts, i.e. Aug 2nd?

If I am right, all meal plans, regardless of which Hall you reside in, will only be catered for during the official school terms. If you check in early, you can settle your meals at the canteens, food courts and fast food restaurants around NUS or off school compounds.

silverlaces
06-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi! :) Can I ask if anyone knows when we start checking in into our halls? Our parents can come along with us right? Oh & when do most hall orientations start? :)

hohoheha
06-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Hi
I understand that the applications for accommodation in NUS has already been closed but I heard that there's gonna be another round of applications in July. is it true? TIA
also, is it really possible to just stay for a semester? cos i thought we'd be paying based on per AY.
TIA

crxhearts
06-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Hi, would just like to check if residences have their own orientation just like the halls? How long will it be typically?

Thanks!

FeNiX
06-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Hi! :) Can I ask if anyone knows when we start checking in into our halls? Our parents can come along with us right? Oh & when do most hall orientations start? :)

You can officially check into your Hall in Week 0 (Orientation Week), which starts from 2nd August 2010. Most Halls should allow you to check-in earlier if you require, but you will have to pay the extra cost of accomodation on a daily basis. And yes, your parents can tag along with you when you check-in.

Hi
I understand that the applications for accommodation in NUS has already been closed but I heard that there's gonna be another round of applications in July. is it true? TIA
also, is it really possible to just stay for a semester? cos i thought we'd be paying based on per AY.
TIA

Not sure about the round of applications in July, but I know that they may offer you accomodation if you are on the waiting list and someone rejects his/her accomodation offer. It is possible to stay for one semester, but if you intend to do so, I would suggest going for Residences rather than Halls. Halls generally require more committed residents who can contribute to Hall CCAs. It will not be very nice to take up the space of someone who may be able to dedicate himself/herself for this cause or to quit on a CCA halfway, especially if you have already been delegated important roles.

Hi, would just like to check if residences have their own orientation just like the halls? How long will it be typically?

Thanks!

If I am right, Residences do not have any Orientations. Residences are more dormant in terms of extra-curricular activities.

crxhearts
06-30-2010, 09:35 PM
thanks FeNiX for the info!

boredgenius
08-02-2010, 12:30 AM
I just recieved an email from RH, telling me that there is a hall exam on 2nd aug.

Its stated in the email that only when we pass with 70% and above can we be considered the hall resident. Which I think its a little ridiculous, with such a short time notice( less than 24 hours) utterly disappointed.

Come on, it's just an open book questionnaire. No grade profile graph, no CPA, nothing. Don't be so stressed even before school starts. I think it's just a tradition, at least you will know and be able to say something about RH to others right?

coral
08-02-2010, 12:55 AM
I just recieved an email from RH, telling me that there is a hall exam on 2nd aug.

Its stated in the email that only when we pass with 70% and above can we be considered the hall resident. Which I think its a little ridiculous, with such a short time notice( less than 24 hours) utterly disappointed.

from your hall senior: like your fellow freshman have said, it's open book, so relax, take your hall exam with a pinch of salt and enjoy the remaining orientation! =) let us know how it went!

riz_samass
09-07-2010, 09:12 PM
hi, i'm wondering if it's possible to swap at this time of the year...
if possible, i'm looking for anyone FROM PGP who'd like to switch to Raffles Hall double room
Sex: M

or anyone of you here knows someone from pgp who desires to move in to Raffles, pls let me know :)

winnie15
03-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Hi,

Can anybody offer me more information regarding Kuok Foundation House or Ridge View Residences? I'm a Year 1, and would like to consider applying for the above 2 for Year 2. Have been staying at PGP for the past year..considering the above 2 should I not get into PGP (though I'm not sure which residence has the lowest cca points required..)

Would appreciate some input thanks alot!

Davy Jones
03-31-2011, 05:59 PM
Hello!

I am planning to enter NUS this year and would like to know more about the various forms of student accomodations.

Can anyone tell me more about the Raffles Hall?I am quite interested in this hall because it seems to capture the essence of hall life without having to be too active like some of the others. Does this idea of the raffles hall still hold true?and roughly how far is raffles hall away from fass?

and is PGPR really boring and just a place for you to live, with no activities at all?

thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my questions!:)

Zi'Ang.C
04-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Heyys, I'm an MOE Teaching Scholar awaiting admission into NUS, and I'm looking at applying to a Hall for my 1st year in NUS. Any recommendations for Halls that offer double rooms for freshies, as well as proximity to Science Fac??

kiwihead12
05-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Hi, is it crazy for an archi student to apply for KE7 as first choice as they are basically at the opposite ends of the campus..?

Also, does anybody know which hall most archi students stay in? There are quite a few close to it but many are 'sports' halls or generally very active ones (am I right?) and I'm not intending to be giving too much of my time to hall considering that archi itself should be enough to kill.

lavender
05-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Heyys, I'm an MOE Teaching Scholar awaiting admission into NUS, and I'm looking at applying to a Hall for my 1st year in NUS. Any recommendations for Halls that offer double rooms for freshies, as well as proximity to Science Fac??

Raffles hall will be your best bet, if you need a hall close to science and have double rooms.

KE7 is the closest to Science Fac, 5 minutes walk only, but we have very limited double rooms to offer. Unless you are male, then your chances of landing yourself in a male double room in my hall will be higher.

Hope this helps.

lavender
05-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Hi, is it crazy for an archi student to apply for KE7 as first choice as they are basically at the opposite ends of the campus..?

Also, does anybody know which hall most archi students stay in? There are quite a few close to it but many are 'sports' halls or generally very active ones (am I right?) and I'm not intending to be giving too much of my time to hall considering that archi itself should be enough to kill.

No it is not crazy, we do have archi or industrial design students in our hall. It is just that, on bad days, it takes half an hours to reach class. If you are not intending to participate in hall activities, perhaps PGP or UTown is a better option. All halls will appreciate some form of participation, but no one will fault you if you decide to keep to yourself. :cool:

Decide what kind of experience you are looking for before choosing the type of accommodation to apply for. There are 3 kinds of options available and they cater to different groups of students.

Zi'Ang.C
05-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Raffles hall will be your best bet, if you need a hall close to science and have double rooms.

KE7 is the closest to Science Fac, 5 minutes walk only, but we have very limited double rooms to offer. Unless you are male, then your chances of landing yourself in a male double room in my hall will be higher.

Hope this helps.

Hi lavender,

Many thks for ur reply :) I was looking at KEVII single room vs PGP, and given that the Hall allowance rates by MOE have been increased, I applied to PGP when the Hall applications opened yesterday :)

On a side note, does anyone know the size of the tables in the PGPR Type C rooms? :) TIA!!

Freshjunior
05-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Can any seniors share whether they are able to balance hall activities and uni ccas? This is because I have some varsity ccas to join in mind but am afraid that hall activities would be too overwhelming. On one hand I would like to try hall life for at least one year (because it gets really hard to join following that), but on the other I also want to be able to commit to my varsity ccas and strive for leadership positions.

sooopernova.boy
05-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Many thks for ur reply :) I was looking at KEVII single room vs PGP, and given that the Hall allowance rates by MOE have been increased, I applied to PGP when the Hall applications opened yesterday :)

Hola, slightly off-topic, but by how much did MOE increase hall reimbursement rates this year? $_$

Zi'Ang.C
05-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Hola, slightly off-topic, but by how much did MOE increase hall reimbursement rates this year? $_$

Heyys,

MOE increased the Hostel allowance from 75 a week to 90 a week (for NUS) :)

It makes single rooms and PGPR Types B/C affordable options (although you'll have to topup a little more) :)

Hope it helps!!

sooopernova.boy
05-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Heyys,

MOE increased the Hostel allowance from 75 a week to 90 a week (for NUS) :)

It makes single rooms and PGPR Types B/C affordable options (although you'll have to topup a little more) :)

Hope it helps!!

Thanks for the info! :)

Eh shoot, even though they claimed it was 75/week last year, they still paid the full 90/week amount in the end. If I'm not wrong, reimbursement rates are pegged to NUS' yearly hall single-room fees. I'm moving somewhere else slightly more ex than that this year, though. Shoot, better send distress email... :/

Zi'Ang.C
05-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the info! :)

Eh shoot, even though they claimed it was 75/week last year, they still paid the full 90/week amount in the end. If I'm not wrong, reimbursement rates are pegged to NUS' yearly hall single-room fees. I'm moving somewhere else slightly more ex than that this year, though. Shoot, better send distress email... :/

In case I forgot, the rates were revised in Dec'10 to 90 a week.

If the rates are indeed, pegged to NUS single room rates, all the better :)

By e way, you're also a TS(L) holder ya? :)

euporie
05-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Hi, I'm looking for a hall which maybe I can join a band or musical/art group and hopefully activities won't be very taxing as I would prefer to spend some time studying and sleeping as well! I'll prefer a single room (unless I can definitely get to share a double room with a known roommate/friend) that will have a higher chance to get in as a freshman. Which hall should I apply? And I didn't have any leadership positions in my CCA (performing arts) so is that a not very good chance?

Also, we can go back home on weekends or so right?

Yang
05-08-2011, 10:44 PM
hey. just wanna noe. the toilet is common one, or issit one toilet in every room?

Zi'Ang.C
05-09-2011, 08:39 AM
hey. just wanna noe. the toilet is common one, or issit one toilet in every room?

Common toilets are the norm. AFAIK, PGP Type A Rooms have their own toilets, but it comes at a fairly steep price tag ($180 weekly).

Hope that helps :)

Yang
05-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Common toilets are the norm. AFAIK, PGP Type A Rooms have their own toilets, but it comes at a fairly steep price tag ($180 weekly).

oh i see. are those rooms rare and hard to bid for? 180 per week is rlly quite ex..wad is the rate for the normal rooms?:)

Zi'Ang.C
05-10-2011, 08:31 AM
oh i see. are those rooms rare and hard to bid for? 180 per week is rlly quite ex..wad is the rate for the normal rooms?:)

Heyys,

The rates of normal rooms typically range from $75/week to $110/week. More info reg. the rates of the rooms in the halls & residences can be found at this website:
http://www.nus.edu.sg/osa/housing/undergraduate/rates.html

The PGPR Type A rooms (the rooms with A/C and indivudal toilets) are pretty hard to bid for, given that there are 285 rooms out of the 2800 rooms in total at PGPR.

On a side note, if you're the more 'social' and 'fun-loving' type, do consder applying to the Halls of Residence, as there's way more social interaction in the Halls than in PGPR :)

Hope that helps!! :)

everupbeat
05-11-2011, 01:02 AM
hey guys, went to the hall application page today and at the 2nd step (personal particulars) it required us to 'attach copy of your student pass using the Supporting Documents link on the left.' 2 fields above this was(Please update the fields below if you are an international student who is currently holding a valid student pass), does it refer to international students only? (paiseh, asking to double confirm just in case) is this student pass th ez link card we used in jc? what to do if i've already returned it to smrt after it expired?

innovator
05-11-2011, 01:39 AM
Sorry, I am a noob here. I'll be matriculating in 2013 coz of ns. When should I apply for a hall ah? This year? Which hall should I apply to if Im those less enthu ppl? coz I wanna spend more time in ccas.

Zi'Ang.C
05-11-2011, 08:58 AM
hey guys, went to the hall application page today and at the 2nd step (personal particulars) it required us to 'attach copy of your student pass using the Supporting Documents link on the left.' 2 fields above this was(Please update the fields below if you are an international student who is currently holding a valid student pass), does it refer to international students only? (paiseh, asking to double confirm just in case) is this student pass th ez link card we used in jc? what to do if i've already returned it to smrt after it expired?

Helloos,

You'd just need to upload your passport photo to them.

You won't need to upload/update the form with the student pass info as it only applies to international students.

The 'student pass' mentioned in the application form, is NOT ur jc ezlink card :D

By e way, which halls are u planning to apply to? :)

Zi'Ang.C
05-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Sorry, I am a noob here. I'll be matriculating in 2013 coz of ns. When should I apply for a hall ah? This year? Which hall should I apply to if Im those less enthu ppl? coz I wanna spend more time in ccas.

Hi innovator,

Returning NSman right here :)

Apply in the year you're entering University :)

You can consider applying to PGP Residences (PGPR), as PGP has less social acivities compared to the Halls. It gives you more freedom to manage your time, and you'll also not be caught up in the fluster of Hall activities. IF you REALLY HAVE to apply to a Hall, KE7 is one of your best bets as they're more low-key compared to the other Halls in NUS.

sooopernova.boy
05-13-2011, 10:02 AM
In case I forgot, the rates were revised in Dec'10 to 90 a week.

If the rates are indeed, pegged to NUS single room rates, all the better :)

By e way, you're also a TS(L) holder ya? :)

Yeah. A very poor one, haha... when money is dispensed in one lump sum, you tend to spend everything like, within a week :3

Zi'Ang.C
05-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Yeah. A very poor one, haha... when money is dispensed in one lump sum, you tend to spend everything like, within a week :3

Ehh, just curious (though I'm kinda digressing frm e thread here), your annual allowance (7100 during ur time i guess) is given one off? Cuz for my batch, they updated the allowance rates to 650 mthly, but I'm secretly hoping they dispense it one off (as I'm like.. broke now), hehe :D

sugan
05-14-2011, 12:21 AM
is it likely that if I applied for single room but end up with double room( after checking in)?

why is there a price difference for the MEAL in raffles compare to the others?

MinnieMe
05-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Hi all! I would like to ask about the toilet facilities in NUS halls. which hall has the best toilet facilities? from what i understand, there is usually a common toilet on every floor. roughly how many cubicles are there? Are there alot people sharing one toilet? And how do the shower rooms look like? Hope they are not like those shower cubicles in camps >.<

everupbeat
05-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Helloos,

You'd just need to upload your passport photo to them.

You won't need to upload/update the form with the student pass info as it only applies to international students.

The 'student pass' mentioned in the application form, is NOT ur jc ezlink card :D

By e way, which halls are u planning to apply to? :)

ohh haha! icic thanks! =D applied raffles hall single room. there was this section for filling up ccas, cip and stuff, by th time i finished and clicked t 'save and cont' th thing timed me out! >< had t redo it lol!

Jessica
05-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Hi, im thinking of applying for PGPR but the cost of type A rooms are too expensive haha! Looking at KE7 instead, but the problem is that i need A/C rooms >.<! does the rooms in KE7 have aircon? :p

Zi'Ang.C
05-15-2011, 12:27 AM
ohh haha! icic thanks! =D applied raffles hall single room. there was this section for filling up ccas, cip and stuff, by th time i finished and clicked t 'save and cont' th thing timed me out! >< had t redo it lol!

LOL!!

I guess applying to PGP does save you a fair bit of trouble (when you get to bypass filling in all the CCA, CIP info), Hehe :D

By e way, which course are you majoring in in Uni? :)

Hi, im thinking of applying for PGPR but the cost of type A rooms are too expensive haha! Looking at KE7 instead, but the problem is that i need A/C rooms >.<! does the rooms in KE7 have aircon? :p

Hi Jessica,

From what I gather, there are no A/C rooms in KE7. There are A/C rooms in PGP (the Type A ones), as well as in the all-new University Town (UTown) Residential College.

For the UTown rooms, the base rates are 125/135 (corridoor/6-bedroom) weekly. HOWEVER, this excludes the a/c charges, which are on a 'pay-as-you-use'/prepaid basis.

PGP Type A rooms, although EXHORBITANTLY expensive (compared to the Type B & C rooms), have the A/C and personal bathroom charges counted in as well.

IMO, PGP Type A may be a little 'overkill' if you do not need the luxury of a personal bathroom. However, given that you will have to further pay A/C charges for the UTown rooms (and that there might be no personal toilet for the UTown rooms), PGP Type A may be more worthwhile.

Eitherways, u may wanna act quick as there are VERY limited PGP Type A rooms (280+ I think), and UTown requires application and (maybe) an interview.

http://www.nus.edu.sg/osa/housing/undergraduate/rates.html
FYIP

IF ALL FAILS, there's the A/C study lounge in KE7 that you can always fall back on :D

You're a prospective Sci/Med student I guess?

everupbeat
05-15-2011, 01:17 AM
LOL!!

I guess applying to PGP does save you a fair bit of trouble (when you get to bypass filling in all the CCA, CIP info), Hehe :D

By e way, which course are you majoring in in Uni? :)

haha i wanna experience hall life so pgp's a nono fr me! :P majoring in life sci. oh ya! applied t KEVII too cos of th close proximity t sci fac =) gg for fos open house?

Zi'Ang.C
05-15-2011, 01:19 AM
haha i wanna experience hall life so pgp's a nono fr me! :P majoring in life sci. oh ya! applied t KEVII too cos of th close proximity t sci fac =) gg for fos open house?

Bwhahas, chemistry major here :)

Yep, i'm gg for e Open Hse. U too? :)

everupbeat
05-15-2011, 01:27 AM
Bwhahas, chemistry major here :)

Yep, i'm gg for e Open Hse. U too? :)

that's cool! haha yep. signed up fr any hall camps? quite excited, th time of decaying at home's finally coming t an end soon!

Zi'Ang.C
05-15-2011, 01:30 AM
that's cool! haha yep. signed up fr any hall camps? quite excited, th time of decaying at home's finally coming t an end soon!

didnt sign up for any hall camps. Signed for Science Camp (SCAMP) instead. Applied to PGP as I didnt want Hall Life to interfere with my teaching scholarship :)

U signed up for any faculty/cca camps?

everupbeat
05-15-2011, 01:33 AM
didnt sign up for any hall camps. Signed for Science Camp (SCAMP) instead. Applied to PGP as I didnt want Hall Life to interfere with my teaching scholarship :)

U signed up for any faculty/cca camps?

oo! ohmy! did i miss th deadline for scamp? there r cca camps as well? so far only signed up for a hall camp! ohh icic, planning t stay there fr ur 3-4yrs at nus?

Zi'Ang.C
05-15-2011, 01:39 AM
oo! ohmy! did i miss th deadline for scamp? there r cca camps as well? so far only signed up for a hall camp! ohh icic, planning t stay there fr ur 3-4yrs at nus?

Dun think u missed any deadline :)

U'll have to sign up for SCAMP @ the NUS Science Club website:
http://www.nusscienceclub.com/

there are CCA camps, but I didnt sign up for any as I'm pretty undecided abt ccas.

I dun mind staying there 4 yrs as MOE's paying, but more importantly, I dun have to run home daily (as I stay in Yishun).

U also considering staying hall for 3-4 yrs too?