PDA

View Full Version : anyone knows the maximum deferment for Singapore Males hoping to get enrolled?

fudoushin
07-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Hi guys,
If im entering NS in Oct 23 2009 and will ORD/come out in 2 years prior from the date.

When should i apply for US colleges? and what is the maximum period of deferment if i have been accepted? anyone care to share their experiences? that will be much valued.

thanks

Run
07-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Hi guys,
If im entering NS in Oct 23 2009 and will ORD/come out in 2 years prior from the date.

When should i apply for US colleges? and what is the maximum period of deferment if i have been accepted? anyone care to share their experiences? that will be much valued.

thanks

From what I know, many US universities allow 2 years of deferment. You have to check with the universities you are applying to whether they allow 2-year deferments.

However, since you enlist in October, things could get a little bit tricky. If you don't mind an extra gap year, you could apply next year. If you do not want an extra gap year, you could apply for the US colleges this year, and try and apply for deferment in the army for your last one or two months, but you'll have to serve your remaining time during your holidays. I've heard of people doing so.

Hope this helps.

:)

fudoushin
07-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks for replying. Are you implying that if I don't apply by this year, I might not get into the Fall class of 2011?

Haha. This is complicating man..I guess lets say if I have been accepted, i will then be required to ask my unit's OC in-command whilst in NS for deferment?

LockT31W
07-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Actually I think Run was talking about poly grads who 1) have a place in local uni starting in August and 2) ORD in September of that year, after their June batch peers. Those people will be allowed to disrupt NS to begin their university studies, so as to be fair to them (otherwise, they would have to matriculate 1 year after their June batch peers.) If you're a JC grad, you'll have no chance of getting disrupted to begin your university, whether you're Jan or Apr batch.

October enlistment is very odd. Are you a poly or JC grad? What is your situation?

You can apply now if you're planning to enroll in 2011 - just remember to check in advance with your colleges whether they grant deferments.

vitalism
08-29-2009, 01:02 AM
most schools (with the notable exception of UC Berkeley) allows for 2 year deferment for NS. they have accepted enough Singaporeans to understand the system here so don't worry about this!