PDA

View Full Version : do Singaporean students need to take TOEFL??

rongsquare
10-31-2009, 10:44 PM
hi pardon for being a noob here. do we need to take TOEFL for US uni application? or does it depend on different uni's requirement?

koo86
10-31-2009, 11:21 PM
hi pardon for being a noob here. do we need to take TOEFL for US uni application? or does it depend on different uni's requirement?

It depends on the uni requirement

Run
11-01-2009, 12:32 AM
It depends on the uni requirement

Agreed. Even if they do, most universities are willing to waive the TOEFL requirement if you score decently on the SAT. :)

koo86
11-01-2009, 06:51 AM
Agreed. Even if they do, most universities are willing to waive the TOEFL requirement if you score decently on the SAT. :)

I concur :p

rongsquare
11-01-2009, 11:57 AM
actually im pretty confused. most uni webpages states that need to take toefl if u are not from english speaking countries... it doesn't really ans me whether i need to take or not... is it possible for anyone of you to share ur experience if u actually need to take toefl? assuming im applying to UCBerkeley, Stanford, Michigan,AnnArbor, CALtech and UIUC. thanks :D:D

Run
11-01-2009, 06:18 PM
actually im pretty confused. most uni webpages states that need to take toefl if u are not from english speaking countries... it doesn't really ans me whether i need to take or not... is it possible for anyone of you to share ur experience if u actually need to take toefl? assuming im applying to UCBerkeley, Stanford, Michigan,AnnArbor, CALtech and UIUC. thanks :D:D

Actually, many universities consider Singapore as an English-speaking country, since our lessons are conducted in English.

koo86
11-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Actually, many universities consider Singapore as an English-speaking country, since our lessons are conducted in English.

Hmm this one i doubt so, I've got a friend who got accepted into Uni of Chicago, he's an A lvl student by the way and he was required to take Toefl

haydennimo
12-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Maybe you can check with the uni if they accept O levels in place of TOEFL?

NX-01
12-31-2009, 09:31 AM
Do Singaporean students applying to UC Berkeley need to take Toefl/IELTS? They say on their website that only foreigners coming from non English speaking nations need to take it.

kai0
09-05-2010, 12:29 AM
yes its is required by most universities and it is better to take it since it is clearly stated by US universities that any student whom native language is non-english is required to take TOEFL.

Run
09-05-2010, 07:14 AM
yes its is required by most universities and it is better to take it since it is clearly stated by US universities that any student whom native language is non-english is required to take TOEFL.

Actually, I didn't need to take TOEFL for any of the US universities that I applied to...

HappyGoLucky
09-05-2010, 06:21 PM
2. Language Proficiency Testing (waivable)

This is optional, in my experience. TOEFL and IELTS are evil money-sucking companies. I emailed the colleges:

--------------
To whom it may concern,

I am an international applicant and I scored a 35 on the ACT English section. I speak English at home, and it is also the language I am most proficient in. Can the TOEFL requirement be waived?

Thank you,

Andrew Loh
------------------------

Responses:
---------------------------
Duke:
Hi Andrew......ABSOLUTELY!!!! With a 35 on the ACT English section, we
will not need to see a TOEFL score. Thanks for asking.
---------------------
Yale:
Then don't worry about it. If your first language is English then don't worry about the TOEFL.
-------------------------
Macalester:
We can waive TOEFL. Please once again remind us regarding your request for the waiver after we have received your ACT results and your application.
-----------------------
Cornell:
The test is waived if students have a score of 670 or higher on the SAT Critical Reading Test.
------------------------

From my CommonApp:

Note that by definition, my "mother tongue" is Chinese, whereas my "first language", "language spoken at home" and "language most proficient in" is English, and my "medium of education" is Malay.

P/S Nag: You're applying to US unis lah. Take lah some initiative. And muka tembok=good. Jangan shy shy.

http://andrewlza.wordpress.com/2010/07/21/for-the-kiamsiap-how-to-save-money-in-us-college-applications/#more-563

ctrlsave
02-26-2011, 06:01 AM
never hurts to email and ask.
So far i've gotten waivers from nyu, ucla.

LockT31W
03-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Generally Singaporeans don't need the TOEFL, they're familiar with us to know that English is no problem for us :)

patryn33
03-03-2011, 01:19 AM
really depends.
I had a friend gradated from NUS and applying to US Grad School.
almost all the Uni he is interested in asked him to supply TOEFL.
eg
Temple, PSU, SJU, Uni of Wisconsin

IBette
03-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Actually the requirements for TOEFL vary, some universities consider Singaporean students to come from an English speaking background and therefore would grant an exemption, however others insist on either the TOEFL or IELTS. You can contact the university directly to tell them about your background and enquire if the tests are required for admission.

PacMan
03-05-2011, 01:29 AM
really depends.
I had a friend gradated from NUS and applying to US Grad School.
almost all the Uni he is interested in asked him to supply TOEFL.
eg
Temple, PSU, SJU, Uni of Wisconsin

grad school language requirements are usually stricter than undergrad.