PDA

View Full Version : Help needed!!!

highwind
12-16-2009, 11:01 PM
10 characters

Haecceity
01-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Hi! I'm currently a 2009 JC1 student. I want to begin thinking for my future career now because I know that there's a lot of things I need to do to plan for college.

The first problem arises, what career do I want to go into. I've thought about it and millions of different choices popped up in my head and I just can't decide!

Firstly, I know I like Physics, I've always been fascinated with Sci-Fi shows like Fringe, Iron Man (The Movie) and Lex Luthor (Superman villian). I've always thought how wonderful if I'd be able to work in multi-billion dollar corporations doing research on cutting edge technologies.

How this goes on in reality is totally a mess for me. I want to work in the Research & Development sector, preferably very interesting technologies like nanotech, weapons development etc. However, I don't want to work as a Scientist forever, I want to go on to set up my own company or reach the uppermanagement level in my company. I want to experience a life climbing the corporate ladder.

Anyone has a clue or suggestion on what kind of jobs suits my interests? Any help would be much appreciated!

If you want to "climb the corporate ladder", I'ld suggest something to do with business management in uni.

However, if you really like physics and R&D, you could always try doing engineering, which sounds as though it'll fit your interests much better.

Why do you want to "climb the corporate ladder" though?

DukeBlue
01-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Hi highwind,
First off, I should laud your lofty and very ambitious life-goals. That is certainly quite proactive. I also hope you realize that people change, especially between the ages of 18-25. As you learn more about the world and about yourself, your preferences and therefore your goals too may change; it is partially for this reason that there are many unhappily bonded scholars out there today. Therefore, remember your goals are not set in stone, but rather a reflection of what drives you right now. A combination of flexibility and determination is key.

Realistically speaking, you should check if a Bachelor's in Engineering (or Physics) is really sufficient to qualify you to do what you want to do. For some of the more highly specialized R&D jobs, you will actually need a PhD.

Also, most people in this world are (barely) capable of becoming good at one thing. You, however, are hoping to become great at two very different things (science/research, and then leadership/management). Needless to say, this is going to take a ton of hard work. The number of real-world Tony Starks and Lex Luthors is not very high, mainly because it requires one to be a geniuses in not one but a multitude of disciplines (science, tech, R&D, leadership, finance, corporate management).

That said, if you have the drive and the talent to master these skill-sets in the future (you'll probably be well in your 30s if not 40s by then), you can pretty much write your own paycheck, as such a combination of competences is rare.

smash
01-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Err, i guess one shouldnt be too greedy. Decide on where yr strengths really lie in, and go forward to pursue it. Don be overly ambitious but again I applaud for that. Anyway, you still have like two years ahead to think, so don worry, just relax and enjoy yr study life right now.:D