PDA

View Full Version : looking for uni in cali

okiduki
03-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Hi i;m a poly grad with gpa of 3.2 and O level of l1r4 9 and r5. I'm keen in schools around california. Based on my results what school do u all recommend to apply and why? is there any further info u guys need from me? THANK FOR THE HELP =D

Haecceity
03-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Depends on what you want to study in California (business? engineering?), and where - community colleges? Private Universities? Public Universities? Accredited in Singapore? California is also a big state - any idea which county you want to study in? (but that's not so relevant.)

Most US Schools, including California universities, look at SATs when applying for admission, and not poly diplomas. (I think a few don't, but you have to check with the specific school.)

okiduki
03-03-2010, 06:26 PM
basically i;m looking at business and some people has introduced me to cal state fullerton however with my results is this only uni i have to settle for? or are there other uni i can consider as well? Or taking SAT will help in deciding which uni in cali i can apply? i;m not sure which county but around fullerton that area is fine =D

Haecceity
03-04-2010, 10:04 AM
From the website (http://www.fullerton.edu/admissions/ProspectiveStudent/International.asp):
Students applying with no college work completed must have a score of at least 500 on the paper test or 61 Internet-based test (iBT) of the TOEFL. An acceptable IELTS score is 6.5. Computer-based TOEFL scores are not accepted. In addition, they must have completed coursework equivalent to a U. S. high school curriculum.

Yes, you will need an additional test. Your poly grade doesn't make a difference, unless you want to try applying there as an "International Transfer Student" (which is entirely possible, and cuts down on your studying time).

For other universities you can consider, you can check here (http://www.wascsenior.org/directory/institutions), which has a list of universities accredited in US (although that is not a guarantee of whether it will be accredited in Singapore). There's also a ranking here (http://www.4icu.org/us/California.htm) and here (http://education-portal.com/article_directory/Top_Business_Schools_in_California.html) of universities in California, but I'm not sure of how accurate they are. (Cal State Fullerton looks to be one of the best business schools, so I wouldn't worry.)

Don't just take SATs, because some schools don't want SATs, or some use ACTs instead, or, like Cal State Fullerton, use IELTS. Save the money, decide on which school you want to go to, then see if they will consider your poly dip and O level English result (since I've heard some do consider it). (Lots of generalisations here, think of the specific school and see what they need.) For Cal State Fullerton, you only need the IELTS.

I wouldn't worry too much about your grades, to be honest, since American universities also look at things like your CCA records and personal essay.

tseyun
03-04-2010, 01:39 PM
hi, i'm a poly grad with poor gpa of about 2.0 or slightly less. I am also looking for a uni in the area of california. since you said that our poly grades doesn't really make a difference, does it mean that if i score average or quite well for my SATs (which i'm going to take) , i'll have a good chance of entering into one? (such as Cal State Fullerton) however, i'm looking to enter as a transfer student...

Haecceity
03-04-2010, 02:28 PM
hi, i'm a poly grad with poor gpa of about 2.0 or slightly less. I am also looking for a uni in the area of california. since you said that our poly grades doesn't really make a difference, does it mean that if i score average or quite well for my SATs (which i'm going to take) , i'll have a good chance of entering into one? (such as Cal State Fullerton) however, i'm looking to enter as a transfer student...
Yes, doing well on your SATs (or average) means you'll have a good chance, but you don't necessarily have to take SATs; depends on which uni you're going to. I'm pretty sure your poly grades don't make a difference, since most US Unis look at the whole package (CCA, CIP, etc), and they prefer SATs/ACTs/some other test, but again, depends on the uni.

Transfer student requirements tend to be different, so I can't make an accurate comment. It's best to contact the school to ask.

I would say go for it all the same, and that you'll probably have a good chance of getting into one. Tell us how it goes please?

Michelle
03-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Most US uni ask for the SAT, so you should check directly with the admission offices. I am guessing you guys are basically saying your current poly grads are not so hot but asking which unis you would have a good chance at. I would agree with Haecceity, the US schools don't really look at your poly grads unless it's a transfer case. If I were you, I would take the SAT and try to do well. Then select your schools. You will be spending quite a lot of money studying in CA, so might as well get into the best schools you can.

Another way of deciding what schools to consider is to figure out how much you can afford. The public/state schools are a lot cheaper than private schools. And the cost of living schools inside the big cities like LA, SF, SD will be a lot higher than say in a smaller town in CA. So if you can narrow down to what is realistic cost wise, then you can figure what your options are.

Decent schools you can consider (I am more familar with schools ard SF):

Any schools within the UC system (except UCLA, Berkerley, these are tough to get in)
Any schools within the Cal State system
Golden Gate University (SF)
San Jose State University
U of SF
U of San Diego

Another "trick" people use to get into say UC schools is to enrol in community colleges that are affiliated to UC schools. They study there 1-2 years and then transfer. EG is Foothill College in SF South Bay which (if i remember correctly) feeds into UC Berkeley. Please check with the respective colleges to make sure.

One more last thing, if you are looking to work in the US after you graduate, it will make sense to also consider schools near to where many employers are. EG, the silicon valley which is basically known as SF South Bay.

Btw, CA is a fantastic place to live. I loved it. Spent 6 years there. :)

okiduki
03-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. but however if i start as a freshmen wouldn;t be like taking 4 yrs to complete my degree? What i heard is to go to a community college 1st as the sch fees are cheaper and transfer to other schools like cal states or UCs. Is this what u guys are saying? Am i on the right track?

Haecceity
03-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Yup. If you start as a freshman, it would take four years to get your degree. If you go to a community college, it's two years there, and you transfer to another university for another two years. Either way it's still four years.

Run
03-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Yup. If you start as a freshman, it would take four years to get your degree. If you go to a community college, it's two years there, and you transfer to another university for another two years. Either way it's still four years.

Yes, but the two years in community college is cheaper than 2 years in college. :)

On an unrelated note, many of my 'kiasu' friends finish their undergrad degree in 3 years. This is, of course, after taking on crazy courseloads, summer school, and perhaps a few exemptions. Non-scholars usually do this to save money and to start working as soon as possible or perhaps to do their Master's degree. The scholars usually do so to go for an additional Master's degree in their fourth year.

okiduki
03-09-2010, 09:44 PM
well if that's the case will it be wiser for me to complete my biz degree say SIM's univerisity of buffalo in 2yrs and then go over to US to complete my masters. Will this way be a better choice? in terms of $ and time?

Run
03-09-2010, 11:05 PM
well if that's the case will it be wiser for me to complete my biz degree say SIM's univerisity of buffalo in 2yrs and then go over to US to complete my masters. Will this way be a better choice? in terms of $ and time?

Hmm, it might be. But before you set your mind on doing so, remember to check whether a bachelor's degree at SIM will allow you to do a master's over in the US.

:)