PDA

View Full Version : commerical pilot for a poly student.

blackhawkdown
03-07-2010, 12:31 AM
hi guys. I'm rather interested in being a commerical pilot. it doesnt really matter which airline i'll work for. I am 19 this year, currently studying dip. in civil engineering and management at Singapore Polytechnic. I have just finished year 2 and will be starting year 3 the coming april. My results are 3.5gpa so far. well, the only things that sets me apart are that i posessed a boating licence and a car driving licence as well. my eye sight is 600 both eyes and i'm willing to undergo lasik. may i know what are my chances into being a commerical pilot?

many thanks!

regards,

maverick
07-17-2010, 12:49 AM
Well, that will depend if you're for the self-funded route, the military route or the SIA Cadet Pilot scheme. :)

Pros & Cons

Self-funded

- Very expensive
- No guarantee of a job
- Only 2 approved flight schools in Singapore

> You will get your licences and ratings faster
> Not be bonded by any contract
> Flexibility

Military

- Bonded for a period of 12 years IIRC (RSAF)
- You will have to pass BMT and go on to OCS
- Not much flying
- Admin/Officer duties will take much of your flying time

> Free training/food/accomodation etc.
> Top quality
> Salary while you learn how to fly

Singapore Airlines Cadet Pilot Scheme

- Bonded for 7 years
- Extremely competitive
- Very little time for your family IF you have one

> Free training/food/accomodation etc.
> More or less guaranteed a job with SIA/SIA Cargo/SilkAir
> Prestigious airline
> High salary compared to many other jobs

Basically, to be a commercial pilot is not hard and not easy as well. Many people see to it that self-funded pilot programs are the easiest way to get a license and this is true in a way. However, if you were to get your license on your own, you might not be guaranteed a job afterwards. Job opportunities for 'freshies' include flight instructing/charter flights/banner towing, etc. This jobs do not fetch high salaries but they are often the first stepping stone for most self-funded cadets.

My advice is to get a good Bachelor's Degree and if you do not already have 5 O' Level credits, now is the time to take it again. After that, go for a Class 1 Medical to determine if you are medically fit to gain a Commercial Pilot License. Upon obtaining all these, AND if you're above 25, you can then apply for SIA's Cadet Pilot program.

I wish you all the best in your dream.

Aspiring SIA Pilot

"For once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been, and there you will long to be."