PDA

View Full Version : vet school

riane
11-22-2007, 11:05 PM
hi,im not sure if vet school is categorised under medicine,but i'm assuming it is so here goes:)
which schools are best for veterinary science,though im only looking at australian or american universities, in terms of uni life, people and type of assesment n course structure?thanks!

heng
12-11-2007, 08:40 PM
hi riane, i'm going vet sch next yr so i couuld provide a little advice. If you need to know more you could always volunteer at a vet clinic and there you can ask the vets questions.

as far as i know there isn't really a ranking of vet schools. you should be more concerned with school fees, distance from home and whether is the degree recognised in singapore.(if you intend to practice in singapore)

just to let you know, in america vet school is a graduate school, which means you have to do a basic degree first, before being allowed to go for a vet degree. that would come to about 7-8 years before you can be a vet, as compared to 5-6 years in australian, uk and new zealand vet schools which accept A-lvl and relevant diploma holders.

if you need more info go to the singapore veterinary association website. they have a section on careers as a vet, and also contact no. for most vet clinics in singapore. you could give them a ring and see if they'd want you as a volunteer.

http://www.sva.org.sg/en/index.php

hope this helps. good luck!

riane
12-21-2007, 11:59 PM
yup,thanks it helps!i think i'll probably go to an australian uni then in that case.
and just a few more things, certain schools have really strict criteria in terms of experience with animals,so if i happen to volunteer in a vet clinic for say,a few weeks only,is that enough? or should i try to find holiday jobs in animal/vet related fields such as pet shops,zoo,etc.?
and btw,how long do internships last at clinics,or is it up to me?
and any other advice on how to beef up my application in the coming yearor any other preparations i should do,cos i only plan to enter in 2009,so i have about a year to do so :)
thanks so much,cos i've asked around and many people i've asked can only give me second hand sketchy advice as they only know of ppl going into vet school,n so sorry for the many qns!:o
thanks again!

heng
12-22-2007, 11:18 PM
Hi, if you are planning on going to Australia to study currently there are only 4 universities that have vet degrees that are currently recognised by AVA, the vet licensing authority in Singapore.

They are:
1) University of Sydney
2) University of Melbourne
3) University of Queensland
4) Murdoch University (in Perth)

I applied for vet science for Melbourne, Sydney and Murdoch. For Melbourne and Sydney, I submitted my A-levels and that was enough to get me an offer from them.Only Murdoch requires additional personal statement, and a curriculum vitae citing relavant work experience in the veterinary field. If you want to beef up your application, include a personal statement on why you want to be a vet, and also probably include reference letters from the vet clinics to show relevant work experience.

I suggest you apply through an agent like IDP or OAL. They have the experience in helping students apply for australian universities, and are able to help you apply on your behalf for a place in the australian univeristies. I think they are holding a education fair in January. It would be a good opportunity for you to find out more by talking to representatives from the universities. Check their websites for more details.

www.idp.com/singapore/article1.asp
www.oal.com.sg

As for volunteering at a vet clinic, I'd suggest at least 2 weeks and you could always try different clinics too. For me I've been volunteering at a clinic for several months and will probably do so till I fly off for my studies next feb. But it all depends on the arrangement you work out with the clinic you volunteer at. Some are nice enough to let you stay on as long as you like. I heard the zoo requires volunteers too but I haven't really asked them. You could also try SPCA. Volunteering is good experience and lets you understand the life of a vet better. That will help you make a better decision of whether do you really want to be a vet. It also expands your network as you will meet vets and vet students who will probably be your future colleages.

Don't forget to look through this section in the SVA website. Its very important that you look through each factor before going ahead with your decision.

http://www.sva.org.sg/en/career.php

Thats all I can think of now. If you do volunteer witha clinic you can always ask the vets as they would know better than me. Good luck with your application!

riane
12-26-2007, 12:35 PM
hi heng,
yup i have been visiting an animal shelter though quite irregularly,so i don't think i can get an official letter from them,but will probably try the vet clinics around. and i've actually thought of going to uni of queensland,sydney or melbourne,so thanks abt the application part!
okay thanks for all the help,really appreciate it!
all the best for vet school then n Merry Christmas!:)

ckloh
02-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi riane,

I'm currently on national service. Another year to go. I'm also applying for veterinary science to Australia. For your info, you can apply to the uni through Uni-Ed/Aus-Ed agency (near tanjong pagar mrt) or IDP (orange grange road, RELC building near orchard area). I've spoken to the admission officer from Murdoch and Uni of Queensland last year, hope I can help you with some advices.

FYI,

1. Murdoch Uni - 6 years, requires personal statement and CV + relevant docs. approx. 50 international students/year

2. Uni of Queensland - 5 years. With 'Physics' made compulsary as an admission A lvl subject. approx 32 international students/year

3. Uni of sydney - 5 years. Requires Maths, Chemistry and either Physics/Biology if I'm not wrong (I need to double confirm this).

4. Uni of Melbourne - 5 years. Campus in the city, and with its good reputation as a university, the tuition fees are generally higher than the other 3. Requires straight As for Maths, Chem and Phy. Good GP grades as well, at least a B4?

Yup. that's a rough idea for you. Feel free to ask any questions! I was like you 2 years back, so don't worry. so you're waiting for your A lvl results? or..?

Warmest Regards,
CK (:

riane
02-29-2008, 09:40 PM
hey ck,

first of all,thanks for all that info!
and i was kinda set on going to queensland,but i don't take physics:(
only chem,bio,math and h1 geography.
and yup,im currently awaiting results. out of curiosity,which unis did u apply to,and what was the application procedure like?any tips?:)
anyway,for murdoch right, is it true that the admissions scores arent that stringent as compared to the rest,as the first year is a foundation course or biotec/biomed? and if i would like to venture into wildlife veterinary in the future, which of these unis would cater best to that? because from what i've read,most of these unis focus on solely small animal practice and large anima/equine practice.
other than that, would you advise me to go ahead and apply for a local course such as biological sciences in nus or ntu in addition to vet science?
but am i allowed to withdraw from the uni once i get a reply from vet school,or will that just be a waste of money?
ok thats abt all for now!
thanks so much,i really appreciate it!

cheers,
riane

ckloh
03-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Hi riane,

wah! so many questions. no worries, I'll answer them.

First of all, I applied to Murdoch, Queensland and Sydney. I'm aiming for Murdoch. The application procedure was pretty simple..I actually took the application form at suntec where they had an exhibition every year for studying overseas. you should keep a lookout in the newspaper for such exhibitions, there's one on Murdoch Uni today and tomorrow at suntec! (1st Mar & 2nd Mar). It was a pretty long application form so I completed at home and then I went to the agency (Aus-Ed) to submit, together with my O lvl and A lvl results and all the relevant docs. Normally they will send the forms over before end of May. If you need any help, you can contact me as I know the agent quite well (for at least 3 years already!) Application processes are very similar throughout unis abroad.

Now onto the next qn. In fact, Murdoch Uni is the best Uni in Australia for Vet Science. It requires at least a AAB for A lvls. It has good reputation and more importantly, it is the only uni to have the farm in its own campus! well, for me, I think it'll save alot of travelling time and transport costs ;) As the last 2 years it's be alot on clinical and hands on work, so it is relevant to have the farm in the campus instead of having one in the outskirts of the city.

Ok, here's how the course works for different uni. Queensland requires students to do a pre-vet year such that it will be a requirement to be admitted into the second year. For murdoch, sydney and melbourne, they all teaches Bio on the 1st year, pretty much like A lvl Bio. It's a foundation for all. There's no uni I'd reccommend if you're venturing into wildlife veterinary cos I'm also heading towards wildlife vet life after I'm done with a few years of urban clinical practices.

Regarding applying for a bio course in NTU/NUS, I don't think it'll be necessary. Cos the duration of vet sci itself is already 5 years, I don't think it'll be practical to go for another 3-4 year bio course locally. Yup, you can speak to the agents at display booths when they come! (I'll leave my email address so you can email me directly, or even you can also send your hp no. to me in the email so I can sms you to let you know about the exhibitions coming up and you can plan for it.)

Alright, lastly. Once you send ur application to australia, normally the uni will go thru a few phases to approve ur application. For Murdoch it's 4 phases in a year, meaning they will eg. select 8 students in Mar, another 8 in June, 8 in Sept and 8 in Dec. Those who did not get selected in the 1st phase will be pushed to the next phase and so on. So if they reply you that they have selected you, you'd have to pay the 1st year tution fee in order to confirm ur place. If you decided not to go to that uni, you can choose not to pay and they will remove ur name from the list. simple isn't it. haha.

yuppie. That's all. email me at [email protected] if you're comfortable.

Take care and best of luck for the upcoming release of results!

CK

jovel
03-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Oh people, this informations helps me so much. Thanks!!! :) (http://www.diseasesarchive.com)

username.2
04-19-2008, 04:07 PM
just to add on CK's reply....about having a commercial farm on site at university... it gives you opportunity to be in constant contact with farm animals over the 5 years (esp singaporeans who never even touched a pig or cow or sheep or....)-- so you gain confidence with handling them. in my opinion, that's one huge advantage as well.
________
TTR230 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_TTR230)

solunablade
04-27-2008, 04:49 PM
hey ckloh i'm also currently in NS too...was waiting for my AVA scholarship to reply but i think can forget it....just wondering if u're getting any financial aid thru grants or scholarships? since AVA is the only org. that offers this scholarship in vet sci, i was thinking of getting a PR there then see if there's any possible scholarships there then....

and actually i havent been to any job attachments to vet clinics or similar exp, so i feel i'm alittle shorthanded in my "personal statement". my job attachments are more bio-research stuff...so...yea.

any idea when's the next idp event? i need to ask them more about whether i still need the pre-vet year and other stuff....thanks

heng
04-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Hey just to point out, A-star used to offer scholarships for vet science too, though i'm not too sure if they still do. Also, getting a PR takes a few years and from my knowledge there are very few scholarships availiable for vet science, much like the situation with medicine scholarship. It's possible to work hard during the course, do extremely well, and be awarded a scholarship by the uni based on your exam scores.(least that is what my uni does)

If you need to know more about pre-vet year, all I can say so far is that it is mostly A-lvl sciences stuff,(in melbourne uni that is) and it can be pretty boring for those who have done them before, but slightly tougher for those who didn't do them before. The pace in uni is pretty quick so you got to be pretty vigilant when it comes to studies. Don't leave everything till a week before the exams to start studying. But most students from singapore do just fine considering how we survived the competitive nature of our education system.

A senior of mine pointed out that doing attachments at vet clinics does give you some advantage over others especially at the beginning of clinical years, so it would be advisable to give it a try. You will probably meet other vet students n vets which you can direct any other doubts you have to.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

username.2
05-01-2008, 11:02 PM
hi...

you can try A-star scholarship if you're interested in laboratory veterinary medicine. there was an A-star scholar at Murdoch University, who graduated just last year. And if you're interested in large animals/ regulatory work than AVA scholarship. If you haven't made up your mind which field of veterinary medicine you want to be involved (or you want to do small animals, or clinical site of veterinary medicine and surgery)... then i am afraid, to my knowledge, no such scholarship exists in Singapore.

don't rely on getting scholarships from vet medical faculty overseas as a foreign student. I haven't known anyone getting a scholarship that way before. the scholarships if any, are for extra research honors year (which is additional year of study out of the usual veterinary vet curriculum). Further, being a PR before starting vet school doesn't exempt you from full fee paying in Australia. the next option is to get a sponsership from AVA once you are in vet school (but it means you must already be aware of the type of job you will do after you graduate, cos there is a bond).

at least at Murdoch University, if you have no prior animal experience, there's no way you will clear the "3 category test" admission selection. even if you pass the first 2 category, you wouldn't pass the animal experience category. so stellar grades alone doesn't guarantee a place at Murdoch vet school. It is crucial that you know what being a vet entails. it is a calling, and full of hardwork. it is definitely not glamorous. you work with cattle and horses that defecate anytime they like (even on you). you have to be healthy and be prepared to climb fences (sometimes to escape from attacking bulls) can be a part of large animal vet consultancy/ practice. sick dogs and geriatric dogs... and ferocious cats are not CUTE...the list goes on. but yes, there's the opportunity to handle a whole list of animals, from petting a giraffe to anesthetising snakes to examining lions to doing anatomical pathology on dolphins.... and those puppies and .... the list goes on too! =D And often, you are globally mobile-- you can work anywhere.

Further, be prepared to learn dentistry (yes, you have to do it!), surgery (yes! if you graduate from a recognised vet school, you are immediately a surgeon and is qualified to apply for membership to the royal collage of vet surgeon without need for further exams), anesthesia (this is routine), radiology (including CT and scintigraphy...safety....), opthomology, farm consultancy, animal behaviour.... and the list goes on. you have a whole list of different animal physiology and anatomy to memorise. then the list of different drug allergies with different animals to remember... including different anaesthesia drugs and dose rate for different induction for different species, even breed differentiation, etc.... so it is crucial you know what you're getting yourself into.

for the amount of things you have to know and have to do in practise, the salary is not attractive.

good luck! feel free to contact me if you need more details. i'll attempt to reply.
________
universal health (http://uhwh.com)

solunablade
05-27-2008, 03:25 PM
hmm icic...sounds challenging but interesting nevertheless. what i worry more is the financial support i have to endure thru this course...For A*star i would need to do SAT which i didnt so i guess that limits me to only AVA. Plus i think i'm looking at something not too related to research....

i was thinking if there's any attachment available so i can get a better feel at what i would be doing...end up i came back to this forum. is calling to various vet clinics the only way to check out if they accept interns? :confused:

username.2
05-30-2008, 09:31 AM
you have to check with A-star for their requirements; that is, if you like laboratory animal veterinary medicine. if you're getting an AVA scholarship, you will be dealing with large animals and regulatory work; that is, NO small animal medicine.

It is called volunteer work, not "intern".

you can sure call vet clinics (but remember if you're going for an AVA scholarship, small animal medicine is not what you will do when you graduate). If you like zoo medicine, there is the Singapore zoo. the possibilities are limited by your imagination and your resourcefulness. the best thing you can do is volunteer at a few places and in different capacities/ fields, and get a feel if you really do want to be in this industry. clicking animal contact time is essential for application to some vet school (eg. Murdoch University)
________
Honda Z50M (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_Z50M)

MsVetStudent
06-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi all, just thought I clear up some things about vet school! First of all, its really silly to think that the entry requirements say anything about the university you're applying to - there are a lot of factors you have to consider.

There is definitely no 'best' uni for vet science, though many Singaporeans would probably say Murdoch. This is because there is a huge number of Singaporeans studying at Murdoch. This is not to say that Murdoch isn't good though; it's got accreditation and a very conveniently located farm on campus, and from what I hear, an excellent reputation too, though more specifically for vet science rather than other faculties.

Sydney and Melbourne are excellent universities too, with what I think are the best international reputations around in the country, and out of all the 7 vet schools in Australia. You definitely have a smaller intake of students in each compared to Murdoch, and you'll have the benefit of a big city living, a school that's very balanced in other faculty reputations, and of course, these are the best unis in the country. They have excellent vet facilities and are the two oldest vet schools in the country.

Queensland is the last australian vet school that's open for internationals to apply for - you can practise in singapore after you graduate from UQ, but UQ doesn't have AVMA accredition unlike the other two - that's something you may want to consider if you wanted to take your vet career overseas.

THat said, I think the entry requirements and application process also need some clarification. There are more vet schools in some states than in others - this will be adjusted and reflected by the entry requirements and of the demand of students that apply every year. Dont forget also that international places are very limited - there is quota they have to meet!

Lastly, I think I'll just add - Vet school is something you'll want to consider very carefully. Observing a vet clinic for two weeks is something, but pursuing a degree as a vet is wholly very demanding. It is definitely not easy, it is a expensive investment (scholarship bonds are also very long, which you should think twice about - you really may regret not keeping your options open, especially when you see many other veterinary experience opportunities overseas), and expect long hours at school. Also expect to be dealing with very difficult animals, most of whom are sick, dirty and sometimes just....uncompliant and aggressive.

From what I know, there are high dropout rates in my degree, because many people will decide this is not the job for them, or because they've failed to meet requirements to promote. Think carefully, but also know that with the challange lies an extremely fulfilling career!

MsVetStudent
06-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi riane,

wah! so many questions. no worries, I'll answer them.

First of all, I applied to Murdoch, Queensland and Sydney. I'm aiming for Murdoch. The application procedure was pretty simple..I actually took the application form at suntec where they had an exhibition every year for studying overseas. you should keep a lookout in the newspaper for such exhibitions, there's one on Murdoch Uni today and tomorrow at suntec! (1st Mar & 2nd Mar). It was a pretty long application form so I completed at home and then I went to the agency (Aus-Ed) to submit, together with my O lvl and A lvl results and all the relevant docs. Normally they will send the forms over before end of May. If you need any help, you can contact me as I know the agent quite well (for at least 3 years already!) Application processes are very similar throughout unis abroad.

Now onto the next qn. In fact, Murdoch Uni is the best Uni in Australia for Vet Science. It requires at least a AAB for A lvls. It has good reputation and more importantly, it is the only uni to have the farm in its own campus! well, for me, I think it'll save alot of travelling time and transport costs ;) As the last 2 years it's be alot on clinical and hands on work, so it is relevant to have the farm in the campus instead of having one in the outskirts of the city.

Ok, here's how the course works for different uni. Queensland requires students to do a pre-vet year such that it will be a requirement to be admitted into the second year. For murdoch, sydney and melbourne, they all teaches Bio on the 1st year, pretty much like A lvl Bio. It's a foundation for all. There's no uni I'd reccommend if you're venturing into wildlife veterinary cos I'm also heading towards wildlife vet life after I'm done with a few years of urban clinical practices.

Regarding applying for a bio course in NTU/NUS, I don't think it'll be necessary. Cos the duration of vet sci itself is already 5 years, I don't think it'll be practical to go for another 3-4 year bio course locally. Yup, you can speak to the agents at display booths when they come! (I'll leave my email address so you can email me directly, or even you can also send your hp no. to me in the email so I can sms you to let you know about the exhibitions coming up and you can plan for it.)

Alright, lastly. Once you send ur application to australia, normally the uni will go thru a few phases to approve ur application. For Murdoch it's 4 phases in a year, meaning they will eg. select 8 students in Mar, another 8 in June, 8 in Sept and 8 in Dec. Those who did not get selected in the 1st phase will be pushed to the next phase and so on. So if they reply you that they have selected you, you'd have to pay the 1st year tution fee in order to confirm ur place. If you decided not to go to that uni, you can choose not to pay and they will remove ur name from the list. simple isn't it. haha.

yuppie. That's all. email me at [email protected] if you're comfortable.

Take care and best of luck for the upcoming release of results!

CK

Hi Ck

just thought i'd clarify some things.

the entry requirements of each uni remains very open. AAB is a minimum and i know for a fact that one probably would need at least that - but it doesn't give a guarantee that you'll get in. on the other hand, it doesn't mean that you won't either - everything depends on the quota of your uni, and demand for vet places - these are very transient and change often. I don't hink I could put a definite answer to WHAT exactly the requirements are, but as a good guide, you'd probably need to aim to do well in your exams. For Sydney and Melbourne locals, you generally need to be the best 1% in your HSC/VCE exams to qualify, which I hope is a helpful indication!

As for what you study in your first year - it all depends on different unis once again. Melbourne has recently adopted the Melbourne model, which hopeful applicants should probably go check out. Its an interesting idea which has raised much creative debate in Australia as to how university curriculum should be structured. There are possible transfer options I'm aware of, for Murdoch students. This includes transfers from Biomedical Science - though once again, this is also fairly new. Sydney I'm quite sure, covers quite a lot of material like Anatomy and husbandry in the first year alone - so its definitely not just a foundation.

Another thing that has to be considered is the degree length - although it is a five year course in Melb for example, is it four years for postgraduates. Or Sydney's fifth year for example, is actually lecture-free and consists of rotations, the flexibility of which can actually be completed overseas.

kochels
06-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Hi, i am sitting for O lvls this year and i am still indecisive whether to be a vet or not. I have heard that a degree in veterinary med is actually expensive so i will like to know how much is the school fee. Besides that, may i know if it's ok to go poly instead of jc to take up a vet degree? What's the salary of a vet like?

Thanks.

heng
06-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Hi kochels,

school fees for Australian universities are around 35000-40000 AUD per year, excluding living costs. Living costs differ from city to city and could range from 10000-20000 AUD depending on the type of accommodation and living style.

I would say it is easier and faster to go through JC in order to study vet science. For the vet course offered by Temasek poly, it is a diploma course, which means you can only practise as a vet nurse upon graduation. The course does not train you to be a veterinarian, and you cannot register as a veterinarian with a diploma. The only way to become a veterinarian is to get a degree in vet science from a university recognised by the AVA. The easiest way to get accepted into vet school is by doing A-levels. I’m not too sure what the new A-level system is like, but under the old A-level system 3As including chemistry and one other science is good enough to be accepted into some universities like Melbourne and Sydney.

From what I’ve heard from seniors and vets, the salary isn’t very high. Some people say it is not worth the pay. If you want to do vet, you should be more in it because it is your passion. It is not an easy course with long hours and tough curriculum. But if you really love animals at the end of the day it will be worth it.

kochels
06-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Ok thanks a lot for your information.:) How about universities in NZ or even Japan? I realised that there are veterinary schools in Japan but i am not sure if they accept foreign students. Pardon me for my ignorance.

MsVetStudent
06-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Ok thanks a lot for your information.:) How about universities in NZ or even Japan? I realised that there are veterinary schools in Japan but i am not sure if they accept foreign students. Pardon me for my ignorance.

Hi kochels. there is only one vet school in NZ and that's Massey. I don't think it's that easy to get into either, but I guess its worth a shot. Japanese vet schools are good too, though you'd probably have to be prepared to study everything in Japanese, and you'd have to check the accreditation to know if you can return back home (or go overseas) to work upon graduation. Most of this info can be found online.

heng
06-09-2008, 07:25 PM
I've posted this link before, but if you need more information, go to this page on the Singapore Veterinary Association's website. It gives you alot of important information on becoming a vet.

http://www.sva.org.sg/en/career.php

Also, do your own research. The internet is full of useful information on being a vet. Go to the universities websites to look at their entry requirements and costs fees.

kochels
06-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Ok thanks a lot. :)

username.2
06-11-2008, 11:30 AM
MSvetstudent,

i think you are mistaken about intake of singaporean students in the various universities. infact, murdoch university has the least number of singaporean student intake compared with melb and sydney uni, and the least number of intake into vet faculty (i.e. after 1st year prevet).

cheers!
________
Yamaha XVS650 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_XVS650)

username.2
06-11-2008, 11:36 AM
in term of international reputation for vet schools-- i would generally look at where the scholars study at (A-star and even AVA). maybe that's a gauge. goodluck!
________
vapir air one (http://vaporizers.net/vapir-air-one)

posterior
07-30-2008, 06:39 PM
hey. thanks for the very valuable information about vet courses. I wanted to be a vet but i didnt know that there are different kind of vets catering for different groups of animals. all along i thought that vets are supposed to treat all animals. I am currently in J2 and i have not take my a levels yet. I take physics, econs, chemistry, and maths. My family is not very rich and i have many other siblings. It would be impossible for my family to be able to support my studies overseas. What should people like me do? I am thinking of applying for SAF scholarship in the army and hopefully get an oversea one but i am unsure if the army would allow me to take up a vet course. Besides the long bond years stops me from practicing even if i graduate. how long can you not practice veterinary after you got your degree?

MsVetStudent
07-31-2008, 09:15 PM
hi posterior.

there are different vets for different animals, but most specialisations are done after you achieve a basic veterinary science/medicine degree. you generally are, after completion of your bachelor's degree (if its not done at postgraduate level) competent enough to treat about most animals (dogs, cats, domestic companions, ruminants, horses etc)

its only if you're interested in more exotic species/wildlife or areas like dentistry etc that you pursue furthur studies for these. most vets who own a small practise should be competent enough with a BVsc/ DVM etc.

if you are however, really interested in some animals that aren't usually seen in rural or private practise, you can pursue further studies/research in these areas. like avian medicine, wildlife etc. but like i said, its definitely not something everyone does or has to do out of obligation.

username.2
08-02-2008, 10:16 PM
hey posterior,

yes, you're supposed to learn all animals. from exotics to small animals to large production animals. so, that means you have a very wide range of work opportunities. depending on what type of scholarship you get, you may end up doing post-mortem (anatomical pathology or clinical pathology)... an AVA scholarship generally does not deal with small animal medicine (small animal clinical stuff), but deals with epidemiology, public health, etc. these are all part of domain of vet course as well. you're still a vet after you gain registration with the required registration body for practise (when you are bonded with the government) just that you do not get much opportunities with small animal medicine clinically. you can after your bond, still become a clinician, but it takes effort since most clinical skills might had been forgotten.

i am not sure about SAF overseas merit scholarship if they need Army vets... since there's already a full time vet surgeon with SAF currently. no harm enquiring. all the best!
________
Ducati Sport 750 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Ducati_Sport_750)

username.2
08-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Hello MsVetStudent and posterior,

I am not sure where you study your vet education. however, most vet schools would have taught bird medicine and exotics, and fish medicine, as part of their clinical years studies. they may not be as detailed as small animal and large animal medicine though.

and a DVM from the USA is actually a post-graduate school, but not a post-graduate from say thailand or malaysia (but these schools are only recognised for registreation at the country of study, unless they pass the exams for registration from the various boards of say UK vet surgeon board membership.

there are many specialisations-- from opthalmology to dermatology to anaesthesia to pig medicine or dentistry (like you mentioned)... these, you usually have to do internship or residency and then sit for your membership, followed by your fellowship/ diplomate. they all depend on where (the country) you want to register your specialisation with. but foremost, in order to clear your basic qualification (professional doctorate, no matter if it is post-graduate or not)-- you would have to study small animals, large animals, exotics, fish, wildlife..... if you are from a reputable vet school.

however, after the first basic qualification, most vets have special interest in one particular group of animals (or a few)... and thus become more interested in them, and become better with them-- with or without specialisation.

hope this helps
________
how to roll a joint (http://howtorollajoint.net)

MsVetStudent
08-03-2008, 10:17 AM
h username.2

of course we study avian medicine and aquaculture. but i hardly think its enough if you really want to have an interest as an avian vet etc.

username.2
08-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi MsVetStudent,

depending on where you study, i am sure there are always provisions for formal special topic study for area of particular interests through the career as a student working towards that first vet registration requirement/qualification; the fact is not everyone is interested in say fish medicine or chicken production medicine. the important foundations should have been taught, though. accreditation requirements of various boards determine the focus of vet education programme (UK board has different focus from the US board for example), so if a particular vet school wants to be accreditated, they tend to focus their efforts to meet those requirements (so if they want accreditation from both, the school will focus on how to get those accreditation/s). further, most principles in medicine are transferable (even some vet medicine principles are transfered from human medicine, except that they are modified for particular percularities of that specific genus or even specific breeds... Homo sapiens are infact, mammals).
________
volcano vaporizer digital (http://vaporizers.net/volcano-vaporizer)

MsVetStudent
10-21-2008, 07:49 PM
MSvetstudent,

i think you are mistaken about intake of singaporean students in the various universities. infact, murdoch university has the least number of singaporean student intake compared with melb and sydney uni, and the least number of intake into vet faculty (i.e. after 1st year prevet).

cheers!

Hmm, well would you know the actual numbers? It would be interesting to compare where most singaporeans are scattered around.

username.2
10-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Hmm, well would you know the actual numbers? It would be interesting to compare where most singaporeans are scattered around.

MsVetStudent,

forget to add, there's besides the normal range of western medicine, there's also a complementary medicine special topic taught in final year-- Acupuncture and Traditional chinese vet medicine, including Tui-Na

i've already graduated so can only get a figure from the juniors. it is now a 6 years' course at Murdoch vet school-- that is 1 year prevet, then 5 years vet school. the current year 1 vet singaporean students (after one year prevet) is a max of 5 to 6 currently.

how about at your end?
________
Honda CBR250 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CBR250)

ckloh
10-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Hi,

you mentioned after the prevet year, murdoch has the least no. of singaporean students going into the next 5 yrs vet studies. But in fact, murdoch has very few singaporeans in the prevet year already? am I not right. :)

Hmm so I was just wondering, for those who don't make it to the next 5 yrs (or are there even people dropping out?), what happens to them?

CK.

username.2
10-27-2008, 07:56 PM
well, there are students who are already quarantee a place into the 5 years vet school after the prevet 1 year. there are others who need to compete to get into vet school. those that need to compete and didn't get accepted into vet school would continue and study for a biomed degree. i am not sure about the number of singaporean students accepted into prevet.

in the past when there are no prevet requirements, from biomed to vet school (i was told: 2 successful applicants for transfer to vet school out of 200 biomed students--estimation). but now that they have prevet, i was told for international students, it is now estimated for the next year's intake to be 6 out of 400 prevet students that are successful in their application-- i cannot be sure of the exact number--because these changes depending on the cohort and the number of gauranteed places into vet school, and the total number of international vet students allowed as part of the 80 into the vet school cohort (but it might be less, since some students start in year 2 etc), but my class has more than 50% of international students (some dropped out half way through the course, yes... be prepared, it is not easy)-- usa, canada, singaporean, malaysian, norwagian, swedish, italy, japan, etc... further there are many students who enter direct into vet school with a prior degree, or even post-graduate degree/s (some with professional degree already as well, a few lawyers, and qualified vets from say taiwan or italy, and there is a qualified human doctor too).

there was this time, i think the current year 3 (in 2008), that murdoch vet school decided to take in 120 students (so there were more singaporeans then), but decided that it was a wrong move, and has since the year after, cut back to 80 students to keep the quality of student ratio to teaching staff, and student quality as well.
________
Yamaha YZF1000 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_YZF1000)

ckloh
10-28-2008, 11:01 AM
ah hah. thanks for your reply. I'm actually going to murdoch's prevet in 2009. But you mean not all in prevet are guaranteed a place in the next 5 yrs of vet school? Is it like they have a quota for the no. of students who can enter the 5 yrs of vet school.

for example they took in 80 international students for prevet, and so they should have 80 places (for international students) in the following 5yrs vet school right? But of course those who didn't do well enough in the prevet would be another issue.

MsVetStudent
10-28-2008, 07:10 PM
MsVetStudent,

forget to add, there's besides the normal range of western medicine, there's also a complementary medicine special topic taught in final year-- Acupuncture and Traditional chinese vet medicine, including Tui-Na

i've already graduated so can only get a figure from the juniors. it is now a 6 years' course at Murdoch vet school-- that is 1 year prevet, then 5 years vet school. the current year 1 vet singaporean students (after one year prevet) is a max of 5 to 6 currently.

how about at your end?

We have about four.

MsVetStudent
10-29-2008, 10:54 AM
hey ck,

first of all,thanks for all that info!
and i was kinda set on going to queensland,but i don't take physics:(
only chem,bio,math and h1 geography.
and yup,im currently awaiting results. out of curiosity,which unis did u apply to,and what was the application procedure like?any tips?:)
anyway,for murdoch right, is it true that the admissions scores arent that stringent as compared to the rest,as the first year is a foundation course or biotec/biomed? and if i would like to venture into wildlife veterinary in the future, which of these unis would cater best to that? because from what i've read,most of these unis focus on solely small animal practice and large anima/equine practice.
other than that, would you advise me to go ahead and apply for a local course such as biological sciences in nus or ntu in addition to vet science?
but am i allowed to withdraw from the uni once i get a reply from vet school,or will that just be a waste of money?
ok thats abt all for now!
thanks so much,i really appreciate it!

cheers,
riane

hi riane. i just wanted to add - don't worry too much about the physics. i didn't sit for A level physics and i'm doing fine.

and wildlife is a very competitive field...most people who want to practise in that probably need to get relevant experience in that field or even do a masters/diploma in wild animal health/biology.

hope that helps and best of luck for your As!

chia_zy
11-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Anyone know how to cure dog diahhrea. I need someone to provide a free vet for me, cause I found a dog near my house, if anyone can help I'll get you a red packet for giving info to me, please don't pm me, anything please email me @ [email protected] Thank you.

kochels
11-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi, sorry if this question has been asked before. May I know what is the requirement to apply for a scholarship to study vet med?

Thanks.

shiiiin
11-15-2008, 01:26 PM
hi all
I'm a penultimate student at NTU, school of Biological Sciences. I'm actually considering doing postgraduate vet studies hoping to practise in the future in the Zoo or clinic.

I understand murdoch's accelerated course is 4 years instead of 5 ( still a hefty sum of tuition fees to pay :( ) and the prerequisites are extremely high with 2nd upper honours ( which I hope I can get) and above with experience.

Do you guys have any universities to recommend for me? Do you even suggest I take this path since I have to take up like another 4 years of studies and with scholarships, up to 6 years of bonds?

[email protected]

pls email me or add me to MSN if you are willing to share more! :)

username.2
12-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Hi Shiiiin,

if you do not take a full scholarship from AVA (meaning less than 5/6 years) the bond for sponsorship from AVA from my understanding is 3 years (plse check ava's website).

if you already have a degree, you can opt to study in the USA as well, but application is highly competitive (check with the various schools) and generally more expensive than studying in Australia.

:)
________
growing marijuana (http://growingmedicalmarijuana.org)

username.2
12-12-2008, 06:38 PM
ah hah. thanks for your reply. I'm actually going to murdoch's prevet in 2009. But you mean not all in prevet are guaranteed a place in the next 5 yrs of vet school? Is it like they have a quota for the no. of students who can enter the 5 yrs of vet school.

for example they took in 80 international students for prevet, and so they should have 80 places (for international students) in the following 5yrs vet school right? But of course those who didn't do well enough in the prevet would be another issue.

from my understanding, unless your acceptance letter states you are guaranteed a place in vet school after your pre-vet year, you generally have to compete for limited places at murdoch vet school. my understanding is that-- 80 international prevet students does not equate to 80 places available.

you should call murdoch university directly to check with them on your conditional/unconditional offer.
________
marijuana pictures (http://trichomes.org)

txru
12-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Hi, I have received a conditional offer for vet from university of glasgow. funding is quite a problem for me and I was wondering if there are any sources of funds other than bonded scholarships. thanks! apparently most international scholarships don't apply to medicine. thanks!

Kimmy
01-19-2009, 04:52 AM
hi !
I am so happy for find this useful forum here , :)
Can i ask one question related to vet work in Singapore ?

What kind of vet requirement will be asked if foreigner want to work @ Singapore as a vet ??

Is there any vet school @ Singapore ?Or Is AVA recognized vet degree also recognized in Singapore ??
I just graduate from university @ Taiwan , but i also plan to go Australia in Univ. of Melb in 2009

All i want to know is how to find vet job in Singapore ?
Need vet license ? or get vet license in other countries ? Which countries ? States ? UK? Australia ?

I definitely need this information , but i cant find answer by myself ..
Does anyone know about it ?

thx , and wish a happy 2009 to all of you !

yanshuo
01-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Hi Kimmy,

May I direct you to the page for vet careers on AVA's website:

http://www.ava.gov.sg/AnimalsPetSector/VeterinariansAndVeterinaryCentres/VeterinaryCareerAndEducation/

From the site, the recognised universities are:

• Australia
o Murdoch University (link to http://www.vetbiomed.murdoch.edu.au/)
o University of Melbourne (link to http://www.vet.unimelb.edu.au/)
o University of Queensland (link to http://www.uq.edu.au/vetschool/)
o University of Sydney (link to http://www.vetsci.usyd.edu.au/)
• New Zealand
o Massey University (link to http://vet-school.massey.ac.nz/)
• United Kingdom / Ireland
o Royal Veterinary College, London (link to http://www.rvc.ac.uk/)
o University of Bristol (link to www.vetschool.bris.ac.uk)
o University of Cambridge (link to http://www.vet.cam.ac.uk/)
o University of Edinburgh, Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies (link to http://www.vet.ed.ac.uk/)
o University of Glasgow (link to http://www.gla.ac.uk/Acad/FacVet/)
o University of Liverpool (link to http://pcwww.liv.ac.uk/vets/vethome.html)

• Canada
o University of Guelph, Ontario Veterinary College (link to http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/)
o University of Prince Edward Island, Atlantic Veterinary College (link to http://www.upei.ca/~avc/)
o University of Saskatchewan Western College of Veterinary Medicine (link to http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/)

• United States
o For a full list of American veterinary colleges, click here (link to http://netvet.wustl.edu/vsusacan.htm)

Hope this helps.

Kimmy
01-19-2009, 04:18 PM
dear yanshuo !!!
thanks for your detail reply !!!!!
It helps me a lot !!!

:)

00:04
05-04-2009, 12:17 AM
though i may not be taking veterinary science as a major in uni, i would love to have a first hand interaction with animals as a volunteer. i'm wondering if there is any recommendations for any vet clinics or organizations that may be willing to take in this inexperienced volunteer wannabe? :) n since i'm working, am afraid i can only volunteer approximately once a week. is it still possible to volunteer then?
thx!

dawn
05-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Hello. I just wanted to ask about supporting documents used in the application, espescially to Murdoch. Do things like testimonials or referral letters need to be sealed when they reached the uni? From what i know (which may not be correct), some unis in the UK requires testimonials to be sealed by, for example, the teacher who writes it in school, such that the student does not get to read what is written. Is that confusing? I hope you understand though. =( and is experience working with large animals, like monkeys, sealions, considered relevant experience? Its not a clinical experience though.

Also, is there an exam or sorts that can be taken to be a recognised vet if the vet sci degree that someone is currently holding is not recognised in many parts of the world? I've got a friend whos from phillippines and studied vet science there. But his degree is not recognised in many many countries, so is there an exam or sorts that we could take? like from the royal college or something to be a recognised vet?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies my whole lot of questions! =)

ckloh
05-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Hi Dawn,

testimonials and documents need not be sealed by any one, you can send them over directly to murdoch or via an agency will just do fine. Yup, any experience with any animals are good, doesn't have to be clinical work.

Regarding the vet degree, I'm not too sure but i guess you have to check with the country's AVA (the country that your friend wants to work in) with regards to any administration to get the degree recognized. :)

- CK

Banehallow
06-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Personally I am of the opinion that vet salary isnt high but nor is it low, it pays the bill and you certainly wont starve with a vet degree. Based on a lecture I attended on veterinarian pay, it seems that Australian Veterinary Association pay award starts at $38,000 AUD for a fresh grad. Which may not seem like alot but considering this is just the bare minimum. Many of the veterinary journals generally offer $45,000 as a minimum and the highest I have seen is $60,000 for fresh grad

After 2-4 years of work your pay will fall into another bracket, but I dont remember the exact detail. All I remembered from the lecture was that minimum is $38,000 and after 4-6 years it climbs to $55,000. If you work 4-6 years as a vet, your rank will be that of a senior vet and quite frankly most senior vets I know earn at least above $90,000 with the sky being the limit...

Also depends on the country you work in, UK and America being the highest paid for vets. Personally I wont want to work in America because they have alot of requirements like the NAVLE exams which I hear is quite taxing. UK vets earn more because of the exchange rate is favourable, a fresh grad can earn close to $100k based on the exchange rate.

Also many specialties to choose from, some earn alot, some earn a pittance. If money is what you need then avoid bovine medicine at all cost...

angelz90
07-19-2009, 09:08 PM
banehallow

Does the amount you mentioned deducted the tax in australia? I heard that tax paying in australia is very high. So what will be the actual money we get for our salary? :)

Banehallow
07-20-2009, 08:22 AM
banehallow

Does the amount you mentioned deducted the tax in australia? I heard that tax paying in australia is very high. So what will be the actual money we get for our salary? :)

Tax is australia is dependent on income bracket. Say if you earn above 35000 pa you pay like 4350 plus 30c for every additional $1 over 35000.

if u want to earn heaps then go UK or america loh...

angelz90
07-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Tax is australia is dependent on income bracket. Say if you earn above 35000 pa you pay like 4350 plus 30c for every additional $1 over 35000.

if u want to earn heaps then go UK or america loh...

thanks. was just curious about the tax. :)

vintagetennis
09-09-2009, 02:51 PM
hi, scouting for future fellow coursemates! :) i'm heading off to the university of sydney to study vet science next year (march 2010). is there anyone else going as well?

posterior
04-13-2010, 09:13 PM
hey to all. I would like to find out in what ways is murdoch university vet science in australia better than the other unis? other than having their own farm? is there a difference in the things they teach or the way the lessons are structured?

retsmah
05-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Apparently all the UK vet schools approved by AVA require "A" level bio grade A and GCSE (singapore equivalent would be the o levels?) bio grade A as well...
so if I don't/didn't take bio at "O" or "A" level all the UK universities would be out of question?
(my subject combi is H2 physics, chem, maths and econs)

The confusing part is that...
Bristol University offers this 6 year course thingy which includes an extra "pre-vet" year for those who don't qualify for the normal 5 year course.
Subject requirements are AAB (excluding chem and bio) at A level and something like AAABB (excluding chem and bio) at GCSEs. What does the "excluding chem and bio" part mean? Does it mean that "chem and bio is not required" or "chem and bio is required but you don't have to get A or B"?

And, what is the ucas application deadline for the 6 year pre-vet course at bristol? On one site it said 15 oct 2010 for entry in 2011 and on another site it said 15 jan 2011 because the 6 year course is excluded from the early application deadline. =X

Sorry for the many questions, I'm thinking of emailing the admissions person but if you guys could answer them that would be great :D

Banehallow
05-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Just go Australia ...its cheaper, nearer and less hassle...

Pan89
06-01-2010, 10:36 AM
I think I can answer some of these. Hope it helps.

Apparently all the UK vet schools approved by AVA require "A" level bio grade A and GCSE (singapore equivalent would be the o levels?) bio grade A as well...
so if I don't/didn't take bio at "O" or "A" level all the UK universities would be out of question?
(my subject combi is H2 physics, chem, maths and econs)

Yes, except for Cambridge University. You MAY take H2 Biology as a private candidate (but you must get an A) if you wish to apply for other UK vet schools.

The confusing part is that...
Bristol University offers this 6 year course thingy which includes an extra "pre-vet" year for those who don't qualify for the normal 5 year course.
Subject requirements are AAB (excluding chem and bio) at A level and something like AAABB (excluding chem and bio) at GCSEs. What does the "excluding chem and bio" part mean? Does it mean that "chem and bio is not required" or "chem and bio is required but you don't have to get A or B"?

This 6-year course is only for local students. The 'pre-vet year' actually prepares them for the normal 5-year course, thus they are not required to have taken chem or/and bio (subject requirement). However they are required to have attained the mentioned grades.

qwe
09-03-2010, 05:45 PM
hi, can i ask u about work experience for applying to murdoch?
How do u go about finding vet-related work experience, which is a requirement for murdoch. will volunteering at an animal clinic suffice?

Pan89
09-04-2010, 12:19 AM
hi, can i ask u about work experience for applying to murdoch?
How do u go about finding vet-related work experience, which is a requirement for murdoch. will volunteering at an animal clinic suffice?

maybe u can try applying for internships at 2 or more different veterinary environments? it'd be good exposure lah. pets clinic is definitely a must. can try zoo, farms (goats, crocodiles etc), laboratory etc too. since u are looking at murdoch, farm animals would be more relevant.

fizzyfish
10-14-2010, 04:37 PM
hey there!

i'll be going to usyd in feb 2011 to do vet science. anyone going there too? :)

vintagetennis
10-15-2010, 02:07 PM
hey all...i'm currently finishing up my first year at usyd. yup don't mind taking any questions about vet school in general/usyd :)

sloggyhog
11-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Hi, may I ask what's the least, or decent grade for A levels one should be getting to get into a vet school in Australia?

Thanks!

heng
11-13-2010, 12:55 PM
About AAB is the minimum if my memory serves me correctly. Needs to include maths and chem. Bio is usually not necessary.

ckloh
11-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Hi,

AAB was the min requirement 2-3 years ago. Melbourne uni has turned into a post-grad vet school, murdoch is following up too, not sure about sydney, and queensland. Check their school website!

Choon Kiat

vintagetennis
11-13-2010, 04:38 PM
yeah AAB should get you into vet school, but more importantly you need to have some experience attaching at a clinic. uhm bio is pretty helpful though it's not required, at least for year 1 :)

heng
11-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Yup experience is definately important not only in admission, but also to have in idea of what you are getting into. You don't want to be halfway through the course and realised you've made a wrong choice. That would be alot of money, time and effort wasted.

Melbourne is indeed moving to postgrad which will take 6-7 yrs. Another option is to try Massey uni in NZ. Its vet degree is recognised in singapore too.

You could consider UK but its kinda expensive.

fizzyfish
12-12-2010, 03:16 PM
can someone from usyd tell me if year 1 students need to purchase textbooks for vetsci? heard that they're really expensive over there...

there are some references here: http://sydney.edu.au/vetscience/future_students/undergraduate/2010year1.shtml

seems like lots of them are handbooks which i assume will be provided to us?

also seems like there's a lot of chem and bio in year 1 - A level standard? :S

thanks!

heng
12-15-2010, 12:09 PM
it really depends on your studying preferences. talk to your seniors to get a better idea. my personal opinion is that textbooks provide alot of detail, often more than is required at the current level. I rely heavily on notes which are usually more concise and relavant, but usually still provide loads of info, more than I can possibly remember.

In the odd occasion that I need to know more, I will borrow a textbook from the vet science library, which is well stocked with all the commonly used vet texts. After 2 years I have barely touched any textbooks.

however I'm not too sure if things differ at sydney, cuz I'm at melbourne. Like I said, if you know anyone in the year above you in sydney, it would be wise to ask them.

vintagetennis
12-15-2010, 04:02 PM
@fizzyfish: i've just finished up my first year at sydney, so can help you out with your questions. the texts are expensive, but you don't have to get all of them. most of us get secondhand texts from our seniors at good prices. you're right about the handbooks - lecture material from some topics will be in the handbooks (depends on the lecturer's preferences actually). you do chemistry and cell bio in year 1, and most of it will be what you've learnt before, with some new material.

fizzyfish
12-16-2010, 05:44 PM
ahh thanks a lot guys! really appreciate your responses :) helped to clear some doubts.

tictac
01-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Hi all!
I would like to ask about the course structure for murdoch vet science and melbourne DVM.
I know that Murdoch offers hands on with farm animals from 1st year (after prevet) but how about Melbourne DVM?
thx for helping!

butterflycries
11-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Hi, anyone has any idea what studying Zoology or Vet Science will be like? And what are the possible career opportunities for these 2 courses? I don't know which one I would like to take in the future.

And also, for Vet Science in Sydney, is it a must for Physics ? Because the requirements state Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics. But I am taking Biology instead of Physics. Yeah. So I need some help

PureFitness
11-27-2011, 08:11 PM
You might want to take a look at this post:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=3119697

Chotiga
12-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Hi. I'm still super new to this Brightsparks forum so I don't know how to post a new thread :(

Anyway, I really need help with this. I'm aspiring to be a veterinarian and I know the best way to pursue it is to go to university overseas. What I'm trying to figure out now is: Should I go to JC, mug for 2 whole years then apply to university (and stand a chance of not getting into Vet Science since it's a hard course) or go to Temasek Poly's Vet Technology course.

TP's Vet Tech course may allow me to have a year exempted from UQ's Vet Science course from what I've read on TP's website.

I really hope you guys can help me out with this. JC or Temasek Poly? :(

qwertie
12-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Hi. I'm still super new to this Brightsparks forum so I don't know how to post a new thread :(

Anyway, I really need help with this. I'm aspiring to be a veterinarian and I know the best way to pursue it is to go to university overseas. What I'm trying to figure out now is: Should I go to JC, mug for 2 whole years then apply to university (and stand a chance of not getting into Vet Science since it's a hard course) or go to Temasek Poly's Vet Technology course.

TP's Vet Tech course may allow me to have a year exempted from UQ's Vet Science course from what I've read on TP's website.

I really hope you guys can help me out with this. JC or Temasek Poly? :(

As far as possible, I would advise you not to go the poly route. This is because the JC route opens many more doors than the poly route. With the A Level, you can choose to study practically ANYTHING in the university. Whereas a poly diploma severely limits your scope.

Furthermore, it is easier to apply to a vet science course using your A levels than using poly diploma.

Anyway, you still have at least 2 more years to decide your desired vocation (2 additional years if you are a guy, cos of NS). Should you have a change of heart during these 2 years, at least you have the option of applying to another course (like medicine, heheh). If you do take the vet course at poly, you won't even be a certified vet when you graduate, and who knows whether you can get into the vet course in uni??

I have friends who are aspiring to become vets. One of them is in NS (going to ORD) and has already gotten a place at a UK uni vet course (he applied this year). Btw, he took the jc route.

If you truly want to become a vet, why not volunteer at vet clinics during holidays (like my friend) and then you can get a better impression of what being a vet entails? Then you can decide if being a vet suits you :)

All the best in your (future) studies!

PureFitness
12-07-2011, 03:55 PM

IMO, it is better to go through the JC route because it gives you a much better foundation in the sciences.

The vet science course at TP is still very new, what is their track record of graduates being admitted into vet school in australia? what is the GPA you'll need to be admitted and what is the GPA that you need to get exemptions? It might very well turn out that it is easier to go through the JC route instead of poly.

Chotiga
12-08-2011, 12:10 AM
I have friends who are aspiring to become vets. One of them is in NS (going to ORD) and has already gotten a place at a UK uni vet course (he applied this year). Btw, he took the jc route.

But won't the course fees be really expensive if he's planning on going to a UK uni?

Thanks for your advice by the way :) I guess I'm going to have to mug my way through JC next year. That is if I can even get into one /: Another question. What if my results are really quite lousy that I can only get into the "lousier" JCs, should I still carry on with JC? I'm planning on going to Temasek JC. If my results can't make it, then Meridian JC. If still cannot, then Tampines JC. But I heard that Meridian JC is making the students really stressed /:

Thanks!

Chotiga
12-08-2011, 12:13 AM
IMO, it is better to go through the JC route because it gives you a much better foundation in the sciences.

The vet science course at TP is still very new, what is their track record of graduates being admitted into vet school in australia? what is the GPA you'll need to be admitted and what is the GPA that you need to get exemptions? It might very well turn out that it is easier to go through the JC route instead of poly.

There is this girl who got accepted into Vet Science at University of Melbourne. JC is much stressful, though right? I'm worried I might not obtain the required A Level results needed for Vet Science.

PureFitness
12-08-2011, 08:30 AM
There is this girl who got accepted into Vet Science at University of Melbourne.

And what was her GPA? Was she given 1 year exemption?

JC is much stressful, though right? I'm worried I might not obtain the required A Level results needed for Vet Science.

And what makes your think poly is any easier? If you want to get good grades, it'll be stressful regardless of whether you choose poly or JC.

It is equally likely that you won't be able to obtain the required poly results for Vet Science.

pethealth
12-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Hi all!
I would like to ask about the course structure for murdoch vet science and melbourne DVM.
I know that Murdoch offers hands on with farm animals from 1st year (after prevet) but how about Melbourne DVM?
thx for helping!

hi, chanced upon this site.. tot i would share with you future aspiring vets. i'm currently in my final year doing my vet degree in Australia.

With regards to choosing which vet school: there's been a move away from undergrad vet degree in Australia and it is taking place now.. UniMelb has already changed its course structure and is now a post graduate degree.. Sydney Uni vet school is also in the midst changing to post grad.

for sydney uni, i do not think its necessary for you to do physics but i may be wrong, its best to email the faculty and find out more.. i think it is good to find out more via some of the agents based in Singapore, i, myself went thru Hui and Kuah but i'm sure IDP singapore does alot of work with Aussie Uni. For u guys who's interested, i would recommend that you head down and find out about it. doesnt cost u anything except for your time.

there are 4 routes to doing a vet degree
1. go thru JC
2. go thru poly vet tech
3. go thru foundation studies in Australia
4. go do a degree and then do post grad in Vet

alot maybe interested to find out whats the best route and all.. but in my opinion, all these route can lead you to a place in vet school IF you have the passion, drive and determination to churn out good results whichever route you take. so go whichever route you prefer now and put in hard work and effort to achieve the results necessary.

vet school is a great place to learn, challenging, interesting and rewarding.. it has been a wonderful experience and i wish all here the best and good luck in your studies.

wenn14
01-05-2012, 07:16 PM
hi, I'm really interested in taking up a vet course in a uni in either RVC in London or an Australian uni. But from all the posts I've seen here, volunteering at a pet clinic to acquire some experience is a big added advantage when applying for a university right?
can i know some pet clinics (preferably in the east side) that actually allows/wants volunteers to help out? I went to the Mount Pleasant animal clinic at Changi today and asked if they needed any volunteers. But they said no. Help please?

Oh and another question, because I'm a J2 student this year, I'm afraid i might have commitment issues (hence i would really prefer a clinic near my house, i live in changi area, but i don't mind anywhere in the east). But if there is really no clinics that are open for volunteers in the east, is it possible for me to volunteer after my A levels? Would it be too late to volunteer and gain the experience?

Thanks so much!

ThrowA5
04-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Hi, I am taking my o'levels this year and I am wondering which option should I take.... Should I go to JC or take Veterinary Biosceince in Ngee Ann Poly? Majority of the posts here are from ppl who took a'levels so, I wanna know if it is harder to get into a uni via diploma?

pokkaGT
04-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Just answer this simple yes/no question: Are you passionate in the course?

Going to poly restricts the number of courses you can apply in university. Poly students study in great depth in the course. It is not about getting into university. It is about what you want to study in university.

ThrowA5
04-08-2013, 06:27 PM
pokkaGT: Thanks for replying :D Being a vet has been my lifelong ambition and I know that the fees for the uni course are very expensive as it is not offered in SG. Well, I am hoping to obtain a scholarship... so is it true that alevel students stand a better chance of getting that? And yup! I AM sure that it is what I want to study in university.

pokkaGT
04-08-2013, 07:41 PM
The only local scholarship that I could find that supports bachelor's in vet science is only open to 'A' level grads. The scholarship is also highly competitive and have no lack straight A's students.

A slight disadvantage for going to poly is that only one Australian university (Murdoch) grants a year of exemption for it's vet course. Don't shut down poly completely because of money issues. This is as close as you can get to studying vet (for now).

Either path, it is not easy and there is considerable risk. If your mind really wants it, you will find a way.

[Link]: http://www.ava.gov.sg/Careers/Scholarships/

ThrowA5
04-09-2013, 09:57 PM
@ pokkaGT: Well, I figured that I would try out DPA first, and let everything else run its own course *shrugs* Still am torn between poly and jc though... but thanks for the info!!!! and in SG, money is sorta a big issue :(

roxylexi
09-10-2013, 12:12 AM
Hi there! What are the odds of getting into a vet course with a diploma? I'm in my 3rd year of poly right now and my current GPA is 3.5 I haven been doing lots of research and asking around and I've got all sorts of answers from "3.3-3.5 GPA is good enough to get in" to " a very slim chance of getting in directly" I know that there are other alternative pathways to becoming a vet (Bachelor of Science(Animal Science/Vet Tech etc. --> Doctorate/Postgrad in Vet Science) but of course I would prefer to get straight to it. I'm not so worried about the work experience part since i managed to get an internship placement at a vet clinic. So any vet students out there that got in with their GPA and not A levels? Especially those with non-vet diplomas? Would you mind sharing your grades if possible?

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out here! Thank you!

Junlercius
12-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Hello,

I studied accounting in polytechnic but I am interested in a career in veterinary medicine. I am considering either to study vet science in TP/NP, study A level as a private candidate or to study an offshore biomedical degree awarded by UWA and then do a post graduate programme, may I know which is a more viable option? Thanks for reading.

Pan89
12-13-2013, 12:24 AM
i think the last option is the surest way of getting into vet school.

samuelstark2
11-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Yes veterinary is also categorized in medical university.And there are lots of best university in America and Australia

1. SGU School of Veterinary Medicine
2.University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna
3.Charles Sturt University

For more information Visit:
American Global University School of Medicine - AGUSM (http://agusmbelize.wordpress.com/2014/10/03/top-caribbean-medical-school-agusm/)