PDA

View Full Version : Universities in Vancouver, Canada?

DaReadG
03-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Hi,

does anyone here have any info on studying in Vancouver or in Canada in genral? I'm pretty interested as I have relatives living there. Standard info like the school fees, cost of living etc will be appreciated.

Also info on the individual Unis. From what I've researched there's UVic and UBC. UBC has quite a high ranking on some studies I've seen. I'm interested in doing econs/finance/biz along those lines. Can anyone help me?

groovy_newborn
03-25-2010, 03:30 AM
well if you have not applied to ubc, follow this link
https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/vancouver/admissions.ezc?pageID=1087

The application deadline for the 2010/11 academic year is February 28, 2010.

well for more infos i guess just sign up
https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/signup.do
and ask for their international viewbook

tuition fee
https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/vancouver/adding.ezc
basically just browse their website, but yes if you're talking bout Vancouver then ubc is the best

but unless you're talking about applying next year deadline has passed

DaReadG
03-31-2010, 07:37 PM
Anyone knows how Canada compares to Australia in terms of sch fees and cost of living? Seems to me like COL is the same. Anyone know?

slim9
03-31-2010, 07:48 PM
hey (: I lived in Canada before so i think i can advice you on this topic! In Vancouver itself, there's Simon Fraser University or University of British Columbia. UBC is more well-known compared to SFU / UVic and its known amongst Canadians that people who cannot make it into UBC wait/ study for 1-2 years at UVic or SFU just to transfer to UBC! Why limit yourself to Vancouver though, it feels like Singapore... to be honest. Just that the weather is alot nicer!

DaReadG
03-31-2010, 08:50 PM
Wow bro fast reply. Which part of Canada did you live in btw? Frankly I'm most keen on Canada because I have relatives in Victoria and Vancouver mainland. I spent about 2 months there in 2002 and it was the most enjoyable holiday of my life.

I've been to France, Italy, England, Switzerland and Australia (albeit when i was very young) and nothing quite measures up to the time I had in Canada. Though to be fair I lived a 'citizen's life' by staying with my relatives and not one of a tourist, so I dunno how to compare. Of course english speaking is a ++

Though I'm looking into an Economics program. And alot of people say Mcgill is better than UBC for that. You have any suggestion on places? Anyway even if Canada is similar to Singapore (I take that as a hint for boring :p) its pretty damn close to the west coast of USA, which I would definitely like to visit.

slim9
04-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Hey, I lived in the beautiful province of Alberta (where Brokeback Mountain was filmed LOL). Anyway, I feel that UBC's Sauder's school of commerce is pretty well known too. If I were you, I'd choose UBC over McGill because there's several issues that I know that bugs students from those universities.

From what I know, McGill is actually a difficult university to live. They don't have easily accessible first year residence. I know of a friend who has to work a job to upkeep living there. (there is also the chance that she was just unlucky, but you know). thing to consider: do you want to live in a city where they speak FRENCH? By the way, take note that Canadian French is slightly different from French French that we will learn in Singapore from Alliance Francaise.

As for UBC - UBC is guaranteed residence in first year, and Vancouver may be nice, but it's an expensive city to live in. Something about UBC residence is that regardless of the guarantee of first year residence, after that, if you want to get back in it is a complete lottery system. Not the best... Course, I guess you could move out.

I hope that playing the devil's advocate can help you... since you basically know most of the 'good stuff' about those universities. Its time to hear the stuff and information that I receive from my Canadian friends.

I got accepted into UBC, McGill and Toronto! Haven't decided which one yet, but I've somewhat dropped McGill from the list because its the most expensive amongst the three. But McGill is reputed for a tradition of academic excellence, I know of American students whose SAT scores (SAT is not needed in McGill for Singaporeans) are above 1900/2000+ on average before they get accepted into McGill which is somewhat almost an Ivy League criteria. Plus if you want to work in North America next time, McGill would be a better option since the 'brand name' sounds good.

As for UBC, its better known in Singapore and Asia because of the proportion of Asian students in the school. However, there's also a reputation of that school as a 'University of a Billion Chinese' which means that the diversity isn't that great and... its known as a dumping ground for rich HK kids (yacht people a.k.a immigrants) but at the same time, UBC is also known as one of the top 3 universities in Canada.

DaReadG
04-02-2010, 12:10 PM
By a "Billion Chinese" what proportion do you mean? U got any stats? And when you say expensive, how does the cost of living compare to singapore (can denote some of the commodities in SGD)? I'm assuming you're there now or visited not long ago right? The last time I was in Vacounver was 2002 :S.

Please, by all means be the devil's advocate cuz that's the most important stuff I need to hear. Thanks!

Oh and btw, what program are you planning on taking up? I wanna economics which is another reason to go to UBC cuz their economics program seems really prestigious. And how much will the school fees be? From UBC's website its about 15k canadian for 1 year right?

dreamlife
05-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Hi, I am currently accepted into Toronto and UBC-Okanagan. Not sure if you have any comments abou the schools as well? Thanks!

slim9
05-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Hi, I am currently accepted into Toronto and UBC-Okanagan. Not sure if you have any comments abou the schools as well? Thanks!

UBC Okanagan isn't UBC Vancouver. UBC Okanagan is rather 'rural' compared to the city campus. As for Toronto, did you get accepted into St George or Scarbouough. There's a difference. St George is the main campus!

ahboy91
05-26-2010, 11:40 AM
I'll be heading to U Toronto St George, Trinity College this fall. Anyone coming here as well? :)

patryn33
06-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Oh and btw, what program are you planning on taking up? I wanna economics which is another reason to go to UBC cuz their economics program seems really prestigious. And how much will the school fees be? From UBC's website its about 15k canadian for 1 year right?

15K??? was that 2009 or 2008 fees?
2010 fees is at a cool CAD$21,118 for 30 credits. taking more credits would naturally increase this number. bear in that exclude housing, books, and student fees. add fees and insurance thats a ~2k more.
https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/vancouver/adding.ezc

So any update on your end? applied to Uni.
UBC is 1 of the more expensive Uni in Canada. thats why many choose colleges as they cost CAD$10K in tuition a yr. thats save them ~CAD$20K in fees.

Yuan=D
07-24-2011, 05:50 PM
I'm just wondering whether UBC is that bad... cos I was really fascinated by its pretty campus. anyways, how's University of Toronto compared to UBC? Is it much more difficult to get into UoT?
Also, may i have a general idea of how good to score to get into those universities?
Thanks=D

boucy
07-24-2011, 09:14 PM
UBC bad? where did you get that notion?
they are one of the better business sch in canada

patryn33
07-25-2011, 06:38 AM
I'm just wondering whether UBC is that bad... cos I was really fascinated by its pretty campus. anyways, how's University of Toronto compared to UBC? Is it much more difficult to get into UoT?
Also, may i have a general idea of how good to score to get into those universities?

why is UBC that bad? U heard it from your pals at NJC?
which program are U seeking?

ahboy91
07-26-2011, 04:04 AM
Is it much more difficult to get into UoT?

Depends on the course you are seeking, the admission stats can vary quite a bit. UofT is the top university in most aspects. I suggest that you crash this fair (https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=139064092843527) to obtain the more accurate, first-hand information.

patryn33
07-26-2011, 05:30 AM
UofT is more renown here.
Math and Comp Sci - Waterloo is better.
Mcgill is like UofT, fairly good overall.

isn't that event held by students?

ahboy91
07-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Yes it is held by students. Who's better to answer your inquiries, than the students attending the respective universities themselves?:)

Waterloo has a good reputation, but only in Canada. It lacks in international ranking, which is one very important factor when deciding to pursue your degree overseas. Queen's university is really good too, but then again it lacks in rankings too.

Your best bang for bucks should be one of the big 3: UBC, Mcgill & UofT.

patryn33
07-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Yes it is held by students. Who's better to answer your inquiries, than the students attending the respective universities themselves?:)

Waterloo has a good reputation, but only in Canada. It lacks in international ranking, which is one very important factor when deciding to pursue your degree overseas. Queen's university is really good too, but then again it lacks in rankings too.

Your best bang for bucks should be one of the big 3: UBC, Mcgill & UofT.

I hope student can give a clear pic of the admission stats.

which International ranking are U referring to?
is ranking that impt? U are working already? when U hire someone U double check ranking?

ahboy91
07-27-2011, 12:53 AM
which International ranking are U referring to?
is ranking that impt? U are working already? when U hire someone U double check ranking?

No, I have not started on my working life, per se, but that does not mean that I am not informed of it. Since you popped the question, I believe you have started working? Care to share how much of the academic knowledge you receive from a university education, will actually be put into use during your working life?

When I say international ranking, I don't literally mean the QS or the THE rankings or any other accredited ones out there, since these rankings vary from year to year and it would be almost impossible for employers to keep up. But the least you should expect from having an international education, is that your university should at least be known by the employers.

To cite an example, Mr. Philip Yeo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Yeo), Chairman of SPRING Singapore and Special Adviser for Economic Development in the Prime Minister's office, has himself received an education from University of Toronto before heading off to pursue higher education in other reputable universities too.

Should you decide to apply for post-graduate studies in prestigious US schools after receiving an education from UBC, Mcgill or UofT, you can be assured that these schools have had a notable reputation.

Yuan=D
07-27-2011, 11:56 AM
why is UBC that bad? U heard it from your pals at NJC?
which program are U seeking?

Umm, I am actually looking at life science or engineering courses... well, i know UBC ranks lower than UofT, but i really don't fancy the weather there in Toronto. so I am actually quite frustrated about whether I should apply to both schools or just apply to UBC.

In addition, my common test result is not that good, so I also want to know how good I should perform for the prelim to be more confident to apply to these schools. Anybody who got offer from these schools don't mind sharing your results?:)

ahboy91
07-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Umm, I am actually looking at life science or engineering courses... well, i know UBC ranks lower than UofT, but i really don't fancy the weather there in Toronto. so I am actually quite frustrated about whether I should apply to both schools or just apply to UBC.

In addition, my common test result is not that good, so I also want to know how good I should perform for the prelim to be more confident to apply to these schools. Anybody who got offer from these schools don't mind sharing your results?:)

Are you intending to pursue a research career or professional degrees such as MD, DDS or PharmD?

Research facilities are top-notch at UofT, due to the massive amounts of funding they have available (more than any Canadian University). Many of the Graduate students, who have done their undergraduate at other universities, can vouch for this. Again, depending on the program you're intending to pursue, each school has its niche. To name a few prominent ones in Life Sciences, Mcgill has a really strong Neuroscience Program and UBC has their renowned Brain Research Center. To allow us to help you, maybe you can further narrow down your choices?

But if you are looking to go into research or undergraduate is the end of your academic career, then an engineering degree will probably be more useful.

For Life Sciences, I think you're looking at around 3Bs? For engineering, it varies widely depending on the program.

trapped
07-28-2011, 08:26 AM
I'm looking at UBC, UofT and maybe McGill for Arts.

Does anyone know what kind of A level grades they are looking at for their Arts?

Crosser
07-29-2011, 11:20 PM
I'll be heading to U Toronto St George, Trinity College this fall. Anyone coming here as well? :)

Which course are you in?
I'm also going to U of T St. George

patryn33
07-30-2011, 06:51 PM

UBC isn't known for their engineering degree.
since U dislike the harsh winter Uni in other province are out.
ppl that do engineering usually head to UT or Mcgill.

if U are thinking of MD, DDS, PharmD in Canada.
do note that some programs at some Uni does not take international students. iirc with MD only UT and UAlberta do.
with DDS the quota allocated to international students is often small.

gamsbuqocj
07-30-2011, 07:23 PM
very nice - thanks :)

cheap hotels hotel collection bedding (http://articlesdepository.com/Art/202854/53/A-New-Kind-Of-Green-Hotels-Green-Displayed-His-Credentials-Within-The-European-Capitals.html) | tripp trapp hotel bedding (http://www.internetvive.com/hanahaburaabura/74044/advertising-marketing-promotion-resort.html)

feliciaamandawijaya
06-21-2016, 11:53 AM
Hi,

does anyone here have any info on studying in Vancouver or in Canada in genral? I'm pretty interested as I have relatives living there. Standard info like the school fees, cost of living etc will be appreciated.

Also info on the individual Unis. From what I've researched there's UVic and UBC. UBC has quite a high ranking on some studies I've seen. I'm interested in doing econs/finance/biz along those lines. Can anyone help me?

Hi DaReadG!

I came across this platform the other day when I was planning for my overseas studies called Flying Chalks. They help international students enhance their overseas studies experience like you can connect with friends that are going to the same university that you are going to and you can also ask for some advice from those who have been to that university :) You can check out their website at www.flyingchalks.com or you can visit their Facebook Page here (https://www.facebook.com/flyingchalks/?fref=ts)!

As far as I know, they have quite a few guides on universities in Canada such as UBC, HEC Montreal, and many more that provide information about accommodation, flights, food outlets, leisure activities, and even comprehensive information about the university and the country you are heading to! Hope this helps!! :D

patryn33
06-22-2016, 12:17 AM
you sign up to make 12 post (copy, paste and digging old threads) about the website.
I sense you are promoting the site. Please kindly refrain from such activity or risk ban. if you learn something on the site, share the details do not continue copy and paste activities.