PDA

View Full Version : freshman guide queries~

lemontea
05-03-2010, 12:32 AM
hi there! there's this section in the freshman guide saying that there will be a verification of documents like passport ic birthcert, education docs etc, an exercise carried out for: 1) international students 2) all students with university results. Doesnt 2) already include all students in the school? :confused: or it means like year 4 graduating students or transfer students from other universities? im a singapore pr so if its for all students i'd have to get my documents mailed to me from back home. is this also conducted yearly? thanks in advance!

marcus
06-02-2010, 03:22 PM
hi there! there's this section in the freshman guide saying that there will be a verification of documents like passport ic birthcert, education docs etc, an exercise carried out for: 1) international students 2) all students with university results. Doesnt 2) already include all students in the school? :confused: or it means like year 4 graduating students or transfer students from other universities? im a singapore pr so if its for all students i'd have to get my documents mailed to me from back home. is this also conducted yearly? thanks in advance!

if you are a freshman... you do not have university results. so i believe u will be classified under a).

pls do check by calling up the school!

lemontea
06-05-2010, 02:33 PM
alright thx for the reply!

adviceplz
06-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi seniors! I got into NUS Chemical Engineering. I'm planning to buy a laptop. Do Engineering courses require laptops?

My brother who was from a poly engineering course had to buy one and it was actually more convenient to buy one from the school's IT fair during their registration period since the sch admin helped the students to install certain school programmes into their laptops on the spot.

So, does such a thing happen during uni registration? Or do students have to buy their laptops on their own [as in from retail outlets]?

Appreciate replies from anyone! :o) Thanks in advance!

Ashearo
06-09-2010, 08:09 PM
There will be a fair for you to buy laptops and etc. They are cheaper than retail prices and come installed with essential programmes. Each freshman is allowed to buy only one. Theres no way you will miss the fair because the news will be everywhere.

adviceplz
06-09-2010, 11:31 PM
There will be a fair for you to buy laptops and etc. They are cheaper than retail prices and come installed with essential programmes. Each freshman is allowed to buy only one. Theres no way you will miss the fair because the news will be everywhere.

Thanks for the quick reply! :) Really appreciate it.:)

Ashearo
06-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! :) Really appreciate it.:)

You are most welcomed. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

silentgiggler
06-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Hi seniors! I got into NUS Chemical Engineering. I'm planning to buy a laptop. Do Engineering courses require laptops?

My brother who was from a poly engineering course had to buy one and it was actually more convenient to buy one from the school's IT fair during their registration period since the sch admin helped the students to install certain school programmes into their laptops on the spot.

So, does such a thing happen during uni registration? Or do students have to buy their laptops on their own [as in from retail outlets]?

Appreciate replies from anyone! :o) Thanks in advance!

Hi, most people in uni have laptops to facilitate lectures since most of the materials are all found online. Some still stick to printing out notes and binding + bringing laptops. the only downside of laptops is that it's quite hard to jot down notes (eps for engineering like math workings etc)

The laptop fair that NUS has only sells limited range of laptops. (S$2000 range). The only plus point i see is the warranty you get for all your years in the uni. As for programs, i dont think there any specific NUS programs installed into the laptops.

For me, i dont think its worth it to spend S$2000 cause you dont really need THAT high range of laptops. (unless you want to do online gaming :P ). I bought mine from those IT fairs for around 1.2k that came with microsoft office, printer and norton. it's perfectly fine for me!

Take the brochures and do some comparison. For uni students i really think we dont need the high end 2k laptops =/ quite unnecessary.

Ashearo
06-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Many people find netbooks more useful because they are lighter to carry around and you can prolly do everything besides running heavy programmes and games. If you do nothing on it besides facebook, msn, excel, word and surf the internet, then a netbook is more than sufficient.

adviceplz
06-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks a lot for all the tips!! Will take the advice into consideration. :)

Anyways, around which month will the IT fair be held? [so that I can keep a look out for the event :)]

rustyfish
06-13-2010, 01:03 PM
adviceplz, the last day of the PC show is today so go down to Suntec today if you can. if not, theres another one in sep... or u can just go round funan, sim lim square cuz they do have roadshows also.. the most important thing now is to know what kind of laptop you want so go do some research..

adviceplz
06-22-2010, 07:18 PM
adviceplz, the last day of the PC show is today so go down to Suntec today if you can. if not, theres another one in sep... or u can just go round funan, sim lim square cuz they do have roadshows also.. the most important thing now is to know what kind of laptop you want so go do some research..

Thanks a lot, rustyfish! :)

Just another question, do I need to pay anything during registration? Or is registration just about filling up forms and a lot of admin stuff? :o

What should I expect during registration?

Thanks in advance! :D

lillian
07-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Hi hi any help please.. For NUS, after accepting the offer online what will be given to student? Like email account, student no etc..

I have sent the acceptance letter to the admin office since my offer is after online acceptance window.

When booking for medical examination and registratioin for QET test, all i got is unable to proceed message.. Could it be that the status is not updated yet? I sent the acceptance letter and form P on 1 July and due date is 5 July.

pauline10
07-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Hi Lilian

you said due date on 5 july,which is it referring to?

lillian
07-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Hi Lilian

you said due date on 5 july,which is it referring to?

Hi pauline. Due date to submit acceptance form and form P.

pauline10
07-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Hi pauline. Due date to submit acceptance form and form P.

Did you get your NUSNet ID & password yet?You know how do we get them?
By email?
btw,are you a poly student?Did you register for QET?

lillian
07-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Did you get your NUSNet ID & password yet?You know how do we get them?
By email?
btw,are you a poly student?Did you register for QET?

Nope i didn't and according to senior i met. They will give that out druing registration date which is from 22 to 27 july.. Yes i did register for QET but online portal did not accept my registration so I dropped them email. Hopefully they will reply by today.

Lurv_1989
07-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Nope i didn't and according to senior i met. They will give that out druing registration date which is from 22 to 27 july.. Yes i did register for QET but online portal did not accept my registration so I dropped them email. Hopefully they will reply by today.

I believe there is a technical glitch in their system earlier, and I received an email from the NUS QET Team mentioning that.

You should be able to register for the QET online now.. :D

boredgenius
07-05-2010, 06:33 PM
how do we get our nusnet id and matric card number? and our timetable... anyone?

thanks in adv. :)

Lurv_1989
07-07-2010, 10:05 PM
how do we get our nusnet id and matric card number? and our timetable... anyone?

thanks in adv. :)

I think we'll get our NUSNET ID and Matriculation Card on the Registeration Day itself.. The dates and times are available in your freshmen guide..

As for the timetable, I'm not so sure.. There's still the CORS Bidding we need to do, so I guess that'll determine our timetable..

Hmm.. Maybe some kind hearted NUS seniors can help with this?? :D

Ashearo
07-08-2010, 07:33 PM
You all get your Matriculation Card on Matriculation Day. All the passwords and etc will come in time, not to worry. You will have everything you need before you start school proper. Timetables differ for different faculties.

boredgenius
07-08-2010, 11:01 PM
You all get your Matriculation Card on Matriculation Day. All the passwords and etc will come in time, not to worry. You will have everything you need before you start school proper. Timetables differ for different faculties.

Oh ok, thank you :)

student123
07-09-2010, 10:44 AM
its okay if we do our medical checkup anytime as long as its before our registration right? or must it be like e.g. 1 or 2 weeks before??

Ashearo
07-09-2010, 05:05 PM
its okay if we do our medical checkup anytime as long as its before our registration right? or must it be like e.g. 1 or 2 weeks before??

I believe there is a deadline before which you must book your medical checkup.

hot_cool_gal123
07-09-2010, 09:01 PM
hey there, im in chem engine too.. hello to everyone joining chem engine! i bought a dell laptop for 950 SGD and its very good. yea i agree with silentgigler unless u are a com eng student or a student from computing, then a laptop for ard 2k is unnecessary. and anyone knows anythg abt the freshman registration..too many instructions to follow...

Lurv_1989
07-10-2010, 08:34 AM
hey there, im in chem engine too.. hello to everyone joining chem engine! i bought a dell laptop for 950 SGD and its very good. yea i agree with silentgigler unless u are a com eng student or a student from computing, then a laptop for ard 2k is unnecessary. and anyone knows anythg abt the freshman registration..too many instructions to follow...

Care to share the specifications of your laptop here? :D

Ashearo
07-10-2010, 08:37 AM

What questions do you have?

rainey
07-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Figured I'd just ask here instead of making a new topic. Is it necessary to go for the medical examination at UHC BEFORE registering as a student? I'm asking this because I booked my medical exam after the time I'm supposed to go for registration. Thanks in advance!

Ashearo
07-12-2010, 12:50 AM
Figured I'd just ask here instead of making a new topic. Is it necessary to go for the medical examination at UHC BEFORE registering as a student? I'm asking this because I booked my medical exam after the time I'm supposed to go for registration. Thanks in advance!

Do you mean registration as in matriculation? If the system allows it then it should not be a problem. There are students with pending cases anyway (like med, dentistry,nursing students who are not immunized against Hep B yet) and hence not exactly cleared medically, but still go ahead and start school.

student123
07-12-2010, 02:07 PM

yea that was what i wanted to know in my Qn above XD by registration i'm guessing u mean the registration period in late july? (22 - 27 july)

rainey
07-12-2010, 11:59 PM
@Ashearo: Thanks for clearing that up!

@student123: Yes, I mean the registration period in late July.

student123
07-19-2010, 12:41 AM
has anyone done it at the UHC? what kind of examinations can i expect? (for a girl)

confusion
07-19-2010, 01:03 AM
has anyone done it at the UHC? what kind of examinations can i expect? (for a girl)

There'll be a normal vision test and then you'll get your blood pressure taken. Then a urine test, where you'll have to pee in a cup, and then a chest x-ray. There's also a physical exam by a doctor, which is pretty quick (for me at least). You just lie on the table and the doc will check you and stuff

Ashearo
07-19-2010, 05:57 AM
There'll be a normal vision test and then you'll get your blood pressure taken. Then a urine test, where you'll have to pee in a cup, and then a chest x-ray. There's also a physical exam by a doctor, which is pretty quick (for me at least). You just lie on the table and the doc will check you and stuff

Also, students that require vaccinations will also be given the appropriate injections.

Please remember to bring cash to pay for your medical checkup. NETS is accepted but who knows if the system will crash again.

student123
07-19-2010, 08:17 AM
okay thanks a lot confusion & Ashearo! :p

mayumi
07-19-2010, 10:35 PM
For the medical checkup, you don't have to wear plain tops as advised on the website -_- All girls had to change to the baggy gown given irregardless of what you wear.. Just remember to wear a top (instead of dress) as it'll be more convenient for the physical checkup. Prob bring some stuff for entertainment as the wait can take quite some time..

Lurv_1989
07-23-2010, 09:40 AM
For the medical checkup, you don't have to wear plain tops as advised on the website -_- All girls had to change to the baggy gown given irregardless of what you wear.. Just remember to wear a top (instead of dress) as it'll be more convenient for the physical checkup. Prob bring some stuff for entertainment as the wait can take quite some time..

Haha.. So only the height, weight and eye checks are done outside the rooms? LOL.. My friend is worrying about her modesty.. :D

jwright
07-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Good to know that there's nothing to worry about.

red_devilz
07-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Haha.. So only the height, weight and eye checks are done outside the rooms? LOL.. My friend is worrying about her modesty.. :D

On my way to UHC to do my checkup now :( , shall update you again :)

trish
07-23-2010, 09:19 PM
If i am planning on an official name change but would not be able to get it done before matriculation day, what should i do about it? How can i inform the school about my name change before school starts officially?

Lurv_1989
07-23-2010, 10:06 PM
On my way to UHC to do my checkup now :( , shall update you again :)

Haha.. So how was your medical checkup? Is it crowded?

LOL! I hope only the eye, height and weight measurements and tests are done in view of the others.. :)

mayumi
07-23-2010, 11:01 PM

LOL! I hope only the eye, height and weight measurements and tests are done in view of the others.. :)

Height, weight, eye, blood pressure checks are public.. X-ray, you will change to a dark blue baggy gown in the dressing room and wait for your turn to be x-rayed. Ppl in the waiting room can get a glimpse of those getting in/out of the x-ray room, so in a way it's not really private, but nothing you can do... Body check is of cos, individuals in a private room..

red_devilz
07-24-2010, 12:33 AM

Hi, I spent slightly more than an hour there. The above-mentioned are done in public view.

Well, for the xray portion, guys go topless in the room whereas girls are provided with dark blue baggy gowns, which are quite opaque. So no worries there. You will have to stand in front of the xray machine while the chest xray is in progress. So I guess your modesty is quite preserved, at least for the girls.

For the individual checkup done by the doctor, I'm not too sure for the girls. But the doc had me lie on the examination table, and pressed against my torso and parts of my tummy area. Well of course, this is done while the door is locked. :)