PDA

View Full Version : need information about quantitative finance major

needtoask
05-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Hi, i just recently received an offer for nus fos, that means im going to stand a chance to get in quantitative finance which the only major im interested in nus. May i ask how difficult to get in and what exactly u will learn? im fond of working in financial sector in future but im not sure whether this will suit me. Im a bit worried if i cant get a place in qf then i might have chosen NTU from now. i really need advice thanks

blackflame
05-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Hi, i just recently received an offer for nus fos, that means im going to stand a chance to get in quantitative finance which the only major im interested in nus. May i ask how difficult to get in and what exactly u will learn? im fond of working in financial sector in future but im not sure whether this will suit me. Im a bit worried if i cant get a place in qf then i might have chosen NTU from now. i really need advice thanks

Hi, I'm not too sure if this a bit too late. But nonetheless, I will give my opinions.

QF is under Department of Mathematics. You are not a QF major even if you are in FoS reading maths modules. You need to APPLY to become a QF major once you have read sufficient math modules and you met the requirements.

The competition is very stiff, I have heard of people even with CAP 4.6 get rejected.

hohoheha
07-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Hi, I kinda need a lil advice on QF major.

Honestly, I was wondering, based on past years statistics, what the chances are for local students to be admitted to the QF major after year 1. Because i understand that QF is a pretty much tough course to get in and most of the slots are taken up by the foreigners. If that is the case, I would not bother taking Applied Maths just so i can focus on something more tangible.

Really appreciate any advice on this. Thanks!

Btw, the QF i'm referring to is the one offered in NUS FoS.