PDA

View Full Version : Australia Medicine selection test ISAT

Alexender
05-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Hi,

Most of the Australian Uni offering medicine require applicants to take the ISAT-International Student Admission test: http://isat.acer.edu.au/ (http://isat.acer.edu.au/)

Has anyone taken the test before? Is there anyway to prepare for the test? Currently there hasn't been any practice questions other than the sample questions provided on the website. Does anyone know the optimal grades required to be shorlisted by AUS Unis?

cookiesNcream
05-15-2010, 06:02 PM
i took the test on a month ago. 3 hours long - don't be fooled if you did well for the sample questions posted on the acer website - it gets really tedious (like the SATs) towards the end so have ample hours of sleep, drink lots of water, have a bottle with you to keep you awake.

my idp adviser pointed this out:

For the University of Queensland, the ISAT requirement should be around 70% and there is no interview component.

Monash and UWA is the most rigorous of all, you need to score above 90%, then your chance of being selected for an interview is higher. You can don't have straight A's for A levels, but you need a good ISAT score as this will make up for it.

if i'm not wrong and if my memory doesn't fail, they give you passages (random kinds like scientific ones, literature, data, tables, charts) and quotes to decipher, so they're just basically testing on your

1) Critical reasoning
* Analyse information to determine the key claims or issues.
* Draw appropriate inferences and recognise main implications.
* Relate claims or information beyond the immediate context.
* Evaluate the significance and credibility of claims or information.

2) Quantitative Reasoning

* Analyse and categorise material to identify key information, and comprehend and summarise relationships.
* Make inferences and decisions based on evidence.
* Transform, reorganise, synthesise and apply information as appropriate for problems and decision making situations.
* Conceptualise a strategy to solve problems or identify solutions.

ISAT Scores for Critical Reasoning (CR), Quantitative Reasoning (QR) and Overall Reasoning (OR) are scaled in the range of 100-200.

ISAT scores are comparable between different versions of the test.

Percentiles (%ILE) show the percentage of candidates whose scores are lower than the reported ISAT score.

i got the above information from a link they sent me to retrieve my results.

i didn't really prepare for it, and i'm getting regrets now because the results came yesterday and i only got a 64% - bad!!! haha. Critical reasoning - 181, quantitative - 176, overall 178. yeah. i saw on forums that 185 would be a safe overall mark to aim for an interview place for aus universities.

to prepare for it - try to train yourself to understand passages well, perhaps you can do comprehensions from the SATs book? keep stimulating your brain.

all the best man!

Basmoth
05-16-2010, 03:01 AM
As there were a couple of comprehension passages, practicing on SAT passages might be useful. However, I did not find my prior practice to be of much use as the questions in the ISAT were completely different from those in the SATs. Personally, as cookies mentioned, I believe the most important thing is to getting sufficient sleep before sitting for it and to remain focused during the test. Also, please ensure that you're familiar with how the computerized test works!

Also, I believe UTas' cutoff might be approximate a 70th percentile as my friend who obtained a 75th percentile for his ISAT received a really late offer from them.

gumm3rz
05-16-2010, 09:50 AM
hey i want to prepare for ISAT,is it similar to the UMAT or is it more similar to the SAT?and cookieandcream thanks for telling everyone that the real test is not as easy as the sample questions otherwise we would all be too complacent.anw i'm applying for dent not med..

Alexender
05-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi,

Thank you for giving tips. I sat for the ISAT paper on Fri, as cookiesNcream put it, it was rather challenging lots of thinking to be done within a short period of time. I was told that the results would be out in 2 weeks time

Many thanks for the suggestions and tips,
Alexender

Zatch
06-06-2010, 07:46 AM
i took the test on a month ago. 3 hours long - don't be fooled if you did well for the sample questions posted on the acer website - it gets really tedious (like the SATs) towards the end so have ample hours of sleep, drink lots of water, have a bottle with you to keep you awake.

my idp adviser pointed this out:

For the University of Queensland, the ISAT requirement should be around 70% and there is no interview component.

Monash and UWA is the most rigorous of all, you need to score above 90%, then your chance of being selected for an interview is higher. You can don't have straight A's for A levels, but you need a good ISAT score as this will make up for it.

if i'm not wrong and if my memory doesn't fail, they give you passages (random kinds like scientific ones, literature, data, tables, charts) and quotes to decipher, so they're just basically testing on your

1) Critical reasoning
* Analyse information to determine the key claims or issues.
* Draw appropriate inferences and recognise main implications.
* Relate claims or information beyond the immediate context.
* Evaluate the significance and credibility of claims or information.

2) Quantitative Reasoning

* Analyse and categorise material to identify key information, and comprehend and summarise relationships.
* Make inferences and decisions based on evidence.
* Transform, reorganise, synthesise and apply information as appropriate for problems and decision making situations.
* Conceptualise a strategy to solve problems or identify solutions.

ISAT Scores for Critical Reasoning (CR), Quantitative Reasoning (QR) and Overall Reasoning (OR) are scaled in the range of 100-200.

ISAT scores are comparable between different versions of the test.

Percentiles (%ILE) show the percentage of candidates whose scores are lower than the reported ISAT score.

i got the above information from a link they sent me to retrieve my results.

i didn't really prepare for it, and i'm getting regrets now because the results came yesterday and i only got a 64% - bad!!! haha. Critical reasoning - 181, quantitative - 176, overall 178. yeah. i saw on forums that 185 would be a safe overall mark to aim for an interview place for aus universities.

to prepare for it - try to train yourself to understand passages well, perhaps you can do comprehensions from the SATs book? keep stimulating your brain.

all the best man!

I'm also planning to take that test on this year. This test is really getting me nervous because I don't have any idea about it. Thanks to you man for sharing your experience and knowledge in getting this test and passing it. I really appreciate you kindness.

TEJ
06-12-2010, 02:22 PM
WHERe can i get sample papers from, cuz i keep thinking dat they are really easy.
Is the ISAT easier than the SAT is there a science section? how much math do v need to noe?

xm105
06-13-2010, 07:58 AM
there's a short sample paper from the official website. isat is easier thn sat 1 in terms of language. basic scientific knowledge is enough, they wont ask stuff like how to get diol from alkene. o lvl math is enough, u wont need a gc.

isat is a no-brainer, just be careful and fast, 3 hrs seem like alot but its not like a lvl math where u can finish in half the time and check 3 times.

Alexender
06-15-2010, 01:03 AM
Hi,

HaS anybody sat for the PQA test? Heard that is was much different compared to the ISAT test. Does anyone know the optimal grades required to be shorlisted by AUS Unis?

Many thanks in advance,
Alexender

Wishful
06-23-2010, 04:09 PM
there's a short sample paper from the official website. isat is easier thn sat 1 in terms of language. basic scientific knowledge is enough, they wont ask stuff like how to get diol from alkene. o lvl math is enough, u wont need a gc.

isat is a no-brainer, just be careful and fast, 3 hrs seem like alot but its not like a lvl math where u can finish in half the time and check 3 times.

Its not like H2 maths too, finish the paper 30 mins early.. :(

cookiesNcream
07-02-2010, 03:15 AM

haha for me i wouldn't say it's a no-brainer because for almost every question i had to pause to think relatively long. (and i bet i still got many wrong) AKA i can't think on my own feet if something is thrown at me. the painful reality :o

jessica9310
07-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Hi there! I'm going to sit for my ISAT soon. May I know whether the test is like some of the online IQ tests/quizzes? And are the questions similar to UMAT? Thanks!! =)

medgal
07-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Hi there! I'm going to sit for my ISAT soon. May I know whether the test is like some of the online IQ tests/quizzes? And are the questions similar to UMAT? Thanks!! =)

I remembered it as a test of my English comprehension skill and Mathematical ability. Basically it's a mixture of compre questions and math-related problems. It isn't like online IQ test but I feel that one's ability to do well in this test does somehow reflect one's intellectual ability. Do check their official website and earlier forum posts for more detailed information.

beefchops
03-24-2013, 08:16 PM
I remembered it as a test of my English comprehension skill and Mathematical ability. Basically it's a mixture of compre questions and math-related problems. It isn't like online IQ test but I feel that one's ability to do well in this test does somehow reflect one's intellectual ability. Do check their official website and earlier forum posts for more detailed information.

Hi medgal
im taking my isat soon. just wondering if writing materials like paper for rough working are provided? and are calculators allowed?