PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying English Test for NUS

hello panda
05-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Do all polytechnic students require to take QET in NUS? O Level English is not taken into consideration?

http://www.nus.edu.sg/registrar/event/registration-qet.html

boredgenius
05-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Do all polytechnic students require to take QET in NUS? O Level English is not taken into consideration?

http://www.nus.edu.sg/registrar/event/registration-qet.html

apparently yes. i'm from a polytechnic too and was surprised to see the QET paper in my enrolment package. well, i guess, just have to go down to take the test.

hello panda
05-17-2010, 01:17 PM
But I heard it was tough and require us to write an argumentative essay... We have no GP background... :(

boredgenius
05-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Well, the sample paper will be out in June if I'm not wrong. I don't think it will be that hard, since its a one time paper and either a pass or fail.

Istvan
05-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Well, the sample paper will be out in June if I'm not wrong. I don't think it will be that hard, since its a one time paper and either a pass or fail.

Out of a group of 10 of us who took QET together (SG guys), about 3 failed...

hello panda
05-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Out of a group of 10 of us who took QET together (SG guys), about 3 failed...

Are you from poly or JC?

Istvan
05-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Are you from poly or JC?

JC...

remember not to fail so badly that you get grades 0,1 or 2. Grade 0 you have to go counseling :D grades 1 & 2 have to take two extra creditless modules

most people score either 3,4,5 (like me). 5 and above you pass. Grades 3 and 4 considered fail, must take one extra creditless module.

LoneReaction
05-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Any tips for poly students? The last time I wrote something like an essay was for O levels. I don't even think I can spell anymore. :o

Istvan
05-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Any tips for poly students? The last time I wrote something like an essay was for O levels. I don't even think I can spell anymore. :o

most of the other takers are foreign scholars who usually fail...so they will try to pass you if you demonstrate a basic ability in english and analysis
y s
it's not that hard to pass if you read newspapers and write stuff(?) occasionally. try to look at the practice paper they send you(?) or find sources around the internet to practice.

the test consists some basic elements like spotting 10 errors from a passage, filling in 10 words to a passage...the main element is a "critique". looking at a few sources provided, you form a response to a given question.

I took it 2 years ago so I might be wrong :O the critique was about premarital sex among teens and I basically argued FOR PMS. and got away with it lol...